About Vend

Vend is a cloud-based point of sale system for retailers of all types and sizes. Vend offers tools to help manage the customer experience, as well as sales, inventory, customer data and more. Vend is designed to work on various...

Browse Vend Reviews

Eric A.

Reviewed on 20/01/2020

Solid for Small Businesses

Overal it was good, I think for a small business that's trying to save on expenses and monthly costs - it's a viable option. Once you start making some real cash, and you want to go online as well - I think there are better platforms to fit your need

Pros

We used this for a small retail clothing store. It was managed remotely and easily updated within the shop. It was easy to see analytics for sales

Cons

Our CC processor wasn't accepted at the time, so we had to input our credit card sales manually. This was a hassle but was eventually fixed.

• Industry: Music

Reviewed on 10/02/2021

Full of Functionality

We use Vend in a guitar retail and repair shop to keep our inventory and repair prices organized.

Pros

Vend has a very versatile and flexible workflow, with lots of features and options to work for most any retail scenario your business may face.

Cons

With all the features and options, many of them are tucked away in submenus, and therefore provides a steep learning curve if you lack someone to tutor you.

James D.

Reviewed on 29/07/2018

So easy to use, even my Grandma could use it.

love using Vend. Its simplicity allows for quick training of new employees of all technological experience. However, the best feature is the ability to use it during an internet outage. We had this happen a few times where the internet went out, yet we were still able to conduct transactions. With our old POS system, an internet outage meant we had to close until the internet was restored. With Vend, there was no wait. We were still able to process sales and didn’t lose money. However, the lack of Priority Phone Support, while we haven’t yet needed it, is a little disconcerting. Adding this to all of the plans would create a near-perfect system.

Pros

absolutely love the ease of use of Vend. While I myself am rather technologically literate, some of my employees are not. However, because of how easy Vend is to use, they picked up on how to use it within an hour. I do also love the cloud services and their ability to keep running even through an internet outage. I did like that I had the ability to try out the product before purchasing. I realized within minutes that I preferred it so much more than my previous POS system. My favorite aspects are the value and price. You seem to get so much product at such a cheaper price than its competitors. I also liked that we could use our existing cash drawer and receipt printer with Vend. The loyalty dollars option is not something we currently use, but it is nice to know that we could always opt-in.

Cons

Even though I use Google Chrome as my daily web browser, I am not fond of the fact that this is the only browser that works with Vend. If an update breaks Chrome, then I am left without a POS system. I’m hoping that they fix this and allow other browsers to work with the system. I also do not like the fact that I have to pay an additional cost for Premium Phone Support. If I am paying for your product, I should have support that is available at the highest level and available when I need it. Sometimes, something is so important that it can’t wait for an email support response. This is something that definitely needs fixing.

Response from Lucia

Hey James, we love to hear that retailers love Vend! Thanks for your review of Vend POS − great to hear that training has gone well and that you’ve made good use of our offline mode, it’s really an essential feature for a modern POS. Vend is fully supported on Google Chrome and Safari, we cannot guarantee that Vend will work as it should on other browsers, some features may work and some may not. Sorry if that’s not ideal for your business setup and appreciate your feedback on this. We highly recommend using Google Chrome for the best performance. Best, Lucia (Vend’s Community Manager).

Replied 27/08/2018

Top Vend Alternatives

Darrel W.

Reviewed on 10/10/2018

Awesome POS system

Far fewer mistakes than previous POS system. Incredibly easy to learn, even for people frightened of computers. We also have a sister business that is totally different......but we're able to integrate our loyalty program using VEND, and it's easy for each business to personalize the system.

Pros

I spent several months reviewing POS to replace our existing system---being cloud based and integrating with Shopify were absolute musts. I had narrowed it down to two, Vend being one. Since we are a non-profit they gave us a discount, which clinched the deal, but Vend also had acouple features we liked that the other one didn't. Once it was approved, I spent a month or so converting all of our products (about 3000), customers (over 3000) and vendors (a few hundred) into the new system, using CSV files, as well as changing the way departments and categories worked----much more closely to how we operate than our old system allowed. Five days after we went live, I went on a ten day vacation to Europe. All my employees said it was really easy to learn and navigate (and the few questions they had were quickly answered by their 24/7 help). They're are always making improvements and updates.

