CAKE POS Reviews

About CAKE POS

CAKE provides an easy-to-use POS that owners will learn like a pro in a short amount of time. The restaurant management system takes care of everything in one place with integrated online ordering, curbside pickup, reservations,...

4.7

Browse CAKE POS Reviews

Leo
Leo

Reviewed on 28/10/2023

Cake is great!

A little hectic at first. After [sensitive content hidden]
took over everything was repaired promptly.

Pros

Like the ease of use and functionality. Customer service was great, thanks to [sensitive content hidden]
, as he is very knowledgeable about your products and software.

Cons

Overall functionality is great. Customer service could use some work in areas.

Response from Mad Mobile

Hey Leo,
Thanks for the review!
CAKE POS Team

Replied 18/01/2024
Braden

Reviewed on 30/03/2021

Who Doesn't LOVE CAKE?

The data that CAKE provides me is incredibly valuable to our business. We love it!

Pros

We don't spend any time on training new team members to use our POS System (CAKE). Seriously, it's so easy we show them a few features and they are running it like a pro on day one. That in it's self has saved us a ton of payroll we use to spend on training.
From a ownership perspective, we have four locations and I'm able to track them from my central office, Wonderful!

Cons

Negatives only fall on one piece of the equipment. The cash drawer and the insert in it are not built for the type of abuse they can take in some operations. I wish there was an option to purchase extra drawer inserts.
There are no other negatives about CAKE.

Square Point of Sale, Clover and Toast POS

Reasons for Choosing CAKE POS

To provide my customers a better more efficient experience and to allow our team members an easy to use system that we as owners could easily track.

Reasons for Switching to CAKE POS

Cake seemed to have a more durable product. The biggest reason was....When I spoke with all the sales staff from the different companies the CAKE representatives were the only ones that never talked negatively about their competitors. That let me know they didn't need to degrade the other guys, they had faith in the system they were selling. I now have the same faith in CAKE.
Kelly

Reviewed on 09/05/2024

Sometimes hard to use, sometimes not

Pros

The customer service people (most of the time) are so helpful with whatever to need

Cons

Sometimes it’s extremely confusing on what to do when a problem arises. Also wish it did timing features to different stations on the line

Top CAKE POS Alternatives

DialedIn CCaaS

Square Virtual Terminal

Restaurant Manager by Action Systems

Adobe Digital Publishing Suite

Nolan

Reviewed on 15/02/2024

Support Team

Pros

They're POS support is fantastic! Even though we've been using Cake for our POS systems for a few years now, they're team is still at the ready and even teaches this old dog some new tricks now and again!

Cons

The peripheral hardware seems to have a hard time keeping up with usage but otherwise they work well.

Response from Mad Mobile

Thanks for the great review ol' dog Nolan!

Replied 20/02/2024
Matthew

Reviewed on 03/02/2022

We’ve used Cake for 2 years now

It’s been very good overall. Great customer service.

Pros

It’s user friendly. Once my employees use it for a couple hours they pick it right up.

Cons

We were unable to set up our online ordering from the table. There were too many steps for the clients to take.

It was too slow

Restaurant Systems Pro

Reasons for Switching to CAKE POS

Our food purveyor Sysco set us up with cake.
Jodine

Reviewed on 19/07/2019

Best System Yet!

The rep, our contact person at Cake, is AWESOME!!! :)

Pros

User-friendly, love that we can make changes off-site, looking forward to using their Guest Manager program and online ordering!

Cons

We wish the pizza part of their system was easier to use. Half & Half pizzas are almost 50% of our orders, and it is not the easiest to enter on this current version. The only think we liked better with one of our former systems, is that it showed an actual picture of a pizza and we could click and drag toppings from one side to the other. Much easier and better visually. We are hoping Cake implements this in the future. :) (Hope that helps).

Reasons for Choosing CAKE POS

Referral from another restaurant owner, and I actually used their system before making the decision to switch.

