About Confluence

Confluence is a project management solution that enables organizations to create, collaborate, organize and review project documents. The system offers both cloud-based and on-premise deployment. Confluence’s editor feature...

Browse Confluence Reviews

1,929 of 1,869 reviews
  • Industry: Medical Devices

Reviewed on 18/09/2021

Notes and Document Management for Pros

Confluence is the best notes taking and document creation software available - it's a well-integrated, easy to navigate tool that enables live collaboration whilst providing a range of integrations to other business tools!

Pros

Easy to use navigation bar per space (topic area) of store notes coupled with a range of text formatting and style features - Confluence is one of the best software tools available for notes taking! The inbuilt macros, linking page functions, mentions, comments and live editing all add to the allure of the Atlassian product range.

Cons

Confluence can be a steep learning curve due to the overwhelming amount of functionality available - including the permissions and access control clashes.

Microsoft OneNote

Reasons for Choosing Confluence

Confluence was cleaner and more agile with a clear collaborative value over other products.

Asana, HubSpot CRM and Evernote Teams

Reasons for Switching to Confluence

The range of features, integration potential and ease of collaboration. The storage, navigation and organisation of Confluence sold it beyond any other product.
Terri K.
  • Industry: Translation & Localization

Reviewed on 25/06/2021

Unified Documentation...finally!

Coming from a place where we had dozens of documents split between Drive/Dropbox, switching to Confluence brought a lot of clarity and unification to several dozen engineers and customer support reps. Now everybody has access to the most updated information at any time.

Pros

Copying everything over from where we had it was super easy!
Easy to include links and training videos.
Easy to decide who has access to view sensitive client information and account updates

Cons

I wish the documentation across different organizations was easier to switch between. Right now the Customer Support team has their own organization/viewing access but they have to switch out of it go to the Development/Product organization to access that.

Reviewed on 14/01/2019

An excellent documentation service that has saved me on many occasions

My coworker and I use confluence extensively to document all of the work that we perform. As IT staff many issues that we come across will be repeated ad-infinitum. As such to simply be able to look up the fix from any location with internet access increases efficiency many times over. The notification ability helps all users to see what has been changed, when, and by whom providing an excellent level of accountability.

Pros

It is extremely easy to create a large number of documents, it is possible to reference other documents within them to facilitate ease of research, and documents can all be put into sub-folders to contain them within separate trees to aid with organisation.
The mobile app is extremely useful for reading documentation whilst on the go - an example would be that we keep Video Conference details on one page that I have favorited, as such when I set up a VC from any location I am able to rapidly find the correct details to dial.
The search functionality allows for extremely quick location of relevant documents. On many occasions I have not been able to find what I need looking through the lists, only to immediately find it on the first search. Indeed I no longer look through the list as the search is so efficient.
When changes are made to documents it is possible to set it up to notify other members of the team so that they are able to see what has been done.

Cons

The only minor issue I have discovered with confluence is that when creating new documents setting the location is not as smooth as I would like.
Specifically I need to begin creating the document, then select "Move" and finally put it into the desired place. This does not really cause issues as it is still a quick process, however a one click setup would be appreciated.

Top Confluence Alternatives

Janosch F.
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 25/11/2018

Versatile, powerfull, easy to use

As with other Atlassien products Confluence is just a charm to use. It is a great Wiki and it continues to be the gift that keeps on giving the more atlassian products you combine with it. I would absolutely chose Confluence again in the past and in the future. If you manage it smart (by setting up well conceptualized wiki spaces and making people patreons of certain areas in order to avoid cluttering) I could not imagine any solution better suited to Knowledge management and business documentation than Confluence.

Pros

We use Confluence for serval years now, together with Jira (Ticket Management) and Bamboo (Build Server). It has proven its value time and again for us and provided us with clear, easy to navigate and edit business documentation for almost all areas of business. The Editor is esy to use, there are Plugins for all imaginable use cases (for example specific PDF exports) and a great FAQ and very helpful community. The Editor for content is fantastically in terms of ease of use and results to be generated. Also all Articles are stored versioned, so you can easyly go back a version, or check what has been changed in case you have to get back up to speed on a topic you left checking a while ago. You can follow authors, topics or wiki Spaces so Confluence keeps you in the loop about what is happening. In case you work on confidential material the user access management is just a dream to use, simple, powerful and without any ruged edges. Additional Features are added and when they are they are well thought through and perfectly conceptualized. I never have found a feature which did not deliver what it promised and more. Some are not for me but the ones that were introduced and sounded interesting generally were. This is THE tool for anyone who wants to document all kinds ok business knowledge from simple things like HowTo or FAQ Article to complex branches of deccsion documentations connected to development progress (by Jira ticket integration).