Cons

Their e-commerce platform comes as part of our package, but at the time we signed up (two years ago), it was still pretty plain, so we're still paying for a separate Shopify account (it integrates quite well with Shopify, so I haven't been in a hurry to switch over anyway). At some point I'll probably take a closer look and see if switching over makes sense.

Reviewed on 12/06/2018

Great cloud based software. Very friendly for businesses looking to grow.

Better overall control of my entire retail business and its 5 locations. Vend should consider adding time clock functions for users to clock in and out, and to create new sales information from those users like sales per hour, etc.

Pros

Inventory tracking features. Being able to see all outlets inventory at the same time. Inventory transfers are very intuitive and easy to perform, same with stock orders.

Cons

Pricing and sale discount features aren't easy to apply for a membership type of system. Updating Price Books is a hassle as its current layout for each price book is not easy to navigate if one product's price needs to be changed inside of a price book with hundreds of products.

Response from Vend

Hey there, thanks for your review of Vend POS. We agree Vend's the best point of sale for businesses looking to grow! If you're wanting to add extra staff management functionality, check out the Vend + Deputy integration. Deputy is a cloud based all-in-one employee scheduling, time & attendance, tasking and communication platform that you can connect to Vend for greater insight on sales trends and labor metrics. You can also use Deputy to schedule staff based on Vend sales data, report on staff wage vs sales percentage to optimize team performance, and the Deputy iPad kiosk for clock in/out is the perfect companion for Vend iPad app. You can find out more about that here www.vendhq.com/product-add-ons. For running discounts we suggest using Vend's new Promotion features, which will save you time, let you easily customize your offers, and help you move inventory. You can find out more here:www.vendhq.com/whats-new-in-vend/vend-promotions. Best, Lucia (Vend's Community Manager

Angela B.

Reviewed on 12/06/2018

Organized and digitized my point of sale system to make it much easier to study my business.

My previous system was a paper tracking system with a standard cash register. It's been much easier to analyze the business and see trends in sales/inventory now that it's digitized. It's very organized, and has been helpful for my employees to identify and charge customers correctly.

Pros

The inventory management setup has been great--I can edit individual items on the go, or download and edit larger portions of my inventory through a spreadsheet if needed. Having photos of my items has been helpful to me and my staff. Also, being able to track customers' info, credit, and loyalty has been beneficial to tailoring their shopping experience.

Cons

It's not very easy to reach someone via phone, but there are help tutorials made up and available online, and I can also submit a help ticket when needed.

Response from Vend

Hey Angela, thanks for taking the time to review Vend POS. Delighted to hear that moving from pen and paper to the cloud with Vend point of sale software has helped your business in so many ways! That's exactly what we love to hear from our retailers. Thank you for feedback on support, we've recently made some big changes there and are continuing to improve this 24/7 service to make it even better. If you have any more feedback or questions, please submit a ticket (https://support.vendhq.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=1375) with our friendly support team for assistance. Best, Lucia (Vend's Community Manager)

Dustin P.

Reviewed on 17/10/2018

Perfect POS for Inventory Intensive Retail Stores

Vend has been a great POS system for our retail store. It's register IPAD app is quick to learn and easy to train our employees on. The Inventory and Reporting system makes the management of our business so much simpler. It integrates well with multiple 3rd party programs, and receives regular updates from the company. Support has always been quick to help me out as well with the limited issues we've had. I would like to continue to see some improvements to the loyalty and rewards aspect, however these are not deal breakers.

Pros

The Inventory Management system is leaps and bounds above other POS systems we've look at. This is by far the main driver behind why we selected Vend as our POS system for our Cigar Store. Our small retail store can easily hold 10,000+ SKUs and we needed a system that could easily manage that. The reporting system is also very robust allowing us to quickly produce reports, or export data to allow us to measure sales trends, and make informed buying decisions.

