About SocialSchedules

SocialSchedules is a cloud-based employee scheduling solution designed to help small to large businesses in the restaurant, hospitality, retail and other sectors. It allows managers to communicate with field employees through...

4.7
4.2

Browse SocialSchedules Reviews

Mike

Reviewed on 16/08/2019

Great scheduling platform with lots of extras!

Pros

Ease of use. Messaging system and shift swap approvals.

Cons

There wasn't much not to dislike about this product. I've had no user issues with it, nor manager issues with it.

Rachel

Reviewed on 04/10/2019

Great free option for scheduling software with potential for more

I had a great on-boarding session with their training team. They do offer employee data importing as part of their setup but I did it all myself and it wasn’t too bad.

Pros

Super easy to use and set up. It has been as smooth of a transition for our employees One could hope for. Most employees have been able to get it set up and availability updated with no direct instruction other than our expectations.

Cons

A few simple features I would like to see on the app are: view only first initial of last name on printed schedule (privacy issue of employees), hide total hours on printed schedule, select individual rights for remote clock in (paid version).

When I Work

Reasons for Switching to SocialSchedules

When I Works app was very glitchy and its expensive for just a scheduling package. Free trial only allows you to schedule out 10 days and that made the testing out process double the work.
Alex

Reviewed on 28/05/2019

iOS compatibility

Everything is great about opensimsim except in January of 2019 the update they did made their system non-compatible with use on iPad.

This is a huge huge downside of the product someone not to smart didn’t keep the system compatible with iOS on an iPad cuz I used it for over a year that way.

I don’t carry or want to carry a laptop with me everywhere which means I get chained to a desk to write schedules now that I can’t use my iPad anymore. Two thumbs down!!!!

Top SocialSchedules Alternatives

Bryant
  • Industry: Photography

Reviewed on 17/10/2019

Multi-Unit Scheduling

Pros

It gives us ease of access to schedules for multiple locations, and easy to identify and contact an employee that is working.

Cons

Setting up mutiple locations and schedule labeling/identification.

Spark Hire and HireVue

Reasons for Choosing SocialSchedules

More centralized location of schedules for multiple locations.

Microsoft Excel
Kay

Reviewed on 18/08/2019

Volunteer Schedule

This is a very easy to use product.

Pros

I like the price, because we are a non-profit organization with about 20 volunteers. I needed something that would keep track of everyone and with your product I can see the schedule on my phone or computer. It is very handy.

Cons

I'd like to be able to schedule people from my phone.

When I Work

Reasons for Switching to SocialSchedules

OpenSimSim allowed me to schedule out for months at a time. The When I Work program only let me go out for 10 days.
Nicholas

Reviewed on 06/09/2019

Payroll Software

Overall great use and price

Pros

web-based, price, and on-boarding for employees. The software gives you the flexibility that you need when running payroll.

Cons

No phone app. It is difficult to navigate the first uses.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing SocialSchedules

Employee visibility of whats happening with their wages.

price
Angela

Reviewed on 10/06/2019

Small Non-Profit Employee

Pros

I like that I am able to check my schedule online with ease. I am also able to request time off and that can make it easy so I do not have to come into the office to request.

Cons

I don't know if this was an option that my employer chose, or if it is part of your software, but I would like to be able to see who is scheduled throughout the week. This can solve some confusion if a shift is covered or give you the ease of looking to switch shifts or ask others to cover a shift for you.

Riley
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 15/11/2022

SocialSchedules - You can trust it

Pros

SocialSchedules is easy to read and manage. Our schedules are published every Friday, and we receive a notification as soon as our manager sends it through. I can see my weekly schedule, and I can see a countdown until my next shift is scheduled to start. I can also rotate my screen sideways to see the schedule for the week along with who else is scheduled to work each day. This makes swapping shifts easier if necessary. I can also message my coworkers in the app and receive managerial notifications in the messaging section or in the "Schedule Notes" section on the home page, which is flagged with a red dot if there is a note that needs to be read. Submitting time off requests is a piece of cake, truly. There is even a segment to leave a note about why you are requesting off, which comes in handy! Overall, I enjoy this product.

