CANVAS Reviews

About CANVAS

Canvas by Instructure is a cloud-based learning management system for every stage and style of education. Available to institutions of all sizes and types, from individual K-12 classrooms to universities to Training Organisations...

Browse CANVAS Reviews

3,932 of 3,932 reviews
Jim
Jim

Reviewed on 28/02/2022

The Last LMS You Will Ever Purchase

As a staple in higher education, online and hybrid learning have played a central role in offering courses to a geographically dispersed demographic of students. Canvas provides this ability with a solid product and reliable up time to help us meet these goals.

Pros

A very powerful platform with a low threshold for adoption and ease of use. Our instructors rave about the intuitiveness of the course builder features and functionality. Since the pandemic, nearly all of the institution's thousands of courses have content online in Canvas - including the traditional in-person classes.

Cons

Integration with our student information system required some additional outside services to that students, courses, and grades could be synced in real time in order to give students immediate access once enrolled for the class.

Blackboard Collaborate and Brightspace

Reasons for Choosing CANVAS

After Blackboard's acquisition of MoodleRooms, the support, service, and development declined while prices increased. After a complete RFP of the alternatives, Canvas became the clear leader in the learning management system space.

Reasons for Switching to CANVAS

Best product, best support, best pre-and post-sales support
Kudzai
Kudzai
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 17/03/2021

CANVAS - Easy e-learning Setup

It is easy and quick to set up even for no technical people. It is a reasonable cost depending on usage.

Pros

The first thing I noted about Canvas is that when creating content, the page looks like an MS Word document. This makes creating pages with content easy as the learning curse is very gentle. There is very little need to be technical. It is more a matter of formatting rather than getting to know the software platform itself.

The dashboard is clean and modern with easy navigation on the left sidebar for courses, account information, calendar, inbox and help. Your default home is your published and unpublished courses. On the courses tabs, are announcement and conversation icons that notify if a course has issues you need to attend to in a specific course.

The settings menu is straightforward with nothing cryptic even for non-technical people.

Setting up courses is a breeze with a 'Course Setup Checklist' button available inside each course shell you create. There is a walkthrough for each element of a course from content to publishing your course. If you have an existing course you can simply import the course with several formats supported including but not limited to Blackboard, Moodle and zip. For educators at various institutions, they can just import and customize where the need arises for the different institutions.

Assessment types include quizzes and assignments. It also integrates easily with other services like Google Drive, Office/Docs and others.

Cons

Video elements management needs improvement, the thumbnails are poor quality and very small. There is no option to edit them. To get a good visual of Office elements needs embedding the content hosted somewhere else. Natively on the platform PDF and PPT display poorly with just vertical scrolling. Exporting An exported courses from Canvas is in a custom format that is not compatible with other LMS platforms. This makes it hard to move between platforms. There not much customization of learning elements compared to other LMS available. Some of the support documentation is dated and needs updating.

Accord LMS

Reasons for Choosing CANVAS

A different vendor with different needs that best fit Canvas than Accord LMS.

Accord LMS

Reasons for Switching to CANVAS

There was a need for something quick and easy to use for instructors without the need for having technical support on call all the time.
Elena
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 19/02/2024

Love Canvas!

Pros

I have been using Canvas since I started my college degree four years ago and I’ve been using it ever since then. I absolutely love how easy canvas makes it to manage all of your courses, it doesn’t matter if you’re taking one or five. The ease of access allows you to see what to do via the to do list, you can see your grade percentages easily, you can get notifications for announcements and posted grades, etc. Canvas has made my college experience so much easier.

Cons

There isn’t really anything that I don’t like about campus, everything is so easy to understand and use.

Top CANVAS Alternatives

Mukisa

good for learning management

Pros

availability of course tools
easy to share class modules

Cons

pricing changes with time
UI issues, it has to be worked on

Aristote

Reviewed on 21/11/2023

best learning and education software

personally my experience with canvas is rather positive due to its ability to organize tasks and its qualitative free version

Pros

the ease and simplicity of the software is one of the points that makes canvas one of the best learning software but also the qualitative and quantitative content that the software offers makes all the difference

Cons

the negative point of canvas and that we cannot see the previous affections once locked but also if you have an unstable connection you can be ejected from duty and negatively impacted upon your reconnection

Acuity Scheduling and Visio

Reasons for Switching to CANVAS

I chose canvas rather than its alternatives because of its free version which is qualitative and its affordable price
Levi

Easy for Students

Pros

As a student, it is an easy interface to navigate. The "Mark as Done" function helps me keep track of progress. Each class layout is pretty much the same. The app works just as good as the desktop webpage.

