About Edsby

Edsby® is an award-winning, next generation K-12 learning management system (LMS) with the broadest set of capabilities available in a single application made just for the specific needs of K-12 students, educators and parents....

Browse Edsby Reviews

Aaron S. Aaron S.

Reviewed on 24/04/2018

It is exactly what I've been looking for.

Pros

The ease and familiarity of a social media platform with the security and transparency of educational software. I can respond to my students questions from anywhere in the world at anytime and I know that our interaction is transparent for their security and mine.

Cons

The gradebook takes some getting used to and doesn't have all of the functionality of a dedicated platform.

• Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Reviewed on 12/11/2018

Everything you need in one place

Edsby has been very easy to work with. They are responsive and work to find compromises where our district may do something different from the norm. The software has grown significantly over last 5 years and includes much more than we originally planned, making Edsby a powerful tool in our district for communicating with students and parents.

Pros

As a parent, I want to be able to see everything my students are doing quickly and easily. Edsby allows easy access to all of my students (I have 4 at 4 different schools!) from one dashboard for any grade level. It doesn't matter if I'm on the mobile app or in the browser, the information is easy to access. I can also reach out directly to their teachers. Recent updates have also enabled push notifications about class updates and messaging. My students enjoy it too as it makes it easy for them to keep up to date on what's going on in their classes - NO MORE SURPRISES!
As a district software administrator, Edsby is incredibly easy to manage. The super search feature allows me to quickly and easily access student or teacher information when assisting schools with troubleshooting questions. Granular permissions make sure that the correct people have access to the correct information and not more than they need. EdsbyLink ensures that data imports match our current Student Information System.

Cons

New features come fast! Its hard to keep teachers informed of new features as they arrive and help them use the features to their fullest capabilities.

Brian T. Brian T.
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Reviewed on 20/10/2017

Still in start-up mode

Custom report cards. 3rd party LMS instead of internal LMS.

Pros

Meets our government regulatory compliance requirements. Awesome gradebook. Solid report cards. Pulls parent contact information, student contact information, teacher contact information, rooms and schedules from our SIS nightly. Changes are not updated in real time, but are updated within one day.

Cons

New features and updates are rolled out seemingly at the last minute. (ie 7pm notification of an overnight upgrade). Does not match the school year. Pull integration only with our SIS. Rigid roles. Parent account creation for parents that we want to authenticate with AD is problematic. Support department is only 2 people. Attendance is difficult. Does not allow users with multiple roles, ie teacher who is also a parent. Developments don't necessarily match school year. Lacks a threaded discussion board. Planning does not support backwards design. Calendars do not at this point have iCal feeds. No internal auditing of planned absences, so if a planned absence exists for a group or a class, if there is a change in the enrollment of the group or class, the planned absence is not modified for the user who changed enrollment. No list of known issues.

Top Edsby Alternatives

Angelica A. Angelica A.

Reviewed on 21/05/2019

Edsby is a reliable helper.

I work in education and with Edsby I can communicate with all parents, I have access to all the students information and data, I love the graphs generated and I am really looking forward to using it during interviews with parents. An image speaks louder than words abd EDSBY is an advocate for both students and teachers voices.

Pros

I loved the pedagogical documentation features.I can take a picture or a video of my student and all their hands on work. This is work that when my students would finish, it would be lost, the manipulatives would be placed in bins and their thinking would not be documented unless I would go around and had enough time to take anecdotal notes for all students on that project. Edsby saves me time, helps me organise my students work, values students voice and participation, helps record all of the assessment as learning done in the classroom.

Cons

I feel that the planner feature needs a lot of improvements. I would love to do all my planning online and then have a potential supply have direct access to them before coming to my classroom. It would also be a great tool to creating equitable working environments where all teachers use the same planners and are not "judged" on their technological literacy.

Meredyth C. Meredyth C.

Reviewed on 26/09/2017

Mostly positive--I like being able to do my planning and documentation and gradebook in one...

Better communication with parents and students and more timely feedback. Helps me build a better portfolio on each student so I can look at the whole picture during reporting.

Pros

User friendly and intuitive. It's a great communication tool to connect with parents, too, as they can see feedback. I like that I can make observations about students and record anecdotal notes.

Cons

Uploading documents to attach to lesson plans rarely works--I often type a whole lesson and then when I try to attach resources it doesn't work and I have to eventually close and then my lesson isn't saved. I don't like that I can't print my lessons, either. I've asked several times for this to be an option.

Jennifer H. Jennifer H.

Reviewed on 12/06/2020

Does the job, could be better

Overall, Edsby is a decent product that managed all of the basics, but there is much that can be improved upon. It would behoove the developer to sit with an actively working teacher over time and see how the product is working and find the gaps that could be improved.

Pros

I like the ability to be able to copy an assignment to multiple classes rather than creating it multiple times. I also like the ability to create assignments student can complete online with auto grading. That is a huge time saver.

Cons

There were quite a few things that could be improved. The reporting of progress alerts was not the best and the presentation of a line graph as the first view for students as opposed to actually seeing the list of assessments with scores was always problematic. Many students never figure out to click on the next tab and never had a good grasp on their scores. Also, there were some features that were really handy that I NEVER knew about in 3 years of using this product, until all the e-learning took place and there became a sea of information to sort through. Although overall a decent product, I could continue...

