About Postbox

Postbox is a fully-featured email app designed to provide users with access to all of their email accounts in a single interface. The app supports any IMAP or POP email account, including Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, AOL, iCloud,...

4.7
4.7

Browse Postbox Reviews

Mick

Reviewed on 03/11/2022

Postbox mail client

No issues at all, in fact fixed issues I had with other clients.

Pros

Switched to Proton Mail and used with Thunderbird, emClient, Mailbird, all had issues. Discovered Postbox and worked perfectly with Proton. Not only that but blown away by just how good this client is, best of the best in my opinion.

Cons

Nothing except would like an 'Undo Send' option (delay for say 20 seconds), have submitted as a feature request... pretty pretty please!

Lukas
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 12/05/2022

Best e-mail client IMO

Everyday user, multiple accounts (15) are managed simultanoesly. Business and private user.

Pros

Works smoothly even with many accounts. You can change folder for e-mails so your C partition drive on Windows does not grown day by day. but the best option is you can colour your e-mails with your numer pad - coloured topic are easy to manage if you use miltiple accounts and work on many tasks simultanously. 5 stars for developers and for Customer Service that hepled me from time to time with new features and some minor problem with my system (for example my fonts on windows crushed and CS helped me to find solution althrough it was not their job, e-mails with Georgia font was problematic). I use their app day by da within last 2 years and I am more than happy after transition from Thunderbird, Outlook, eM Client and after tested some more others...Postbox is best of them all IMO. I highly recommend !

Cons

List of supported languages.
I am from Poland and there is no Polish translation although there is Russian and some other big countries like Italian or German. Alternative apps have polish language.
I understand that it takes some resources to create more languages but not everyone uses English language at that high level to be ready to use only the english interface, so it is hard to recommend the app to friends in my country.

Laura
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 03/02/2022

Overall good product but with a few annoyances

Overall, my experience has been positive. It would be nice to be able to request a feature and receive a response from Postbox staff as to whether there is any possibility of implementation.

Pros

Postbox is relatively easy to use. The overall interface and design are well-done, which contributes to ease of use. Postbox has powerful search features and searches are rapid, after initial indexing has occurred. The ability to quickly filter by contact name or by other message characteristics is also very nice. Displaying just the names of attachments and being able to quickly review them is a big plus.

Cons

The most annoying feature for me is that selecting a topic for a message will add that topic to the entire message conversation. Often I want to tag different emails in the conversation with a different topic tag but this isn't possible. I've used Postbox for many years, but as my number of saved emails has accumulated, I need to be able to categorize them individually so this "feature" is increasingly leading me to consider other email software options.

Top Postbox Alternatives

Frank
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Reviewed on 12/08/2021

Postbox for selfemployed users

I manage all my business and private mails. And that does Postbox very good. It is much better than Outlook and a little bit better than Mozilla Thunderbird in the usability. But the other two have the better groupware and collaboration features (with add-ons).

Pros

In Postbox I like how easy it is to manage a lot of mailboxes (to group them for example in "business" or "private"). A big advantage is a very good "3-pane-view" and the quick filters for "unread" or "with attachement" or VIP persons. Then it is very easy to forward received attachements in a new mail with this sidebar in the compose window where you can see the last received attachements.

Cons

For business use I miss two things really much: integration of CardDAV to use my contacts that are stored in my private Nextcloud. So at the moment I have in Postbox different contacts than on my smartphone and tablet. And I miss also the CalDAV integration with an internal calendar. Some years ago there was a calendar add-on. So it is difficult to save or accept invitations directly to a calendar. Maybe a task management would also be nice (also together with the Nextcloud server).

Kaliko
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 15/08/2020

Highly Recommended

Postbox has allowed me to aggregate all of my email messaging into one place and keep my messages and attachments all organized in one easy-to-use and reliable local work area. I can't say enough, because I am truly indebted to the developers of Postbox for making such a great app and helping me organize my very busy messaging life and work/personal business for the past seven years.

Pros

Excellent management of my 35 inboxes. Yes, that's thirty five. But this app handles it with aplomb. And believe me when I say I have tried just about every email client and web app around (and continue to do so when new ones come out). But Postbox has stayed my first choice on my Mac for the last seven years. It's reliable, looks great in "dark mode", has great filters, lots of power "under the hood" for power users who want local email management (vs gmail online interface for example). Excellent search features (both inbox-specific and global), tagging (also automated via filters), and oh it's so smart! It knows if you intended to add an attachment but forgot to do it - it will remind you before sending, which is a nice touch! It has a timer when composing. Oh and it also has an "attachments" view which lists all attachments per inbox - a unique feature I love. I find the layout to be excellent and nicely configurable. Postbox Preferences are well laid out and plentiful. I could go on ... just get it and try it out!

