About Blackbaud Raiser's Edge NXT

Raiser’s Edge NXT is an integrated, cloud-based fundraising and relationship management solution for nonprofits. Raiser's Edge NXT provide tools to streamline various activities of a nonprofit organization and provide a single...

3.7
4.1
3.9
4.1

Browse Blackbaud Raiser's Edge NXT Reviews

Jeffery

Reviewed on 17/12/2019

Powerful CRM that will meet your needs!

Pros

This is a powerful CRM service/software. We've expanded our utilization over the years, but I still know there are areas we don't even scratch the surface of when it comes to compiling information on donors and potential donors. A few years ago we made the leap to RE:NXT, placing our data in the cloud -- it's wonderful to be able to access data from wherever I am, whether I need a phone number or address, or some data on donation history.

I've been a Raiser's Edge user for 20+ years, and I have to say I can't imagine keeping track of our donors without it. From historical data to personal notations, you can keep so much info here (even uploading photos, documents, etc.).

With RE:NXT we have integration between the CRM and our web site donation forms. They're easy to build and drop in to the coding for the site.

Cons

We've felt that there are a couple of things in the EVENTS module that we wish worked better for us/our organization, but that's a small hiccup when it comes to the functionality and quality of BB fundraising.

Reviewed on 21/04/2022

Blackbaud Raiser's Edge NXT

Overall my experience has been well and the system seems to be very user-friendly.

Pros

What I like most about the software is the ease of use.

Cons

What I like least about the software is that it can be slow to update when I enter changes or gifts.

Teresa
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Reviewed on 17/11/2022

Good, but not great

Pros

Raiser's Edge NXT is fairly intuitive and does offer some good options for reporting.

Cons

Raiser's Edge NXT has a lot to offer but it is expensive and there are a few features that are not available, such as reports that can't be pulled. I think that they should offer more one-one-one or group training as a part of a contract, as their other training is quite expensive.

Top Blackbaud Raiser's Edge NXT Alternatives

Salesforce Sales Cloud

Coupa Business Spend Management

Aidan
  • Industry: Performing Arts

Reviewed on 17/10/2022

A Joke

It's an entirely negative product and only useful if you still do things the 1980s way, manually and with lots of effort. Do not use if you want a smooth and functional CRM. The fact they charge money for this is disgusting. For every thing I can think to do to improve data operations for my team, RE tells me I can't do it, and nor can I do any of the workarounds I think of. It just hates you and it wants you to fail. DO NOT PAY FOR THIS.

Pros

NXT was pretty? There's a 40 char min on this question but there's not that much good to say about it.

Cons

Everything. From data reporting, to querying, to integration with other software, to donation management.

Dory

Reviewed on 09/09/2022

Leader in the Field

I worked with RE for almost 25 years and each time they implemented improvements and they were just that. They also listen to customer feedback when implementing updates.

Pros

It’s a robust software with many add-ons.

Cons

Very expensive, especially for smaller organizations.

Maureen
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Reviewed on 08/03/2022

Blackbaud

NXT is used daily and it is functional but not always precisely what is needed. It has evolved over the years and it seems to be heading in a better direction.

Pros

Our the years we have used Raiser's Edge it has continued to grow and evolve with broader and impactful criteria that aid in fundraising. NXT is user- friendly much more so than the original Raiser's Edge.

Cons

It would be helpful if there were video tutorials. The knowledgebase is not user-friendly. It is unable to assist in finding quick and clear answers in creating a list specific to our constituency. Again, available video tutorials would be a great addition to the product.

katrina

Reviewed on 30/09/2022

NXT is good for larger nonprofits

NXT is definitely more user friendly and easier to navigate than older versions of Raiser's Edge.

Pros

There is a lot of capability with NXT and its visually more digestible than classic Raiser's Edge.

Cons

Building reports is still challenging in NXT--better than classic Raiser's Edge.

Whit
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 29/06/2022

It's kind of the gold standard for Donation Tracking for Nonprofits...should it be though?

