Quicken Reviews

About Quicken

Quicken is an accounting solution for rental properties that comes with rent payment tools, which allow enterprises to track outstanding payments and send rent receipts to tenants. Additionally, its planning module lets users...

3.7

Browse Quicken Reviews

• Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 03/03/2021

stay up to date quickly with quicken

We first started using this back in 2003. we have used the different versions over time as they upgrade. It is great because our account is well versed in the program, and therefore it saves us time and money to do the year-end reports.

Pros

This program is very versatile. Our account appreciates the account version that we can send him to do our year ends or PPP. It saves from manually recording checks into the register, allows us to split receipts, and split how we pay. the program is easy to use, and our bookkeeper can find online help or customer service help quickly and accurately. This is a program that is worth the money, and you won't switch because the years build off of each other.

Cons

It takes a little time to understand how it works. You need to really pay attention to how you set your program up and enter the data to distinguish between vendors, clients, etc., overall a solid program accepted in the industry.

Fernando
  • Industry: Events Services
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 17/12/2020

Great experience. The technology is great. Just hard to keep up with the monthly fees for a small business.

Pros

I like it. I just don't like monthly fees or having to upgrade to be able to connect bank accounts for automatic upgraded on my financial statements.

Cons

Good software. Easy to use and practical. Helps you accomplish accounting needs in an easy way. Connecting directly to your banks helps you get things done faster.

Peter

Reviewed on 02/02/2021

30-Year Quicken User

Intuit is so exploitive, that I would actually consider them to be immoral and I have tried many times to move to a different product, but they make it very difficult.

Pros

Of the personal finance managers, Quicken is probably the best. Other packages at or below this cost lack a majority of their features and in order to get them, you would have to upgrade to a much more expensive package, so it is at a price sweet spot.

Cons

I've been using Quicken since 1992 and consider myself quite familiar with the package. The Quicken business model is and always has been exploitive and has been adding and subtracting features for years in an attempt to always have a new product to sell. Their current subscription model is no different. However, they never improve the product. There are bugs still there that have been there since the 90's. They're reports and windows do not zoom. They do not use Windows conventions, for example keystrokes. When working properly, it provides a lot of value, but it is very easy to introduce errors into the data and impossible to fix them. Their customer support is an absolute joke. It's normally a 40-minute queue to talk to an idiot and they are so propaganda driven, that they delete any negative posts or reviews from their sites and their forum. They purposely obstruct you from transferring to their competitors. I myself have had to purchase 7 versions of the program since 2000 and that's BEFORE they moved to a subscription model. Every release introduces more bugs, but they make it impossible to freeze a particular version, constantly cutting off web access and they have Upgrade Nags constantly that you can't get rid of. And they are entirely shameless about it.

Top Quicken Alternatives

Ricky
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 20/11/2023

Powerful accounting software

Pros

It is a powerful accounting tool that can provide a visual overview of different accounts.

Cons

We need to reconcile frequently; otherwise, we will make mistakes easily.

Kelli

Reviewed on 05/05/2022

Easier to learn that Quickbooks but not as many features

Works really well for keeping track of spending across multiple accounts and offers simple solutions for designating expenses.

Pros

I was able to easily import out multiple business accounts into Quicken, something I was not able to do with Quickbooks. Updating accounts is quick and easy too. I like the simple flagging option that allows me to mark a transaction for later investigation.

Cons

Will not generate a simple profit and loss statement based on accounts. I understand Quicken is meant more for personal, than business use, but it would still be a nice feature to have.

Sharon
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 13/03/2023

Business malpractice

poor

Pros

Able to keep tax records weekly for my small business.

