About RUN Powered by ADP

The RUN Powered by ADP® (RUN) solution is designed to make your small business payroll quick and easy. With a streamlined process and powerful technology, you'll complete payroll in no time. Choose from basic payroll to a full...

Browse RUN Powered by ADP Reviews

Heather

Reviewed on 05/12/2017

I've been an ADP user since 1999 and it's always been growing with us!

Pros

Constant updates and ADP actually listens to the feedback of their customers. I LOVE having a dedicated manager to answer my questions or to direct me in the right direction.

Cons

I wish that when setting up a new tax that needs an ID #, that ADP would handle contacting the state for id #'s, etc.

Response from ADP

Hi Heather -

Thank you for providing a positive review of our WFN platform. We appreciate your business and loyalty to ADP!

Replied 07/12/2017
Melinda
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 15/03/2022

Great software

My overall experience with ADP RUN was phenomenal, not only because I loved the user-friendly site that made my life as the administrator so much easier, but the customer service I received was top-notch! I had my own personal representative every step of the way. Any time I needed anything and reached out whether it was via email, text, or phone I would get an immediate response. I loved RUN so much that I made multiple referrals to them. Did you know that you can earn gift cards that you can use anywhere when you refer someone who signs up with ADP?! And each time you refer another person/business the amount of the gift card increases!!

Pros

What I like most about the ADP RUN software is how user-friendly it is. You can literally be a first-time user with no instruction at all and successfully execute any task. The way the site is laid out makes it very easy to find what you're looking for. If you're not 100% sure what it is that you need but you have an idea you can even type a keyword into the search and all of the options associated with that word will pop up and trust me, you'll answer will be there!

Cons

The thing that I liked least about ADP Software was the GPS tracking feature. It does offer a feature that will show you the location of the employee when they clock in and out but that's it. For my business I really needed more out of this feature like geo-fencing for each job location and for me to be able to get an alert if the employee clocked in/out outside of the job location. ADP RUN does not offer those additional features.

Reasons for Choosing RUN Powered by ADP

With Heartland Payroll I received only payroll processing and that's it. Sure, it was extremely inexpensive, but I got no other support from them. After I switched to ADP RUN I found out that there were so many things that I wasn't doing for my company that I should've been. Because of the lack of guidance from Heartland I was truly missing out.

Heartland Payroll

Reasons for Switching to RUN Powered by ADP

What made me choose ADP RUN over other payroll processing providers was the customer service I would receive for my money (which isn't expensive at all) as opposed to paying close to nothing for a payroll service that gave me no benefits whatsoever.

Response from ADP

Melinda,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review of RUN Powered by ADP?.

How wonderful to hear that RUN? provides you with the information and access you require at your fingertips, empowering you to focus on your business!

We appreciate your valuable insights!

-Your RUN Powered by ADP? Team

Replied 17/03/2022
Russell

Reviewed on 07/06/2022

Stale product, but flexible payroll processing

It is a competent system as long as you only need to access it from a desktop browser. The pricing is “OK” for wholesale clients with more than 5 employees.

Pros

It is very easy to make on the fly adjustments to paychecks, such as overriding the amount of withholding, recording an advance repayment, etc.

Overall the system is easy to use.

The payroll for my accounting firm is free, which is appreciated.

Cons

In 2022 one STILL cannot access the Run Oayroll website from a mobile phone. This is inexcusable and something I have been asking them to correct for more than 15 years. The site automatically redirects to the mobile app, which still, after 15 years, can’t be used for wholesale accounts like mine. It is beyond aggravating.

Gusto

Reasons for Switching to RUN Powered by ADP

Gusto makes it nearly impossible to change paychecks on the fly.

Response from ADP

Russell,

We thank you for your feedback of RUN Powered by ADP® and are glad to hear you find ease of use and flexibility with your payroll.

Your feedback regarding mobile access has been passed along to our Product Team for review.

We value your partnership on your payroll and HCM needs.