TouchBistro

Reasons for Switching to CAKE POS

Strictly on our referral. We never tried Toast. And, we primarily use Sysco, who is the food vendor who supports Cake.

Response from Mad Mobile

Best System Yet?

Thank you for your kind words Jodine!

Glad to see that you are using Guest Manager and Online Ordering.

Replied 10/01/2020
Tommy

Reviewed on 20/08/2021

Cake POS

Very user friendly

Pros

I love the fact that I have a POS system and I do not have to have a separate CC processing

Cons

Really haven't had any bad problems. We normally call support and it is handled quickly

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Reasons for Choosing CAKE POS

Changed locations and my Sysco rep told me about it

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Wanted something different
Amy

Reviewed on 14/04/2021

You won't regret this business partnership!

Very impressed with everything - the hardware, software and team of staff have all been great

Pros

We went thru a total of 7 product demos before selecting CAKE. Hands down was the most inclusive and best reporting features for our Bar / Restaurant / Bowling Alley. The couple times I have had questions, I've had great support and resolution very quickly. I'm not a tech person, and this was a super easy install and implementation for me to do with the rep over the phone. My menu build was very quick and the questions I have had since original upload have been answered quickly.

Cons

The only issue I have had is occasionally something will disappear that I know I have added as a modifier. Unsure if its a glitch, but it's been so minor that we haven't been inconvenienced at all.

Reasons for Choosing CAKE POS

Purchased the business and knew we needed a better system for accounting and order flow.

Reasons for Switching to CAKE POS

Overall had the best fit for reporting and user friendliness. Customer Service and our demo were what put everything over the top
Amanda

Reviewed on 11/03/2022

Great System...WORTH every penny!

CAKE is excellent. We've had great customer service when we had questions or issues...and our software and hardware have worked GREAT for the past 4.5 years!

Pros

We love that each employee can easily enter and track orders, as well as clock in & out! That coupled with the awesome real-time reports available make this an unbeatable product!

Cons

We have a small frustration with how the POS screen aligns the option buttons in ordering windows. It takes us a few minutes to adjust after we change menu items, but is not a big issue.

Square Point of Sale, 1Breadcrumb and Toast POS

Reasons for Switching to CAKE POS

It seemed to have all of the options we needed in one package, where everything else required additional programs, hardware or services.
Scott
Scott

Reviewed on 02/12/2020

A promising work in progress

Cake is a perfectly adequate system that has served our needs but as we grow we feel like we need to search for a more robust system with all of the features that we need.
Customer service has always been responsive, even if to tell us that the features we requested aren't available.

Pros

This system is user friendly and has all of the BASIC features you need to get going. The customer facing hardware is attractive and functional. Back end programming is fairly easy to use once you are familiar with it. Online ordering has been fairly easy to implement and has all of the BASIC functions you need.

Cons

After working with this system in multiple locations for a few years, we have come to learn of some shortcomings - reporting with the system in difficult to navigate and hard to generate more detailed sales reports. It is not an intuitive reporting system. The basic snapshot functions are great, but digging deeper to get more detailed reports is cumbersome. Also some basic functionality on the restaurant side is still missing. Tickets in the kitchen print up items in random order and there is no way to address this in the system. Most other systems have the basis functions to group and prioritize items on tickets for the kitchen and bar printers. You don't realize how important this is until you don't have it on a POS system. There is still no way to offer discounts or accept gift cards online either.

Kristin

Reviewed on 19/07/2019

Cake support and management assistance

Overall the system has assisted in staffing better, seeing trends with sales, reports are continuously being improved. Easy to update menu pricing and item changes. Great system for table waits, using text to notify guest table is ready is easier. Monitoring table times allowing us to see where weaknesses are. Up to date information regarding the sales, labor and comp, refunds, voids, staff errors. Everything is in one easy report.

