About Zoho Books

Zoho Books comes with automatic bank feeds, collaborative client portal, accounting and taxing, online payments, invoice templates and analytical reports. The system allows users to manage multiple time sheets of different...

4.2
4.2

Browse Zoho Books Reviews

Deepak

Reviewed on 09/10/2019

Great Collaboration

Great experience although after 2 years we are still learning, it is good for indian accounting system

Pros

The statement download from bank and reconciliation option is great
GST filing options are great
Dashboard is very well designed
Android application is very useful

Cons

I would have prefered if it has quotation sending options also
Process sometimes seems too long for creating manual vouchers

Krishna

Reviewed on 18/05/2022

It's an excellent internet service for small businesses

In general, Zoho Books is the finest accounting software for start-ups and small businesses. The following functionalities are included in this simple to use application: Assign Shortcuts, Create Quick Reports a UX that is easy to use, Software as a service (SaaS): It's simple to use and integrates well with the rest of the Zoho suite. Updates that arrive quickly and on a frequent basis.

Pros

As a whole, Zoho Books is an excellent tool for new businesses and organizations. It's an excellent choice. Having everything in one location is a great feature of this book. The reports are highly user-friendly, and the balance is simple to handle. Books has a wide range of features and is well-integrated with the company's other products.

Cons

When a financial institution makes an update, Zoho Books takes a long time to make the change, making it difficult to keep track of all expenditures. Statement import instructions are out-of-date. Customer service is terrible; no one ever tells you when an issue will be fixed.

Asim
  • Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 09/12/2022

ZOHO Review

Pros

The mobile app was too handy and the integration to GST portal made filing and reporting easy.Also missing Purchase expenses were updated from GST filings by other companies.

Cons

Becomes costly as users increase and Connected Zoho mail

Top Zoho Books Alternatives

Cassi

Reviewed on 18/12/2018

It's easy to use but that's as far as it goes

The overall experience with Zoho Books has been disappointing. We were told that they were capable of so much more than what they seem to be able to deliver on. There's no real good workflow capabilities and no real way to automate processes that the user imports over and over again.

If you're just starting out and don't have many sales (especially online sales) or a big budget, this is great accounting software for the value. The fact that the software developers are unable to transfer books from their own platform to an upgraded version or new version of it makes it completely incompatible with any business that is hoping to scale or merge with another company unless you have a bunch of extra staff or hours on your hands as you will be importing every transaction one by one manually.

Pros

It's easy to use if you're doing simple bookkeeping

Cons

This software is not made for those wanting to automate as much of the workflow as possible. It is also not for businesses hoping to scale with the software. The software link to the bank account and credit card frequently breaks leaving the user to have to sync manually. I have contacted customer service regarding this issue but there does not seem to be a solution.
If you're looking to upgrade from a beta or lower version of books to a newer version, Zoho is not capable of transferring your old books to a new account so the user is left having to manually important each entry one by one which is ridiculous and tedious. I cannot understand why the software developer is unable to do this simple task when they were able to do it when transferring the books from Xero or QuickBooks.
I’m glad others are having such success with the software but from my standpoint as an accountant I just do not see the value of the software for any company looking to scale in a digital world of eCommerce and automation, especially if the company is utilizing Amazon’s platform. The workaround I have had to implement to balance the account receivables and payables from those sales instead of having a successful either add-on or API like those of QuickBooks and Xero has also resulted in extra work which could all be automated if only the software had the capability.

Mahir

Reviewed on 21/10/2022

Perfect Accounting System

Zoho Books improved our efficiency and helped improve our business processes.

Pros

This is your all-in-one accounting system to cover all your business needs.

Cons

Learning curve is a bit typical initially but once you get the hang of it, it'd turn out to be an awesome application for your company.

Kashoo

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Books

Freshbooks was expensive to maintain

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Books

Zoho Books had local product support engineers which is why we put our trust on them!
Jordan
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 17/05/2022

Great QuickBooks competitor with additional features to boot

Pros

I am a big fan of Zoho Books. For the same price of a QuickBooks subscription, I was able to purchase a license to Zoho One, which comes with dozens of other valuable apps (Zoho Forms, Zoho CRM, Zoho Survey, Zoho Social, Zoho Marketing Automation, Zoho Analytics, Zoho Sign, Zoho Meeting, Zoho Desk, Zoho Projects, Zoho Expenses, Zoho Recruit, Zoho Flow).

