About AIM

AIM is a secure end-to-end point of sale (POS) business solution that can be used in any retail environment. This retail management solution features customizable menus and screens, inventory management, complete POS activity and...

4.2
3.6
4.2

Browse AIM Reviews

Holly

Reviewed on 17/11/2020

Pleased!

Overall we are very happy with AIM for our business. The tech support is awesome! They are always ready to help and super friendly. I love that they can remote in and show us what to do.

Pros

We have been using the contract module side of AIM for our instrument rental contracts to keep track of monthly payments since the beginning of our business in 2004. We pulled away for a brief stint to try another company and it was a disaster. The instrument rental contracts are the bread and butter of our business. If it fails, we fail. If the customer doesn't feel like they can trust us with their personal info because the system fails, we fail. It's a reflection on us. We came back to AIM in 2019 and went all in with the full point of sale system and we've never looked back. We highly recommend AIM.

Cons

We do wish that there weren't so many steps to follow. Seems like there is a huge learning curve to this program. Once you live it and breath it like it do it's one thing. But my employees tend to make mistakes often because they miss a step.
And for example: having to get out of one frame and into another one for the same customer with a different question about their account is sometimes frustrating.
Also. I really wish that an email went out immediately to my rental contract customers on autopay when their card is declined. The ability is there, as they receive an email immediately when the payment goes through, but not when it declines. This would help our collection dept out tremendously if this option was implemented.

Rob

Great POS/Gun book/Range Software

Been a fantastic system....we recommend it whenever we are asked what we use by other gun stores.

Pros

I don't have to have multiple systems running to achieve everything we need to do...AIM does it all

Cons

learning curve....set up and learning the system takes time

Bill

Reviewed on 26/01/2017

Great feature set and support. Very poorly implemented.

The product has features that no other has, especially for the musical instrument rental business. However, it is showing its age. The worst thing is that it wasn't written well even to standards that we had 30 years ago. (I started in the IT business in 1986.)

I would recommend it, with a great many warnings, to a musical instrument rental or similar company, but absolutely not to anyone else.

Pros

The feature set for the rent-to-own business is good. So far as we have been able to discover, there is no other product at any price that supports our business. (If there was, I would be on it like a duck on a June bug.)

The support staff is excellent!

Cons

I would have fired an experienced programmer or seriously chewed out a beginner 30 years ago if they designed a user interface that was so poorly implemented. You never know from screen to screen what you have to do to do a "find." Sometimes you have to hit Tab for the program to work, sometimes you have to hit Enter. The mere fact that in a good many places the programmers apparently elected to use the tab key or enter key events rather than the OnExit event is inexcusable. (Click the OK or Save button without first tabbing out of a field and there is a great chance that the changes to the field you were last in were not saved.) Things as simple as standard naming conventions for naming reports are just an example that someone either didn't understand design or didn't care. (The reports aren't in report name order because some inept person decided to put "Print" or "List" in front of the report name, thereby making the lists sort out without rhyme or reason. Having a table of variables to STORE system options is fine. It's even okay for a first release. However, how a system that has been on the market this long without having a user interface on said table indicates a huge lack of caring. The user interface flaws cannot be excused by the fact that the programs are old. The design flaws would not have been acceptable in a DOS or even a CP/M program.

The back end modules are simply sad. The fact that they decided to write the back end all over again in the new system that they plan to release someday indicates a huge lack of judgment. Why the devil would one reinvent the wheel, especially after doing such a poor job the first time around, when one could interface to any of several well-written, mature, user-friendly and well-supported G/L, A/P, A/R, etc. systems and focus on the specialized modules that make me use AIMsi to start with? (QuickBooks immediately comes to mind.) Doing so would save well into six figures of development cost, give one a solid base on which to build, and even give one a huge marketing opportunity by being an enhancement to a widely-used system rather than being a home-rolled thing. It would also give me some hope that the new release would be available in my lifetime. They are simply burning man-years of programming effort and stretching lead times unreasonably.

As bad as the G/L module is, their "Purchase Order" module simply boggles the mind. They make a sad effort to somehow combine P/O and Customer Order Processing while making both the COP features and the interface to A/P damned near unusable. One need only looks at the database design to see that whoever wrote the COP programs had never actually worked on one before. No Order Header and Order Line Item tables? Really? They sort of sludge everything together in something that they dreamed up from scratch. Even the terminology used for field names and labels is non-standard. "Picked" has a very well understood meaning in the COP industry. They have a whole new definition.