-Your RUN Powered by ADP Team

Replied 09/06/2022

Top RUN Powered by ADP Alternatives

Square Payroll

QuickBooks Online Advanced

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Chad

Reviewed on 22/11/2022

Run will help your small business

Pros

It is very user friendly. For small business it gets the job done. I would encourage everyone to get their HR support and the legal club. That gets you access to lawyers for a 30 minute consultation and can help you make the right decision for your company. Payroll, taxes, garnishments, and more become very easy to do when you have Run.

Cons

After you get over 50 people it's limitations start to become apparent. Sometimes the system glitches and a raise you put in doesn't happen on the paycheck. The customer support is often not based in America but it isn't terrible. The worst part about the customer support are they waits, but over the past few months they have gotten shorter.

Roxanne
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 22/05/2021

Doing payroll in ADP in VERY easy!

Since I didn't do payroll before I started working at my current position, I feel that it is fairly easy to use. If I can learn to use it, anyone can.

Pros

I like the ease of running all of the reports and that most of the ones you need are listed as standard reports. They also prepared PPP loan reports as standard reports to make your life easier.

Cons

I don't like that when you have to divide salary employees into different accounts that it only keeps the first amount you put in. You have to manually add the other amounts every time.

Reasons for Choosing RUN Powered by ADP

We switched because we decided that we didn't want to be a part of their employee base. And the cost of their 401K plan was very expensive.

Reasons for Switching to RUN Powered by ADP

They came in at an inexpensive rate and we could choice to just get the portion to run payroll.

Response from ADP

Roxanne,

We thank you for your review of RUN Powered by ADP? and couldn't be happier to hear that our product delivers for you.

Adding value through our services and giving you time back into your day through our products is truly what we strive for and we are pleased to hear that has been the experience for you.

-Your RUN Powered by ADP? Team

Replied 24/05/2021
William
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 15/02/2021

The customer service is outstanding even late at night.

I have been using this software and ADP for 5 years. There have been more than a few times where something went seriously wrong on a payroll day and I was not able to run the payroll at my normal time. Inevitably, I am up late finishing it, "Murphy's law" happens, and I run into a problem on that particular night. It is nice to know I can get help when I need it.

Pros

This is easy to use and set up payroll software if you use ADP for payroll. When you sign up with ADP then you are given a dedicated customer service team that specializes in teaching you how to use the software. After about 60 days they allow you to call into their 24-hour customer service team from then on into the future. If you are ever stuck late at night trying to finish payroll and run into a problem, they answer the phone and help you solve the issue so can finish the job.

Cons

ADP is more expensive than a local payroll company. Although I like to support local small businesses like mine, it is nice to know that the payroll will be done right the first time. Your employees will appreciate it.

Reasons for Choosing RUN Powered by ADP

Reliability and certainty that my tax payments would be made for the business on time.

Reasons for Switching to RUN Powered by ADP

My accountant at the time had some experience from clients using it and recommended it to me to use.

Response from ADP

William,

We welcome all feedback to ensure RUN Powered by ADP? continues to empower small businesses to more efficiently manage their payroll and HCM needs. We are glad to hear you find a user friendly experience within RUN along with quality support from the RUN Service Team.

Thank you for the feedback on the fee structure. We are always working to enhance RUN and delight our users so we value your insights.

- Your RUN Powered by ADP? Team

Replied 16/02/2021
Cleo
  • Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 14/07/2020

Great payroll platform!

Overall, my experience with RUN Powered by ADP has been great. They provide good customer service support, especially if you use the Workers' Compensation services.

Pros

I've been using ADP for more than two years now. We switched to ADP from Paychex, and I can say it was a smart decision. RUN Powered by ADP is friendly to use. The onboarding process is quick and easy, and the payroll processing feature is complete.

Cons

The only thing that I believe ADP could improve is its pricing for extra features. The basic bundle is complete, but if you want to add features (i.e. child support options for employees) you have to switch to higher bundles.

Gusto

Reasons for Choosing RUN Powered by ADP

ADP is friendlier and easier to use on a daily basis. Also, it is less expensive.