I did the math recently, and figured out that if I were to buy each of the Zoho applications I use from an equivalent competitor, I would be spending $600 more than the cost of a Zoho One subscription each month.

For Zoho Books in particular, it has all of the features I used in QuickBooks, plus easy-to-use workflow automations and integrations with the rest of the Zoho One suite. It's very helpful to be able to cross-reference Zoho Books data within their CRM for example.

Overall, I highly recommend Zoho Books, but encourage you to purchase the full Zoho One suite rather than Books as a standalone application.

Cons

I wish they had a few more payment processors available.

FreshBooks, Wave Accounting and Xero

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Books

For the same price as QuickBooks, I was able to get the full Zoho One Suite.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Books

Integration with Zoho One.
Brandy

Reviewed on 28/07/2022

Brandy Jackson

Pros

That it integrates with Zoho Commerce . This is the reason I chose it

Cons

It is very expensive. But it is one of the only ones out there that works with a website

Dylan
  • Industry: Entertainment
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 03/11/2022

Delivers a lot for the price

Pros

More affordable than most other bookkeeping software. Supports multiple currencies right off the bat, no matter which plan you're on. Responsive and helpful customer service. Easy to use with a clean and customizable interface.

Cons

Transaction categorization was a bit confusing at first for me. It can also be hard to sort through and find old transactions at times due to lack of customization. For example, when looking at a leger of transactions for a specific bank account, you can't customize which fields to show for each transaction. Another thing that is slightly annoying is that Zoho limits the number of Customers/Vendors you can add for each plan they offer. Once you reach the limit you have to pay more in order to add more.

Reviewed on 03/06/2022

Zoho Books is a great accounting solution for all the financial purposes in organization.

It is actually a great experience so far with the Zoho Books. Our team loved the product so far.

Pros

Zoho books is a great tool, we been using it from last 3 months now and its pretty great so far, and we have explored a lot, and it made our work a lot easier.

Cons

Its a complete suite with all the needs and requirements and we really liked the product so far.

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Books

Its easy to use and a little cheaper than FreshBooks, with good support.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 24/12/2022

Accounting system

Pros

Zoho Books is effective and reasonably priced, meets all essential needs.

Cons

It is tricky at first, but eventually you will get used to it.

Nikki
  • Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 17/09/2020

Efficient, affordable took that's essential for my business

I switched to Zoho Books from FreshBooks a little over a year ago when the cost of FreshBooks became unmanageable and free options, such as Wave, did not serve my purposes. I was also looking for a cloud invoicing/expense-tracking system that was less glitchy and easier to use. Zoho Books is all of that. As a sole proprietor, the price suits my budget perfectly. Clients have told me that paying me through Zoho is much easier than paying me through FreshBooks or Wave.

At tax time, it's easy to send my Profit & Loss report to my accountant. I also like that I can attach receipts to my expenses.

I'm very thankful for Zoho Books and hope they continue to meet the needs of sole proprietors like me.

Pros

Zoho Books is easy for me to use and much easier for my clients to use when paying me. They've given me positive feedback about their invoicing experiences. It's also affordable, which was a huge deciding factor when I switched from another cloud invoicing program.

Cons

I wish I could see when a client has "viewed" my invoice. Also, I didn't realize that listing vendors on my expenses, such as Amazon, would count as "Contacts" and use up some of my slots. I'm glad I know now and I'm rectifying it.

Wave Accounting and Fiverr Workspace

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Books

FreshBooks raised their rates to outrageous levels and gave little advance notice about it. The software was glitchy and my clients were complaining about having difficulty paying. Their system went down at least once a week, which has fortunately not happened to me yet with Zoho Books. Although FreshBooks touts their live customer support, I encountered some rather cranky people there (they were probably fed up with getting calls about the humongous price increase). I'd rather interact with a helpful Zoho support person via chat than an unpleasant FreshBooks support person by phone.