Pros

Easy to use, 24 hour support, customer services is exceptional, constantly working on improving the system and uses the customers feedback in assisting to redesign and implement changes

Cons

With the support team so far away it is sometimes difficult to pin point the base of the system problem. Especially through phone conversations. Recently we had a Pos terminal go and it would enter things units own. It was extremely difficult to capture the incidents while it happened. Sometimes you can't capture the problem through a video or it just would stop when on the phone with support team. The problem went on for a month. Cake was outstanding and replaced the terminal free of charge for a one time customer courtesy.

Response from Mad Mobile

Hey Kristin, thank you for your review.

We pride ourselves on our ease of use and we continuously look to improve our Point of Sale, so thanks for noticing!

Also, glad to hear that you are putting our Point of Sale and Guest Manager to great use.

Replied 10/01/2020
LYNN

Reviewed on 11/01/2021

POS

Overall, we love this product, especially the support we get from the friendly staff. Anytime we have an issues, we call and it gets fixed. We have also been able to troubleshoot and fix items ourselves numerous times. It's an easy system and we recommend it.

Pros

Our customers love their screen. They like that they can see their order. It's easy to read and understand. We love that we can use the system from home on the laptop and not just in the shop. I make changes to the menu mostly from home. I love having the itemized close cash receipt every day. I love all the reports that I get for tracking my business.

Cons

I don't like that all the buttons are the same color. It makes it very difficult to find buttons in a hurry when you have 40 different syrup flavors and 34 different teas. We need colored buttons that we can use as groups, for example, I could make all our sugar free syrups green and all the syrups that start with an A, blue, etc... It helps your eyes to find things quicker. It is really stressful for new employees to find buttons when training and the customer is standing there staring at you. It's better as a trained employee, but it would save us time at the machine when we could be making their order. Colored buttons are highly needed. Also, ever since the last software update that affected us directly, it is harder for me to add new products to the menu and put them in the right place. I can't put my finger on what changed, but i have trouble adding new products under existing categories. They come out as new buttons on the main screen. Not sure how to fix that.

Carrie

Reviewed on 08/07/2021

Easy to use and a definite asset for restaurants and bars!

We had a wonderful experience overall with our system. I would still be using it if our business had not sold and would use again if we ever open a similar business in the future.

Pros

The CAKE POS was very easy to use and I loved the detail it provided for us. As a restaurant and bar, we needed a lot of detail in orders and the ability to print to different stations was amazing vs. having to walk each order back. The reports were easy to use as was the changing of the menu and adding/removing items. It was also great for training staff because it was very straight-forward and step-by-step.

Cons

Table numbers being required would be great. The signature pad being a little more sensitive to picking up finger signatures. Split checks were sometimes burdensome and could use a little improvement to speed things up when it's busy. I would love it if the creating of subcategories would be easier (say you have several of one brand of wine so you have less tabs to have to look for items).

Carmelle

Reviewed on 30/03/2018

Great Software! Great Support!! Great System!!!

The efficiency for the staff, which is HUGE!! We are a Family Restaurant, that worked with Carbon Guest checks. We would take an order at the table and run it back to the kitchen, and then move on to the next table. Now, because we use the IPads to take the order, we can go from table to table to take the order, while we are doing that we can have the coffee pot with us, and on the way back to the wait station, we can be carrying our pot, and cleaning tables, as well. All of this, while the cooks are working on the orders. We were able to get rid of one extra body during the week because of this efficiency. ALSO because of this system, everyone is charged the same, there is no more "guessing" how much the item costs because we are busy and don't have time to look, all of the sauces are getting charged for, and the amount of "forgetting to add it to the bill" charges are low. This system is a win, win. I just cannot say enough about it.

Pros

This system has Easy to add & Change Menu Items, which works awesome for our daily specials. It is VERY user friendly & Easy to train any age group. This system works great for reports, menu items such as what you are or are not selling, payroll, ect. I am so glad we chose this System!!

Cons

Cannot adjust the pricing after the order has been sent back to the Kitchen. I also wish there were some things you could have print in a different color that goes back to the kitchen. Our ribbons are red and black, but the printer only prints black. I also wish, there was a different way to have the orders print to the kitchen, but we are working through some of those issues. The cooks have to remember that they have to learn a different way to read the tickets as well. There are a couple of other things, but actually they are being implemented in the near future.