Cons

The current version (7.0.25) I find confuses me with the "tabs" available in the interface to allow for multiple inboxes or folders to be open at the same time. I don't understand how or why they are sometimes automatically created.

Also, the "from" address field lists all available email addresses for the accounts you are using, as expected. But the list is seemingly unsorted and random, so for only a couple of "from" addresses I am sure it's fine; but for me with my 35 possible options, it's hard to find the address I want to send from if I need to change it while composing an email.

In neither case, however, are these small issues deal-breakers. Get this app and you will love it!

Chitu
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 23/12/2019

Smooth desktop email client

Overall, Postbox is great for my personal email, as I've described above. My only major negative is that I cannot use it on Microsoft Exchange--that is, the only negative is that they don't allow me to use it even more!

Pros

I'm a big fan of desktop email clients, rather than web clients, mainly because I can do a lot of email work even when I'm offline. Probably my favourite aspect of Postbox is the keyboard shortcuts. They are well thought out and so make my email use smooth--I can easily do so many common tasks with just one key click, such as moving messages to folders. In addition, there are so many tiny details that are almost invisible yet work so smoothly--I barely notice them until I work with other clients like Outlook. For example, when I delete messages, even if they have not yet been read, they are automatically marked as read when deleted so that I don't have to do the two steps of marking a message as read and then deleting it.

Cons

My big negative is that Postbox does not provide native support for Microsoft Exchange--it only provides IMAP. This is a deal-breaker. First, IMAP is not a full replacement for Microsoft Exchange, so there were so many little things that just didn't work right, even after I carefully followed the instructions on Postbox's dedicated page to customize settings to try to work around those issues. Then, to make things worse, my employer blocked IMAP on its Outlook accounts, so I cannot use Postbox at all any longer for my work email account. I now use Postbox only for my personal accounts and then Outlook for my work account. I've already requested Postbox to add support for Microsoft Exchange, but they said there was insufficient demand for that feature. That is always a very dubious reason for not adding features--obviously, there must be some business users who would have the demand for Exchange support but then don't even bother with Postbox once they find that it is missing!

Harald

Reviewed on 15/11/2019

Best option!

In sum, I am happy with the purchase if you are a major user of mail, but do not want to spend much time on it. Beyond what you have to, and one has to sort, group and have a workflow beyond Apple mail and where Outlook gets too "hot" on notifications and integration.
Would recommend it to anyone who needs Mail sotware, beyond using the smart phone for everyday use.

Pros

I like Postbox because it is clear, secure and gets the additions that I look for in a mail software.
Appears as secure in relation to insecure mail, also has the opportunity to have several profiles separated as work and private, but not at the same time !. Gives me good control of my mail in a satisfactory way.
Have either not started as far as I can see subscription, which I appreciate, one of the competitors has been uninstalled because of this.
Is a full and good alternative to Mail Mac, for Window it does not seem as big and heavy as Outlook.

Cons

What I don't like are any restrictions in integrating with other apps. It can come from security, and it can come across as messy, what I have registered with a competitor. But being able to sync or have a calendar would be great. Alle doesn't use OmniFocus, there are others too. And of reasons I have mentioned.
Failed to integrate Devonthink, nor spamsive. Difficult with tags, but there are at least tags;).
The price may be high, but as long as there is no subscription, you have to pay something !.

• Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 13/11/2019

I can't function without Postbox!

My job requires reading, accurately filing away, and responding to hundreds of email messages each business day. I've used dozens of other email clients and none of them can hold a candle to Postbox. For better or worse, I am hopelessly addicted to this tool.

Pros

There are so many features that Postbox has that I depend on day to day, I'm not sure where to start. I think the most useful for me personally is the ability to color-code messages and assign topics to them. "Accounting" is green. "Contracts" are orange. "Urgent" is red. "Publicity" is fuchsia. It's simple to categorize my email by urgency and topic this way. After that, the quick-move feature that also exists in the Gmail web interface that allows you to easily label and file/archive messages is great. They expanded that with the new "copy" feature which I am also using a lot.

Even some of the lesser-used but advanced features quickly come around as must-haves. One example is the new "clips" feature, which allows you to easily stylize outgoing messages to really let your emails stand apart from others in a long email chain. It's very useful. With the new version 7, we can also choose from a number of attractive themes which make the interface look very slick.

