Taxprep Reviews

About Taxprep

Taxprep is a cloud-based tax preparation software that helps companies with diagnostics, data entry, audit reviews, quality assurance and more. The system allows users to conduct in-depth analyses including trendlines, rolling...

3.8
4.2

Browse Taxprep Reviews

nathalie
nathalie

Reviewed on 30/04/2020

Pro Fx is the greatest tax software out there

Overall, I've had a very positive experience with Tax prep. I am able to work on large and complicated returns on a user friendly software.

Pros

Wolters Kluwers tax prep has been my most preferred tax preparation software for multiple reasons. It's a very sophisticated software and enables me to prepare complex tax returns that include an enormous amount of information and forms. I find it very user friendly and easy to navigate and I feel the input sheets are organized in a convenient way. I also like the presentation of the instructional letters.

Cons

I will, to an extent, always struggle with state returns and this is where i feel this, as well as other tax prep softwares fall short. It's difficult to determine where to input certain information so that it flows to the correct line on the state return. If the "link to worksheet" function could provide better guidance, that would be much more helpful.

Alexei

Reviewed on 06/05/2021

Title

It is best interface and using comparing to other product of the same domain.

Pros

It’s professional and pointed on formulars instead of simple data entering

Cons

It is expensive, version updating process is manual, it is slow starting, slow opens files.
There is a list of problems and missing features that could be implemented:
- Form 21200 makes wrong calculation of amount for QST refund (reported into VD-358)
- CARE form took in federal consideration the amount entered in Quebec - it should not, because some times there is no deductible amount to federal side;
- When TED federal fails, it should not try to send provincial;
- in TP1 should be the possibility to transfer Québec refund into conjoint automatically, now it always manual;
- Where is useless diagnostics in a report of depending person. Dependant have same address, but diagnostics is asking if he lives alone and two more related questions;
- Then you try to open more then 5 pdf files (after generating pdfs) it always asking to confirm, because it maybe slow down the system. There is should be possibility suppress that confirmation forever. Like check box "Do not ask this question in a future";
- There is shoud be a summary page similar to DT max summary page - that shows essential information on one page;
- Then a person have self-employe income (2125) and foreign employe income, program should not calculate RQPP on this foreign income.

Ed

Review of T2 programs

Pros

I have been using Taxprep for over 20 years. I am very familiar with the program. The program is relatively easy to use. I like the fact that the return on the screen is exactly the same as what is printed out. The diagnostics function is very useful.

Cons

I have noticed a change in version 2 of the T2 2019 program which is not at all useful. When you first open the program you used to be able to see certain information about each client without going into the actual file (i.e. the status, the year end, whether the return had been e-filed etc.). Now you have to actually open the particular client file to see that information. I don't know if this an option that has to be selected but I have been unable to find the answer. Extremely annoying. Also, the program has become quite expensive, especially for a sole practitioner.

Top Taxprep Alternatives

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

ONESOURCE Trust Tax

Glenn

Reviewed on 24/01/2020

Review of Taxprep

Pros

The software is much more robust than other tax software we have used. There are many diagnostics that are available and the search function works well. We also like the link with their other client management system, iFirm.

Cons

The software is much pricier than other options. Customer support was very poor when we were attempting to purchase additional licenses. I would also consider training poor. It's hard to absorb all of the training initially when you don't know the software and you don't know the features and you don't know what questions to ask yet. They should come out after a year with an update training so the users can have much more specific questions they can ask. The multiple updates that we receive during the year is also annoying. We have to have our IT department update on each and every computer every time there is an update (which there are many) which costs us even more money. The old software we used, Profile, had an update feature that warned each user that an update was available when they were in the software and could click on a link and update themselves, without the involvement of the IT department. This is much more preferred. Our IT costs have gone up 20% when we changed over to Taxprep because of all these updates.

Scott

Reviewed on 31/10/2019

There's competition and then there's Taxprep

Our public accounting practice produces a thousand personal tax returns and hundreds of corporate returns, so a tax preparation software is critical. We started with Taxprep about a quarter century ago. The software continues to evolve. Every few years we look at a host of other preparation software and talk to other preparers in the industry. Given our client base, with its particular complexity, we can't imagine another software handling it all. We also prepare US tax returns and have gone through numerous software providers; our terrible experience with US tax preparation software makes us realize how lucky we are with Taxprep for our Canadian work.

Pros

Importing and exporting data - we use this in a host of ways. For example, we have developed our own processing dashboard, detailed label production that provides key data on the docket speeding intake or referencing, sharing info between files, billing management, analyzing client base for potential review issues, double checking filings, etc.

