About Slack

Slack is a cloud-based project collaboration and team interaction tool designed to facilitate communication across organizations. The solution caters to various industries, including media, research, technology, education,...

Browse Slack Reviews

21,489 of 21,491 reviews
Karen

Reviewed on 27/06/2022

Realtime notifications

I use slack with the finance teams of the clients I work with. We use slack to send questions and get rapid responses.

Pros

I work with clients all around the world, Slack is the best communication tool I have used. I am able to finish projects faster and more accurately with clients that use Slack than when using Email.

Cons

Switching from businesses is some what complicated in the mobile app.

I changed jobs

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Not a lot of clients wanted to use teams and some feel like teams is spying on them.
Goran
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Reviewed on 29/06/2022

The only way to communicate within a team

I use it for all manners of communication with my team - from quick huddles when we get stuck and need a rubber ducky moment, to bigger team meetings. We have groups for smaller teams to collaborate in, we have fun channels to blow off steam, and we even use it for the food train organization.

Pros

It is easy to use and feels natural. For us coming from Discord or IRC, it is very intuitive to understand how to use it without any learning curve whatsoever. Slack helps me connect with coworkers, share project updates, send cat photos to my team, send random funny quotes, gifs, reactions, all of it still in a very professional application that handles all of my communication needs.

Cons

Slack sometimes becomes too much, but it is easy to mute it to focus on work so this is easily solveable.

Reasons for Choosing Slack

Discord is a gaming software and with our company becoming more serious, we wanted a more serious solution.

Discord

Reasons for Switching to Slack

As we later learned and originally suspected, Microsof Teams is much harder to use and is much less intuitive and fun.
Matija
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Used Monthly for Free Trial

Reviewed on 08/08/2022

Comunication tool for biger projects

We use it for specific international project and overall we receive what we wanted: faster connection than email and quick tool for sharing the documents.

Pros

Segmentation of the channels for specific parts of the project and easy drag and drop tool for attachments.

Cons

Need for a daily login from all members of the project and understanding how channels are working.

Basecamp, monday.com and Asana

Reasons for Switching to Slack

More people new about Slack then about other tools.

Top Slack Alternatives

Abhinav

Reviewed on 12/05/2022

Best Tool for Team Management and Coordination

Overall I love to use it and provided it has the support of integration with almost all of my tools it works as notification engine too which is one of the awesome parts of this tool.

Pros

Slack is my daily used software for all the team meetings and sharing work details. I like it has all the features built-in that are necessary for an enterprise team management from sharing of files and chatting to video or audio conferencing.

Cons

The support team is slow in case of any problem tho hardly we face any issue with this software it's highly reliable and one of the best things I use on daily basis.

Google Chat, Trello, Zoom Meetings and Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Choosing Slack

I love the overall look and feel of slack and its support for integrations.

Google Chat and Microsoft Teams
  • Industry: Chemicals

Reviewed on 07/07/2022

Slack is the ultimate team-discourse application

Slack has drastically increased our workplace productivity, especially by promoting communication between those that work in the office, and those that work at home.

Pros

Slack manages to maintain a comfortable work-home boundary with the introduction of different channels. The ability to create "private" channels within a workspace also helps to build community. File sharing is convenient and easy to understand, and the notification settings are remarkable.

Cons

Often if a notification is received on one device (i.e. laptop) it will not always push to another (i.e. phone)

More secure.

Discord

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Convenience and use by the rest of the university.
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 04/08/2022

Slack: One App to Rule Them All

I first started using Slack when it was new, back in 2013. It revolutionized my team's workflow and we were able to collaborate and expedite web design projects much more quickly. I now use it with a massive global team, and I cannot imagine using anything else.

Pros

Slack offers a complete centralized solution for project management and team messaging.

Cons

On large teams, the sheer amount of channels can be overwhelming. But Slack does offer ways to tidy things up.

Basecamp

Reasons for Choosing Slack

Basecamp did not offer the robust messaging and integration tools Slack offered, with a clean interface.

Basecamp

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Slack was easy to use, right out of the box!

Reviewed on 07/07/2022

Great for Remote Workplaces!

I used slack during a fellowship that I was accepted for. The workplace comprised of people from all over the globe and slack was an excellent tool to bring us all together. 10/10 would recommend for remote work

Pros

Ability to join multiple groups
Ability to choose notification preferences
Pinned posts for each group assist with ease of access of important information
Easy location of company team members chats through the search bar
Reaction emojis for posts

Cons

Initial learning curve with first introduction to the platform but my community manager provided a comprehensive introduction video so it wasn’t too difficult to learn how to use

Reviewed on 01/07/2022

One of the best communication tools

there are many features I like about slack like huddle features especially and chatting features, user profile,

Pros

I like the most about slack is this.

