About Help Scout

Help Scout is a cloud-based help desk solution that helps small businesses and small teams manage their customer relationships. Help Scout is designed to look like a personal email. There are no ticket numbers, case numbers or...

Browse Help Scout Reviews

Anthony R.
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 02/09/2020

Live Chat + KB --- Count Me In!

Whether it's pre-sales questions or general customer service, Help Scout was there from day 1. I was able to have them answer all of my pre-sales questions within a day or two, it mainly took so long because I wasn't sure of what all I needed but they kept responding question after question.

Even after the fact when I signed up for their trial they started sending me helpful auto generated emails for tips and tricks on how to use their platform.

Since it was a new platform of course I was bound to get stuck at times, but I was able to reach out at all times and get a reply back promptly. They were even nice enough to extend my trial because I hadn't gone through all of the features in depth yet.

Pros

They refer to support tickets as conversations, which might not seem like much at first but if you really think about how much you value your customers you will appreciate this verbiage.

They have offline/live chat support pop ups that they call "beacons" and you can have different ones depending on where a customer is at on the page. This was extremely helpful for me as I am selling software so having a beacon on the general website for pre-sales was a must but I also wanted a secondary beacon behind a paywall for premium support and their platform allows for this type of setup.

Lastly, most live chat companies only cater towards just that --- live chat. However, I wanted an all in one solution of live chat + a knowledge base. Help Scout has both available within their platform and it's super simple to setup.

Cons

The only thing I feel they could improve on is more features as far as layout and styling for the knowledge base. It was lacking in that sense but other than that I didn't see anything that I personally needed to be different.

Zendesk, Crisp, Intercom and Freshdesk
Ridge S.

Reviewed on 29/04/2021

Pretty good, the price increase is unfortunate, but it is a solid system.

Pros

The software is pretty easy to get setup and using, even if you need to transfer info from another system. It is a very streamlined ticketing system.

Cons

It likes to stop functioning from time to time. You will go to reassign a ticket to someone and it'll take 10 minutes. It usually clears up after a bit, but for them to have just done a price increase for this product with no real enhancements (at least none I've noticed) its odd that this is happening so frequently now. They also made some changes to the reporting which at least made our lives a little more difficult for the type of reporting we were doing.

Ashlee B.

Reviewed on 28/01/2018

The best help desk experience I've ever had

Pros

The customer support is phenomenal! The Help Scout team is personal, friendly, and fun- a pleasure to interact with any time I get the chance. But because the software is so seamless on its own, a rarely have to reach out for support. I most appreciate the reporting features that show conversation rates and customer happiness.

Cons

I would like to be able to export a list of customers I have spoke with over a set time period, so I would be able to automate outreach and followup. As of now, there is no established way to export lists or data.

Top Help Scout Alternatives

Sid A.

Reviewed on 27/07/2020

The best CRM I have ever seen

I've seen, used and implemented several CRM solutions in the past and helpscout just blew them all. I now use them with all my clients! Great security too and functional system. the BI features are well appreciated.

Pros

In my 20 years I've never come across such an elegant solution as Help Scout. Everything works good, looks good. Nice integration with E-commerce platform Woocommerce.

Cons

The messaging feature is over-priced. $50/month just for showing pop-up messages in your widget is a but too much!

Daniel H.

Reviewed on 03/03/2016

Our company has been using Help Scout for a little over a year now.

We are a small business that has been steadily growing over the past two years. We began searching for a unified help desk service about 18 months ago. We tried another service first but found the cost and initial setup too daunting. We began a trial of Help Scout shortly thereafter. During our trial the Help Scout staff was eager and willing to offer assistance but I never felt pressured into committing to anything until I knew it was the right service for our company. They even extended our trial by two weeks because I had been so busy with other things I hadn't had enough time to test it out. In the beginning we only used the service to handle our e-mail and fax business. The fact that Help Scout integrates with our phone/fax service as well as our live chat service is awesome! Over the course of the next year we began utilizing more and more of the services and features Help Scout offered. We have found that the company has always been quick to respond when we had a question or needed assistance and was very open to any ideas or features we would like to see. They have implemented new features that have been invaluable in our day to day operations. We found the pricing structure to be very fair and flexible to suit our needs. The initial setup was very intuitive and only took a few hours before all of our services were up and running. I never felt pressured into paying for any services we didn't need. Overall we have been very happy with their flexibility and willingness to offer assistance when needed. We've very excited to try out some of the new features just implemented in the Help Scout Plus service and appreciate the offer to test it out before we commit to upgrading. Very happy customer!

Margo G.
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Reviewed on 30/09/2020

My everyday support system

Overall Ive been very happy with my experience.

Pros

I absolutely love the templates, and tagging features. Also the knowledge base was super easy to set up.

Cons

I would love to be able to create templates for subject lines!