Reasons for Switching to RUN Powered by ADP

Response from ADP

Cleo,

We are thrilled to hear of your positive experience beginning at on boarding and on to running payroll with ease! We value your partnership and appreciate your feedback.

-Your RUN? Service Team

Replied 24/08/2020
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 09/06/2020

Payroll Taxes

It is not different than Paychex. Just big corporate software. It works well, but if you have a problem you are working with giant companies. Not sure with Paychex, but ADP customer service was horrific.

Pros

Actual payroll processing and data entry of employees and payroll is easy.

Cons

I had payroll tax issues that were not resolved by customer service, and in fact were made worse, causing a fine and back taxes.

Reasons for Switching to RUN Powered by ADP

It seemed easier and less time consuming, but in the end, when payroll taxes were entered incorrectly, it turned into a nightmare.

Response from ADP

Thank you for your review of RUN Powered by ADP?.

We love hearing that RUN Powered by ADP? is not only easy and intuitive for you, but it also streamlines your payroll processing. Our RUN? Service Team would like to ensure your tax concerns are resolved, we look forward to connecting with you.

As always, we strive to add value to your organization and add time back into your day through our products and services enabling you to focus on what matters most.

- Your RUN Powered by ADP? Team

Replied 10/07/2020
Hannah

Reviewed on 22/07/2022

Huge time saver

Pros

The ability to run payroll quickly and easily was a huge draw. The biggest benefit is the knowledge that we are compliant with all of the ever changing tax requirements. All of our taxes are paid automatically which is also a huge time saver. I'm excited to see how it helps with year-end reporting.

Cons

Integration with the desktop version of Sage 50 was a little cumbersome. It works, but doesn't import the data in the way that we were used to. It's just fine, but not perfect. Setup happened at the end of a quarter and took a little bit too much back and forth to get working properly. Support wait times were unusually high.

Samantha
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Reviewed on 11/05/2022

User Friendly and Time Saver

We have had an absolutely wonderful experience with ADP Run. The set up was easy and they walked us through every step getting started. Their help functions are awesome and always help me with any questions quickly and efficiently. I love how user friendly their portal is and the employee portal is a great help for all of our employees to track their weekly pay.

Pros

The portal is so user friendly and the online chat function is great and easy to get help

Cons

I have had no problems with this program.

Response from ADP

Samantha,

Thank you for your review of RUN Powered by ADP?.

We love hearing that our RUN Powered by ADP? is easy and intuitive for you!

We appreciate your feedback and as always we continue to strive to add value to your organization and to add time back into your day through our products and services.

- Your RUN Powered by ADP? Team

Replied 16/05/2022
Jillian

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

Run Powered By ADP Is So Easy To Use!

I save so much more time using RUN by ADP for payroll and employee management. It takes a lot off of my plate and the fact that I can access it from anywhere is a wonderful bonus. The app works so well on my phone that I've processed payroll while out of town many times with no trouble at all. Payroll should be quick, simple, accessible and ADP RUN delivers on all of those needs.

Pros

The ADP Run payroll platform has been making my life as an office manager easier since 2011. I recommend it to anyone asking about payroll platforms and I hope my office never changes. There are so many behind the scenes things that RUN does for you, like the pesky calculations to see which part-time employees qualify as full-time and have to be counted for the ACA insurance requirements. Done! ADP does that time equivalency for you! State new-hire reporting? ADP does that for you too. Entering employees and processing payroll is a breeze! The payroll reports are thorough and the W-2 processing and mailing is all done by them as well. If you haven't used ADP before then do yourself a favor and call them, you won't regret it.

Cons

My main complaint would be on the employee side of the software. Employees can access their paycheck stubs through a platform called Employee Access. I like that it's available and I can manage it on the RUN side but sometimes the website is buggy. The employees say the app on their phones works better than the website. So you will have to reset passwords at times. I hope ADP addresses the glitches with that website.

Response from ADP

Jillian,

Thank you for your feedback on RUN Powered by ADP?!

