About Aha!

Aha! Roadmaps is the complete product management suite to set strategy, capture ideas, score features, and share visual roadmap plans. It includes Aha! Ideas Essentials for crowdsourcing feedback. More than 5,000 companies and...

Browse Aha! Reviews

David P. David P.
  • Industry: Facilities Services

Reviewed on 27/07/2020

I will use this software for the rest of my career. It's worth every penny.

If you've used developer-centric tools (Jira, for example), you know that they may be great for tracking stories and sprints, but they have very limited support (if any) for tracking the actual thought process in coming up with those stories. Either they don't have enough levels of hierarchy, or they try to get away with tags for everything. This is the first product that I've every used that has a structured methodology and design approach to evaluating your goals as a company / department; figuring out what initiatives support those goals; further breaking the initiatives down into master features (sometimes called Epics in other packages), and then individual features (stories). It also generates beautiful roadmaps, and has a transformational scorecard feature that lets you set up the criteria that matter, then rate all of your features, then calculate a score so you have a definitive order in which to do things.

Pros

The comprehensiveness of this software is incredible. It has almost everything you can possibly conceive of when building nearly any type of product or service. It helps you organize, plan, communicate, rate, rank, document, and create everything you need, except the actual software code (but you can just assign the stories to your dev team, and/or sync to another product). It also empowers you to have the conversations with stakeholders to figure out truly what's important (as opposed to the endless chorus of "it's all important"). I wish I would have known about this years ago.

Cons

The single largest missing feature is OKR support. There are goals and metrics, but not a structured way to do OKRs for products/teams. But there is also plenty of other software in the world that does it. We did struggle a bit with the integration with Jira, but that's largely because of Jira deficiencies.

Joseph F. Joseph F.
  • Industry: Management Consulting
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 24/06/2020

Frequently Recommend to My Clients

I have recommended and will continue to recommend Aha! to my clients whenever they want to clearly see how their roadmap, initiatives, values, mission, personals, competitors, projects and releases are all interrelated and support (or don't support) the overall goals of the organization.
It comes down to one word...CLARITY.

Pros

I am a management consultant. I work with small to medium-size businesses. Often these engagements involve helping leaders get their arms around a complex set of long-range forecasts roadmaps, projects, initiatives, strategic goals, products, services, and more. Aha! brings clarity to my clients like no other tool I have used. There are other tools that do this or that but nothing is as easy to use and drives clarity for leadership in an organization.
I love the ability to create a live web page that shows changes and updates to the roadmaps and other documentation in real-time.
The time savings alone in not having to create a new slide deck for the executives is a sheer delight to my clients.

Cons

If you are looking for something to manage the details of your project, I would not use Aha! It just isn't made for that. I always set Aha! on top of a project or product management system; jira or smartsheet.
Getting your head wrapped around the hierarchy of Aha! can be a learning curve but once you get that down it makes sense and works great.

Jira and Pivotal Tracker

Reasons for Switching to Aha!

That's simple, Clarity. Aha! beats everyone hands down for creating clarity at an executive level.
Jeffrey R. Jeffrey R.
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Reviewed on 05/02/2020

The standard for Product Management tools

I am now using Aha! in my 3rd company. One was enterprise SaaS focus, one was a 70 person team and now as a bootstrapped start-up. Each experience has been very positive. I've been able to accomplish what I need without a lot of fuss or distraction.

Pros

Aha! is a great canvas to organize your business, product and customer journey. You can take many of the miscellaneous thoughts you have rattling around in your head, and the many post-it notes you have scattered around your office and put them to use in an organized way. It is hard to emphasize the importance of seeing your ideas and tasks written down and prioritized. Aha! makes it easy to articulate your goals and initiatives in a way that is compelling. Then when feature requests come in (as they inevitably will) you have a canvas for deciding how a request compares against the priorities and compared to other requests. It helps you and your stakeholders come together, discuss and come to a consensus on 'what should we build next.'
Another think that I love is the fact that Aha! team does not have a sales function. Instead the platform has invested in a top notch customer support team who will help you customize and build out your plans. They help with introductory, small and big projects.