Intercom

Reasons for Switching to Help Scout

Price
Matthew S.
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 07/09/2015

Makes life SO much easier

HelpScout has become an essential, can't-do-without part of my workday with how savvy and helpful it is in organizing contact with our customers and giving us a handy module for FAQs to boot.

Pros

- Keeping un-answered emails bolded even after you've read it once,
- "Traffic Cop" for keeping egg off your face in case you send an email before reading a follow-up email from the customer
- Intuitive inbox and Doc-editing interfaces
- Ability to tag email addresses and assign conversations to a particular team member
- "Show original" option to see the email in its original formatting, in case HelpScout's interface isn't able to accommodate
- Quick customer service response times, to fix problems in a pinch
- about 20 other things :-)

Cons

Pretty minor, really:
- Sometimes the inbox counts don't always update automatically (between 30 seconds and a few mins, depending on the day)
- I honestly can't think of any others (seriously, it's that good)

Vivian C.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 23/10/2019

Great product

I’m so glad I started using helpscout, it’s easy to integrate with other apps we’re already using and our whole team loves it.

Pros

I use helpscout as a simple task management platform for a small team. I know there are other task managers out there but helpscout is so easy to use and simple in tracking tickets, assigning and closing, it’s all I needed to stay organized with projects and small tasks for my team.

Cons

I wish I could get more details in the reporting. Maybe I have fully used it to the full potential but I would love to have full reports on each team member and how long each task took them, and be able to see this at a glance.

Mark S.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Reviewed on 25/02/2019

We Use Help Scout for managing our IT calls

Pros

-Ease of use.
-It helps keep all of our service calls in one place

Cons

-Since we are using it for service calls and not for help desk, it doesn't do all the things we would like it to do. It would be great if you could create forms that you could fill out.

Chelsea M.

Reviewed on 26/02/2018

Help me Help Scout!

All of them, to be quite honest!

Pros

As a small startup I have been doing support from my email inbox for a long time. Help Scout has saved me from this! I can now search through support requests and understand the metrics/ trends behind them.

Cons

I would like to see more in terms of visualization. You can tag certain requests with things, but I wish this process was more automated.

Brad M.

Reviewed on 10/12/2015

Does everything we need regarding tracking of Customer Service communication

I am sure we use Help Scout in a different way than most. We are not a 'call center' or even 'customer service center' in the true sense. We are the Technical Support department of a Medical Device company and use Help Scout to track not only emails to/from our International Distributors service organizations, but also voice mails from our U.S. customers. As voice mails are left, no it is not acceptable but unfortunately necessary evil at times, an email is also generated and put into the specific mailbox.
Not only does this allow us maximum visibility, I can run reports monthly showing number of voice mails left and especially how soon they were answered. Metrics I use monthly and share with senior staff.
The only thing that would really be beneficial to me would be the ability to export reports into Excel, or even as CSV. The reports are already very easy to use and gives all the information required. It is just sometimes I would appreciate the ability to modify and drill down even further, even create a pivot table, using the data available.
Help Scout is always quick with a response and assistance. Any time we have had issues, or even questions or feature requests we receive the answer.
In conclusion, Help Scout has helped us help our customers in a better and more efficient way. That is all I can ask. Well, and the reports exported to Excel !! :)

Larissa A.
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 11/01/2018

Everyday use for support of prospective users on an educational website.

An easy, quick way to provide support for all prospective students who come to us wanting information on our product.

Pros

Its User Interface, it is extremely simple and friendly. It's also fun, the little messages whenever you have a clean folder is always a great pick me up throughout the day.

Cons

Its search engine, when trying to pinpoint specific tickets with certain filters, the filters sometimes do not work and fail to give a filtered search that's helpful towards finding context on a specific issue that's been handled before.

Mark L.
  • Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 23/07/2018

Effective basic help desk software

Pros

We don't have a complicated support team/process, and Helpscout has done the job for us. I love the templates feature (though I'm sure that's standard amongst competitors).

I am not wow'd by it, but I appreciate software that does what it says it will do, and Helpscout does that. I would strongly recommend it to anyone with relatively basic support requirements, only because I haven't seen in action with teams of more than 3, or for teams that require deeper analytics.

Cons

They are working on a live chat feature, that will be nice when it launches. Using a separate tool for live chat is a little annoying, and I'd like to integrate it and track it alongside of email support.

• Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 28/11/2018

Great For Keeping Track Of Emails!

Pros

I love that multiple people have access to the same group and can work on the load of emails. It is a great way to team up and tackle those large inboxes.

Cons

At times, I have to refresh the site a couple times to clear out the inbox after I have closed all of the different emails.

Courtney V.
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Reviewed on 22/09/2017

Made it easy to manage email

Better communication.

Pros

This improved communication with our group and made having two locations much easier. Documentation is also clear.

Cons

The phone application is probably the least favorite part of helpscout. I'm able to use the desktop most of the time so I don't use it all the time.