1. support third-party plugins like Figma, google calendar, google drive, todo, Jira, GitHub notifier, and many more.
2. Search is fast compared to other chat communication tools.
3. huddle features for connecting people with screen sharing.

Cons

need to improve the user interface. that looks like too much is provided but we do not need all things. so increases complexity. so, give inside setting on-off features for what is not required as default features.

Muhammad
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Slack

Slack is the best platform for remote jobs as it provides us to make different channels within the company the channels could be private, public or shared

Pros

it allows us to make channels within the company
Channels could be public-private and shared

Cons

Conversations get deleted after 14 days
It provides minimum file storage

Vinod

Reviewed on 12/07/2022

Good for community building

Overall experience is quite productive and helped in organizing the team communication very well.

Pros

The best thing about slack is team collaboration and communication. The group and categories based on topic is quite good and help in segregation of content based on priority. Under these thread our discuasion is quite good.

Cons

Some video call features would make it more appealing .

Pranav
  • Industry: Design

Reviewed on 10/08/2022

The Ultimate Tool to Work From Home!

Slack enables me to coordinate all my Meetings and Team communications in a very professional Manner. It has been a great platform to share our files. Screen sharing is another add on worth it.

Pros

Slack is a well thought platform for Entrepreneurs to use and be more efficient in a timely manner. Working from home, this tool has enabled me to work everything out on a single software and this saves me a lot of time.

Cons

Concerning the Drawbacks, i have not quite found any yet, it is very user friendly and everyday you learn something new about the various features it has.

Zoom Meetings

Reasons for Choosing Slack

Slack is the New Youth Tool. Skype is like the Old Grandfather who is fading away now.

Skype

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Because Slack has been everything what we were looking for in a software. We are quite impressed.
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Reviewed on 15/08/2022

Experience after 3 years of useing Slack

Slack demonstrates a strong scientific link, particularly when used for internal company communication. Slack is also user-friendly, with an easy-to-use layout and a login interaction with LinkedIn. Furthermore, as compared to other programs, this application is quite light on computers and phones.

Pros

It is highly handy for this application to combine login with Linkin, which helps to improve connection possibilities while eliminating many redundant login processes. Also, because Slack is cross-platform (desktop, Android, and iOS), everyone in my firm can communicate with one another regardless of device. Furthermore, the possibility to connect to other storage services like Dropbox, Google Drive, GitHub... Slack's free plan allows users to save up to 10,000 messages exchanged by the team, 5GB of storage, and connect up to 5 additional carrier services.

Cons

The storage of messages only takes place for a short time and it is necessary to update the paid application versions to use more features. This makes the free version quite limited and unpopular for long-term storage of information.

Redmine and Zendesk

Reasons for Choosing Slack

Slack presents more versatility than telegram and is easier to use.

Telegram

Reasons for Switching to Slack

I went through all the possible applications to find the most user-friendly channel in my software company. Done Slack clearly shows multi-app friendliness so I chose it.
Bhavik Singh

Reviewed on 19/07/2022

Slack: The Tool That Sent Email Conversations Packing

The main problems we're solving is to do with communication. Since all our team members are working from the comforts of their homes, we need a place to sync all the time. Slack provides that platform. It's the place we convene and dismiss. Slack feels like home now. Everybody's connected and readily available.

Pros

Slack is one of the tools I didn't care about until I learned about it. And ever since I did, I've come to appreciate its awesomeness. Working in a SaaS company, with a work-from-home culture, software like Slack feels like an Elixr. There are no hassles when it comes to communication... No email. Simply interact and get the job done. The feature I like the most is its Huddle feature for 2-way audio-based communication. Overall, the software is pretty easy to use.
Another cool feature is putting out status (in terms of availability). Whenever I'm AFK for lunch, I put on my availability status, just in case someone decides to reach out. It might sound small, but it works wonders when you're working from home.
Another cool feature is that the messages are saved no matter how long back you or some team member (who might have even left) posted it.
And there are so many integrations possible, which makes it ever so interesting. Playing trivia games daily is our team's one chance to engage in a virtual fun activity space, which is kind of fun.
Also, I've had the opportunity to meet so many people in the various Slack communities. I mean there are other channels, but the quality of the network is definitely right up there.

