About Kareo Clinical

Kareo is a Web-based EHR, medical billing, and practice management used by thousands of physicians across the United States. This system suits small practices and billing companies. With Kareo, practices can schedule patients,...

Browse Kareo Clinical Reviews

Cynthia M.

Reviewed on 20/02/2020

#1 User-Friendly EHR Ever Used!

In my experience of over twenty years using various EHR software platforms, I and can honestly attest that Kareo is by far the most user friendly and comprehensive EHR I have encountered in my professional career. I plan to be a loyal customer for life, thank you, Kareo!

Pros

Kareo is; user-friendly for people with little software experience, ready to go with little training, excellent implementation support, good customer service, amazing templates, forms and SALT Feature that cuts time & makes documentation a snap. The formatting/presentation of EHR notes is organized & professional. I love how I can select what information to share and can easily do so through the Care Coordination feature option in each note. I enjoy having all my medical, billing, records, HIPAA approved/secured Telehealth platform, Reputation Watch, client engagment, and much more...all from one vendor! Lastly, Kareo always asks for feedback on how they can improve & additionally demonstrates their value to customer service by providing excellent communication, accountability & follow-through. Kareo offers a superior platform and fair pricing. Highly recommended.

Cons

I would like to be able to attach documents to the internal email system when communicating with patients.

Debbie M.

Reviewed on 04/05/2021

Kareo Review

The support team is usually very helpful. We appreciate the ease of use of the clinical and billing (besides the issues with the medication portal). The only issue we have now Kareo and our other EMR system was having issues working together and getting a issue we were having resolved (its been 2 months). I had to get involved and now it seems as though both parties are working together to resolve our issue we is much appreciated.

Pros

Scheduling, Billing and ease of use with the EMR system (except for one issue).

Cons

Med Portal. Kareo uses a 3rd party at that controls how providers are allowed to send medications. We are a Pain Management Practice and at times need to be able to send pain medications outside the parameters that the Kareo 3rd party sets (1 pain med per 24 hours) this caused us set backs during clinic and we had to change to a different EMR system. We did not want to change but were forced to due to the parameters set by this 3rd party controlling the Medication Portal.

Sevocity

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical

Our billing company uses Kareo Billing and they suggested it. We would have only stayed with Kareo if it didn't have the restrictions with prescribing pain medication as we were impressed with the ease of use and having all in one system (Scheduling, EMR and Billing) was very helpful.
Melvin W.

Reviewed on 09/03/2020

Things I would like to see

Overall I think this is a very good platform and very easy to understand.

Pros

Karen is a very easy platform to maneuver. I like how you can find you client data with one or two clicks.

Cons

I would like to see patients that are made inactive be placed in an archive. By looking at names that are no longer a client make it takes longer for me to maneuver through the platform.

Also the charge for telemedicine sessions is ridiculous. I have to pay $7.00 per session. Telemedicine is about 80% of my business so I never can budget for Karen it is always a surprise at the end of the month.

Also if you put something on a Company Karen account you should have the capability of talking it off. Whenever I log on to my account I have to look at a Doctor who is no longer with my company but for some reason you all cannot take it off.

Your company will lock us out of the system without notification, yet our bill never adjust and we have to stop out business. I cannot perform any telemedicine sessions. If we can get a notice so we can inform our patients that would be great especially when we are talking about mental health patient with anger management and PTSD issues.

When you turn off notification for a client no one should make contact with them. The telemedicine side say they have to send out three notifications however they sometimes goes out in crazy hours. So when a company turns off notification we should know best.

Top Kareo Clinical Alternatives

Robert P.

Reviewed on 05/11/2019

Expensive Glorified Text Editor

I used the EHR and billing for a little over 2 years until Kareo decided to start charging an outrageous fee for the EHR part, and then made it nearly impossible for me to get my patient charts out of the software and provided ZERO support for this, and then ultimately deleted several years worth of patient records.

Pros

This EHR is essentially a glorified text editor with billing functions. This gave it the ability to adapt through templates and macros to a wide variety of documentation scenarios, not pidgeon-holed into a specific speciality.

Cons

Billing was not fully integrated into the EHR, meaning that the billing needed to be entered separately from the charting in a separate program that didn't carry over more than demographic information from the charting portion.

ChiroTouch and Practice Fusion

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical

At the time, I chose this EHR because it had free EHR capability with (partially) integrated billing for a fee.
Jeremy V.