Cons

Can't think of any specific shortcomings. The platform is very deep and customizable so it can grow with your team's needs.

ProdPad and Wrike

Reasons for Switching to Aha!

Aha! is the most complete and functional tool for managing the business side of product. It is critical to get this part right before a team writes a single line of code. There are many good tools for managing code development and release pipelines, but that is a different set of utility. The good news is Aha! integrates with code management tools to keep /management/sales/marketing/product in-sync with development.

Top Aha! Alternatives

Susu A. Susu A.

Reviewed on 15/01/2020

All around great tool for product strategy - the "why" behind the roadmap

I used Aha previously as well as just getting started with it at my current employer. After using Aha, you will never want to go back to the chaos of PowerPoint, Excel, MS Teams, Sharepoint, etc. I have had nothing but great experiences with the Aha team, both during the trial period and once we became a customer.

Pros

- Easy to use and learn
- Excellent support team, knowledgeable and responsive (all former product managers!)
- Several templates to choose from, or create your own
- Well defined structure for strategy, vision, goals and initiatives - single source of truth for the Product team
- Easy to share content with stakeholders
- Highly configurable to our organizations terminology and product hierarchy

Cons

- The presentation capabilities are somewhat rudimentary (formatting, graphics)
- Limited ability to support the Jobs-to-be-Done methodology (there are ways, but it's a bit of a square peg in a round hole)
- Embedded tables aren't sortable so it's a bit like older versions of Confluence

Asana, ProductPlan, Productboard and Jira

Reasons for Switching to Aha!

Aha is more comprehensive, going beyond the roadmap and the "what" we are building to having dedicated space and structure for the "why" and "who" that drives the strategy. It's really product strategy + product development all in one. We weren't looking for an engineering tool like JIRA - we have that. We needed a place for business case development and strategic planning, sharing of real-time roadmaps, and a single source of truth for all things related to product strategy. The other tools seemed like targeted solutions to parts of product management rather than the entire discipline.
Simon M. Simon M.

Reviewed on 19/06/2018

A Product Manager's best friend

Pros

Having been on a long journey over the years with many different types of project/product management software solutions, none of them ever seemed to be "the one". Aha takes a different approach, and focuses on management of end-customer value that is aligned against the vision you have for your company and its products.

It's the first work management platform I've used that took this holistic approach, and actually its massively empowering. I'm now able to construct high level roadmaps for complex projects that span multi-discipline teams that can be reported to all stakeholders very clearly and easily.

Managing the features the team are going to focus on in a customer centric way is also great. Yes, you can use Aha for task management, but often in a product management capacity it's more important to express WHAT customer outcomes & benefits we want, and then let the team figure out HOW to deliver them.

Moreover, the customer support from the Aha team is excellent, with plenty of guides not just how to use the platform, but also how to strategically tackle typical challenges that product managers face.

I highly recommend Aha. It's a liberating product from a team that clearly have an awesome culture based around customer success.

Cons

Aha is a sophisticated tool that's very flexible and configurable so it takes a little while to get fluent with everything it can do, and understand the best workflow patterns with it. That said, once you find your groove it gets much easier. The support team help with that though.
Pricing is also in the premium end of the market, particularly for smaller companies, but then you do tend to get what you pay for.

John P. John P.

Reviewed on 23/05/2017

Great Tool for Project & Portfolio Mgmt

We can share project information and status immediately within our team, also useful for visual displays for internal and external meetings.

Pros

As an IS project management team, we like Aha's ability to organize all project and portfolio information in one spot. The custom report section's timeline report is used frequently for all portfolio reviews, and it allows us to drill down to a product, release, feature with 3 clicks.
We also use the comments sections for meeting minutes and another task tracking. I would estimate we only use 50% of Aha's capabilities but are very happy with our purchase. I Also customer service is 5 star when I submit an email I get a response often within the hour.

