About Mailchimp

Mailchimp is a web-based email marketing service with millions of users worldwide. The application allows users to share newsletters on various social networks and track customer engagements. The application provides tools to...

Browse Mailchimp Reviews

14,582 of 14,218 reviews
Lakshmi R.

Reviewed on 11/08/2021

MailChimp for email marketing

I love the fact that I can insert email signature amongst various other things. Still the free plan can include some personalisation features and rectified merge tags.

Pros

Amongst many players MailChimp have always stood out with its features and robust analytics and many other characteristics. I like that I am able to stay connected with my clients and customers while also managing the list efficiently

Cons

I don't like the merge tags functionality. Almost always it ends up not working and it looks awkward and embarrasses in front of your customers.

Sendinblue and Sendible

Reasons for Switching to Mailchimp

Provided me more number of mails and CRM capacity as compared to other players.
Melissa S.

Reviewed on 30/01/2021

Great for Beginners

Overall we have had a great experience with Mailchimp. We plan to grow and implement and use more of the features as we learn how to use them and as our organization grows. I regularly recommend mailchimp to others.

Pros

We started using Mailchimp for our non profit so we could move from text only emails to pretty designed emails. I love the Mailchimp email templates and we were able to personalize it to reflect the branding of our organization. To be honest we only use a small part of what Mailchimp is actually capable of. Every few months as we have time to investigate we test out new features. Many areas that scared us at first (A/B testing, segmentation, etc.) were actually very easy to implement and the basic instructions provided by Mailchimp were all I needed. If I wanted more information, I found that the internet was full of great video tutorials as well.

Cons

I don't love the reporting....but I have't taken time to see if there are better ways to customize our reporting either. So that might be user problems. I also wish it was easier to adjust the template areas from 1 to 2 or 3 columns without needing to create a whole new template.

Squarespace and Emma

Reasons for Choosing Mailchimp

We wanted to be able to design our emails to be more visually appealing.

Gmail

Reasons for Switching to Mailchimp

In the end we chose Mailchimp because everyone we know is using it.
Jeff K.
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Reviewed on 16/10/2020

A great platform that keeps growing to suit our needs

It simplifies what could be a complicated aspect of business - email marketing & drip campaigns. Highly recommend this software to anybody who wants a flexible, easy, and robust solution but does not want to have email marketing tied to a specific umbrella-style CRM! We have a separate CRM Mailchimp, as you can probably tell.

Pros

The ease of use and deliverability of our email newsletters was why we chose Mailchimp many years ago as our go-to email newsletter and ongoing engagement platform.

The new functionalities added over the years such as agency delegation from client accounts, better segmenting targets within a list, ability to re-hit those who didn't open a campaign, the better-flowing automations (drip campaigns) are great - it's all easy to use & understand and are great improvements we utilize more and more every year.

Cons

Implementing a custom template and the HTML code was painful - but then, that's the case with any email template design with custom code so I cannot even fault Mailchimp for it. Perhaps they could have had more dynamic layouts for desktop & mobile friendly newsletters right off the bat. The early templates were quite hideous and we'd buy theme from Themeforest, brand/re-skin and upload the assets.

Reasons for Choosing Mailchimp

Self-hosted solutions are just awful - too much security & maintenance, server tweaks etc. - always use a subscription and pay the monthly fees to best leverage the know-how of those who do it full time. As soon as SaaS solutions became available (Mailchimp, Constant Contact) we sought new options and tried Mailchimp, and was very happy.

Reasons for Switching to Mailchimp

Ease of interface - much simpler and minimalist interface that non-coding staff on my team can use easily.

Top Mailchimp Alternatives

Eranga M.

Reviewed on 24/07/2020

Mailchimp Review

According to my opinion, the overall experience with Mailchimp is great. If they can resolve above issue I think this application will more great.

Pros

In Mailchimp, they offer 2000 free mail sending capacity for beginners. It helps a lot who newly entire to the marketing carrier. Because of those, more people attracting to the Mailchimp and they continue with payments afterwards. And Mailchimp has the amazing inbuilt facility to design our customized email campaign template manually which other Softwares may not offer. That also attract people to use this application.

Cons

Mailchimp disables the import facility once they detected the high bounce rate from the audience. In that case, people cannot import more emails to the current audience without using manual email adding. Because of that, there is a trend that people show less continuing. So as a solution, if Mailchimp can add a mail verifier part first and add the good once to the audience I think it will help to the users and user may lead to continue without left.

Noah eric L.
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 16/04/2020

Excellent marketing system, total control of the platform and campaigns.

