About Windward System Five

Windward Software's Windward System Five helps small to midsize businesses manage their operations by providing an integrated point of sale and accounting solution with real-time inventory management. Windward System Five is a...

Browse Windward System Five Reviews

Todd Y.

Reviewed on 10/02/2021

Windward and You. The tutorial.

We have solved issues with double ordering Special Orders, have streamlined Purchase Orders, Receiving, Price Changes, Showroom tag printing.
I am able to compile reports simply, where it use to take days.
Taking inventory is so much faster using data collectors and being able to import the files.

Pros

Our old system was very outdated and Windward has made it so much simpler and quicker to get our monthly/quarterly reports. Integration between order taking and purchasing has helped speed up the ordering process & stop mistakes being made. Love the virtual warehouse option.

Cons

What i feel is missing is:
1. Freeform 1 & 2 can be data loaded in. Freeform 1 can be on a report, but Freeform 2 can not.
2. Sales/Upsell warnings can be on a report, but not data loaded.
3. Purchase warnings can be data loaded, but not put on a report.
(Invoice Warnings can be data loaded & put on a report)
4. There is no where to search "Non-Stock Special Orders" by number or supplier in history.
5. A report that can show me all items sold per book month with the following parameters.
sales clerk name, Invoice #, Date of sale, Customer name, Qty, Item #, Price ea., & Price total.
A report that will pull ALL items. (stock, Non-stock).
Currently i have to use 2 different reports, export to excel, and then combine them to create the report i need to send to suppliers for their sales incentives (spiffs). Granted this is alot better than the old computer system, but still takes longer than it should.

side note: i have seen and experienced so far that if someone requests an addition, that the programs will do ONLY what was asked for. Example: you were asked to increase item #'s and part #'s to 50 characters. That was done, but they didnt change non-stock special orders where you have to manually type in the characters. When i caught this problem and brought it up to tech and the programers, the response was " they didnt ask for that to be done" and "it is what it is". Same with items i listed. can data load, but not put on reports.

Response from Windward Software

Hi Todd,

Thanks for taking the time to write this! Other lighting showrooms that may be considering Windward will find this helpful.

As for your reporting concerns, we may be able to help through a project plan from the professional services catalog which would be a great place to start to explore existing functionality. https://www.windwardsoftware.com/resources/professional-services.html

There is also the option to do some custom programming if you have requirements that cannot be handled by the current reporting tools.

We are looking forward to many more years of service to Grand Rapids Lighting.

Thanks again Todd!

Replied 03/04/2021
Teegan M.

Reviewed on 11/11/2017

Gets the job done. Do not do the updates.

Pros

Very thorough software with lots of room/areas to store Information and very easy to use. The point and click ability of the software makes it easier to train new staff. Can access the software from anywhere in the world using remote desktop connection.

Cons

The updates do not seem to go very smoothly. And update me fix one problem but two new problems arise that were not problems before. We have actually stopped getting updates and have continued to use our current version for years. We have developed our own internal ways to use the software to its fullest potential without getting updates. Software support is readily available however very expensive and a lot of the problems that we have encountered do not have the solution. In order to get the solution we have to pay for the entire resource development team and have to be very very patient to see results. The yearly license fee does not benefit our company as we do not complete the updates. So we paid the fee however are using an out of date software program Because we are afraid to update. Phoning for tech-support can be quite challenging when the bill is charged per minute and we are on hold for 80 percent of the call. We are usually on hold while the tech support discusses with superior or development team to solve our more complex problems. At the end of the day the software program helps us maintain our current business but is not helping us grow our business. We are not ready to commit thousands of dollars to the software program that still has many issues even if we were to update to most current version

William P.

Reviewed on 08/11/2017

I've been a Windward user for close to 20 years. Overall, my experience is frustration.

The system has a good POS system. It is quite easy to use but does have serious flaws. You can integrate VISA processing with the system, however, this opens another set of problems.

Pros

The ability to expand on transactions no matter which module you are in is a nice feature. The GST function is also very good.

Cons

With every update, there is a new set of problems. In addition, you can not add additional data bases, terminals nor change your company information such as address, phone etc. Windward's main goal seems to be collecting licence renewal fees and support fees at higher than market rates. They control the number of users - unlike Simply Accounting who allows up to 10 users for a basic license. Windward also charges a licence fee PER DATA BASE. This is bogus! Overall, I am disenchanted with Windward and moving away from the product after over a decade of use.