Cons

Quicken arbitrarily changed the rules after purchasing this software. I have used this software for 8 years and purchased the program in 2016. After purchasing a new computer this week, and being unable to transfer my program to it, I was told I had to now pay for a yearly subscription of $60/year. Initially, I was given the option of purchase vs subscription and chose purchase. I now am told I have to pay for subscription yearly. If I had known this at the intial purchase time, I would have chosen another software or set up my own on excell. This is poor business practice by this company and I would never recommend them to anyone. I was never notified of any changes with my initial purchase. This would be considered malpractice by most other businesses. They should honor past agreements.

Joseph
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 13/09/2023

Can get it done

Generally, a well-maintained piece of software, though from time to time features break and sometimes it takes a while for the bugs to get addressed.

Pros

Quicken is better suited for personal use, but we have been using it for our company for over a decade and it does what we need.

Cons

Payroll options are expensive, and not all the options are available.

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Reasons for Switching to Quicken

Less expensive

Reviewed on 25/10/2019

Subscrption Only - Goodbuy Quicken

Basic checkbook maintenance is good. All the "whistles and bells" added are not worth the cost.

Pros

Cons

Used Quicken for 20 years for only Checkbook management - latest versions REQUIRES an annual payment for services not used. Per Quicken Support - while the software is usable without renewing, you cannot remove the full side banner (top to bottom screen) and banner on the top that insists you renew, renew, renew. This is so irritating I switched software. If you are looking for a simple tool to just manage your checkbook QUICKEN is NOT it.

Donald
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 13/02/2024

Solid for Small Business

Pros

Quicken is widley used, easily syncing to major banks and platforms. Big company with broad support.

Cons

Some of the syncing and getring reports can be slightly confusing.

Zoho Books
Darcy

Reviewed on 26/01/2024

Quicken Review

Pros

Used this when i was purchasing my home. they are very helpful

Cons

i dont have any cons if i am being completely honest.

Debbie

Reviewed on 31/01/2023

Quicken from a Person who is not techie

- Quicken can help businesses track their income and expenses, so they can identify areas where they can save money. - Quicken can help businesses track investments and generate reports to help them make informed decisions. - Quicken can help businesses keep track of their customer invoices and payments, so they can accurately manage their cash flow. - Quicken can help businesses manage their payroll and taxes, so they can stay compliant with the law. Benefits- Quicken can help businesses save time by automating mundane tasks. - Quicken can help businesses reduce costs by streamlining their accounting processes. - Quicken can help businesses make more informed decisions by providing detailed financial reports and analysis. - Quicken can help businesses stay organized and efficient by providing access to all of their financial information in one place.

Pros

- Quicken is a comprehensive financial software package that can help users manage their finances in one place. - Quicken allows users to track their income and expenses, create budgets, and manage investments. - It also provides tools to track investments and create financial reports. - Quicken makes it easy to track and categorize spending, so users can identify potential areas of savings.

Cons

- Quicken can be expensive, and some of its features may be too complex for beginners. - Quicken may be difficult to use for those who are not familiar with computers or accounting software. - Quicken does not integrate with other accounting software, so users must manually enter data.

Jen

Reviewed on 13/02/2017

Great for general accounting...

We have 65+ rental properties. I had waited to enter them into the rental property part until I worked out the kinks of the accounting part. I had issues with bank connectivity and then mobile sync was not working properly. After I got that fixed, I decided that in January I would start entering in my tenant's info. Here are my problems:
1. Most of our houses are section 8 which means 2 checks and NO, you can not just have 1 housing payment that you split into your houses and have those apply to your tenants. you HAVE TO MAKE A SEPARATE TENANT for EACH house labeled section 8 (or what ever) and house number or something to uniquely identify it. PAINFUL!!!!!!!
2. Lets say you have an invoice from Vendor A and they have invoiced you for 3 properties. You have to put the invoice on the tenant side (each invoice to each house) then when you go to pay Vendor A- it prints multiple checks. Not just one check or an option to pay several invoices for vendor A. THAT IS CRAZY!!! (For me it was going to print 10 checks to the same vendor. I then went to the banking side and made a check, tagging each property which then printed one check but the system did not enter the charges into the tenants side. So you need to do double entry. WHO HAS TIME FOR THAT?
I called customer service-super nice but spent SEVERAL hours trying to get it figured out. They ended up saying how terrible it was.
3. There are no useful reports.
Bottom Line:
I ended up going with a property management software. I interviewed Builidium, Appfolio, and a few others. Expensive but hopefully it will help me out in the long run. Anything is better than this.