Cons

There is a bit of a learning curve, but videos help. I think you need a senior resource that will take a couple weeks to sift through all the features and identify what's important for your implementation vs. nice to have. Since we are an IS PM team, we don't use strategy and ideas, we only use product, release, features & reports tabs. We have experimented with strategy and ideas features but have not had the time to fully explore.

There are a couple of items I have mentioned to customer service:
I would like the ability to store documents with the assurance I can recall if needed - currently, when I attach word docs I have to keep a backup in SharePoint based on advice from customer service.
I would like the calendar to exclude weekends as the default (or as an option) currently when I set up releases using my templates I have to go in and change start and end dates to workdays,

Geraldine C. Geraldine C.
  • Industry: Utilities

Reviewed on 12/11/2019

Flexible software to allow Product Managers to refocus on strategy

Pros

I particularly like how Aha! allows the PM to link the features/tasks the team are working on to the reasons why these features have been defined and prioritized over others. It gives a clear direction to the entire team.

I recently joined a startup company as a product manager and I felt daunted by the amount of features and tasks that were waiting to be developed in the backlog. The team was working in Agile mode, releasing features as soon as they were developed. It was extremely complicated to organize them around objectives and priorities and we had no visibility on when each of them would become available. Some members also felt that the team was sometimes working on features that should not be considered high priority.
Aha! solves these problems as it helped us organize the developments into theme-boxed releases (even if we actually put features in production as they are developed) and the master features improve clarity by grouping features into epics. Each of them are also now clearly graded in term of business value and effort and linked to overarching goals and initiatives in order to justify the priorities.

The dynamic reporting features are also a real time-saver.

Finally the hotline is amazing! I had a couple of exchanges with them and their reactivity and helpfulness was way above my expectations.

Cons

I have only used the software as a trial until now, so I haven't spent too much time in adapting it to our specific needs. Once we sign up for the paid version, I know that I will have to dedicate a few days to set it up to best fit our needs and customize a few of the options.
I am glad that their support team is so responsive. I am pretty sure I will need their help and I am looking forward to working with them and benefiting from their experience from other companies.

Jon T. Jon T.

Reviewed on 13/09/2019

Great Start!

Program-level road mapping is looking very positive. We are looking to continue the evaluation for a bit more and then look to purchase a number of enterprise-wide licences for program and project managers to utilise and share a common and collaborative platform.

Pros

Very robust, yet flexible to my needs and presentation. Always accessible with the cloud-based format. Visual illustrations of roadmaps and timelines across many projects and programs conveys customisable key messages to all key stakeholders- Executives, managers, and team members, alike. Customer support is also awesome; I was able to engage in a 1:1 tutorial and answer all my queries at that time and readily afterwards.

Cons

A bit of a learning curve as to how to apply the software to fit my requirements and intentions. Customer support helped a lot to easily overcome that.

Roadmunk and Visio

Roadmunk and Visio

Reasons for Switching to Aha!

For the integration and features noted above.
Anvar Z. Anvar Z.

Reviewed on 25/05/2020

Product Roadmap Tool in a Post-Agile era

Pros

We are building industry-specific business operations software expanding organically into many relative industries and this needs extensive product planning. We use Jira for our development and have use(d) Trello and Asana for other projects. Although all of these tools are useful we need a high-level view and a tool to achieve our short/long term goals and eventually our vision. Aha! is a great fit for our requirement and will be using it for a long time to come.

Cons

We are still exploring features of integrating with other tools and there may be a disconnect in connect to other tools.

Confluence and Jira

Asana

Reasons for Switching to Aha!

A perfect fit for product road mapping.
Michaela G. Michaela G.
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 07/08/2019

Every product manager's must have.

