About OpenTable

OpenTable is a cloud-based restaurant management solution that enables restaurant managers to accept online reservations and optimize seating arrangements. It is suitable for restaurants of all sizes. OpenTable is available in...

Browse OpenTable Reviews

Kelly M.

Reviewed on 10/06/2020

A great reservations software for restaurants

Everything about OpenTable for Restaurants was an experience worth remembering. I never found myself getting lost or hung up on a problem with the software and creating reservations for the guests frequenting the restaurant. It did such a fantastic job with estimating the time that a table will be sitting to eat, depending on their party size, and adjust the schedule based on this. There would be reminders and notes when this would be approaching so I could let the customers know in advance so they didn’t have to come in and get upset. It allowed us to be able to go above and beyond to ensure our guests had the four star experience they were paying for.

Pros

Where to start when it comes to the best features of the OpenTable software. First and foremost, it is incredibly simple to pick up how to use it after only a few reservations have been made, it’s that great of a system. As a front of the house team member, it allowed me to view the entire floor plan of the restaurant on screen in a visual way that made the most sense to me, which made making reservations that much easier. When it came time to create the reservation, it was a matter of clicking on the proper icon from either a view of the floor plan or a view of the timeline. You are shown an overall view of the guests names and their party size as well as given an estimated time their party will likely be sat given their past visits to the restaurant and based of the average time of a party that size.

Cons

The software version I used has since been updated several times and I’m sure anything that was missing then has been added by now. As a user for multiple years, I strongly believe that there was hardly anything I can think of that was wrong with OpenTable. It helped me complete my job efficiently and all the guests seemed to enjoy their process of using it as well.

Sarah J.

Reviewed on 06/02/2020

Great Reservation and Seating System

OpenTable provides a lot of functions that benefit us. From a seating system to online reservation system, it supports the flow of the restaurant. It provides features that allows us to keep up with guests requests, VIPs, referrals and even integrates with our email provider for marketing. It is a great overall tool.

Pros

It is very user friendly for guests and admins. It is easy to navigate and flows very well. Makes the experience better for everyone.

Cons

It works very well and there are not any current functions that we are looking for that is not provided.

Reviewed on 13/02/2019

Great to make online reservations

Overall OpenTable is a great tool to make online reservations; however, I do feel that they need to make some improvements especially regarding the reward program to make it more appealing.

Pros

I use OpenTable almost on a daily basis to make reservations for both business and personal lunches or dinners. It is very easy to use and you can book a table at a restaurant within minutes. I like that you can search restaurants by neighborhood but also by cuisine and price range. It is also very easy to cancel or modify a reservation. The app is also very convenient for any on the go need.

Cons

Their reward program is not appealing. The VIP status doesn't grant you anything. I wish they would design a program where VIP members get preferred seating, timing etc. Moreover, after you collect a certain amount of points, you get a voucher towards a future reservation; however I noticed that the selection of restaurants that accept the voucher is extremely limited. Additionally, not all restaurants are listed on OpenTable, which sometimes is not ideal

Top OpenTable Alternatives

Ilysse R.

Reviewed on 10/11/2020

Great for Reservations Online

OpenTable allows our clients to manage their own reservation systems.

Pros

As a website agency, OpenTable has been great to embed on our clients' websites to allow customers to make online reservations.

Cons

There aren't a ton of options in terms of styling the different widgets and browser testing for online reservations.

SeatMe

Reasons for Switching to OpenTable

The reviews were better
Thomas B.

Reviewed on 05/03/2020

Perfect for small independents

It easily allows myself as a manager and my staff to manage bookings, helps identify where tables are at, what time they need to be turned. Much better than a paper system.

Clear indication of bookings
Easy to make notes for specific bookings
Excellent in time management

Cons

Reduced cost from online bookings
More options to indicate where tables are at
Better automatic table allocation

(struggled to find many cons to be honest)

Reviewed on 27/12/2017

Excellent program

Pros

Exposure. But also many features to keep track of your bookings, who changed the bookings when, and history of return guests. Great customer service- you get right thru every time. Highly recommend.