Cons

I'd like a better notifications section. For example, I get a notification on my phone, and I open it (sometimes accidentally!). It opens to the screen I was notified about, but there's no trace of that specific notification in the app once I leave the window it notified me about. I'd like a "Notifications" page on my account that logs all the updates/notifications so that I can go back and access them in my own time.

Perhaps a calendar integration would be nice too (integrate with iCal and Google Cal)

Reviewed on 19/02/2024

Canvas for Higher Education

Pros

Canvas is easy to navigate for the most part and is great for collaborating with other students for projects, including communication and sharing documents.

Cons

Although I found Canvas mostly easy to navigate, I had classmates who would have preferred detailed tutorial videos for Canvas' features.

Reviewed on 17/01/2024

I like Canvas to maintain my undergarad lab class

Pros

Easy grading, recording results, and tracking students' involvement on a specific file/lecture uploaded.

Cons

It is limited in terms of setting MCQ questions. I can not make my questions as they can be done by other specific learning providers.

Reviewed on 14/01/2024

Canvas - The best student assignment tool

Pros

The best thing about Canvas is it's user friendliness. And it has better integration capabilities with third-party tools such as Google, Microsoft, and Zoom.

Cons

The only disadvantage is for one who is not familiar with it, it takes some time to get used to it and use all the useful options.

Sahil
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 12/01/2024

Good tool for online assignments

Pros

It has a good interlinking with schools and students for uploading the assignments.

Cons

User interface can be upgraded for the ease of usage to make it more student friendly.

Reviewed on 23/11/2019

Canvas

I have used Canvas as both a student and a teacher. I have used it to create courses and assignments, grading, submitting assignments, viewing grades, etc. It is a beneficial software for higher education because of all of the resources and tools available. It helps significantly with the organization of a class.

Pros

Once you learn the software, it is easy to use. There are several tools that are beneficial to both students and teachers, such as Speed Grader, TurnItIn for plagiarism checking, inbox, collaborations, etc. I really like that it lines out the schedule for students (syllabus tab), provides a calendar that has the option to display days that assignments are due, a to-do list for each assignment, etc. Teachers have to put the assignments in, ahead of time, for this to be useful to students, but I've been told many times by students that it makes their lives easier by being able to see everything they have coming up. I also love the ARC video uploader. It allows teachers to see statistics on how many students watched the video and how long they actually watched it. It also gives students an option to leave a comment or question at an exact timestamp in the video.

Cons

There are some quirks to Canvas that sometimes require workarounds. An example of this is moderated grading. I have had it somehow get selected, but it does not tell you when it gets selected. Once one student submission has been graded, it will not allow you to turn off moderated grading. You have to go through the process of moderated grading before it will even show grades or comments to students. The inbox also sometimes hides my emails in the spam folder in my Outlook account. It does not do that constantly, but every now and then I will get an email from a student wondering why I haven't responded to an email. I usually find it in my spam folder.

Ariya

Reviewed on 06/08/2022

Review on Canvas

As a user of 2 years and counting, I am very satisfied with my overall experience with Canvas and am very likely to share it with others. It is software that will continue to be used in the future; it's a major improvement to online learning.

Pros

This software is very well organised with minor issues. I think as a user of 2+ years, I am extremely satisfied with the software. Although there are some minor improvements to be made, I believe that this software is the future of remote higher education.

Cons

I think my major complaint about this software would be the fact that hiding and/or deleting certain courses' cards/lists isn't an option. When one year is over and another begins, half of the courses still on my dashboard can be considered clutter and are no longer needed. I think another feature that would make organising easier is editing the name of the course on my dashboard. Organisations usually title their courses in the same format with minimal changes which does make it harder to differentiate from one another. Adding subtle features that allow for personalising your dashboard without compromising the content of the courses would be helpful, I believe.

Blake

Reviewed on 29/07/2019

This is what an LMS should be!

We switched to Canvas when our school went 1:1. This was a key component of the success of our program.

Pros

This LMS has become the hub of my classroom. It holds both students and teachers accountable with complete tracking of assignments.

Cons

It could have better integration with our SIS (FACTS), but I think this is more of an issue with FACTS.

