About Microsoft OneNote

Microsoft OneNote is a digital note taking app that can be accessed via Android, Chrome, Windows, iOS and Mac devices. The solution is well-suited for individuals attending numerous meetings per week and working on multiple...

Browse Microsoft OneNote Reviews

1,293 of 1,293 reviews
Nitin

Reviewed on 20/03/2022

Best note taking and beautiful featured windows software for daily use

Onenote is best tool for taking on going session notes while working on other works so basically it helps you multitasking and tremendously increase your strength. If you're a blogger and want to work in a offline environment then this is the best app to continue with.

Pros

When I encountered onenote first time I have been using it for just taking rough notes for my blog but recently I have encountered about their screen recording feature. Its shortcuts are really helpful without opening onenote every time one can take screenshot, copy it to clipboard and use anywhere.

Also I can upload any pdf in a text content, I can also add media file inside a doc file and send it over network. Even making to do lists, sticky notes and other daily tasks can be done at once in this tool.

Cons

It is really helpful tool but learning things make it complex further and also I cannot find any solution to use it in mobile.

Lack of personalization is also one of the lagging feature that need to be addressed in further updates.

Google Keep and Evernote Teams

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft OneNote

It is offline and you don't need internet connection to store and write any tasks. Other alternatives need internet connection as they store into cloud and make you use on any system without losing your content. OneNote allows you to add any type of file inside a text file, others don't have that much capability.
Hans

Notetaking in Microsoft Suite

Its been a great app for plain note taking, either it be an impromptu meeting where you need to take notes or for just having reminders somewhere safe.

Pros

If you already are familiar with the microsoft suite, then you should feel pretty comfortable to use OneNote. Its straightforward, there is no need for a tutorial as it visually is very intuitive. There are other great apps for note taking but usually have a very complex UI or various editing options that in the end, a user that only needs to take a few notes will find it overwhelming. However, for OneNote that is not the case. The folder organization is great, and the ability to click anywhere and begin typing is a subtle but gratifying feature.

Cons

There is no collaboration features implemented, which at this point should be a base feature. For the more picky users, there should definitely be a encryption option for a document containing sensible information.

• Industry: Computer Hardware

Reviewed on 10/05/2020

Many problems for a renowned product

I would give this a 3/5 star but considering how well-known and popular it is, then I can't give it more than a 2 star. It's ok.
Note this is the windows Microsoft Windows 10 version which is not the same as the Office 365 Onenote 2016 ... let alone others.
MS Whiteboard has issues but is much better overall.

Pros

Pros: Wide range of functionality. You can convert to different file types and insert files into it rather easily. It has great cloud support and is overall easy to access.

Cons

Cons:
There is great support for onenote on the web, but at least 90% of the searches I've done to troubleshoot an issue or functionality apply to one type of Onenote and not another... for some reason. I've spent many hours troubleshooting options that don't exist for one type or another. Example:
The ink-to-math is not present in this version. The ink-to-draw is not present in the office 365 version. Why?
There is a view option of fitting what's been drawn to the page width which will also show up if printed to a .pdf. What's bad is that there is no option for displaying where the pages end. I saw a comment from a developer about this saying that it would be too difficult. But I know they could figure out a way to do that. There are so many option. Just have the length of each page increase if a user increases the width to the right. That could cause issues if the user wants the content displayed on certain pages. So, have the page separators actually splice the content shown and add whitespace if page width/length grows ... or shrink/grow content of pages accordingly like a picture. Or, when in "page view mode" like this, warm the user if they are trying to grow pages sizes ... or just have a fixed page size in this mode!
My main issue: Why it is so glitchy with an epen. If I tap the screen it wants me to type - this happens a lot when I'm scrolling and not tapping also. The developers didn't input an option to make the pen the default and disable tap to keyboard.

Top Microsoft OneNote Alternatives

Mohamed

Reviewed on 01/12/2022

Creative product to save your data privately

Great period and I'll keep using the software for sure.

Pros

I like the ability to take infinite notes at the same time from any device and remotely.

Cons

I had no bad experience while using the product, to be honest.

Evernote Teams

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft OneNote

Because Microsoft OneNote is more useful and easier.

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft OneNote

Because I get to use Microsoft Outlook besides Microsoft OneNote.
Jose

Reviewed on 10/01/2023

Take notes like a boss

Overall great experience using One Note, best note app around.

Pros

I enjoyed very much how you can tag, organize and share so easy.