Pros

We've used a lot of product management software options. Categorically, Aha! is the best available on the market. The holistic approach of Aha! to product management is incredibly useful, and forward thinking. We have always advocated customer centric product approaches and Aha! really lends well to this way of thinking and framing your products. I can highly recommend Aha to any business interested in efficiently trading and managing their product function.

Cons

There's really nothing I could say as a negative to the software. The support team is extremely helpful and I have not yet had an issue.

monday.com
Joshua F. Joshua F.

Reviewed on 22/08/2019

Master, Product & Marketing

I already have; see Pros and Cons.

Pros

Workflow is sensational. Hierarchical nature and flexibility to structure product and marketing in a synergistic nature are unlike any other product I have used. Integrations with JIRA are superb, robust, and reliable. The support team makes us feel like they work at our company. Idea portals allow us to engage our customer base and elicit feedback to help us build our roadmap.

Cons

Aha! is a premium product, and comes with a premium price tag. While this is an easy cost/benefit win, the cost of Aha! as a startup may be difficult to justify. Despite this, Aha! does offer a startup plan for new businesses, which turns this Con into a Pro. To my fellow startups out there working on Go-to-Market and launch, I strongly recommend reaching out to Aha! to see if they will accept you into their Startup program. Aha! is run by former Product Manager's who understand our struggle, and this program is ideal to give you the advanced tools needed to be successful with your launch.

Matt A. Matt A.

Reviewed on 15/06/2017

Awesome platform for managing product development for distributed teams

A massive increase in visibility and comprehension between sales/product design and the development teams. We now have better certainty about features and requirements, and there's a lot less 'lost email' that previously led to confusion and delays.

Pros

Very complete product for working on one or more product management projects. We've noticed a 'tightening up' of both our internal and external teams for communication, comprehension, and delivery as we shifted to Aha. It feels like we've barely scratched the surface of what's possible in the product especially with integrations and the various template, workflows, and automation.
We have two development teams on our first Aha project, and Aha has made it very easy to see the dependencies between teams and keep the conversations and 'to do' tasks in one place.
Customer support has been proactive, and I could get on online meeting upon request to clarify some very specific points that related to our workflow. Documentation is also very good and for a deep product there is a high degree of intuitiveness (if that's a word).

Cons

It's a big program for sure. I didn't realise how much data entry I had to do until I could everything in one place, and manage the feature/requirement/task relationships properly. That's a 'con' because I hate having clarity on how much work I need to do..
For a web application Aha is very rich/deep, so the UI takes a little time to comprehend

Joe G. Joe G.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 02/03/2020

It's a must have if you are a product manager

Terrific! Very patient and willing to jump on calls. Couldn't ask for more collaboration.

Pros

Hello- I am on year #4 of using Aha! for managing my product roadmap. It's a single location where your product teams can effectively manage their backlog, create user personas, outline releases and build out your business canvas. I love that you can update these elements in real-time. Also, there are so many great features like the idea portal where you can store potential ideas that don't necessarily become features.
Don't forget about their blog and resources.

Cons

For those individuals that don't have access to Aha!, they want feature detail- which they are unable to get without a license.

Nick K. Nick K.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 03/04/2017

The perfect solution for software product managers & development teams

Introducing Aha! into our product delivery process has further reduced the gap between product & technical teams and resulted in a more predictable & stable team cadence. More importantly, our adoption of the product has helped us deliver projects on-time, whilst continuing to manage and prioritise requests from existing customers.

Prior to discovering Aha, we were planning an in-house tool which connected our product managers to development teams. After a short trial, we finally got that "Aha" moment when we hooked up Atlassian JIRA & Slack and realised that we wouldn't need to spend time away from our core business activities to develop a solution to manage ideas and product features.

We've been using the product for almost a year now and have required support twice for minor issues. In both instances, the company has been ultra-responsive, with answers coming from actual product managers at the company... even late on a Saturday night.

The product does have a slightly steep learning curve, but if you stick with it and take the time to set it up, it's well worth the upfront investment in time! Supporting everything from company vision, right down to individual feature specifications means products managers have everything they need to keep our product relevant and ahead of the curve.

