About NCR Silver

NCR Silver has been designed to meet the needs of small, independent retailers seeking a mobile point of sale (POS) solution.NCR Silver allows retailers to track customers and sell their products not only from standard POS...

3.4
4.1
3.4

Browse NCR Silver Reviews

Leigh

No Longer Flying Blind

I now have information on sales and inventory movement. This is helping me with staffing and supply chain management.

Pros

The software is so intuitive and user-friendly that my staff had no adoption issues. They were productive in minutes. I found it very easy to set up, and I love the back office functionality.

Cons

I have no complaints about this software. And I used to implement software for a Fortune 20 company.

Toast POS

Reasons for Choosing NCR Silver

They did not have a cloud-based solution and the user interface could only be described (charitably) as antiquated.

Reasons for Switching to NCR Silver

User interface, promotional hardware bundle, cloud-based back office.
Taylor

Reviewed on 26/11/2019

NCR Silver is a shoo-in for the Gold

Wonderful customer service, simple set up, easy to customize functions, menus and items.

Pros

Super, super simple and easy to use software with plenty of tangible options for setting up menus, options, and variables.

Cons

Currently there is no support for chips on credit cards; a very simple issue that is not a deal breaker in any way.

Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Switching to NCR Silver

Ultimately, ease of customization, back office, and lower credit processing fees.
Mario

NCR Silver review

This is our first POS and it has given us more access and flexibility.

Pros

Stable performance, easy to use interface, good quality stand, printers and drawers.

Cons

We should have access to the programming staff, either directly or via a liaison. There are many small changes that would greatly enhance our experience.

Square for Restaurants and Clover

Reasons for Switching to NCR Silver

Seemed like a better product overall.

Top NCR Silver Alternatives

Cash Register Express

Square for Restaurants

Square Point of Sale

Jerry

Reviewed on 01/07/2019

Solid software but not as versatile as hoped

The POS system, like others, allows me to track business flow when not in the store.

Pros

NCR's back office is easily navigated. It is feature rich in many areas, excelling in variations. The modifier portion of the software is decent, but could use some work so that it could be used as a single add on for several items as well as modified price times quantity.

Cons

Can not customize the customer information that you wish to have at a glance.
Can not set up tax exempt customers for automatic tax exemption.
Can not readily link inventory to my existing website.
Can not set up scannable customer ID cards readily.
Can not see inventory at a glance for quick inventory checks on items.
Will not print directly to Dymo Labeler for price tags from back office as Square will when receiving inventory.
Can not set up coupon codes for printable coupons, must set up an offer to apply to everyone.
Sales team said these were all included in the purchase, but were not.
Expensive software, overall less feature rich than Square but 33% higher per month.

Reviewed on 19/10/2019

Easy to use software!

It makes placing orders for customers so easy because everything is right in front of you on the screen. We are able to take multiple orders at once with this software.

Pros

I like that it's so easy to navigate through the different pages and areas of the software. Everything so self explanatory on the different pages that training someone on it is a breeze!

Cons

I dont like that the software freezes up multiple times a week. When it acts up on one tablet, its messed up on all of them. That can be very inconvenient at times.

Tom

Reviewed on 27/06/2019

NCR Silver Review

Pros

The system generally is up most of time.

Cons

It removed a lot of our stored hold tickets - thus, loosing info on contractors and the amount of purchases they had pending to pay

We had been in touch MULTIPLE times with NCR and level 1, 2 & 3 Guy named representative and many others
NO ONE EVER EVER GOT BACK TO US _ what the problem is/was / what info they recovered/ why that it lost our stored info etc. OR WAS THE ISSUE EVER RESOLVED ? This has been many, many months we have been trying to work thru this. It has cost us $ and customers. NCR Silver does not seem to care !! We have talked to many different support members and get the same general run around. Very Very discouraging, would not recommend product to any one.

Kristi

Reviewed on 20/07/2018

Unresolved issues and expensive

It is handy with reachingnour customers and very user friendly for our staff. We have a really hard time with our retail product growing and needing a barcode scanner but we don’t want to pay NCR more money when we have other issues with them that are not being resolved. It is also expensive. Some other businesses like ours use square and have no issues and have no monthly cost for the service, just merchant fees, which we also have in addition to our fees with NCR.

Pros

Very easy to use. Easy to retain customer contact info.

Cons

We’ve had quite a few unresolved and recurring issues with our credit card processing.

Reviewed on 22/04/2019

Stable System with Accessibility

Pros

We installed this in iPads in our store. System works fairly well. Can access real time from mobile to check in.

Cons

Sometimes the interfaces can get glitchy. Reboots required.

Tom

Reviewed on 23/07/2018

NCR Silver is OK

It’s ok, some things could be better or more functional.

Pros

Ease of use, setting up items and changing items.

Cons

Lacking certain helpful features like being able to use 2 iPads and ring out on one.

CJ

System Hasn't Evolved In Several Years

Customer service has gotten worse over the last few years and most reps really don't have solutions to anything that isn't basic.

Pros

Very intuitive to use and everything is cloud based.

Cons

The overall system hasn't evolved in 2+ years since we started using it. It's not compatible with Shopify nor is it friendly to any outside developers. There is not a transfer function between stores and the overall reporting is just basic.

Corie

Reviewed on 18/06/2019

This has really changed the way I do business

I have been so impressed. I have a lot of friends with restaurants, and I'm constantly singing NCR's praises. The fact that people use other ipad based registers makes no sense to me. This one literally pays for itself. in the amount I save by being able to use my own credit card processor.

Pros

I have really enjoyed not only seeing my daily sales broken down with time accounted for within the system, but also just having the sheer scope of information that this unit provides.
It's simple to use and implement, it's intuitive, and any time I have questions I simply open a chat browser from the back menu and I have been able to solve all of my problems within minutes.