Cons

I have experienced some instability from time to time, but to be fair, I run about a half dozen separate email accounts consisting of hundreds of thousands of messages through Postbox every day. I also noticed that the software became much more stable after I upgraded to MacOS Mojave from High Sierra, so these matters were apparently not Postbox related, but instead OS related. To be honest, I have few complaints about the software, and the few times I have ever had to contact support, they have been extremely responsive and helpful.

Joshua
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Postbox: The Ultimate Email Client ­čĄę

Brilliant. Whilst the software itself is top drawer, the interactions I've had with the customer support has been nothing short of exceptional. I demoed the software during a sale period which ended before my trial. Without hesitation, the support extended the sale price for me once my trial was up so that I could capitalize on the special offer. I've never looked back since. I highly recommend Postbox and am a very happy customer! ­čą│

Pros

From the exceptional design of the GUI, to the functionality of the software, to the extensive feature-set and the software's ease of use, Postbox is the ultimate Email client. The sheer volume of features enable the user to completely customize their workflow and make it their own. Despite this, Postbox doesn't feel bloated in any way. It's incredibly streamlined and can cater for any type of user: from beginners to power users! Geared at the working professional, the ability to create professional email signatures is an excellent feature for small businesses, but this really is just the tip of the iceberg! The software provides many functions I didn't know I needed and they have all combined to make the emailing process simpler and more enjoyable! ­čśŐ

Cons

There aren't really any glaring issues that I've discovered. The software is able to execute my workflow with ease and there are many features that I'm yet to truly discover! I would love the option to color-code different accounts, so that it's easier to know which address you're sending emails from. Apart from that... I can't think of anything else I'd like to add for the time being! ­čÖĆ

Karen

Reviewed on 28/02/2020

I think this is the best email client available

I'm extremely happy with this client. When you are using an app nearly all day, you'd better love your email program. They get everything right.

Pros

I've been using email clients daily since Netscape days in the 90s. I think this is, by far, the best and most full-featured email program available today. I've worked with/tried many over the years. Particularly great is the "Responses" feature, that allows you to insert saved email snippets. I use it dozens of times a week to simplify my outgoing correspondence. If you've been agonizing about which client to use, I think I can save you a bunch of time (as I agonized, too). Very happy with this client--have been using now for about 4 years.

Cons

I've had an older version for awhile (I have an older Mac OS to preserve using some expensive design software), and they only provide online tech support for the most current version. But I'm running the most current version on another computer and it's very responsive online support.

Roberts
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 13/10/2020

Great Mail App

Great!

Pros

- Possibility to group email addresses in groups (not only in all-in-one inbox).
- One time paymant license. I hate monthly or yearly payments. I like to pay for app once and to use it. And if in future there is some update with significant features, then I can decide by myself - to buy or not to buy update, and if I decide to buy, then - when to buy.

Cons

It would be good to have in right corner on on right side some small calendar. I don't think integreated calendar (with Google calendar, iCal or others), but only calendar with monthly view to look date for. For example, if I write an email and must point out some date, i can quickly press some button and look to calendar dates - what date is next Friday, or what was date last Monday etc.

Reasons for Choosing Postbox

I wanted pro e-mail with one-time payment licence.

Reasons for Switching to Postbox

- One time Payment licence - Possibility to group e-mail addresses in different groups
Burak
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Reviewed on 13/08/2022

Affordable, easy to use but needs some improvements

Overall, I really like this e-mail app. Although, it has some cons which I explained above, it is totally worth to money.

Pros

The most important aspect of an e-mail app for me is the ability to create filters and Postbox does a really good job. It allows you to create filters, such as if the e-mail is from this domain or a specific e-mail address, move to this folder and assign this topic etc. They provide student discounts which is a big plus. They also have a lifetime license option and the app is continuously receiving updates.

Cons

The customer support should be improved and should be free. They try to charge you $8 per incident for the support. They are saying they would refund the fee, if your problem is due to a bug, but still it does not make sense to get a support from a paid app with an extra fee.

Lester

Good for Business Good for Personal

I started using (and recommending) Postbox during my time as a IT consultant to small businesses (who also love the software). I now am semi retired and us the software personally for my investment activities. Since I get a lot of old emails related to my former business, Postbox allows me to sort them into folders for a later look or delete them directly. I have multiple emails for security purposes and I am able to consolidate them into the single Postbox application. It is easy to use, easy to confiure, and it works all the time.

Pros

Ability to consolidate multiple emails onto one platform with the ability to send from any. Filter ability is excellent to group incoming emails into the best folder and in cases of spam directly to delete. Ability to search the contents of all emails (or select email accounts) in one easy search

Cons

Sometimes the indexing feature takes a long time and puts the software on hold.