Reviewed on 10/03/2020

Kareo EMR

Overall experience is remarkable. I would not go back to others.

Pros

Extremely user friendly, customizable, form and function agreeable and relevant to low-mid-or high volume settings. I have used many EMR products and Kareo by far out performs competition.

Cons

Occasionally has slow periods of operation but rare. Not really a big deal.

EHR 24/7 and Practice Fusion

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical

Better overall

Practice Fusion

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical

Better performance, customization and reliability
Sarah J.

Reviewed on 10/06/2021

This is what keeps our practice running

We had some issues in the past but I do like their customer support. I don’t think I’ve had an issue in close to a year

Pros

Super easy integration. Super simple UI for our staff who are tech challenged. It’s cloud based and there’s tons of custom reports I can create.

Cons

I do wish we could turn on 2nd factor authentication using Google authenticator or by text message.

athenaOne and EpicCare EMR

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Clinical

Needed cloud based system and didn’t want stuck in a contract

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical

Price and deployment time. We also didn’t need a lot of the extra modules and “frills”
Roya B.

Reviewed on 01/02/2019

Knowledgable - Affordable - Reliable - Easy to use - On it

We implemented Kareo into 3 of our behavioral health clinics a few years ago to get rid of paper charts and improve our collection processes. Not only were those 2 goals met, we have seen an increase in patient satisfaction, provider compliance with documentation, and our clinical processes have become streamlined. Kareo has benefited not only our business, but our patients which is our top priority.

Pros

Kareo has everything any practice and/or speciality would need from an EHR / PM system. Kareo has a user-friendly scheduling platform that allows office staff to efficiently complete their duties. Our providers have had a positive experience with the clinical platform that allows them to e-prescribe, document effectively, as well as ensure compliance with CMS, MACRA, MIPS, etc. The billing platform is also easy to use, but what I like most is the reporting system. You can literally run a report for anything! Kareo rocks!

Cons

What is there not to like? Kareo is the only way to go! #teamkareo

Rebecca L.

Reviewed on 29/02/2020

Excellent Customer Support and Usability

Kareo has made my transition to private practice easier and less stressful. In addition to documentation and billing, there are additional features that have been helpful such as eFax and a provider profile. These saved me the trouble of adding a fax machine or needing to set-up an additional website. I am very happy with Kareo and the support I am receiving.

Pros

Kareo has been very easy to use. There are several template which made it easy to set-up and maintain documentation. I am especially impressed with the coaching and customer support. My questions have been answered quickly and problems have been resolved efficiently. The people with whom I have spoken have been friendly and professional.

Cons

As an independent practitioner, I do not need to create elaborate reports. I have not tried any of the reporting features.

CarePaths EHR and SimplePractice

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical

I was impressed by the customer service features of Kareo. I have stayed because I find Kareo adds to the simplicity of my practice by having a number features all in one place. And, they still have great customer support.
Bridget R.

Reviewed on 12/03/2019

Does better for a medical practice

I love being almost paperless and appreciate being able to upload the papers we have.

Pros

I like the dashboard the most. It is easy to read and has a lot of information on each client as well as ability to schedule and take a payment. I also lov ed the drop downs for notes and SALT notes and SALT bills! Th hey save so much time.

Cons

Billing and notes are not well integrated. I cant keep track of clinician notes, and they keep messing up the bills because there is more than one way to do them and multiple ways to mess them up. It's made for doctors so I can't customize it for my practice. It doesnt include assessments and interventions, good diagnostic assessments, or integrated psychological assessments. I canxt control what forms my clinicians use, and am lost without medical biller. There isn't online signatures for forms either.

Christopher L.

Reviewed on 10/10/2020

Good for EHR

We use it for the telemedicine and also for the EHR so that we can do see our patients and it is all in one They have a app and a desktop version which is a little bit complicated but still user friendly. The whole system is easy actually.

Pros

With Covid we had to go virtual overnight, literally. I panicked and assumed we would do zoom but after researching our EHR Kareo I reached out to them and was able to get telemedicine connected in no time. It is easy to use and user friendly.

Cons

I only would say that I wished customer service was more responsive but you also have to consider that they probably had a 10000% increase with covid and everyone had to go virtual. Now that it has calmed down they have been much, much better for certain.

Sandy L.

Reviewed on 24/01/2019

Kareo is the best!

