About Restaurant Manager by Action Systems

Restaurant Manager is a cloud-based point of sale (POS) system for restaurants offering table service, quick service restaurants, delivery, bars and clubs of all sizes. Features include a touchscreen interface, automatic server...

All Restaurant Manager by Action Systems Reviews Apply filters

Browse Restaurant Manager by Action Systems Reviews

Krista A.

Reviewed on 19/02/2017

Restaurant Manager POS

Great feature rich POS system at an affordable price.

Pros

Easy to use, reliable and updates are included with their inexpensive software maintenance plan. We recently upgraded to RMPOS version 20. It's redesigned, bug free and works great. It also has paid at the table and supports chip card processing. Way ahead of other systems that friends of mine use at their restaurants.

Cons

I was forced to upgrade my server PC from Windows XP to Win 7. I guess that's not a huge deal, but worth noting.

Dave S.
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 16/01/2020

Out with the old, in with the New

Overall I will say that for the first 19 years I liked it, didn't love it, but it got the job done. After all the new technology that's coming out with simple cloud based apps, I really don't think RM will be around for much longer.

Pros

This was the original POS software that blew everybody's minds. I used this product for over 20 years, at over a dozen different locations. I grew up in the business on it, it takes me back when I see a location using it.

Cons

As I said, I used this for over 20 years, the problem is that the software never changed or evolved in that 20 years. The lease structure from the backing company is a giant rip off, you had to spend 20 - 30 grand just for a capable system. Software crashes all the time, you have to phone in tech support which they're good, but most of the time they'd have to call you back. In the restaurant business you can't wait. Lastly, it wasn't cloud based, so when the power went out, you were screwed. You were at the mercy of the dinosaur that is RM.

Alan S.

Reviewed on 16/06/2017

Buyer beware

I Just signed up with another POS company. and wasted money on Restaurant Manager

Pros

The outsource Tech support in Canada is great.

Cons

I've had restaurant Manager for a number of years. It's literally the worst POS. It's slow . not intuitive. And hardware support is non existent

Top Restaurant Manager by Action Systems Alternatives

Alissa M.

Reviewed on 23/07/2014

We have used this POS for several years and have currently switched.

Pros

There is nothing I like about this software.

Cons

This POS system is extremely outdated, difficult to use, and not user-friendly. The reports are a joke and look like they are from the 80s. The customer service is horrible, and they charge you for everything. There are much better and more up-to-date software products out there that offer free updates.

Sam F.

Comfort Foods Inc

Pros

I like the ease of use and good customer service. Whenever I have a problem, it is fixed easily.

Cons

Sometimes it has glitches, such as frozen screen or buttons sticking.

Carole A.

Reviewed on 06/01/2015

Rm pos review questions

Pros

There is an ease of use with this that I have not seen before. Not overly complicated.

Cons

The price point of this could be just a little better.

John R.

Reviewed on 07/09/2018

Restaurant Manager need to get in to the 21 century ....

Very disappointing in Restaurant Manger and Shift 4 . They want to act like a big company but have no resources or expertise to handle a major problem. They have no relationship building techniques with customers. They will let you crash and burn. They only care about getting there monthly fees!

Pros

The software is great for pizza ordering , you can split the pizza in half very easily and it is very easy for the prep printer to send out to kitchen.

Cons

The software is out dated , the Online ordering module is very out dated. Restaurant manager/Shift 4 is terrible to partner with because they hold you ransom when it comes to credit card processing. Restaurant manager now has there own Credit card processing ( Shift 4) and if you do not use there shift 4 processing they will destroy your business with fees. Shift 4 is in a bad turmoil at the present time because they have a major problem in processing on line payments. The most important factor is that Restaurant manger and Shift 4 has no explanation for the error and the customer service is terrible. They have no answers for the issue and have offered nothing to all there customers for there losses. Stay away !!!

Sally T.

Reviewed on 09/10/2018

restaurant manager

Pros

it is simple and very straightforward for anyone new starting out with using this software

Cons

there are too many faults. the repeat function is glitchy and switching between screens gives us problems from time to time

Lawrence D.

Reviewed on 28/02/2018

TOTAL LACK OF SERVICE & SUPPORT IN SOUTHERN AFRICA REGION

I bought may programme in early December for my operation in Mozambique, from the Mozambique Agent - Now nearly 3 months later told by their South African "partner" that I must come collect license key in South Africa. During the whole of the December / New Year Peak holiday period, dependended on temporary license keys - most of the time which they forgot, or never sent.

Pros

Relatively Simple to use. A reasonably good product whose full potential has been hampered thru poor & unprofessional service of local agents (South Africa & Mozambique)

Cons

Expensive. Prone to Glitches & Malfunctions. Total lack of Professionalism & Support in Souhern Africa region

Lace K.

General Manager

Pros

With a company of our size, this product allows for easy training with multiple users and easy access.

Cons

With all of the positives to this product, and with allowing multiple users, we have found that as the more data is stored and is more specific, the process slows down.

Duane O.

Reviewed on 16/06/2014

#1 POS for sales and service

I couldn't be more happy with my Restaurant Manager POS system. Functionality is tremendous - it even handles my online ordering without a fax or email! Reporting is great. The iPhone app allows me to see pertinent information right on my phone. I even get my reports emailed to me each morning!

Hesham E.

Reviewed on 08/02/2018

It was great experience

Pros

This software is very easy to install and setup , because it guides you in all steps . also user interface is attractive and easy to use .

