About Slack

Slack is a cloud-based project collaboration and team interaction tool designed to facilitate communication across organizations. The solution caters to various industries, including media, research, technology, education,...

Browse Slack Reviews

22,827 of 22,827 reviews
Sourabh

Reviewed on 07/08/2021

Slack makes business communication easy, efficient and engaging

I have enjoyed every bit of using slack, it gives me a feeling of using a robust yet state of the art communication platform. Hats off to the folks at slack, keep the good work going !!

Pros

It has carved a new segment in business communication and remote collaboration. Right now it is the gold standard as far as combining email and chat go. The User Interface is peppy and fun. The User Experience is very intuitive and efficient. We can edit messages that were sent without much noise. Love the slackbot as well it is very effective if used correctly. There are some really cool geeky features like Marvin etc which add the much needed spice to the remote work environment.

Cons

I haven't seen/used a native audio or video calling feature on slack, there are some advantages of having 3rd party video conferencing integration support but an inbuilt audio and video calling would have made this an absolute front runner in its segment. There should be a feature to notify when someone has logged in back to slack.

Steve
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 31/12/2019

Slack is the best chat app, but don't use it as a wiki or PM tool

Slack effectively solves our need for real-time communication. We use the chat, voice and video calling options. It's a great tool and better than most other chat alternatives, but don't be tempted to use it to manage projects, store documentation, or give structure to files. You'll soon be overwhelmed by the lack of structure.

Pros

I love Slack's ease of use and simplicity. New users can get up to speed quickly and begin using fun features like @mentionds, /gifs and :emojis: The file attachments and search speed are well done.
Slack's real power is in all the integrations, so I love being able to hook up a dozen or so apps and collect all my notifications in one place. Also, the freelancer community has embraced Slack because of their free/cheap plans, so it's very convenient to keep in touch with a variety of contractors by just inviting them (since most already have their own Slack plans).

Cons

Slack isn't great at providing structure to your work-life. The #channel structure does aid in some structure, but Slack's support for threads is awful--they don't make any sense, and most people can't figure out how to use them. These deficits are offset somewhat by searchability, but for the most part you'll just be scrolling through endless conversations if you want to find a particular piece of info.

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Overall Slack is a much better product than Microsoft teams for just chat, but Teams has an advantage if you want to use a wiki and extensive file storage. Teams does a slighly better job with threading, but it's still not great. The channel structure of teams is worse, and then anyone who has used Sharepoint knows to stay away from the confusing intersection of Teams with Sharepoint.
Jordan
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Reviewed on 14/12/2022

I cannot do with Slack software.

Slack aids collaboration and communication between every member of my team. The quality of collaboration which Slack let me achieve , helps me save time and makes the process of sharing and getting feedback across my team very fast.

Pros

Slack integrates with top software applications . This integration allows me to use several applications from within the Slack interface. My ability to achieve the above allows me work faster by enabling a single layer of engagement and communication.

Cons

Unstable video and audio call , coupled with long delays before calls get connected are what i like the least about this software.

Top Slack Alternatives

Reviewed on 15/05/2019

Slack : A very quick review

Slack improves correspondence among colleagues.

In spite of the fact that it doesnot supplant the need of email yet yes it clearly reduces unnecessary inside messages

Slack stays a standout amongst the best group informing applications since it offers more than some other application in this classification.

For a variety of devices and platforms, Slack is available: mobile Mac, Windows, Linux, Web, Android, iOS, and Windows.
It is a cloud-based tool in real time, so you need an Internet connection to use it regardless of which app you have.

Pros

What I truly like is to discover individuals and ping them and begin a transformation.

Most significant, you can share records, photographs, URL, gifs (Very significant), in a solitary spot.
Making joint effort simple and something to appreciate.

at the point when significant data is imparted to other application it gets lost and there is no record of it.

With the slack channel, the data is put away and can be utilized as references

Slack makes it workable for its clients to have numerous alternatives of getting informed.

The best component, as I would see it, is the place somebody can "@" you in a message or a post.

