Rain POS Reviews

About Rain POS

Rain is an all-in-one point-of-sale, website, and marketing system for small to midsized retailers. Music, dive, sporting goods, paddle, craft, sewing, quilting, and clothing boutiques will find Rain is an excellent fit for...

4.1

Browse Rain POS Reviews

Mary Virginia

Reviewed on 17/12/2020

Love this system!

I can get the reports I need and want. Tech support is wonderful. They are constantly updating and improving the software.

Pros

Product is very easy to use. It's nice that I can put items on my website right from the product page. Web page is easy to edit.

Cons

I wish there were more yarn and knitting notions vendors integrated into the system.

Lightspeed Golf

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS

The reps presented the information well. They answered any question I had and were willing to show me on a demo. The nicest people work here.
Molly
  • Industry: Textiles

Reviewed on 13/09/2021

Rain/LikeSew vs GoDaddy

I am glad I took the plunge, put in the work, with the help of friends, and moved the shop over to Rain/LikeSew this past summer. It was worth the hard work and effort. I can now offer my customers specials and appreciation programs, keep up with inventory and manage files more efficiently.

Pros

LikeSew is more precise at managing my inventory and handling the day-to-day business of running my fabric store than GoDaddy ever was. I now know exactly how much inventory I have on hand and it's value and what categories it falls into.

Cons

There could be some improvements in the email marketing program and the inventory receipt areas.

Shopify POS

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS

I had no control over inventory management and it was time to renew my GoDaddy products.

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS

I had used Shopify at a friends business and I didn't like it.
Holly

Reviewed on 17/11/2020

Disappointed

It was a rough year and a half trying to operate a business with that many mistakes from their side.

Pros

I liked that the website and the inventory were combined. That people could see in real time what we had in stock and purchase online. That was nice and was one of the main features of why we went with Rain originally.

Cons

We spent a lot of time and money on Rain POS. It was the first online computer software company we ever used for point of sale. I spent an entire year in 2017 logging our entire inventory, coming up with pricing and pictures and history on every item. We went live in 2018 and by April 2019 we were done with the contract side and we closed out the point of sale side by the end of that year. Their inconsistences within the contract module were too high. And every time we called in to tech support, all they could tell us what that there was a "glitch" in the system and they couldn't fix it within a timely manner. I really felt like I was losing the trust of my customers because of Rain's mistakes.

AIM

Reasons for Switching to Rain POS

Because of the umbrella effect: It linked our website with our store inventory in real time with our rental contracts. Everything was in one place. Sadly it was too good to be true.

Response from Rain Retail Software

Holly, thank you for taking time to share your experience with our POS software. Here at Rain, our main objective is helping small businesses like yours succeed, so the fact that you found us to be detrimental to your store is disheartening. We've been busy in the 12 months since you cancelled and have greatly improved our rent-to-own module. If you like, please contact us to see those enhancements.

Replied 09/12/2020

Top Rain POS Alternatives

CashFootprint Point-of-Sale

Lightspeed Golf

Nick
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 29/03/2022

Great POS, Horrible customer service support.

Pros

Easy to use and has great functionality. Could have a little bit more functionality than it has to make it great. However they need more people to fix bugs and enact on others suggestions to develop the product further. Customer Support is a joke!

Cons

Customer Support is a joke! I contacted support about a glitch. I told them to call me because I broke my wrist and easier to explain than typing it out. They refused to call me as if their time was more valuable in R&D than fixing bugs. I cant type with a broken wrist. All this is one fingered.

NATE

Reviewed on 16/11/2020

Make the switch to Rain!

I also love being able to track repairs, replacing our previous hand written system. Priceless.

Pros

Having out POS integrated with our website and Reverb is key for us, especially during recent times of shut down.

Cons

At times the system has quirks that are an annoyance to the user and is a low priority fix for developers.

Lance

Reviewed on 07/02/2020

Rain POS

Pros

This is a great program that integrates a point of sale program with a website store that keep inventory stock levels on the website. The basics functions are easy to use and learn.

Cons

Rain POS needs to make some of the reporting more functional so that you can see product sales easier and for a monthly and yearly sense.

Noel

Reviewed on 10/11/2020

Noel Saucedo Co-owner

I have been a believer ever since i saw them at the Namm show.

Pros

The ease of this software is very important. Being a small business i really don't have an I.T department so you guessed it we all become the I.T department in our office. The templates are easy to fill out and get your online presence ready for your clients.

Cons

The con is not a Rain problem it's not having the time on our side to complete at this moment.