Cons

Even though Slack is an awesome tool, there's still some scope for improvement here. For instance, even though I mentioned Huddle as one of my favorite features, I've found some of my teammates complaining about not being able to connect, which gets a bit frustrating. Apart from that, there are features to set reminders and put other commands to help manage things better. I wish there was some kind of tutorial available to learn these things earlier. Another thing I wish was there was the ability to put out memes. I mean, I get it... it's a serious kind of platform, but sometimes memes just get the job done. I'd like to conclude by saying that it'd be cool if we could delete our messages (maybe within 5 mins of posting) too apart from just being able to edit them.

Prasath
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Reviewed on 17/06/2022

Slack - An incredibly popular workplace messaging app

Over the past year and a half, I have used Slack as my primary communication and productivity tool. I have been impressed with the platform's ease of use and the breadth of features it offers to its users. I have also been impressed with the number of Slack integrations available, which have increased my productivity and efficiency. I have also been impressed with the amount of support Slack provides its users, which has allowed me to focus on my work rather than troubleshooting problems.

Initially as a tool to help me communicate and collaborate with my team and later as a place to share and discuss content with the world. I’ve been impressed with the ease of use and the power of the platform. Over time, I’ve found that Slack has become a key part of how I communicate and share information. I can get a lot done in Slack, but there are still some things that keep me on the platform instead of other tools.

Pros

1. Slack is an incredibly popular workplace messaging app that’s used by millions of people every day. It’s a great tool for keeping groups together, sharing information, and collaborating
2. It is used by over 13 million daily active users and has been valued at over $2.8 billion. Slack is an excellent tool for team communication
3.Slack is a messaging app that lets you send messages, files, and emojis to coworkers and clients. It’s a great way to communicate and collaborate
4. Slack is one of the most popular workplace communication platforms, used by more than one-quarter of companies with more than half a billion daily active users. The platform is loved by some, hated by others, and many are still undecided about its usefulness
5. When most people think of communication, they think of email. But when it comes to team communication, email doesn’t always work. It can be hard to keep in touch with a single platform, and it’s easy for the conversation to get derailed or get lost in the shuffle. But now there’s another option: Slack.
6. It has many advantages, such as the ability to share files and work together on large files in the same workspace

Cons

1. The biggest disadvantage of using Slack is that you can’t customize it to suit your team’s needs. For example, you can’t customize the design of your channel or change the background color.
2. It's great for broadcasting what's happening in your team, but it's not a good place to brainstorm, share confidential information, or make decisions. It's also difficult to get individual attention when you need it.

Gregor

Reviewed on 11/06/2022

Slack is excellent and I think it should be used by every business

Mostly for quick and efficient communication across teams and with colleagues in other countries. I also use it frequently for managing access to my Google Drive, for managing cross-team projects through Google Drive, for tracking Jira tickets and updates and much more. We use it for team meetings, sharing each other's screens when required. We also use it for cross-team discussion about issues and to create a history of previous issues and collaboration that is easy to check.

Pros

So many things: firstly, how quick and easy it is to communicate across teams and countries within my organisation. It is so much faster than sending an email and so much easier to attach documents, manage document access, and more. It's really quick to search for a specific issue across slack channels. It's great to be able to make new channels about specific issues and to be able to tag colleagues in those channels. It's really well-integrated into my google drive which makes my life so much easier. I like that you can grant access to a document simply by posting a link to it in a channel, rather than manually granting everyone access. I like being able to send myself messages as reminders. I like being able to call people through it. I like being able to reply in thread. It creates a great and easy-to-access record of all sorts of issues and collaborations, in a way that is far more streamlined than through email. I like being able to add colleagues to channels when required. It is great for managing Jira tickets. I also like being able to quote messages. Slack is brilliant!

Cons

Just some small things: it would be nice to get a proper notification when something is posted in select channels. Currently I only get notified if I'm tagged in a message in a channel, and when I'm working it's difficult to constantly keep an eye on the channels to see if there's an important message that I haven't been tagged in. I also find it annoying that if I make a group chat, all previous messages disappear if I add someone new. When I message myself for notes, I find it frustrating that the messages aren't more clearly separated - it becomes quite a mess in there. I would like to get a notification every time someone posts in a thread I've posted in - this doesn't seem to always happen. Finally, I would like the emojis to be easier to type, rather than having to open up the emojis every time I want to add one, it would be nice if it were easier to add two at once.

Meraz

Reviewed on 19/05/2022

Slack: The Ultimate Collaboration and Task-Completion Platform

Slack suits large enterprises with several departments and teams who communicate regularly. It's fast and informal. Slack is easy to use on a smartphone, making it helpful for traveling. It's less suitable for siloed or formalized teams.