Cons

Below are some points which I least like in Slack:

Video calls are just bolstered in the work area applications and Slack for web in the Chrome program.

In the event that you join a call from a cell phone, you get sound as it were.

So also, screen sharing just works from the work area applications,

what's more, sharing control of screen sharing just works in the Mac and Window work area applications (not Linux).

From the web application in Chrome, you can watch on the off chance that another person utilizes screen sharing, yet you can't start it.

There is also no option for downloading conversations to create a hard copy record (for minutes of meeting, etc.).

No File Preview: If you could preview a document without downloading it first, it would be nice. But Slack does'nt have this feature.

Caitlyn
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 23/10/2022

Great Team Communication Software For Anyone Just Starting out

My overall experience with Slack has been alright. I loved the communication features and the fact that it was perfect for my team and I when we were just starting out. It really gave me the power to start my team even though I didn't really have the budget for a centralized communication software for my business at the time. The ability to coordinate and communicate with me team in real-time, as well as guest freelancers and others was great. It served us very well for the time that we used it. I would highly recommend this software to anyone who is looking to get started using a multi-person communication software for their team. If you are looking for something that is geared more towards focusing on tasks and project management as well as communication, I would recommend looking into something different.

Pros

The great thing about Slack is, first of all, it has multiple pricing plans. Especially, the fact that its first pricing plan is completely free. So it is great for anyone who is just starting a team, whether it be for a start-up for either a non-profit or a business. You have the ability to share files, communicate in real-time, receive real-time notifications, and communicate with multiple people at once. As well as do some small project management functions.

Cons

The only shortcomings I would say Slack has, is the fact that they are obviously a software that is mainly built for the purposes of communication between people in real-time. More like a glorified messenger app. So the file sharing, collaboration, and other project management features leave somethings to be desired.

Basecamp, monday.com and Wrike

Reasons for Choosing Slack

GroupMe was just a text messaging app and we needed something capable of doing more.

Reasons for Switching to Slack

We decided to choose Slack because they had a Free option to start. So, I felt like they were the best and most accessible option for someone in position who was just starting out.
Richi
  • Industry: Banking

Reviewed on 06/01/2023

Simple but Useful

It's a really user friendly and useful product for communication of teams and the call features are making this product a very important tool for every company

Pros

It's easy to use and on every device (android, iOS) is installable. They continuously improve the quality of the product and add new features. Voice/Video calls are getting better and better

Cons

Sometime they have down times, even though it has happened few times but still it was annoying

Folakemi
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Reviewed on 17/12/2022

Folakemi FemiIge’s Slack review

I have been able to work well with my team , receive information in real time whenever I am unable to get to work using Slack.

Pros

The effectiveness of its remote support.

Cons

I did not like how it is cost selective. It seems classists and Elitist

Asiya

Reviewed on 28/01/2023

Capterra

That is good experience and it's amazing moment with full control and management tasks

Pros

Collaboration and offers great communication for team

Cons

Live chat conference and for organizing the tasks

Yasin Berke
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Reviewed on 12/12/2022

Yby_Slack

Pros

It has a nice user-friendly interface. It provides personalized design and ease of use. I can easily handle everything from team announcement to private communication.

Cons

The read status of new messages in the PC application is poor. Sometimes it seems that there is no unread message even though it is not.

Mosaad

Reviewed on 28/01/2023

Contact easier and faster with slack

I like the experience because communicating with my customers was really beneficial.

Pros

I really like the features as I can chat and assign tasks at the same time.

Cons

The cost is too expensive and the media files get slow when uploading.

Leon
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 16/04/2020

Slack solves most issues, but not all

Slack felt very familiar for me since I already used Discord for social and gaming needs. I liked the ability to customise my interface with literally any colour I chose and the apps and addons I could add (namely, ClickUp) were extremely helpful.

