About Box

Clinical research data, loan applications, blueprints, and videos: It’s all content. And it’s your organization’s most valuable asset, no matter your industry. Box gives you a a single, secure platform for managing the entire...

4.2

Browse Box Reviews

4,927 of 4,925 reviews
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Reviewed on 08/01/2023

Professional Software For Professional Teams

Box has allowed my team to securely manage and store data and documents for several clients. The tool is easy to access and use, and keeps our data safe and secure.

Pros

Box is a powerful cloud storage tool that makes it easy to store, share, access, and edit documents in a secure and easy to use environment.

Cons

I have noticed no cons thus far, and would highly recommend Box to other teams.

Oğuz
  • Industry: Computer Games

Reviewed on 09/12/2022

A Comprehensive Review of Box Software: Pros, Cons, and Final Verdict

Box Software is a great choice for businesses of all sizes, offering a reliable and secure cloud storage and file sharing solution. The wide range of features and functionalities make it an ideal choice for teams working on projects remotely. The user-friendly interface allows for quick and easy setup, and the ability to store and sync files across multiple devices is extremely useful. However, the lack of version control and the pricing plans may be a deterrent for some users.

Pros

Box Software offers an easy to use, intuitive user experience with a wide range of features and functionalities that makes it a great choice for businesses of all sizes. The ability to store and sync files across multiple devices makes it particularly useful for teams working on projects remotely.

Cons

There is no version control feature available, meaning that users must be careful when editing files as the latest version will always be saved and any editing mistakes cannot be undone. Additionally, some users may find the pricing plans expensive compared to other cloud storage solutions.

• Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 13/01/2023

Solid cloud storage

I have mainly been using Box for document storage and on rare occasions have I used the file-sharing option so my experience with editing documents, collaboration, and the use of apps such as Zoom, Zapier, Airtable, etc. has been very limited so far.

Pros

The user interface in Box is one of the features I like the most since it mimics the user interface I am used to when working with local files and folders on my computer. You also get many options to interact with files and folders via right-click.

Cons

Depending on the computer and internet speed it can be a bit slow to work on in a browser. You can sync your Box account with your computer but it will save files and folders on your local hard drive. This will speed things up but you will not have the immediate benefit of features such as editing documents in the cloud.

Top Box Alternatives

Bhushan
  • Industry: Chemicals

Reviewed on 05/01/2023

Top Digital asset management and storage platform

Top digital asset management tool with the latest features, can use for large content projects and files /data management as well as transfer.

Pros

Box is the best platform for managing digital assets, contents, big files, asset libraries, etc. with features like access/permission to secure or limit particular data. It is possible to manage data remotely and share it securely.

Cons

Can collaborate with more ticket management tools like JIRA, MS Projects

OneDrive and Google Drive

Reasons for Choosing Box

Collaborative approach & latest digital assets management features

Google Cloud Storage

Reasons for Switching to Box

Reliable and widely used by almost all industries for cloud storage and online assets management

Reviewed on 16/12/2022

Awsome product for the money

in total, all of my colleagues are really satisfied that's why even we're using Microsoft we haven't used its feature for file management.

Pros

This product is awesome for companies who need to have a reliable, safe place for their documents, I can count some of its great features compared to the competitors:1.easy use and great way of sharing both internally and externally2.having the online editor which holds the history of files (Word, PowerPoint, etc) which makes extremely helpful for troubleshooting.3.it has great reports that you can see your last status easily.4.it can be integrated easily to your existing single sign-on solutions like okta which makes it even more powerful.5.great collaboration ability and security features.

Cons

We were trying to use the Box sign feature, however after investigation we found out it doesn't have some of our legal requirments.

• Industry: Cosmetics

Reviewed on 05/12/2022

Amazing cloud storages and easilly accessibilities of files.

Its excellent for use as its not a must to have box account to access storage fils.Its secure for data storage.data storage is free and data can be accessed from anywhere always.

Pros

Users dont need to sign in their box accounts to access the shared files.makes it easy for files sharing with external parties.its very secure in files storages,its amazing in use.

Cons

The fact that it does not interfrate well with otger applications.its does not work well as other cloud storage softwares.its diadvantagrous to users as they need more.