We use RE to manage donors and alumni for the college. We call upon the data to understand giving history and keep records of asks and changes in their business or personal lives that may affect our relationship with them or their giving capacity.

Pros

The history of the donors is what is most useful. Raiser's Edge has been around for so long and we have such a long history with it that the historical data is priceless.

Cons

Because we have such a long history and so much historical data with RE, we can not really shop around for new products without the risk of losing data or enduring a massive implementation process.

Julia Babbitt

Reviewed on 07/10/2022

Blackbaud has front-end user-friendly capabilities with back-end technical detail

Pros

Integrates with grant management through opportunities

Cons

Wish there was a more direct way to track grants. I find the back-end more confusing to use.

Elizabeth
  • Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 15/11/2022

Helpful tool for advancement/development

Pros

Easy to track donors, make notes and print acknowledgements

Cons

Not useful day to day for me, in my role, but certainly valuable for our Institutional Advancment office

Alex
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Reviewed on 03/06/2019

Becoming a benefit to our organization

While we have had some hiccups converting our staff over, I think the product itself is wonderful and introduces features that we've wanted in the main database since we converted to Blackbaud products. For most, the features that it currently offers will suffice, and if they don't many of the missing features can be found in the main system. The development of new features has been going surprisingly quickly, and we expect that most of the problems we have had so far will go away as the product is updated.

Pros

The interface is a lot friendlier to the average user than the database view, making it easier to use for our employees that don't like working in databases as much. It also introduced certain features that were missing from the main database, which added some new tools to manage data and keep our information clean. The analytics is my favorite addition; while some dashboard tools exist in Raiser's Edge, in NXT they are fully thought out and allow for excellent reporting and visual depictions of our progress.

Cons

It's still an in-development product, so while this could be great for some organizations it's not at the point where it's great for all organizations. Despite the fact that it's user-friendly and many of our staff members prefer to use it, the lack of certain features from the main database make it hard for them to convert completely, and they feel that switching between the two views of the same system is a hassle. While it's understandable that the extra add-ons would take a back seat to the development of the main features, with our membership module missing it does make it hard for our organization to shift most of our staff over to it from the main database view. There are also some things that don't synchronize properly between the two systems yet, which sometimes makes database maintenance feel like we're checking in two different databases for information.

Tracey
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Reviewed on 25/04/2018

A Game Changer for Prospect Managers

I think the RE NXT interface is incredibly intuitive. It helps new team members get on the ground faster with learning how to search records and find the information that they need. That said, a strong background in the database view is helpful to any member of your team, whether they are on the road or not. I would strongly suggest having teams trained formally on both systems.

Pros

What I love about RE NXT is that it helps to visualize graphs, such as donor patterns and key financial data, automatically. You no longer have to have endless queries and exports and dashboards to access the data you want the most. This helps facilitate staff meeting discussions, and also keeps all team members informed on the fly. Secondly, the prospect profiles for managers. Gone are the days of exporting travel profiles in plain text. Now a PM can login from the road to see all the details they need in a useful manner -- and what's even better? They can change how the data is displayed so that it is personalized to them. It is clean, well constructed, and yet also flexible enough to be able to dig deeper with a couple of clicks. And if they need to find a new person to visit in their area, the map tools are perfect. Highly recommended for offices with lots of traveling teammates.

Cons

As with both versions of RE, you only get out what you put into it. You need to make sure you have the right policies and procedures in place, for example, to make sure that certain fields in actions are required. You'll also need to work with your team to make sure they understand the updated language from the database view to the NXT view. For example, proposals and opportunities are the same thing. This is a bit of a challenge in offices where the NXT vs. database team may not interact that much and will be speaking slightly different languages about this software. It is not a deal-breaker, just a trainable moment.

Mary
  • Industry: Fine Art

Reviewed on 11/07/2017

Powerful Database

My recommendation is to get formal training if you are going to use the database and give each new staff member the opportunity to be trained by a Raiser's Edge specialist. The database is absolutely worth the time and money if you also invest in your staff's knowledge of it. If two people are doing the same task in even a slightly different way, you can end up with holes in your data. However, if you do get good training, you'll find this database to be well worth it and will assist your fundraising strategies quite well.