Gayla N. Gayla N.

Reviewed on 17/11/2020

Great software made for Product Management team

Overall, we've had a great experience with Aha! and it has fully met the needs of my entire Product Management team.

Pros

It really does have everything that our product managers could want. It's got advanced functionality and the integration with JIRA is second to none. It includes areas for strategy, vision, personas, an idea portal, user story mapping, and feature boards. It's literally got everything and presents the information in a pleasing way.

Cons

It's a bit cumbersome to set up and begin using so you have to do your research and watch a lot of videos in order to set yourself up to use the tool successfully. It is very feature-rich so it can be quite complex.

Asana and ProductPlan

Reasons for Switching to Aha!

We chose Aha! because of the depth of functionality and features within the tool, as well as the robust Idea Portal and the seamless integration with JIRA.
Jon S. Jon S.
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

Reviewed on 13/06/2020

Great product for mapping out how you get from A->B

Our experience with Aha has been positive so far, we've not made use of any of the product experts and their service desk responded within a few hours the few times we've had queries.

Pros

Aha was quick to synchronize with our existing workflows (primarily JIRA) and made it easy to map our business strategy and initiatives against our development needs, time-lining those out in parallel with our sales and marketing strategies in a nice concise set of views.

Cons

Initially the product felt quite complex with a large variety of displays, dashboards and configuration when compared with other products on the market. We currently only require and using a subset of the functionality, however it ended up being easy to hide everything we didn't want to use and focus in on the areas we did, allowing us to expand as our needs do.

airfocus, Trello, Productboard and Jira

Reasons for Switching to Aha!

Each of the products evaluated have their pro's and con's but generally didn't bring the right components together in the same place for our needs.
Jon E. Jon E.

Reviewed on 27/04/2018

Over all, the easiest most feature rich product of it's type

Easier management, improved communications, better roadmap visibility.

Pros

Incredibly easy to setup and use. After watching the training videos I was up and running with a test project within the hour. The interface is clean and consistent, and largely self explanatory for anyone - you don't need to be a product or project manager. The fact that it provides light functions to bring together different business areas and report on pretty much everything is a real bonus. I have used Jira in the past and a complaint often heard from non technical staff is 'it's too techie'. Aha is not - it's very simple, and as a bonus integrates with Jira if that's what your dev team use. Support is also lightning quick - quite literally all of my comms have been responded to withing the hour - sometimes within 15 minutes - and that's an answer from a person - not an automated 'we'll deal with it sometime never' response.

Cons

There is very little not to like. If I had a single criticism, *some* parts of config are not that obvious, but very little. I am actually struggling to think of another con. I guess the file manager/document management could be a little bit more feature rich if you are used to using confluence you may notice that.

• Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 20/04/2018

This is a very useful software for building the product feature roadmap and tracking it

I am able to build my product roadmap and have it in a state where it can be shared easily with others, track the progress of features and plan ahead.

Pros

The product works well for the most of the product development lifecycle. It is customizable enough to have multiple products and product lines tracked efficiently and in detail. It's Pivot reports functionality is very powerful to view the features grouped by various parameters and generate some excellent reports.

Cons

The integration with JIRA is sometimes a little unstable, especially when it comes to custom fields that we use heavily within our organization. It could also do a better job about allowing more ways to input and represent the detailed product strategy in the Strategy part of the tool

• Industry: Computer & Network Security

Reviewed on 29/05/2020

Possibly the best product management and roadmapping tool. Period.

We love it -- My team and I. Their support has been quite great too.

Pros

Simplicity and ease of use. We tested almost 4 other products and can safely say Aha! takes away the complexity and the confusion away for small product teams when building software, and yet retains the powerful features so that we can grow.

Cons

Cant think of anything extraordinary that may have had a negative impact. Really can't..

ProductPlan, Productboard and Airtable

Reasons for Switching to Aha!

