About Blackbaud Raiser's Edge NXT

Raiser’s Edge NXT is an integrated, cloud-based fundraising and relationship management solution for nonprofits. Raiser's Edge NXT provide tools to streamline various activities of a nonprofit organization and provide a single...

3.7
4.1
3.9
4.1

Browse Blackbaud Raiser's Edge NXT Reviews

Reviewed on 07/07/2020

High end product, poor customer service

Great product, but the lack of customer service for the price point leaves a bit of a sour taste in my mouth.

Pros

This is definitely a nice product that does everything that it promises, and helps us keep track of all of our donors.

Cons

The price point is high for what you are getting, and customer support for this product is extremely poor at best.

Michelle

Reviewed on 08/12/2017

Raiser's Edge NXT is a big improvement!

Raiser's Edge NXT has notified us when prospect donor pledges are ending and recommendations for cultivation which has increased our major giving donors.

Pros

The Raiser's Edge database was very outdated however with the addition of NXT it's now very visually appealing and user-friendly. They took the old database look and revamped it to include charts, recommendations for donor cultivation and alerts daily referencing which donors to reach out to. It's very mobile friendly and great for major giving officers so they could make notes and assign tasks to their team while on the road. You could easily look up donor records and it's all accessible from Blackbaud.com so you don't need to download an app. It's good to have when on meetings and if you have to be an exhibitor for your Foundation and quickly look up donor records.

Cons

NXT shows consecutive donor years at the top of each profile however the years are not always accurate with the years in Raiser's database. Sometimes the years are way off. Also, they should make it easier to view outstanding pledges in NXT. NXT is a bit pricey however worth the cost and your return on investment is improved as it notifies you when you have major giving prospects to reach out to.

Kristen

Reviewed on 16/08/2016

Donor data taken to the next level

Pros

Raiser's Edge is a powerhouse for the management of donor data. It is easy to track a donor's contributions and see their giving history at a glance. I especially like the ability to identify each donor with a constituent code, which makes it very convenient to pull reports on specific groups of people who donate (like volunteers, board members, or staff). With the ability to see giving trends in multiple ways, data analysis is much more comprehensive and quicker to review than with other similar software types I have used.

Cons

Certain custom reports or queries can be difficult to design for the desired output, requiring help from Customer Service. Unfortunately, the wait time to speak with a live customer service representative is always VERY long. The online chat option can work in some instances, but not always. It would be nice if there were more representatives available to help via phone. The product is also very expensive and there are additional costs to add new components, even modifications like changes to the online interface. Every new development for the product comes with a high price.

Top Blackbaud Raiser's Edge NXT Alternatives

Roberta

Reviewed on 24/05/2022

Easier than database view but not as functional

When comparing RE NXT to other products I have used it is about the same in functionality. Prompts are usually pretty intuitive. It is not very customizable. Going back and forth between NXT and the database is time consuming. Kind of like using two products to accomplish one task.

Pros

The RE NXT product is easier to use than the database view. You can customize work tiles to easily access your work. Creating List is easier to do than queries. Just starting to create workflows. It looks like it has real potential to prompt actions.

Cons

Not all aspects are available in RE NXT. I still need to go to the database view to enter information. Customer service is extremely difficult to get in a timely manner. Chat agents can be abrasive at times. Would help if instructions contained some troubleshooting. Difficult to get real time examples outside of classes, which are not always scheduled when you need them.

Dory

Reviewed on 09/09/2022

Leader in the Field

I worked with RE for almost 25 years and each time they implemented improvements and they were just that. They also listen to customer feedback when implementing updates.

Pros

It’s a robust software with many add-ons.

Cons

Very expensive, especially for smaller organizations.

Whit

Reviewed on 29/06/2022

It's kind of the gold standard for Donation Tracking for Nonprofits...should it be though?

We use RE to manage donors and alumni for the college. We call upon the data to understand giving history and keep records of asks and changes in their business or personal lives that may affect our relationship with them or their giving capacity.

Pros

The history of the donors is what is most useful. Raiser's Edge has been around for so long and we have such a long history with it that the historical data is priceless.

Cons

Because we have such a long history and so much historical data with RE, we can not really shop around for new products without the risk of losing data or enduring a massive implementation process.

Jordan

Reviewed on 26/04/2022

Great for fundraising entitites

Pros

The product is easy to use, and I find that it keeps content organized in a clear and concise format.