Google Drive

Reasons for Switching to Box

Its easy to use and we wanted to consider external user without accouts.
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Reviewed on 10/12/2022

Good alternative to cloud storage

I have benefited a lot from transferring my work with this tool. I hope to make offers

Pros

Real-time file syncing across all linked devices and accounts is truly amazing

Cons

The price is a bit high / make offers PLZ

Felix
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 30/12/2022

Box Review: A Project Manager's Perspective

Overall, while Box has many strengths as a file sharing and content management platform, the limited free plan, complexity, high price, and security concerns are all points that give me pause as a project manager.

Pros

Its simple and intuitive interface, which makes it easy to upload, share, and manage files and documents. The platform also offers a range of collaboration features, such as real-time editing and commenting. Box offers a variety of tools for managing and organizing content, including document previewing, version control, and user access controls.

Cons

As a project manager, I have some concerns about using Box for our team's file sharing and content management needs. One issue that I have is the limited free plan. While I appreciate that Box offers a free version of the platform, the limitations on the amount of storage and the number of users we can invite to collaborate could be a drawback for our team, which needs to manage a large volume of content and has a larger team.Another concern I have is the complexity of the platform. While Box does offer a wide range of features, I'm worried that it might be difficult to set up and use, especially for team members who are new to content management software. The learning curve could be steep, and I'm concerned that it might take a lot of time and effort to get everyone up to speed.The price of Box is also a concern for me. As a premium product, it can be expensive compared to other file sharing and content management tools on the market. This could be a significant investment for our team, and I'm not sure if it's a cost we can justify.Finally, I have some security concerns about using Box. While the platform does offer a range of security features, such as encryption and access controls, I've heard reports of data breaches and unauthorized access to accounts. As a project manager, it's my responsibility to protect our team's sensitive data, and I'm not sure if Box is the right choice for that.

Swapnil
  • Industry: Investment Banking

Reviewed on 12/01/2023

Best Collaboration and file share cloud management tool.

My overall experience is good with respect to file sharing and the accessibility from multiple application and with the well desired approach.

Pros

As a user of the product I am using this from last years and my experience is good.1. Better integration - Easy to integrate with the different application like MS Teams and all.2. Can able to work in better collaboration approach which helps to manage the product cycle desired manner.3. Provide best security to the shared document which helps to manage and complete the security concern.

Cons

There are few points under this like :1. User interface is bet complex and can be more simpler.2. Observe delay in most of the time to reflect the changed and update while working with larger team.3. Costing is more and will impact the project mitigation.

• Industry: Computer & Network Security
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 15/12/2022

Really Not That Good

For the one feature we needed (file upload integration to a website that was secure), it worked. Most of the other features they offer were clunky when compared to other softwares on the market.

Pros

It provided a solution to integrate file uploading to a website for a specific operation we needed.

Cons

Cumbersome, clunky and just not as good as most of the other software on the market, in our opinion.

Reviewed on 14/06/2021

Excellent document storage & management

Box empowered us to build a robust document repository that makes it simple for anyone on our team to find the files they're looking for.

Pros

Box has made our lives a million times easier by empowering us to store, organize, and share files of all types. We save our company assets, photos, Microsoft Word/Powerpoint/Excel docs, PDFs, etc in various folders. We love the ability to tag files so we can find them easily. The document sharing features are excellent. I especially like the preview feature (it's much better than Google Drive's preview option).

Cons

My biggest complaint about Box isn't Box's fault – it's my company's settings. My company chose to have shared file links expire after about 30 days, which is a pain in the neck sometimes.

Reasons for Choosing Box

Box has a superior interface for storing & previewing non-Google files (ex. Microsoft Powerpoints).

Dropbox Business and Google Drive

Reasons for Switching to Box

Box was superior in how files were stored & shared.
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 13/08/2022

Smooth and feature-rich

I use Box to backup and sync shared projects. I appreciate the fact that my contacts can set up a fully-functional Box account for free, something that makes it considerably easier to bring them on board. The interface is intuitive and easy to use, so you get started in a few minutes and then are good to go. The web interface helps you learn about collaboration features that make your work more productive.

