About Square Point of Sale

Square Point of Sale is a mobile POS system available for iOS and Android devices. Key capabilities of the Square POS system include online payment processing, sales reports, inventory tracking, digital receipts, Square marketing...

Browse Square Point of Sale Reviews

1,680 of 1,680 reviews
Mylinh T.
  • Industry: Alternative Medicine

Reviewed on 21/04/2020

Square POS app

This has been great with no problems! It allows me to bill anywhere and review my billing history. It gives me a breakdown of new clients and how many returning.

One thing I would like to see change is the 1099 form. It only gives me one if I sell more than $20K in products a year. I would like to be less and more flexible for small business owners!

Pros

This is portable and accessible from anywhere. I also like that I can send invoices, schedule a time for it to send and set up reminders to the client!

Cons

On the initial setup, my profession was not setup up properly so I was not able to accept HSA or FSA credit cards. It was because there was no option for me as an alternative healthcare provider. Customer service helped me and my issue was fixed!!

Shannon B.

Reviewed on 10/04/2020

Excellent POS Software

My overall experience with Square POS is amazing. I have recommended this app to so many people. I’ve known about this product since it’s beginning back when you could get a card reader for free on the mail. This app has always been a saving grace for me. Honestly I will never use any other POS.

Pros

This software is so EASY to use. Literally it’s a no brainer. I have used this app in conjunction with StylieOne which was an appointment scheduling app and it made collecting payments from my clients so simple. I love the sales and transaction reports that I have access to because it makes my life easier come tax time. Also this app sends you daily sales reports to your email. The equipment to use with the app is inexpensive.

Cons

There aren’t any cons to the service. Honestly it’s a great service all around. I can’t see how anyone would be disappointed.

Teria T.
  • Used Other for 1+ year

Reviewed on 15/04/2021

Great software

I do continue to use Square point of sale for my customers in-person as well as on my website. Overall, I do enjoy the software as it is very detailed and everything is done for you. You get invoices for each purchase.

Pros

I downloaded Square Point of Sale for my book signing. I loved it! It was easy to navigate for myself as well as my customers.

Cons

What I liked least is the percentage that it takes from the purchases. Also, it did appear with that first purchase, it required a few extra steps.

Michael M.

Reviewed on 21/08/2019

Love Square POs

Pros

The POS system is simple and easy to use hands down. The use of our POS integrated with online, loyalty program, marketing, and payroll is a one stop shop integrated and makes life simple and streamlined!

Cons

We paid the original higher cost for the register when it first came out. The price just dropped $200 this week. Our rate remains lower so it will pay for the difference over time since grandfathered in....not much we don’t Ice about this wonderful easy, all in one system!

Reviewed on 01/01/2019

There's room for improvement, but it's currently THE Point of Sale

Overall, as an independent artist, I'd recommend Square in a blink to anyone in that position. Free reader, easy to use, mobile...It's perfect. For small businesses, I'd also suggest Square - I've worked with the alternative, Clover, and it's so very slow and not as user friendly - but I think Square needs to continue evolving to keep up with those demands. And I'm sure they will given they've already created the flippable platform.

Pros

Square is simple to use and that's what makes it so popular. The card readers are simple, organizing your inventory is simple. It works really well for me as an independent artist at art fairs and such. I've never run into any trouble using it in that context.

The new flip screen platform is also super wonderful for retail stores and cafes as it takes the pressure off of the employee and the awkwardness of asking for tips etc... disappates. It also seems to run smoother by virtue of the platform not running other apps. Definitely love that Square is expanding their market to meet the needs of larger companies.

Cons

It gets overloaded and laggy pretty quickly when used in a more dense environment. When I've used Square at small businesses as a sales employee, I've experienced lag between pressing on an item and having it go to the item menu or add to the cart. Also, the free square readers that go into your audio jack are awfully temperamental with continued use and you either have to keep re-ordering them, or just buckle down and buy a reader. The only time the latter hasn't worked was when I had to be mobile while taking orders.

An ISBN scanner would also be super cool integration and would allow Square to be used in more places.

Judtih N.
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 31/03/2020

Great for accepting payments in person and online

The ability to accept payments in person without a long and intimidating application process is revolutionary and has helped us accept payments in person and also remotely when needed.

Pros

Square was our first payment processor after Paypal once this industry started innovating. At the time there was no API so it wasn't a complete solution but now they've caught up. The convenient device to accept payments at in person and the ability to key in payments through the app are still a USP of Square.

Cons

Square was a bit slow to get their API and start to integrate with 3rd parties so a lot of our online traffic shifted elsewhere. How ever this isn't a negative about the software as now they have a ton of great features. Nothing bad to say except integration with more online sites and invoicing software would be welcomed.

