About SolarWinds Service Desk

SolarWinds Service Desk is suitable for companies seeking a help desk solution that offers IT service management (ITSM) functionalities. SolarWinds Service Desk offers comprehensive service desk functionality that helps businesses...

Browse SolarWinds Service Desk Reviews

520 of 280,800 reviews
  • Industry: Warehousing

Reviewed on 10/10/2018

Good Out-Of-Box product for small, scalable team

We were attempting to solve the issue of ticket management in the IT department. While it was a great out-of-the-box solution, it didn't offer the unique scalability we needed and the customer service wasn't helpful in growing the product with our needs. However, I still believe that, for a small shop, this product offers the best value for the price and is a great entry-level solution.

Pros

I like that, out-of-the-box, Samanage offers great core functionality with a stable product that ties neatly into a beautiful UI for the end users. The UI is where Samanage really knocks it out of the park though. It's modern, simplistic, "forum" layout is attractive and intuitive, and chat indicators on the tickets feels like your moving from a traditional email reply into a IM chat.

Cons

There's a lot to be desired when it comes to the fine details of the service. There are specific customization options for project management and ticket automation that aren't available that we wanted in our shop. When we reached out to our support member to discuss a possible addition/fix. They advised us to post our suggestion on their feedback board and if it received enough votes they would implement it. The same suggestion was found submitted over a year ago on the board (with over 300+ votes) yet no action was taken. I was hoping for a more, collaborative answer, instead of posting on a forum board in hopes that other members validate my need for them to implement it.

Matthaniel C.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 21/10/2019

Great Product for Helpdesk, Task Management and Software Inventory

Pros

This solution is great for tracking incidents, solutions, problems, etc for company IT departments. It provides an easy to use interface that allows for easy creation of FAQs and a Solutions Database.

Cons

There are some things bulk items that cannot be imported without the use of the API, which is a tiny bit annoying, and some of their python and Ruby API sample code is out of date or no longer maintained.

Zendesk

Reasons for Switching to SolarWinds Service Desk

It seemed to have a more in-depth product that gave us the detail that we needed and the integration that made our lives a little easier.
Scott J.

Reviewed on 07/11/2018

Great little ITSM

They have been a great partner to work with bending over backwards to accommodate us in our mergers and acquisitions as we consolidated tenants and imported and exported data. They listened to our feedback and incorporated some of our ideas into their final product as well. They are a company that will work with you to get the job done the way you need it done.

Pros

This is a great ITSM. We have been with them for many years and have watched them grow. They have a lot of the features of the big name systems but without the high cost. If you are looking for an ITSM that will get the job done here it is. While it does not have all the expanded features of some of the big systems it has asset management, change management, incident management and a service catalog which is all you really need to get started. Plus they have integrations with other platforms like slack for interating with your tickets. Overall a good choice for an ITSM

Cons

The only drawback would be that they are a young company and they do not have all of the in depth features of some of the big ITSM's like Servie-now and others. But then again do you really need all that complexity?

Top SolarWinds Service Desk Alternatives

Todd T.

Reviewed on 07/04/2016

Strong service desk software with a lot of potential

Benefits:
1. Its easy to use and looks nice. Staff have required very little training, despite not having a centralized system.
2. Its pretty flexible. It's able to do about 90% of what we want it to do.
3. Support is active and engaged. Their community website has a lot of activity, both from others using the product as well as comments from Samanage's support.
4. Its actively developed. Recently Samanage unveiled their Labs feature, which allows areas to enable or disable new features to test out their functionality prior to implementation.
5. Reliability. Being a cloud service, you need it to be available and accessible. We've only had one minor outage during our time with Samange, and that was resolved quickly. They also provide great visibility into their uptime through a website, http://status.samanage.com

Problems:
1. Filtering. Filters for incidents need additional work to become more robust. Currently, each new filter type acts as an AND filter, while multiple of the same type of filter act as OR filters. In some cases, you can't achieve the type of filter required at all.
2. Reporting. While the built-in reporting looks nice and has some decent out-of-the-box reports, it's not at the level of sophistication most organizations really need to get their full value out of this product and the data it has. For instance, there is no query builder or ad-hoc reporting, so you're limited to what you see.
3. Groups and Roles. Groups are treated like individuals, so if you report on a group's incidents and one of the members in that group has an incident, you won't see it, which is challenging. Roles are pretty robust, but a person can only belong to one role. If you have exceptions for individuals, you basically need to create a special role for each one of those cases which won't scale for large organizations.
4. SLA's and automation. The current SLA implementation is restrictive and cumbersome. And that's pretty much the only way to provide any sort of automation to routing, closing, etc. for incidents.
5. Slow feature development. Samanage has done an excellent job of rolling out various features throughout the year. However, there are some long-standing feature requests that have been in development for years and executing on them has been slow.