Pros

Slack rocks. We use many channels to keep consumer, internal, and tech support communications distinct. This is a fast and simple communication tool that my [SENSITIVE CONTENT] might use to ask for my help with a customer or team procedure. It's also important to "document" queries and replies for future reference. We utilize Slack to connect with our staff, form department/project groups, and incorporate clients. It keeps us organized and simplifies communication. Connecting Slack to Apps helps with file sharing, client feedback, and document management.

Cons

Slack calls/huddles don't terminate immediately. When someone calls using Slack, direct join call option is confused; it states join huddle and call attend choice doesn't function effectively. No direct connection for entering the Slack meeting.

Reasons for Choosing Slack

We used Skype for years but had several problems. Video delays, voice issues, and more. Is anybody listening? I miss Skype's simplicity. Slack has brought us peace.

Skype
Ghazal
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

Reviewed on 15/05/2022

New Age Communication Tool

Good, good, gooood. Thanks to Slack that enabled us to improve our communication and achieve our set goals. Instead of email, we communicate through Slack and it gets a better result.

Pros

I like the cool features and amazing functionality of Slack. It makes file sharing, meetings, and team collaboration so easy that anybody can do it without putting much effort. Since we started using Slack, we have shifted almost all of our daily communication to this one-in-solution. Our team members always get in touch with each other using the real-time chat feature. We have created different channels for different teams that helps us manage the work in a more organized way. File sharing is a big part of our work routine and Slack does it professionally. Integration with other applications such as Google Drive and Dropbox is another added feature. I have the PC version and also installed the phone application that helps me keep in contact with the team so effortlessly.

Cons

The contacts tab design can use some improvement. It's all cramped up. The drop-down arrows with the channel sometimes hide the contacts and that really annoys me. I wish there was a different user interface with more ease of use.

Nathalia
  • Industry: Leisure, Travel & Tourism

Reviewed on 13/05/2022

ICoom in Slack

I love slack, but I think its value is for fast internal communication. Not a lot for video or document sharing.

Pros

Is the best communication tool. Easy to use, you can have a lot of channels and bots and it seems like the info won't get lost because it is all organized.

Cons

The free version is great and I wouldn't see why to pay for the use, since you probably have free options in case you really must (in your package with the email provider or tools like Telegram, discord, etc)

Discord and Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Choosing Slack

To keep all the info centralized and organized

Telegram

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Best UI, fast enough and really easy to use, despite having a very fair free version
Omer

Reviewed on 12/05/2022

Slack revolutionized our workspace communication

I needed some time to see the benefits of Slack, coming from an email-only workplace. I soon started to appreciate the benefit of the communication style Slack made possible, and I think it is hard to imagine achieving the same level of efficiency without Slack.

Pros

Slack is different from the communication and chat tools we used previously. With Slack, we could create channels for every part of the project and only add people who are stakeholders in the area. Communication in these channels is visible to all their members, making information sharing the default in team communication. Direct Messages are still possible for private or secret data transfer. This channel style is also quite useful when creating alerts and notifications. All people can see all Notifications in one place and may communicate about them in the "threads" of the message.
Slack also introduced "Threads" to allow for sub-communication about any message in the channel in order not to block the flow of conversation in the channel.

Cons

It doesn't support RTL languages and sometimes uploading files takes a very long time.

• Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 26/11/2021

Slack Gets the Job Done

Pros

For anyone used to hangouts, MS Teams, or just plain old text messaging, Slack is easy to adopt and begin using for communication and collaboration.

Direct messaging others is as simple as adding '@' before their username, and when you create a conversation with multiple people, they're automatically saved as a group you can instantly ping at any time. Conversations with multiple replies are rolled up into threads to keep the message board clean. And, Slack allows you to communicate with outside companies (i.e., vendors, agencies), as long as they use Slack, as well. It's such a timesaver vs. email!

Slack also seamlessly integrates with a plethora of collaboration and organizational apps like Google Calendar, Clockwise and Zoom. So, seeing your daily schedule, sharing your status, and your availability to reply to others, etc. are all handled automatically. And, you can start a Zoom meeting with one shortcut and invite others instantly.

And, for file management, attachments are easy to add, preview and fully display.

Cons

Slack uses shortcuts to fire certain apps or actions. This approach is great if you're used to thinking in code. But, for anyone that isn't, it may be a lot to learn so many different shortcuts and could possibly cause some users to miss out on Slack's more powerful features.

The same goes for Slack markdown in general. There are some great templates to add greater usability to Slack posts. However, they require using and editing Slack markdown, which basically is easiest done in the markdown builder tool and then pushed back into Slack. The markdown code itself is straightforward. But, for teams that don't code (and honestly may not need to code), it's a missed opportunity for them to do more with Slack.