Blackboard Learn, Blackbaud K-12 Solutions and Schoology

Reasons for Switching to CANVAS

Schoology was a close second, mainly because of their workload planning, but the overall interface and the fact the many of our students will see Canvas when they go to college, it was the clear choice.
Eduardo

Reviewed on 06/07/2021

CANVAS to Learn

CANVAS is superior to blackboard, even though we could argument blackboard is more complete, it is "0" user friendly therefore as a student it is hard to get the best out of the software. Thanks to CANVAS´ simple approach it is very easy to navigate once you had 2 or 3 courses and you can easily find what you are looking for. I sincerely recommend CANVAS.

Pros

Very user-friendly interface, easy to find what you are looking for with clear icons and titles being displayed.
For general areas such as courses, dashboard and calendar they are easy to use, and you can even add reminders to your calendar besides those posted by teachers.

Cons

Sometimes, once you are inside a class within the software it may vary drastically from teacher to teacher. The software allows for customization therefore it can cause confusion for students for there is not only 1 format to visualize the classes.

Reviewed on 27/08/2019

Finally, a student portal that makes you want to learn!

Overall, I'm highly satisfied to have a student portal that doesn't make me want to tear my hair out. The developers clearly did a lot of research and user testing into finding out what features students need, as it still astounds me how complete of an experience the app is. Just about the only major issue with it is that some instructors don't make the most out of its functionality, but that's not really an issue with Canvas itself.

Pros

As a student who used to use Blackboard, I immediately saw Canvas' UI and overall look-and-feel as a huge upgrade. I like that it's based on modern UI design patterns, with features like the sidebar and the single flush column of content. It makes the web app inviting and fun to use for young students like me who are on their phone for most of the day.

One relatively minor feature that I greatly appreciate is the in-app PDF previewer, which saves me from wasting time having to download the file or opening it in a new tab and cluttering my workspace. Just this feature alone was enough to show me that Canvas' developers really had the end-user in mind.

One last big net positive I want to mention is the integration with the mobile app. It's great! Notifications show up on time and don't duplicate or perform other wonky stuff. Having a seamless experience between desktop and mobile goes a long towards making students like feel in control of their learning.

Cons

While there's a lot to like about the UI, I do have some minor grievances with it in a few places. The one thing that really stands out is how some blue links are clickable but don't actually do anything. For example, discussion threads have a clickable subtitle that shows which Lecture Section they're intended for. If it's for "All Sections", then clicking on it does absolutely nothing. I know this is a minor nitpick, but you would not believe how many times I've ended up accidentally clicking on that link intending to go the discussion board.

Reviewed on 11/10/2020

Easy to use...only if you know what you're doing

The best thing a new Canvas user could do would be to attend training FIRST. Do NOT just jump in like I did and assume that because you're tech savvy you'll figure it out quickly. It took me weeks and weeks when I first started using it to build my class. Lots of trial and error and calling the IT department. I should have just saved myself some time and gone to training! But I didn't have the time so I winged it. Ugh. On the whole though, once you learn how to use it, it's not bad at all. And it gets easier with time. And again, it's 10x better than Moodle! Also, there is a Canvas "Commons" where you can look at other Canvas courses that other instructors have put together so you can get an idea of techniques you might use. But, you still might need to do a training session with IT to figure out how to replicate the cool graphics that others are using! Again, it's not intuitive, and there is not a lot of online help available. But on the whole, Canvas is the best thing out there right now.

Pros

I've been using Canvas as an instructor at a university for the past 7+ years. The best thing about Canvas is that it's better organized than Moodle, which I've also used. I encountered Canvas when I came to work at my university. Before I started my job I was only familiar with Moodle, which I thought was an awful ed-tech application. I found Canvas to have a better interface, and was easier to navigate as a user. As an instructor, there are all kinds of features that you can use to set up a class, foster engagement, track student progress and assess completion of assignments. You can set up discussions, assign students to groups and even enable them to meet virtually. Canvas also works well for asynchronous learning in that you can create a course that is self-paced and students can step through each assignment on their own time.