Summer T.
  • Industry: Sports

Reviewed on 03/07/2019

Get your moneys worth with Square

Pros

I like that it is portable; you don't need to connect it to a computer to run. I like that you can add items to keep track of what you sell. I like that the processing fees are lower than other POS systems.

Cons

I wish it didn't have to rely on wifi to process payments and could work on LTE when away from the desk. Even with the offline capabilities, you don't know if the payments when through correctly until you re-connect to wifi for them to process. I wish it could connect to the software program we use to accept payments via the web.

Leah N.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 08/10/2019

Easy and helpful

Pros

I use Square to accept all credit card payments when I'm at events. I took the time beforehand to enter all the different local state taxes and enter all of the items I sell. I especially like that I can list items for sale and not attach a price so if I need to change prices on the fly, I can just key in the new or updated price at the event.

Cons

The only thing I could complain about is the option to export or print out an invoice for each individual transaction. For tax purposes (and for my own records), I like to have a copy of each sale in print or pdf form that includes the customer name and what specifically I sold them. I sell big-ticketed items, so it's important for me to keep track of everything. When I contacted customer service, they were kind enough, but their solution was to take a screenshot of the info I was looking for. That's fine and all, but not really what I was looking for. When I'm at an event making a sale, I need to know more info than just the fact that someone bought something from me... anyway. Just a suggestion.

Cory P.
  • Industry: Research
  • Used Other for 2+ years

Reviewed on 22/08/2018

No Better Tool for Small Businesses or Artists

Pros

When I worked on commission as an artist, mostly scraping by a living by selling my wares at conventions or craft shows, Square was the single best companion I had. Not only was I cleared to take every type of credit card imaginable, which was amazing, but the customizability of the POS interface was stellar. I could prompt my customers to tip. I could quickly and easily change prices on my inventory, add buttons or lists of inventory, and re-organize my UI at the drop of a hat. I didn't even bother reading the instructions; I figured all this out on my own, through experimentation. Square POS makes the best use of a tablet's inherent intuitive design. Can you tap a screen? You can use Square.

Besides using it for my own side business, I've also worked for several small businesses (<30 employees) who used Square POS. Restaurants, convenience stores, tattoo studies, ice cream parlors - if you're selling something, Square POS can make your life simpler.

Cons

If I had to pick something I didn't like - and this is a stretch for me to do - it would be that the price for the dock and software can be steep for someone just getting started as an artist. But seeing as you get far more value than what you pay, I can barely call that a "con". This is a very safe investment.

Julia P.

Reviewed on 19/11/2019

Great product

Excellent. I highly recommend this software especially for people who do regular monthly invoicing.

Pros

I have used this product for years and love it! All the different things you can do with this are amazing!

Cons

The only thing I haven’t liked it that if you want one of their small business loans through the app you just have to wait for them to offer you one. You can’t request one.

Sandra M.

Reviewed on 16/10/2018

Great, simple and easy to use P.O.S. for many types of businesses

Overall, I used the Square POS for a limited time but during that time I liked the simplicity of its interface and its clean look.

Pros

I used the Square POS system along with the Square contactless and chip reader. What I liked about this product is its simplistic yet clean look and fits well in my business - did not take up too much space. I also liked how easy it was to learn the actual POS system. It was not complicated and very straight forward and I was able to quickly get it setup for my needs. The learning curve is very simple and everyone at the company was able to pick it up with minimal experience. I liked the clean look of the interface itself and it is very organized.

Cons

A few problems that did stick out was the fact that sometimes the reader itself would need multiple tries in order to read a card correctly. It is not of the sturdiest material and that may have contributed to not working properly at times. Also, the merchant service fee per swipe is a bit on the pricey side at 2.75% per in person transaction (higher rate for keyed in transactions). There are cheaper options available but the convenience and availability of Square products are definitely something to keep in mind.

Altrina T.

Reviewed on 17/09/2018

Square

Overall I like square and would recommend

Pros

Square makes it so easy for us to complete a point of sale order. A patient that comes in and wants to buy something in our showroom can choose what they want to purchase we have all our products (non serialized only) loaded in the square so it’s makes checkout quockc& easy. At month end we print out our square sales and add the square transaction into out practice management software. This so so successful that last month we ordered square registers for our additional 10 locations as we were only using it previously in our corporate office/store. All of our delivery personal also have square readers on there phones which allows them collects payments while at patients home.

Cons

I receive daily emails with square transactions for all our locations so I receive at least 50-100 emails a day.

Jennifer I.
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 12/12/2019

Square Is the Best on the Market

Overall, we'd highly recommend Square. It's a great platform. There are great reporting features.