Pros

The Raiser's Edge is a very powerful database that can provide great insight into your organization's fundraising. It has the capability to track and report on anything you would ever need to look at for fundraising. The template reports are customizable, which is very helpful. My favorite feature is the query and export combo - I can pull out any piece of information I need to analyze and Raiser's Edge does a good job of getting rid of duplicate information for me. The dashboard feature is also good - you can create multiple dashboards to compare fiscal years, appeals, funds, recent gifts list, summaries, etc. You can also share your dashboard with other users so that everyone can be looking at the same thing.

Cons

Building custom reports from scratch (not using a template) can be challenging to create through Crystal Reports. However, you can usually find a template that you can customize to create a similar report, if not the exact report you want to write.

Duplicate records can also be challenging in Raiser's Edge. When Constituents are uploaded to the database from a list or entered manually, Raiser's Edge will not identify duplicates if the name or address is not an exact match. This can be frustrating - for example, it won't recognize a duplicate address if the only difference is between "Street" and "St." in the database. Cleaning up the duplicates is even more challenging. I have needed to export lists of constituents, identify duplicates in Excel, and then go back into Raiser's Edge to merge and delete the duplicate constituent records.

Stephanie
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 04/11/2016

Satisfied Raiser's Edge 7 user Ready to Make the Jump to RE NXT

I previously worked with many other database interface software in the for-profit world, where I worked for the first 15+ years of my career. So when I started using Raiser's Edge, it came relatively easily to me as it reminded me of other previously used interfaces. We have a large database of over 350K donors, and Raiser's Edge has no problem handling our volume. The Raiser's Edge 7 is now showing some age in how it's structured and functions, but mostly in look and feel. We have been using Raiser's Edge with our database on premise. With the seismic shift into cloud computing, we are planning to move to a Blackbaud hosted environment, which will, in and of itself, bring us closer to feeling like it's not the 90's anymore. But the good news is that Blackbaud knows that the look and feel, usability, functionality and ability to play well with others need to catch up with the rest of technology, and so they introduced Raiser's Edge NXT a couple of years ago. RE NXT looks modern and fills many checkboxes of what fundraisers need to do their jobs in today's environment. (See Pros to find out more of what I like about RE NXT.)

Pros

Raiser's Edge 7 gives you the tools (and/or gives you optional add-on tools) to manage your donor relationships and data in just about any way you can think of. It's a great all-purpose fundraising tool for non-profit organizations. Raiser's Edge NXT (RE NXT) is the next generation, and we are most likely moving to that within the next year. The awesome things about RE NXT are 1. User access to your donor data from anywhere on any device, 2. Unintimidating ease of use for non-techie and techie alike, 3. Open API which means lots of more fantastic compatible tools are being built by Blackbaud partners, 4. Unlimited users - which means now our Board members and many other stakeholders will be able to login and get their reports on the dashboard instead of waiting for emailed or, even worse, hard-copy reports to be run and delivered to them by our staff.

Cons

My experience with the Customer Support has been less than stellar. Sometimes it seems like the Customer Support's go-to answer is, "No" or "No, you can't do that." Unless the answer is, "Well, if you buy this other tool we have, then you can do that." But since we have no plans to move off of Blackbaud products, thank heavens they have an amazing Blackbaud Community network where you can ask any question and get tons of advice from folks just like you working in this software daily. Blackbaud Community is now the first place I go when I need support. Many times the question I have has already been asked and answered in the past, and so just searching through the discussions will get me my answer or point me in the right direction, instead of wasting time trying to re-invent the wheel. My fairly high rating in this review on Customer Support is mostly because of Blackbaud Community and our fairly newly assigned account manager.