The tool has been very good for my work as it has allowed us to meet very important objectives for us in the area of marketing, its great performance is what makes it ideal for meeting all our needs and personally is what I love most about this excellent software.

Pros

Mailchimp is a marketing tool that I have used for a long time and I know it well, the platform is ideal for any kind of company that wants to market with agility, the software allows its users to have a very pronounced growth in a very short period of time which is something very good that offers very few platforms and mailchimp is one of them, Personally I must say that I have placed all my trust in this tool because it allows me to make campaigns with high strength and very good designs, its interface is very practical to work because it shows all its functions easily which allows a very large performance to users when working, offers different templates that are very good to use in different campaigns, in general it is a tool with a great performance with high profitability for people who buy it.

Cons

Milchimp currently requires very few improvements to perfect its operation, the one I would like to see most improved so that it doesn't have limitations is its drag-and-drop option as there are occasions when it limits movement in designs and this is something that has prevented me from editing my designs to my liking on many occasions. This is the only complaint I have with this software so far and I hope my opinion will be taken into account for future improvements.

Ester D.
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 09/04/2020

Great tool for email blasts, you will need some training

MailChimp has been a perfect solution to manage all our email communications with our subscribers and customers. Our team handles 3 different brands with 20 000+ subscribers and the customizable email templates, user-friendly interface lets us be very efficient and creative, it's fun!

Pros

I have been using MailChimp 5+ years throughout multiple jobs. It is a great platform with a huge base of supporting articles and videos - which you will need once you have a few thousand subscribers. I am currently managing a 20 000+ subscriber base and at that level, MailChimp offers great categorization options. I can assign email addresses to different tags so it is very easy to create campaigns for targeted groups.

Security is very important to us, MailChimp offers a two-step verification option when you log in to keep your account safe. The dashboard is very user friendly, you can see all your recent email campaigns, their status (draft, sent) the open and click-through rate right off the main dashboard.

MailChimp offers great analytics too. If you have the tracking code set up and you are an e-commerce store, you can see how many orders you received from the email blast, the average order revenue, and total revenue. When you first sign up with MailChimp it will ask about your industry - make sure to fill it out with the right information because MailChimp offers campaign benchmarking too. You can see how your current campaign performed compared to your previous campaigns and your peers'.

You can connect your social media channels to MailChimp and automatically post your email blast to your social channels, which can save a lot of time.

Their search function is very smart, you can search for keywords throughout years and years of email blasts or subscribers.

Cons

Although it is easy to import and export subscribers it would be nice to have a bulk edit option where you can assign email addresses to categories, tags etc. When I send a test email before the final release for my team to review, it often lands in the junk folder.

Eve K.
  • Industry: Media Production
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 12/03/2020

Free for the first 250,000 subscribers no cost - must have a mailing address

Positive experience sending emails and letters but you need to have a mailing address a real physical address a po box doesnt count. I guess hoping people do not come to your house is a big deal. I was very scared about having a real location and I was scared random people would show up as they did before at offices to stalk. I guess at this current timene place it's safer to use your real address but many years ago it was not or may not have been. It is important to make sure all your ducks are in a row- your corporation is current for example, the po box or the mailing address is current for example mine wasn't and I saw peoplel at the post office that i would rather not see.

Pros

Mailchimp is pretty easy to use and has increased its features in the last few yeqrs. The first 150,000 to 250,000 subscribers are free and then you pay after so it gives you time to build your fan base. When I used old emails I got reports for using old emails and it got disbanded so I recommend using current email subscribers so there are no surprises - or make sure they know they are signing up for your newsletter inbox. For example we threw an event and I emailed all subscribers but they did not know we were the organizer it was for working women so most unsubscribed. In hindsight I should have had people subscribe or put on a disclaimer that we would market.

Cons

The fact it's so easy to be taken down if you get one negative report. I guess we got a few negative reports and quickly a lot of unsubscribers the first day we emailed a few hundred people from a tales of extraordinary women event. The problem I gu ess you encounter is how to try and get these customers or clients or readers to read your services that I am still working on ideas for how to get people to sign up.

Emma

Reasons for Choosing Mailchimp

Emma created a beautiful design but charged money for each subscription so that is why we moved

Emma

Reasons for Switching to Mailchimp

Cost that it was a free product even though the newslettter was not as striking.
Trevor A.