Cons

Confluence has a lot of great features. The main Issue with Wiki Systems often is they work great in teh beginning and later become bogged down with badly maintained content or just forgotten structures. The search for the wiki still is not perfect. It has improved and is fine to use but I have seen better. There are also not a lot of features that support administrators in decluttering a large or huge Wiki and sometimes we had issues for complex, nested user rights. Also as always the case when you have an ecosystem of plugins, you have to make sure anything is compatible with a new version before you update, especially if it is a third party extension. Don't get me wrong, there is not much to complain here, you have to really look hard in order to find anything bad about Confluence.

Reviewed on 19/09/2020

Documentation is key and Confluence is the perfect place for it

My overall experience with Confluence is excellent. My team has been using confluence for over 5 years now and I don't see that changing anytime soon. We have built an extensive knowledge base in Confluence and keep learning more and more awesome features every day.

Pros

What I liked most and like most about Confluence is recently the ability to inline edit with team members on the same page. You can collaboratively edit a page together. This is very helpful when in meetings with multiple people and they can all be updating their portion of the document at the same time without stepping on anyone's changes. Second to that I would have to say the quick commands to change headers or add lists to a document on the fly never having to move your hands from the keyboard.

Cons

The thing I would say I liked the least about Confluence is it's API, while there is extensive documentation for it. When you are new to working with their API it can be very hard to get off the ground running without a lot of trial and error due to the lack of examples.

Mike F.
  • Industry: Sports

Reviewed on 06/10/2020

Great For Internal (Technical) Documentation

Confluence helped our team docuemnt our processes and compile our technical documentation and scripts in a central location. Confluence makes it easy to create and share a document, and also update docuemtnatiion and alert 'watchers' (those tied to a page) whenever changes are made. The ability to link articles to JIRA helps tie technical issues to real problems that were solved.

Confluence is very feature rich and takes some time to learn, but it is worth the investment. I look forward to keep using it to help keep us organized!

Pros

The thing that I like most about Confluence is that I can create linked set articles in order to maintain technical documentation, which can be distributed across a wide range of teams and departments easily using the built-in shared features. The tools make it easy to embed pages within a page in order to create easy to follow guides. The ability to use tables and pictures helps a lot as well, and they're a lot of add-ins that can be used, such as code blocks!

Cons

If not set-up well, the organization of a workspace can get out of hand, making articles very hard to find. It is paramount to have a plan when creating pages and documents. There are not a lot of custom formatting options, and as far as I can tell, no way to automatically create a table of contents for a page, which would be a huge benefit.

Bodo S.
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 31/10/2019

The quasi standard for organizational wikis

Building an overall wiki base was our main purpose and it worked well. We have been expanding it and documenting progress across a large team.

Pros

Confluence is easy to setup, maintain, and to use and allows many team members to contribute. The search function is pretty good and tagging and organizing works well. It's even possible to use it as a document rev system, though that stretches the functionality for larger projects.

Cons

Confluence is slow to implement new features that helps to speed up the workflow (i.e. copy and pasting works most of the time, but still has some issues). Formatting and arranging items on a page is sometimes difficult and frustrating and using it for documentation on paper often doesn't work well. Permissions are unfortunately difficult to implement and Atlassian is slow to acknowledge obvious shortcomings.

You're also tied to them for a long time since exporting the knowledge base in an efficient manner is pretty much impossible.

Trello

Reasons for Switching to Confluence

Good Support and prevalent.
Jennifer L.
  • Industry: Aviation & Aerospace

Reviewed on 09/06/2017

My go to for collaboration

Pros

Confluence on the cloud is really easy to use. Non-technical people and technical people can easily figure it out. What I love about it is that it kinda of has a social media feel and but has all of the functionality to manage a Lean Agile project. The integration into the Google Suite of tools has brought some other key features like single sign on via Google Accounts which is kind of nice. Anything to battle security fatigue is a plus in my book. The cost is also really affordable for new businesses and start-ups and even personal projects. Why did I not use Confluence to plan my wedding?! Anyways,I digress..this is definitely one of my favorite collaboration tools out there and if you think you need to work together on a team doing MULTIPLE projects, Confluence is a must have.

Cons

I feel like every time I go in there, there is a new widget to use. There are so many of them that I don't have time to go through them all to find out if it is worth getting! Atlassian should consider sending "recommender" notifications of tools that might fit our needs based on our usage pattern. I'm not overly concerned about privacy here, but if there is a new widget that I don't know about I'd like at least a small tickler or notification to check it out.