Response from Mad Mobile

Thank you Carmelle for taking the time to give CAKE such a thorough and glowing review! CAKE Point of Sale does not allow for pricing modification after an order has been placed. We did this to keep cash totals consistent in your inventory - so everything adds up at the end of the day.

We hear your requests for different colored ink on your tickets and early this summer we have an update coming out that will allow you to print modifiers in red.

Thank you for trusting the Copper Penny Family Restaurant to CAKE Point of Sale, working together just makes cents!

Replied 26/04/2018
Dennis

Reviewed on 28/08/2017

Not ready for Prime Time. Crashes when you need it most.

I can't think of anything this POS does better than the one we replaced. If it wouldn't crash all the time, we could benefit from not having the servers leave the floor to put orders in and run credit cards, but since they are constantly crashing, we don't have that benefit.

Pros

Easy to use interface.
Order Pads should allow servers to spend more time on the floor
Inexpensive POS System.

Cons

It doesn't work when we need it to. We've been trying to get the issues resolved via Cake Support and Sysco Management for more than 8 months. It isn't getting any better. As soon as the dining room gets busy the Order Pad Apps crashes. All of our servers need to have paper and pencil ready at all times to complete their orders and stand in line at the terminal to enter them every rush. It seldom happens when we are slow. Orders get lost during entry causing double work to recover the in flight order, after printing in the kitchen causing them not to be charged on the customer's bill, and customer credit cards have been double billed as a result of Order Pad disconnects. We are spending hours with Cake Support that we should be spending working our business. We have to keep 1 person available to capture trouble shooting information for Cake Support during our rushes when (not if) the Order Pads go down. Cake Support is always busy, but will eventually call back. When they do, they aren't very knowledgeable with troubleshooting, they don't seem to be trained to go any deeper than the Cake University screens. The cheap price of the Cake system has become a huge expense in manpower and wasted time in our restaurant.

Response from Mad Mobile

Your CAKE hardware is definitely not performing as designed. Our Customer Success Team has reached out to resolve your issue. Thank you for the honest feedback, we'll use it to create better products and support in the future.

Joseph

Reviewed on 05/07/2017

Very happy overall with the Cake System.

decreased ticket times, no more pocketed tickets, better overall customer satisfaction.

Pros

Our main problem before CAKE was time. It was taking too much time for servers to get something written on paper and get back to the POS to put everything in. If the internet was down everything was down so we wanted something cloud based so we could continue with transactions even if the internet had problems. CAKE meets all the needs we were looking for. We've got a much faster turnover rate on being able to get orders in and back to kitchen and out to the table, and we can continue taking orders even without internet, which have both helped with revenue. We also like using the guest manager system so when we run out of tables we can get numbers and page when tables open up which was an added benefit. I can also do things on the fly like change the menu even when I'm not on the restaurant, someone just gives me a call and I can add it from my personal laptop and it goes directly to the POS system, which has been really helpful as well.

Cons

Touch screen interaction is not instant. There is a half second lag in some of the menu screens. It may not sound like much, but anyone in the restaurant industry knows that every single second counts during the lunch rush. This lag also includes certain unnecessary animations between certain screens.
Certain features such as an on the fly print button from the table layout screen would decrease our table times.
The Split screen is very counter-productive compared to other systems.

Response from Mad Mobile

We're so happy to hear Cafe at the Gardens is running efficiently and profitably since switching to CAKE! But we are sorry to hear that you're experiencing a touch screen lag. If you haven't already done so, we advise contacting [email protected] for further investigation. We have brought this to the attention of our Product team in the meantime. Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences!

Karen

Reviewed on 14/05/2018

Absolutely horrendous. Customer service is completely useless.

none

Pros

Global modifiers. That's literally the only thing I like about it. If it wasn't for that, we would have gotten rid of this system a long time ago.