Kareo is always trying to improve and they tell you their progress in that area and give routine updates. Kareo is mindful of billing requests and takes suggestions very seriously.

Pros

Kareo is the best software and most user friendly software I have ever used! One click later you can almost always find what you are looking for and the help you might need if you don't! It covers nearly every aspect of billing without being redundant or confusing. If you are just starting out this is the one to get, if you have been at this for a while then Kareo will cover all your bases at a pretty reasonable price.

Cons

The aspect I like least is the support HOWEVER; this has greatly improved since I started with Kareo about three years ago. I had to call support just last week and it could not have been better so I hold high hopes for this area!

Linda B.

Reviewed on 17/08/2017

I began to use this system with templates that I created. I have used different systems and...

I appreciate the discount for e prescribing only. I am a single person office, pay for a schedule system that is excellent and allows the pt. to prepay, and tech support is five + stars.

Pros

I can e prescribe and this is a great time saver. However, I would like to more easily print scripts for controlled substances without using 1 sheet per script. I treat ADHD and my patients often require 6 scripts.I do not use the scheduler, notes, etc. Because I do not take insurance, it appears that the insurance features would be beneficial. I also like the ability to find diagnoses for ICDM-10 by referencing ICDM-9.

Cons

One must find the pharmacy in demographics so as not to waste time. Using the prescription generator oftentimes will display those applicable pharmacies as does the demographics page.

Randall L.

Reviewed on 23/04/2020

KAREO bankrupt my business

You cannot prescribe controlled substances. The EHR has not been updated in at least five years. The technology is very old. They only integrate with two major labs. You cannot get anything to integrate with KAREO. The customer service is nonexistent. You might as well not even try

Pros

Anything good about this software is overshadowed by the company's policies. The company does not care whether you make money or not. They only care that they get their cut. Do not go with this electronica medical record.

Cons

KAREO Bankrupt me on one occasion and I almost let them do it a second time. Do not use KAREO. You are putting your business at severe risk of bankruptcy. Absolutely do not let KAREO do your credentialing. It took them 16 months to credential me and I lost $40,000. They did nothing to help.

Response from Kareo

Hello Randall, Thank you very much for sharing your feedback, as it is very important to us that we understand where we may need to improve. For clarification, the billing issues and any credentialing issues would be best addressed with the entity that was previously providing these services, as they are separate from Kareo.

In addition, we would like to mention that our system is able to ePrescribe controlled substances. We also consistently update our software and implement new features to ensure that our providers are able to focus on what is most important: Their patients. We also have a variety of labs that we are able to integrate with and pride ourselves on our customer support team. With that being said, we appreciate that you have taken the time to provide information about your experience with us and will use it to improve going forward.

Replied 01/05/2020
Kaci H.

Reviewed on 03/12/2020

Extremely pleased!

Pros

The ease of the patient's chart is extremely helpful. The ability to access the web page/ehr anywhere is wonderful!

Cons

That the information doesn't crossover seamlessly into the patient's chart when they fill out the paperwork online. Multiple crashes when they try to submit their paperwork.

athenaOne

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical

The price and the versatility of Kareo.
Mariannep T.

Reviewed on 23/07/2019

Easy to.use emr system

Great minus the customer service

Pros

Very user friendly and easy to use or access from anywhere.

Cons

Terrible customer service (wait for hours and they still can't answer your question). Sometimes system does not allow prescribing of two controlled substances to same patient (even if it's a different drug) do you have to go back later in the day or on a different day to prescribe the other script it did not allow you to.

Response from Kareo

Marianne, we are happy to hear you have enjoyed the quality, ease of use and functionality of our product. We are although, very interested to know more about the feedback you provided regarding your customer service experience and we are sorry to hear it hasn't been the best for you. We want to learn how to improve, which is why we created a case and will have someone contact you to follow up on this feedback and hopefully offer you improved customer service.

Thank you so much for your time!

Replied 24/07/2019
Luanna B.

Reviewed on 08/02/2020

Easy to navigate, one flaw

Unfortunately benefits don't always outweigh risks. Working with another small practice and when asked if I would recommend Kareo I had to say no in its current state. I hope the bugs are fixed soon, so that can be a yes.