Pros

While most of the time I just use Box as a way to backup and share files on the cloud, I have occasionally used its collaboration features and I find them amazing. Team members can exchange messages, views, links regarding a document that is being drafted. Some of these functions were gradually added to productivity softwares like Office, but you are bound to use OneDrive to have them (and I don't want to be captured by a specific cloud storage provider).

Cons

The desktop client has had occasional crashes from time to time, but I am unsure whether this may depend on my side (e.g., Windows updates that need some days to be "digested" by the Box software). Overall, I find this product stable and reliable. In my limited experience, I cannot think of any major feature that is not already included.

OneDrive

Reasons for Choosing Box

Sugarsync has poor technical assistance and is not entirely worth its subscription fee.

SugarSync

Reasons for Switching to Box

OneDrive is powerful but rigid, e.g., your path and file name may not exceed 250 characters, which may be an issue when you work on complex projects with lots of materials.
  • Industry: Translation & Localization

Reviewed on 12/01/2021

Good Free Version but expensive Business options

Storing documents in the cloud as a back-up solution, sharing documents with collaborators and clients.

Pros

Uploads and downloads are fast, sharing files or folders is easy, as an editor or viewer, and it is easy to use.

Cons

The Business options are expensive for small businesses since they require you to purchase multiple licenses, not only one. If you get the Individual license you are not GDPR compliant, thus it turns out to be expensive for SMEs.

Dropbox Business and OneDrive

Reasons for Choosing Box

Uploads/Downloads are faster than the Dropbox paid Business Account and you avoid document conflicts you have with Dropbox. BOX is much better in that case.

Reasons for Switching to Box

OneDrive is connected with my Office 365 subscription and I might lose my documents if I switch account. Dropbox has some document conflicts and uploads are extremely slow with DSL.
Jolie
  • Industry: Wholesale

Reviewed on 25/09/2019

Organized and accessible

Box allows us to work collaboratively with teammates all over the world, both inside and outside our organization. The workflow is very smooth and we are able to make live updates to documents we work with regularly. The experience has been very positive and a big improvement over what we were using previously

Pros

Box has great storage capacity and many useful tools for editing and syncing items. It's a very flexible, scalable tool

Cons

We rely on Box so much that on the few occasions that it has gone down temporarily, we have been stuck until it's come back online. The good news is that this has happened only once or twice in 3+ years.

Google Docs

Reasons for Choosing Box

Cleaner interface, better user experience, more reliable & capable

Kalina

Reviewed on 23/09/2019

Very straightforward

I use Box Sync pretty much for two purposes, though perhaps they're not the target use cases the developers had in mind!

1) I use it to send files to myself between computers. I have a desktop and a laptop, and it's a convenient way to share large files between the two. For small files, I often use email, but that has size limits. With Box, I can just upload a file on my laptop, then immediately go to my Desktop and download it. Easy peasy! It's even more convenient than using a flash drive.

2) I use it for sharing collaborative files, i.e. PowerPoint presentations that I'm giving with multiple presenters. It's not perfect, but it's the best way that I've found for keeping large PPTs, with multiple presenters, in sync (when I want to use PowerPoint and not Google Slides). I coordinate with the other people so that only one of us is working at a time, and when the one person is done and their changes are uploaded, the next person can take a turn at making edits. PowerPoint does have "auto-sync" functionality but I've found that using this Box method is even better!

Pros

The software is very straightforward to use. It's a simple interface. In its most basic form, it's just a place you can upload, download, and share files.

If you are a (slightly) more advanced user, you can set up "Box Sync" so that a folder on your computer automatically syncs with Box. This is awesome to use as an automatic backup!

Cons

There's not much to dislike, but if I had to nitpick, it takes too menu menus and clicks to do things like (1) delete a file, (2) share a file, and (3) sync a file/folder. These are pretty much the only three things that I ever want to do, but they are hidden behind like 3-4 clicks and menu options.

