AbacusLaw Reviews

About AbacusLaw

AbacusLaw is case automation software designed explicitly for law firms. The system works as a complete practice management solution that helps in managing workflows including time tracking, billing, and accounting operations....

3.6
3.8
3.7

Browse AbacusLaw Reviews

J. Michael
J. Michael

Reviewed on 07/08/2018

Customizable Software and Amazing Support

Every single person I've dealt with at Abacus, from initial sale to professional services to tech support, has been patient, professional, knowledgeable, and effective. I've dealt with too many companies who virtually disappear after making the sale. The people at Abacus are nothing like that; their service and support are first rate.

Pros

The software uses a customizable database structure, so you can create or modify forms and fields to make them relevant for the types of cases you handle. In areas where aspects of the program are not wholly intuitive, Abacus's knowledge base and online instructional videos are very helpful. Abacus tech support is amazing.

Cons

AbacusLaw links to MS Outlook, but not to any other email/calendar client (and I had to quit Outlook for another more reliable email/calendar solution because Outlook is extremely problematic in key, basic areas). I feel like I should be able to drop an email message from any email application -- or any file, for that matter -- into an AbacusLaw matter. I do wish the client portal (for exchanging documents with clients) were available.

Reviewed on 11/09/2018

Great legal software

It's been very good for our firm, as it really has great calendaring and reminder features. The user interface is very easy to understand and assists all of us with keeping the pleadings, documents and correspondence well-organized. I had one issue and the tech support assisted me immediately and then followed up to make sure my issue had been resolved.

Pros

I really enjoy how easy this software is to use by everyone in the office, attorneys. paralegals, and assistants. The software enables our office to keep our clients' files very organized and easily accessible. The calendaring is essential to our litigation practice as everything is streamlined and managed in a very logical manner. I am an attorney and the technology is geared for all of the legal professions and types of practices.

Cons

It has so many great features that i have not been able to utilize it to its full capacity as of yet.

Lindsey

Reviewed on 14/11/2019

Hands down would NOT buy

I would highly recommend choosing a different case management software. The program does not feel like it was designed by attorney's, and the company clearly wants to lock users in to a long term contract because they know their product is inferior and it is the only way they can retain their customer base.

Pros

I really have not found anything I like about this software. If I had to pick something, I would say the timer function works fairly well.

Cons

This software is the worst case management software I have used. The software repeatedly freezes and it is not intuitive or user friendly. Billing, which ties into AbacusAccounting, is extremely difficult to use. Unlike in other software, you cannot just edit a pre-bill with ease. It also lacks the integration that other software has. When you take into account the long term contract of five years, the inability to terminate that contract without buying it out, and the terrible customer service, the product actually costs you more than any time you would theoretically save using it. Furthermore, you are permitted to add users but never to cancel a user, effectively meaning if your Firm face a downturn, you would still be locked in to pay for users no longer with the Firm.

Response from CARET

Hello Lindsey,

We're sorry to hear you're experiencing issues with AbacusLaw. We want every user to see the benefits of our products and design our offerings with your interests in mind. One of the best ways to make the most of your technology and see positive ROI is to invest in product training.

Your customer success manager will be reaching out to you soon to check in and escalate any issues to our Support team.

All the best,

The team at AbacusNext

Replied 15/11/2019

Top AbacusLaw Alternatives

Reviewed on 09/09/2018

Abacus Review

I like most of the features and options, but have concerns about time issues. It really concerns me that employees could potentially "create billing time" when there is no client work being prepared.

Pros

The ability to locate a client and find all the information needed in one place and the ability to use the portal with ease.

Cons

Three things:

1.I don't like that employees can just input time. We want the timer used but this allows them just to input time.

2. Billing and Invoicing - We don't bill our clients for phone conversations, but for our records we need to keep track of time. If we don't bill them, but have time entered for it, the invoice is gapped and looks unprofessional.
3. The calendar not allowing recurrences to sync with Outlook. We have had several issues with this and it is a concern when scheduling if employees are out of the office and are not able to sync.