However, the pricing model proved a bit too aggressive for my company. I have a small design company in Brasil (which means North American dollars are about five times as expensive for me from the get go), and our biggest selling point is the fact that we keep very close contact with our clients, bringing them into most design discussions. In that light, my intention was to seamlessly transition all my clients from their WhatsApp groups to their own Slack channel. The issue was that *even paying*, the amount of "free guests" I could invite was very limited. I was not able to add all clients, and that ultimately meant I couldn't fully transition to Slack. A small issue I also had was inviting via e-mail instead of (again, like in Discord or even WhatsApp itself) just generating a link my clients would click and be dropped into the channel created a small learning curve.

Unfortunately, we ended up having to migrate to Discord itself in order to get out of WhatsApp.

Pros

It essentially makes e-mailing obsolete and has several neat utilities that help streamline the thought, decision, discussion and feedback processes.

Cons

I had less control than I expected (and needed) in regards to overall look and feel, as well as the users' level of interaction in an attempt to soften the learning curve and address some of the app-switching angst. On top of that, the imposing pricing limitations effectively made it impossible for my company to fully transition to Slack.

Zoom Meetings, ClickUp and Google Meet

Reasons for Choosing Slack

WhatsApp groups were excessively hard to manage without having a dedicated phone number for work. Personal messages would get mixed up with work messages and it made everyone's life harder. Also, clients were very keen on sending voice messages, which not only aren't appreciated by everyone, but also don't work as express proof in case we needed to document our choices.

WhatsApp

Reasons for Switching to Slack

The turning point at the time was the ability to interact with screenshared video calls through a virtual pen. It was great for lessons and quick suggestions. My familiarity with Discord made my own transition easier and audio/video quality was a plus. Overall, I liked Slack very much, but wasn't able to move over entirely.
Gregory
  • Industry: Government Relations

Reviewed on 18/01/2020

Daily Slack User

We are a political research firm that utilizes hundreds of contractors who give surveys. The surveys change on-the-fly once requirements are met, and as a result contractors must be notified in real-time as they work from home

Pros

Ease of real-time mass communication while at the same time enabling group convo, closed/hidden group convo, and 1 on 1 communication.

Cons

The constant bombardement of msgs that are not applicable to me from various groups im in. There should be a display to notify others of how I'm recieving msgs in a given timeframe

Reasons for Choosing Slack

We found Slack user friendly. When you have tech challenged folks working an online job, it's essential to have software that accomodates them. Oh, and its free up to a point.

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Teams does t allow users to write msgs to thmeselves, not as user friendly, harder to communicate 1 on 1. ( cant see msgs read, etc)
Marie
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 29/11/2020

Slack keeps us together

Over the past 2 years of using Slack I have come to really like it. I like that it is customizable. I can choose to only alert me during my chosen work hours and I can extend or shorten those times as needed. I can express who I am and let my coworkers know a little about me (or not) by having a picture for my profile.

Pros

Working from home can make training a new employee difficult, but with Slack we have been able to be successful. Slack provides us the ability to share screens and use the the draw feature to point out important items. We are also able to get the team all on the same call for collaboration and even to socialize. Slack lessens the feeling of isolation from everyone having to be in a different location instead of all being in the office together.

Cons

The only feature that I would like changed is that when looking at an attachment and I choose to enlarge it, I have to maximize Slack's window in order to see it full size. I would like the attachment to enlarge outside of Slack's window size.

Reviewed on 19/05/2020

Slack is the backbone of what we do

Slack is used by everyone in the business on a daily basis, it allows us to work efficiently and makes working remotely a breeze.

Pros

There are other products out there that provide a similar service, but for me nothing compares to slack's flexibility to integrate with the other online services we use and automate workflows and reporting.

Cons

The video call feature could do with some slight improvements, a grid view would be great for group calls for instance.

Workplace from Meta, Microsoft Teams and Google Meet

Reasons for Choosing Slack

The ability to integrate with other services such as InVision, Flowmapp and Teamwork.

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Integrations were high on our priority, but also ease of use and the ability to easily add external companies into shared channels.
Dulce
  • Industry: Legal Services

Reviewed on 10/01/2021

Best app for messaging!