Top Windward System Five Alternatives

Kathi M.

Reviewed on 18/03/2016

Windward System 5 for us has grown into a great relationship.

Pros

I like the auto data up loads for inventory. I like the adjustability of all the categories of forms and labels, such as invoices, purchase orders, packing slips, inventory tags, delivery tickets, etc. we can utilize and customize to suite all kinds needs for many different aspects, and situations. Being able to use the tag-a-long kits for suggestive selling, helps out the sales staff considerably, gives them that extra help in making their quotas and the don't have to remember to ask each customer, the suggested add-on items pops up on the invoice and forces them to ask. The sales staff loves the ability to bring up all their open invoices at one click. They love the ability to prioritize estimates for their follow ups. I love the pop up tasks, I can assign tasks to specific employees for a specific day and time to pop up, to remind them to get it done. Using system batch purchasing really saves a lot of time. Using alternative vendors for the same products helps with our inventory management. We have a repair department, sometimes the sales people will help out on the repair bench and the "technician's time clock" works well for them when they get call back to the sales floor in the middle of their repair and then come back later to finish, that may happen several times in the course of one repair depending if the time it takes for completion. Using this "technician's time clock" makes it easy to track their time for the repair fees. System 5 is such an integral part of our day to day functions, we take a lot of it's features for granted, it is hard to think of all the good things it does for us to make our lives easier.

Cons

I think the data up loads can function easier, be less complicated. We don't use the accounting part of the program. We use QB for our payroll and it will integrate with System 5 so that is good. There are more aspects of the program I like to be using and I wish the learn curves would be easier. We have an extra large amount of inventory and data stored in the system, since we have been using it since 2008. When generating reports or gathering information, the delays to the system or the machine's think processes, are way too long for me, before the abort button shows up, if it shows up at all or the option to quit the process and try another way. Again think of what I like least is difficult to do because we always find a work around to fulfill our needs.

Mike R.

Reviewed on 26/06/2015

Scalable multi-user POS retail from a company that listens and adapts.

Pros

Excellent customer support 24/7. A product that is scalable to your business. One of the few softwares that have a stand-a-lone ability that allow sales and lookup when the main server is offline or unavailable. Inventory orders in cases or singles by multiple suppliers with multiple part numbers and UPC codes for a single item. Capable of printing price tags on the fly when receiving. Easy lookup of products at the POS terminal by description, barcodes, serial numbers, etc. (Think about a phone caller asking for an item that is not in your hand, no numbers available and you need to quote the price.) Easy Purchase ordering. Easy resorting of POs in a fashion that matches the packing list. Complete control of forms, receipts, printers, slip printers, faxes etc. Multiple price groups and quantity price levels allowing maximum flexibility to different retail environments. Matrix pricing, kit pricing (both dynamic and static) with prices broken out or just single line on receipts. This software is our forth in 30 years and in our use since 2003. Regular updates and revisions are available to keep it fresh and up to date with changes in the ever changing retail industry. This is a very robust software and does far more than given here.

Cons

Back office reporting is probably the weekest area. However, custom reports are available and creatable. If you are looking into any software you should have a list of what you need to know daily, weekly and monthly and have it demonstrated to you. Another area is handling price protection from manufacturers. It is not easy to drop cost on items that receive price protection. It can be done but is time consuming.

Marie V.

Reviewed on 26/10/2017

This softwear has made our business extremely essential to operate.

the main function of our business, our retail set up revolves around the software making it easy to operate day to week, to month to yearly. it has been absolutely essential. recording & keeping track of everything form our substantial amount of inventory, along with accounting, reports, staff, ect. our main source of operations for sure. :)

Pros

that is is absolutely fluent in keeping all of our information organized & keeps me able to do my job as a 1 woman Owner/Operator. without this softwear we would not have been able to stay open for the past 11 years without the ease of Windward System 5, for my retail business.

Cons

for us a small retail shop, the maintenance & updating costs are quite high & out of our price range on a year to year basis.

Response from Windward Software

Hi Marie, thank you for taking the time to provide feedback relating to your experience with Windward System Five. We're very happy to see that it's significantly helping the operation of your business!