Response from Edsby

Thanks for the feedback, Jennifer. Glad you, like many teachers at SDHC, recently learned about other things Edsby can do beyond just report cards. Thanks for the suggestion of making the student "My Work" line graph not the default student view of assessments on browser logins. We're constantly receiving educator feedback and improving the product. Appreciate you taking the time.

Replied 07/07/2020
John V. John V.

Reviewed on 26/09/2017

Incredible way to efficiently communicate what is happening in the class with students and ...

Pros

Students can get assignments and information from the class. Parents can view when assignments and tests are due. Parents and students can follow their progression in the class, which prevents surprises at the end of the semester. Easy messaging system for staff, students and parents.

Cons

Sometimes students rely on the information on Edsby too much and don't take responsibility for their own keeping track of assignments. As an administrator, it seems like I can't get rid of old groups which then clutters the management page of groups

Jay E. Jay E.

Reviewed on 13/10/2016

A great tool if you buy into it

Although there are always some kinks to work out Edsby is a useful tool for both educators and students, however, it needs a full adoption in order for the true benefits to take effect. I look forward to the continued improvements.

Pros

Helping kids organize their assignments and work schedules.

Cons

The app is in need of upgrades and certain glitches are left for too long at times making it difficult to sell people on.

Michael N. Michael N.

Reviewed on 13/10/2019

Edsby Gradebook Gets an A

I really like that the platform is available on desktop, tablet, and iOS/Android. I have had many parents tell me how easy it is to keep track of student grades.

Pros

I like that there were options for students to have digital assignments. I like the “poll” options. I like that it is easy to communicate with my students and other teachers.

Cons

I would have liked to make a way to transfer grades when a student transfers classes.

Excellent Student Management Tool

I've used Edsby as a teacher and a school administrator. As a teacher, Edsby has been an excellent tool to collect evidence of learning and calculate final marks. It's also been a very useful tool for communicating with students and their families. As an administrator, Edsby is very useful for accessing student contact information. We use it as an attendance management tool and the feedback has been positive.

Pros

Ease of access; ease of finding information; ability to tailor content specific to school's needs; user interface for administrators and end users

Cons

Wait times to speak with customer service can be frustrating

Avital A. Avital A.

A great LMS! Interactive and easy to use

Daily analytics, communications, LMS

Pros

Platform, report cards, features, interactivity, customer service (BOB), notifications, groups, platform, security

Cons

It is missing an important feature where teachers should be able to message students ONLY - That is a feature the company had and removed - promising to bring back and improve - has not happened yet.

Kimberly L. Kimberly L.

Reviewed on 26/09/2017

Great tool to communicate!

Easy communication - parents are able to communicate with teachers - and vice versa.

Pros

Easy to access all kids and staff and parents! When there is a message I need to send to students who I do not teach - I can find them and communicate with them easily!

Cons

Things get 'lost' in rivers... they need to be 'bumped' to find them again... I have a hard time finding documents that were shared earlier - as they are pushed to the bottom..

Wendy B. Wendy B.

Best Purchase I've Made

Pros

I love the ease of it! It took us less than 2 hours to get up and running. It has improved the communication between staff and with our parents

Cons

I'd like to be able forward messages to other people. Right now we have to cut and paste.

Michael P. Michael P.

Great

Love it! Wish more trainings~

Pros

I"m a teacher who uses your anecdotal and gradebook! Amazing. All in one place!

Cons

1 I wish we could print off individual subject grades though!

Angela T. Angela T.

Reviewed on 17/11/2021

Customer service non existent

There is no customer service once you've signed on to Edsby. If you have any problems you're on your own.

Pros

It helps parents and teachers communicate.

Cons

There is no customer service to deal with issues that come up.

Response from Edsby

Angela, sorry you're encountering support issues. If you're an Edsby teacher or school or district administrator, did you know there's a blue question mark at the bottom right of every Edsby screen? That's a hotline to Edsby Support from us, the vendor. You can also post in any Edsby feedback or help group on your Edsby system for answers from peers, and often from Edsby Support itself. There are also text files and videos and other options here, incl. our ticketing system: https://www.edsby.com/support/ - our customers are never on their own. Contact me if you need a contact at Edsby.

Replied 22/11/2021
Janice S. Janice S.

Reviewed on 26/09/2017

It does some cool extras but has lost some basic necessities.

Pros

Communication capabilities within the program that allow for greater communication of various sizes and groups within the school.

Cons

some missing basic necessities like easy printing of student database lists (I do alot of out of class events & having access to printing lists based on grades or gender etc) & grades (switching between percent/levels/out of).

Ligia L. Ligia L.
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 26/09/2017

Edsby Support has always been very helpful as they always seek the resolution to the issue.

Pros

We use this in Elementary and Middle School. Easy way to keep parents and students informed of assignments and how the student is doing. Report card process is easy.

Cons

If the district has some weird issue with a charter school account it can affect Edsby and Edsby has to work with the district. For Report Cards, it would be nice to have an extra day to "fix" report cards after reports can be run by the district.