Susan
Susan

Reviewed on 15/08/2018

The Goods and the Bads of Abacus

Pros

On the law side of Abacus it is substantially a good system to use. The organization, ease of use, and the multiple tools allow the law side to run smooth and easy with little to no problems. Things such as client entry, event posting, and much more have become much easier over time with the multiple updates and fixes. Overall the law side software is a well created system.

Cons

The Accounting side of Abacus has many little problems within it that overall cause the functionality of abacus to become less effective. Things such as tables not communicating with each other and the software crashing due to simple tasks such as voiding checks are some of the many problems that occurs. Without fixing these issues, the overall effectiveness and efficiency of abacus accounting will only continue to diminish.

Samuel

Reviewed on 23/03/2020

Abacus Can Help

Pros

We have used Abacus since 2010, so 10 years. Abacus helped us to automate law billing. The program also features an excellent data base for notes as well as emails per client. It is fast in terms of locating electronic documents. Its technical support is also helpful.

Cons

The biggest feature to improve would be Abacus message slips. I have been trying for over a year to fix the app's propensity to suddenly disappear and then, days later, inform me of the number of messages I have received. BIlling software can be improved dramatically to make it more user friendly.

Clio

Reasons for Choosing AbacusLaw

2010

Reasons for Switching to AbacusLaw

The other programs were cloud based and the effort to retool to one of those seemed to be way too expensive. In addition, I particularly like the data based system Abacus offers, which categorizes documents, emails to and from clients per matter. Neither Clio or Practice Panther offered this feature.

Response from CARET

Hi Samual,

We are sorry for the issues you've run into with AbacusLaw and messaging. We have escalated your issue to our client services team and you will be hearing from the team shortly. We sincerely would like to make sure you are set up properly for success with our product.

The AbacusNext Team

Replied 25/03/2020

Reviewed on 11/01/2018

Ugh. I use it because I don't feel I have a better option...

The cost vs other comparable software is the primary reason why this software was chosen. Additionally (just as important to us) is that the data is stored on our network and not the cloud.

Pros

The legal billing and trust accounting functions are great. However, the rest of the accounting functionality really stinks.

I like how for billing, you can schedule a bill to e-mail or print and it automatically does it (e/m or print) when you finalize the bills.

Cons

I'm used to QuickBooks. I hate that I can't drill down to detail from reports. I hate that I can't type a vendor's name when I tab to the field when entering A/P (you have to open the search window and search for the vendor...there's no way to fully navigate through data entry without taking your hands off the keyboard).

Data between the "Law" program and the "Accounting" program becomes "out of sync" frequently. There's a script to run to attempt to fix it, but it takes hours to run.

Reviewed on 03/05/2019

Straightforward legal calendaring software

Pros

Simple calendaring software, which is all I need to schedule upcoming hearings and deadlines. I don't really use the bells and whistles beyond that.

Cons

No real cons. My use isn't that in depth, but it works well for the simple calendaring that I use it for.

Response from CARET

To our valued client,

Thanks so much for taking the time to review AbacusLaw. It's very important to us to create a good user experience for our end users, so we're glad to hear we're delivering on that promise.

Thank you for your patronage. We look forward to being of service for many years to come.

Best,

Katie Ternes
Marketing Coordinator
AbacusNext
(858) 882-4882

Replied 06/05/2019

Reviewed on 10/10/2018

Long Time AbacusLaw user

The flexibility in creating rules for events is a great tool. For a solo practitioner AbacusLaw is a godsend.

Pros

Completing forms and inputting data is easy and intuitive. Being able to keep track of events in AbacusLaw is so much easier than with other programs i have used (like Outlook).

Cons

Some forms are not compatible with Dragon Naturally Speaking which is frustrating.

Reviewed on 23/08/2018

Abacus review

It's nice to always have our contacts and cases in one place. There are still many things we need to learn to use this program to its full potential.

Pros

Everything is in one program and able to access it all easily

Cons

We always have problems with our updates each year. Abacus is really good about fixing it but still a pain to have to call tech support to get it fixed.

Michelle

Reviewed on 08/01/2018

Worst Experience Ever. If I could give zero stars I would!