Cons

The biggest challenge with Canvas is that it's not easy to use, unless you've been trained and know what you're doing. I had to learn Canvas completely on my own and it was a bit of a nightmare, even for someone like me who is very comfortable with technology. It's not entirely intuitive, especially when you're building a course from scratch. It's basically a website and you have to learn how to link pages, websites, documents, etc. You don't need to know how to code or use HTML, but it's still very painstaking to set up a class, even if you copy a previous class from year to year and just need to update it. The grading feature was also "updated" and it's more annoying now and less easy to use. The one big drawback though is the interface in that it's not all that graphical. You have to learn work arounds to make the interface more appealing to students. It's still better than Moodle! But still, it would be great if they could make it more like a real graphical website and less like a Word document on a website.

Dr. M Y
Dr. M Y

Reviewed on 06/02/2021

Canvas for Online Learning, Teaching & Assessment: OK but...

Best valuable features: Share to Common, Import/export content i.e., transport/transfer files from past year or another course. It saves time, not reinventing the wheel.

Assignment Due date is very cruel to learner as 1 second late submission may cause a heavy penalty. Recently due to COVID-19 my learners in UK and International faced difficulties. I suggest to add a feature giving some window instead of a fix hh.mm.ss timestamp.

Pros

Learning & Teaching: Various useful features, e.g., upload/download files, page creation, announcement and discussion and valuable apps containing ubiquitous tools, like MS Team meetings, Panopto, Vimeo, YouTube, Dropbox etc.

Assessment: Huge variety of Quizzes, secured quizzes, quizzes SWOT statistics, lockdown browser, Assignments, anti-Plagiarism tools, Moderation, Marker Allocation, Grades,

Research: Conferences, collaborations, Canvas digital forum support.

Cons

Assessment of students: sorting may not be sync'd with local university database. i.e., downloaded grades and university's marksheet contains names of students starting differently. Imaging if you have 300+ names! this causes sorting issues while assessing online.

Quizzes are great but cannot create duplicate questions, some time academic need this feature. Also because quiz question can be an Essay therefore, this type of assessment must include anti-plagiarism tool (i.e., Turnitin etc), not available in Quizzes but only in Assignments.

Reference Manager and Library tools are not available but can be added, e.g., Talis, StudyNet etc. These features are necessary for cognitive learning and cresting your own Library does help. I need to use either Endnotes or Mendeley as an external app on my desktop or on cloud.

Its good to use integrated Email tool but its not linked to outlook or other email app. I cannot send email to other people outside my module, i.e., cannot do cc to manager, examiner etc but I need to permanently add in the list of people.
Also cannot add images etc in text but can attach files. Also cannot format the text but just plaintext is allowed. You cannot add http link to a text.

Ryan
Ryan

Reviewed on 11/05/2021

Best of the bunch (but still not stellar)

I've been a full-time professor for six years now, and before that I was a full-time graduate student for three, and an adjunct instructor for another six, not to mention the time I spent as an undergraduate myself, when LMS software was becoming ubiquitous. This means that I've used virtually every LMS package out there as either an instructor or a student (or both), and despite its bugaboos and flaws, Canvas continues to outpace the others in terms of usability, innovation, and overall quality.

Pros

I've used the Canvas learning management system (LMS) as both a student and an instructor for years now, and I can say with a high level of confidence that it is, by far, the best LMS available today. It strikes a good balance between available features and ease of use, meaning instructors have a reasonably high level of customization at their fingertips at the course level, but students won't be confused or overwhelmed since every Canvas course retains certain similarities that can't be altered (e.g., navigation). There also appears to be a great deal of control that can be exerted by administrators in terms of locking down (or opening up) features, so it can be tweaked accordingly for any given institution. There are a LOT of features available to instructors in Canvas, and those can be expanded indefinitely by adding third-party integrations.

Cons

There are a range of frustrating quirks, missing features that require hack-y workarounds, confusing user interface issues, and inexplicable limitations that regular users will run into with routine use. For example, if you create an assignment and enable peer reviews of that assignment, it is difficult for students to figure out how to access the documents they are supposed to evaluate. Once they do find them, the embedded document editor is buggy and limited, and occasionally fails to save student edits. On top of all of this, if peer reviews are set to "anonymous," the embedded editor is disabled entirely--not just for students, but for the instructor as well, making it impossible to make inline comments or suggestions. Even more frustrating is the Canvas/Instructure support website, with its arcane, verbose design and overreliance on "community" message boards instead of dedicated agents to solve problems.

Reviewed on 25/11/2017

It's ease of use, mobile experience, and ease of administration outweigh the features it lacks.

We are able to get detailed analytics on use not only from our students but from our instructors. We are able to build customizations utilizing the API.
We are now in a hosted solution with a beta server, test server and production server that is maintained and updated every week or 3 weeks depending on the server.