Cons

There are some limits to the loyalty system and discount aspects, however they have improved consistently with regular updates. We have a VIP Club system and I'd like to have a higher loyalty tier system for them, however there isn't a universal way to do that.

Azeem M.

Fair

Pros

Reporting features
Product variants
Dashboard
Self Generating SKU
Layby methods
Customer accounts
I love the gift card concept !

Cons

Error Sales

Rigidity in creating new users

Wish the register had a options to limit use more for newer employees not to view all the sales history and to be able to open and close. I think that's more of the store manager's responsibility than everyone being able to do so.

Response from Vend

Hey Azeem, thanks for your review of Vend POS. We love the Gift Cards feature too - it's very popular with our retailers! On Vend there are three different user roles, Cashier, Manager and Admin. Many retailers have employees at the Cashier level that need to open and close the register which is why this functionality is available at this level. If you want to customize user roles, you can do so with Advanced User Permissions available on some of our plans. This allows you to choose what roles can see and do within the user roles. Hope that helps! Best, Lucia (Vend's Community Manager)

Alan L.

Reviewed on 09/06/2018

It solves all of the problems I have as a retailer

I achieved fast checkout because all the product are loaded in inventory,
but perhaps the most important is that I have increased the accuracy of reporting drastically

Pros

What I like about vend its is well designed user interface. But perhaps the most important is the ease of use, you can get the gist of it in about 20 minutes, and for more complex tasks it still would not take long to learn

Cons

I guess it's that for more detailed accounting id have to connect it to another software. so for example i have other expenses like utilities dont figure in the vend reporting, so the GP figures for instance are not fully accurate.

Response from Vend

Hey Alan, thanks for your review of Vend POS. Our teams work hard to make sure that Vend is easy to use and quick to learn, so we're happy to hear that you feel that way! Vend has a number of integrations including with Xero's powerful accounting software that you may want to look into. If you'd like to give us more details on a specific feature you'd like to see in Vend, please use this link https://support.vendhq.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=1375 to submit a feature request. All the best, Lucia (Vend's Community Manager)

Norma D.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 13/06/2018

Its easy to use in a variety of laptops and Ipad.

I can record what are my weekly sales, to give my employees comision of their sales, to check inventoroy.

Pros

That I can open it from a different location and different device. Its user friendly. I can send email invoice to clients. I can accept partial payments.

Cons

Sometimes makes changes that im not aware of. Sometimes dont get custumer service. Sometimes I dont find in the frequently asked questions how to do some options.

Response from Vend

Hey Norma, thanks for your review for Vend POS! Happy to hear that you're pleased with Vend's functionality and ease of use - that's what we love to hear! Vend's customer support team are available 24/7 so if you ever need assistance please don't hesitate to reach out. If you would like to give us some more specific feedback you can submit a ticket with our friendly support team here: https://support.vendhq.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=1375. Best, Lucia (Vend's Community Manager).

Martina S.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 09/09/2018

Picture Perfect POS

Vend POS has made my life so much easier. I like being able to search, order, plan from home and not have to go into the store to do work. I also enjoy that I can search almost anything.

Pros

This POS system is easy to use and easy to teach new employees. I love being able to access it from anywhere and being able to get information I need for planning and ordering.

Cons

None as of yet. We have been happy. We have had no real issues and anything that has come up has been easily solved.

Response from Vend

Hey Martina, thanks for your review of Vend POS. This is the kind of feedback we absolutely love to hear. We're so pleased to hear you're finding Vend easy to use, train your employees on, and that Vend POS is making your life easier. If you do have any questions or problems please don't hesitate to reach out to our friendly team - we're here to help you run the world's best retail! Best wishes, Vend's Community Manager.

Replied 16/09/2018
Krishna H.

Reviewed on 06/06/2018

Easy to use and well documented POS.

Organizing hotel vending area and tracking inventory.

Pros

Flexibility and ease of use. Customer support is always helpful. Can input wide range of SKUs and QR codes to customize products that don't have them printed on.

Cons

Slightly pricey, needs to be logged out and back in sometimes. Some of the buttons to press could be bigger such as removing an item from order screen.