Reviewed on 01/01/2020

A must-have for the start-up email marketer or business just starting in email marketing

I went from doing 0 email marketing, to being very competent in email marketing with Mailchimp. From Day 1 until Year 2+, I keep discovering new tools and features within the platform that allow me to grow clients and their businesses. With the new features that mailchimp keeps adding in as well, I think they're going to stick around for a long while.

Pros

Mailchimp is incredibly easy to use, and can be taken from setup to launch in less than a day if you put in some effort. While there are platforms with more features than mailchimp, those are A) commonly much much more expensive, and B) harder to use unless you know exactly what you are trying to accomplish.

Cons

Two things:

1. Their removal of the plugin with Shopify was incredibly shortsighted. The vast majority of clients we used mailchimp for were on Shopify, and the connection between the two was one of those beautiful things that kept us coming back and recommending them again and again. Using them has become more difficult since that was removed.

2. If you are trying to go down the rabbithole and target super-specific customers, you may run out of segmentation ability on Mailchimp. At the time of writing this review, you could only combine 5 criteria to create a custom segment, and your segment could only be created as 'user matches all criteria' or 'user matches any of the criterion'. This makes it hard to get your segment just right. However, if you are really needing to make THAT custom of segments regularly (based on past conditional behavior, ESP, etc.) you probably have a bigger budget and can go get one of those fancier email sending platforms.

Klaviyo

Reasons for Choosing Mailchimp

Mailchimp was both cheaper, and more robust for what we needed. Additionally, the Constant Contact revenue tracking (through custom UTMs per campaign) was a mess.

Reasons for Switching to Mailchimp

We still use Klaviyo a lot (and love it) but for the business that is just getting started in email marketing, Klaviyo's cost is too high and it comes with features that likely won't be needed in Year 1.
Lisandro R.
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 27/10/2019

Mailchimp is behind the competition

MailChimp came as a free alternative to our email list when things got ugly in our business. We could say it saved our subscribers list (and business). Even though things have got better, we still use it for certain campaigns where MailChimp shines. Being it a free alternative, we cannot complain. But we wished it was easier to use and had more features (if so, we would easily go for the paid plan).

Pros

I liked the templates a lot. They are beautiful and well done. Very useful if you are into template use. Also, the free plan saved our business when we were out of money. It got all the basics for a business just getting started. Finally, the brand is beautiful. The UI is beautiful.

Cons

It's frustrating to use. The user experience is, I would say, quirky. It's really hard to find an option/feature. A lot of them are hidden in places that don't make sense. For example, I was looking for the landing page editor, I could find the landing page REPORTS under REPORTS but no editor at all. I gave up. The metrics it tracks are very limited compared to the competition that delivers way more useful and detailed metrics overall. Also, it lacks some of the most useful features like a robust tag system and marketing automation.

SendPulse

Reasons for Choosing Mailchimp

ConvertKit ended up being too expensive for us. So, we couldn't afford it anymore when our business revenue decreased. MailChimp's free plan has everything we needed to restart and be back to life from the ashes. It's a great alternative to any business just getting started!

ConvertKit

Reasons for Switching to Mailchimp

We got SendPulse "for free" in an AppSumo promotion. But SendPulse was even harder to set up and understand than MailChimp for us. MailChimp was easier and had way more features.
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

Reviewed on 14/09/2019

A Necessary Tool for a 21st Century Business that's Reasonably Easy to Use, with Great Support

We are required to send out newsletters to our investors (over 800 of them), and this had made it easy to design good-looking emails. And you can save templates, etc., to use over and over and modify them each time. We've never had a technical problem with it, although we've had issues with 3rd party apps and linked software connecting to Mailchimp. But I contacted their support and they were able to help me fix the issue, even though it wasn't their own software! I thought that was nice of them. They could've said "That's not our app, so we can't help you," but they didn't -- they walked me through a fix.

Pros

It has to be their support chat function and their useful Help articles. I did not get into my business so that I could run mail marketing software, so I appreciate anything that helps ease the learning curve. Email marketing is a necessary evil, and Mailchimp lessens the unpleasantness considerably. With no prior experience, we got up and running quickly. (We tried a few of these apps, and this one seemed the easiest.) It's complicated running email campaigns and newsletters, but once we mastered a few basics, I was very happy with the results. And it scales up as you grow. When our mailing list grew, it did not become exponentially harder to use. They offer a lot of bells and whistles that we don't need/use, but our emails look good and are easy to compose, adding graphics, etc. It automates a lot of repetitive tasks for you -- like your footer and address, etc. And we've never had a problem getting reported as spam.