Cons

This system is completely not customizable to your specific business. They're constantly updating the software with updates that make the system even worse for my business. There should be an option to not upgrade. Customer service is absolutely useless. I've called them probably 50 times since we've gotten this system. They never have an answer, they're always "working on it". Never a solution. There was a software problem on their end last Wednesday. I still have not had credit card sales deposited into my bank account from Wednesday and Thursday of last week. It's 5:30 on Monday. I have not had a deposit since Tuesday's sales. One entire week ago. They don't provide any solutions except "We're trying to figure out what the problem is. We're working on it.", but you literally never end up with an answer. You just have to wait and wait until you notice it's finally resolved or never get it resolved at all. You're at their mercy because you paid huge for the thing. What am I gonna do? It's disgusting and these people shouldn't be allowed to operate. They do not care. Even on a normal payment schedule, you won't get Thursday's transactions until Monday, Friday until Tuesday and Saturday until Wednesday. If there's a holiday, push that back a day.

Response from Mad Mobile

We are so sorry to hear about your experience, Karen. We pride ourselves on excellent customer service, and we want to make this right. Our Customer Success Team has reached out to you directly to help resolve your issues.

Replied 24/05/2018
Rey

Reviewed on 15/11/2017

Easy to use. Up and running in no time. Great customer service!

Ease of use and so much easier trying new staff members.

Pros

We've had 2 POS systems before we tried CAKE. The very first one we had was already 5 years old so it was running really slow and just couldn't handle what we needed it to do. We upgraded that one to Clover and we had high hopes but it just really didn't work out for us. We had batching issues, the numbers weren't matching, and honestly it ended up making more work for us with bookkeeping. Since we switched, closing and reporting have been so much easier. Everything is a lot easier to keep track of like sales and payroll and it's so much nicer because you can see all that online. It's also easier to add new menu items or move things around and just easier to use in general, especially once we got everything up and running. It's a simple set up and I'd definitely recommend just giving it a try.

Cons

No Big cons really. One minor con, is that we wish we could accept partial payment on our regular customers running tabs. It would make it so much easier.

Response from Mad Mobile

Thank you for taking the time to review CAKE, Rey! We're glad to hear this is the best of the 3 Point of Sale systems you've tried in your restaurant. We make it easy for you to open, close, and simply generate reports from anywhere.

This video from CAKE University can help you with more information on splitting orders by payments. Thank you for choosing CAKE for Bon Vinos Bistro and Bakery.

Giordano

Reviewed on 30/11/2020

owner of the Pos

was good but now we are behind

Pros

we are very behind with the technology equipment and relationship with business and costumers daily base ...kiosk with self selfservise cash out

Cons

yes missing a lot of improved no try to update with the new technology and relationship with costumers daily base

Reasons for Choosing CAKE POS

they have everything that i need

Caryn

Reviewed on 20/05/2017

Efficiency on so many levels....

loss prevention, reporting

Pros

We have seen an increase in profits, customer service and the reporting ability has helped to make our business better. Both in the front and back of the house. We had been operating on old-fashioned handwritten tickets, implementing this system has benefited us in so many ways. I love the ability to be able to log on from home and see the sales at any given time. In addition, I have been so pleased with the quality of personal customer service I have received from the lead sales manager. He has helped with the initial start up, set up and functionality of the system has provided attention to detail and any hiccups that have ever arisen he has all problems solved quickly and efficiently. I, as well as the staff, find the system pretty intuitive. We have decided to implement online ordering now, and I hope to see an increase in sales. Overall, I am pleased with Cake.

Cons

I am not thrilled with the credit card processing company that we must use, I would prefer to someone else.

Response from Mad Mobile

Thank you for taking the time to voice your experiences, Caryn! We do offer the option to choose a different credit card processor, although the problem is we can't offer support if issues should arise. If you'd like more information about a 3rd party processor, please contact [email protected]

alicia

Reviewed on 08/06/2017

Restaurant

It helps a lot by keeping track of your sales.