Pros

Canvas from an administrator side is incredibly easy to work with. Installing addons takes just seconds in comparison to the fear I experienced in installing anything in Blackboard, and the confusion I experienced trying to set anything up in D2L.
One of the deciding factors in moving forward with Canvas was ease of use for our faculty and students. If Canvas was not easy to use our transition would have been near impossible.
It's mobile app is excellent for students and they are in the middle of improving their faculty mobile app now.
They have an incredible Community that has asked most of the questions you have and someone has provided the answer you're looking for. There are also folks that create customizations and share those with everyone to help improve your workflows. They also let you in on the development process and share with your their progress and let you beta test things for them.
I love having a beta server, test server and production server to work with that is always up to date.
Lots to love about Canvas.

Cons

There are some features that are lacking from Canvas that we are attempting to work around or build customizations for.
1. Set Discussion boards to need grading after x number of posts. Right now it says it needs to be graded after the first post and will not notify the instructor once they have submitted the required amount of posts. This isn't as big of an issue when there are due dates but a majority of our courses do not have due dates.
2. It's Outcomes capabilities are lacking. They have plans to improve on this but it may be awhile.
3. They are releasing a new quizzing tool in 2018 which we are excited for but are worried about how we will need to go about migrating quizzes.

• Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 08/02/2022

A huge step up!

As a student in several certification courses, I'm largely just relieved by the move away from Blackboard since my time in university! Canvas works reliably—it's always a relief to know that you'll be able to access your course when you need to—and has a variety of compelling features that really benefit the online learning experience, including well-designed quizzes and interactive forums.

Pros

I feel that the quiz tool is one of the best assets to online learning I've seen in recent years. With our virtual learning system in which back-and-forth conversation (a more traditional lecture style) is not currently possible, the quiz tool allows instructors to gauge student knowledge and understanding of everything taught so far, without requiring a grade for accuracy. So much more powerful than the old-fashioned approach of requiring a weekly forum post to promote "engagement"!

Canvas has a huge variety of learning tools that really enable instructors to customize their teaching styles. Instructors who use it to the best of their abilities really empower their students to learn, even in this crazy virtual world.

Cons

The platform can be difficult to navigate at times—it's not a particularly intuitive design—and materials can get lost or overlooked (not a great situation when grades are involved!). In addition, it doesn't always play nicely with certain web browsers or ad blockers. If it's best accessed under certain settings, that should be clearly communicated!

Christian

Reviewed on 28/02/2022

CANVAS-A Great LMS

Overall Canvas has made my job as a professor more fluid and convenient. It has saved me many hours of time and has provided my students with a great tool to succeed in college. I have a very positive opinion of this LMS and am glad my institution uses it. There are some things about it that I am not too happy with, but the positives greatly outweigh the negatives.

Pros

The thing I like most about Canvas is the user interface and the ease of use. Canvas makes it very easy to provide students with all course materials that used to be copied and handed out in class. Not only does this save time and effort, but it is great for the environment. I have been trained several times on Canvas though it is quite easy to learn and use. Once you become accustomed to the nuances of using it, you start to appreciate its design. I really appreciate the tools that are available with Canvas such as the attendance feature and the ability to integrate publisher's materials.

Cons

The thing I like least about Canvas is the lack of ease of importing test banks from publishers. I am not sure if this is due to Canvas or the publishers. But I try to avoid using quizzes as much as possible. I hate to type 60 questions and answers for each test and for each class. I usually give 5 exams per class and I typically teach 3 different classes.

Setareh
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 19/04/2023

Create and present your online learning materials quickly and easily with Canvas

Overall, Canvas is an excellent learning management software that can make a significant difference in how instructors teach and learners learn. It provides you with various useful features that are easy to use. If you are an instructor at school or university, Canvas can help you be more productive and efficient at work.

Pros

I use Canvas for online classroom, online tests, and online training. I work remotely as a lecturer besides my reserach work, and Canvas has been really great for me. I am satisfied with Canvas. It helps me save time and be more productive. Canvas has a simple, intuitive interface that makes it easy for teachers and students to use. My students also do not have any complaints about Canvas. Canvas works seamlessly across desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones, making it easy for students to access coursework from anywhere.Canvas also integrates with a range of learning tools, including Google Drive, Microsoft Office, and Box, among others. I find Canvas integration capability very useful and critical. Canvas allows me to customize course pages and assignments to suit my specific needs.I use Canvas everyday and I couldn't be happier.