And this may seem minor, but I like the whimsical nature of the occasional chimp graphics. Don't get me wrong -- this is work, not play, but it's nice to see a little chimp every once in a while when you complete certain tasks. Business is hard, so a little levity along with the functionality is welcome.

Cons

The price! It gets expensive quickly. I guess the upside to that is it makes you hone your marketing so you are profitable. You have to cut out waste and hone your mailing list so that it's more efficient. And from my research, the other programs cost about the same. I don't mind paying for ease-of-use, but I wish they would explain "cleaning" and "archiving" and other functions that would help me get my monthly costs down. I'm not planning on jumping ship anytime soon, but if they raise their prices again (they just raised them recently), then I will be gone.

Reasons for Choosing Mailchimp

Mailchimp was easier and suited our needs more. Also friends recommended it.

Easier to use.
Shayne H.
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 18/02/2019

Expensive but Effective! The first Newsletter tool that comes to mind.

MailChimp is quite a popular tool that is frequently used by budding enterprises because of it's generous Freemium model. I started using MailChimp around 3 years ago and I've never been happier. This tool helped me understand where I went wrong with my campaigns, improve them and made me save a LOT of money by deciding not to hire a separate design team. After using it for a few months, I realized that switching to one of MailChimp's paid models would benefit me way more.

Pros

1) Template Compatibility: The templates that you choose in MailChimp are optimized to fit on all screen sizes. Whether the recipient has a smartphone, a desktop, a laptop or even a tablet, your content will be delivered to him/her the way you want it to be.
2) Scope for better future campaigns: What I mean by this is - MailChimp gives you an edge or an insight into how your campaigns are doing. Based on the statistic report, you can refine and optimize your campaigns and make them more effective.
3) Engendering Interaction: Creating a Survey or a User Form has never been easier.
4) No HTML knowledge required: As I mentioned earlier, MailChimp has a myriad of optimized templates to choose from which helps you become much more creative with your campaigns. There is no need for a separate Design Team unless you don't already like the templates that are available.

Cons

1) User Interface: MailChimp does have a user-friendly interface(s). However, the problem is that they change the User Interface every time they roll in a new update. Yes, this will be easy to master in a short while, but that still requires a NewsLetter team to get accustomed to the new interface. This wastes a lot of time.
2) Zero Tolerance to Affiliate Marketers: If you're an affiliate marketer and you've just stumbled upon MailChimp, turn the other way. I'm not sure what the penalties are but I know they're quite severe.
3) Expensive: Though the Freemium version of MailChimp is rather generous, the paid subscriptions can surely burn a hole in your pocket when you find yourself wanting to send more emails and build your subscription list.

Sébastien L.

Reviewed on 10/02/2019

The Professional and Easy Way to Deal with Sending Emails to the Masses

I am very satisfied with Mailchimp and would highly recommend its use to anyone who is serious about scaling a potentially big business. I will surely consider Mailchimp for my personal brand as the first 2,000 subscribers are free anyway, which makes for a sweet deal!

It helped our current company present itself professionally with emails by having access to such a great template editor. We didn't have any web developer working on our team at the time, so it was easy to resort to using the included features, even though it's important to note that any code can be pasted as HTML for those who know what they are doing.

We thought that we knew our customers, but the reports generated by Mailchimp really opened our eyes and allowed us to know what works and what doesn't, which was surprising and very useful.

Initially, we deployed our own mail server, but we found out the hard way that Mailchimp is a much more reliable solution for us and it removes all barriers related to scale as everything is taken care of automatically on their side.

Pros

Mailchimp has a truly professional feel to it. The interface is responsive and well designed. The platform makes it easy to start for free and offers flexible plans, perfect for a startup. Mailchimp has many tutorials available that came in handy more than once. They also use a good sense of humor, making for a less boring experience when reading technical material. There are many options to customize the service and I found it easy to make all the necessary changes in order to set my account for a Spanish audience in Mexico.

Once a campaign has been sent, reports are automatically built. I could even see the stats being updated live just a few minutes after sending everything! There is detailed information about open rates, click rates and statistics about the general industry to see clearly if the audience is being reached as expected. One can also see the reaction of every customer in each campaign: unsubscribes, bounces, number of clicks, etc. All this information is accessible and can be exported to CSV.

Another aspect that I really liked is how well the template editor works. You basically insert "blocks" of text, dividers, images or other types of blocks on the right side of the page and you can see in real-time the template being rendered on the left side. I haven't found any issue when viewing an email sent through Mailchimp based on a template, both on mobile and desktop clients. On the contrary, it made for a consistent design and branding.