With regard to maintenance & updating, please contact your Account Manager at +1 (800) 663-5750, at your convenience, to discuss options to determine the most cost-effective solution. For example, it may be optimal to transfer to Windward System Five on Cloud, which includes automatic data backups and installation of updates and does not require your business to use a server.

Pat B.

Reviewed on 26/10/2017

In 2009, Windward helped us organize and track merchandise for the first time - big benefit!

Do you mean Windward or Capterra? I already described our Windward benefits in the review. Capterra I hope will help me win the Surface Pro Windward is offering in its contest! ;-)

Pros

Have been a user/admin since 2009, and have been through many upgrades and improvements. It's easy to set up routines to track all incoming and outgoing merchandise and expenses. It seems to integrate well with accounting. You can extensively customize reports and you can easily export files from any report. Software is durable and forgiving; almost never freezes despite robust use from our end.

Cons

Emailing invoices has been problematical over the years. Windward hasn't integrated well with third-party email management software like Outlook and Thunderbird, although this situation may have improved since last I checked (this function is only sporadically my responsibility in the business). Some of our seats/terminals work, some do not. Customer service was baffled. Also, customizing forms can be a little tricky, but we have managed that.

Kathy H.

Reviewed on 26/10/2017

The ecommerce support is not 7 days a week unfortunately. Otherwise a great software and...

I thoroughly reviewed 4 different POS software systems prior to making a purchase. It was important to choose the software that would grow as my business grew. Out of the POS systems available at that time (6 years ago) this was the best to fit the needs of my business then and into the future. Now, 6 years into it, this has proven to still be the best choice. It has allowed us to continue with the same software system as the business has grown and evolved.

Pros

It fill all of our needs as a retail store as well as a webstore. It integrates both of those nicely. The accounting and the POS in one system is a great way to run a business.

Cons

In my business it would be useful to give employees access to a variety of information screens. Windward does allow this to some extent, but not to the extent that makes it practical in our situation. Which sometimes forces me to give people access to confidential information which they don't need in the coarse of their job.

Bart V.

Reviewed on 28/10/2017

easy to use as you learn one area at a time

Inventory management, historical data for customers, professional POS, and financial history and tracking all in one place , and working together.

Pros

all encompassing full service software for the business starting from the POS, inventory tracking, customer history tracking, book keeping etc.

Cons

help guide sometimes makes it difficult to find what you need to do to get the info you want, getting the terminology or areas to look correct first.

Response from Windward Software

Hi, Bart. Thanks very much for taking the time to provide your feedback with regards to Windward System Five. Great to hear that you're finding our suite of functionality to be useful for your business.

May we please encourage you to contact your Account Manager at +1 (800) 663-5750 to inquire about becoming registered for The Windward Learning Academy. This comprehensive yet easy-to-use online resource is free for Windward clients and will assist in fully and clearly answering any product feature questions you may have.

Replied 03/11/2017
April T.

Reviewed on 15/11/2017

The benefits more than outway the problems that occur

All in one program for inventory to A/R and A/P etc.

Pros

Inventory control and details that can be entered into each item is awesome. Customer sales tracking is great. Can be adapted to many types of businesses.

Cons

Reports side is not the best. Cannot get an accurate back dated inventory and designing reports is sometimes hard. Need bigger field for invoice numbers when adding bills to workorders.

Response from Windward Software

Hi April, and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We're delighted to hear that you are happy with System Five's tracking capabilities.

In terms of some of the issues you are experiencing with reporting, may we suggest that you contact your Account Manager at +1 (800) 663-5750 and request registration for The Windward Learning Academy. This easy-to-use yet comprehensive online tutorial resource will guide you as to how to best utilize reporting and generate the exact reports you're seeking.

Replied 19/12/2017
Zoe W.

Reviewed on 16/11/2020

I wish I never heard of Windward Software

Our overall experience was extremely poor and detrimental to our business. All our staff were frustrated ( I nearly lost staff), some customers were frustrated, we invested so much money, and have in turn lost so much money. Oh and did I mention the time invested. All that time I spent, all a waste, the time my staff spent which I paid for, such a waste. So much stress that my whole team went through only to end up worse off.