Pros

easy to change the payee/category/tag

Cons

see above

melissa

Reviewed on 05/04/2021

RENEW SUBSCRIPTION REMINDER

WAS A VERY HAPPY USER FOR 21 YEARS.....NOT NOW!! THEY SHOULD ADVERTISE IF YOU DO NOT PURCHACE THE MEMBERSHIP THEY WILL MAKE YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH THE SOFTWARE NOT USER FRIENDLY. IF YOU ARE A BUSINESS LIKE MINE THAT YOU DO NOT INTEND TO DOWNLOAD INFORMATION FROM ONLINE....YOU MAY WANT TO CONSIDER A DIFFERENT PROGRAM BECAUSE THEY ARE TAKING UP YOUR SCREEN SPACE WITH ADVERTISEMENTS.

Pros

I HAVE BEEN A QUICKEN USER (MOSTLY 2004 VERSION)FOR OVER 21 YEARS. I FINALLY SAID I SHOULD UPDATE MY QUICKEN PROGRAM. THAT BEING SAID I UPDATED TO 2019 VERSION. THE PROGRAM IS WHAT I EXPECTED TILL THE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP RAN OUT THAT THEY GIVE YOU FOR PURCHACING THE PROGRAM.
I DO NOT NEED ANY DOWNLOADS FROM BANKS ETC. I ENTER ALL MY INFORMATION MANUALLY.
THEY SAY YOU DO NOT NEED TO PURCHACE ANY ADDITIONAL MEMBERSHIP IF YOU WANT TO ENTER MANUALLY.

Cons

THEY TAKE UP YOUR AVAILABLE SCREEN SPACE WITH A LARGE BANNER ADVERTISING TO RENEW YOUR MEMBERSHIP. SO NOW YOU CANNOT USE THE SCREEN SPACE AND SEE YOUR BALANCES AND OTHER INFORMATION EASILY. MEMBERSHIP IS $89 A YEAR. THAT IS A HEAVY COST TO PAY TO REMOVE THEIR ADVERTISEMENT FROM MY SCREEN!!!!

Thandile
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 08/04/2021

Extraordinary for following your financial status, all around incredible.

Exceptional for getting your records all together and starting to see elevated perspective where you and your money is. I could have done without the evaporated features before my last update yet i'm adequate now. It's one of my essential applications!

Pros

It's a direct mechanical assembly to use for most business structures fit for managing trades, taking everything into account, and repeat. It is the best product (in my opinion) to follow records, adventures and business pay/expenses in all cases spot and on your work region rather than having that information simply on the web. Having the option to see each record in one spot truly permits you to all the more likely control your funds and spending plan. It's absolutely the best.

Cons

What I have gotten extremely astounded with is the marking in and my intuit ID. At whatever point the systems logs me out, for no good reason, whenever I log back in, it just doesn't take me to my standard page, it makes another page and new record for me. It's terrifying and it has been occurring even more once in a while. In like manner, I do feel the spending section of the application could use some work. I genuinely cherished it as a matter of first importance, however at this point it is fairly a desolation to use and have not used it since.

Luis
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

Quicken has lost its way

Pros

Quicken allows for standard management of finances and in the deluxe version has a host of features including budget management, investement management, and more.

Cons

The problem with Quicken in today's age is that it has passed through many corporate hands and the core problems have never been fully addressed. The system is glitchy. The connections to banks and financial institutions are sometimes inaccurate. But worst of all, the platform has changed to a subscription model where previously owning the software allowed for many years of use. After an "update" in the fall of 2017, my 2016 version stopped working. Online support stated it was a problem with the update and we needed to reinstall, but when we did we could no longer download our transactions. This was a scheming and greedy way for Quicken to try to push users into the 2018 subscription model. With that kind of treatment of it's customers, I'd recommend you go elsewhere.