Simplicity and ease of use. They also had a very attractive Startup plan, which requires qualification. But we'd likely have still bought it, considering that we didn't want to spend so much time learning how to use a tool :) instead preferred a tool that adapts to our own ways.
Jay P. Jay P.
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 17/02/2020

Roadmapping - across IT, Product, Services - Made Easy

It's been great. We've been able to put together information very quickly to show progress, future plans, and dependencies on other items.

Pros

Once you have a general idea of the structure you'd like to use, it's very easy to just start adding goals, initiatives, features, etc. Brainstorming and collaboration go hand in hand. Features are constantly improved and feedback can be tracked from the ideas board to implementation. Plus, support is always super responsive and you're able to make quick progress. Oh, and I don't use PowerPoint anymore :).

Cons

It's not a con, but they are always releasing new functionality - so you have to pay attention to the updates to ensure you're on top of changes. Major releases do come with great instructions on the changes - how to use going forward and how it impacts what you already have.

Angelica D. Angelica D.

Reviewed on 22/05/2020

Develop and Track Current and Future Product Roadmaps

Pros

We signed up with Aha! about a month. We had taken some-time to evaluate a variety of tools to determine which one is the best for us to use to develop and track our product roadmap. Currently, we are in the process of configuring Aha! and integrating it with JIRA and Confluence as well as implementing the Ideas Board and Resource Planning.

Pros:
Aha! provides the platform needed to integrate the business side (strategy, personas, business goals) with the technical side (product roadmap, resource planning), as well as with the customer side (ideas board). The support team is very prompt in replying to emails and answering the customer support phone line.

Cons

Configuration with JIRA is not as intuitive, and it requires some additional support from the Aha! team. Of course, additional support and training, depend on the purchased plan.

Anton Z. Anton Z.

Reviewed on 23/01/2018

We love Aha and the way it helps our distributed team to stay focused on what's important.

Pros

It is designed with the product management in mind, the way it should be. Helping you to focus on the key things that you need to clarify, design and plan. At the same time it allows you to customize the flow/process you want to use in your team, and even the vocabulary/terms you get used to use - so you really feel that it's your team's tool at the end!
Our Engineering team also enjoys using Aha cause it gives them convenience while updating the progress on current business requirements and also allows to keep track of the technical features on the roadmap.

Cons

The recently launched Mockups feature still requires improvements here and there, but I know for sure that at the end Aha team will do it the best way possible for its users.

Andrew C. Andrew C.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 15/11/2019

A great product management tool

I've used it for about 4 years now and it is indispensable to my job.

Pros

The extent to which it can be tailored/customised.

Cons

Some unintuitive behaviour. E.g. some Feature workflow states (that are not in use by any Feature) cannot be deleted because it complains they are in use.

Meridith P. Meridith P.
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Reviewed on 02/11/2020

Excellent Customer Service

We are a rather young product management team, we chose Aha! because we are in a growing industry and needed our business function to mature quickly. The expertise and best practices embedded in Aha! made our choice clear. The team really delivered! We bought the enterprise+ package and feel like we got good value for our purchase.

Pros

The software is structured very well, I love that it is specifically for my work function. No need to make a square peg fit in a round hole, it is for product management.

Cons

I didn't really understand the structure and how each field relates to the other.

Trello and Jira

Reasons for Switching to Aha!

The expertise of the teams. Hands down.
Mike H. Mike H.
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 19/05/2017

Aha has changed the game for us.

I think the biggest benefit to using this is the transparency that the entire organization gets from using the software.

Pros

It's not that we didn't do what the software does, but what it does is organizes it and draws all the parallels together in one very nice interface. We are currently working with all the integrations to the different software we currently use. It is a great tool to organize and see your product lifecycle in one very clean interface. The ability to view everything in the lifecycle and see not only the WHAT but the WHY makes it very powerful.

Cons

I wish they had a mobile interface. So many times in meetings I get asked about one thing or another and pulling it up on my phone is doable, but not awesome...