Do not make the mistake of believing that this product will do anything for you other than cause you countless hours of grief.

Pros

Any pros of this software are so far outweighed by the cons that they are not worthy of even mention.

Cons

This software is absolutely horrible. I had high hopes for this software after having been given rave reviews about Amicus Attorney and calling to get more information. The salesperson convinced me that after describing my firm's needs, we were better suited for Abacus, which was owned by the same company. After purchasing the software, it took more than 8 months for them to figure out how to migrate our data from our existing billing software, a process that they represented they were very familiar with during the sales calls. When we finally made the transition to this software we quickly learned that it is not at all user-friendly, they provide no guidance on how to use the software or how to set it up, large portions of data mysteriously changes by itself (today the originating attorneys on hundreds of our chases mysteriously changed to reflect the names of our support staff members). The calendaring system is supposed to be able to sync seamlessly with Outlook. This is a joke. Items randomly disappear from attorneys' calendars or appear on the wrong attorneys calendars, when entered. Some items sync from Abacus to Outlook and others don't with no rhyme or reason. Their call center is horrible. You cannot get the same person on the phone twice, and you cannot request to speak with a particular person so there is no consistency of service. Each time you call to describe a problem you are having, you have to start from the beginning because they do not keep any records of your past calls. The people who answer the phone have no idea how the software works and always tell you that they have to research your question and get back to you. Oftentimes you never receive a call back and when you do they still don't know how to assist you. I could go on and on...

mary

Reviewed on 14/06/2023

The program has become worst than ever!

The program always had issues but over the last year or two, the customer service has been dismal and the problems have been increasing. When the problems have to do with accounting records, it is very impactful and time consuming to fix. It has been a disruption to our daily work without any resolution to the existing issues.

Pros

The program strives to assist with case management, billing and accounting - all within one program, but falls VERY short of achieving its intended goals.

Cons

It is the worst time-consuming inefficient and ineffective program I have had to work with. I've dealt with them for over 12 years and it is getting worst rather than better. It has cost me more money in lost time than I have paid for the program itself. Customer service is also horrible, with no responses being received as to emails, calls, scheduled appointments being missed, etc. The program glitches are a daily issue that slows down work productivity. Unfortunately having all of our records in the program makes the jump to another program complicated so best advice: do not use ABACUS!

Response from CARET

Hi Mary, we're very sorry to hear that your experience with AbacusLaw is not living up to your expectations. We will be sure to pass along this feedback to our team and use it to continuously improve our services.

Replied 02/08/2023
Kate
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 18/05/2020

Abacus Law is not a good product

Really terrible. We have had an unworkable system and yet we are expected to still pay $860 a month and they have our prior cloud services and files held hostage and refuse to release files. DO NOT USE ABACUS LAW!

Pros

We have had the worst customer service. The program has constant problems (not synching, billing is a nightmare, lost entries) and it has cost my firm $100k in lost billing and administrative time on hold trying to reach the support team.

Cons

Billing, mobile app, customer service,. In fact, I can’t think of a single aspect of this program that has worked well without issue or that I would say I liked.

Response from CARET

Hi Kate,

We are so sorry to hear you've had a bad experience. I have raised your concerns to our client services leadership team. We would like to make sure you are set up properly for success with our solutions.

Sincerely,
The AbacusNext Team

Replied 22/05/2020
Jane

Reviewed on 07/05/2021

Good but could be improved in certain areas

We need to store a lost of data related to the health care sector. Abacus was not designed for our specific needs but we have incorporated our needed information into your field ranges. Its not perfect but works.
We bought your product mostly because of the email feature. That has not worked well.

Pros

It captures all of the data we need. The queries work well. Your support team is fairly fast to respond and when they do respond most of the people we have dealt with speak English quite well. As a person with hearing issues, this is extremely important to me.