Cons

I wish it would have the ability to get it on more computers without the extra cost. As a sales manager, if I could get it at home, I could work from home.

Response from OpenTable

Hello, thank you for taking the time to leave this thoughtful feedback! Per your comments about not being able to use your software across multiple devices or on-the-go, our latest solution GuestCenter does offer these features! If you call 1-800-OPENTABLE you can get more information about upgrading to GuestCenter and accessing those capabilities. You can also learn more on our website here: https://restaurant.opentable.com/products/guestcenter
All the best!

Replied 28/12/2017
Allison W.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 12/12/2019

Great Product, But Self-Loyal

Overall OpenTable works for our large restaurant, but at some point we will be pursuing ways to keep or increase cover counts at less of an expense.

Pros

OpenTable has a relatively intuitive interface and is easy to pick up. Plus, using Open Table give you access to their huge pool of users - so more potential reservations.

Cons

I don't like that OpenTable is only loyal to OpenTable, and doesn't help our restaurant create brand loyalty. If an OT user has a good experience dining with us, OT wins double because they're paid by us for the reservation, and also promote using additional OT restaurants in the future.

Geri C.

Reviewed on 25/02/2019

Easy Way to Make a Reservation

We have used OpenTable when booking restaurants mainly when traveling but also occasionally when dining locally. Most of the time we don't need a reservation locally which is why we don't use it more often. When using OpenTable we get a confirmation along with a reminder the day of the reservation.

Pros

Easy way to make a reservation and also earn points which can be redeemed towards dining. Many of the restaurants we have visited offer the option of reserving through OpenTable which is helpful. You can also let them know if you're celebrating a special occasion when booking your reservation.

Cons

The only thing I didn't like is that not all restaurants are available through OpenTable but I imagine that is the fault of the restaurants not signing up for the service. If the restaurant doesn't acknowledge that you showed up for your reservation you will be contacted by OpenTable to find out why. Luckily when this happened I had the receipt from the restaurant as well as photos taken there to verify we did show up.

Corine T.
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 25/04/2019

Great Way to Make Quick Reservations!

My overall experiences with OpenTable have been really great. I use OpenTable fairly often, especially with restaurants that I know require a reservation because it will be pretty much impossible to get a table without one. I rely on OpenTable and I have never had a bad experience. I never needed to worry that the restaurant I chose didn't get the reservation request. It is also good about giving you alternative times if the restaurant is booked for your selected times.

Pros

I love how simple and easy to use this software is. It is so quick and you can use it at any time. They let you pick any time and any amount of people and this works for pretty much every restaurant. I also like that the software sends reminder emails and texts to you about your upcoming reservation. There is also an option to add your reservation to your calendar. OpenTable is also very reliable, so you don't need to be nervous about whether or not the restaurant actually received your reservation request, especially because you get a confirmation.

Cons

There is nothing that I dislike about this software. I don't really understand what the points are for that you get when you make a reservation. This software is free to use, so I don't really understand why anyone would need the points because it doesn't give you coupons or rewards to use at the restaurants.

Philip M.

Reviewed on 19/05/2021

Extremely useful tool

I have never been disappointed in this app. I love it and will continue to use it.

Pros

This app is such a breeze to use. I use this almost every time we are planning a meal out, especially when we have larger parties. So much easier than having to call the restaurant. In just a few minutes you have a reservation at most restaurants as long as they aren't booked. You can choose the time you want to visit and the number in your party. Plus, you can use this app no matter where you are. I've used it on vacations many times. You can even cancel your reservation via the app if your plans change.

Cons

Sometimes, when you are trying to get a reservation for larger parties, you have to call the restaurant. Also, there are some restaurants that simply do not take reservations. Not the apps fault.

Micah P.

Reviewed on 22/11/2019

Crucial to high volume service

Well planned and thoughtfully designed tool that continues to improve and they have ample resources available to fully maximize on the software's capabilities!