Cons

Audio notes could improve a bit with more options.

• Industry: Maritime

Reviewed on 10/12/2022

Faster than Word for note-taking, but some quirks I don't like

It's serviceable and gets the job done. I wish it was a little more like other word docs in the areas mentioned above, but at least it loads fast and has good organizational design.

Pros

It loads quickly and has less unnecessary options compared to Microsoft Word. I like the menu showing all of my previous notes, which I can group into different categories.

Cons

The feature I dislike the most is that a paragraph will start wherever you click in the Note. So I can click in the middle, and start typing, and that's where the text will show up. Why is this a feature??? I wish clicking would automatically go to the far left, like literally every other word doc (or note pad) out there. I also don't like that strikethrough and plain text copy don't work.

Ayush
  • Industry: Automotive

A combined Daily Task management Application

Pros

Most impactful features are: - Document attachedment with clouds - Autosync with other note apps - Easy navigation - Can be used on multiple devices, Which is very helpful

Cons

There are some key points which are need to improve: - Low performance syncing - Sometimes glitching - PC version is very smooth, but when it comes to Android it becomes very messy to use.

Khalil

Daily user feedback

It really helps me to store all my notes and then easily find them. It is connected to one drive which I can reach from other devices as well. In general, I am not having any hardship while using the software

Pros

Layout and design of the software is really good. You can exit it without saving and data is stored. Usage is very simple.

Cons

Editing features of Microsoft Word lacks in the software. As there is no ruler wherever you click you start to write the text. For me, personally, would be better to have a fixed location to type.

• Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Reviewed on 10/01/2023

It is a good Software

Overall I have had a good experience with the software, so far it has worked as it should, although for lack of some improvements migrate to a newer and more sophisticated app.

Pros

It is an application that allows me to store my notes and some important information to keep in mind, plus it has easy access.

Cons

is a software that is difficult to access the information from another computer, even if you have linked the account where the information was stored, it is also a bit insecure because it does not protect the notes with a basic password.

Syed

Your Notes Will not Disappear in the event of a Power outage

Its a great tool that lets you begin your day right where you had left off. Its also helps review the previous day's progress.

Pros

Every letter that is typed into the Microsoft OneNote, remains there regardless of whether or not you saved it.

Cons

The entire experience was above average at least. I can't think of anything that spoiled by experience using MS OneNote.

Chou
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 27/08/2022

Easy to use Microsoft OneNote

When I transfer my note-taking data to Microsoft Word or Outlook, either it's a miss or a hit. Sometimes it is the services area where the bad connection may work adequately. This will cause frustration, but overall, I still use it every day because it became my friend most time when I need to jot down and don't have paper and pen ready. This app will always be ready when I need to use.

Pros

OneNote beats Evernote in numerous ways, on account of its wide exhibit of highlights, including optical person acknowledgment (OCR), sound and video accounts, ink-to-message transformation, and directing. The best part is that OneNote's administrations are sans altogether. To utilize it, all you really want is a Microsoft account. On the off chance that you are now utilizing Office 365, Outlook, or other Microsoft applications, essentially sign in with your certifications.

Cons

One of the most disappointing parts of this program was the deficiency of data. Yearly program updates would lose information from the earlier variant to the refreshed adaptation. Having difficulties integrating with Outlook when need to transfer data.

Ashik
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 06/02/2022

Incredible application for note and document management.

For online task management or taking notes on business meetings, this is very intuitive and useful. It actually saved some time in arranging the meeting notes. Arranging and compiling clients data has become more convenient after using this application.

Pros

This software came with Microsoft 365 subscription. The features are very convenient to deal with. Taking any notes online is just a work of few seconds. The added task can be managed and the notes can be separated at ease. There is option for distinguishing the notes in arranging by sub order.Also, different types of annotation in different color can be added in files. The OCR is also a great addition to OneNote. The cloud backup is secured and saves a lot of time.

Cons

Sometimes,while taking notes in online meetings,it lags a bit. In working with bigger files,the pen sometimes do not change even after clicking.

Notepad++

Reasons for Choosing Microsoft OneNote

Zoho lacked some annotation features.

Zoho Notebook

Reasons for Switching to Microsoft OneNote

Microsoft 365 offered better integration and compact features.
Lex

Reviewed on 15/07/2021

Not my first choice

I need to concede, that at the outset I had numerous issues getting myself set up with one note, however from that point forward, it has been an outright lifeline. The entirety of my archives are in one region, I can get to them from each PC I own and Id need to say I use it regular, I in a real sense couldn't abandon utilizing this program.