Response from Vend

Hey Krishna, thanks for taking the time to review Vend POS. Great to hear that you're finding Vend easy to use and our support team helpful! That's exactly what we like to hear from our retailers. If you'd like to go into more detail about what buttons you think should be better, you can submit a feature request using the following link https://support.vendhq.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=1375. Thanks again! Best, Lucia (Vend's Community Manager)

Replied 18/06/2018
Camille L.

Reviewed on 11/06/2018

Generally good. Not the perfect system for our services.

Time. I spend less time training and gathering data.

Pros

It was easy to set up the system. It works with our website thru Shopify app. The system is user friendly for the staff, so learning curve is brief.

Cons

Not good for tipped services, did not have untaxable sales calculation for first year i used it, does not sync well with QBO, delay in customer service response time.

Response from Vend

Hey Camille, thanks for your review of Vend POS. Great to hear that you and your staff have found Vend so easy to use! Vend doesn't have a tipping feature as Vend is designed for inventory based retailers and tipping isn't commonly used in retail. Apologies for any inconvenience this has caused your business. If you would like to provide more feedback, have any questions or need assistance with anything please submit a ticket with our friendly support team here https://support.vendhq.com/hc/en-us/requests/new?ticket_form_id=1375. Best, Lucia (Vend's Community Manager)

Karen N.

Reviewed on 18/05/2018

This is POS for dummies! So easy to use and straight forward in functionality.

It is my POS system in our store. I love that it is internet based so that I can access it from home as well.

Pros

There really was no learning curve. Super easy to put in new products and very easy for my salesmen to use.

Cons

Few things that I would like to see: better functions to help organize clients and give my salesmen tasks to contact people. Also, I would like for there to be a way to force entry of the clients name on each sale. (probably just need people who do what they are supposed to do....). Customer service is not accesible by phone and this is sometimes difficult.

Gary L.

Reviewed on 10/01/2019

After a year of use...

After one year of using Vend my impression of the product has dropped drastically. The reporting functions are pretty much a joke and the accounting features are a disaster. The only thing worse than these two things is the customer service department which for a year has responded to virtually every inquiry with "The program can't do that", or "It is a feature we are looking to add."

There is no report to tell you what, if any, inventory has had it's inventory on hand adjusted (which every professional program does have to combat theft). You actually have to look at each item individually, which when you have over 30k products is not something you can do.

I purchased it for two key features, the ability to issue store credit and the ability to integrated with Quickbooks on-line. Only after I started using it did I find that it can do one or the other, for some bizarre reason, not both at the same time.

The ordering screen does allow customization and only lists a products description when creating a purchase order. When you have multiple paints from different distributors with the name "Blue" it is impossible to tell which it is. You have to add the brand to the name, which might not be an issue if you start your business using it, but when transferring from another program plan on spent countless hours renaming your products.

Then there is trying to enter your daily transactions in your account software when Vend's report don't balance sales and revenue. AVOID!

Pros

Front end is clean and simple for employees to use. Fine for a very small or beginning business.

Cons

Reporting functions are terrible. System was not designed by anyone with any understanding of accounting or running a B&M retail business. Only capable of working for a very small retail business.

Rebecca W.
  • Industry: Wine & Spirits

Reviewed on 11/06/2018

Our experience over the past few years using Vend has been wonderful!

Pros

Its ease of use and how robust the system truly is. It makes staff training and use very smooth. As an administrator on our Vend store, the layout and format are very user friendly.

Cons

We had some issues with the App being updated and changing some of our taxing formatting which was an issue. Vend representatives worked hard to rectify this issue.

Response from Vend

Hey Rebecca, thank you for your wonderful review of Vend POS! We're delighted to hear that you have had such a great experience with Vend and our team, especially on sorting that tax issue out for you. We'll keep working hard to delight you with this level of service and ease of use. All the best, Lucia (Vend's Community Manager)

Mark A.

Reviewed on 23/06/2020

Keep looking - this is debilitating to our business

Terrible, really wish we could turn back the clock and pick a different system. A full year of frustrations.

We can put up with a lot of issues, and recognize no one platform is perfect. But going 3 weeks without a response from Vend support in a busy retail environment has destroyed any chance of ever recommending this group.