Cons

I do not have any specific dislikes for Canvas. The only thing I can mention is that it is a cloud-based platform that requires an internet connection to function, which can be problematic in areas with poor connectivity. Canvas is very reliable and secure. I recommend it.

Magali
  • Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

Reviewed on 06/03/2019

Learn and teach comfortably with Canvas

You can start using this platform for your academic purposes with confidence. In spite of all the above-mentioned disadvantages, generally, the platform works without any serious problem. I’m confident that students who prefer distant learning and the teachers who like online teaching will really appreciate Canvas LMS.

Pros

The platform is very easy and flexible to navigate so, you can be sure that you’ll never be lost while searching for the material you need. Besides, you can add text, upload pictures and videos without difficulty. In addition to this if you know how to work with HTML code you can have the design you like. The next thing that I like about Canvas is that you can communicate with your teacher and fellow students easily. You can send an email to your teacher or start a chat with your classmates. Canvas is used by educational institutions for two purposes: either for creating courses that are taught exceptionally online or for blending the traditional way of teaching with online one. This platform is especially useful for students who always need to find all the material on their course online, including the textbooks, lectures, homework, individual works and of course, their grades and attendance. Canvas makes collaboration between teachers and students more effective and fruitful.

Cons

It is fascinating to know that the Canvas app is available on mobile devices. However, the app needs some improvements because some features are still not available there and notifications sometimes don’t pop up.
The platform successfully cooperates and works with third-party vendors. However, I should mention that some programs do not work well and obviously they need to get improvements.
And finally, there sometimes some glitches may occur but I wish the platform could work more smoothly.

• Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 11/10/2018

Has its limits, but still the best out there

There is a paid version that you can do too. It's very expensive, and we found it still didn't quite meet our needs. For universities it probably would do the trick, but if you're a small education program, stick with Free for Teacher. Even with its little hassles, Canvas is still the best online classroom you can find out there.

Pros

We use the Free for Teacher edition. When it comes to setting up courses, having assignments, files, students, deadlines, and grades set up, it's pretty simple. Not a lot of trouble getting things put together. You can integrate videos, there's a conference capability called Big Blue Button that allows all the members of the course to video in with each other and you can share screen and everything. It has been a big help allowing our students to have a portal to do their assignments, and connect with everyone in the class.

Cons

One of the nuances to Canvas that is difficult is limiting what teachers can see. By that I mean we have two different types of courses that we run.

One is an individual cohort of a few students and a director. The only way to make these closed down to just these members is to create a duplicate of the course and put those members in. Not a terrible thing, but then the courses start to stack up with all the different cohorts you have going. Plus, there's not really a way to have any updates filter down into all the same semester courses. So if we want to make an update on Semester 1, we have to go into each individual course and update it. There's also no way to update deadlines when you copy a course. So I have to change every assignment's due date so it fits in the new semester's timeline.

The other kind of course that we have is an open course that anyone can jump into, and then we assign a TA to grade certain students. The problem with this is that there's no way to limit the TA's view of who is in the course. So it shows them that there are dozens of students' work that needs to be graded in their To-Do List and makes it difficult for them to know when their assigned students have actually submitted anything. Haven't been able to find a work around for this yet.

Reviewed on 02/01/2019

College course management program for students, faculty, and staff

Pros

After my university switched over to Canvas as the preferred course management software, I was happy to finally have a user-friendly interface to work with. The menu is not cluttered and all tabs and icons are easy to find. One of the main advantages of Canvas is the ability to easily sync a school email account and get live notifications when items and assignments are posted.

Professors can also setup calendars that help remind students of exam, project, and homework due dates. Students can also setup discussions or threads within their respective courses, which is useful when a lot of students have a similar question. Saves the professor time from having to answer 50 emails about the same question.

Cons

The notification system, both as a student and professor, is not the most efficient system. Canvas is meant to have a built-in emailing program. This creates a lot of confusion when students send messages via Canvas (which is linked to a school email account) and separately send messages directly from their school email. I've encountered times where it was not clear how to send a message directly to particular member of the course, and ended up emailing the entire class by accident.

Professors often alternate between general email notifications and "Dashboard" notifications within Canvas. It makes it confusing for students as to where exactly to look for course related information. I find this lack of streamlining for notifications to be the biggest drawback.