Pros

Microsoft OneNote is loaded with numerous highlights that go past taking notes; it likewise gives you a few different ways to change pictures over to message. For instance, the OCR instrument permits you to snap a photo of an archive, business card, flyer or whiteboard, then, at that point extricate that content. You would then be able to save that content in OneNote, Microsoft Word or Standpoint.

OCR's productivity relies upon a few elements. These incorporate picture quality, the intricacy of the characters it is examining and the intelligibility of the transcribed notes. So consistently make a point to twofold check in the event that it perceives everything effectively. Regardless of whether OCR doesn't get each letter, it is as yet a vital life hack, particularly for organizations and entrepreneurs.

Cons

Matching up can take some time , Unacceptable portable application, Average web cutting augmentation

Google Drive

Already had an account
Kate
  • Industry: Market Research

Reviewed on 24/09/2021

Robust for Note Taking and Task Management, but incredibly slow

I have been able to stay better organized especially with using the to-do list, and I consistently recommend it to my colleagues despite the issues (lagging/freezing and different versions causing confusion) that I have experienced.

Pros

I regularly use (and recommend to my colleagues) the templates for to-do lists within One Note, specifically the prioritized to-do list template which automatically inserts High, Medium and Low priority groupings into a to-do list where you can easily add, move (via drag/drop) and check off items.

Because of the ability to create multiple notebooks, have individual tabs within the notebooks, and then individual pages within the tabs, there is the ability to manage and organize the notes and to-do lists very granularly.

The digital notes sync across all devices so you are able to add/view/update notes from anywhere that you have access to the app.

Cons

The app consistently freezes when doing even the most minor of tasks. I will access it to enter in a new note, the app will freeze and lag sometimes as long as 30 seconds before the changes I've made appear on screen.

Additionally, we have regular issues where users across our organization are seeing entirely disparate versions of the software. It is not as simple as the GUI being slightly different, but that they have an entirely different layout and it appears that they have different levels of functionality which has caused frequent issues with training and adoption. Now, that may be in part an IT issue on our end if users are getting different versions installed when they begin - however, it's a cloud-based service and I don't think it is acceptable that we could have such issues. There should be a way to update from the app to the latest version.

Naja

Reviewed on 20/05/2022

Microsoft OneNote, optimal Note taking and organization app

Overall my experience with Microsoft OneNote is a good one. I do enjoy using this system and application as a primary notetaking resource. For the cost, I do believe that it can be Utilized very broadly and that makes it worth it, however For students or organizations that do not supply this app it may be A cost that students cannot afford otherwise. In addition I would recommend to utilize a service that allows Alumni to also benefit from some student benefit for a period of time after they no longer have access to their university email because of the fact that a lot of the times students that are recent alumni are still using Microsoft and need a little bit of a longer window before being asked to pay for their own subscription .

Pros

In general Microsoft OneNote is my go to and favorite notetaking app as a professional student. I find that the ability to hyper organize by topic and category allows me to keep my notes organized. In addition the ability to utilize both type to text features on top of the ability to use Apple Pencil allows me to truly customize my notes as I see fit.

Cons

The things that I liked Lisa about the software are that once the Notes sizes get to be quite large downloading these notes from the cloud does seem to take an extremely long time. And when they are downloading from the cloud you do not have access to work on those notes. Or changes that you make might not be synchronized when you reopen the app either from another device or once they do download from the cloud. In addition in order to utilize the software you do need to have a Microsoft software subscription to use on safe for example an iPad with the Microsoft OneNote app. For a student who may not be able to afford it it is a pretty big lump sum. However I will say that because of the fact that a lot of universities and corporations supply Microsoft for their students and employees it allows students to continue to utilize it.

Francesco
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 09/07/2020

Replacement for blackboard

I use OneNote to lecture, using hand writing to match note taking pace of students. We think that for physics note taking and home reviewing them is an essential step in learning as it stimulates immediate questioning if something is not understood. Projecting the screen affords for large class rooms. Changing colors, moving sketches around works well, notes can then be turned into pdf or edited to produce better hand out. I use finite size sheets to distribute notes, during the lecture I use a continuous sheet.
The notebook is on OneDrive and is available in different devices, which is sometimes useful.
Overall this made a change from blackboard and chalk, and when remote lecturing came due to pandemics I did not change lecture habits.
These habits might look old fashioned but for some subjects that require reasoning, sketches, math, numerical computations, comparison with graphs, I feel these are necessary and OneNote gives a good support

Pros

Handwriting with a Microsoft Surface and its pen is easy, erasing is natural, select and move also. You can color your handwriting afterwards. For lecturing you can enlarge what you wrote, or pick up a detail of a sketch. I use it with small squares, which help writing in an orderly way. Printing can be of a single sheet, a section or more. The vey few times I went into a crash, recovery was fast and essentially no data was lost, all essential in a lecture.