Cons

I do not like how I cannot see my total weekly hours after the initial schedule notification is opened. I must manually count my hours if I want to know my exact weekly total. I also do not like how I cannot see the day of the week I am looking at when requesting time off; it would be more convenient if there were a calendar layout as opposed to manually scrolling to the date, month, and year you need.

Jenelle
  • Industry: Political Organization

Reviewed on 14/02/2019

Great Scheduling Platform

Overall, I think OpenSimSim is beneficial for small businesses who are looking for something that is simple, free, but VERY effective.

Pros

I've been using OpenSimSim now for over a year. I really enjoy all of the benefits of the program. Obviously, the greatest thing about OpenSimSim is that it is free; however, I also really love the ease of use. If I am unable to put in the schedule for my agents, it is easy to instruct one of my mentors to do so. The platform is colorful, fast, and the notifications setting is much appreciated by myself as well as my staff.

Cons

I feel like the platform is geared more towards businesses that consistently have weekly set schedules. With the type of business we handle, I wish there was an easier way to create multiple shift opportunities for one day. We could really benefit from being able to quickly create shift intervals. The mobile app lags a bit when a shift is posted, preventing agents from applying for the shift in a timely manner. I also wish the chat system was an API that could be integrated into other programs so that everything can be uniform.

Parker

Reviewed on 15/11/2022

SocialSchedules

SocialSchedules is a great software to use for setting empolyee schedules.

Pros

SocialSchedules allows you to see your workweek schedule at a quick glance and also allows you to see what coworkers are scheduled the same day you are. There is also a chat feature to allow you to send messages to coworkers.

Cons

The chat feature does not do a great job of notifying when someone has sent you a message. A better notification system would make this software perfect.

Scott
  • Industry: Supermarkets

Reviewed on 31/05/2019

Rosters the way they Should be

The managers enjoy using it and wouldn't go back to how we where doing it.
The team have shown an increase in picking up extra shifts and sticking to what agreed changes they had arranged with managers.
Our roster is now more steady and hours worked more accurate to our ideal workflow.

Pros

Its simple and easy to use. It gives you all the information that is required to make informed decisions when planning your teams hours, it gives clarity and removes confusions when dealing with shift swaps and holidays, Both employer and employee are on the same page via a cloud format that automatically updates every one when changes are made. Can roster multiple departments so when in a big retail business you can plan for team members to be working in a different department too. The messaging function is the easiest way to connect with 100+ people in just a few clicks, this helps drive engagement through communication.

Cons

A few upgrades that would improve this further is:
A function to save and print time off requests and approvals so that we could go paperless and keep complient with the IRD -this would also give option for the employee to complete a virtual signature on screen

Also editing a master roster would be great - currently not an option to edit a roster without having it uploaded into an actual week - master rosters are forever changing so would be great to keep these updated simply as things change.

I always found the name OPENSIMSIM "out there" and odd however UBER would have also sounded strange until it was a house hold name, SIMSIM could be as big soon enough!!

Laura

Great Product, Easy to Use

The experience has been great. The customer service is fantastic! We are a non-profit with very little money so having a free option that is this in depth is wonderful.
Communication has improved immensely as we can all send out messages.

Pros

Ease of Use. It has a lot of great features, entering as many job positions as you want, accounting for lunches, different print views etc. We use the messaging system a lot too. I have gotten really good feedback from my staff. This is a place where we can send messages and everyone gets them.

Cons

It is extremely slow. That could be just our internet, but it takes me a long time to do the schedule just from sitting and waiting. When I need to edit the time frame, I click, and sit and wait and wait. Eventually the options come up to Assign, Manage, or Delete. The weird thing though is the actual edit comes up immediately. Have the time, I am clicking just trying to get the hover part to come up and the shift edit comes up.
I would like more color options.
The publishing options for the Job Opportunities is time consuming. I would like if I could publish all instead of one at a time.

MARISSA

Reviewed on 16/08/2019

Love this scheduling app!

Lots of benefits in the ease of use, for both me and my staff. It makes scheduling fun!

Pros

The ease of use, it's so helpful to have the schedule on you whenever you need it. It's made it way easier for my staff to get there shifts covered on their own. Allowing the app to assign sections to my staff it has given me the tools to help maintain order on my sales floor as well. I don't know how I worked for so long without it!