Pros

Easy to navigate, easy to teach when onboarding new associates to our practice

Cons

The site locks up, crashes or simply won't open multiple times a week which puts our productivity behind. Costing overtime hours

Response from Kareo

Thank you very much for your feedback Luanna, as it helps us improve. We understand that the experience this past month has not been optimal and our goal is to help your productivity, not to impact it negatively. We have certainly put matters in to play to prioritize our customer experience and continue to invest in overall performance stability. We hope to turn that sentiment back to a "yes!" as soon as possible. Thank you again for your comments and we appreciate you for continuing to bestowal your trust in us.

Best,

Replied 10/02/2020
Cheryl L.

Reviewed on 29/12/2020

Clinical EHR

KAREO Clinical effective for clinical charting; offers SALT (same as last time) for charting which is a tremendous time saver. System experiences technical difficulties more often than necessary, which significantly disrupt office flow and add a significant amount of time to charting.
Issues with medication prescribing; an "UNKNOWN" prescriber has been appearing on my patients for refills and have currently been waiting over 1 month for an answer or explanation of this occurrence.

Pros

User friendly clinical format with integrated features and templates. Clinical EHR calendar easy to use.

Cons

Customer service severely lacking; non-existent! My personal customer service advocate NEVER returns calls or answers e-mails.

Allscripts Professional EHR

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Clinical

Assured impeccable customer service and price competitive.
Tania R.

Reviewed on 27/07/2020

No customer service

Pros

I have been using Kareo way too long. I will be moving to a different platform soon for sure. Every time there is an issue there is no customer service available. When I started using Kareo EHR in 2013/2014 it was for free and there was an excellent support. Now it's 2020 and I pay close to $700 for 1 physician and 1 PA with no customer service. You can call, submit a ticket or email but it either gets lost in cyberspace or customer service reps and not well trained or trained at all to handle issues.

Cons

no support and there are always problems, especially with frequent updates made.

Response from Kareo

Hello, Tania, Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our company. We are sorry to hear that you have considered leaving, and would like the opportunity to address any unresolved issues you currently have open.

Someone will be reaching out to you to discuss anything that is outstanding.

Thank you again for your time, and we look forward to speaking with you soon,
Kareo.

Replied 28/07/2020
Kinjal D.

Reviewed on 07/11/2017

Easy to use, nice text shortcut feature.

Calender should be printed in the grid format rather than each appointment, so that appropriate time grids can be maintained well.

Pros

Ease of use, text shortcut features are awesome, ease of loading the template to initiate the note.

Cons

Needs more categorization for templates regarding therapy and rehabilitation. Printing the notes is a challenge as you have to print them one by one. If there is a feature to print multiple notes at same time, it will be really helpful to save time and make the chart at the end of treatment course, rather than printing one note at a time.

Laura C.
1.5
1.5

2.5
Reviewed on 05/05/2014

PM not what I expected

Pros

I like the ability to check eligibility for major insurance carriers. Scanning documents has been a big improvement for my office.

Cons

It's not user-friendly at all, and it's very time-consuming. Anyone taking appointments should be able to do it in a matter of minutes. Don't purchase the PM system if the appointment schedule is essential to your practice.

First, you can purchase the feature for reminder calls at an additional cost. I don't know what they were thinking when they chose the vendor. The call comes through without the name of the physician (I was told physicians with odd names were not happy as they were mispronounced so they just state, "You have an appointment with your physician"). When I called about this, a customer representative told me patients should know who their appointment is with.

Second, there is not a feature allowing the patient to either confirm or cancel the appointment. It is nothing more than a reminder call. To make matters worse, there is no indication on the schedule that the patient was even called. When I called Kareo to find out why, I was told it had to do with their vendor, and I could not have access to any reports regarding calls. I could, however, call Kareo daily, and they would tell me who wasn't called.

If you want to see which of your patients have checked in, you have to go to the appointment, right-click it, and see if they checked in. There should be a way of looking at the schedule and seeing who checked in and out, who was a no-show, and who cancelled. I manage a practice, and I want to look at my schedule and know who was here and who wasn't. I shouldn't have to run a report. I need to see as much information on the schedule as possible clearly. In case anyone is looking into this system with the hope that these issues will be resolved, forget it. I was told these are not priorities. While customer care has been attentive, I get that famous saying "I'm sorry for your inconvenience."

Mark G.

Reviewed on 13/12/2016

Kareo in a Men's Clinic

To date, I have used Kareo EHR for the best part of a year. Altho like any record keeping system there is a learning curve, but after that, it becomes very intuitive. The templates are very helpful. Overall, I would recommend this for anyone.