• Industry: Museums & Institutions

Reviewed on 19/01/2021

A Necessary Evil

While there are a lot of new, or newer, donor management systems out there now, Raiser's Edge is still the one most organizations go with. It has all the necessary features and if you already have RE 7, switching to NXT is easier than trying to move to an entirely different system. Frontline fundraisers will find NXT much easier to use for their purposes than RE 7, but those who use Raiser's Edge a lot will still find themselves in the regular database view with no major changes from RE 7. Slowly some important features are being brought into NXT view. First the only way to add a gift was in database view, then you could add gifts on a one off bases in NXT view, now adding gifts in batches in NXT view is being rolled out. But for data entry, database administrators, or other RE power users, there won't be much of a change from RE 7 for a while.

Pros

Raiser's Edge NXT is much more intuitive and user-friendly than its predecessors. It has many neat features built it such as the map/location function and some automatic reporting. Its mobile friendly meaning its easy to review notes or update on-the-go and the email tools built in are very useful, even if not the most robust email system.

Cons

With NXT, it seems like Blackbaud released things before they were ready. Many of the necessary features can't be done though the NXT online view and still require the database view, which is the same as RE 7. They are adding new features all the time and perfecting the ones they already have, but many times it seems like they should have perfected it before it was released. Often when they debut a new feature, I'm left with more unanswered questions. I do belive NXT view will get better over time, and it is necessary to switch over as soon RE 7 will not be available, but NXT is expensive and does often feel like it is still in development.

Lindsay

Reviewed on 02/11/2016

Raisers Edge - IF you are good to it, it will give you GOLD

Raiser's Edge is great for development departments of medium to large nonprofits, schools, etc, especially those with sophisticated fundraising programs. It may not be the best fit for small nonprofits with limited resources in the budget. The Raiser's Edge is an excellent software for cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship and allows for easy tracking of each constituent's relationship with your organization.

Raisers Edge is being used by the development department to track donations and our constituents relationship to us as an organization. Our database is not large but the relationships are long and often complicated. A database like this allows us to see the constituent and all of the interactions we have had with them over the years. The Raisers Edge in combination with some of the add on's like online express have been helpful for seamless tracking of newsletter readership and conversions from our website and online publications.

Pros

Queries are what we use to create lists of constituents with particular behaviors or similarities that we can use for creating mailings, invitations or actions. An amazing tool with endless possibilities.
Raisers Edge is a beast of a program. It can do just about anything you could want for a donor database and Blackbaud offers several supplemental solutions that seamlessly integrate.
Donor stewardship, from first contact, to donation, to acknowledgement letter, is a process that is handled particularly well with Raisers Edge

Cons

The program is quite complicated and if data is not entered correctly than the program just won't work well. "bad in, bad out'. But that is not unique to this program.
That some of the features that I like to use like global changes for adding appeals is pretty buried and the way of finding it convoluted.
Attributes could be more flexible: like I would prefer to have all events under one table (which it can do now) but then there is no step further where I can then say whether they RSVP and then also whether they attended and their name for easy export for nametags.

Michelle

Reviewed on 26/01/2017

Raiser's Finally Got an Update

I use Raiser's Edge as our donor database and the data entry, reporting features are really updated. However, when they came out with NXT, it was a game changer. NXT is amazing! It has a very attractive interface and super user friendly. As soon as you search for a record, consecutive years and all information on the donor is clear to see and it lets you know which donors you should be reaching out to. You could assign donors to others to initiate contact. You could easily access information on your mobile device. It takes the Raiser's Edge data entry interface and completely gives it a makeover. You are easily able to review giving history and all donor information on one page and very clearly. The only thing I don't like about NXT is that the consecutive years aren't always the same as in the donor records in the database version.

Cheena
  • Industry: Fine Art

Reviewed on 05/05/2016

Raiser's Edge Lifer Rant

Pros

My biggest likes for the Raiser's Edge are the various modules: Events, Membership and Online Express. I can organize the information and pull it back out in queries so easily. The canned reporting is not bad either. They pretty much have every kind of basic report you could need. You can pull some pretty decent reports that track actions, solicitors, giving and profiles. The key is making sure your data is clean and organized.