Cons

The emailing feature needs to be improved. Constant issues with trying to add links, photos, logos or graphics, can't add attachments. We do a mass newsletter monthly and almost always have issues. We want our newsletters to look better more eye catching but with this program we can only send boring basic emails with little chance of catching the readers attention.
If we want to do something with graphics, logos, links, or add attachments we have to do a query and export the email addressing into an excel spreadsheet then do batches of emails in Outlook.
This is our biggest complaint with Abacus.

Julie

Reviewed on 29/08/2018

Would like more training (i.e. a weekly "how to" e-mail that is short and sweet with something...

The out of the ordinary task I was assigned frustrated me for several hours before I reached out for assistance. But when I did reach out, the assistance was there. It was something I could do, I just needed guidance. The executive from Abacus not only guided me through the process, but he explained what I was doing as we worked through to completion of the task and how it worked so I could easily do on my own the next time. Today, I had to go back in and add another search element and was able to do so without the frustration as before. I understood how it worked, and to clone what was already working so I didn't lose what had been done but improved upon it. Thank you very much for the help AND suggestion to clone before editing!

Pros

It combines calendar (both legal and non-legal), accounting and legal / case management into one area. Legal forms are updated regularly. Notes can be made addressing each case progress and conflict of interest checks are easily manageable. Automatic population is convenient when working on new matters under regular clients. The help line has always been quick, easy and convenient. Every person I have ever spoken with has been of great assistance, without hesitation. Thank you.

Cons

It is difficult (for me) to figure out the help through the on line directions to complete an out of the ordinary task.

M Patricia

Reviewed on 29/11/2016

DO NOT FALL FOR THIER EXCELLENT SALES PITCH

This was probably the worst decision I have made in my 38 year career. Our firm is still not operational and we've been working with them for six months. The main issue is that Abacus will not connect from San Diego to Colorado: the internet based program shuts down suddenly and your work is missing if you have not saved it on your server (outside of the Abacus program). This is a problem if you are on a deadline. When we brought that to Abacus attention, they blamed a third party connection. We had our IT guy call the third party but because we are not customers of the third party, they would not talk to us. So basically we are paying for a program that does not work AND Abacus wont fix it or even contact the third party with whom they contract for the connection. Furthermore, the migration of my billing program to Abacus billing was a nightmare as Abacus loaded the trust account into the operating account as a credit, i.e. zero in trust. Once they sorted that out, the billing program would not accept payments from clients. My bookkeeper was on the phone with Abacus techs for countless hours trying to work that out to no avail. Finally I sent them a certified letter terminating the contract for cause and guess what? Action! now I had ten technicians working on the multiple issues trying to get it all resolved. But that took time and my attorneys were required to spend literally hours on the phone with these guys. Billable hours lost, meant they did not get their bonuses this month, as well as the firm lost revenue. To make matters worse, the response from Abacus was that it was our fault because our attorneys were non responsive: a complete lie, unless you want to complain that sometimes our attorneys are in court handling actual client matters and cannot be on the phone with them while they are doing actual attorney work. Emails are still floating in cyberspace, not received. Printers don't work. etc etc. My choice is to litigate in another state -- completely untenable. Don't be stupid. Upgrade your server and stick with your current billing program.

Pros

Great sales pitch. If the program worked, it is a lawyers dream. It doesn't.

Cons

The program does not connect and shuts down. Then you cannot do anything. It does not operate.

Richard

Reviewed on 08/12/2016

Very disappointing experience with Abacus

Abacus Law in the Abacus Private Cloud is the 4th practice management software that I have used over the past 20 years. Far and away is the worst experience that I have had with practice management software. Many everyday functions take multiple steps where they need only take one. Some features, especially search features, just don't work. In two years I have seen no meaningful improvements in the software. Abacus makes its real money selling you their cloud services and once you commit to putting your data on their Cloud, it gets very hard to move away. I considered transitioning to Amicus Attorney because Abacus has recently merged with Amicus and I was assured for months that a migration was doable, only to learn months later that Abacus will not provide migration to Amicus. The two camps definitely have not gotten on the same page.

Pros

At this point, nothing.

Cons

APC is a problematical environment to have to work in all day. Abacus Law and especially Abacus Accounting are primitive, highly inefficient.