Flavio
  • Industry: Music

Reviewed on 13/05/2021

Great work!

I can't speak yet about their support as I haven't had any exchanges yet. On the positive side, I haven't needed to contact them. Their getting started tutorials are excellent and comprehensive, and so is their knowledge base, for what I've seen so far, the app is very well documented.

Pros

LOVED the flexibility and slick design and powerful features. It feels really modular and that it will accommodate my particular workflow.

Cons

It would be great if one could additionally customize the icons themselves, at least the colors, also to eliminate the toolbar on top altogether, but I rest content :)

Reasons for Choosing Postbox

Mm, I've been really hesitant, for I loved Spark, but the main 2 decisions were: a) the ability to customize my interface and comprehensive features, and b) the better design overall.

SPARK

Reasons for Switching to Postbox

Most modular, with VERY comprehensive set of features, and yet straight forward for the purpose at hand, to be productive and have an aesthetically pleasing experience while sending emails.
Philipp

Reviewed on 12/04/2022

The email app for power users.

Pros

I have been using Postbox on my Mac for over a year now and it is without a doubt one of the most powerful email clients out there. Since I am a privacy advocate I am using ProtonMail for my personal and professional email. ProtonMail is currently available as a web app, and for Android and iOS. That means there is no dedicated Mac App available. Most of the time, I am working on my emails on my Mac, therefore I decided to go on the hunt for a powerful email client to work through my open emails.

Since ProtonMail uses end-to-end encryption there are very few email clients available that can be used with a ProtonMail account. One of them is Postbox. Postbox features a beautiful, clear, lucid, and modern interface. One of my favorite Postbox features are the power to group my accounts, view email in tabs, the search with advanced queries, and of course the quick bar to perform any kind of actions with just a few keystrokes.

Cons

Although Postbox is a lovely piece of software, I would say it is mainly aimed at people who are writing loads of emails, people who are power users. For casual email workflows you probably do not need all the features Postbox is offering, and therefore you might take a look at alternatives. But if you are on the hunt for a desktop client for your ProtonMail account you should definitely take a look at Postbox.

Dane

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

The only email app that I keep using

Postbox has made dealing with email less of a chore with the right mix of tools for my business needs.

Pros

Postbox combines the core features I need for an email app with an excellent support team. Management of multiple inboxes into both single and shared views makes it easy to manage my email, and there are several automation tools built-in.

Cons

I keep asking them to integrate Grammarly. That's the one thing I need to make me completely happy with Postbox.

MailBird and Shift

Reasons for Choosing Postbox

There were too many things that outlook just over-complicated and thus did poorly.

Reasons for Switching to Postbox

I bought and used several apps at the time. Post box just consistently offered the best mix of tools and features and made using email the most productive out of them all now, if they would add Grammarly integration.
Steve

A true email client

I have used Postbox since its first release. I have used it on both MAC and Windows OS and have always found it easy to use. The major plus for me is how easy it is to find an attachment and the way I can link to new emails. The program is built to be intuitive which means the hard work is always done for you. Every upgrade has left you with the same UI so you never had to re-learn how to use it. I currently store ten years of email on it so about 26,000 and have never had a problem.

Pros

Easy to manage attachments the "view" aspect of the program is what really makes it unique.

Cons

Does not always find the correct config when adding email addresses. No mobile version.

Glenn
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Reviewed on 08/01/2021

Postbox is a great option for users who want to keep their email on their own computer.

I've been using Postbox since 2014 and wouldn't have anything else. I went from using Outlook to Thunderbird and then finally to Postbox and wouldn't trade either of the other two for Postbox if they paid me to take them.
I'm not a novice user. I built and repaired computers for over twenty years and I know what works and what doesn't, Postbox works!

Pros

Postbox is easy to setup and easy to maintain. The user interface is simple and intuitive and updates frequently so you're always up to speed with new developments and improvements.
Customer support also responds quickly.

Cons

Postbox could use an option that would allow for easier synchronization between devices.
Adding email senders to contacts could be a little easier and it would be nice if it had two categories such as: personal and general contacts in which to add the new contacts.

SIVASHANMUGAM

Reviewed on 08/12/2019

My Post Box and Messages

All in one Mail Box

Pros

Attachment Finder, Multiple Domains, Easy to install, Agile

Cons

Slower when mail box is bigger, Indexing takes more time.