Before we went live, in my gut I had doubts due to my experience with Windward staff in the lead up transition period. But unfortunately I have faith in people, and faith that people tell the truth, and they assured me that the Windward System 5 was an investment in my business- to have confidence, to go live and realise the benefit. Oh so wrong. The system just plain and simple had so many glitches and caused more harm than good to my business. Once live, it just got worse and worse. In hindsight, I should have listened to my gut in implementation, written the money invested off as a bad business decision and aborted. By pushing on, I cost my business so much more, and then blindly I stayed for the full 60 days as required by the refund clause, further harming my business, only to be told they were not giving me a refund anyway.

Also if you are in a different timezone, that is another thing to be wary of. When I signed up they promised local support as they had two people in Australia. But these staff left and no one replaced them.

Pros

We are a retail shop with a mechanic workshop out the back. The special order process was a positive, but unfortunately when you think of all the difficulties, costs and time loss from the rest of the system I can't go so far as to say it is a pro.

The idea of the detailed security and reports options is good, but due to extensive glitches never realized any benefits. Unfortunately the reports and exports were missing data, which meant reconciliation was problematic, and the security just caused glitches and locked my staff out of the system. Due to this, the amount of bookwork to fix the mess is just huge, this system is continuing to cost me in staff costs and time even though I have left Windward.

Ultimately this POS system was one of the worst business decisions I have ever made and I do not recommend it all.

Cons

The implementation is long and tedious. We worked hard with 'technicians' to ensure quality data was loaded. We had 5 different implementation technicians as 2 left the company, one they allocated to us didn't suit the timezone, one provided intermittent help, & one was finally helpful. Windward waived some licencing fees to compensate for lack of support as we were paying for a licence we could not use. Windward then deleted all my data and we had to start again. The daily technical staff in are in a Philippines call centre, they failed to fix most issues. Due system glitches we had no choice but to leave despite due to it harming our business. A huge amount of funds and time invested. Windaward refused to provide refund despite us doing the mandatory 60 days. Glitches include BUT WERE NOT LIMITED TO: mixing up data across customer records showing machines that belonged to other customers on accounts (nothing to with our data); showing bills and outstanding amounts for other customers on accounts; continuously locking our staff out; full system outage; slowing down sales; daily sales reports inaccurate; export reports missing data. Windaward technicians use a licence you have paid for to investigate their system's issues further undermining your business as you've less workstations. We wired the internet throughout our shop as they suggested, this resolved no issues. We found usability to be poor, search functionality poor, & it would take us many steps to do basic things.

Robert C.

Reviewed on 25/10/2017

This is a smooth and feature rich software that transformed our business.

Pros

Our ability to drill into items where you should be able to. Having linked PO's direct in the inventory items is essential to tracking when an items was purchased and received. The full functioning GL of this software in nothing less than exceptional and really can give a business owner the feeling of control when operating their business

Cons

I think the most difficult thing with Windward is the learning curve. Reports are sometimes hard to understand at first until you understand them. the XML editor for invoice templates need work, this the most difficult part of the program to use if you are a novice or not tech savvy.

Ken F.

Reviewed on 27/10/2017

overall pretty good. As good as others in the market

Pros

POS screen is very easy for staff to learn. Transactions easy to process.
Lots of reports available

Cons

Update to windows 10 a costly extra. Payroll function lacking. Designing forms takes a lot of work,

Response from Windward Software

Hi Ken -- thank you for providing your feedback relating to your experience with Windward System Five.

We're happy to hear that you are pleased with System Five's level of functionality. In terms of the Payroll module, we encourage you to contact your Account Manager at +1 (800) 663-5750 to become registered for The Windward Learning Academy. This easy-to-use, yet comprehensive online training resource will provide everything you need to know about efficiently using our Payroll module, designing forms, and other system functions.

Reviewed on 08/11/2017

Overall this software has a lot of capabilities that integrate easily into our company.

It saves me time. We used to run and inventory program, a bookkeeping program and an ecommerce program. It combined these 3 programs into one.

Pros

That it is easy to train our employees on. Great help videos! I really like their integrated ecommerce. It is nice to update one price in our system and to have that price automatically updated on our website.

Cons

Not so great for my outside sales staff. We run their WEAR program for our outside staff. It tends to have errors as it is similar to running just a backup version. I also wish that their ecommerce did not run in HTML only

Penny S.