Pros

Simplicity (or so it seemed), multi-outlet.

Cons

It's simple because it doesn't work. We literally have buggy issues every week, and it's been a year of using it. And we're not attempting difficult or creative issues. Very basic retail tils, on hardware recommended by Vend, setup according to their specs. It just constantly has problems. Dropped sales, problems with software, reporting issues... you would think these are our issues (Vend blames everyone but themselves... that's a BIG IF you actually connect with someone from Vend - we've waited 3-4 weeks for a response from a person). Their system is great at auto-response - happy, you're the most important, etc... but never get a call (even when scheduled and agreed).

What do we like least? Constant bugs and ZERO support. Also tired of Vend blaming everything else except themselves (we had no troubles with previous POS before we switched to them, great IT on our end, huge internet package, etc.).

Matthew R.
  • Industry: Music

Reviewed on 05/06/2018

Overall a quality pos software

Searchability of inventory

Pros

The tagging function makes it very easy to sift through various types of inventory and distinguish certain store items from others.

Cons

The fact that the variant pages can't be searched for and that there are limitations with respect to variants in place when entering new products.

Nate M.
  • Industry: Furniture

Reviewed on 05/05/2018

Excellent POS software

Pros

Vend allows users to set up a load of information behind the scenes, while keeping the interface straight forward for users.

Cons

Some syncing delays are the biggest cause of concern for my company as we strive to have quick, efficient service.

Tabitha P.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 23/10/2018

Vend POS

Customer service is always pleasant and helpful.

Pros

It is very easy to use and train someone to use.

Cons

That they change things without asking if it would benefit my company. Sometimes it does and sometimes it would of better off left alone.

Tracy K.

Reviewed on 06/06/2017

Very satisfied

Pros

Very user friendly and many great functions. I love how easy it is to find daily, weekly, monthly reports.

Cons

sometimes there is a bit of a lag in updating daily sales totals, but that may have been an internet issue.

Ailyn mae E.

Reviewed on 14/12/2018

Vend review.

Pros

Vend is a POS system that helps the small to medium business runs online and in store. What i really like about this app is that you can easily access it through mobile phones.

Cons

This product is very useful and helpful. It works really well and the customer services is really good so i don't have any negative comments about this product

Neil A.
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Reviewed on 12/11/2019

I used Vend for a while but switched.

It was ok, but overall, Vend wasn't enough for me.

Pros

Easy to use and track your items you make in the system. Customer tracking was also easy to do. I also really liked the user interface.

Cons

The reporting and the price. The reporting was lacking, and the details you could keep on your products was also pretty lacking. And for the price, I switched to a competitor got more features and reporting and saved money.

Nicole R.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 08/02/2018

HORRIBLE!!!

I NEED VEND TO HELP FIX THE PROBLEM!!!!

Cons

I have had this system for two years and use the website feature they offer. Three month ago they did a update that caused my website to not sinc with my inventory. I pay for the highest level of support you can get with this company and I can not get a phone call through to them, I can not get a response back from a Manager, my special tech people working on this after three months still do not know what the problem is. I have had to turn my website off three weeks ago and have asked for them to do a manual sync and it still has NOT been done. I am loosing money everyday from not having a website available. It is helpless....

Response from Lucia

Hi Nicole,

Firstly, we want to apologize for the frustration and any inconvenience caused by this issue affecting your online store. We totally understand that this is not a situation you want to be in. Our team have made several improvements however unfortunately there is not one quick fix for the specific issue affecting your online store. A compensation has been processed for you and our team will be in touch when we have an update.

We appreciate your patience and understanding in the situation and hope to have things running perfectly soon.

Best wishes,

Lucia
Vend's Community Manager

Replied 23/04/2018
Álvaro Z.

Reviewed on 21/03/2017

Awesome

We are super happy with Vend. It really improve our workflow, our customers on-desk experience and our budget decisions incredibly.

Pros

Easy to use for everyone. Connects perfectly our POS and online store. Support service is awesome.

Cons

There are still some little functions they can improve.