Pros

The program is customizable and the templates make life easy. The info available inside the system about the drugs the patient is taking is helpful when you find a drug you are not familiar with.

Cons

The flip side of the templates---you have to customize the program. The program is designed to work for most any application so if you don't use it all, you can delete that part. During the time I've used the program, there have been updates that are a bit frustrating because you have to figure out how to do what you need to do after the change. It would be nice if there was some communication from Kareo to let us know what the changes are and how to work with the changes.

Apurva T.

Reviewed on 13/09/2018

Easy startup, intuitive system, runs on all playforms; few issues with cash only accounts and...

Pros

Kareo is super easy to get comfortable with if you’ve ever used an EHR, works in most browsers, cloud based, rarely if ever have we had a system slowdown or shutdown. The scheduler, in clinic workflow, and patient communication are really well done. ERx and direct address are well integrated. Templates are numerous and easy to build and customize. Easy to use old notes to build new ones. Very easy for non clinical staff to learn.

Cons

Using Kareo in a cash only environment isn’t the easiest. They steer you to their credit card processor and don’t really make it easy to run your own. The support is mostly responsive but can be superficial.

Liz P.

Reviewed on 05/05/2021

Disappointing

Terrible. I am looking to switch EMRs. Don't waste your money here.

Pros

I initially bought the Kareo EMR because of of the billing/clearing house was attached to the EMR so it was all in one place instead of having my clinical notes in one location and then outsourcing my billing. I also "thought" Kareo had good customization settings which I learned later was falsely advertised.

Cons

1) Poor medical chart customization. I have a lot of unnecessary information in the medical chart that has nothing to do with speech therapy.
2) My Kareo Email doesn't work. Patients cannot receive my email through their patient portal.
3) I cannot send my evaluations/treatment notes to patients on the patient portal
4) I had to learn computer coding to customize templates. Not easy to use.
5) The secure messaging doesn't alert me when I receive a fax so I have to check fax box daily to see if I have received any faxes.
6) My "coach" mentor set me up with the wrong insurances for billing so I had to fix it myself.
7) The IT support gives false feedback saying they'll fix an error and 4 months have past and my Kareo email still is not up and running.
8) I have submitted complaints to Kareo and no one acknowledges them or contacts me. One time a supervisor contacted me but nothing had been established or fixed afterward.
9) I have to do every around about way to get anything accomplished on Kareo

Response from Kareo

Hi Liz, Thank you for sharing your thoughts about our software. We understand that each practice has its own unique needs, our product is designed with adaptability in mind. When creating a note from the patient's chart you can remove or add sections from the menu on the left. Please keep in mind we offer comprehensive on demand training with Kareo University. We encourage you visit the site and go over the content of our Provider Training as it covers some of the concerns mentioned here, like creating custom templates. We'd like to go over some of the concerns with you personally and provide the help you need. An Escalation Specialists will reach out to assist with any challenges you may be facing.

Replied 15/05/2021
Mary beth J.
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

Reviewed on 12/10/2020

Don't even consider using this EHR !!!!!!

While using the software it was just ok; nothing great. After multiple less than satisfactory customer service interactions we decided to switch to another product. We were told $35/month for read only access; which is what we agreed to. The first month the invoice was correct, since then we have been billed for services we haven't asked for, features we have never used, and despite several phone calls we are STILL being billed incorrectly. I am now disputing all the charges with my financial institution and will be contacting the BBB.
You have been warned......do NOT use this EHR !!!

Pros

It worked ok. There was nothing special about this software.

Cons

Customer service was poor at best. Their communication is terrible.

Response from Kareo

Hello Mary Beth, Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We apologize for any issues you encountered while speaking with our customer service agents. We are focused on ensuring our customers have an overwhelmingly positive experience with our support team, and your feedback is important towards that goal.

We show that you have since contacted our loyalty team who has addressed the issue with your invoicing and have taken steps to correct the issue.

If you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out to us.

Replied 27/10/2020
Greg P.

Reviewed on 06/03/2020

Kareo Review for small practices

Excellent value.

Pros

Sync with phone instantaneously. Excellent security features to avoid ransomware. Ease of importing documents and charting.

Cons

Scheduling for Kareo needs to be more customizable for concierge practices. I don't maintain set office hours and would like to be able to have my schedule of availability up 4 months ahead of time.