Cons

Sometimes, quite rarely, the whole sheet moves, it probably depends on how you approach your hand before positioning for writing, this might be something inherent to pen tablets. In older versions the management of the sheet format (finite size vs infinite) was easier.

Jeremy
  • Industry: Writing & Editing
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 23/07/2021

Message to Self: Use Microsoft OneNote for Messages to Self

Whether I’m at home, or somewhere out in the wilds, Microsoft OneNote allows me to record all the things I need to remember, by text, speech, or photo. Because my memory is awful, I appreciate any tool that mitigates the pain of having lost my thoughts, and my mind, in the process. Having convenient folders in which to sort and store my thoughts, while creepy, is also pretty handy. But the best part is having a cloud connection between my phone and desktop. If I need to snap a picture of a research item and label it while I’m out for a walk, I can be sure I can retrieve it on my desktop when I get home. This requires having the downloadable app on my phone, of course, but when it’s free, it’s worth it. Because I already have it installed on my desktop (through my Microsoft Office 2013 suite), I don’t have to pay to use either. Not having to pay extra for an item I already own is always a good thing.

Pros

Folders can be labeled, so there’s no risk in confusing items. All notes are also labeled, so it’s easy to identify which note is which (as long as you give it a label you can identify). This makes categorizing notes simple and efficient. Files can also store text, photos, and audio recordings, so you don’t have to think on your feet when trying to record a note. Just use whichever input is most relevant to your situation. Cloud transfers from mobile to desktop are pretty smooth.

Cons

Compared to other notetaking software, it’s pretty basic. Sometimes notes are dumped into a global pile where you have to manually sort them. This isn’t a big deal, but it can add to your organizing time. (It’s also possible I’m using it wrong, but that in of itself is a con if auto-sorting isn’t intuitive.) Retrieving pictures for posting or editing is also more trouble than it’s worth. For the average user, the simplicity OneNote offers is fine. For dedicated researchers, a more robust platform like Evernote may be better suited.

Nolan

Reviewed on 07/02/2022

OneNote Review

I keep a few main pages and have them broken up into broad categories, and then spilt the categories into pages to have a more streamlined way of keeping track of notes, links and files. It's really helpful for keeping track of tasks you don't do very opften, or if you are helping to onboard a new coworker too. I even keep a daily to-do list running, it's such a great help for staying organized and ahead of the game.

Pros

What I like most about OneNote is it is my one-stop-shop to staying organized and on track without having to open a bunch of tabs/folders &/or documents. My favourite feature within OneNote is the ability to search, so if i can' remember where i stored some text or a document it just takes a second to find. Super easy & very efficient!

Cons

I'm being very honest here, i can't think of anything that would make OneNote better, it's truly something I couldn't do my job without!

• Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 18/08/2022

Great tool for for online note taking and organization.

Overall, I would still recommend using OneNote despite the occasional hiccups. It is a very reliable and easy to use note taking and organization software that I would recommend.

Pros

One of the best features is the easy organization that OneNote provides. You can create 1 notebook, with many sub-sections and within each sub-sections, you can have additional pages for notes. The software is very self explanatory so complete beginners/children can easily figure out how the notebook works. The organization of the notebook also allows you to move pages/sections around in the notebook which I really like because if you end up deciding that one page doesn't belong in a section, you can move it to where it belongs. Another feature that I really like is the photo/document adding tool. When using OneNote on the iPad, you can directly take a picture and upload it into your notes so you don't have to manually write down everything. It is also easy to add in a document/pdf/slideshow and annotate directly on it (if you have an iPad) and once you are done with the document, you can very quickly send it to an email/chat/person all just through the OneNote app.

Cons

There has been 2 instances OneNote has crashed when I've used the app for too long and some of the notes I had made did not save. Another thing that I wish could be improved is if there is an option to recover deleted notes. If you accidentally deleted a notebook because my hand slipped and pressed the wrong button and there is no way to recover that notebook/pages (at least that I am aware of).

• Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 03/08/2022

One Note Review

I’ve been using one note throughout my medical school journey. It has been a necessity with my note taking and studying regime. Can’t imagine my university life without it.

Pros

OneNote is easy to use and allows for easy documentation and filing for various notes. It’s appeal is that it actually closely resembles a digital notebook. This software allows for notes to be divided into sections which allow for the ease in note retrieval. I enjoy the ability to share and receive notes from other users as this enhances collaboration. This app is fantastic for organization as it allows for the creating of tables , the addition of pictures and embedding of videos.

Cons

My only qualm with OneNote is that when sharing, the files and documents are very choppy with some sync issues.

Dana
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 18/03/2022

It's Been My Second Brain For a Long Time

It lacks some basic features that their competitors have but that's the game, right? There's always going to be different software for different needs. But even in that, I think OneNote is a gem of a note-taking app and fits perfectly within the Microsoft 365 Suite, and within my life and business.

Pros

I think my favorite thing about OneNote is the ability to password-protect certain notebooks. Notion or Evernote doesn't allow that so I keep OneNote running as a backup specifically for this option. Once you dig in, the interface is intuitive and simple and just makes sense. Being able to highlight, draw and annotate is really great as well. I love Notion but it doesn't allow that quite yet so, again, OneNote has been a keeper for that reason as well.

I have notebooks from when I first started business (back in 2007, before Microsoft 365 came around) and they're still safe, password protected and sync flawlessly. I appreciate having that level of confidence in a piece of software that has stood the test of time and kept my data saved and intact.

Cons

There are times I wish I could transfer some of my notes easily to other platforms (like Notion) but haven't found a streamlined way to do this as of yet.

Clay

Reviewed on 27/08/2021

MS OneNOte Review

If you are looking for note-taking software, OneNote is the one for you! Easy to use and makes it very easy to stay organized!

Pros

OneNote is an incredible note-taking software! The best part is how It syncs with my phone, iPad, and computer, so not only can I always take notes (or jot down ideas/thoughts), but I always have my notes on me and can reference them whenever I need without having to pull out a notebook or the device I originally took the note on.)

Cons

I have not found any cons to this software. I strictly use it for note-taking, and I know some people use it for project management and have issues. But the note-taking side is very seamless.

KAES

Reviewed on 10/06/2021

essential part of my daily work

Overall, an essential part of my work flow, have used it extensively during any project planning and

Pros

offers a lot of very useful features almost like a full fledge word processor for a free, great for note taking, clipping, sharing....
Includes web and mobile versions.
Easy to use especially if you are familiar with Office.
Can be used as a stand alone product.

Cons

Like most Microsoft products, it can be slow and crashes without notice, unknown errors which are hard to interpret or fix pop up every now and then, pasting pictures needs some refinement as aligning pictures can be hard since it deals with the "page" as an open space.

Diane
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 08/08/2022

Nice digital notebook

Onenote is a nice digital notebook, I know a lot of people who use it and like it. I do like it as well, there are problems with it working correctly but I have never lost any of my notes, even those I forgot to save.

Pros

The pros of Microsoft Onenote are that it saves and syncs as you work and notes can be taken in text, recordings, handwriting, or drawings. Web page clips can be added.
Notes can be labeled and organized by pages and subpages, sections, and notebooks. Everything is searchable and notes can be read outloud.
Emails can be sent and converted into a note and notes can be translated into an alternate language. Onenote came pre-installed on my desktop and saves to onedrive. I like taking notes on my phone with onenote.

Cons

If I don't keep the cache cleared Onenote gets sluggish and can freeze on both my laptop and desktop. Customization level isn't good. When I want to transfer a note from Onenote outside of Microsoft products it can be difficult.

Arun Sarathy

Reviewed on 05/04/2022

Game-changer note-taking app!

Pros

Once I embraced the OneNote's way of notetaking nuances, there was no turning back. It completely revolutionized my notes and the history of notes. Now, all my notes stay put in different notebooks, sections and pages - neatly organized. This is really handy for note taking, be it on PC or mobile. Go for it!

Cons

It's different for different versions of MS Office. That's a bummer. Since I use both Home office and Office 365 I can visibly see the differences between two versions of OneNote and that UI difference for different users is evident.
Another one: not a big con, but I feel the tables within OneNote should have calculative capabilities like the features in Notion app. Apart from that, I'm happy with OneNote, and am going to use it for years to come, for sure.

Notion