Slack is very fun to use and easy to get used to. I think every company should use it.
It’s also very private so only people within the company have access to message you. External users cannot find you or message you. Great software overall!

Pros

This app is very easy to get used to and it’s very customizable. You can choose a color theme or create your own and manage which channels you want muted or you got want to receive notifications.
I also love that they have an mobile app, a desktop app or you can use the web browser to login. It’s a great way to communicate with colleagues 1:1 or by group chats (channels).
You can also generate polls or gifs in the chat bar, respond to messages in a thread to not overflow the chat with responses and react to messages with emojis. I love it. I’ve used it for years!

Cons

Every so often the software does have issues. It’s happened maybe once or twice a year where it crashes for a couple of hours and messages cannot be sent. I think it has to do with the server or something but it usually resolves pretty quickly.

Reviewed on 26/01/2020

Nice messaging platform

Overall slack is a nice messaging platform and really helps the individuals while working in a project of multiple team members. It helps in sharing of text messages and files and also has calling features and major third party integrations which makes it a complete package.

Pros

I found slack a powerful tool to communicate with the other team members in real time. It has better voice quality on call, large size file sharing, one-to-one and group messaging.

It also allows to star the messages, which is really helpful to bookmark the important information from the chat.

The features such as wrapping the text in code snippet and selecting the file type (for example, html, java, js, etc.) is beneficial for developers.

It provides APIs to create custom applications and also has an app directory from where users can install out-of-the-box integrations for Github, google drive and other third parties.

Cons

There are few features which are missing, for example, whenever a user is removed from the workspace, no notification is being sent back to the user.

Also, the slackbot could be improved, most of the times, it just provides the search results from the slack help directory.

It is not easy to switch workspaces. One has to close the workspace completely and then switch back to the another workspace.

Finn

Reviewed on 06/11/2020

Easy software for managing various team related activities, free version comes with limited...

Very easy to use app and quite a life saver when it comes to various team internal activities. However, the features included in the free version are quite limited and the price for the full version can easily be considered too much especially for startups, smaller companies or very big teams. All in all, I believe that Slack is a good and really useful app but it´s value, what you get for the money you spend could still be improved.

Pros

Possibility to have 1:1 discussions with colleagues. Valuable when dealing with a task together. Group Collaboration - The capability to bring an undertaking together and share with a team. Gathering Chat - The ability to have one zone/space where the group teams up, shares thoughts, and cooperates to convey issues. Bot Integration - The ability to incorporate different apparatuses and bots that can make the day simpler. Capacity to integrate web conferencing devices such as Zoom, Webex, Teams etc. Able to make plans for the day, track time, and so on Oversee a Team - Great approach to deal with a group that is working distantly in remotely geographic areas.

I am especially fond of how easy and respectful the communication with other team members is. Practically all different Saas suppliers are integrated which permits the user to do practically all activities inside the Slack. The Advanced Search History is another extraordinary component for group correspondence Channels are keeping correspondence simpler inside the team or with non-team members.

Cons

Some of the time the ´´Search in History´´ function does not work as it is supposed to. However, this is the case with most visiting instruments that occasionally you have to look up one small step at a time to discover the set of experiences you are searching for. Video and voice meeting actually need to improve. anticipating utilizing Slack just as opposed to having different programming introduced

The by far greatest limitation of the app is that the free version has a constraint of messages that can be saved, which incorporates the documents that are sent.

Slack's paid arrangement is extravagant for new companies and organizations having low income/large groups.

Reviewed on 06/05/2019

Slack Public Channels improves company communication across teams.

It's a great tool, these are the key points for me:
* Improve team collaboration, shared information in a single place and all team has access to the same information.
* Reach people, sometimes you need to collaborate to make things happen, and slack does a great job at that.
* Integrate to CI/CD pipelines, we received notification about or system all time. It's better than having thousands of emails.