Cons

Mailchimp works wonderfully well, but it isn't for the faint of heart when it comes to the initial customization. Sure, the documentation is great, but it does take a while to setup everything. It wasn't clear to me how to use templates inside campaigns, for instance, but even without reading all the documentation, one can deduce much of the functioning by simple trial and error, which ended up being my preferred way to learn my way around.

I didn't find the File Manager as intuitive as the rest of the interface when I started using the product. Sometimes, I would want to resize pictures or apply filters and would get confused as to where the image has been saved or if it were indeed saved. However, it does seem to be getting easier to use in recent versions, as it contains a "revision history" for each uploaded file and an impressive list of adjustments in the image editor, which is a great addition when working on a different computer where the usual software might not be present. I still prefer using external applications when modifying pictures, but Mailchimp does allow to make pretty much any modification you might need and having access to a revision history makes it easy to go back to an earlier version of a file even without first making a backup of it.

Reviewed on 06/09/2018

A very strong email marketing tool that keeps you up to date with regulations

Overall, Mailchimp is a good tool for sending out email campaigns. It's simplicity has saved a lot of time and the way the contact lists are handled is superb. Some of the quirks I mentioned in the cons section are very frustrating but livable when weighed in with the pros. The recent GDPR regulations were a strain on our organization but getting our Mailchimp list compliant was the easiest part.

If your organization generally sends out one type of message or you don't have to worry about different divisions of your organization needing to have different settings, Mailchimp should work very well for you with very little issue. Our organization is more complicated with the need to send very different messages from different divisions and sub divisions so it is trickier for us to use. It would make sense for organizations like ours to have multiple, separate Mailchimp accounts but that would defeat the most important feature, which is the integrated contact list.

Pros

The best thing about Mailchimp is the ability to customize your target lists to ensure the right people are getting the right message. The days of going through spreadsheets to figure out who to send what are over and you never need to worry about sending the same person duplicate emails (unless they signed up to your list with different email accounts). The integration with social media is very convenient and really helps messages get an even further reach after they are sent. Also, having an archive of emails with many ways to view metrics on each of them as well as access to each recipient's behavior is very valuable.

Cons

The basic editor is very buggy so you have to be sure things look and work right every time. Even when you do make sure things work right in the preview, they sometimes don't in the actual email that goes out. When you cut and paste copy, it is unpredictable what the outcome will be because styles embedded in Mailchimp or the original document get easily mixed up. Most of these issues can be fixed if you go into the html view but who wants to do that when the purpose of the software is to help make things easier?

There are a lot of limits on what you can achieve with the look of the emails you create using the set blocks Mailchimp provides. A simple option like lining up images next to text either on top, middle or bottom should be present but is not. There are ways around this by editing your images to force the look you want but that should not have to be.

If you have more than one type of business, it is impossible to have some different social media accounts linked or different business info settings created for selection.

Aanchal J.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 28/07/2018

If a tool makes mailing (as a marketing channel) fun, it is undoubtedly value for money!

Mail-chimp combines advance features with fun & utility to present a wonderful mailing tool. There is no doubt that it is the best in the market and rightly so! I have tried using other mailing software; a non-tech person like me gets stuck with the UI at the very outset. Mail-Chimp is a piece of cake!!

Pros

I recently started using Mail Chimp to send across bulk mails for user acquisition and boy! I have never enjoyed bulk e-mails so much! Each mail sent to a batch (list of mail-IDs) is basically a campaign.
1) Once you upload a list of mails, the inbuilt tracker in mail-chimp displays how "active" the subscriber list is which is very useful.
2) I like how I can play around with the formatting options while designing my mails once I am through with the copy. The easy to use formatting options make you look forward to adorning the mails. Lots of in-built e-mail design templates to choose from!
3) Very systematic with each aspect of e-mailing. Upload list, design e-mail, preview it, put in the subject line and other info like intimating the user as to why the mail is being sent, send a test-email and there you have it!
4) Integrated with analytics - Shows open rate, click rate (in case of in-built links). Can be integrated with Google Analytics as well. The easy to use UI, fun features and options together make it a power package!
5) MailChimp's overall heavy usage across industries is indicated by the fact that Facebook Ads Manager provides a separate tab to import data directly from a MailChimp account.