Pheobe

Reviewed on 16/11/2020

An Outstanding POS System

I am able to work proficiently with everything except learning how to take my inventory and have it imported to QuickBooks.

Pros

I am able to input inventory into the system in a timely manner.

Cons

I wish Rain Retail system would import my inventory over to QuickBooks. I have to input inventories in the system twice.

Laura

Reviewed on 22/12/2020

Rain POS for Yarn Stores

No point of sale system is perfect. But we are happy with the functionality and effectiveness of Rain. The fact that Rain is continually improving and updating their system has only increased our satisfaction over the years.

Pros

We have used Rain POS (Like Sew) for over five years and are very satisfied with it. We love that our website (recently upgraded by Rain) integrates with our POS, keeping our inventory numbers accurate. The Point of Sale is very user friendly. Reporting is decent. The website is simple to update.

Cons

While there are sometimes reporting issues or technical issues, Rain has an easy process in place to report problems online or by phone, and they are generally responsive in a timely manner. Rain also has a method to make suggestions on how to change or update the POS/website. I appreciate that they are willing to take our suggestions!

I do wish there was a report for Items Received; it would be nice to be able to create custom reports.

The only major issue we have with Rain is when the system crashes - either because our internet goes out (in which case we are able to use our iPads on cellular to ring up customers) or because Rain goes down. Luckily, this is very rare! And when it's Rain's issue, it is usually remedied quickly.

Finally, it would be great if Rain integrated with Sage Accounting software. We have to manually transfer data from Rain's reports into Sage Accounting. This is time consuming.

Shopify

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS

We wanted to integrate our website and our point of sale system.
Max

Reviewed on 07/12/2020

Great for a music shop like us. Room for improvement but they're working on it

Anyone who has migrated from one system to another knows how time-intensive and frustrating the whole process can be. RAIN's support team made the onboarding experience as painless as possible. Their support has continued long after the initial onboarding and I feel very confident in their ability to help us whenever we hit a roadblock and need help. It's also encouraging to see their development team constantly fixing bugs and rolling out new features. They are not the kind of company to rest on their laurels.

Pros

RAIN lives in the cloud and being able to access our POS from any device is a huge advantage over the POSs we were using before. The Rent-To-Own module helped simplify a very important part of our business. Integrating with REVERB has helped extend our e-commerce reach across the country. The user interface is clean and user-friendly; just what you'd expect from a modern cloud-based platform.

Cons

The marketing platform did not meet our expectations. The email marketing in particular is not up to what I would consider industry standard in terms of the template builder, contact management, scheduled emails, segmented lists, and analytics. We have since dropped that add-on and went with ActiveCampaign which is light years ahead.

AIM and Lightspeed Retail

Reasons for Choosing Rain POS

The former product was not great.
Joanie
  • Industry: Furniture

Reviewed on 01/12/2023

Yikes so Disappointing

So poor, I did so much research and I am so disappointed.

Pros

I thought Rain had it all, POS, web, work orders. But product is such a disappointment.

Cons

The system fails every day. Something stops working every week. Receipts stop printing correctly, barcode doesn’t scan.

Response from Rain Retail Software

Hi Joanie,

In reading your review I am so sorry for your experience. I would love to learn more about the specifics and see if there is anything I can do to help. Please send me an email so I can help you and thank you again for your response.

Replied 08/02/2024
Jeremy

Reviewed on 15/02/2017

The POS system that I was looking for.

I'm the owner of the NAMM 2015 & 2016 Top 100 Dealer, The Acoustic Shoppe in Springfield, MO. We tried the "big guy" of our industry, and found it to be outdated and not user friendly. After a year of attempting to get it up and running, we started looking for an alternative when we ran across RAIN POS. It feels like navigating a website through your browser so it was easy to learn. Within a little over one month we had our website built, products in our system, and were live with running transactions.

I love that everything in in the cloud, so I can run sales in my parking lot, at festivals, trade shows, etc., or just access reports anywhere from my phone. Putting items on our website is just a button clicked, and inventory is shared online and locally so if I sell online, it's taken out of stock in my local system, and vise versa.

So far customer support has been great to work with. We have run across a few minor bugs in the day to day use, but they are pretty quick at getting it straightened out. I'm sure it doesn't have all the depth of that other system, but I'm able to use it and they are adding features very quickly. We don't do rentals right now, so I can't say how well that part works. We do a lot of repairs, some sent off site, and the work order module works great for keeping up to date with the repair status. We're waiting on the Lessons module that we here is in the works, and a better way to handle consignments and trades.