Nawaf

Reviewed on 14/08/2020

My personnel take

Overall It would have got a full rating if it was not for the tech support being billable considering I am a licensed user, and the fact of not having the basic ability to export accounts on the fly to another machine or same machine for a clean OS install, atleast the option to backup imap accounts / settings not folders should be standard.

Pros

Very clean light software easy to install, used this on my mac as well as windows with minimal issues. I like the theme option with the software and the ability to organize accounts groups as well as folders etc easily on the fly. There are still many features I have yet to explore but the most part I like most is the stability of the software.

Cons

The export functions for existing email accounts regardless of it being POP or IMAP needs to become a standard feature, as I have plus 20+ email account and sometimes I tend to move from one computer to another the part of not being able to just click and export my existing settings is tedious.

Another fair feature that one would ask for is for those who have a valid license then the tech support should at-least be free of charge and not billed per request.

Reviewed on 05/12/2019

Rich in Features.

I've been using Postbox as my main mail app since I purchase v2 in March of 2011 (technically I Beta test v1 so I've been a lifelong Postbox fan). I've seen a lot of changes in the app and I have always been incredibly impressed with the quality of product, focus on user security, and customer service.

Pros

Clean and simply user interface. The "competitors" can often overload their layout with too many ribbons and buttons. What I love about Postbox is they have simple and well organized design which focuses on mail. Plus, there are so many user tweaks, such as themes, Quick Post, and Focus Pane to name a few.

Cons

New Swipe Gestures on macOS, which are new to version 7 seem clunkly and hard to control the correct movement to select the right functionality. As of now, a box comes up and there is no "progress indicator" as to how far you need to swipe to get to the new gesture. Its current iteration seems overly bulky to the rest of the apps modern layout. I'd like to see a smaller swipe gesture (maybe something on the select piece of mail instead of hovering over the entire window --and-- have a much needed progress bar.

Dominik
  • Industry: Wholesale
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 26/01/2020

new and waiting to works better

download of new messages is happening only when I am looking into the folders. not when they really coming.

Pros

how I can organize everything. a lot of moving options, filters and organize options. looks like will work fine.

Cons

very usefull would be Icon on top menu, to mark read/unread emails. I did not found this jet. Also, the problem is, it looks like postbox loosing all emails from folders sometims. and it needs a time to download them again.

Microsoft 365

Reasons for Choosing Postbox

to many problem with messages. not loading, loosing etc

Reasons for Switching to Postbox

price and more usefull options. also, MS I use only when is no other options :)
Javier
  • Industry: Computer & Network Security

Reviewed on 13/11/2019

Good mailing software but has a long way to go

Good experience. I was using before Mailbird and emclient but I had lot of problems, so, I started looking an alternative and so I came to you.
I tried it and decided to buy it because it's really worth it

Pros

A lot of features
A lot personalization.
Good performance

Cons

I use it on Windows, I can't minimize it as an icon next to the clock.. for example as antivirus or Spotify, I can minimize these next to de click un the toolbar.

Sometime I have troubles with margin of the signature, if u want to edit it in the same email, margins are spoiled

I would like to have a way to organize better the email, for example there's an app on mobile, Spark Mail, it has a funtions to organize email by relevance, I don't know how it works exactly but is nice l.

Burak

Reviewed on 01/12/2019

Effective, simple but comprehensive

Pros

Been using Postbox for years now. I think started with version 3 and they are at v7 now. Continuously being developed it is a smart tool for anyone using they Mac as an office place! I am constantly on my computer and sending & receiving emails. It is a hassle free piece of software. Setting up is no different or difficult then any other mail software. I migrated from Outlook (back then) and it was far easier to use and was very easy to adjust to.

Cons

I have not managed to figure out how to import my settings and email to a new computer and I dont think the information available online explains it well. This weekend I have re-setup my MAC twice and both of the times I tried to import rather than having to setup all over again but failed. Luckily I am using my email accounts with IMAP connections so it was easy to sync but importing I did not manage. Also, I had to go to Mojave from Catalina and there were issues (stemming from Catalina I think). Back to Mojave and have no issues.

Milton

Reviewed on 11/08/2021

Manage your email in a professional way

My overall experience has been really satisfactory, being able to take my email management to another level. Labeling and filing in an easy, fast and productive way. Easily searching for all my information.

Pros

All the features are great, maybe because it is super intuitive (Thunderbird style). I have wanted to pay for it, because it had special features that have made my email handling efficient and productive.

Cons

I honestly don't see any missing function.

Gmail, Thunderbird and Microsoft 365

Reasons for Switching to Postbox

I wanted a native application that would work quickly and productively.