Response from CARET

Capterra is a distinguished platform for users to share reviews of software products, and we respect the forum as a place for serious technical reviews made without self-interest or aggrandizement. The tone and tenor of your review indicates that you are very unhappy with our product, and while we would love to have you stay with us, we want you to make the best decision for your firm. We would be happy to help remedy your situation. At your earliest convenience, please contact us at 858-882-1794.

Cheers, Abacus

Replied 18/01/2017
Alissa

Reviewed on 19/05/2020

Abacus Law is not user friendly, but it is very usefull

Overall, I use it daily and rely on it. I have had some frustrations with it's interaction with outlook and emails. I have had frustrations as outlined above. I do like it, but wish it were more intuitive and usefull in that way.

Pros

I like the ability to track action and save emails and contact for each client. Also, to track deadlines and tickles on the calendar.

Cons

Use of the reports (figuring out correct useful report or creating report), integration with merging letters and documents, and customizing the screens is extremely cumbersome, difficult, time consuming and is not intuitive. I spent several hours as well as time on the phone and on the learning video figuring out merging form letters and documents. However, when I did figure it out, I found out that some of the Word Documents will not work with abacus. I am still not able to determine why some work and some don't. I don't have time to spend on additional document creation.

I also had a deadline not show up on the DEADSOL report because it was coded slightly differently. This is major problem if minor coding error makes the deadline invisible.

Reviewed on 16/06/2017

Been with them for almost 10 years and each version gets better and better

Most important... CONSOLIDATION! Abacus Law integrated the case management, "tickler" by rule, forms, contacts, matter, ACCOUNTING AND BILLING, all into a single easy to use and learn package. Changes in one area and iterated throughout the software. We almost never and disparate or duplicate data. Well Done!

Pros

Ease of use, consistency in operation, great support. In nearly our entire use, different versions and our transition to the "cloud" last year, our up-time has been nearly 99%. I was worried about transitioning to APC (cloud), but the support and transition and setup was painless and well executed. Our employees barely noticed the difference, but for, the Remote Desktop link... Very well done!

Cons

There are a few very minor custom things, but overall, nothing worth mentioning. As I said, I have been a happy customer for about 10 years, seen the growing pains, and various upgraded and improvements, each being better than the previous. We've been quite pleased.

Response from CARET

We appreciate your enthusiasm and thank you for your feedback! It has been a pleasure to serve you over the past decade.

Replied 16/06/2017
Sharenda

Reviewed on 27/09/2018

Abacus - a comprehensive program

Overall Abacus has saved me a tremendous amount of time. Prior to its use, we were using three programs to do the work of Abacus, which meant entering basic information in three different programs and inputting data from one program into another to run reports, do billing, etc. Abacus has saved us a great deal of time.

Pros

I like the fact that Abacus Law and Abacus Accounting work so well together. Everything integrates nicely which saves me a lot of time. I also like the fact that tech support is local (in San Diego), speaks English, and is (almost) always available.

Cons

Our software developed a "glitch" quite some time ago and neither tech support, nor the engineering staff, were able to resolve it. It's still there, and it keeps throwing me error messages, but the program works in spite of it. Our main complaint is that we would like to upgrade to the new version of Abacus, but it does not work offline, so we've had to stay with the older version. (Internet in our area of town goes down frequently, and our practice is very Abacus-dependent.)

Alisha

Reviewed on 24/07/2018

We feel very supported with Abacus and enjoy glitch free work days 99% of the time.

It saves time and makes the coordination of tasks among staff more efficient. The database organization is simple to use and explore.

Pros

It is easy to learn and the customer service/software support people are very knowledgeable if something doesn't make sense. The software is very intuitive and saves lots of time. Saving time means getting more work done in a day. It is reasonably priced for the initial investment, and the support is a considerable value when softwares other than Abacus update and functionality changes. We moved our office 2 years ago, and taking Abacus along and getting us set up in our new location was EASY! Adding and replacing equipment has been seamless, like new PCs, phones, and/or laptops. The Abacus team is amazing!

Cons

Sometimes the updates come at the most inopportune times. It would be better if we could chose when to update things more in coordination with IT personnel for major updates.