So far we are very happy with RAIN POS and our interactions with customer support. I highly recommend.

Pros

Ease of use, and integration with our e-commerce site.

Cons

There are a few features that I'm waiting on that will tailor the system more for the music industry.

Miles

Reviewed on 09/02/2018

The future of how small businesses survive

Using this system allows you to provide a customer experience on par with, or even better than, what is expected from a successful business in the 21st.

Pros

Feature laden! and they are still developing more music store specific features! One customer data base, one inventory database. Integrated POS system, integrated Wed Store, integrated repairs system. Then add on: integrated short term rentals, rent to own with auto pay, layaway, email marketing abilities, gift card ability, coupon ability, push products to Reverb ability, create and save quotes under a customer name, track store account balances and apply to transactions, purchasing lists by vendor populated with qty triggered items and with and easy receiving and item costs updating.
Outstandingly responsive customer service!

Cons

Still waiting on the private lesson feature =( But it is in development and it sounds like it will be finished Spring of 2018. Would be great to see invoicing against a quote so I could do school business with schools requiring a PO number on an invoice for payment.

Reviewed on 09/12/2020

Great at some things, not great at other things

Generally okay. first line support staff is very helpful and relatively easy to reach. Sales staff makes lots of lofty promises that are slow to be fulfilled. Developers are jerks.

Pros

integrated POS and e-commerce website. web based makes it functional on any computer type. RTO module is nice.

Cons

Special Orders/Purchase Orders/Receiving Orders is grossly deficient. Reporting is not great. Prominent bugs in website text in regard to special characters. Lacks flexibility in some of the website design options. No rotation option for product photos. Label printing is terrible. No dimension option for shipping calculations.

Ingrid

Reviewed on 20/10/2020

I love Rain

Pros

Rain POS has helped me run my business in many ways. Reports are very easy to understand and useful for book keeping and planning. Most of all I love the help Rain offers. They have always been there for me and are so nice, especially when trying to set up my website. I am not a computer genius and don't have to be because I use Rain. In recent events we had to start selling products through our web site. Rain was able to teach me over the phone how to set all of it up, I couldn't be more grateful.

Cons

Most of the time the things that I felt could be improved have been through updates like phone numbers showing on receipts. It shows that they do listen when we ask for improvements.

Valerie

Reviewed on 09/02/2022

Great Software and Support

Ecommerce is great! Great Support!

Pros

The Software is so easy to use and if you need help the support team is always willing to help.

Cons

I would like the software to integrate with Facebook and Instagram.

Tami
  • Used for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 28/07/2018

Never worked, horribly inaccurate migration of sales history

Unfortunately, all I got was a whole lot of wasted time and a loss of money for absolutely nothing. I really wanted it to work, and it might have, had they been able to migrate my sales history.

Pros

my contact was really nice.
I was very excited about the integration aspects of the software, unfortunately I was never able to use them.

Cons

I was initially assured our sales history could be migrated. Later I received an email saying it could not. I responded that was unacceptable and I did not wish to continue with the software. It is useless to us without it. I was reassured if I exported the data in the correct formats, it would work. We spent three days checking the data to assure a high level of accuracy and sent it in the requested formats. I was told the migration team would take care of the rest. Untrue. We spent weeks, rechecking the data which was horrifically incorrect. We sent several punch lists. Some of the errors were fixed but often we were told "we don't know why this is happening". Even simple yes/no columns in our spreadsheets were randomly incorrect. Were we told we would just have to manually check all the data; over 3000 customers and 19000 sales receipts. We worked for three months, 100s of hours and have never been able to go live due to all of the errors. I couldn't enter employees in the system without them being an administrator, which they classified as a "glitch" and told me to use a different computer than the one at work. I have desperately tried to get these issues corrected. When I requested a refund they said the fees were non-refundable after the migration is complete. My migration was never complete and I requested not to continue with them if they were unable to migrate my sales history, before they started the migration. This system did not work as advertised and sold to me.

Henry

Reviewed on 16/06/2021

Ok at first, but got worse

Pros

We need the ability to sale fractional quantities of products and Rain allowed that. We liked having multiple users logged in at once. We only have one register, but someone could be logged in making quotes or receiving inventory.

Cons

The sending email address for receipts/invoices could not be changed and either went to spam or never arrived at all. They only integrate with one credit card merchant. Sales and profit reports are not calculated correctly. You can run those reports in two areas and the numbers don't match. You can't edit an invoice once it is saved. You can't setup custom payment methods. The cash till is always messing up. You can't setup customer groups for reporting or special pricing. You can't export all of your sales info and notes, so if you decide to move to another POS, you won't be able to have all of your past sales information.