Lynn
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 25/09/2020

Don't give up - it's probably worth it.

I had used many different types of accounting software for small and large businesses. So when I wanted a software program for my own purposes, and to grow from our personal finances into a small side business, I expected to use Quickbooks because I was familiar. Someone recommended Quicken. I tried to set it up 3 times in a free trial period, but it seemed very difficult, so I let it slide. One slow day, I persevered and completed the set up. Thank goodness I did. Once the set up is complete, the functioning is so much smoother and easier than Quickbooks was for my purposes. I'm so glad I didn't give up. I am saving time and money by using Quicken now. Well worth the effort in the set up.

Pros

The functionality has impressed me. It's bill pay feature is better than I had anticipated, and it's layout and easy viewing is making it one of my new favorite accounting software programs - and I've had many. I didn't think I would want to stray from Quickbooks, but 3 months in and I am thinking I may not want to ever go back. Correction.... I am thinking I may not ever NEED to go back.

Cons

I was a little overwhelmed in the set up - which is why I set up my accounts in the free trial 3 times and let it sit for months. It seemed too daunting and I was scared it would be way too complex and difficult to navigate. I just didn't give it chance. Once you get past the start, it's way easier, I believe, than Quickbooks. Simpler, so it may not be for everyone, but it is for my purposes.

Tina

Reviewed on 12/06/2018

100% UNRELIABLE - prepare for lost data and hours of rework

if you are considering purchasing this software, run like the wind

Pros

I like that I can create different accounts and it's somewhat easy to do searches and run reports for my rental expenses. I was happy with the software for about the 1st month I had it.

Cons

This is hands down, the most buggy software I've ever used. I use the mobile app to input receipts and then I sync with the desktop.. only I find myself on the phone with Quicken support almost every single time I use it because it won't sync to the cloud properly. Sometimes I get errors, other times, not all the receipts transfer over and they often have to reset my cloud which deletes hours worth of work i've put in. What's the best thing EVER??? Trying to find what data was deleted and starting all over again... yeah, my worst freakin fear. This software is EXACTLY my worst fear. completly 100% unreliable. I would go to a competitor in an instant if I could find an alternative and I look all the time. Maybe Neatworks.

Ruben
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Reviewed on 24/07/2018

Another all-time favorite agonizes in the mobile era

Quicken needs to move faster to mobile and cloud if it really wants to survive.
100% integration with QuickBooks, additional security features, support for more cloud backup providers are features that should be already available but are no show.
Intuit own's Mint App is an example of how Quicken should be but, for some reason, they have decided to continue working on the same outdated software instead of relaunching.
Still, Quicken is a big respected brand in the financial software world that continues to be one of my favorites.

Pros

- A longtime runner with a big user fan base
- The very familiar interface allows old users to upgrade without a steep learning curve
- Very similar Mac and Windows version allows painless platform switch
- Supports most banks and account syncing in The US
- Does not require a monthly or annual fee

Cons

- The interface is beginning to look a bit outdated compared to new mobile apps available for iOS and Android
- No equivalent mobile version available
- Cloud syncing and backup is limited and not easy to setup (dropbox required)
- Version to version upgrades sometimes include little to no enough new features for the price (That's why some users are still using 5-8 years old versions)

Reviewed on 26/01/2021

Just works

Works and just is what I need for my small business.

Pros

I have been using quickens for a very long time, it works for my needs. I run a simple company and do not use many of the features that are provided. The one feature that I do like the most is being able to download from the bank to the program to make sure I have the correct balance. However, when you send out a check sometimes via the bank check program it may post twice when written then when cashed. Just something to keep in mind. It also works for when I need to start and complete my taxes.