While the above issues are a concern, I have faith they'll be addressed and result in a stronger product in the long run.

Jeremy J.

Reviewed on 07/04/2016

Samanage simplified and expanded the feature set of our current Incident Management System

Samanage helped simplify our incident management, expand our feature set and ultimately helped us increase the capabilities of our customer support and information management on the support side.

We were really impressed with the import capabilities and admin capabilities provided right out of the gate. We were also impressed with the flexibility of the licensing and the willingness to help package exactly what we needed for our solution. One feature we have greatly benefited from is the Contract Management which helps us track the different contracts we hold with customers.

The Service Requests have also helped guide users into providing information for their requests, making our job easier when trying to facilitate the requests and needing certain information to do so.

We were not impressed with the limited capabilities of the Solutions portion of the application and this carries over to the Help Desk Portal which has no current way of organizing Solutions based on the customer or "Site", category, or any such other filters. There is only the option of displaying the solution Internally, which is good because in that view, we can create filters to organize and make sense out of the hundreds of Solutions we have created. But, we really wanted to improve the self help capabilities of the help desk portal we are provided but with the current way Solutions are shown on the portal, we can not use this feature to show customers common solutions to their problems.

Overall, Samanage has been a great asset to our support team but we are hoping to see some improvements this year when it comes to permissions for viewing Solutions and also organizing solutions on the Help Desk Portal in a manner similar to how the Service Requests are displayed. I should note that since this is a SaaS solution, we instantly see improvements and features being added and the community.samanage.com site is very active.

Lastly, I want to praise Samanage's help desk and engineering team which has been spot on with their support and solution delivery. We have helped to find a number of bugs and problems throughout our use and usually we will see these problems resolved within a week or less which is incredible turn around time for fixing minor issues in a software solution if you look at other companies and traditional on premise software.

Matthew M.

Reviewed on 15/02/2019

Samange - Cloud based Support Desk

Great software, have used this at two different firms now. Simple and easy with great reliability and reporting.

Pros

Samange is very quick to setup, customization's are easy and don't require programmers. The software has many editable fields that allow for quick reporting, SLA tracking, and user satisfaction.

Cons

The only limitation to Samange that I have seen is if you are working to resolve an item it is a one to one relationship. I would like to see the outbound emails tagged so that if a 3rd party is engaged and reply's via email it is auto captured in the system. Many to one responses are lacking.

Greg C.

Reviewed on 27/03/2018

This makes project management a snap

Pros

The software is robust and full features, everything from helpdesk to asset management. Also the integrations are great, having it easily connected to our zendesk instance allowing the ability to connect issues from zendesk to assets in samanage. This also makes tracking asset warranty simple.

Cons

When we purchased samanage it seemed to be focused on the asset management. Now they've geared to push more towards the helpdesk software built into to it. Not being able to disable to and remove the options.

Brad M.
  • Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 09/03/2018

Better than other products but needs some TLC

Pros

The biggest advantage my team has with Samanage is that you can create solutions for common issues, that you can easily attach to a ticket and not have to re-type the solution over and over again. Other then that ticketing system is fine, does what we need it to but reporting could use some enhancements.

Cons

Would like a more in depth reporting mechanism, could be that my company doesn't use the tool to the best of it's ability but there needs more vision on software/hardware we have.

Eric B.

Reviewed on 27/06/2018

Easy to configure & use Help Desk & Asset Management tool for small to medium-sized business

In the three years we've used Samanage we've had just over 7,000 tickets, we've been able to add and remove administrators and task users as needs arise and jobs change. We use it for onboarding, offboarding, inventory & ticketing. Works great.

Pros

Works great in all browers, workflow setup was easy, inventory client collects a ton of data that we've used to target hardware and software upgrades.

Cons

The agent for inventory management had some weird numbering issues, but other than that, i have nothing bad to say about the software.

Terence S.

Reviewed on 10/04/2018

Well designed and easy to use.

Saves time and makes it easier to manage service desk requests.

Pros

Interface is intuitive and setup is easier than most Service Desk software I've used in the past especially with the help we received from the samanage implementation team.

Cons

Adjusting and maintaining the views that I want. I'm fairly picky with how I want things arranged and depending on how I navigate through samanage, my views can revert back to defaults. I feel there should be a more consistent behavior with views.

Sergey L.