Cons

The backoffice module needs more improvement and less complications. If it became able to connect to any general account software this will be great because most of the companies need to join pos to their own account software.

Chris B.
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Reviewed on 18/04/2017

The BEST POS System that money can buy

I was introduced to RM when my tech company was contracted by a local RM dealer for tech support, and we fell in love with the software. Now we not only support it, but we recommend it to all of the local bard, and restaurants in our area.

Brandyn K.

Reviewed on 02/04/2020

powerful backend but clunky otherwise

frustrating. constant downtime. lack of support. too expensive for what you get

Pros

reporting system was quite good but failed to compensate for other shortcomings. ui is fine but dependence on outdated hardware is a boon

Cons

dependency on server connection to maintain pos uptime. server provided is generally poor quality and would crash constantly. reliance on usb security key which fails often

Saddam I.

Reviewed on 03/09/2018

im happy to use this program

Pros

Security, Reports, RM monitor, and RM alert is very good

Cons

don't have call center application and also central inventory program

Alan A.
1.5

Restaurant Manager POS

Pros

It's fairly reliable, handles basic functions (screen ordering, receipt and kitchen printing and end of day reports without graphs).

Cons

It's out of date. Updates are costly, and customer service is lacking.

Chris K.
1.5

Reviewed on 16/08/2014

Restaurant Manager should be avoided

Pros

It's fairly reliable, handles basic functions (screen ordering, receipt and kitchen printing, and end of day reports without graphs) okay.

Cons

It's out of date. Updates are costly, and customer service is lacking.

Jamie G.

Reviewed on 27/06/2017

Restaurant Manager is solid for a Bar/Restaurant Environment

If you decide on RM, they have a network of local installers/support. It's best to find a good one to help support the system for you. We have a great one. There are parts you can maintain on your own. In my review of other options (which I do every 2-3 years to check the market) the cloud based solutions lack many of the features we rely so much upon. RM is not perfect, but no system is, it is a solid choice for bars and restaurants at a reasonable cost.

Pros

Detailed reporting module, Swipe customer credit card and link to tab/table feature, keeps up with volume on busy nights, easy to change menu items/prices, hardwired via ethernet since based on window OS backbone and installed locally on an in house PC or server. No ongoing monthly costs like the subscription models of other cloud options like Lavu, Lightspeed, Touchbistro, and even Square to some degree now. Quick learning curve for team to use the POS. Hardware is typically at the same or cheaper that then cloud based tablet starter kits.

Cons

Not cloud based (can be a pro or con) depending on reliability of connection, tablet use is not practical due to the heavy demand of the software, the reports are old school out of the 80s but you can upload the data to any BI tool you might like. New features require an upgrade to the latest version and an added cost. (Typically cheaper when you do the math than a subscription model)

Kane L.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 24/06/2020

Customer service nightmare

very disappointed in the effort to fix problems.

Pros

it has everything you would need for a growing business. But good luck implementing it with no help from tech support ­čśë

Cons

There is a big disconnect in communication between RM customer support, your customer service rep (tech support) and your business. Its IMPOSSIBLE to troubleshoot individual needs for small businesses. Don't bother trying!!!

Toast POS

Reasons for Switching to Restaurant Manager by Action Systems

local reseller.

Reviewed on 25/01/2019

Restaurant Manager

Pros

I love the customer service and support. Our local rep is always available and great to work with. The system is also very easy to learn and a new user can quickly become a strong user within a few days.

Cons

It hasn't been an issue yet; however, with our support being provided by one person, if he is ever unavailable, we my be in trouble.

Mohamed M.

Reviewed on 29/08/2018

RM Review

my overall experience is good and iam looking forward for more from RM

Pros

reporting one of the most amazing features on the program with ton of reports and ton filter you can almost get any report you want

Cons

loyalty program is very weak you need to improve way more than the current one its very limited

Hiro T.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 07/06/2021

Plenty features, but not cheap

It should be stable system for large restaurant. But the management slightly confusing. Need to work more on the API integration that we need lately.

Pros

A lot of features, a lot of reports. Good for all kind of restaurant type: full service to fast service.

Cons

Not so many people using, so the servers have to learn little bit. There are plenty software in the server, not all combine together. It is slightly confusing and need to learn.

Mikey B.

Reviewed on 15/02/2013

I got two stations a year ago. I don't know much about computers, but bought my dads restaurant and know this would be better than hand written orders. I bought them from people in Raleigh, NC. They did their job and helped me when I knew nothing, but it didn't they come with a manual.

I got them to run reports, inventory, etc. I need to know if I need to buy something else or if it's already in my pos. A year later, I'm still learning. Any help to questions will be a big help. I need to know if I need to buy more to access the main stuff in the pos or just download something.

Paco G.
2.5
2.5

Reviewed on 03/01/2016

Way too many issues

Pros

The only thing I like about this is the handhelds and the efficiency they have created, when they work.

Cons

We have never ending bugs. Handhelds freeze up. My sessions don't closer properly. We have added wifi extenders, a gaming pc to run it, fans for cooling. Have had 3 handhelds sent back. Crash after crash. Manager functions are very complicated compared to software like Aloha. Selling gift cards, complicated. I am very unhappy.

Christina C.

Reviewed on 24/12/2014

Restaurant Manager POS Review

Pros

It has a good interface and is user-friendly. Even if I have any issues, it is easily resolved without any difficulties.

Cons

If I want to customize different aspects about the interface, I'm not able to.