Cons

When you send out a check sometimes via the bank check program it may post twice when written then when cashed.

Reviewed on 04/04/2023

Business & Rental Mgmt

Pros

It keeps up with my rental expenses as well as my business

Cons

It takes a while to figure out but customer service is helpful

• Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 08/08/2022

Not nearly as good as the Quicken of old before sold by Intuit

I have been using Quicken for decades and it was always wonderful software. Since Intuit sold out Quicken simply has far more bugs, does not work nearly as well as the prior versions. Its too late for me to switch, but if you are starting out in your own business, consider whatever alternatives out there are available before getting bogged down with this now very buggy product. Its the old cliche I guess, "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Of course this new company had to change everything up, in particular the reports function and now I find it misses transactions often enough that I don't trust the software for accuracy.

Pros

It does its job though not nearly as well as the older versions

Cons

Very, very buggy and far more difficult to use than the older version

• Industry: Management Consulting
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 14/11/2017

Quicken

Still one of the easier desktop bookkeeping software to use.
Too bad no one else can create a competitive desktop bookkeeping software for the general public.
Many competitors created only an online version which can be Useless if something happens to your PC or you don't have power or an internet connection!
Worse, there's a monthly fee for their online versions!

Pros

Relatively simple to use as the basic program is basically an electronic version of a check register.
Many financial institutions have a Quicken export function for its online banking feature making bank reconciliation a bit easier.

Cons

Don't need to use other features like investment tracker which is essentially useless for most other people
Intuit FORCES people to set up an ONLINE account to link the program to, mainly for tracking and marketing purposes which is complete BS!
Update function has moved over the years that it's not as simple to just click 'update' anymore JUST to update Quicken and NOTHING else!
Be careful about importing information as it may not import 100% of the banking information, similar to QB.
Intuit keeps marketing you to join its other financial services!

Bill
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 23/08/2018

There is no better Financial Manager

I've been using Quicken for over 20 years and have a file with that much information. Because Quicken offers various ways to categorize data, I'm able to get very accurate information on my spending. The ability to interact with online banking is very good. While it has some modernizing to do, Quicken is hands down the best financial manager out there.

Pros

The company really cares about users. It is as detailed as you want to be. Can manage data in various ways for you to know exactly how you're spending your money. You can store PDF bills and documents in your accounts.

Cons

Doesn't work well with touch. It's coming along but not there yet. There are a couple undocumented "features" which can really screw up your data.

Claudia

Reviewed on 17/02/2018

Great for tracking your financial status, but needs improvement

Pros

I've been using Quicken since 1988, so I'm very familiar with it. You can easily track checking, credit card and savings accounts. Quicken partners with thousands of banks and financial institutions so you can download your activity rather than having to manually enter it. It makes balancing your checkbook a breeze! It is rare for it to not reconcile correctly, and when that happens, it is invariably a mistake I made. You can also use it to track investments, create budgets, run reports. I use the Home and Business version which lets me track business activity separately from personal activity. I keep track of my rental property, which makes it very easy to file a schedule C come tax time. It's been an invaluable tool for me over the years and has helped me meet my financial goals.

Cons

In the last several years, the quality of the software was an issue. Lots of annoying bugs and crashes. Fortunately the company is addressing these issues.

Linda
  • Industry: Government Administration

Reviewed on 12/09/2017

I have used this program since it came out. Now, today, it is a mess. My software is locked...

Pros

Before now, I would say I like everything about it. I could always count on it to perform as it should and it was updated in a responsible way. this time, I checked to allow upgrade and everything went haywire. And, right at a time when I counted on it to perform as it always had.

Cons

It is no longer reliable. Was I in shock when I opened Quicken to find out that it had been down-graded in stead of upgraded. I had to work 15 hours to get figures re-entered for a report due this evening. As I said it is no longer reliable. I called a contact listed on computer for Quicken repair. Needless to say, I did not have it done!