Cassandra W. Cassandra W.

Reviewed on 26/09/2017

I use it for attendance - struggle to figure out how to use it for much else.

Easy attendance

Pros

I like that it has pictures of the students. There seems to be lots of uses but can't figure out how to set it up for my program

Cons

Lack of tutorials, lacks back buttons to take you to the previous page - which the students pictures could be enlarged for better viewing

Katie S. Katie S.

Reviewed on 24/04/2018

It has been user friendly

I can keep track of online grades easily

Pros

I can communicate to students, easy to maneuver grades, print out of blank rosters and I like how it updates frequently the student list

Cons

Still trying to figure out how to enter a 90 in the same column for everyone besides doing every single one individually

Shelley H. Shelley H.

Reviewed on 14/10/2016

My Edsby experience

The product and support are great.
They always try to improve the product by adding desired functionality.

Pros

It is a one stop shop for educational engagement for staff, students and parents.

Cons

Occasionally updates break other functionality that was previously working.

Grace C. Grace C.

Reviewed on 20/03/2018

Good value

Pros

most comprehensive learning and analytics platform available for K-12, engaging students, parents and teachers on all of their devices

Cons

combines social networking with class and student management features
Not sure if it's appropriate for young children

Vanessa Z. Vanessa Z.
  • Industry: Medical Practice

Reviewed on 02/11/2016

Great software

It was easy to use. The instruction sheet clearly showed me how to enter data.

Jeanne W. Jeanne W.

Reviewed on 11/08/2020

Edsby Communication Tool

Daily use of Edsby is cohesive and timely. The staff at Edsby are always there to help.

Pros

Edsby offers a very successful communication tool to schools. Edsby links, Administrators, Teachers, Students and Parents with day to day knowledge of the academic and personal progress of students.

Cons

With COVID 19 is would be great if Edsby could integrate Edusafe Screening with their program.

Blackbaud Raiser's Edge NXT

Reasons for Switching to Edsby

pricing

Response from Edsby

Thanks, Jeanne. Appreciate you taking the time to share your impressions of Edsby. We're looking at how to best capture medical screening data. Watching for data standards to solidify.

Replied 18/08/2020
Cristina B. Cristina B.
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 11/11/2018

Edsby Feedback

Overall I would continue to use edsby in hope that it becomes less glitchy through final stages of piloting of new features, however I would not recommend its use to staff members who are not digitally strong or for staff members who have special education students as it is currently difficult to incorporate many students into the platform. For some teachers, there is a larger amount of patience, unreliability, and problems at this point.

Pros

I appreciate the interconnectedness of all features and the flexibility of features. The features strongly support teaching practices through Ministry outlined documents such as "Growing Success". The Classroom (Parent & Students), and gradebook are very powerful features. The team is quick to apply feedback to make improvements to workflow and many time-saving features. Edsby offers the ability to collect qualitative data and process it quickly and easily in a manner that students, teachers and parents can understand. The capacity of the calendars and classroom river feeds far surpass many other platforms currently available. Students can have access to a modern classroom and new ways of learning that will support their learning immediately and in the real world.

Cons

The software often has bugs, and difficulty running some scripts. The platform sometimes creates redundancies through teachers and students. The number of redundancies sometimes make it difficult(slow) to use the platform efficiently. Ex. The form to adjust staff assignments and student assignments cannot be edited by admin since it can only be opened to all schools. Staff have access to more student records and other staff records that they should not. Looking forward to a sufficient solution to this problem and more consideration for classrooms that have different structures (ex. Special Education, students with modified schedules or schedules that are continuing to change).

Response from Edsby

Thanks for the candid feedback. Researching your issues, I learned Edsby had some problems at your district -- YRDSB, 123,000 students on Edsby at 200 schools! -- the first few months of this school year (2018-2019) but we're confident we've solved many of them. Re: staff access to student panoramas in some cases (such as in groups), we're looking at making all of these cases customer-configurable. Many private school customers demand Edsby give teachers access to all information on every student in their school, everywhere, but some public districts want more restrictive policies. Making this work exactly the way each customer wants it is something we're committed to. It just takes engineering time and prioritization with everything else desired in Edsby. Look for improvements an upcoming release. Thanks for taking the time to write.

Replied 29/11/2018
Lesley A. Lesley A.

Reviewed on 26/09/2017

Edsby is great - there are tons of great features and it's user-friendly.

Online test option, seating plan, calendar function, student and parent communication, attaching files/assignments for absent students, due dates, etc.

Pros

I like the fact that I can communicate with students and parents in terms of due dates, test dates, missed work (I post what I do in class everyday and attach any assignments), as well as progress in the course (missing assignments, marked assignments, etc.).

Cons

I don't like how I can't enter multiple mark sets at time. I also wish there were attendance sheets with dates at the top (not the blank mark sheets). I also wish we could make our own names for what goes in the mark bucket (the drop-down list is good, but I wish I could choose the names of some of my items - example: "Fitness" for phys ed class). I wish there was a save function for report carding because I've had it happen where I've lost my internet connection and therefore, lost my recent comments for students.