Cons

1) It is quite expensive indicated by the fact that other mailing software have incorporated "A MailChimp Alternative" as their marketing message in their Google Ads! You really need to test the waters before you are sure that your mails are ready to go via paid MailChimp campaigns. The number of test e-mails (which is just 2000 per week) can be increased slightly though. It will enable a better judgement of whether the mails are working or not, before one goes ahead with purchasing an account.
2) The software only allows you to delete a subscriber list if it has not been used for 7 days or more. I can't quite understand the point. I would like to avail the option of deleting a list whenever I want to.
3) Limit on the option of inserting multiple Call-To-Actions (CTAs) in your mail. I think, just like any other formatting option, the user should be able to insert more than one CTA in their mails, if need be from the in-built CTA provided. In case, there is more than one CTA required, we have no choice but to go with an image and then later on hyperlink it.

Juan A.

Reviewed on 18/10/2021

We use this platform for a long time, the only thing is that it is not cheap

In general, the tool is considered by many as the best and most recognized tool for email marketing. Its main features like Customer Journey Builder + Branch Points make it stand out from the rest.

Within what I would highlight would be the advanced segmentation, the
multivariate tests and the flexible and easy to use comparative reports.
The only thing we did not like very much is that the price is a bit expensive.

Pros

What should first be highlighted about this tool is its extremely easy interface to create emails and all the tasks related to this, its high open rate also stands out. Another advantage is its marketing tools

Cons

I could say that it is almost perfect, but it has a big but, only problem. Its very high price

Zoho Mail and Benchmark Email

Reasons for Choosing Mailchimp

Basically for the price, all others feastures are very similar.

Benchmark Email

Reasons for Switching to Mailchimp

Initially due to its state-of-the-art features and functions
Joshua P.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 03/04/2020

Perfect low-cost solution for newsletters!

Our Mailchimp experience has proven to be reliable and simple enough to use. The sign-up forms for mailing lists are a neat tool and save us time manually entering new people to our contact list. I also like being able to resend the mailing to only those who did not open it.

Pros

Mailchimp’s free service is plenty for our needs. We have a mailing list of around 750 contacts, and this allows us a very professional presentation of our newsletters and updates at no cost. Even if we need to bump up to a paid account, the cost is much better than the software we previously used.

Cons

Two-factor login can sometimes be a slowdown, but I understand the need for it. We haven’t had any security issues, so I am happy to deal with the slowdown.

SimpleChurch CRM

Reasons for Choosing Mailchimp

The cost of Blackbaud was high and we didn’t need all the other features as It was redundant with other software we already use.

Blackbaud eTapestry

Reasons for Switching to Mailchimp

We wanted an easy way to separate our mailing lists at an affordable price.
Mike P.
  • Industry: Sports
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 10/01/2020

Mailchimp does what is averdtised

We have been able to consistently send email campaigns to many different subsets of customers with Mailchimp. I advise spending time up front on creating templates - webinar, product updates, system downtime, etc... which you only need to change dates, and titles/body/images; while keeping the email format and style consistent. This will allow you to spend no more than an hour per campaign, and keep a consistent stream of emails being sent to clients.

Keeping email lists updated is a simple process - set-up a way to pull your contacts from your database, and then put them into mail chimp.

We found that users who send emails could be trained by simply showing them the process once, which is a huge time saver and allows managers to delegate responsibility confidently.

You can send our draft emails to different team leads for review easily before sending an email campaign, which is a huge bonus for us, as we previously had gotten internal feedback from email campaigns after they were sent to clients, which strained our teams.

The email reliability has proven to be strong, and the statistics on campaign performance are helpful.

If you require an email campaign software, this is worth your consideration. Email campaigns do not need to be stressful, and this software establishes a paradigm of intuitive UX.

Pros

Mailchimp is very intuitive for users of varying degrees of technical ability.
It allows users to set-up email templates builder, contact lists, as well as future scheduled emails very quickly. All in, I as up running with a scheduled email campaign in 2.5 hours; which included time to design a template.

The email template builder (which allows you to construct an email with images, text, etc) does what it needs to. The software also quickly adjusts image resolution to ensure it is optimal for email. The mail merge (so you can personalize emails) is also very effective.

Cons

The editing of images in the email builder was inefficient; too many steps. They could benefit from considering the UX when adding and adjusting images to an email.

Intercom

Reasons for Switching to Mailchimp

Price, easy to use, and through recommendations from others.
Aaron B.
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 26/12/2019

Newsletters for Building Your Business' Future

Overall, Mailchimp has been a great additional to our nonprofit marketing arsenal. We frequently acquire new subscribers and feel that it is something that will help strengthen our appeal to new generations of donors.