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Books

Although both Wave and And.co offer free versions, I found them harder to use (particularly Wave). Clients found Wave a bit glitchy and the software was not intuitive.
Anne

Reviewed on 01/04/2020

All the functionality of QuickBooks - and more - at a much better price

Zoho Books has everything I need to keep my books in order, bill my clients, and track my time and expenditures. I've been very happy with this product.

Pros

Zoho Books does everything that QuickBooks does in a much more intuitive interface. It provides a ton of flexibility in looking at things from both accrual and cash methods, offers a free seat for my accountant, and allows me to track my time and bring it directly into my invoices. The ability to take pics of receipts and enter expenses directly from my phone app is great, too.

Cons

I wish that other software providers would wake up and realize that QB isn't the only game in town. Make it easier to integrate with Zoho, please! I've had some trouble syncing with my bank in the past and it took a while for customer service to understand what was really going on - there are some language barriers. But their CS agents do seem to try to help.

Quickbooks Online, Wave Accounting and Fiverr Workspace

Reasons for Choosing Zoho Books

Wave only allows for accrual-based accounting, which is severely limiting. Wave also makes some odd duplicate transactions when you're entering transfers and line items for invoices.

Wave Accounting

Reasons for Switching to Zoho Books

Zoho books has everything QuickBooks has at a much lower price. And Wave and And.co had too many limitations.

Reviewed on 19/12/2020

"Zoho Books"; Accounting made easy.

I have been in the field of finance and accounting for quite a couple of time now and have tested many accounting softwares. I finally landed on Zoho Books and my experience with this software is amazingly outstanding in its results and ease of use.

Pros

It's very effective and efficient in its operations. Zoho Books perform splendid task as expected.

The BRS statement is also an amazing feature I enjoy mostly on this software as it prints clearly all required details as expected.

Cons

For the fact that the little shortcomings are prevalent regarding the usage of this software, its benefits cannot be outweighed.
The only problem i think is with this software is for the fact that you must be familiar with the accounting terms as a new user to be able to effectively use the function to the fullest benefits.
A learning or help pop ups when added to the features will be of help especially to new users

Tracey
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 07/03/2022

Intuitive and comprehensive accounting software, ideal for small businesses

Excellent software - use it daily to keep my records up to date, invoice customers and process payments. Couldn't recommend it more highly.

Pros

Easy to use, mobile app is also excellent for updating on the move. Clear reporting, easy to take a snapshot of business performance. Tailorable so invoices are fully branded and customer e-mails can be tailored. Love the payment receipt feature so clients are updated once payment processed.

Cons

Can be a little tricky to set the profit & loss to cover the right months, need to play around with the dates.

Ansar
  • Industry: Legal Services

Reviewed on 25/11/2016

The best ever!

I've searched them all. Zoho is tops by far! Not only do you have full CRM integration reducing sales time by 1000's of hours (really... it's as simple Lead->Convert->Quote. Clients then pay their quote in one click thanks to Zoho!) but the product as a stand alone is far superior. The layout, quotes, invoices, automation, reports... They've thought of everything. Since we switched my business has seen radical jumps in both staff productivity and conversion rates. As a small business owner (actually it's not small anymore!), time really is money - Zoho knows how to give you both. They have truly allowed my business to grow: The service we offer is a one time only purchase by most of our clients- so we need to get it right first time and shine above our competitors!
Fresh Start Law Centre is now the leading criminal record removal firm in South Africa - Thank you Zoho!

Ansar Sykes CEO,
www.FreshStartLawCentre.co.za

Pros

Everything! Mainly the level of customization available and CRM integration.

Cons

Improvement: Allow for www.payfast.co.za credit card payment integration for the South African market. In the interim, we are using unique URL's in the quotes/invoices for one click payment. But having full Zoho payment integration is better.

Sanjay
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 14/09/2017

Zoho Books: Accounting software for Sma and Medium Enterprise

Overall good software for small and medi enterprise with good features.

Pros

Zoho books is cloud based accounting software with many impressive features. Below are the pros of ZOHO Books

1. Zoho comes with many inbuilt accounting software features like inventory management, Payroll processing, Sales and Purchase booking etc.
2. Can be integrated with your online shoping websites like shopify, woocommerce and many more.
3. Automatc recurring expense booking like depreciation, monthly rent etc.
4. Zoho has rebust cloud technology and provides 99.99% downtime, also provides top security for your data protection.
5. In cloud based software there is negligible risk of data loss as service provider regularly takes backup of data.
6. Cloud based software are are far better than DOS based or windows based softwares.
7. Zoho books is available with reasonable price compared to other cloud based software.

