About Tableau

Tableau is an integrated business intelligence (BI) and analytics solution that helps to analyze key business data and generate meaningful insights. The solution helps businesses to collect data from multiple source points such...

4.2
4.1
4.2

Browse Tableau Reviews

2,030 of 2,030 reviews
Shishir

Reviewed on 25/06/2019

Excellent tool for Data Visualization with simplicity

I have worked on domains like Telecom and Network where in I have been using Tableau. Its really liked by senior management as it shows each and every bit very clearly to relevant stake holders. For example, Marketing head likes region wise revenue sale dashboard which gives region/sales manager/product wise sale.

Pros

There are many features which lot of users would have liked:-
1. Connection to almost all database
2. Many types of Charts can be created including Sankey, Doughnut, Maps etc.
3. Its has the feature of data blending and data extraction
4. Dashboards can be viewed on multiple devices like tablet, mobile and laptops.
5. Its really fast while drilling down or filtering out from any dashboard.

Cons

Its a bit expensive tool as compared to other data visualization tools however its a value for money.

Krishnamurthy
  • Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 13/12/2022

Nice tool for data visualisations and presentations

Got introduced Tabelau through my course in data analytics. Overall it's a nice software bit costly though.

Pros

I love the dashboard feature and easy story telling feature. We can add comments below the visualization and give presentations directly instead of transferring into different presentation platform.

Cons

Once started to use I liked everything about this software. Sometimes importing data which is been edited in the original format file can be difficult or can cause error while visualizing.

Amjad
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 05/12/2022

Great tool to visualize your data

Pros

I use this tool at work to look at award trends and sources. It is great tool to analyze data and to also use during team meetings to capture those data.

Cons

Sometimes the tool glitches on me when I use multiple filters.

Top Tableau Alternatives

Muzaffarhusain

Reviewed on 16/11/2022

Industry leader data visualization software

I was using Powerbi desktop before but it couldn't handle a large amount of data, whereas Tableau can handle a large amount of data very well and it is fast. Tableau viewer monthly plans are budget-friendly. I really love using Tableau

Pros

It is very much easy to implement and the dashboard is quite decent. Very efficient software for businesses in terms of reporting

Cons

Tableau creator monthly plans are a little bit high. Customer support needs to be improved.

Bhavin

Reviewed on 21/12/2022

Good tool but needs to be do lot better to keep being a market leader

Pros

Tableau's ease of use for the features that come out of box. There is lot of flexibility in how certain aspects can be addressed or customizations built.

Cons

The fact that there are several basic and standard things that are missing from both the visualization stack of Tableau and for basic and advanced reporting too. For Tableau to think that basic functionality e.g. sort columns in a report type format needs a customization, is ok and not address these type of basics is one of quite a lot of their weak spots.

omar
  • Industry: Automotive

Reviewed on 10/12/2022

Excellent and straightforward data visualization tool

use simplicity Simple accessibility to the trial. there are no limitations on data storage.

Pros

There are other features that many people would have liked, including: 1. Access to nearly all databases 2. A variety of charts, such as Sankey, Doughnut, and map charts, can be made. 3. It has the capability of data extraction and combining. 4. Dashboards can be seen on a variety of devices, including laptops, tablets, and smartphones. 5. Drilling down or filtering out of any dashboard is incredibly quick.

Cons

The lack of a spell check in the software bothers me, and I believe it should be added by 2022. I also dislike having to search the Tableau user forums for answers to platform-specific problems. The faults are frequently so broad that it is challenging to determine what needs to be addressed.

Laura
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 07/12/2022

Very intuitive and best BI solution for small datasets

Overall, I would say that Tableau is still a great data visualization tool. Very intuitive and flexible. If you need to run large datasets, make sure those are stored in a database first, so you don't run into issues with Tableau.

Pros

Out of all BI tools, I find Tableau to be the easiest to use. It also contains features that allow for very robust data transformation. I like that it can also handle SQL. I've used it for many years when I worked as a data analyst, and it has been great working with it.

Cons

I'm not a fan of this tool when it comes to handling big datasets, because it can slow down. Tableau works best when you connect it to a database that can store and aggregate the data the way you need it for reporting. I also didn't like that it can be tricky and almost impossible to set up global filters. Setting up parameters for date fields is not very intuitive.