Rich with nearly all required forms. Most complete of any tax software we have reviewed.

Reliable.

Cons

The form layouts often have a curious arrangement to them which is not ideal for data entry.

The drill down data on multi-forms (e.g. family member names) is inaccessible to the data reporter.

Andrea

Reviewed on 05/11/2019

Taxprep review Nov 2019

Good product , good customer service when required, no complaints other than mentioned above

Pros

Easy to use although since i have been using for 15+ years familiarity also adds to ease of use.

Cons

requirement to open different versions of the software for different years' filings. Need to manage multiple versions or if you open an earlier year's return you need to ensure the right version has been opened. Solving this issue (as Profile does) would allow ranking of 10's

Kelly

Great product

It was a great upgrade from our previous software and it integrates well with the other software from cch which creates a great way for us to manage our midsized form.

Pros

The checkup is great for providing insight on things you might not think of. This program makes reviewing a breeze.

Cons

File management must be done in a specific manner otherwise the tools for connecting groups or running queries is a nightmare. We learned this the hard way.

Justin

Taxprep review

As taxprep is starting to more and more integrate with iFirm and other products, having one major database to run it all it is quickly becoming the 2nd most used software in the firm.

Pros

Taxprep - both T1, T2 and Forms - are the most advanced and robust software on the market today. Not only does their T1 product have an over 95% CRA efile acceptance rate - but it is the easiest to use software we currently use. No matter if your tax returns are simple or very complex Taxprep can handle it by making it easier to prepare an accurate return.

Cons

It is expensive there is no way around that. But when you look at their development team there is a reason why. They put through changes and correct errors/problems at a speed you just won't see with any other software provider in Canada.

Bryan

Reviewed on 05/11/2019

Taxprep

I have been administering Taxprep since 2002. The program is consistently consistent. Very rare to find a major flaw, it just works. The advanced networking module is a must for a firm of my size and allows great customization for different groups. It just works!!

Pros

It does exactly what you want it to do. There is a reason why firms such as mine depend on Taxprep. It's not flashy, but certainly not basic. Regular updates keep it up with CRA changes and the customer support is always helpful. I could not imagine using any other software.

Cons

Due to the nature of the software, I need to keep all old versions up-to-date annually, manually changing the client letters and Electronic filing passwords. As the administrator, this is a tad time consuming. I wish there was a simple way to update all the software from one master console.

Leonard

TurnerMoore LLP

Pros

We have used Taxprep for 22 years. The product and technical support was always excellent. Three years ago technical support changed. The calculations and diagnostics are excellent.

Cons

We had printer issues which technical support and technical support was short and rude.

We have sat on hold to speak to someone for a very long time over the last two years. It has become as bad as dealing with CRA.

Last year Taxprep online was down for almost a month. We could not reach technical support. We could not do tax returns because it was down. We had no alternative product as it was totally down! THIS WAS NOT ACCEPTABLE.

Our other office uses the desktop, and the desk top had restrictions during this period of an issue and was not usable.

We pay a huge premium for taxprep. After 22 years both of our offices will likely be changing ta

Shabir

Reviewed on 12/11/2019

Using Taxprep Platinum Internet

It helps us in doing what-if scenarios for tax planning.

Pros

It's a dependable - intuitive - quality software.

Cons

2018 tax year was the year when the speed of loading the software has been too slow.
Clients also had trouble printing the T183's to scan back to us.
Hopefully, in the 2019 season - it will be back to normal in terms of speed and quality.

Cheryl

Reviewed on 14/01/2020

Long time user potentially being forced to change due to cost of software

Generally a very positive experience with Taxprep. We're a small family business. We have used Taxprep since we switched from manually preparing the tax returns - probably close to 30 years ago.

We've been receiving advertising regarding software that could be used for a limited number of returns. We wish an option like that were available with Taxprep. If at all possible, we would like to continue using Taxprep. However, that may not be feasible due to the cost.

Pros

Consistency from year to year.
Reliability.

Cons

The cost. Our firm is winding down. As we wind down the cost ratio is getting so high that we may have to look at other options.

DENIS

Reviewed on 14/01/2020

Improvment to Schedule # 60

I am an SR&ED Consultant and prepared about 50 claim a year and of all software that I use, I prefer Taxprep to Profile, CanTax and other tax Software because its menu driven, easy to operate and very friendly.