Cons

I wish there was more I could do with employee tracking, but I think that's available in the next tier of monthly payments.

Todd

Reviewed on 24/07/2018

Great user friendly software

Overall NCR has been great for our business. As I mentioned above there are just a few things I wish could be added and or corrected.

Pros

Ease of use. Programming is simple with back office. POS is very user friendly.

Cons

Certain features need to be added to accommodate other businesses like salons. Tip feature needs to allow you to code the tip to specific employees for one example.
Needs feature to not allow cashiers to look in recall history at other employees tips. This has been an issue for us.
Would be nice if under customer info you can add multiple contact numbers like cell and home.
We are in the pet industry and it would also be nice to have a customizable customer tab, so we can add pet name and breed or pets DOB etc. under customer tab.
Certain glitches I reported keep repeating. Tech support needs better resolution and faster respond time.

Steve

Reviewed on 09/07/2019

Pros and cons about NCR Silver

Overall a very good system, as an owner of the business it has made life easier

Pros

Easily programmable, I have a restaurant and getting the program running and keeping it up to date is very easy.
Time clock feature is easy for payroll. Having a report for payroll is very important for accounting.
The ability to go into back room and change item prices on the fly or add new specials instantly

Cons

The only problem I’ve had is the time frame for employees to either ring in a customer or the logging out for employees so they don’t overlap each other. The time it takes to log in with machine number and then employee number when it’s very busy takes those extra seconds that customers always notice.

Elise

NCR Silver Review

Pros

What I like most about this software is the fact that it met all our needs for our small business. We offer a large number of products and the software is able to accommodate the number of products and gives us the capability of customizing our sales with discounts and other promotions. Customer service is prompt and accurate.

Cons

Inputting the large number of items and all the variables can be time consuming.

Neryk
  • Industry: Hospitality

NCR Silver for Jack and Sons Barber Shop

Not bad. Would love to have someone come out and fix the issues we are having.

Pros

Pretty easy to use and great back office helps keep up with inventory and sales.

Cons

System crashes sometimes and usually when we are busy so we have to try to figure out how to fix it ourselves and sometimes call customer service but hold for long time before ever getting help.. still have issues that need to be corrected with Quantum unit.

Roger

Reports

Pros

Straight forward use. Reliable log in...

Cons

We still have difficult time changing prices, etc in bulk. Since it takes too long to reflash when changing prices individually, we would've like to have the excel upload changes.. I know the feature is there but it seems like it only works some times....

Need better more detailed sales/inventory-performance reports.

Nick

NCR Silver Review

We had a terrible experience setting up the system. It’s over the phone instead of having someone come out to use to help set it up. Since we’ve had it up and running I have been pleased with what the system can do

Pros

It’s very user friendly, iPads are portable, easy to categorize items, ease of customer payment.

Cons

Customer database. It isn’t easy to send emails to customers with the marketing tool. There is no course break. When I enter multiple courses the system does not have a button for a line break. For example if there is a soup on course one and a soup for course two the soups show up as two soups for the same course. Sometimes the system has a delay with payment and when the ticket is entered.

Veronica

Buyer Beware

Pros

ease of learning the product, which is good because there is no real good instructions and the tech support can't seem to point you in the right direction. The internet search is you best bet and even then you don't get the real technical side, just how to use the features.

Cons

Unstable, we had so many issues with the product going down at least every other week and the support is so difficult that it literally would take hours to get it back up. One time it took 2 weeks due to the errors from technical support. You ask them a simple question and they put you on hold for 20 min. to get the answer.

Josh

Software review

There are improvements every year, but there are still issues that need to be resolved.

Pros

24/7 support. Email, text, online chat assistance.

Cons

The tech support is often incompetent and sometimes rude. Recently, It took 45 minutes for someone to tell me that the bar code at the bottom of the receipt cannot be removed.

Robert

Reviewed on 21/07/2018

Mostly positive

My overall experience has been good. They have great support

Pros

I like the ease of use and the different reports offered. They also have a lot of tools that come with the software, from POS to customer loyalty.

Cons

I don't like how the price seems to go up. The main reason I chose NCR was their pricing.

Joel
  • Industry: Tobacco

Reviewed on 15/07/2019

Review of NCR Silver

My overall experience with NCR is OK.

Pros

I like that it is easy to add and remove items with a couple of clicks here and there. The overall POS System is easy to use.

Cons

Talking to customer service is a nightmare. They take a lot of time to get answers to the questions that i had. I don't like that i cannot run a report for the items that i have received into the system for each vendor. I don't like that i cannot run a mass report of the customers that i have in the loyalty program with their total points. I can only see them on a per customer basis.

Tina

Reviewed on 01/07/2019

unanswered questions

The tech support is not as knowledgeable as I would hope for.

Pros

The ability to look and make adjustments from any computer.

Cons

Not much flexibility to adjust to fit my needs
Very expensive for what you get.

Katherine
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

NCR Silver Review June 2019

Pros

It is easy to add new items to the program and the color classification of the system to make it easier for my cashiers to remember where a certain item is located.

Cons

I wish there was a way that all customers had to enter in their information in our system before starting check out. This would make it easier for our customers who use the loyalty program.

MELISSA

Reviewed on 23/06/2019

NCR SILVER

I am able to work from home, vacation, or office.

Pros

The ease of navigating the pages and the POS. The reports are easily found and read.

Cons

Not able to save custom variations that are used regularly.

Nicholas

Reviewed on 02/07/2019

Everything works perfectly except for the card readers!

Pros

very easy to use! also easy to add and delete stuff!

Cons

the card readers get compromised and we have to send them and get them replace every other week. its frustrating!