CK

Reviewed on 12/04/2021

Highly secure collaboration

Pros

Box has lots of integrations, which makes it easier to work with it within other tools without having to visit it in a browser. Outside of that, the main reason to choose Box is its security features. The web interface is clean and highly intuitive. It still is loaded with features to customize it for your users in anyway you want.

Cons

The big downside I see is the speed. This may be due to the level of security configured, but it's noticeable. There are also some UI design issues that require way too many clicks to get to what you need. However, these are for very infrequently used settings (such as finding out storage usage).

Reasons for Choosing Box

Needed more features, configuration control, security, and integrations.

Google Drive
Ricky
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Reviewed on 27/04/2020

Robust Cloud Base System

We changed to Box awhile back to move our storage from internal servers to a cloud base system so we could easily access our files from anywhere. It's given us a lot more flexibility as we can work on our files from anywhere with internet access. It encourages us to try to do everything digitally and go green. Box overall is a great product for any business or individual who's looking for cloud storage.

Pros

1. I use the Box Sync feature on a daily basis on my MacBook. Box Sync allows uers to sync folders/files from Box Cloud to your finder so it feels like your just working from finder but it's being backed up the cloud! It's a simple and convenient way for me to access and organize our box files using finder. Our company has a lot of folder/files so I just sync the folders I use the most and I have quick access to my files. Box cloud also has a Box Drive feature which is similar but has one downside which I mention in the Cons section.
2. With Box Sync it's easy to know when your files have been sync to the box cloud with the file icons.
3. Sharing files to internal or external users is simple. Sharing files include a lot of features based on the security levels you want.
4. Another great feature is that it integrates our DocuSign software (e-signatures). I can easily get files signed electronically through Box and not have to log into our DocuSign software. A very convenient feature as I have to get a lot of files signed electronically on a daily basis.
5. Lastly, we basically have unlimited storage!

Cons

1. One con about Box Sync is that it doesn't seamlessly sync files in finder as Box Drive does. There is a slight delay, sometimes a minute or two to sync to the cloud. However, I have to rename a lot of files and I can't just select a file and click "enter/return" on my MacBook to rename files with Box Drive. So I've stuck with box sync for now. But it would be nice if Box Drive would let me rename files easily.
2. I noticed is sometimes when you preview a file it sometimes takes time to load. It's sometimes faster just to open the file to view it which doesn't make sense when a preview should be faster.
3. I noticed is that the name length view is fixed when viewing on the box cloud. Therefore if you have a lot of files in a folder with the same name but different ending, you see all the files with the same name because the end of the filename is truncated. So you aren't easily able to see a specific file other than clicking one the files. At least have a feature where you hover your mouse over the file and it displays the full name of the file or something. It shouldn't require extra clicking just to find your files.
4. It does have a max file size of 5GB

Jermill
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 02/01/2023

Box: A Reliable and Convenient Tool for Personal and Business Use.

Box is a cloud storage and file sharing service that allows users to store, access, and collaborate on files from any device. It is designed for both personal and business use, and offers a range of features such as version history, document preview, and integration with other productivity apps.One of the major benefits of using Box is its convenience. With the ability to access and edit files from any device with an internet connection, it is easy to stay organized and productive on the go. The interface is user-friendly and intuitive, making it easy to navigate and find the files you need.The collaboration features of Box are also very useful. Users can easily share files and folders with others, and can even leave comments and feedback on specific parts of a document. This makes it a great tool for teams that need to work together on projects in real-time.Overall, I have had a positive experience with Box. The service is reliable, and the features it offers make it a useful tool for both personal and business use

Pros

Cons

One potential con of using Box is that the free version of the service only offers a limited amount of storage space (10 GB). If you need more storage, you will need to upgrade to a paid plan. Additionally, while Box offers a range of features, some users may find that it lacks some advanced functionality that is available in other cloud storage and file sharing services.

• Industry: Civil Engineering

Reviewed on 06/01/2023

Box is a cloud storage and file sharing service that allows users to store and access files...

The Box application allowed me to store many files and documents for free. It helped me a lot to share my work and files with my friends. One of what I like most about it is its ease of use, as it does not require a lot of experience to use it.