Cheryl Ann

Reviewed on 06/12/2022

Tableau, What You Need To Know

Because our company uses it for KPI tracking, I believe it serves it's purpose in that way.

Pros

Once Tableau is set up it is very easy to use. It comes with different tabs you can click to see the data you are looking for. Tableau is also mobile friendly which means you take it with you where ever you go.

Cons

When using Tableau, the information has to be added manually everytime. There's no automatic update feature.

Mollie

Reviewed on 09/12/2022

Tableau is the best analytics system for managing a team

I love using Tableau its a way to get a full picture of how your team is doing but also dive really deep into whatever metric you need.

Pros

This is amazing for me because I am managing a team of customer engagement reps all of whom have many different metrics that they are held to. I can manipulate the data easily to look at different historics and track KPIS

Cons

Sometimes there is a lag in the software if i move too quick and try to go back and forth between data too quickly.

Abhishek
  • Industry: Market Research

Reviewed on 13/12/2022

Perfect tool for Data Visualization!!!

Overall, it is a great product with remarkable capabilities and use for data analytics and business intelligence. Easy to use, integrate, import, and visualize data. A must use tool in every organization!

Pros

I mostly use this tool for plotting points while creating hotspot maps in it. It is very easy and helpful. It reduces my work time and helps me create effective data visualization maps. It is also mobile friendly and easy to use. Its visualization capabilities are really huge and efficient.

Cons

It is expensive and automatic refresh report option is not available in Tableau. SQL knowledge is required to create queries.

Dhrumil
  • Industry: Banking

Reviewed on 13/07/2022

Excellent Product, great integration options!

It's got a whole lot of benefits and the look and feel of the software is better than any other software.

Pros

I love amount of features they have as compared to it's competitors. It just makes it so easy to integrate data within the software.

Cons

I don't like the fact that it has lesser functionalities when I comes to coding, preferably Python.

Qlik Sense

Reasons for Choosing Tableau

It's just a lot better when it comes to the features.

Reasons for Switching to Tableau

Sheerly due to the features offered.
  • Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 13/01/2021

Very comprehensive and all-inclusive solution

The ability to build dashboards that capture data that originate from sources so that it can be compiled in reports and dashboards that are used to analyze performance data of digital marketing campaigns.

Pros

The ability to create and visualize sets of data in a number of different ways, and tailor it to your liking something very powerful about the tool that really stands out. Having one set of data and being able to visualize and paint of a picture of that data in two different ways side by side in one dashboard really stands out for me.

Cons

The time it has taken to get in touch with customer support at times when there are urgent issues has been a frustration and has prevented our team from being able to troubleshoot a few different technical product issues in a timely manner.

Reasons for Switching to Tableau

Based on user reviews, through product demos and feedback on the initial product walkthrough, I found the solution to be tailored more to our teams needs.
Katie
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Reviewed on 11/05/2021

Longtime User

great.

Pros

Tableau is just way easier to use. Ive used a lot of others. Yes many have features that Tableau does not. But when it comes down to ease of use and fast turn around Tableau is probably the best

Cons

Tableau is not great when it comes to time series data. Its ok. But the amount of contortion that is necessary to show meaningful data in a time series is a real pain in the neck. Also Tableau data blending is nonsense. Better than Alteryx? probably. But still.

Virginia
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 05/12/2017

Tableau Desktop is my must-have software. I couldn't do my job without it (nor would I want...

Tableau has allowed our office to look at data in new ways. Whether we're using it for data exploration or dissemination, it makes the information easy to understand and use, even for newbies. In the past, we used spreadsheets and PDFs to share data with various constituents, but they were dense and only offered a static view of the data. Now, with interactive dashboards, end-users can not only search for the exact information they need, they can also see how it fits into the big picture. This capability has led people to ask more questions and actually get excited about data and assessment. Tableau allows us to answer those new questions quickly and accurately than before.

Pros

I have been using Tableau Desktop for over five years now and I still get excited about it. First, Tableau is so easy to learn and use--the intuitive interface allows even first-time users to create amazing visualizations. Second, Tableau is a time saver. What used to take me weeks now takes days and what used to take days now takes minutes. Third, Tableau is versatile. There are many different chart types available, and with the ability to tweak everything from size to font to color, your imagination is the only limit. Fourth, Tableau is always evolving and improving. With each update, Tableau adds new features and capabilities that continuously make my job easier to perform. The software is capable of connecting with data in many different formats from spreadsheets and SQL to PDF's and spatial files, making it useful for any field or company that works with data. I could go on and on about the benefits of using Tableau, but the best way to understand my enthusiasm is to try the product--it speaks for itself!