Pros

The best thing about Mailchimp? It works. It helps that, once you become familiar with the mail management options, things are pretty polished and easier to leverage for quick messages. Templates are your friend. In the case of our company, we use Mailchimp to send out occasional newsletters which are basically an electronic version of a print version that we pay premium dollars to send out.

We love that Mailchimp allows us to appeal to an existing or potential donor base that is younger and more technologically fluent. We also love how easy it is for people to subscribe or unsubscribe and appreciate receiving regular reports on that sort of activity. This is the way of the future.

Cons

There is a bit of a learning curve to set up the first mail message - especially if you don't want it to appear as if you threw it together in minutes. Additionally, the mail management tools are either slightly unintuitive or just above the heads of those who are mildly technology challenged. To be fair, there are available FAQ's and other learning tools but these sometimes fall into the same category as the issues they attempt to resolve. But, bottom line, it should be as simple as uploading an Excel spreadsheet of contacts to establish your mailing list. It wasn't but it also wasn't a deal-breaker.

• Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 28/07/2018

Their instructions could be better, but I have found MailChimp to be a great resource.

Pros

I like that they offer free use for the 1st 2000 subscribers. That by itself is the #1 reason why anyone looking to start a subscription list should try MailChimp first.

2nd reason people should try it...MailChimp collecting peoples' email addresses and sending emails out from blog posts -- that just works great once you get things set up. And if you want to send out just a regular email - not something connected to a published blog post - that's even easier.

The 3rd thing I love is the ability to see who opens the emails and who doesn't. And some other helpful analytics about how people behave when they receive your email. You don't have to have a degree in statistics to understand the quick stats that MailChimp offers.

Cons

For some reason, the way they set up Campaigns and lists always slows me down. I don't know why. But if I have a client who wants me to do something quick, I have to slow down my thinking and figure out what part of either the Campaign or the list does that X task belong in first. An example: a client wanted me to have MailChimp mail something new out immediately to his recipients who subscribe to rss feeds. Here's where some time was lost: trying to determine how to avoid creating a new campaign for a one-off email to go to the list that receives rss feeds. We ended up posting on his blog, setting up a new time and date for MailChimp to search the website for new content (and then to send out), waiting for the email to get sent out, and then going back to the campaign to change the time when MailChimp sends out new posts. There's something a little clunky about it.

Editing of mail templates is ... trying. It's not rocket science to make your own template, but again there's a clunkiness there. I had a client who was extremely specific on the design. If I edited "blogs" template while in use for "Weds blogs" and then selected "blogs" template for a new campaign - "thurs blogs" the changes I made in the template assigned to Weds were not reflected
in Thurs blogs. CONFUSING!

Craig V.

Reviewed on 03/02/2021

Mailchimp has been vital to the success of our company

We switched to Mailchimp about 7 years ago and have never looked back. A substantial upgrade compared to other email marketing platforms we had experience with.

Pros

Creating email campaigns are a breeze and the functionality is intuitive.

Cons

Some features are a bit buried within the system.

Constant Contact and HubSpot CRM

Reasons for Choosing Mailchimp

Benchmark was failing us at the time and their customer service was non-existent.

Benchmark Email

The functionality and cost
  • Industry: Broadcast Media
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 03/05/2019

So easy that a chimp could use it...

It is so easy to use. You just plug in the information and attach images as needed. No special HTML coding like we had to use with our Outlook sometimes. Entering our mailing list was also a breeze since we had it imported. For Outlook, as I recall, I could only send at most to 500 email addresses at a time. Otherwise we would be considered spamming people. To be on the safe side I would send to no more than 450 people at a time. When we had bouncebacks I had to manually remove people's email addresses. This all took up so much of my time and my inbox. Mailchimp streamlines all of this ad simplifies my work life. I don't use this at my current job but would definitely recommend for smaller businesses if they want to save their time.

Pros

Okay, that was a bad attempt at trying to parody the Geico/caveman commercials, and an insult to chimps. But I wanted to highlight how easy it was to use. I used this at an old job of mine (a 3-person office) at a non-profit organization. Because my boss was stuck in her ways for the longest time she didn't want to get with the times. She didn't utilize social media to promote our shows (I worked in theatre), she kept reaching out to the same schools and community organizations year after year. It wasn't until we had a new employee who took over fundraising and marketing that Mailchimp was implemented. Before that we kept using the same template in Outlook to send out newsletters. It was clunky to use and not very appealing to the receiver.

Enter Mailchimp. It has such a simple, eye-catching, dashboard, and user interface yet it looked professional. Many theatre organizations I am on the mailing list of use Mailchimp as a standard. It's so standard we see the template all the time.