Pros

We use Square POS at our restaurant. We love the easy layout and clean design. There is almost no learning curve, either, to train new staff.

Cons

I wish that there was more functionality between Square and our reservations software. We've tried to integrate the two without success.

Kristen P.

Reviewed on 15/01/2018

I use the Square for multiple businesses.

Overall, the Square Point of Sale is a low cost, easy to use, and very versatile software.

Pros

The Square is small, so it is easy to take anywhere. The Square can plug into any phone with a microphone jack, and is not specific to a brand or carrier. The app is free to download, and can be used with both mobile phones and tablets. Using the app can be as simple as just typing in the total amount, or amounts for specific items can be programmed into the app, so the prices are pulled up with a click of a button. The money is sent directly to your bank account.

Cons

The stripe reader seems to get worn out fairly quickly. The charge to swipe the credit card is fair, but if you have to type the card in due to the worn out reader, or a worn our card the fee is higher. I tend to do more over the phone charges with one business, and the fee can get pretty high.

Tad F.
  • Industry: Performing Arts

Reviewed on 11/09/2019

An Extremely User Friendly Product

Square gives us the ability to step away from the cashiering station and focus on the more important things that come with running a business. We can trust that the reports at the end of the night will keep us up to date with how everything is going and will keep our users accountable for the transactions.

Pros

This software is by far some of the simplest to use. The majority of the people who use our system are our volunteers here at the theater, and they are not always the best when it comes to technology. However with just a small amount of training, even they feel comfortable selling our snacks and drinks at intermission of our performances. It is also so very easy to add new items and keep track of inventory.

Cons

We do not have a receipt printer set up with our system because the majority of our patrons are okay with the receipt going to their email, but it would be nice if there was a way to print out receipts on a regular printer when necessary. Technically, we can go into the system after the fact, pull up the transaction, and print the receipt that way, but we do not always have the time to do so. So if there was a way to send the receipt to a normal printer over WiFi, that would be ideal.

• Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 24/12/2019

Great Scalable Small Business POS Solution

We used Square POS for our direct sales at open air markets, holiday craft shows, and any venue for a quick setup. Starting with a Square reader and quickly moving to the Square stand with iPad and receipt printer, the system grew with us into a fully integrated sales, inventory, and reporting solution.

Pros

Square POS and the scalable hardware provides everything our small business needed for portability, ease of use, ease of administration, and ease of reporting.

Cons

We only had a few minor hiccups with inventory integration with our web-based sales versus our direct sales, but we were able to resolve those with some research and a bit of trial and error.

Reviewed on 20/07/2018

Using Square Point of Sale to take and track purchases is extremely quick and easy

Pros

Charging someone through a credit or debit card has never been easier than it has been with Square Point of Sale. It's extremely easy to manually put in the price you want to charge someone, or you can set pre-determined prices on a page, just in case you charge the same for products and services and want to save some time. You can also check all of your transactions on a separate page, which helps when you want to check how much you've made in the past couple of days, all the way up to when you started using Square Point of Sale for your business.

Cons

The only true issue that I had with Square Point of Sale is that sometimes the app would go to offline mode for me. This isn't necessarily that much of an issue, but it got a little frustrating having to go back online after seeing that I'm in offline mode. Overall though, there are little to no problems with Square Point of Sale, and I recommend every merchant to use this if you take credit card payments, since it makes it so much easier, as you can tip through the app, and even send virtual receipts through it.

Darrel R.

Reviewed on 01/12/2018

I Highly Recommend Square

Pros

I love how easy it is to setup Square and immediately be able to accept credit cards literally anywhere. We have the Square stand (point of sale setup) and also on all of our mobile devices to be able to accept payments on the go as well. The processing fees are low and after about a year or so they also will offer you a business loan (advance) through Square Capital based on the volume of your sales and take a small additional fee from each credit card transaction until it's paid off.

Cons

There is really not much of anything I don't like with Square, but if I had to pick one thing I would say the most recent software update does not play well with the Apple iOS 12.1 update, but I am quite sure that it will be fixed very shortly

Sean D.

Reviewed on 09/01/2019

Great for any small to medium sized retailer

We used this system to accept payment when on the go at farmers markets, for tracking cash payment, retail sales to coffee shops, and as payment for business transactions. It performed great under these scenarios and I would recommend it to any small business trying to operate in this capacity. While I cannot speak to its use on a larger scale I am under the impression it would hold its own.

Pros

The flexibility of payment types
Great ease of use especially on the go
Customers trust this method of taking payments
Made accepting payments for any type of business easy
Easy to plug in and accept payment and response time is great if you have cell service
Flat rate option is great once a certain business volume is reached

Cons

There is not much bad I can say about this software. For its intended purpose, it performs wonderfully. It may not be the perfect POS system for your business but generally speaking if suits a very broad spectrum of business needs.