I could go on forever...

Top AIM Alternatives

Ron

Reviewed on 27/09/2022

Has made us MUCH more efficient

Pros

For a small retail store this is excellent! Helps manage inventory, as well as daily and weekly check out.

Cons

There was quite a learning curve for us. We had no POS before AIM.

Quickbooks Point of Sale

Reasons for Switching to AIM

AIM was a better choice for a Retail/Service business
Emily

Reviewed on 12/09/2022

Emily's Review of AIM

I have worked with many people at Tri-Tech we have been using there POS for about 4 years. I have had to call the customer help line many times in those 4 years. And no matter how frustrated I am they do an excellent job helping me solve the issues I run into.

Pros

I enjoy the easy of being able to create things and customize the POS easily. The system does all I need plus more that I probably don't know about. Seems like I learn new things about it all the time. My most recent call was with [SENSITIVE CONTENT]. He was very knowledgeable and the questions he didn't know the answers to he was very speedy at finding them. I enjoyed my early morning conversation with [SENSITIVE CONTENT] while he helped me work on multiple issues I was having. We got them all fixed in under an hour (I was expecting it to be a multiple hour kind of call). I look forward to working with [SENSITIVE CONTENT] again.

Cons

The worst part about this POS was the set up. Although I believe that is mostly the fact that we were transferring information from a system that was very VERY old and outdated system. But the service team was there for me whenever I had questions; and boy I had a lot of them. Those first few months most of the service people knew me by first name.

Benjamin

Reviewed on 09/09/2022

Many Tools/

Good overall. Many problems arise on a weekly basis but phone support are always their to help.

Pros

I do like that there are many features available. Scheduling, rentals, repair, short term rentals, etc. They are always trying to update and get better. I believe the repair and rental contracts are the strongest features of the software. A lot of the active e features are nice as well.

Cons

With what I like about the software is also where some of its problems arise. There are some parts of the software that lack features within its functions. Short term rentals is confusing and not completely ready in my opinion, not many ways for loaners to be customized ( no options for automated late fees or charges), Package deals are not easy to update. There are tons of features but some have issues.

Katie

Reviewed on 29/09/2022

Great product!

Overall the experience has been great! Our business has been using this software for almost 20 years and any time we have a question or an issue, customer and technical service is always easy to access and help with the problem.

Pros

Easy to navigate through the menu options. Simple layout among the different screens.

Cons

We have not upgraded our software to version 12 yet. That being said, the version we are currently using is not online integrated as far as the lesson module goes. If that has changed with the newer version, then I have no cons

Amanda

Reviewed on 28/09/2022

Easy to use for the non-techy.

If really good. The customer service cannot be beat!

Pros

It is the app that we use for every aspect of our business. From POS to inventory control we have it all in one place. The straight forward menus and feature with in each module is user friendly.

Cons

I do feel that the system is a little over complicated with so many pop up windows. Also, tranactions seem to have too many steps for simple procedures.

Teddy
  • Industry: Wholesale

Experience with Aim

Overall experience with Aim has bee satisfactory.

Pros

User friendly, tech support is good and a fair price.

Cons

Integration with previous inventory got messed up and we had to do much more work to get corrected.

Terrica
  • Industry: Libraries

Reviewed on 13/09/2022

TFV Review

Our experience has been good. When we have an issue or a problem, tech support is helpful in solving the issues we have.

Pros

We use the software for consignment of books. It is fairly easy to use to consign and sell.

Cons

It would be helpful to create an inventory that our customers could use to look up our inventory.

Reviewed on 12/09/2014

Outstanding product and tech support!

Pros

The product I use has made tracking over 12,000 consigned items a manageable endeavor. In addition to the impeccable tech support I receive, the ability to track each and every product in the store, from intake to settlement, has made this business venture a pleasure. I probably only use 50% of the features, but those I use make my job easy. I can readily identify all pertinent information regarding an item, track notes on the consignor's item and sale preferences, and easily upload all information at the click of a button to my website. A few of the key features I use most are the abilities to associate similar items to one another, to produce reports for each consignor on items sold and still open, to create accounting reports on daily activity, to retrieve a customer's information for mail merge at settlement time, to track my inventory on both quantity and revenue generated to determine my seasonality and busiest days, and to un-publish items from the website once they reach quantity zero (can you imagine doing this manually?).