We are happy to hear that RUN? offers you features and functionality that are easy to use and efficient, especially when on the go! I have passed along your product feedback in regards to Employee Access, would like to hear more detail on the website issues your employees experienced.

We value your long standing relationship and appreciate you taking the time to provide these insights on your experience!

- Your RUN Powered by ADP? Team

Replied 10/12/2019
Juanita
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 22/01/2022

Great product with inconsistent customer service

I have not found a better more affordable option. It does everything I need it to do and requires very little effort on my end. I appreciate that it just requires me to tap a few buttons to rub my payroll. I need something that is quick and easy.

Pros

The website and mobile app are very easy to use. Being able to run payroll on the go is very helpful but you can’t add an employee from the mobile app.

Cons

I hate that I can’t add an employee from the app. It has made it difficult sometimes. I also despise the long wait times for customer service. They have a call back option that they say you won’t lose your spot using but it generally takes hours to get a call back. That’s an absurd amount of time.I also hate the nonstop sales calls. I had to threaten to close all my accounts to get the calls to stop. The timekeeping with adp run was a nightmare. If there are any errors it causes issues with running payroll from the app.

QuickBooks Payroll and QuickBooks Online Advanced

Reasons for Switching to RUN Powered by ADP

Ease of use and the app functionality.

Response from ADP

Juanita,

We are happy to hear that overall you find ease of use and helpful functionality within RUN Powered by ADP®.

We appreciate your feedback on the Mobile app and wait times and have passed this along for review.

Your feedback is very important to us here at ADP so we thank you for the review.

- Your RUN Powered by ADP® Team

Replied 02/02/2022

Reviewed on 02/08/2018

Makes Payroll Simple and Easy

Pros

I used RUN powered by ADP with a company I previously owned with 5 employees. For probably all business owners doing payroll, withholding, and taxes is the biggest stress. RUN was a simple and easy to use for my payroll. You can change employees hours or wages each week by logging into their web portal. It takes no time at all to process the payroll. For the salary employees it was simple to have a reoccurring payroll payment to them every two weeks. It will send the employees all of their information for their direct deposits. The employee can also login to see all his or her information.

Best of all at the end of the year the taxes and forms paperwork is all taken care of for you. They will automatically send out the W2s to the employees. This relieves a lot of stress at the end of the year when it comes to taxes.

I had to call customer service a few times for questions and help. Their customer service is top notch and very helpful. They have logged into my computer and showed me everything I needed to know.

This is a great option for payroll for businesses.

Cons

The only con I could mention is the cost for the service. Of course we all want things to be less expensive but this was a little more expensive than most payroll services. The quality is outstanding so you definitely get what you pay for. RUN has so many extra features that most do not. Aside from the additional cost for RUN I would still recommend it from all the others I have used.

Ashley
  • Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 28/12/2018

RUN Powered by ADP Review

Overall I like ADP because it is a whole lot easier than the old way of doing things and it a lot easier than our other system. There are some quirks with it and it could stand to be a bit more modernized, but even still its a decent service that offers a lot of neat things that can be extremely useful.

Pros

As an employee I liked being able to log in and view my W-2s quickly as well as the employee handbook and PTO. As a person who also runs the payroll its nice being able to see an excel type form of all the employees across the board. I like being alerted when money is coming out so I know exactly whats going on especially since the funds came out earlier than what I thought. There is also a nice break down of everything. I like the idea of having all the employee perks that can be added on and will maybe be implementing more in the future. Lastly I liked being able to change some of the other employees banking information without too much of a hassle. There were 2 employees that changed banks shortly after getting ADP and requested their direct deposits go to their new banks and I assumed it would be a hassle to get them set up again, but it was pretty easy.

Cons

It took some time and frustration to set it up and even still its not fully functional as far as the perks that are promised with the service. We have the vendor discounts at different restaurants and stores as well as a retirement plan, but it took a bit of time to set it up because the rep that was assisting us couldn't get through to the customer service. Another thing I was not expecting was that the money was being withdrawn the night before the actual payday. I'm not sure if that is an ADP thing or just how things work sometimes as this is the first time I've run payroll. It was also frustrating having to log into multiple services. As an employee and then to run payroll. I set up 2 log ins, but I feel like if you are an employee running payroll everything should be in 1 space.