Reviewed on 21/02/2017

Great user friendly POS

We had a nightmare with our old POS system and had to pretty much start all over with Rain. We are a local business but with tons of inventory. Over 5000 different piece of merchandise. So we were not looking forward to adding all those items again. But Rains interface makes it very easy, anyone can do it. The interface is laid out very simply and everything is right there without having to scroll through pages and pages to find an option you want.

Features like repairs and rentals are also a big plus.

Really the only negative thing I can say is the since it's cloud based you better have good internet or you will lose your register if you lose internet. But that's not Rains fault. Just make sure you have a reliable internet connection or a backup 4G method since you can run the POS from any phone or tablet.

We have had the software for a little less than a year and although we are still adding products from our previous software crash with another company, we are enjoying the new fresh look and feature packed software provided by Rain.

Pros

Tons of features and easy to use.

Cons

To print a receipt there are too many steps. Wish it was easier or less time consuming.

Miles

Reviewed on 15/02/2017

Powerful, complete lifestyle upgrade for our business

Going from shopkeep (easy to use, not sophisticated enough for us as a music store) to RAIN was a challenge at first (uploading photos and product data, designing new site content, more product data entry, training staff in new roles) but, now that we are a few months in, we are seeing customers benefit from our work and we know we are going in the right direction.
RAIN is on the way to becoming the One Ring That Rules Them All of software that helps small retailers play on the same field as national chains.

Actual seamless pulling in of repair data to the transaction screen, one product data base for your stores and your website store, actual seamless pulling in of layaway payments and special orders to the transaction screen, easily see who is selling what and where.

Actual real effective help with re-order purchasing has helped us control spending in a very noticeable way. Time is saved because we only have to go through product order line items one time , then when it arrives, ONE click updates the cost for that instance and the count received.

Transfer tracking that takes almost no time to use.

Pros

integration

Cons

still developing some features

Karen

Reviewed on 06/02/2020

Top notch POS

Great experience... still fixing a few glitches and learning is on going. We are not big IT people, but the ease of this software and the team behind us works great!

Pros

Alot. The automated email blasts, the conference on hand, one on one meeting. I like the ease of running this software and the service and people behind the scenes. I like the look and help we receive on our website. When we have a glitch or problem, customer support is inside our website making the corrections. Great team to work with! Especially, Ty... stays on top of any ossues that come up.

Cons

Our training was not easy and our contact person was not really knowledgeable on many facets of the software or how it would work. Big learning curve for us.

Peter

Reviewed on 21/05/2018

Seamless Migration from Older POS System

Pros

We went with RAIN for a number of reasons. Integration with our website, and in turn, Reverb.com was very important to us. We also liked RAIN's ability to migrate from our antiquated POS so that we had a relatively easy transition. Lastly, being a cloud based system allows our entire staff to work on the system from anywhere.

Cons

At first (about 12 months ago) RAIN was a bit clunky. Navigating was slow, they didn't allow enough pictures for our website, and the search function was not always effective. Also the Reverb integration had growing pains. The thing about RAIN is that they are constantly improving and correcting issues based on their customer's (ours) feedback. At this point the Reverb integration and search functions work perfectly and they now allow unlimited pics on each listing.

Sierra

Reviewed on 03/02/2023

Terrible Customer Service

It was great when we first switched. However it has just gone down hill.

Pros

It was sold that it would be a great fit. It is very inexpensive.

Cons

They do not know what they are doing. They can only help you for 30 mins and then say that they do not know how to fix the issue so they have to get off the phone. Their labels do not work properly and they ast like it is not a big deal.

Response from Rain Retail Software

Hi Sierra,
Thank you for your response and I am so sorry for your experience. I would love to learn more about your experience as we are trying to revamp certain areas to make things better for our customers. If you can email me, I'd love to talk through things. Thank you again for the response!

Replied 08/02/2024
Angela

Reviewed on 09/02/2022

CIOS opinions

Pros

inventory tracking is helpful in ordering - Notions is my largest ordering partner and great to bring over products automatically.

Cons

customer service hours - no help at night or on weekends and response has been slow.

Susan

Reviewed on 08/02/2020

review

I no longer complete paper tickets for customer purchases and then need to summarize for taxes.
At the end of a vending sale day, I know how we did with the push of a button.

Pros

end of day Reports and access to information about my inventory

Cons

lack of reports that can help with inventory report submissions to the state