Cons

There is some difficulty with reporting and pulling information out of the database, which can be problematic.

Allison

Reviewed on 22/09/2022

NXT is easy to use for donor management

Pros

I really like the access that we get to donor and constituent profiles. We can easily see all of the history we have with an a donor at our organization.

Cons

I wish that there were smoother transfers of constituents between fundraisers.

Mike

Reviewed on 22/09/2022

Looking for a replacement for Raiser's Edge

Pros

Functionality, donor records were robust able to enter split gifts.

Cons

Cost, user interface, difficult to use, customer support

Jen

Reviewed on 02/04/2019

Database Searching Made Easy

Pros

I love web-based software that gives more freedom in filtering and report setup. I get to decide what columns I do and don't want to see. RE NXT makes searching so much easier than the desktop software, as there are fewer steps to take for searching. It's intuitive in the search box, and you don't have to enter in all information to get a list of possible answers.

Cons

The pages are aesthetically bland. I wish the categories inside a search result were differently colored to quickly navigate where one category ends and another begins.

Stephanie

Reviewed on 04/11/2016

Satisfied Raiser's Edge 7 user Ready to Make the Jump to RE NXT

I previously worked with many other database interface software in the for-profit world, where I worked for the first 15+ years of my career. So when I started using Raiser's Edge, it came relatively easily to me as it reminded me of other previously used interfaces. We have a large database of over 350K donors, and Raiser's Edge has no problem handling our volume. The Raiser's Edge 7 is now showing some age in how it's structured and functions, but mostly in look and feel. We have been using Raiser's Edge with our database on premise. With the seismic shift into cloud computing, we are planning to move to a Blackbaud hosted environment, which will, in and of itself, bring us closer to feeling like it's not the 90's anymore. But the good news is that Blackbaud knows that the look and feel, usability, functionality and ability to play well with others need to catch up with the rest of technology, and so they introduced Raiser's Edge NXT a couple of years ago. RE NXT looks modern and fills many checkboxes of what fundraisers need to do their jobs in today's environment. (See Pros to find out more of what I like about RE NXT.)

Pros

Raiser's Edge 7 gives you the tools (and/or gives you optional add-on tools) to manage your donor relationships and data in just about any way you can think of. It's a great all-purpose fundraising tool for non-profit organizations. Raiser's Edge NXT (RE NXT) is the next generation, and we are most likely moving to that within the next year. The awesome things about RE NXT are 1. User access to your donor data from anywhere on any device, 2. Unintimidating ease of use for non-techie and techie alike, 3. Open API which means lots of more fantastic compatible tools are being built by Blackbaud partners, 4. Unlimited users - which means now our Board members and many other stakeholders will be able to login and get their reports on the dashboard instead of waiting for emailed or, even worse, hard-copy reports to be run and delivered to them by our staff.

Cons

My experience with the Customer Support has been less than stellar. Sometimes it seems like the Customer Support's go-to answer is, "No" or "No, you can't do that." Unless the answer is, "Well, if you buy this other tool we have, then you can do that." But since we have no plans to move off of Blackbaud products, thank heavens they have an amazing Blackbaud Community network where you can ask any question and get tons of advice from folks just like you working in this software daily. Blackbaud Community is now the first place I go when I need support. Many times the question I have has already been asked and answered in the past, and so just searching through the discussions will get me my answer or point me in the right direction, instead of wasting time trying to re-invent the wheel. My fairly high rating in this review on Customer Support is mostly because of Blackbaud Community and our fairly newly assigned account manager.

Michelle

Reviewed on 26/01/2017

Raiser's Finally Got an Update

I use Raiser's Edge as our donor database and the data entry, reporting features are really updated. However, when they came out with NXT, it was a game changer. NXT is amazing! It has a very attractive interface and super user friendly. As soon as you search for a record, consecutive years and all information on the donor is clear to see and it lets you know which donors you should be reaching out to. You could assign donors to others to initiate contact. You could easily access information on your mobile device. It takes the Raiser's Edge data entry interface and completely gives it a makeover. You are easily able to review giving history and all donor information on one page and very clearly. The only thing I don't like about NXT is that the consecutive years aren't always the same as in the donor records in the database version.

Jeff

Reviewed on 05/12/2017

The best donor database

If you decide on Raiser's Edge, try to combine it with Financial Edge. Very similar software, integration, and user knowledge overlap. Just be prepared to pay.