Joan M

Reviewed on 18/08/2017

The product is getting better over time.

Pros

The product is a good product, money value is cost effective, informative, easy to understand. I have used ADP for about 23 years. I have seen several products that were used. Technology moves fast and this product provides future assurance of meeting the technological needs that businesses will be looking for to help run their payrolls. Education of the product and how it links into the unemployment office and keeps records on our employees and their payroll tax needs is also very important The reports that are offered can provide endless data. I am appreciating all these features available to me as I focus on running the company as well. I need quick, friendly and understanding customer service attendants that can help with my unique needs for my employees. It is a product that NEVER CLOSES and this is invaluable as my hours of work never close. Thank you for all the support that is at my fingertips. I would not want it any other way. A product I can count on!

Cons

So many functions on one page that it sometimes loses its value of finding the right page for the right need. Maybe more pages with less on each page would make a person that is just starting out with ADP feel that it is more user friendly product.

Lindsey-Leigh

Reviewed on 01/12/2020

A decent product that gets the job done better than the servicer we had before.

For what we need it to do, it works and then some. Having all the reports available for us to run when we have audits is much better than having to request them and wait from our previous company.

Pros

For the most part, running payroll and managing employees is easy. If there is anything that you have difficulty with there is always an agent to walk you through how to get it done. It is nice that I can enter payroll from my computer, or my phone as I am sometimes out in the field when payroll needs to be run.

Cons

ADP can be VERY pushy about buying additional services from them. I find it quite annoying myself. They take a bit of a " if you don't get this services, this can happen" approach that I do not appreciate.

Response from ADP

Lindsey-Leigh,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review of RUN Powered by ADP?.

We value your trust and partnership on your payroll and HCM needs.

Replied 07/12/2020
Garrett
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 01/04/2019

A few rough edges

Pros

It's great having a platform to check my daily punches, pay statements, and time off requests. I can always trust that my requests will go where they need to without needing to follow up in a separate email.

Cons

There have been times where the website has been late recognizing my morning punch in, which has led to some confusion with my manager. Navigation on the mobile app feels a little counter intuitive compared to the main website, namely with pulling up my full time card; it would be great if the Clock page on the app had a shorcut to jump straight to the Time card page so I could easily access the full breakdown of my hours.

Also, though this is a small nitpick, the fact that the login page doesn't offer a simple prompt to re-enter your password drives me just a little nuts.

Elena
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 12/08/2019

Perfect for a small business like ours

Pros

We started using ADP Run about 5 months ago and by far I am very satisfied. The interface is easy and user friendly. Even when there is something I can't figure out how to do or just want to make sure I don't do wrong, they have this chat that is surprisingly quick and helpful. You get to speak with representative withing 2 min and they not only explain what to do, but also go in and do stuff for you. It is also really helpful that our employees can access their record via app. What is more, it is way more cost friendly than when we were outsourcing the payroll processing.

Cons

I really haven't encountered any problem yet. It seems to hit all the check marks we need. The only problem is that when we were starting they were a bit chaotic, not communicating between each other. We had a different point of connection every week, and it was somewhat frustrating. But despite this initial period, we have been running smoothly.

Response from ADP

Elena,

While I am sure I am not the first, I am very happy to welcome you to the ADP? family!

We are beyond thrilled to hear that you find RUN Powered by ADP? to be easy and accessible for both you and your employees. Partnering with you to make payroll and HR easy and effortless so that you can focus on your business is always front of mind for us.

Thank you for the valuable feedback. We look forward to connecting with you again.

- Your RUN Powered by ADP? Team

Replied 15/08/2019
Sean
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Reviewed on 07/03/2019

One of the best platforms out of all payroll processing companies for small businesses

There's a reason ADP is the biggest name out there. They haven't let me down yet, but I'll certainly post if they do!