Pros

Public channels:
They are easy to create/configure and allow members of the company to share important information in a single place. This is really helpful for software development teams when important information is shared with other application it gets lost and there is no record of it. With the slack channel, the information is stored and can be used as references. (Developers don't have or we don't want to have time to write documentation).

1:1 Message:
What I really like is that is very easy to find people and ping them and start a conversion. Most important, you can share files, photos, URL, gifs (Very important), in a single place. Making collaboration easy and something to enjoy.

Integration:
Slack can be integrated with a lot of third parties. In my case, it's very useful to integrate with Jenkins and code versioning applications. We have implemented CI/CD and we received a slack notification with deploy information, testing information or if a system is down.

Cross-Platform:
Be able to access slack with cell-phone/desktop application is really awesome. If I don't have my computer at hand, I can keep replying messages and collaborate. Especially important when we have a critical bug, or we have to take action.

UX:
The UX is one of the best, you can start using slack with no training, it's very intuitive and easy to use. Once you start using it, you don't want to use other applications.

Cons

Conversion history:
Sometimes the conversion history is deleted after N amount of dates. Probably this is a configuration in my company, but I would like to store more information.

Re-Login:
Once in a while, you have to re-login, but what I don't like is that it logs you out without giving you a warning. It had happend before that the application logs me out, and I notice that one hour later.

Luis Ignacio

Reviewed on 24/04/2019

The disclosure for labor communications that all work needs.

Work communication has always presented problems, the excuses range from an email that did not arrive on time, to a document with compatibility problems. Since I implemented Slack within my workspace, and in the company where I work, I have managed to fulfill the assignments that I request in record time, which has improved reception to my work within the company and in the perception of each client that asks me for a design for any advertising campaign. For any entrepreneur, Slack is a fundamental ally, because they offer you different plans that match your economic abilities, thus saving time and money in an amazing tool that has saved me a lot of headaches and allowed me to have a more fluid communication with all my work team.

Pros

One of the things that I liked most to fulfill my assistance and attention to the work teams, is the mobility that Slack offers me, I have all the power of an effective, simple and friendly platform so that my work is better. The other aspect that I liked the most, is that it is an immediate communication channel that gives me the freedom to work from anywhere, a few weeks ago I traveled out of the city and managed to attend in real time to several clients of the company for which work. Also, thanks to its wide compatibility, I have managed to use it in different operating systems, it is so nice not to have to worry about why I have made it my favorite work communication platform. In addition, you can integrate it with other tools, which strengthens all the work that I must accomplish and the scope of response for my clients and colleagues.

Cons

I have thoroughly reviewed all aspects of this great platform, and until now I have not found any negative aspects to highlight, I can safely say that in these years using its services, I have only seen improvements so I know that in the future it will be better every time.

Laura

Reviewed on 19/08/2019

Slack is the best for fast conversation with the perfect sound quality.

The audio and video calls quality is always perfect and awesome. It always provide the great options to share screen and important information, data and documents in a instant manner. Overall, Slack is the most intuitive and perfect for business meeting. Hence, this software provide the best video calling with the perfect sound quality. The another thing that I most like about this software is that we can easily chat with the audio and video calls in a more efficient way. This software is the best source of communication because here are chatting opportunity is always free and reliable. Through the Slack software, it is so easy to connect myself to anyone and at anytime in the world.

Pros

Slack software is very easy to use and cloud sharing is too amazing of this software. Slack software is great for the audio and the video calls. The most favorite thing about this software is that it has the superb features with the great ability. I can also share the important information with anyone in a more efficient way. The another benefit thing about this software that provide us is that it is the best for the fast conversation with our friends and colleagues. I would recommended this software because Slack software is highly productive with the lots of good tool and features. For us, it is the best communication and the great video calling software. It really helps me in a ll of my business meetings. Moreover, it always provide the great customer services for its users. We can always handle all of our conversation in a group video chat in a best manner.

Cons

The great disadvantage of this software is that sometimes with any internet connection, it makes our communication so difficult and harder. Moreover, there are some features that are missing in the Slack software. So it should must enhanced the quality of its features. The another problem that we faced is that sometimes we cannot fast conversation in a group video chat, because of some internet problems. For the new users, it is so difficult of us to use it more properly. Otherwise, it provide the great conversation for the audio and the video calls.