Pros

The CAKE system is a lot more convenient than using a little old-fashioned register. It's a very helpful system. Keeping up with orders is way more convenient and we love being able to have a count of what you're selling at the end of the day. We can see what's being sold and what's being given away and at the end of the day, you can really see a breakdown of the profit. Any other system can't really do that. It's definitely helped us see what things are popular and what's not great sellers so we can give our customers more of what they want, and it makes it easier to see what staff is not selling and giving away for free. It's just a very convenient, helpful register and I've seen other businesses using it and there are so many different settings in the program for bigger facilities. If someone doesn't have this program, they don't know what they're missing. It just makes everything so much easier, and I've dealt with plenty of registers before. This is as simple as it gets. I'd recommend it to anyone

Response from Mad Mobile

Thank you Alicia for your great review of CAKE! We have to agree, old-fashioned registers are so last century. CAKE is glad Anthony¿s Mediterranean has the information and tools you need to streamline your operations and improve your business. We appreciate your glowing review and we¿ll keep working hard to earn your praise.

Replied 14/02/2018
Charlena

Reviewed on 30/03/2021

Worth Every Penny

I find it much easier to get the reports that I need and it tells me what I need without me having to do a lot of calculations.

Pros

The features for me adding categories and adding items to them is great. I own a bakery and ice cream parlor which has several items under the ice cream category. Cake POS makes it easy for my employees to find items during a rush and we need to move along quickly. I love the reports I get when we close so that I can see immediately how we did without going directly into the system. It was worth the money spent. I loved it so much I bought a second one for the other location.

Cons

I wish there was a way to enter my inventory so that I would not have to manually keep up with it.

George

Reviewed on 22/03/2022

CAKE Review

I was hesitant to switch to a totally different POS. I was introduced to CAKE and still was not a 100% when I decided to switch to them. I am so glad I found them! This POS system rocks! So easy to learn and train employees on. I even set up 2 POS stations with with 6 printers. That was a piece of CAKE also!

Pros

The ease of changing and adding items/prices is extremely fast and easy. New employees learn CAKE extremely fast which helps speed up training.

Cons

As an owner I would like to see a dashboard of Sales/Labor at the touch of a button. I do not like typing in my email password for this. I just would like to get a quick glimpse of Sales/Labor.

Reasons for Choosing CAKE POS

Cloud Based. Easy to change/delete/add menu items.
Tara

Reviewed on 16/10/2023

Rhop/Uhop

Very nice

Pros

It's pretty easy to use, definitely easy to maneuver with help from customer service

Cons

The payout print out is TOOOO SMALL! I've requested that a few things be tweeked with no resolution to requests

More up to date service

Response from Mad Mobile

Thank you for the 5-star review. We appreciate the continued support. We will let our success team know about your concerns. And as always, please let us know if you have any questions or concerns!

Replied 17/10/2023
Kimbi

Reviewed on 16/05/2017

Switching to CAKE has made a huge difference for our cafe

Switching to CAKE has made a huge difference for our restaurant. Now that we have offline options, we've saved a lot of money being able to accept credit cards and not having to refuse people without cash. The lower percentage on CAKE payment processing probably saves us thousands a month just in credit card payments alone. Not being able to track labor costs to sales previously created unexpected labor costs for monthly bookkeeping and other systems were just not very dynamic. The credit card swipers never break, which is another problem we had before. The employee tracking has also been really useful and the time audit report has really helped us find payroll fraud. We're definitely seeing a great return on our investment and would recommend it to others.

Cons

When doing monthly bookkeeping you cannot export a sales report broken down for each day, only one day or a selection of days lumped together into one sales totals, so I have to copy each days sales individually into my bookkeeping software, seems like it would be an easy fix for them but no one has listened to my suggestion to make the change.

Response from Mad Mobile

We're glad to hear CAKE has made your restaurant run so much more efficiently and profitably. We are working on adding the daily reporting you mentioned, and we're listening Kimbi, thank you so much for your invaluable feedback!