Cons

Mostly it's been a positive experience, the only thing I think would make it better would be holding the same layout as the computer when converting to the weekly schedule on the phone. And as a administrator being able to see what i have unpublished on my phone as well. And also it would be nice to be able to black out days employees couldn't drop shifts, just how there is the feature to do that with the time off requests. But really it's been an amazing tool to have!

Steve

Reviewed on 29/05/2019

Close other programs and OpenSimSim

It lets me see my day to day Labor percent and the actual cost with breaks of how much I will be paying my employees each week. I can better watch labor and adjust accordingly. The experience is great. I tried a few different programs and nothing compares to the simplicity, the easy navigation and the information it supplies to better control your costs. Not to mention my employees love it.

Pros

The software is super easy to navigate and its all very basic to learn. You can control your costs and see your weekly world all right on the program. I recently opened up a store and the Owner wanted me to use a different program and it is a nightmare compared to the simplicity yet efficiently of Opensimsim. Opensim sim does all the work for you.

Cons

Nothing so far. I had trouble and was a little frustrated trying to figure out how to give employees individual pay, but the OpenSimSim staff walked me thru it and now it makes complete sense. They were very patient and tried different things to show me how it worked. I know I was not the easiest person at the time to work with but they helped me figure it out and now that I understand how to enter it. It is awesome.

Mitchell

Honest review

We use this every week with scheduling everyone for who's working and when. It's really great because before we used this we just had an Excel sheet and it had to be emailed out and with this, we can also see if they have acknowledged the shift where as with emailing it, it would be such a hassle with making sure everyone knew when they worked.

Pros

I like that I can have this on my phone and check it whenever I want to, and that I can edit shifts from my manager account from my phone. It's really easy to add availability and to teach new employees on how to use it as well. I really like that I can color code position titles as well.

Cons

I don't like that it shows all employees for our team members at one location, because it confuses them on who they can contact about getting a shift covered. I recommend adding their location or main location underneath their name in the messages part of it, or only be able to send a message to others at the location they have access to.

Steve

Reviewed on 31/05/2019

Good option for the price, but needs more ability to customize

We tried a variety of timeclock software, and Opensimsim was one of the less expensive versions out there for the features. It does the job adequately, but as we add more staff, the shortcomings may become too much of a burden.

Pros

Making a Schedule is very easy, especially on the following week as you just have to 'tweak' it.
The employees like how easy it is to request time off.
The timeclock works on Kindles, so a Timeclock kiosk is very inexpensive and even works during a power outage.

Cons

You need to play by their rules, and their is very little personalization possible (for example we prefer to schedule in 2 week sets, but you are forced into a single week at a time)

It should be able to export directly into Quickbooks, but we have to manually enter the times

There should be a section for entering each employee's availability so you don't schedule them outside of their available hours. This is a HUGE oversight.

Reviewed on 16/02/2019

This APP saves me tons of time and frustration

Overall I am super excited that this APP exists and I have been using it for over a year now. I cant even begin to describe the benefits, its easy to use, simple to deploy, provides a great staff communication platform and has help tremendously in the overall accountability of my employees and ownership of their schedule.

Pros

Well thought out solid platform with all the bells and whistles of way more costly APPS but functions better, integrates easier, and the fluidity of the data is unsurpassed for an online scheduling APP !!

Cons

Seems a little slow to maneuver at times and ctrl copy function seems a bit glitchy at times. The availability and time off feature works well but its not very intuitive for my staff ... so far I have had people doing it reverse and others squaring me into a position where I have to conform to their specific availability but that is my own HR issue :-/

Pete
  • Industry: Building Materials

Great piece of software

One of the best scheduling tools I have used in a long time and its absolutely free! so Please keep it that way. You can set up as many work places on OpenSimSim and manage them from one place.

Pros

Live scheduling tool, any changes is immediately sent to the relevant people. Team can book time off on the software. There is an app for everyone to use. Its simple and not bulky. Gives you a breakdown of cost per day. You can have offsite working.

Cons

Not having the ability to talk to SAP Payroll. Not having the ability to input other breaks in a shift (paid and unpaid) you can only put one break in.