I also enjoy the easy of use in the Aesys admin system. I've been able to manage and tailor the website to suit my needs with little help from the web support team (another great facet of the product). The ability for real-time lookup of shipping costs and credit card processing made the integration of these items a breeze.

Cons

There are times the system will crash if I have the SA Inventory, customer info, receive batch consignment, and the sales invoice windows open at the same time. There are times I need to have these available in the dynamic environment I've created, and the "Swordfish" errors can be a hassle. Also, there are some canned reports in the catalog that don't seem to work, and creating reports with the wizard is not the easiest or the most intuitive.

Steve

Reviewed on 28/09/2021

AIM Software

Overall experience has been amazing. Tech support is there to help us out when there are questions. The training videos are full of good advice and very helpful hints to make the software work better for us.

Pros

For an all around software, for several different industries, this software is well thought out. We have used this software for many years, and have gone through several of the upgrades. When there has been an issue, tech support is right there to help resolve problems or to escalate to developers to create what we need. The training tutorials are a huge help. The software is very customizable for our needs.

Cons

We have not really run across any negatives. Tri Tech is always improving the software. The one downside is not having tech support there on weekends if we have an issue. We have only run into one or two times we have really needed them on a weekend in all the years we have used the software.

Katherine

Reviewed on 14/09/2022

Small Business Review

While the program itself has given us some trouble, the customer support is excellent!! [SENSITIVE CONTENT] have been especially wonderful and patient with us and spent an abundance of time on our issues to help us get what we need and understand how to do what we need to do. Amazing customer service.

Pros

The program has tons of features, functions, and reports which is a definite positive for businesses that need to keep track and monitor various aspects of the business. For a larger company that has a wide scale business this program would be a very useful asset.

Cons

We are a very small business and this program for us was- and is- very overwhelming to learn and operate. Part of that is our fault for not having the time to watch the tutorials and explore the program to its fullest since we only have a few employees and are only open three days a week. For us, a simpler program would probably have been a better choice but for larger companies this would work great.

Sharon
2.5

Reviewed on 06/09/2014

Best product available to Music retailers at this time.

Pros

That it captures customer info; examines things like staff sales, top customers, sales totals so I know how my business is growing.

Cons

the fees that you charge for anything extra that could support us.The fact that any type of webinar, workshop or video costs so much even though we pay monthly fees for support. I don't like the fact that even if we pay a monthly support fee we're screwed on the weekend if the system errors and you can't use it. paying an extra fee for the weekend seems like a another gouge. Not enough free tips and support about general usage, considering you only get a month of "free" support to learn how to use the system. If there are other places to get info then you need to get that info out to your customers.
The email module having no support in the way of setting it up - you're on your own having to know outgoing info and whatever else. I had it working once and now it doesn't and when I ask support that admittedly say that's not there area to help with and you have to call your internet provider. Plus when it does work, depending on your provider you can end up getting blocked from using your email for 24 hours.
That I can't look up a serial number to see it's repair history.
That you didn't ask your customers how they felt about your product and get their input -thanks for listening to my request in the email I sent a few weeks ago.

Response from N/A

Our Support Manager spoke with Sharon and showed her how to look up the repair history on any serial number, and also stepped her through correcting her port number for emailing out of AIMsi.

Replied 16/09/2014
Roger

Reviewed on 12/07/2016

After ten years, I work with the system reluctantly.

Pros

You can open the system multiple times on the same computer. In the middle of entering a sale, cust wants to try on a helmet or gloves, or just gets distracted; you can switch to another copy of the system until the customer is ready to continue. When using the computer to work on customer information or inventory, you can switch to another copy to verify or copy something. For instance, combining two customers into one, can copy email and then compare or enter.

Cons

The system is absolutely opaque, not intuitive, and byzantine. To deal with a product, it is impossible to find S/A Maintenance unless you know how to find it. Way too many arbitrary clicks and decisions to find anything in the system. Especially annoying is the inability to go back one level, if you make a mistake in these decisions; you have to go back to the beginning, and you might not even remember which decision was the wrong one.