Cons

1.As compared to Quickbooks online many features are missing.
2.Disadvantage of cloud based software is it becomes difficult to shift to windows based software as data can not be transferred easily.
3. Zoho attracts consumer by quoting very less fees for 1st year but from next years there is steep increase in charges.

Ann

Reviewed on 22/09/2015

Go-To Invoicing Software Everyone Should Have

We are a company that's 10 years in the industry. We cater a thousand orders a month and getting an invoicing software that's basically gonna do the job is essential. We've been to a couple of invoicing software but none of those were good enough to bring with us on our road to success. The last software we've got literally ruined our business for a couple of months that we decided to give it up until I found Zoho books. I have heard much of Zoho from my virtual assistant colleagues and their employers have been using them for a while. I decided to sign up for a free trial and loved it! It does almost everything that we need in an invoicing software. Its payment reminders allow us to optimize our collections every month and it keeps going. Its ability to track overdue invoices, customizing templates, and custom fields were a tremendous help in making sure our documents are as accurate as we need them to be. Customer service is also a big help. Someone always answers the phone on their end, emails are being replied in a timely manner and call backs are done in less than 24 hrs. All these for $24 a month which is kind of awesome. We are probably going to stick with Zoho for a while and we are just even starting.

Reports are also pretty detailed and is a big help for us to track our progress. On the other side of the coin, I hope they also have an API integrated in their system. Makes it easier for our vendors.

I recommend it to small to large scale business who are looking to integrate their accounting and invoicing (probably their inventory as well with Zoho Inventory on the way). Zoho Books is for you.

Pros

Pros:

1. Reports. We needed to track our progress down every week and what better way it is than to view our reports. Zoho allows you to get a report for Sales Person, Items and Customer. It's detailed report on overdue invoices are great for us to pound the ones that need to pay.

2. Payment Reminders. Our invoices are always set in an open account. Therefore, we need an automated system to remind our customers about their due invoices. Works great for our collection!

3. Customer Service. They are always good at getting back to you. When no one is available to answer your call, tehy are going to call you back in less than 24 hrs. Their email support is also pretty quick they wont leave you hanging.

Cons

Zoho is good about getting a constructive suggestion done.

However, I wish they have an API integration with the system. Also with the Zoho Inventory along hte way, Im pretty sure they will be a perfect go-to software for our company.

steve

Reviewed on 21/02/2020

for a 1 man shop, it's a nice, inexpensive alternative

in the ~2 years i've been using the software, i've seen dramatic improvements over all (it felt very "beta" when i started, it now feels much more robust).

Pros

cost and the ability to build your own integration tools.

compared to other options (unnamed here, but you know who they are), it is VERY cost efficient and effective. depending on options chosen with alternatives it costs anywhere from 25% to 75% of what The Other Guys offer.

i've even been able to write some integrations with it (using some powerful and reasonably well documented REST APIs)

Cons

the interface is a bit clunky - things like matching take a bit of getting used to.

banking integration only allows one sync per 24 hour period.

Nathan

Reviewed on 26/03/2018

All in One Accounting Solution for SME businesses

Pros

A true CRM tool for sales people with the tools the ability to give accountants information needed. You can provide invoicing and estimates for clients as well as get an overview of sales for the year, the month and other important information. We have been using Zoho for over 5 years and almost swear by it, especially in our line of business with integration with payment options, we can accept multiple payment options from clients without changing our workflow. Whether used on its own or used with the other suite of Zoho apps, Zoho Books is definitely a recommended tool for anyone starting out and looking for an affordable accounting/CRM solution.

Cons

Only administrators can adjust invoices once they have been sent which limits functionality for larger sales teams.
Cancelling an estimate or invoice even when in draft mode is not as straightforward as when you create one.
Mobile apps for Zoho Books is not as easy to use as the web app, if you are running a business, it is good for viewing sales at a glance but it is not ideal for CRM on the go.
There is a slight learning curve to use Zoho Books for accounts especially if you are coming from another accounting suite.