Amy S.
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Reviewed on 06/09/2018

Help Scout

Pros

Ability to format the support page to our liking. They continue to work on missing features to improve user experience

Cons

The reporting part isn’t great. I would have to say that they need to improve this part to provide better insights

Kristina M.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 25/12/2017

Awesome Product

Pros

After taking over mid-stage with a company that just launched their paid service with ALL kinds of customer service & payment issues, Help Scout was a saving grace and helped get a handle on each issue.

Cons

I honestly cannot come up with a con maybe other than a better integration with Infusionsoft however that may not have anything to do with them it may be restrictions by Infusionsoft.

Brett L.

Reviewed on 20/03/2019

Problem Solving to the Max

Very useful and works well. Allows us to solve and technical issues people are having in a very timely manner.

Pros

I love how easy it is to have questions or errors come in and then be able to pass them along to the proper person or department for review and execution.

Cons

The overall process of assigning to someone and the buttons could better display what does what.

Laurel G.
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Reviewed on 23/06/2016

My business would be totally lost without Help Scout

We use Help Scout within our small team to manage ALL customer interactions. It's amazing, and we love the mobile app for ease of communication within the team. This way nothing falls through the cracks and customers get a fast response time.

Pros

- Super simple user interface
- Built in canned responses make collaborating with the team really easy
- Ability to add notes between team members
- Merge feature between tickets to streamline operations

Cons

- Load time can be slow when forwarding in emails
- No real-time notification when a new ticket comes in (you have to constantly refresh the page)

• Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 18/07/2019

Lifesaver!

LOVE it!

Pros

I love Help Scout. It is a great resource to help you stay organized and allows you to not have to give your personal email/information to clients. Would highly recommend.

Cons

I have no complaints thus far! Working great!

Kathy D.

Reviewed on 19/10/2015

HelpScout is awesome

Email management is no longer a source of frustration. HelpScout has been practically effortless to learn and use. Simple but powerful features like email status (active, closed etc.), team member assignment, internal-only comments for each message and saved replies (think saved scripts for commonly asked questions by email) have saved us a tremendous amount of time and kept us organized...resulting in better response times and service for clients. No more inbox madness! And, my personal favorite, a tool called "traffic cop" intuitively intercepts messages that you probably don't want to send. For instance, Traffic Cop has stopped messages for us when two team members are responding to a client at the same time (thank you for sparing us that embarrassment!) and messages that crossed paths with incoming ones from clients (thank you for not letting us foolishly ask questions that were already answered!). HelpScout is a great fit for companies with teams who want clean email organization without the complexity.

Ayca M.

Monkey See, Monkey Do

Help Scout has changed the way we handle Support request in an extremely positive way. I know that our emails to our clients are in good hands when going through Help Scout, and it's great that I can keep track of whether or not a client has read our responses and their reports and insight help us analyze what we do well, and what we can do better.

There has been only one instance I can recall where Help Scout ran into a glitch, and they were immediately responsive and helpful with the situation. They were proactive in that they emailed their clients and informed us of not only what had happened, but of what to expect!

Help Scout also writes extremely helpful blogs for any Client Service related business! I've learned a lot, and will continue to read these as their published. The subject line, "Monkey See, Monkey Do", is because it's clear that Help Scout follows their own advice when it comes to servicing clients and keeping them happy!

Jordan S.
  • Industry: Publishing

Fantastic Helpdesk Solution

I am utterly enthused by HelpScout! It is fast, elegant, and even sometimes fun to use. Almost everything I need to serve my company's customers is included right there in the app. Plus it has a nice API that our webmaster has used to give me information from our online store about past customer orders.

Pros

- Easy interface that allows me to quickly move through my open tickets.
- Quick assignment to other workers.
- Beautiful saved reply search feature makes it simple to answer frequently asked questions.

Cons

The only real problem I've had is that the attachment system gets stuck whenever I try to upload by dragging files into the window. Otherwise, HelpScout is brilliant.

Josh T.

Reviewed on 19/02/2015

Perfect Helpdesk software - everything you need for quick, enjoyable workflow

Pros

I like the workflows that are easy to set up and customize on the fly, mixed with the customer pane that pulls up additional customer information. It's also very quick - zero friction from waiting for page elements to load.

Cons

The only complaint I had was fixed by HelpScout a few months ago!

Paul Y.

Simplest HelpDesk Solution I've Used

I'm a founder of a bootstrapped SaaS app, and only have 10 hours a week to work on it outside my full time job. That means I need a help desk product that gets out of my way and let's me quickly answer my users' questions and keeps track of what questions have been answered and what questions still need followed up on. I tried 4 or 5 different help desk products, and HelpScout was the simplest and its workflow made the most sense to me. I absolutely love how all the support tickets can be taken care of through email, and I don't have to login to the HelpScout app if I don't want to.

I've been using HelpScout for over a year now, and recommend it to anyone looking for a simple help desk product.