Speaking of which, Raiser's Edge has done a great job of improving it's data clean up functions. They have improved duplicate removals. They have added e-mail and phone clean ups. And they are always on top of making sure their clients are heard (even if it takes them a little while to deliver).

Cons

The reports have aged out at this point in the desktop version (non-cloud). Development departments are looking for different ways to report their money and we are now depending on Crystal Reports to constantly fill that void. I wished the reports were more malleable and you could really build out the layouts to accommodate what staff wants to see. The biggest thing I hear in terms of complaints from my staff are the number of clicks to get a process done, whether entering an event on a record to recording a membership. Sure we can set up default settings for many of the procedures, but there is still that need sometimes to have to go through and enter manually.

Dana

Reviewed on 16/10/2018

Valuable and versatile database

I'm speaking to RE7, i.e. the database view specifically, which many nonprofits use exclusively but those who purchase the NXT bundle also have access to the full database view as well. I've been using RE7 for 12 years and overall I love it, especially in combination with the NXT web view.

Pros

There is so much you can do with Raiser's Edge, it's a robust and powerful tool. It works "out of the box" without need for programming or customization per se (other than settings and configuration etc.) so you don't need to be a coder to set up and use. I particularly love queries to pull together lists of donors who meet certain criteria, which can then be used for mailing lists, reports, exports, etc. The acknowledgement letters are incredibly valuable, allowing variable data and personalized language, e.g. when a gift is designated to a particular program we pull in a paragraph about that program without our gift entry staff having to do any manual or extra work.

Cons

Can be a bit clunky, and not always intuitive (NXT web view is a huge improvement in those areas). The reports aren't pretty (again NXT is astronomically better there) and sometimes there isn't a report that will work for our needs so I have to set up with queries and exports. There is almost always a way to do what I need to do, but I sometimes have to go through some complicated digital acrobatics to get there.

Emily

Reviewed on 21/07/2020

Blackbaud

Overall, we like and dislike this product. We are learning to live with some of the quirks of it because the organizational tools for fundraising seem to be quite good for us.

Pros

What I like most about this product is that as a fundraiser, I have many tools that keep me organized and remind me to thank our donors.

Cons

My co-worker who uses this software for only adding donations has a very difficult time with it. She says it takes way too many steps to add donations. It is also frustrating that you have to create a new record for someone who has been memorialized by a gift. It seems odd to add someone into your record base that is deceased and there is a cap on the number of constituents you can have in the database without having to pay more. The reporting pages are confusing and difficult to understand how to set up a goal and see our progress toward it. There are many things like this that we come across that are frustrating to us.

Cain

Reviewed on 26/03/2018

Great Product, but Could be Overkill for Most Nonprofits

It's doubtful to me, especially after having worked with a few smaller nonprofits which have used Raisers Edge, that even the heaviest users in this arena are using even 50% of the product's out of the box functionality. So while I love the product, and especially love it because it integrates seamlessly with Financial Edge for the accounting reporting, smaller nonprofits are probably better served with something just as user-friendly but much cheaper for donations/events/membership management, like Avectra's Net Forum.

Pros

Blackbaud's Raisers Edge is great software for donations management, including special events and memberships. It's very easy to use, and very easy to get information from, whether through any of the many canned reports, or through queries and exports. Support is extra, but well worth the cost, at least in the initial years after set-up.

Cons

The cost - upwards for just the donations management - is considerable. And things like the Special Events module and Membership and Tributes and Memorials modules are not included in the base package. Like most other software, a lot of thought needs to happen when setting Raisers Edge up. But seriously for every con that I could list, the customer support that comes extra with the annual maintenance, if purchases, offsets the con with quick answers and fixes, so that even the most complicated thing in RE is easily addressed with a quick phone call to support.

Allison
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 11/02/2018

The Raiser's Edge is an industry standard for a reason. It's robust but doesn't play well with...

If you're a small-to-medium shop looking to invest in a CRM, The Raiser's Edge will work well for you. If you need easy integration with other software solutions (email marketing, event marketing, etc.) you may want to look elsewhere, but if your main need is a robust CRM, then The Raiser's Edge a good way to go.