Maggie

Reviewed on 28/10/2019

Scheduling & Sharing Made Easy

This software is very easy to use. It allows me to schedule employees on days when they absolutely must be here, offer up optional shifts, and immediately tells employees that a new schedule has been published (this has dramatically reduced the amount of texts I get at 10:30 Sunday night asking when an employee is scheduled to work). Employees also have the option to request days off, mark days they're absolutely unavailable, and send messages through the app. It's really nice to be able to communicate with a whole team with very little effort.

Pros

Cons

The app can be flakey at times, and doesn't always notify me as the scheduler of changes. Time-off requests don't always show up immediately, and messages can be easily missed.

Kevin
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 31/05/2019

Fantastic easy to use product

Support has been fantastic and are willing to hear suggestions on possible improvements, certainly respond quickly if you are having an issue. to e honest I wish all software companies ran this way.

Pros

Can be used from anywhere, allows staff to say when they are not available, alerts them when they have been given a shift and allows them to swap. I don't need to rely on my fading memory anymore or sticky notes or diary entries, simply awesome :)

Cons

So many buttons to print the same report every week but this is a minor inconvenience for the benefits being offered

Kryssi

Reviewed on 04/06/2019

Easy and user friendly.

I am very happy with Open Sim Sim. I have used this scheduling software at two different locations and it has been a lifesaver. All of my employees love it too. Saves time and money. Making communication a breeze.

Pros

Schedule is alway at your fingertips ok your phone
You can edit and add shifts between employees.
Send out group messages.
Complete shift swaps
And manage all requests off.
It’s brilliant and bang for your buck is unparalleled

Cons

The program at times has technical difficulties which renders it useless.

Yahya

Reviewed on 14/08/2018

Works Great

Great overall, very good product with some amazing customer service. They get back to you right away and help fix your problem.

Pros

It's Free!!!!
It also has some great features, I really appreciate that they added the reminder feature to remind employees when shifts are coming up. Really easy to use. posting a schedule doesn't take more then 5 minutes and they have made it easy to copy over the previous weeks schedule.

Cons

it can get a little buggy sometimes and you have to refresh. The only thing that I would like to see different would be the ability to change availability for my employees. or to schedule folks even when they show up as unavailable

STACEY

Reviewed on 23/02/2019

Super easy scheduling with SimSim

Overall, I love this scheduling tool. It's easy for me to use, and easy for my staff. Saves me lots of time creating/recreating schedules manually.

Pros

Makes it super easy to create weekly employee schedules and to create templates that make future scheduling easy. I love that it can be set to allow employees to swap and drop shifts, and to easily submit timeoff requests. The ability to limit certain periods for timeoff requests is also very helpful. Overall, a lot of great functionality with an interface that is very intuitive to use.

Cons

Employees can't see timeoff already requested and approved for other employees. They might be able to adjust their timeoff requests if they could see periods when multiple timeoff requests had already been submitted by other employees (and thus would know their request won't get approved). Would also be nice if the entire schedule view could be seen on the desktop interface (rather than just on the phone).

Reviewed on 24/08/2019

Great software, easy to use and connect with staff.

When I began using OpenSimSim I had been previously scheduling my staff on a spreadsheet and then emailing it to everyone. I discovered OpenSimSim through a google search and decided to give it a try. It was super easy to setup, super easy to connect my staff to it and eliminated so many scheduling frustrations I had been dealing with.

Pros

I love the ability to message my entire staff or individual staff members. I love the ease of the app. I love adding shift opportunities and staff being able to request time off, drop shifts and pick up shifts as they wish.

Cons

I have no negative opinions of this software. It did take me a while to realize that I could turn my device sideways to view the entire schedule but that's just on me for not taking the time to learn its features.

JIll

Reviewed on 25/02/2019

Good program for our catering company

Our company does off-premise catering for companies and social events. So we have an entire crew of people that never actually come into the shop! OpenSimSim allows a clear stream of communication with our staff.

Pros

The ease of use is what we like most. Any one of our coordinators can send out shift opportunities and we can keep them organized according to who sent the opportunity out.
Our staff has never had a problem downloading the app onto their devices, and they all enjoy how user friendly it is.
When I have run into a small problem or question, the support staff was right on top of it.

Cons

It would be better if , when a staff member declines a shift, that the program would keep track of who declined. Also, a red flag of some sort for a declined shift would be good.