Jessa F.
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Reviewed on 23/04/2020

great for remote work teams

It has been great so far, and we feel like we have barely scratched the surface.

Pros

We are using the free version so far. We needed a better way to share documents and consolidate files rather than sending files back and forth. Everyone can log in to Confluence and see any updates, get tasks assigned, update documents, and more. There are many many many templates to use and features to add to documents. The possibilities of use of this product seem endless.

Cons

It can be very overwhelming to learn. We went about a week before we started to get the hang of the product. You need to read a few tutorials or blog posts to start to figure it out. We decided to go with using it and are still learning the best ways to use it. We wish there were more editing features for document like Google docs has with suggesting edits, where you can cross out text and substitute right in the form, but instead you need to write comments. Edits are tracked, but it's not as easy to use or see what was edited.

Reviewed on 20/07/2018

Using this software from last 4 years. It's simple, easy to understand and user friendly.

I have prepared lot of documents related to my project and placed those at Confluence. Shared the link to those documents within my team. Anyone who need it simply download it from that location. Also downloaded lot of documents from confluence which helped me to understand the project. No need to approach different people for the documents.

Pros

1. It is a centralized location to store documents at organization or personal level which can be easily available around the globe.
2. Simple and user friendly interface. No special training is required to understand the tool.
3. Use to track your daily activities like meetings, scrums happening at organization level which can be easily monitor by higher authority through this tool.
4. Easily can be linked with Jira.
5. Notification functionality is one of the strong feature present in the tool. Team will get notification through mail if some update the page.

Cons

1. Searching the document is bit difficult if someone forget the name of the document.
2. Don't have the option to chat with colleagues at organization level .
3. It's not free. User has to pay to get the license.

Abizer A.

Reviewed on 11/04/2018

A very useful tool for managing the complete knowledge repository and team-management...

There are quite a few business problems that we solve using Confluence, the most important one is team collaboration. with confluence our team can collaborate and share information and documents with ease. We can archive information, we can add information to confluence and every stakeholder will be notified about any updates etc which is quite useful in a high-demand scenario as ours. Another business problem that we solve using confluence is progress tracking and reporting by integrating it with Jira.

Pros

The way we can organize the information and the complete knowledge repository is pretty good. Here we can manage all the data with ease and in properly organized manner. The searching of any information is quite easy. Another good factor is its various integrated tools like I can manage a team calendar here, make various add-ons and integrate it with Jira etc which is quite useful for us.

Cons

Some of the things which I dislike is its Page-Tracking. Sometimes we have seen that the page tracking doesn't work pretty well. Another thing which makes me uneasy is its formatting of pages which is trivial at times and I cannot add much graphics

Reviewed on 21/09/2019

Good for organizing content

Ultimately, I think it is a very useful set of software, but it is not as much a database as a content-management system. If you intend to use it to create and share documentation, it's great. Storing and reporting on details requires other tools.

Pros

I liked the ability to customize and to store lots of documentation. We also used it for working on documentation with a team while maintaining change-tracking, which was great.

Cons

To be really useful, it requires the addition of a lot of plug-ins, which allows you to do more extensive exporting, do things like "find & replace" across more than just a page, etc.

Randall H.

Reviewed on 15/01/2018

Great for building knowledge base and capturing work documentation

Overall, Confluence is a great tool for capturing useful and shareable information between individuals, groups, teams, or projects. It contains many useful features and addons that can expand on its basic capabilities.

Pros

We have used Confluence to capture work instructions, business rules, technical information, links to artifacts, tool usage documentation, keeping track of tasks via embedded calendars or links to JIRA. It is for the most part very easy to use, populate, create and organize pages, and add widgets. With elevated privileges, one can manage interface colors, layout, templates, widgets, permissions, spaces, and many others. There are many widgets that can be useful to a project or team.

Cons

If you have access to space and page settings, they seem often unintuitive. It is hard to manage who can or can't view pages and use other advanced features. Confluence's integration with JIRA is very limited, only IDs or IDs with names can be displayed. If there was a way for Confluence to display tables based on a JIRA query, that would be way more useful.

Jenny R.
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 17/10/2018

This is the enterprise svn-wiki

I used to journal ever since I was a little girl. Now everything I do is systematically recorded and documentated on my own hosted Confluence server. So that whenever I want to repeat anything I have done: code that I have written, system which I developed, game that I played or idea that I have heard - I can now search and call them up to reimplement elsewhere - all thanks to Confluence which has also excellent permissions and protections.