Cons

For the free version you are not able to send to more than 2000 email addresses, which worked for us because we didn't have that many (which is unfortunate for us, but that's besides the point). And as mentioned under the 'Pros' section, it's so standard that you see the same template all the time so it gets a little old and if you are trying to be unique while using the free version, then you won't get far.

Lorrie G.
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Reviewed on 25/10/2020

Best way to customize email templates for your own desire

I had a remarkably good interaction with Mailchimp. This functioned well with our Marketing automation, and its marketing and sales departments backed it very well. We also used Mailchimp for support digital marketing activities and to push feedback and test applications for applications. The business continues to expand through every one of our period with mailchimp, and it has been incredible success.

Pros

I really like flexibility and usability of dragging and dropping of components that you should apply to every email marketing campaign . I always like the design functions to customize the email layout with your own visual style. In addition, that is of specific importance for the interaction to still be able to provide references, images, etc. specifically in the promotion. It is therefore very easy to handle the participant list. Categorizing various members in the community is also important for our own use.

Cons

Sales prices agreements limited us to an amount per monthly of messages and contacts. We also had to begin discussing how we might reduce our email marketing strategies, which remain hopeful to be profitable. I believe that with each price plan they really have to maximize connections and transfers within email marketing

Elizabeth S.
  • Industry: Civic & Social Organization

Reviewed on 11/03/2020

Worth the Money!

I've used mailchimp in the past to automate and track my marketing. The analytics are easy to follow and understand, which males tracking engagements and new subscribers a breeze, and the template choices as well as click and paste style customization options are really nice and super user friendly, even for folks who arent familiar with web design or online content creation. My boss was leery at first, as the cost of mailchimp is a bit high vs other services and products of it's kind. I was able to show him in black an white at the end of the free trial list how valuable an asset mailchimp was for our business.

Pros

With several options at varying prices, you can choose to use as simply a platform to send out email blasts/newsletters to your subscribers or go big and opt to automate most of your marketing needs. There are also varying levels of use in between. Mailchimp is awesome. Because you can customize the level of use based on company needs and budget.

Cons

It's a bit pricey. I had a hard time convincing the heads of the nonprofit where I work that this was a necessary expense.

Constant Contact and HubSpot Marketing Hub

Reasons for Switching to Mailchimp

Esther than use several.products (ie hubspot crm plus constant contact plus adobe) I love that you get the benefits of several different products all in one !
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 16/02/2021

Good all-rounder (with privacy concerns)

With MailChimp, even people who are not programmers can build responsive (HTML) newsletters that display well and relatively the same in all major email clients/apps. Sounds banal, but it's not so lapidary. And even with deeper HTML and CSS knowledge, I'm grateful that I don't have to worry about the compatibility of my newsletters.

Pros

I found the start in MailChimp relatively easy. I quickly got my first results and was also taken by the hand over and over again in places. It comes with an extensive, but clear database of help articles for almost any question. MailChimp is a very powerful email marketing tool and is very consistently developed on an ongoing basis.

Cons

MailChimp is only available in English. Almost everything that the mail recipients (e.g. customers) see can be translated, however (German translated texts are also already available, but I adapt them partly because some are really bad/wrong or incomprehensible). Important for companies: in my personal opinion, the use of MailChimp is currently (09/2020) from a data protection point of view questionable to indefensible, because there is just strictly speaking no simple legal basis to give user data to a US service (which is defacto always the case with email marketing). If you don't want to take any risks, it's better to use a European provider on European servers.

Varun K.

Reviewed on 06/08/2018

A good e-mail marketing platform that can be used by beginners or small businesses.

Pros

A very strong spam filter, that has factors updated regularly in accordance with their restrictive sending policies. A new version of the application is updated every month. They provide an all in one dashboard, where we can find all the tips and they don’t bombard the dashboard with all the redundant options. They provide templates, customizable according to clients and business requirements. The built-in preview feature is very helpful. You don’t need to have the much technical knowledge to build a complex design. Your information is automatically merged to your account from your websites and pages. The application is very simple to use and provides easy navigation throughout. You can set up the lists and schedule tasks quickly, and with ease. It has built-in analytics, where you can check the click and open rates. We can switch and manage multiple accounts at a time. You can test all your initiatives by the A/B testing feature.

Cons

The number of test emails is very minimal. The application is not great for serious digital marketers, it only suits the beginners. The application is very costly if you have a huge customer database. Not suitable for complicated marketing workflows. The customer service and support team aren't very responsive.