Sarthak

Reviewed on 27/12/2019

Slack: No More Emails!

My overall experience with Slack has been great! It has enabled me to talk with my teammates and share code snippets ( which was a pain otherwise ) in a much easier way.

The software is free, so there is no harm in trying it out and the free tier is more than enough for small teams or people just trying stuff out! Give it a shot, you won't be disappointed!

Pros

The best aspect of slack is how effortless it makes communication between team members. No more emails, cc or bcc. Just create a group of your colleagues that you wanna talk to and send them a message.

Another great feature of Slack is the rich formatting. You can send code snippets or even bash commands that others can quickly use.

If you are on a paid plan, you can search all your previous messages since the time you joined slack, which makes it easy to find context or things that you had sent to others earlier.

There are also various add-ons, like Google Calendar, Drive, etc. which enables you to share your current status if you are in a meeting, or other things like sharing excels or powerpoints right in Slack without needing to open up the browser.

You can use it on your PC, the browser or even on your phone, so the availability is great!

Cons

One of the worst ( or best depending on your preference ) things is that Slack is like an instant messenger, so people expect you to respond quickly. Unlike email, where people have no clue when you see the email. On Slack, if I am online, my teammates expect me to reply quickly, but that doesn't always happen.

I don't feel there are any other issues with Slack, it is well-made software!

Jared Allen

Reviewed on 18/08/2022

Generally, experience is very useful and helped in sorting out the group correspondence quite well. Professionals: The best thing about slack is group cooperation and correspondence. The gathering and classifications in view of the subject are very great and help in the isolation of content in light of need. Also, it is very organized and easy to communicate especially in posting in thread.

Pros

Slack assists you with talking and communicating with specific individuals and groups inside your association or different associations with Slack rapidly. It likewise allows you to track all that individuals have said about a thought so you can look by catchphrase for a particular thought. I love it. I use it consistently, and you might actually say it's the collective conscience for the association. It's such a ton lighter than an email client, and I want to do my help tickets with different associations with it(honestly, there's likely an application for it out there). This leads me to another incredible point; Slack is perfect for rapidly imparting thoughts and coordinating a few applications. Pretty soon, the association between SF and Slack will improve, I'm certain. Your association needs Slack in the event that it can manage the cost of it. It is priceless for diminishing the time it takes to team up and use aggregate insight.

Cons

Allow me to begin by saying you're likely not going to find anything better than Slack. These reactions are enhancements to the item I think ought to be made however are in no way, shape, or form a legitimization for why you shouldn't utilize this. Email is killing your business by making you and your group sit around idly. My one test with any undertaking application is that it can get somewhat hard to figure even to design every one of those settings(email is more awful at this than Slack). I wish that settings were suggested in view of the use of highlights inside the application. Kindly assist me with figuring out how to involve Slack in additional useful ways. Kindly don't make me swim through help articles and directions. All things considered, put the button to switch the setting in a pop-around directly in the center of my work process or in a notice on Slackbot so I can roll out the improvement there and see the reason why it will assist me with being more useful. Warnings are difficult to make due, however, they're getting better at that. Simply realize I'm suffocating and would cherish a component worked in that offered the response to FAQs by utilizing some ML(apps that do this are too costly on the API to be worth the effort). I'm a well-informed authority and get pinged with a lot of DMs and's in channels that basically have similar responses. Assist me with volume so I as a solitary individual can help more individuals. Some something to think about. Also, they

Ryleigh

Reviewed on 23/09/2021

Much better than Hipchat

Overall, Slack is my favorite communication tool I've used. My company used Hipchat prior to Slack and we all rejoiced when the switch was made. It's more intuitive and much more customizable.