Pros

We have used this to document projects and write protocols which can be used for reference without scrolling through months of chats to find what you need. It is best used as a static repository of the final work or versions which are fairly stable. For tasks, we use the sister product which can be integrated - JIRA. The main benefit of your Confluence is that all your changes are tracked and versioned using svn.

Cons

Like I hinted previously, that it should used as a repository of protocols and documentation where changes are not very frequent since although it has versioning it gets rather unmanageable when there are hundreds of changes.

Zee G.
  • Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Reviewed on 15/03/2019

Information for Project Management

We have used Confluence in conjunction with JIRA and there were several things we've done:
- HR: keeping the company's information available for the staff (policies, rules, documents, team photos, etc.)
- PM: keeping the data about the projects, including technical documentation, mockups, business analysis information, links to designs and accesses to the project.
- Admin: we use Confluence to write meeting minutes because you can create tasks from the points in the confluence.

Pros

- minutes keeping - lots of options and the best thing is the ability to highlight the text and create a task in JIRA right away. This is an amazing feature because you can focus on keeping the minutes and create the list of tasks to be done (without switching back and forth).
- it's a convenient tool to keep all the necessary project's documentation in one place.

Cons

- the editing options are numerous and so are the plugins, but it is sometimes hard to guess what the creators meant by the icons. Once you get the hang of it, it's good, but it does take time to get used to it.

• Industry: Consumer Electronics

Reviewed on 20/08/2019

Pretty good utility for maintaining Wiki for teams

A great collaboration tool where majority of the design reviews, explanation of how a feature works etc are documented.

Pros

Provides great flexibility to add weblink, code snippets, tables etc in the document.
I specially like the 'watch' functionality which sends out an email anytime there is a major update to the page.

I also think the Poll functionality is pretty effective.

Cons

Not very intuitive. I recall I had to spend a lot of time the initial few times when I used this SW to even understand basic stuff such as adding rows to a table etc.

Marcus H.
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 05/09/2019

Create an Org level Wiki in Minutes

Confluence is a game changer when it comes to internal information sharing. It's quick, aesthetically pleasing, and reliable. Atlassian created a great and very practical product.

Pros

When working within a system where information is constantly updated and the owners of the info are constantly contacted for content accuracy, Confluence becomes a huge asset. Confluence allows you to build a Wiki library of information that can be shared departmentally or organization wide. The settings are customizable--you can be the sole contributor or teams can collaborate on pages to update information. This allows users to refer to these wiki pages before needing to contact the owner of the information they seek. Furthermore, this integrates with JIRA so ticket tracking and live updates as well as archiving is possible. Wonderful if your field is face pace in need of quick response on content.

Cons

If you're not a current Atlassian customer, the learning curve may be a bit jarring, but for the most part it's intuitive. There are a lot of features and a lot of clickable items upon starting, so it's advised to utilize the help section and tutorials before diving in.

Google Drive

Reasons for Switching to Confluence

Confluence was the way to go because it allows you to detail the content in a way that can allow for anyone to find without much hassle. It archives by date, time, and or author, thus you have a few sure ways to double check that the information your acquiring is accurate and up to date.
Brent J.

Reviewed on 18/02/2020

Not as collaborative as Google docs, but things aren't lost in the abyss of Google docs

For a company that has 3 offices in different cities, it's helpful for managing documents.

Pros

Confluence has structure for document management which is very helpful. It also ties into Jira well, so if you're using that for development, it's a good fit.

Cons

It's not as easy to use (intuitive) or as collaborative as Google docs. Also, the table feature isn't great (sorting, etc.)

Dropbox Business

Reasons for Choosing Confluence

With so many users, documents go into the Google Drive abyss. Docs are hard to find unless you know specifics (author, title, the date it was created, etc.), which isn't feasible if there are 50+ people creating docs in 3 different cities.
Thomas R.
  • Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 22/09/2020

Used As A Wiki

We finally moved to a more formal wiki style knowledge management tool with Confluence. Previously, what little documentation existed was written up in MS Word and stored on a file share. Searching was severely handicapped, and no linking of documents was really feasible. There was also poor management of permissions.
With Confluence, those issues have gone away. The biggest issues we see now are just around formatting of individual pages- Confluence is not as powerful as MS Word when it comes to complicated formats, and it's not as intuitive, at least for some features, as a product like MediaWiki.
,I would still recommend MediaWiki over Confluence if all you're looking for is a standalone wiki platform. But if you're already invested in JIRA and AD, Confluence is a compelling addition that i smuch easier to manage administratively than MediaWiki.