Samantha

Reviewed on 25/10/2021

Slack offers seamless Communication across the organisation and value for money

Overall Slack is a great platform for teams looking for seamless communication across the organisation and value for money.

Pros

Slack is one of the best platforms available for team communication. After using it for almost 3 years now, it provides our organisation with real-time and seamless communication and offers the most value for your money. Through Slack, you can instant message your team for a quick ask or direct message a specific member for any questions. You can also share files easily by uploading or you even connect your Google Drive/Dropbox to share file links. You can also have fun communicating using emoji's or just share fun GIF's to your team.

The free version offers all the features needed for team communication but if you want additional productivity features to level up your communication like communicating with outside vendors on your workspace, then you can definitely opt for getting paid plan. Slack is a very intuitive platform and user friendly.

Cons

Slack is a great tool for communication across teams but it does not offer any project management features.

Dayna

Reviewed on 02/11/2021

Slack is great for remote teams!

This tool has helped us communicate as a team. It has helped us restore some type of "culture" in a remote workforce.

Pros

We love that you can see when teammates are in a meeting. Set up away notifications. Sync to our calendars. The newly added scheduled message feature is great so we can send messages within business hours (especially when someone is working outside of typical hours)

Cons

There isn't really much to not like. I haven't had many issues with the tool not performing but, occasionally the call feature can be a little buggy. (does not happen very often)

Reasons for Choosing Slack

Google was just not able to meet all the demands we had as a team.

Google Meet

Reasons for Switching to Slack

We felt that Slack met more of the needs and had more options for integrations we wanted to utilize

Reviewed on 18/10/2021

Magic tool for remote work communication

Love it-Hope to use slack regardless of where I end up throughout everyday life. May even use it for individual utilize and can undoubtedly make bunch visits with companions,

Pros

Slack makes informing proficient and puts together messages into various channels. It is extremely helpful to private message just as make gatherings. Moreover, records are saved and filed for simple access. I likewise enjoyed the usability and capacity to work together with anybody in your association.

My most loved uses out of the product

1.) Unlimited number of channels-Public/Private

2.) Ability to make shapes that get distributed to explicit channels

3.) Love utilizing the/remind piece so I can get pings about undertakings requiring finish or a straightforward subsequent update

4.) You can have some good times and tweak. For instance: We have a 'Jokes' channel that the leeway bot will make you wisecracks on the off chance that you ask 'bot make me a father quip'- It's astounding

Cons

Difficult to think of any as a client yet heres a shot:

1.) The limitless assortment of channels makes the high opportunities to get steady pings in case somebody @'s you in a channel.

2.) You get dependent and wind up using your organization correspondence application 'Slack' off hours and simply signing on as though it were a web-based media page.

I disdained the failure to make a public gathering "private" after it's creation. Would incidentally slack and my. messages would just come through on my telephone and not work area

Rocket.Chat

Reasons for Switching to Slack

Slack is really a brand and have some valuable feature for remote work.
Carmel
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 09/10/2021

Innovative Tool for Team Building!

Overall I really enjoy slack! I prefer the desktop version over the web version. The desktop version allows quicker access! Also the direct message feature is important feature in slack that I use. Often at times sensitive message have to be share with an individual rather than the group. Also the emoji's are plentiful selection! I love the mass variety and options available!

Pros

The greatest thing I like about slack is the ability to create different channels to assist on different topics , groups, and teams within the organization! I also like the accessibility features! You can access Slack from virtually any device! I travel a lot and this feature is extremely important!

Cons

The software features can take some time to get use to if you have no computer experience. For me my biggest challenge was learning on how to use the alerts and notification features within the program. But in fairness I was able to grasp everything within a few days. So not that long at all.

Alexandros

Reviewed on 30/09/2021

A great collaboration and communication platform for teams - even young aged ones

Coaching a team of 10-15 children from 12 to 15 can be quite challenging. However, we have been able to incorporate Slack in our day to day work. All of our communication is in Slack, independent of Facebook etc and the children had no problem with it. Great features, easy creation of subgroups and sharing. Overall great software and I probably one of the only options offering these kind of feature for free and so well integrated.

Pros

I love the easy creation of team channels for different topic, and the message threads. I honestly find it very difficult to use a platform without this feature any more. Not needing to spam the whole team with a smaller conversation is great, especially for younger teams. Also third party integrations is a feature I use all the time, mostly Google drive and simple poll for now.

Cons

Sometimes the notifications on my phone don't work very well and i occasionally have some complaints from third party apps (which has little to do with Slack though), like not being able to edit polls from simple poll etc.