Reviewed on 04/12/2019

Great Service Desk solution

Pros

I like how everything ties into one interface. Change requests, incidents, asset management, service requests, problem management, knowledgebase. It makes it very easy to link and reference these items as well. The user interface is clean and easy to use.

Cons

I dislike the software management portion of this solution. It is next to useless if you need to manage software licenses or counts.

Reviewed on 08/12/2018

easy to use for incident tracking

we wanted a more user friendly and simpler approach for our internal users and IT staff and this was a great tool. Super easy to use in comparison to other similar software I have used

Pros

I used this at work mainly as a service desk tool for our internal users. I found this super easy to use, and manage my open incident tickets. I like the interface its fairly intuitive. I particularly like the customizable dashboard view and the colour coding of statuses so its easy to see which tickets are open or need urgent attention.

Cons

the costs of adding extra administrators so we were limited.

• Industry: Oil & Energy

Reviewed on 29/12/2018

Modern, Practical, Suitable, Low TCO

Our organization has downsized significantly in the past 3 years. Our former ITSM solution was costly to license and maintain. Without an in-house specialist, the help of a third party implementer was required to make significant changes or implement new modules. It was beginning to feel like overkill for us so it made sense to switch to something we can maintain ourselves and where cost is more in line with the size of our organization. We had to switch ITSM tools on very short notice. Thanks to a positive reference from a peer organization, we decided to evaluate Samanage before looking at anything else. The sales team was very helpful and quick to respond to all of our questions. Our trial environment was up and running in less than a day, and production ready with Incident Management.

Pros

Samanage was easy to evaluate and we were able to configure Incident Management and migrate our Knowledgebase in just under a day with next to no assistance from the Samanage team. We are pleased that we can now utilize our implementation hours to learn the more advanced automation features of Samanage.

Cons

The mobile app is nice but seems limited. There is a real opportunity here to expand its capabilites and flexibility.

Britney F.

Reviewed on 17/07/2018

Very great experience

Tons of benefits it helps make our job easier each day because we definitely utilize this software on a daily basis.

Pros

I like being able to schedule tickets and notify the users that we're coming; this software is definitely a major part of our daily task.

Cons

n/a-I don't have anything bad to say about the software honestly..I'm glad to have it as apart of my daily job.

Ryan H.

Reviewed on 07/04/2016

Support is non-existent and clunky. Interface good, but needs work.

Samanage's software is the 5th HelpDesk software package I have used in my professional career of 20 years. It has some nice features, including the automated inventory for Windows workstations, and the ability to setup custom SLA's. But that is where the positive end.

Things I don't care for are outdated "help" articles in their support portal, written by their own staff, that are inaccurate, and wasted over two days of my time trying to implement something that I discovered didn't work, then when I flag their support, I get a brief apology. Support is terrible, if they cannot write and police their own articles for accuracy. I don't appreciate organizations that cause more work for organizations using their product.

The system does not allow for UNC paths to be set as links in the system. This prevents our organization from sending "clickable" link to help staff add printers, map drives, etc. Only hyperlinks that go to the web are able to be made clickable.

Searches are another headache. While it is nice that it searches across everything to yield results, you have no method to filter the results returned to a date range or the ability to sort the results by a certain field.

We also had to take their supplied agent (for automated inventory), and build our own MSI package for deployment. Unsure why they are not able to do this themselves, but it is frustrating.

No native iOS app is available, for the technicians to use, and using the HTML 5.0 interface is clunky and not very useful on iOS devices.

The software has a lot of potential, but still needs a lot of work.

Response from Samanage

Hi Ryan - We're always looking for feedback and suggestions to help us stay agile and keep up to date with our customers. Our community is a great way to engage and find help, however we realize that as the software continues to change, some of the solutions within the community can get outdated. We're always working to update as we go! As your customer success manager, I'd like to apologize if the experience with our support team was challenging. Our goal is always to surpass your expectations.

Our search and filtering functionality has seen some enhancements over the last months and once we connect, I'm happy to take you through some of the enhanced dynamic reporting functionality that comes with the updates. I will reach out to set up some time for us to speak. - Britt, 919-648-0785

Replied 07/04/2016
Graham R.

Reviewed on 13/04/2016

Simple and Elegant

We have been using SAManage for almost 3 years now. The product has grown a little and the improvements are fairly useful. We find that not all of the features fit our needs, and at times the software is more comprehensive than what we can ask for. The real plus to SAManage is the utilization of newer web technologies, the SaaS nature, and the ease of use. The product is easy to use in both the back-end as an administrator, and in the front-end portal as and end-user.

Support is friendly and helpful and the built in intercom chat is a handy feature. I have found one or two bugs over the last three years and they have all been resolved by submitting a ticket and reporting the bug to the team or via the community. A few feature requests we made have also been added, and it seems the new features are largely community-driven.