Pros

OpenTable was easy to learn, streamline and has significantly improved as the program has developed over the years I've been working with it. I particularly like the timeline window for maximizing our seating availability.

Cons

We ran into issues with instances where if we were offline for any amount of time, online overbooking was known to occur. If there was an easy way to report issues in order to temporarily halt bookings it would be immensely helpful.

Heather W.

Reviewed on 02/04/2020

Very Handy Software!

It has most definitely made life much easier. It is simple to use, and easy enough to be fast and efficient. It won't tie up the hosts when they're adding in new parties and speaking to present customers. I love the ability to connect to guests, both in texting to let them know their table is available, and in the program's ability to add special details like Birthday or Anniversary reminders.

Pros

Open Table has been such a life saver! No more worrying about losing reservations or timing parties, everything is right at your fingertips. Its super simple to use and train, but has everything you need to run things more efficiently.

Cons

My only complaint is that I wish the tablets had a better run time. The battery life is a bit short for something that's going to be in use all day. DON'T forget to charge it over night.

Jessica S.

Reviewed on 12/04/2018

Great system for online and phone reservations

Pros

I like that you can set up your tables and time slots and move things around as needed. I love that you can put notes on customers and visits. Being able to have your own personal floor plan is also a nice perk.

Cons

They send confirmation emails but there is no way for the customer to respond to the emails. I wish you could also send text reminders to customers as well for reservations and use it to notify customers on the waitlist when their table is ready.

Jorge P.

Reviewed on 23/05/2021

Reservatiosn with open table

is very good but you have to be able to understand that depends on you how much you learn to use it because you are going to need to do research

Pros

It has a lot of settings that can make it easier to manage your reservations in the restaurant business, you have to understand the system but ones you know is a great tool

Cons

the are not too much info online so is difficult to learn, also usually the capacitation is given in the first stages of the implementation, but if you want to retrain your employees is difficult to have an apoinment

Stephanie M.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 19/01/2019

Never wait for a table again!

Setting location and time in advance creates the opportunity to never have an awkward or long wait time in a bustling lobby instead of discussing business in the privacy of a table.

Pros

Open Table is the greatest dinner reservation software! It not only finds restaurants in whatever city you find yourself but it finds the greatest opportunity for a table each day... even days in advance if you are on top of your plans enough! The app is the easiest to navigate and find the best dinner option without waiting on a long wait list at some of the hottest restaurants in town!

Cons

There isn't much to dislike about this software. The only disappointment would be that there is only 1 reservation offered per time slot. If you don't land a prime time, you could be waiting until 9:00pm or rescheduling your restaurant location.

Serah F.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 09/05/2018

Easily customizable to your exact needs & layout.

Pros

The training videos. The certification. The ease of navigating.
Opentable not only serves the guests, but gives hosts etc the ability to place guests with ease. The functionality is perfect.

Cons

That I can't seem to lock hostesses out of playing with background colors or code colors.
Notes are not saved automatically. Sometimes it's too busy to save before exiting.

Lena P.

Reviewed on 31/03/2019

Open Table Revie

We use Open Table at work when making reservations for lunch or business dinners. It it extremely easy and I always feel confident about the reservations placed. Open Table takes the worry out of making reservations and makes it easy and fun!

Pros

Open Table makes it super easy to make reservations without having to call and wait to talk to someone at the restaurant and then confirm once you get to the restaurant. With Open Table, I pick the date and available times and get an email from them as confirmation. I can add the event to my phone calendar and share it with my guests as well. Open Table also provides restaurants to try in my area and beyond and I have tried new places that way.

Cons

I love using Open Table. There is nothing I don't like about it

Phoebe T.
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 14/04/2020

Amazing for restaurant management and customers!

OpenTable has allowed my small business thrive in an area that is notorious for businesses closing down. Having an application like OpenTable enables my restaurant to organize what is going on at the restaurant and how we can best suit our customers for their complete satisfaction.