Pros

Integrates pretty seamlessly with Active Directory and JIRA. Easy to manage permissions, especially different permissions across different spaces.

Cons

The markup tools are not as sophisticated as some wiki tools that I've used in the past. Certain things are not as intuitive to set up, and don't display the same when editing versus when viewing.

Bheesam J.
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 22/11/2017

Confluence is a tool that allows your business to create, organize and discuss the work that...

Pros

it is very easy to use and fit for technical and as well non-technical person, can be integrated with google. For agile working environment it is a very good tool. in agile mode we can integrate this with JIRA tool and can link/integrate it to see the linked stories , epic and bugs. Confluence on the cloud is really easy to use. The cost is also really affordable for new businesses and start-ups and even personal projects

Cons

number of widgets are large , sometime editing or creating space in confluence looks challenging but it will also be solved hen you have more experienced got on this o more time spent on this. sometimes when i found there is a new widget to use. There are so many of them that I don't have time to go through them all to find out if it is worth getting! Atlassian should consider sending "recommender" notifications of tools that might fit our needs based on our usage pattern.

• Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 20/09/2019

Confluence Has Organized Our Organization

When I first on-boarded with my team they pointed me to an on-boarding discussion topic on our confluence instance. I was able to use this to onboard much faster and easier than I have with other teams. It was easy to follow and if I had a question it was usually asked and answered in the comments section at the bottom of a topic. Today I use confluence if I want to know more about a particular part of our project. I can search for it in confluence and usually find some helpful articles or discussions that have been written for it.

Pros

Confluence has given us the ability to organize our thoughts and ideas within our team. We use it as a wiki and to archive common topics. It's very easy to use and the collaboration features allow multiple contributors and it tracks changes if you need to look back to previous edits. My favorite feature is the search functionality. If I have a question about something I'm able to search for it on Confluence and I'm usually able to find an answer.

Cons

The layout can be a little different from other wikis I've used. I didn't have a problem with it but if you're used to a specific wiki layout it may be a little confusing for you at first. That being said you don't have to use Confluence as a wiki. It's a great way to encourage team collaboration and archive topics.

• Industry: Outsourcing/Offshoring

Reviewed on 03/08/2018

Confluence to use or not?

My overall experience is that this is a good software to store and share knowledge if the team is big this software will help a lot, since every team member have access to it, it is an easy way to be informed in all of the changes in the information.

Pros

The way to save content and create templates and "wikis" is very useful. Within the company, all of our database and information is stored in the software and is very helpful to find all the information. Since its customizable, all the team can contribute to add their knowledge. The best part of all is that everyone can share and store information for the company's benefit.

Cons

One of the downs is that it is very difficult to find information sometimes because is layer over layers of information, sometimes also the links expire without prior notification and this sometimes can affect productivity, since we need to invest time in creating the page again.

Charles A.

Reviewed on 20/08/2019

Confluence for Company Knowledge-base.

The software does excel at being generally easy to use, having the additional knowledge of HTML makes it even a more powerful tool! We have been using it company wide for 5 years.

Pros

Confluence is a great team repository, makes it easy to access information across multiple platforms.

Cons

My biggest wishes would be a more concise search option, along with a better self serve support option

Microsoft SharePoint

Reasons for Switching to Confluence

Price and ease of use quite frankly.
Robert S.

Reviewed on 23/02/2018

Confluence - an awesome collaboration tool

Pros

Allows users to create documents that are displayed in the browser without requiring HTML skills; multiple formatting options; rivals desktop word processing documents but allows users to create links to other documents or web pages; keeps a concise history of changes, who made, allows for adding a comment about the change, and will notify watchers of page edits and changes; attachments can be attached to a page so the document is always ready; Gliffy plugin allows flowcharts and diagrams to be created/displayed; new functionality is frequently added and the stability of the product is very good

Cons

On complex pages with multiple formats, the editor can get confused if you use the undo/redo option making editing the page difficult; this rarely happens and can be overcome by saving the page and starting to edit it again.

• Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 21/08/2018

Flexible

We have had a good experience with it. We have had a couple of bugs in the setup and customer service has been pretty good, but does have room for improvement.

Pros

We have enjoyed using this software because we have been able to utilize it for multiple purposes. We have developed application specifications on it as well as document user guides, SOP and other team items. Its been good because of the ability to create spaces and groupings within those spaces. It has also been awesome that there is a way to tag deocuments. As we create things we tag them so when are looking in the future we can find them more easily. The tagging feature is pretty sifisticated.

Cons

While the system is pretty flexible it also requires a decent amount of learning to get up to speed on how to manage your instance well. Its an investment to get confortable with it.