Pros

The Box application contains many features, and I have benefited from them a lot in my studies and in my work, including: Box allows users to collaborate with others by sharing files and folders and letting others edit or view them. It also has features like real-time commenting and version history to make it easier to work with others.Box allows users to store, access and share files from anywhere. It also provides tools for organizing and managing files, such as folders and tags.Box takes the security of its users' data very seriously and provides multiple layers of protection, including encryption, password protection, and access controls.The Box app is available on iOS and Android devices, allowing users to access and work with their files on the go.Box allows users to preview a variety of file types within the app, without the need to download them.Box integrates with a wide range of other apps and services, making it easy to access and work with files from other tools.I advise everyone to use it because it is very effective and easy to use in all respects.

Cons

There are not many negatives in the application, but there are some features that may be lacking in terms of what is granted in paid services. Users may have trouble commenting on files in the application, depending on the type of file being commented as well as the operating system the user is using. In free services, there is a monthly upload limit of 10 GB, and this may be limited for users who like to upload files.

• Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 28/08/2022

Good for off site back up, I tend to use Sync for the day-to-day though

Overall, they are OK for stuff that I've encrypted myself and just want to have a redundant backup. I really should figure out how to use amazon glacier for that, but box makes it too easy and cheap. There's only so many hours in the day.

Pros

I like that this software just works without a bunch of hassle. I also like that box is not, to my knowledge, google or microsoft. No need to have either of them snooping through my files. At the time I switched from dropbox, I was very happy that box wasn't dropbox. I think Box used to have faster pipes than Sync but am not so sure anymore.

Cons

I think that Sync.com has a better product for my day-to-day. All I really want is secure storage and for all my computers to sync up certain directories. I don't want to ever doubt that every file is synced onto every computer. I left dropbox because their smartsync made me wonder if I was getting what I wanted. I think Sync is the company that is most focused on giving me exactly what I want. Box is OK, but they aren't focused on the precise thing I'm after. That makes me worry that they are going to go the dropbox route and try to some "smart" thing that makes them useless to me. Also, there was the box hacker exploit discovered in 2019. I think that's when I moved important stuff to Sync.

Eugene
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 23/08/2016

Box - a secure, collaborative platform for all connected users

I've been been a Box customer for about four years. During that time we've gone from a limited POC to a large scale international rollout. We've found Box to be very responsive both from a support standpoint and in terms of listening to their customers regarding features and needs.
The primary reason we initially chose Box was because of the outstanding security framework which was at the core of the initial offering and continues to be a key focus for Box. The management and governance features allowed us to roll it out to a geographically diverse group of employees with the assurance that their data would be secure and would remain secure.
Our initial need was to centrally replicate data from an international location. Based on the success of that POC, we've been able to replicate that success in a number of international locations and delay or eliminate the need for physical systems and storage that had previously been a part of our technology deployment.

Pros

Security is still my favorite feature - I have the confidence that our data is secure and will remain secure. Box meets a number of US based and international security regulations and data compliance requirements, Box makes governance and compliance easy.
Notifications based on file changes or folder changes have allowed us to create "instant workflows" to quickly move data from a variety of locations in the hands of a number of users. This has allowed us to create a system where data is not only securely stored, but able to be quickly acted upon by a geographically diverse group of staff.
Rolling Box seats out to new users is easy, and Box makes a wide variety of training materials available to its users to help them leverage the features.

Cons

There's not much to dislike - the feature set is good and continues to grow. If there is a downside, it is that - like all cloud based solutions - connectivity is required, and that can sometimes be a challenge for my organization is some of the remote international locations where we work.

Nazir

Reviewed on 15/01/2023

"Box: A Comprehensive and Secure Cloud-Based Content Management and File Sharing Solution

very good

Pros

One of the things I like most about Box is its security features. Box offers an extensive set of security features, including user access controls, data encryption, and audit trails, to ensure that the data stored on the platform is protected. This is particularly important for businesses and organizations that need to store sensitive information and ensure that it is only accessible to authorized individuals.Another aspect that I like about Box is its integration capabilities, Box allows integration with other software tools such as Office 365, Google Workspace, Salesforce and many others. This makes it easy for users to access and edit files, even when working in other applications.The platform is also user-friendly and easy to navigate, with a clean and intuitive user interface, it makes it easy for users to store, share, and collaborate on files. Additionally, it offers a wide range of features and functionalities such as file versioning, commenting, and task management, which makes it a comprehensive solution for managing and sharing files.