Cons

Sometimes large data files can take several minutes to load. Tableau allows for the creation of extracts to speed up the process, but the initial upload still takes time. Tableau also does not have an auto-save feature, which has caused me to lose work on several occasions.

• Industry: Graphic Design

Reviewed on 13/06/2021

Tableau is the best data visualization tool on the market and offers great value for money.

Tableau has allowed me to present complex data in a very simple and easily understandable way thanks to the many visualisations available. This has made presenting findings and reporting to senior management as well as clients very easy. Tableau has been very reliable and has been a one stop solution for all my company's data analytics needs mainly due to the fact that it allows us to combine all our data across various tools and work on them together.

Pros

My company heavily relies on Microsoft Excel to initially record and store data so I like the fact that Tableau easily allows you to import spreadsheets from Excel as raw data which can be transformed into great visualisations using Tableau's powerful features. I also like the fact that Tableau allows you to combine data from different sources and work on them together. One feature I find most helpful is report scheduling which updates reports automatically each day. This allows me to automate a repetitive task which I would have had to devote time to doing each day and allows me to easily monitor key metrics.

Cons

Tableau can be quite slow when working with larger datasets. Also, although Tableau has great visualisations for data, I feel there needs to be more statistical functionalities to be able to derive better and more in depth insights from data.

Janosch
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 25/11/2018

The future of Big Data visualisation and processing

It took me some time to understand the scope and approach of Tableau. During this time i was confused and sometimes frustrated as It was hard to get static reports out of tableau. Once however I understood the magic behind it (well actually it wasn't Tableaus fault, but just me being stubborn) a whole new world of analyzing data opened up. A Magnificent, splendid, dynamic and playful way of getting answers from data and a completely new way of thinking questions to ask from my data. If you do not have to create static reports which you want to mail daily to a bunch of people but want to explre the secrets your data holds This is THE tool. Definite recommendation.

Pros

Tableau is centered around you as a user asking questions to your data. It is as simple as that and it works in ways not imagined before. Via graphical user antierface and drag and drop you combine aspects of your data and visualize relations. The coolest thing is that Tableau supports you without pushing or distracting. The process is emergent and makes it possible to walk the line from coherence to causality and have fun along the way. The End results look great and can be reformated by a couple of clicks in order to shift perspective or look from a different angle or with a different point of interest towards your findings. Tableu picks you up where you are and you can run it as SAAS or on premise, depending on your preferences. Also the API is simple and powerful, making the integration as a dedicated reporting and statistcs module, or more precise data visualisation playground to your existing product easy and convenient. By doing so you can add tableaus product-versatility, ease of use and beauty to a product and participate from its user friendly and open aproach to data analysis.

Cons

The licensing was a bit of a hassle as we started in the early days of tableau. Also Sales were very eager and pretty actively tried to support us. This never was a bad thing, just a bit too much. Also Tableau introduced support for document based databases rather later than earlier so we had a slight wait there. Then again, every time the did include a feature it was just bug free and worked like a charm so this was allright as well.
Two things are especially important when evaluating Tableau, from my point of view: The data you whish to process with it must adhere to a minimal standard (or you will have to do a lot of conversion before you can enjoy it within tableau). So older datasources might become somewhat bothersome or at least require a preprocessing step. Most important is that you understand what tableau is for: You will have a great time when dynamically and actively exploring data, even rapidly changing data or real time streams. If you use a tool for creating static reports you waste the potential of this great piece of human engineering and might run into issues.

Masa

Reviewed on 27/05/2021

The de facto tool for all future analytical instrumentation professionals

It helped me to combine multiple data sets and create easy-to-understand graphs. I used to use Access and Excel to create matrix tables and graphs, but with the sequential conversion to Tableau, I was able to obtain results in about an hour instead of a full day, which dramatically reduced our work time. The result was a dramatic improvement in efficiency. As I was able to drill down and deepen our analysis, I was able to visualize things that I had not been able to express before, and I was able to notice issues that I had missed. The data mart was built at the same time as the introduction of Tableau, and the data sources are now centrally managed, which strengthens governance. Since I can now check the results on a daily basis, which I used to be able to check only on a weekly basis, the speed of the PDCA cycle has increased, and I am now able to challenge various ideas more ambitiously. The ability to visualize data in an easy-to-understand manner has made the task of "communicating" easier.