Pros

the software seems very secure and has a lot of measures that are taken. Very easy to use, even for technologically inept people like me. The rep that sold me the software was extremely thorough.
Has a lot of features for payroll processing, tax reporting, and human resources features, and even workers comp integration.

Simply put, this software integrates nearly all financial and human resource aspects I need as a small business owner, other than banking. It even makes it easier to offer retirement benefits for my employees. It's not the cheapest software out there, but it is 100% worth the money.

Cons

On occasion, it logs me out or glitches if I process my payroll on wednesday (apparently that's the busiest day to process so the system gets overloaded). Sometimes gets annoying to have to make small changes or customize reports, but that's just part of the business.

Kenneth
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

Reviewed on 19/07/2022

ADP Run

ADP tends to start at low prices and increase become pricey after initial terms. Software is excellent. Customer service is average sometimes difficult to get answers.

Pros

Software is very intuitive easy to administer.

Cons

Customer Service/pricey after initial terms

Reviewed on 27/03/2018

Overall experience as Admin to use this tool is very decent.

Pros

This tool is used for Global Data management (HR & Payroll) by us. Features are very helpful and easy to understand by the end users. Reporting functions is very convenient to customize the report as per user request. This application is compatible with IE browser.

Cons

Time out of one log in session page is less.
It is very sensitive with any Java updates.
Application is not running in all browsers with ease.
Sometime will face issue of unexpected outage of the tool.

Response from ADP

Hi -

Thank you for your review of our Workforce Now system. I am glad the tool is very helpful and easy for you to use.

Replied 29/03/2018
Aaron

Reviewed on 30/08/2016

Great Solution for Automation in Small Business

Pros

RUN works well and is a simple solution for a small business looking to run payroll with great support. Automation is essential in a small business, especially when wearing many hats. RUN powers payroll without causing headaches and also allows me to focus on my business. The integration with WAVE is an added bonus, which is a free accounting/books software that's getting better with every update. Adjusting pay is easy and it is essentially on autopilot for my business. Check with your local certified accountant as you may be able to get a discount through them.

Cons

RUN can be expensive, especially when it is bundled with a simple IRA and investing account. Getting setup can take some time as well, especially if you are just starting out in your business. But its definitely worth the money to get the support and features that it offers.

frank

Reviewed on 25/08/2016

ADP - Power of Employee Resource

Pros

I am able to

Enroll in or change benefits information

Make changes related to life events such as marriage, moving, birth of a child

View pay statements and W-2 information

Change W-4 tax information

Set up direct deposit

Manage your 401(K) and retirement accounts

Update your contact information

Use online tools such as retirement planners or payroll calculators

Cons

Holds to much personal information at high risk of hacking

Roxanne
  • Industry: Civil Engineering

Reviewed on 25/02/2021

Overall Good Payroll Software

Overall my experience has been great. It is a reliable system with good customer service when needed. I can chat or call reps and reach someone fairly quickly.

Pros

The ease of editing employee information and calculating net pay for bonuses or final checks is great.

Cons

Some of the instructions are not very clear when it comes to setting up the paid time off (vacation and sick pay).

Response from ADP

Roxanne,

We welcome all feedback to ensure RUN Powered by ADP? continues to empower small businesses to more efficiently manage their payroll and HCM needs. We are happy to hear that RUN provides you with ease of use and top notch service.

We are sorry to hear of your experience with PTO instructions and have passed this feedback to our Product Team. We are always working to enhance RUN and delight our users.

Replied 01/03/2021
Emily
  • Industry: Professional Training & Coaching

Reviewed on 29/07/2019

Awesome, Simple, Integrated

We are a wholesale partner for ADP. There is no other software I could imagine offering to my clients. Set-up is easy and can be customized for your business's needs. Everything is one step and click and that makes administrative tasks so much less tedious.

Integrates seamlessly
Payroll done in 10 minutes or less

Cons

The time it takes to implement and set-up

Response from ADP

We thank you for your review of RUN Powered by ADP? and couldn't be happier to hear that our product delivers for both you and your clients.

Replied 31/07/2019