Pros

Raiser's Edge is the best donor database I've seen. It has comprehensive fields and capability to track projects, funds, and appeals. When we used RE, we had about 250 different appeals categorized and about 50 different funds. When running reports or queries, you could slice and dice the data pretty much any way you wanted. Query functions were huge for me. You can dig down into anything you want - all donations by xyz appeal during 10-11 timeframe and paid by check at a certain event? That's an option, for example, with the click and choose query.
Huge added bonus if you use RE in conjunction with Financial Edge, Blackbaud's accounting system, as the two systems actually integrate (not export and import but a true integration).

Cons

The biggest obstacle we faced with RE was the pricing. Blackbaud prices you into tiers based on number of constituents, so if you keep old donor records "just in case", you end up accumulating all these records and data that you are paying for annually. If you can afford it, it's great. They are definitely shooting for the quality model not the low-cost model.

Karen
  • Industry: Philanthropy

Reviewed on 17/12/2019

RENXT helps our office to be the best it can be.

We receive immediate information that we can act on. Yes, you need to put the time in to learn how to use it. I think that what people need to understand is that the way they save data impacts their outcomes with the product. They need to work with it instead of expecting it tho exactly fit the needs of their organization.

Pros

I've been using Raiser's Edge for 15 years. My current office purchased the NXT web view in 2015. This product helps our office achieve our fundraising goals in many ways. I like that when we purchased the NXT web view we still kept the database view. Now we have the best of both worlds. Most of our office now works exclusively in the web view and with it, they can now get immediate information by themselves that assists them in their work. The new features of the web view have greatly enhanced how we do business.

Cons

I really like this product and I have a hard time coming up with anything negative to say about it.

Connie

Reviewed on 31/03/2016

Overall very pleased

Pros

The data is well organized, easy to pull, and easy to export. Although this is the only major database software I have used personally, I have heard multiple comments from others that Raiser's Edge is so much easier and more efficient than other software types on the market. Our organization has been using Raiser's Edge for over 15 years, and we are well pleased with its capabilities and performance.

This software manages everything fundraising related - donor profiles, biological data, giving history, mailing histories, event attendance and seating, EFT and automated credit card transactions, memberships, to-do tasks, alumni information, online giving forms and email blasts (with the optional Online Express module), etc. BlackBaud has an easy-to-access support system if you need help, as well as training, blogs, free webinars and videos so that beginners can easily learn the system.

Cons

BlackBaud is a little over-priced on some of its data cleansing services, like EmailFinder and Deceased People Finder. We often get the same service for much cheaper through our mailing house vendors.

Reviewed on 10/06/2019

It Keeps Getting Better

Pros

We are a higher ed institution and we have moved from Banner to Raiser's Edge to NXT. What we saw right away was that NXT is very intuitive and easy to use. Our frontline gift officers love that they can use it on their phones, computers, tablets, and laptops, and that it's just a website away. Pulling lists is a lot easier and more accessible than the database query and the built-in mapping feature is widely used. It is a very clean and easy interface, which has made it a clear winner with our frontline staff.

Cons

Some very basic components are missing, which can be very frustrating. For instance, you can view an list of your Opportunities (Proposals) and a list of your Portfolio assignments, but not a list of them together. You also can't filter lists by looking for missing values (e.g., Prospect Status is blank), which creates some headaches. You very much have to adapt your processes to the database, rather than adapting the database to your processes. That can create some serious headaches during conversion, but overall it will save time.

Jaimie

Reviewed on 03/10/2019

Very user friendly

Having NXT is invaluable to having donor information at our fingertips, and for having an efficient process for recording contact and actions with donors for historical purposes.

Pros

I work a lot on the database side of Raiser's Edge, but NXT is super user friendly for those on your team that need information at their finger tips but aren't "database administrators".

Cons

There are a few functionalities that cannot be done in NXT and must be done in the database, and a few that do not report clearly (i.e. soft credits).

Gwen

Reviewed on 09/07/2018

Easy to use product...even for non-technical people

I'd like to see search and list options included for Fund records, Events, and memberships. Adding this functionality would make it a more complete product for our development staff to use and be able to easily view information that is tracked in each of these key areas like lists of endowments, attendees of specific events, etc.

Pros

The data is in an easy to use format, especially for non-technical people. In addition, the list and analyze features provide an easy way to view specific information easily. Our staff really likes the ability to move tiles around, the mapping feature, and integration with outlook.