Reviewed on 08/01/2019

Good Product

Pros

Offered almost full function for inventory and billing

Cons

didn't communicate well with new credit card /chip requirements

Response from Windward Software

Thank you for your feedback, Penny. We will certainly review our communication regarding credit card & chip requirements and endeavor to improve this aspect of our business! If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us at any time: +1 (800) 663-5750.

Replied 09/01/2019
Leslie C.

Reviewed on 26/10/2017

Windward has allowed me to get out of the office and out with my customers again!

Amazing inventory control and accounting is up to date without costing a fortune in labour or software.

Pros

I love that my staff can enter income as it comes in and they can not get into the heart of the program. This removes the need for my bookkeeper to enter income, because it is already done! The support people are very knowledgeable and thourough too.

Dee-anna L.

Reviewed on 25/10/2017

Good for general business use

Pros

Support is always helpful, sales team is knowledgeable, software is easy to use and looks great, training website is great

Cons

could expand product base, would like to see specifics for different business types - customize software for retail, service, parts, etc.

Steven G.

Very good experience over the past 20+ years

Pros

Fully integrated product, point of sale, accounting and inventory control....Good tech support. Fairly intuitive.

Cons

Somewhat confusing when a problem arises, can't normally be solved in house, must call support. But they take care of it.

Trina M.

Reviewed on 25/10/2017

overall as I have only been using the software for a few months, it has functioned well.

Better organized than I was before it. Can access inventory super easy.

Pros

It has keep me on top of my bookkeeping, so I am more organized. although it is a 2 entry system, once you get used to it, it does the job. There are more functions available on the POS so it makes sales more easy than my old system. The support has been really good to get me through the rough spots

Cons

Some of the features could be more easier to use as far as customization of the software is concerned. Some features are hard to find in the videos for self help.

Eric alvin P.

Reviewed on 06/11/2017

Service is really good and the software is superb!

Integrated software that helped me monitor and run my business efficiently.

Pros

Winward software is very well integrated. From accounting, point of sale transactions, payroll, stock transfers, et al., you will find it there. Reports is received with just at a click of the mouse. It helped me run my furniture retail store with ease.

Cons

1. Sometimes, our retail needs need to be worked around because some programs have to be purchased as add on. This is a turn off sometimes.

2.While the support team is very supportive, sometimes the sales team doesn't understand the need of the customer and seem to be adding a price tag on every move.

Response from Windward Software

Eric, thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback with regards to Windward System Five.

We're appreciative to hear that you are pleased with System Five's functionality. In terms of your concerns, we have passed on your comments to both our Sales and Client Services teams and will ensure they are addressed.

Christine W.

Reviewed on 28/01/2021

Windward keeps us on track every day

It's a great system and helps keep our inventory, estimates, sales and receipts organized

Pros

It's easy to learn, use and does what we need it to ... and then some!

Cons

I'm sure we don't use all of the features to their full capability. The lack of a training manual is my only major concern.

Joiah M.

Reviewed on 01/05/2020

Do Not get Windward Ststem Five! Most of the time it does not work. It is way to expensive!

Look at the Cons. This is bad so so bad.

Pros

Just look at the Cons. There are no pros.

Cons

Everything!!
Bad System it never works and is most just down.
Bad support you rarely can get a hold of these people.
Save your money you would be better off donating it to someone that needs it.

Joe P.

Reviewed on 01/06/2016

windward software the best option for us

Over the years we have had many different businesses both retail and wholesale and with all we have used windward software. Windward is easy to use, easy to train and well priced. Every few years we review the POS and accounting software to determine if we should be looking at new software and after a few trials with larger brand name software always come to the same conclusion windward works best for us. Easy to use, best customer service and a great value. I'm sure we will have the itch to review our software every so often, but suspect we will continue using Windward for another 20 years! Thanks to Steve and his team for the years of outstanding service.

Never used this software

Pros

Looks like there are a lot of great features, The interface has a great look and feel. Fully support with online order processing. Their email blasts are pretty funny. the only one I have not opted out of.

Cons

Found the cost to be higher then expected. We where looking for a switch and it was not an economical option.

Justin S.
  • Industry: Building Materials

Reviewed on 23/11/2016

horrible customer service and implementation

bad company to deal with, we spent over $30,000 and after several months of trying to go live and we had to suddenly purchase more software from them and we decided to pull the plug..... we saw no future in dealing with this company buyers beware ...... i have this complet system i will give you for free..... if it works for you and you like it then pay us half !!