Cons

One of the things I like least about Box is its cost. While the platform offers a wide range of features and functionalities, it may be more expensive than some other similar solutions on the market. Additionally, the pricing structure can be complex and difficult to understand, which can make it challenging for businesses to determine the best plan for their needs.Another thing to consider is that the platform can be a bit overwhelming for new users. With a wide range of features and functionalities, it can take some time to learn how to use all of them effectively. This can be a challenge for businesses and organizations with limited IT resources.It's also worth mentioning that as a cloud-based service, Box relies on a stable internet connection to function, if the internet connection is weak or unreliable, it can cause problems such as slow performance, dropped connections or even lost data.Overall, while Box is a powerful and secure cloud-based content management and file sharing solution, it may not be the best fit for all businesses, especially those on a tight budget or with limited IT resources. It's important for users to carefully consider their specific needs and preferences before deciding to use the service.

Reviewed on 02/12/2022

Reliable Cloud Storage

Pros

I've been using 50GB of BOX storage to hold a collection of PDF work papers and ebooks served to Calibre reader. Every change on Calibre updates the cloud storage and syncs. Also, every new document saved in BOX end up in Calibre automatically. So far it has been a reliable place to save and store my files, with easy to use management functions. The desktop app is also very simple as any cloud storage app must be.

Cons

Free space provided is very small for today's needs, but other than that there are really no other problems.

Nextcloud, ownCloud, Google Drive, MEGA and pCloud Business
Nikitah
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 06/08/2018

Box

All in all, Box has proven substantially beneficial for the university and for faculty to access materials of a general nature in a more efficient way and though I have not seen the actual numbers myself, I suspect that offloading all of the staff time and energy that went into maintaining and training people to monitored those previous on-campus servers was a price efficient move as well. Equally important in a time of fiscal belt-tightening.

Pros

My university decided to replace its archaic system of various collective departmental, college, and institution drives and servers with Box. It is a thousand times easier to access from a variety of locations, at almost any time, using almost any communicative medium you wish to employ. In the 21st century the modern mobile educational facility and educator lives and dies on the capacity to not just amass data and research and information but also to retrieve and manipulate it at remote locales in a secure, rapid way.

Cons

The biggest challenge is that Box has, like many modern softwares, engineered a number of plug ins. I have found that the reliability and functionality of these varies. for example, the general BoxSync application works perfectly but then there is a Box application for Windows 8 and another for Windows 10 which are "store apps" which are not as good at syncing and it is possible you might have both kinds of applications on your machine and that is rather confusing for the user since they have different interfaces and the syncing between them is not as transparent as one might expect. There is a page of these plugins and their descriptions overlap substantially and so it's not always clear which application you should employ in conjunction with your general Box.

Bryan
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 04/05/2018

I use Box for department and personal document storage through manual uploads, emails, and...

With this product, I can securely save and store my documents. They can be accessed from anywhere. I can share them with colleagues and setup folders with access for multiple users.
Through our reporting software, I can easily email documents to Box folders to be uploaded.

Pros

I like the versatility for uploading and downloading files. Files can be uploaded by dragging them into the folder in a web browser. You can also allow them to be uploaded through email. When this is activated, a unique email address is created. Any attachments in emails sent to that address are uploaded to that folder. We use our reporting software to send reports to these folders. Within this folder, uniquely named documents can replace existing ones or be added in addition to the original.
Files can also be uploaded through synced folders. I use this to store all of my work documents. Any file in this folder is synced with the online folder.
The Box files can easily be accessed from any web browser or through the mobile app. Ours is placed behind our firewall. With the mobile app, you can also create offline versions of documents for easy access without internet access.
Downloading can be completed easily though the app or online. Individual files can be downloaded one at a time or en mass as a zip file.

Cons

I am pretty happy with this product. The only thing that I would prefer is the ability to download multiple files at once as separate files instead of being downloaded as a zip file.