Dominic

Reviewed on 12/05/2021

Abacus

Great case management solution. Makes practice automation much easier. I've been a user since 2006 because it works!

Pros

Abacuslaw is easy to use (even for lawyers), easy to setup and provides a central case management solution incorporating everything our practice needs from document generation and management, diary/calendar (rules-based features too to help with case workflow), email integration, etc. It is versatile enough to keep us on top of our litigation work (95%) of our practice, but we can also customize its features to handle our estates/real estate files. Keep up the good work.

Cons

I generally hate software that requires an ongoing subscription or nickels and dimes you for every added feature, but Abacuslaw is tolerable in that regard.

Bill

Reviewed on 21/07/2015

Eight years and going strong

With 250,000 users they must be doing something right! I suspect that those of us without issues don't bother to comment. It makes sense that if you have had a problem then you squawk about it. I know I do!

Our firm has been using this product for over eight years. In recommending it to another firm I came across these reviews. I could not disagree more. Like any system it takes some training. We hired an outside instructor to come in for two days to train. Once we got the basics down we grew with it. The nice feature it comes with is that every time you log in, it gives you tips for the day that expand your knowledge or remind you of something you may have fogotten.

The features that I appreciate most are linking your emails from Outlook to the matters file. That is an enormous time saver. The notes file is likewise extremely useful in refreshing your memory on things that have transpired. Both come with a preview of the content similar to your email.

It makes life easy and certain with the current forms embedded for civil matters and court forms.
The home screen might not be as pretty as some but it is very simple to understand and use. Documents get scanned and saved to the matters file with ease. Overall there is nothing about our personal I jury cases I can't put my hands on quickly. And remotely when I am out of the office.

Some have complained about customer service. I guess that is a universal complaint we all have with almost software company. But honestly, when our IT guy gets on the phone with them and they speak the same language, we have never had a problem.

I could not run our firm without Abacus.

Response from CARET

Hi Mr. Robinson, Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback, and thank you for being one of our valued clients. With over 30 years of service, we¿ve learned from our most successful clients that it takes much more than a simple software product to build and grow a successful Law Firm. We value your insight, and are committed to providing all of our clients with a comprehensive suite of fully managed legal technology products and services to help guarantee the integrity and security of their sensitive data, as well as to enable their success and ultimate performance. Best, The Abacus Team

Replied 09/12/2015
Candice

Reviewed on 18/05/2020

AbacusLaw is a essential tool for Offices

My over all experience has been great. I can see the work staff on a daily, weekly, or monthly schedule and assign task with ease.

Pros

The ease of use for this software makes it a wonderful program to use with our company.

Cons

Too many steps to edit some entries, and also if someone adds a change to the schedule, you may not see the update quick. You have to refresh the program and maybe if there was a flashing icon that lets you know there was a change in the schedule it may be easier to see it.

Response from CARET

Hi Candice!

My name is Natalie and I'm on the Marketing Team at Abacus. I wanted to reach out and say thank you for the feedback! It's great to hear that AbacusLaw has been a great resource for you during this crazy time.

I wanted to reach out to see if you would be interested in being one of our first customers to film a video review? We'd love to include you in this cool new project!

Please let me know if you are interested!

Natalie

Replied 07/07/2020
Valerie

Reviewed on 10/10/2018

AbacusLaw Review

We have used AbacusLaw for at least the 18 years I have been employed and are very satisfied with the product. Helps to keep our office on top of calendaring events for our litigation cases, i.e., meetings, discovery deadlines, depositions and trials.

Pros

I work for a small firm, so we only using the calendaring system. I do like the ease of going into the calendar and just clicking on a particular day to enter my calendar event. I especially like the software for preparing trial calendars.

Cons

When I print my weekly calendar and there is a holiday that week, I have to remove "holiday" in order to print the full information for the holiday event (i.e., Court and Office Closed), otherwise it cuts it off. Once I print the calendar I have to go back in to add the holiday back, so it will continue to show up for the following year. Not a major problem, just a little inconvenient.