The lack of a training program to teach new employees how to use the system is something I have been thinking about for ten years.

The rental module does not lend itself to quick service, renting 100 bikes on a busy day.

If you suspend a sale, you can't open it and suspend it again; therefore you can neither edit, nor even reprint it.

You can't analyze sales data from a sector of the customer data base. For instance, you can't separate the customers from A to M and compare them to the customers from N to Z. This would be useful to analyze the effectiveness of advertising. We could contact all the customers from A to M, but not N to Z, and then compare the results.

There's more, but that will do for now.

Nancy

Reviewed on 19/01/2017

Great Functionality at a Great Price

Customers for 11+ years. We would not buy another POS product. We have premium support and receive excellent assistance

Pros

It has the capacity to handle all day to day activities. When used as it is
designed, the software works flawlessly. The tech support is great.

Cons

When corrections are needed, some are not easily done without assistance.
There are integrated correction options for common errors, making those
much less troublesome. Note that terms and button functions are not universal across all modules.

Del

Reviewed on 19/01/2017

Aimsi software for music stores

We've been using Aimsi software in our music store for about 10 years now, and we couldn't live without it. It has streamlined our accounts receivable immensley, and made many other facets of our business much easier.

Pros

Cons

The hsitory search part of the service module has some limitations

Justin
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Reviewed on 07/09/2022

Great Software

Aim has been very helpful with helping manage my inventory better than I ever could with other simple solutions. I'm very happy that i decided to use Aim for my Store.

Pros

The software is great with all the different features that it has and offers. I particulary like the reports function that allows me to generate my inventory, sold items, and sales tax reports.

Cons

The system was very easy to setup and intigrate with. There's a lot of functions that the software offers. You certainly need to take a lot of time during the setup to learn about the functions.

Dan

Reviewed on 22/09/2022

Baums Music

I have been an AIM user since 2003 and overall I have been extremely pleased. I have been working with [SENSITIVE CONTENT] and he has been extremely helpful in my last issues.

Pros

From POS to backroom accounting and inventory management the software integrates seamlessly. Also support is crucial and they have that covered well.

Cons

Seems to need a lot of updates to fix issues.

Kyle
  • Industry: Furniture

Reviewed on 06/09/2022

Review of AIM

They have been a very reliable partner is running our business.

Pros

The easy of use when in front of a customer. Helps speed up the process allowing customers save time.

Cons

Once in awhile I have some issues creating reports. Usually it is just my lack of computer skills causing the problems.

Mathew

Reviewed on 12/07/2016

Amazing, flexible software that can do anything

We have been working with TriTech and using AIMsi for years. They are a great company that packs so much into their software. It's flexible and can do anything!

Pros

the flexibility that it has to do so many functions

Cons

waiting for an update as the interface is a bit dated

Stacie

Reviewed on 19/07/2017

Great Software Package that does it all!

Pros

It's so flexible. It can do so many things. It handles every aspect of our Music Business, links to our website and is reasonably priced.

Cons

The interface is showing it's age and is cumbersome at times. It needs an upgrade and better flow in many areas.

Miles

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

Very updated interface

Expensive!!!!! Time to "update" to the newest version? Expensive!!!!

Pros

Solid database. Features specifically designed for our industry like lesson billing, rent to own tracking

Cons

Crashes daily because it isn't fully compatible with newer versions of windows. Not easy to use at multiple locations. Requires arcane network setup like environment variables because you have to pay for a total number of "terminals." Very clumsy user interface because you have to start from the master look up process for every piece of data you need to enter. Autopays are only semi automatic because they only run when you tell them to and once again you have to start from the master look up screen multiple times to: generate an auto pay list with manually input dates, transmit the autopays, post the autopays, cancel the denied auto pays, print out a denied list. Lesson billing is usable yet clumsy, lesson scheduling is a joke.

• Industry: Entertainment

Retail management

Good choice to manage the shop

Pros

Ease of use most of the time (with support)

Cons

Inability to configure reports for customers

Reviewed on 20/01/2017

AimSi Tri-Tech review

I've been using this software since it was in DOS! The improvements over the years have helped our business run more efficiently and given us the ability to provide better service for our customers.

Pros

Broad range of functions

Cons

Price