Miguel G.

Reviewed on 14/04/2018

Taking payments just got easier.

I have used Square as my primary point of sale to accept payments for some time now and it continues to be the only point of sale I use to accept credit cards.

Pros

Square is more than a point of sale. Square allows you to not only collect payment via a credit card, but also lets you do it in more ways than one. Use the card swipe device or enter the card manually. You can invoice your customers and pre-configure to have a list of items to pull into the invoice without having to manually entire complete descriptions. Square also lets you create categories, modifiers and discounts to your list of items. Keep all your customers at your fingertips with a list you can manage. And keep track of it all with sales and deposit reports.

Cons

There are no cons I can speak of, as Square has been able to process just about any credit card, and debit card. Unfortunately debit cards will be processed as a credit card, so if your customer would like to use it, they will not be able to treat the transaction as a debit transaction. Other than that, there are no real cons I can think of.

Mike F.
  • Industry: Sports

Reviewed on 15/12/2018

Yes, we take Credit Cards!

I've been using Square Point of Sale for the past 2 years and I couldn't be happier. Besides taking credit card payments in person, it also allows me to create and issue invoices, pay 1099 contractors and even have an online store. It's a comprehensive solution for small business solutions looking for an easy and low cost solution for payment processing.

Pros

Having the ability to take credit cards as a business is a game changer, and when you are a mobile operation like I am, Square Point of Sale's convenient card readers connect with your phone and accept payment with the ease of a swipe. I typically pass the transaction fee on the customer, so it's a win/win.

Cons

The software itself is perfection! However, as with most mobile device attachments, my Square reader has a tendency to get lost. The good news is you can still process a payment without the card swipe attachment, but there's a higher transaction fee which most would obviously like to avoid. I recently ordered a version with the lightning charger port, which is nice if you use and Iphone and don't happen to have a headphone jack adapter.

• Industry: Wholesale

Reviewed on 29/08/2018

Use square if you're not a square

Pros

Square to me is one of the more popular POS systems. Turns any iPad (or phone) into a point of sale tool. The screens are easily customizable, easy to use when we had seasonal selections or special discounts. I also really like that square keeps a record of what customers have used square in the past and will offer to email / text them their receipt. Easy to use for when looking up past orders and gives you analytics for how much you've sold hourly today vs last week. Lots of neat tools to explore how much you're selling / making. And there's a function to track your customers visits and give them freebies! And with an attachment, if your internet goes down, you can transform your phone into a POS tool.

Cons

No cons, other than when square goes down (which only happened twice in my two years with it).

Jd C.
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 06/10/2018

We use two accounts. One is exclusively for our coffee shop ministry. It is easy to run and works every time. We have the square stand and the wireless chip reader. It has made our coffee shop line move quicker and allows our volunteers to focus on the customer not the credit card process. Our second account is used to resister people for events as well as sell merchandise. We use the portable swipe devices for this and the mobility reall makes it convenient.

Square takes a their cut so you have to build that into prices but we’ve found that the ease of use and convenience are worth it.

Pros

We have two accounts and use this for a donation based Coffee shop at our church and other ministry events. It is run by volunteers and works flawlessly. Square Point of Sale is easy to use, quick, training is minimal, and it takes all the hassle out of credit card purchases.

Cons

Overall there aren’t many cons with square. I’d like some adjustments made in the software to make it easy for volunteers to use it instead of employees but that’s on the back end and isn’t that big of a deal.

Brinna M.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 18/11/2019

Very simple and quick transactions

My overall experience with square POS has been wonderful. It’s very quick and easy. My clients can check out with ease.

Pros

I like the simplicity of square POS. I’ve been using it for 3 years in my salon suite to check out my customers. You can create preset items with preset prices and when you’re ready to check out you just click on the items you’re charging for and hit checkout. Very easy to use.

Cons

The percent per swipe charge. The larger the service the larger the change is per swipe.

Christopher H.

Reviewed on 26/03/2019

Its Square, What do you expect? Great Product!

Without Square, I wouldnt be able to accept cards as payment. It has massively allowed me to increase my sales.

Pros

I love square! I am able to use it to do in person transactions for my business. I have used it for all three businesses that I own. It is an easy seamless process. Just add your products and services, add pricing info and boom. Swipe and done. Paid quickly. Processes quickly. Little to no glitches. Even the fee isn't too bad. Most people pay with a credit/debit card these days so it is absolutely necessary to have a payment processor to accept them. Ease of use is amazing

Cons

The only thing that I dislike is that it does not sync with my shopify store as shopify and square are competitors. But the ease of use makes up for that.