Pros

As a part time restaurant manager, I love being able to keep track of when my customers are reserving tables. I also enjoy making my customers’ meals special especially if it’s for a special occasion. OpenTable for Restaurants allow me to see why my customers are coming in (i.e. birthday, date, etc.) so I can best meet their needs. On their other hand, I’ve also used OpenTable as a customer. I do enjoy the design of the website and how easy it is to access. It’s compact but not too crowded and it only takes a couple of steps to reserve a table or contact someone at the restaurant!

Cons

I have no cons so far for OpenTable. I just hope that there will be a feature that allows restaurants and their customers to connect more.

Dana L.

Reviewed on 21/05/2018

Easy to use, functions well, keeps any restaurant organized.

Easy to use, easy to teach others to use, makes getting through the rushes organized and easier.

Pros

Super user friendly. It was easy to input orders with a nicely mapped layout of the restaurant, which help staff function more efficiently. Checking out is easy too. A really nice function of the software is that customers could make reservations, either online or by calling the restaurant directly, and once the time and date are input, it automatically updates the floor plan to include these reservations so tables don't get double booked.

Cons

Every once and a while, there would be issues of the software connecting to the printers, but we were always able to get things up and running in no time.

Chintan P.

Reviewed on 17/03/2020

Great Reservation System

It has been a good experience working with them. We also use Resy and feel it has better value for money than open table.

Pros

I like the use of the system and also the ease of working it. The mobile app is very effective and efficient

Cons

The charge associated with open table is far more higher then other online reservation platforms. Also for the price the customer service can be better

Reviewed on 05/10/2018

Last minute date saver

Always had a great experience and never fails

Pros

This is a great app that allows to you make quick reservations. What I like most is that it recommends restaurants based on old reservations and also give you reminders on upcoming holidays. They have a great and easy way to look up restaurants and with a larger crowd sourcing platform you get exactly what you expect. Never had any issues using this software.

Cons

What I like least about this is that is is not a comprehensive platform for all restaurants. This would be the best if it was the end all of all food reservation and review software. I hope they continue to build and grow there platform.

Alysha K.

Reviewed on 31/10/2019

OpenTable is phenomenal

LOVE! This app is the best for making reservations and I would highly recommend to friends and co-workers.

Pros

I love the ease of OpenTable. I meet with customers for lunch or dinner and can open up my app and get reservations almost immediately. This is great for the holiday season or season when restaurants are busy. It's also great on the go. Sometimes calling a restaurant is not convenient and this app allows me to make reservations when I have the time.

Cons

Not all restaurants are on the app which is a bummer. The App is so easy to use and would be great if every restaurant would jump onto the app and join!

Lauren A.

Reviewed on 20/03/2021

Open Table for All Users

I would say overall it has been pleasant and easy to use. I would recommend and personally continue using this for all restaurants that allow the use of this tool to set up reservations.

Pros

It is easy to use with straight forward prompts to set up a reservation for a certain number of people on a certain date and time. Within a minute, the reservation is set. It is easier than calling the restaurant and waiting to set up a reservation.

Cons

Once I received an alert I failed to show up for my reservation. I had to do some work to alert open table that my reservation was not missed. I’m not sure if the issue was with the restaurant or if it was a system issue.

Christina M.

Reviewed on 12/07/2019

Kicks customers off

Pros

Easy to make reservations and see availability without having to call.

Cons

Kicks customers off if they skip too many reservThe downfall is hosts MUST check you in if they decide to not use the computer as much they day or forget it goes against the customers account

Brian H.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 05/12/2019

Personal Use for Restaurant Reservations

My overall experience with OpenTable has been a positive one. It's easy to use from a user standpoint, and works with multiple platforms and systems.

Pros

OpenTable is a great software program for restaurants to get reservations from clients. I've used this on a personal level many times, and find the system extremely easy to use. They don't ask for extra information, just what's needed by the restaurant. It seems compatible with many different reservation systems, as well as incorporating into mobile apps.

Cons

As a user I have not seen any cons with this software. I would be interested to see what the other side looks like as a customer.