Verity

Reviewed on 10/05/2020

A really good introductory product

This was the first software I used for invoicing/books and it was a really gentle intro - simple, clean and with great customer service, it is hard to fault!

Pros

I use Zoho Books primarily for invoicing. The interface is clean and clear and user friendly, with improvements being made all the time. Thankfully improvements are made slowly and don't leave you to end up feeling like "where has my known and loved application gone?" The customer service is great - responsive and clear responses with no up-selling and fluff.

Cons

The payment plans are a little frustrating. The limits are on the number of contacts and as a business with lots of contacts and only one transaction often per contact it gets really expensive. I wish they could increase the number of contacts in the $9 plan as the step-up plan does not include anything else I need or want other than the additional contacts

Reviewed on 30/03/2022

Best Accounting Software for SME's

Zoho Books is implemented in a sister company that we manage, so far the software has no issues and works as expected. Would highly recommend this product.

Pros

Ease of use, Easy to setup. Great and simple GUI. Loaded with very useful features like Sales Approval Flows, Online Payment Integration, Document Attachments and many more.

Cons

Books is a significant bump up in price when Zoho itself provides a free version of the invoicing application called Zoho Invoice. Though compared to competitors Zoho Books is reasonable. There differentiation among their free counterpart (Zoho Invoice) is not very far apart.

Ziyad

Reviewed on 21/09/2022

ZOHO Books is my GO TO Accounting software.

I LOVE USING ZOHO BOOKS together with ZOHO EXPENSES

Pros

What attracted me first was the price was really reasonable for a startup like us. We compared with a lot of others and it was really what we were looking for in terms of feature, easy of use and ever all experience.

Cons

A bit of a learning curve in the beginning. Bank Reconciliation is a bit tricky. Other than that i love it.

Quickbooks Online

Price and feature
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Reviewed on 15/11/2018

A little learning curve, but very user friendly!

Pros

I'll preface by saying I came from the ancient times of Excel bookkeeping to Zoho. The Books app making invoicing, reconciling, collections, and all of the A/R tasks a breeze. Initially I had to do some exploring, get templates set up for all of our items, and test out the features I needed to use. Whenever I found an issue I couldn't resolve, our account rep was easy to contact and ever helpful. The ease of invoicing is my most favorite. I can create a single invoice or make it recurring. The invoice cloning feature is great so I don't have to input the same info over & over.

Cons

The one fatal flaw of Books, for me, was that importing my contacts from an Excel spreadsheet was a nightmare. My files were set up in a pretty standard format - name, company, title, etc., but Books just didn't translate to something so simple. I was incredibly disappointed in this as I can easily import to other software in no time. Importing took me hours and I still had to go in & make corrections. If not for that, I'd say this software is A++!

• Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 17/03/2019

Satisfactory Financial System

Pros

I like that the system is so easy to prepare for use. It allows a lot of upload options - expenses, time sheet, sales, etc. You don't need training to understand how to use it if you have used another financial system in the past. Everything is easy to grasp and master - I have one bookkeeper who had ZERO training, but got everything right quickly. I also like the app that comes with it. It's not heavy on data or the phone memory. It comes with fancy picture taking tools that will allow you to keep a soft copy of your documents. The search function is also easy and quick. If you are not a highly complex company, this is a good starting database. Even up to medium complexity, I think it'll still work.

Cons

When I got Zoho Books for the company that I am working for at the moment, it didn't have the ability to report by project. I needed to create reporting tags and project at the same time, which is a real bummer. Recently, they made an upgrade that you are already able to do so on a project level. Reports are not customizable, and it's not really that easy to use. I needed to download reports from one place to another to come up with an accurate report. Sometimes, reports contradict one another. Been wrestling with the reporting part for a few months now.

Adrian

Reviewed on 28/05/2021

It's good but not great

I use this for our charity and it is a great low cost solution. For my business, I ultimately had to change back over to QBO. The little bugs and limitations got in the way for a more complicated business setup where QBO is well utilized in this area.

Pros

The workflows you can create are great and the support is quick to respond.

Cons

Like everything in the Zoho Suite, it is always at 80%. There are always things that don't work properly and bugs. The integration for Amazon Seller Central was not great.