The community is excellent. I don't participate as much as I'd hope, but the forums are active with SAManage discussion, feature requests, and more.

SAManage has experienced one or two service disruptions since we started, but they were only for an hour or two at very most, and often times they're not even noticeable.

My biggest gripe with SAManage is the lack of native Single Sign-On support. However, SAManage integrates excellently with OneLogin, which has also improved over time and works really well once configured.

I recommend SAManage to any team that needs a simple, forward-thinking product to leverage basic asset management and ticketing.

Reviewed on 29/10/2019

I can manage, but just...

I just get by with SolarWinds Service Desk. Someone else picked it for the lowe price, and I really wish they'd paid more for a nicer product.

Pros

The customizable filters and bulk actions are *super* handy when you have a set of actions or responses you do very frequently.

Cons

This software looks like it hasn't had a UI update in a decade. Probably my biggest petpeeve is that you can't include pictures inline with body text.

Reviewed on 08/03/2018

An excellent IT Service Desk App that offers a lot to praise with features, mobility, and...

Pros

The application integrates extremely well right from the beginning. The security is fantastic, ensuring we never have any concerns & the pricing plans are extremely reasonable, making this our number one choice.

Cons

When comparing Samanage to other Service Desk apps, you begin to notice there a few missing features. However, because Samanage does everything else so well, the inconvenience becomes incredibly minor.

Scott C.

Reviewed on 24/02/2020

Seven Hills School

Pros

Ease of implementation, customizable features, syncing with G Suite so users could sign in with Google.

Cons

Some of the features are not quite intuitive, for example, the chat function appears to work without setup but it's I'll need to contact support as it is not working. Some of the customizations of the user portal are a bit hard to find from the admin side.

Giva

Reasons for Switching to SolarWinds Service Desk

I liked their overall interface better.
Sara H.
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Reviewed on 30/06/2014

Implemented recently in our team as a workflow management tool

Pros

Samanage is a very easy tool to set up and navigate. Our department implemented Samanage about five months ago and has used this tool to log and track service requests through to completion. This enables department oversight of our activities, provides real time management and activity execution, and allows us to collect process performance metrics. Samanage has met our need to track our inbound request in one centralized repository, replacing our previous fragmented process. The vendor has been extremely resourceful and amazingly accessible; their lightning-fast responses are much appreciated!

Cons

An issue we have come across is the inability to backdate certain process tasks that may have occurred when an individual was out of the office, which impacts our overall service numbers.

Also, it would be helpful if there was an SLA around due dates. For example, it would be nice to have a reminder notification to alert users when an incident has almost reached its due date.

Reviewed on 23/01/2018

The product is stable and reliable

Integration of modules and Cloud based system

Pros

The integration of the modules I use each day. Each module has a relation which can be switched by a specific link in each page

Cons

A more refined searching capability. When looking at an Incident, I would like to be able to search for the Incident number, not everything that matches. Possibly the ability to search specific items or all of them

Justin S.
  • Industry: Government Administration

Reviewed on 19/07/2017

By far the best Service Desk app out there! So easy to use and it literally manages everything!

Samanages all in one management system handles all aspects of a helpdesk app plus a whole lot more. We are even able to enroll our company cell phones!

Pros

The work order system is so easy to use, and is modifiable to specific users. You can also keep track of your inventory including printers!

Cons

I cant say there is anything I like least about the product, every aspect of the product works great in my opinion.

Michael H.
  • Industry: Legal Services

Reviewed on 06/12/2019

New but Happy

we have been a long time Solarwinds customer and expect that this experience ( although new with SWSD ) to be any less exceptional than previous products

Pros

We are very new to the product but I truly love the integration with the Orion Platform. it also has a great UI and so far it has been very fast to respond

Cons

you cannot convert an incident to a service request.

Keenan T.
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Reviewed on 14/01/2019

Amazing piece of software!

Pros

Samanage is a super easy-to-use risk management software. It is also used for inventory as well as Incident Management. The amount of features that Samanage has definitely makes it a multi-purpose application. Luckily all the features are implemented in a slick UI that is easy to navigate and quick. The customer support for Samanage is superb. This is a must-have application for any business

Cons

I have not encountered any problems or things that I dislike about this software.

George A.

Reviewed on 12/03/2018

Fastest Path To Service Management

Pros

We are really impressed to with the ability to tie incidents to problems and changes. Great management and analysis of all support tickets raised.

Cons

We've not been able to take advantage of the process features within the service catalog. There's always some glitch that keeps us from getting an advertised benefit