Cons

The integration with Outlook doesn't allow the ability to change a completed date and add the name of a solicitor when creating an action.
It does not allow searching or lists for fund, campaign, membership, or event records.

April

Reviewed on 21/04/2015

The only game in town . . .

Pros

I believe Raiser's Edge allows you to track a lot of informaiton in its constituent-relationship database and I like that it has products which it speaks to easily, i.e. a financial product (Financial Edge) and an Internet option (NetCommunity.) I enjoy having the subscription that we have which allows us access to unlimited online and phone questions/issues and also unlimited online training. Very pricey, but worth it, because of the complexity of the system. Blackbaud makes a habit of buying out a lot of their competitors which makes them "the only game in town" in some aspects, but also allows them to take the best of their competitors products and incorporate them into Raiser's Edge, etc. I am most excited about their new product launching July 1, 2015 called RE NXT. This is a cloud based application which will be a great asset to any non-profit focused on major and principal gifts. The only caveat at this point is that non-profit has to have its RE environment hosted by Blackbaud in order to purchase this product.

Cons

The customer service leaves a lot to be desired. They often do not get back to us when we have issues with RE; they seem to focus most of their customer service toward "hosted" clients (and we are not hosted at the present time); we still have cases open with them and unresolved since November 2014 (and this is now April 2015); they do not exude the "customer is always right" attitude and they are a very expensive product. Also be careful with their pricing, different customers pay different costs for the same service/products. There also seems to be a lot of hidden costs when purchasing new products or modules from Blackbaud for the RE so make sure that you delve into that with your customer representative if you are looking to purchase anything from them.

Erin

Reviewed on 13/12/2018

Excellent robust tool for fundraisers

Pros

The modern interface is intuitive, robust and incredibly mobile-responsive. The reporting options are great for CEOs, board members, and Development departments. The 360-degree view of each constituent is insightful and helpful. Love the ability to log in from anywhere with no additional downloads needed. Real-time constituent updates keep everyone in the loop. Blackbaud is continuing to develop and push out additional features that will make this more and more useful and relevant.

Cons

Honestly, for what I use it for, it's hard to find anything missing that Blackbaud isn't addressing and planning for future releases.

Stephen

Reviewed on 21/12/2020

Great product if you

Pros

Ease of integration for the front line fundraisers

Cons

It is not yet as flexible as the Database View (RE7)

Reviewed on 12/07/2019

Potentially a large step up from RE7

Pros

The ease of use for those not accustomed to the traditional Raiser's Edge database, this allows other teams to use it when before they would not have. Ability to access records from anywhere. Reporting is great to easily identify metrics for our organization.

Cons

A large number of features that we are very excited for are not yet fully active resulting in us using both NXT and RE OLX. In particular we are waiting for the ability to create donation forms, as well more functionality in the email platform to allow us to add the responses to the records.

Cindy

Reviewed on 17/08/2017

perspective on Raisers Edge

I would not recommend it for small organizations.

Pros

Raiser's Edge has wonderful reporting capabilities. It definitely personifies garbage in, garbage out though, so you want to be sure to set things up the correct way right from the beginning. Also if you want to be able to quantify your data you have to put in fields that you can do so - not something like notes.

Cons

It is not the easiest to learn and I don't feel like we ever used the full capability of the software. I wish there were more opportunities for general training's using it and learning how other companies are utilizing it.

Deborah

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

As the development director of a small non-profit, we use this software to track our donor...

Pros

It provides a comprehensive, detailed account of all interactions, donations, and potential contacts among our donor base. Whenever I've had to call customer support, they have been incredibly knowledgeable and friendly, and typically have gotten to the bottom of whatever issue I'm having.

Cons

There are SO many functions and features that it is hard to utilize them successfully at any given time. Reports can be complicated to produce, and creating queries to generate the specific sets of donor groups you are looking for is difficult at best.

Melanie
  • Industry: Fund-Raising

Reviewed on 08/12/2016

Still the most sophisticated fundraising software.

I've used Raisers Edge for years and it is still the industry standard for larger nonprofits that don't want to create their own software. The most important caveat is how much time a nonprofit spends on implementation.

Pros

It is built by fundraisers and they continue to improve it.

Cons

While it is excellent, if you put garbage data in or you don't take the time to implement correctly, it will not help you achieve your fundraising goals. It can be complicated and expensive.