Pros

I like how I can set my own color themes and pick my notification sound. I have access to all the Apple emojis as well as Slack's fun emojis to set a status. The developers in my company have created new emojis as well and those are fun to use. Slack is the easiest way – and I have several tools at my disposal for this including Google Meet, Zoom and Uberconference/Dialpad – to do an audio call, video call or screen share with one other person. I prefer to use Google Meet for meetings with several people, but my go-to is slack for a call with just one other person. The pencil tool to highlight something is so handy when someone is sharing their screen with me. When on a call, the little phone emoji appears next to my name so others know that I'm on a call and can't respond right away.
I like being able to respond to a message in a thread too. My company has a channel for everyone in the company and the notification can get out of hand if lots of people are responding back and forth. But threads simplify that and make it so I can respond to a message in a thread versus the entire company seeing it. They can see the thread if they click on it, but it requires an extra step.
I also love the shortcuts for sharing gifs from giphy, setting reminders and others.
Oh, and setting notification preferences is amazing. I have my Slack set to only receive notifications during certain hours during the day so I'm not getting them all through the night and before the next workday starts.

Cons

I don't like that I can't create a Slack channel on my own. My company has it set up that only the admins can create new public and/or private channels. I can create a group to direct message with, but that's it. If I want a channel created, I have to go to the admin. I think this is more of a gripe for my company making that rule and not a Slack thing, though.
I also wish I could blur my background or set a fun background like you can in Google Meet and Zoom.

Grace
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 26/06/2018

If you are still using email to communicate at work, I feel bad for you.

Pros

Slack has totally innovated the way our team communicates and our productivity would not be the same without it.

Slack allows you to efficiently communicate with your team in a fun and enjoyable way. Unlike email, messages and files are easily searchable in one search box and slack also collects all of the attachments in your workspace together so they can be easily found.

Slack threads make it easy to organize discussions around certain topics and if the topic is important you can create a channel from the thread itself. You can also make these channels private if not everyone in the workspace should see the conversation.

Slack has incorporated really useful apps. I have taken advantage of the app to send polls to my team, and creating asana tasks right from a message. I also get a message from slack every day listing the events I have on my calendar for the day, and set up a way for students workers to clock-in right from slack. Recently slack has also integrated with Qualtrics, and you can have Qualtrics send slack message triggers which is awesome!

The slack app for ios is great. You can quickly answer co-workers on the go, and you can set your notifications to go on do not disturb during a certain time period each day if you do not want to receive push notifications out of work hours.

Cons

There really aren't many cons to slack although the app on the phone can be a bit buggy at times, but no real complaints and they seem to address any issues with a timely update.

Although slack has a multitude of apps, I do wish there were some apps they had. For instance, I would like the ability to create a google calendar event from a message or send a google calendar invite through slack. Although, they seem to be constantly innovating the platform, so hopefully this will be possible in the future.

Adam
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 04/12/2018

Communication for (Cool) Professionals

We can definitely communicate with almost no exceptions. It takes the "where is this person" out of the equation as you can just send them a message and know when they come online and see it. The benefits to not just sitting and waiting on an answered email are endless.

Pros

I don't remember how my team communicated before Slack. It keeps my coworkers connected in and out of the office. It cuts down on our emails and makes communication easy. There are a lot of apps and integrations that can be added to automate processes. You can integrate project management tools, Google Docs, Spotify, Canto DAM, Giphy for some fun with coworkers and so many more.

I love that I can drag and drop files, images and videos into slack to share with my coworkers. In addition, slack allows free integration with many other tools out there. My peers who are software developers talk about how easy it is in the backend for integration.

Slack is easy to use and has great built in functions for notifications. It has really been extremely helpful to get multiple departments talking at times and keep each department informed while not in the same location. The ability to upload files makes it easy to share ideas.

Cons

The Screen sharing could be improved, along with mic recognizing.

When network connectivity is lost during screen sharing or calls, the reconnect feature doesn't seem to work really efficiently.

My biggest complaint is that Slack makes you way too available. You're expected to know whats going on whether you are at home sick or in the office working.

Sometimes the app on the phone won't clear your notifications even after reading or checking through them.