Pros

The Raiser's Edge is consistent and reliable as a CRM. Because it is so widely used, there are tons of good resources online if you have any questions, and you are likely to be able to easily hire staff who have experience with it. You are able to set up your data structure with a good amount of customization. The the query tool is easy to use as long as you understand how you've set up your fields. You don't need to be able to code to administer the database, which I appreciated. Permissions are fairly straightforward.

Cons

As part of the Blackbaud suite of products, The Raiser's Edge is not easy to integrate with other products. If you need easy integration with other software solutions, you'll either have to buy other Blackbaud products, which are expensive and sometimes not the best in their class, or do a lot of data transfers between the systems. For example, when I was administering a Raiser's Edge database, I had to regularly export lists for use with Constant Contact, and import transactions for our online giving page, because we didn't use Blackbaud solutions for email marketing or online giving. It wasn't very difficult to do, but it did slow us down with tasks that should be automated.

Jeff

Reviewed on 05/12/2017

The best donor database

If you decide on Raiser's Edge, try to combine it with Financial Edge. Very similar software, integration, and user knowledge overlap. Just be prepared to pay.

Pros

Raiser's Edge is the best donor database I've seen. It has comprehensive fields and capability to track projects, funds, and appeals. When we used RE, we had about 250 different appeals categorized and about 50 different funds. When running reports or queries, you could slice and dice the data pretty much any way you wanted. Query functions were huge for me. You can dig down into anything you want - all donations by xyz appeal during 10-11 timeframe and paid by check at a certain event? That's an option, for example, with the click and choose query.
Huge added bonus if you use RE in conjunction with Financial Edge, Blackbaud's accounting system, as the two systems actually integrate (not export and import but a true integration).

Cons

The biggest obstacle we faced with RE was the pricing. Blackbaud prices you into tiers based on number of constituents, so if you keep old donor records "just in case", you end up accumulating all these records and data that you are paying for annually. If you can afford it, it's great. They are definitely shooting for the quality model not the low-cost model.

Kayla

Reviewed on 13/04/2015

Great Product with Room for Improvement

Pros

This is such a great tool to keep track of your constituents. Everything is organized, making it easy to find the information you need with little hassle. It was also relatively to learn how to use it. I had never heard of Raiser's Edge before beginning an internship during college, and without any experience outside of that using it, I was able to find a job where I spend all day using Raiser's Edge. Not being particularly computer-savy, it's almost unbelieveable to me how comfortable I feel using this product.

Cons

There always seems to be little kinks and bugs that make little to no sense, and many times even those at Blackbaud don't seem to know why. For example, I work a lot with tributes. Recently I discovered that when you are entering a gift and you have a tribute open, if you go into one of the tribute acknowledgee's records and then back out, RE will check off all of the acknowledgees to acknowledge even if you previously did not have them all checked off. My manager asked why this was happening and how we can fix it, and the short-term suggestion we got was to exit out of the acknowledgee record instead of saving and closing. Frankly, that's a horrible suggestion. Obviously there are going to be times when we need to save and close. I understand you may not have an immediate answer, but I'd rather you not be able to give me a suggestion than to give me a bad one. In short, I think there are many kinks to be worked out and customer service can be improved.

Joan
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 23/01/2016

Helpful fundraising software

Pros

The software allows you to keep more than just address and gift data for your constituents. You can customize parts of the software to meet your organization's specific needs. Additional modules can be added as your organization needs grow and budgets allow. Customer support is available through many channels and the company works to help users interact with each other, which can be very beneficial. They offer a variety of training options that are also beneficial and I would argue essential.

Cons

Their growth and expansion of products seems to be outpacing the ability in all areas to support it all. On a few occasions I have found promises made by sales staff to be unmet by the software...though it appears to be more of a lack of true understanding of my questions/needs on the part of specific people sales staff. When I ask support staff about it later, they are much clearer on what the software can & can't do.