Pros

Software is easy to navigate, schedule and amount are properly prorated and easy to follow.

Cons

When information has to be repeated to one schedule to another, the only option is to Copy and past the Info from one schedule to the other.(Can be Time Consuming) For Example, if I have 20 Projects in an SR&ED Claim, I have to type similar information in each schedule instead of having the information pop-up base on the First Letter of a specific box. I use different Tax software base on my client need. I use Profile which have the function that I have outline above which is grate because its reduce time at entering the info. However, their software is not as friendly as Taxprep.

Long Time User

Pros

The Taxprep programs that we use (T1, T2, T3 & Forms) are generally very reliable for both the returns/forms produced by them and their operations (rarely crash or cause other problems).

Cons

We run the programs on a network and the Forms program requires a complete installation rather than an update when updated version of the program is released during the year. This is not a huge problem, but it does mean that an update for Forms requires more time as the settings have to be reconfigured and checked.

bradley

Taxprep is great

i have used various programs over my career preparing tax returns and taxprep is by far the best product out there... definitely more expensive than other products, but the feature taxprep provides makes preparing the returns and tax season run smoother and is more efficient

Pros

customer service and ease to use (diagnostics are very useful and helpful)

Cons

The program is great, but the major issue would be the price... i guess in this case it is a matter of "you get what you pay for"... high quality product

Sheila

Software

I do not like the fact that the software no longer supports Windows 7. I was using the scanning feature which required Windows 7 Pro even though at that time, Windows had a more advanced version. Now it is not supported any longer.

Pros

I have always like the tax software because it has every schedule you could possible imagine. Other tax software programs are limited to the specific schedules they provide.

Cons

The software is costly would be the only con of this program

Sue

Reviewed on 24/06/2019

Personal and Corporate Tax Prep

Good.

Pros

Ease of use, nice interface, good diagnostics. Reliable

Cons

Nuisance diagnostics.
# of revisions
Way too expensive.
Too much pushing of other products.

Geoff

Reviewed on 25/03/2021

Love TaxPrep

Exactly what i required and fulfilled my expectations

Pros

Worked with Taxprep products my entire career as a Tax Partner with a Big 4 firm. On retirement I have continued to consult to a select few clients and the Taxprep software fully accommodates my need

Cons

Nothing noted - given my background with TaxPrep continuing to use on my own after retirement was seamless

Emma

Reviewed on 15/01/2020

tax prepare review

tax planning is good

Pros

all credits/payable can be seen in one place

Cons

price of software. and from trial to actual software there is difference that I don't aware when I use discount version

Douglas

Reviewed on 10/01/2020

Tax Prep user from the beginning

Pros

Most comprehensive tax compliance and research software with quality training and updates.

Cons

No concerns on compliance software. I find initial research still begins with a paper copy of the Act to read the index to find and read the relevant sections. Intelliconnect is useful for next level to find commentary and research documents.

MARTIN

Reviewed on 18/01/2020

CRITCAL REVIEW

Pros

I am not computer literate, however, I find this software very easy to use
I also find the help feature to be very helpfull

Cons

The pricing. I am 77 years old and am heading towards retirement. As my practice diminishes the costs become prohibitive. I have requested a seniors discount with no success

Gregory
  • Industry: Music

Industry Standard

Pros

This software is the one of the best softwares in the industry, and it has been used at my last 3 employers. The learning curve is slightly steep for those without a deep understanding in tax, however, once you get the hang of it, the software is quite intuitive.

Cons

I would absolutely love to be able to open to instances of the software and view two tax returns simultaneously on my two monitors. This way I can compare with the prior year, and I can compare it with other companies to ensure consistency across groups, and years.

allan

Reviewed on 18/01/2020

Allan Hayman CPA, CA review of Taxprep software

Easy to you. Although I do not use some of the expanded (optional) features. I like the year-to-year consistency.

Pros

Consistency Reliability Accuracy year-to-year. Ease to install.

Cons

The price. Should be cheaper, especially for users like me who use multiple Taxprep products - T1 and T2.

MARY
  • Used for 2+ years

Tax Prep,

So far so good and its been 6 years

Pros

Ease of use and the ability to roll forward

Cons

You almost need to be an accountant to use all features

Sandra

TaxPrep Review

We have used Taxprep for over 15 years and it is user friendly, competitive price and updates are regular.

Pros

Taxprep is user friendly. It is easy to set up the profile each year. Updates are received on a regular basis.

Cons

The only Taxprep program that is not user friendly is Taxprep for Trusts.