Pros

I used to use Access and Excel to create reports on data aggregation and analysis of the current situation, which changed every day, and I had to repeat the same tasks over and over again each time. However, since I started to use Tableau, the freshness of the most important data has not deteriorated, and I can visually view the data reflecting almost real-time data. The basic operation is not difficult for beginners. The basic operations are easy to get used to, even for beginners, and it is not that difficult to get started. I can organize data that Excel can't handle and put it together in a way that is easy to understand, and I can use the UI to cross-tabulate, graph, and visualize changes in numerical values, making it very convenient to use. Another advantage is that no knowledge of SQL or other programming languages is required to handle the data. Since visualization can be done interactively, which is usually difficult when there is a considerable amount of data, it is easy to make considerations based on the data.
Since it is possible to quickly change the chart (change the aggregation unit, change the axis, change the filter, etc.), it is easy to get new insights since it is stress-free to look at the data, consider the results, and change the approach again. Data visualization that involves aggregation is powerful anyway.

Cons

I would like to see a more complete set of manuals. Statistical knowledge is not necessary, but some of the expressions on the screen are difficult to interpret, and it takes time to get used to them. The visualization is not intuitive, and when you try to do something a little more elaborate, it has its own quirks, and I think it requires training to make the visualization look the way you want. As for the display format of the graph, you can easily switch the format by selecting from the palette, but it is difficult to find the menu for things like drawing auxiliary lines. Sometimes it takes a long time to load the data, so it would be very helpful if that could be improved. It doesn't depend on the size of the data or the environment of the PC, so I would really like to see this improved. It tends to be very slow due to slow loading of data and loading every time you switch tabs. It is not suitable for advanced analytical simulations such as statistical analysis or predictive modeling. It is only a visualization tool.
I would like to see more options for license types and prices. The price hurdle is too high, so please make it easier to introduce.

Kelli
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 31/07/2020

Excellent Product but Poor Support

I've been using the software for about five years and it has been able to provide insight into our data in a way that no other tool has been able to. However, support is terrible for this product and some of the versions are released with a few bugs. We will likely continue to this but it is imperfect.

Pros

The software is very powerful tool and excellent visualization tool. It is easy to get started and there is a ton of free training available. The pool of users is great and the community is very helpful to new and existing users.

Cons

The support we pay for is almost worthless. We frequently solve the problem ourselves and it is time consuming to submit everything via their helpdesk with nothing to show for it. Providing logs and files and emailing with someone on the west coast outside of normal east coast business hours is frustrating. Tickets get "escalated" to the engineering team and that ends up being code for "we don't know and this won't be fixed by us". Turnover for their sales representatives indicates it isn't a great company to work for either.

Highcharts and Microsoft Power BI

Pricing, features and flexibility
Surya
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 22/03/2022

Best Visualization tool in the market

Overall Tableau has made our daily to daily work much easier be it data collection from different sources or creating custom reports and dashboards or analyzing large set of data to gain impactful insights.

Pros

It has amazing data visualization capabilities. Working for an organization where mostly reporting and visualization done on excel, When Tableau was introduced to our team and has been so much beneficial for us. You can create a scintillating and self-explanatory dashboard using this which is easily understandable by higher management even if they don't have any technical knowledge.

Tableau can handle a large number of datasets also very easily and that dataset can be easily visualized without facing any performance issue. One thing which I like the most about tableau is report scheduling where your reports can be updated automatically every day.

Another thing which i love about tableau is that multiple and different kind of data sources can be easily connected at one place.

Cons

Till now nothing that hinders me while working on this tool as its meeting all my expectations.

Sunny
  • Industry: Government Administration

Reviewed on 06/02/2021

A great dashboard(-ing) tool

I have been using Tableau for more than 2 years now. The software offers a lot of flexibility with producing visuals.

Pros

Tableau has many great features but my favorite is its intuitive working which enables first-time users to quickly learn its basic functionality and gradually learn some tricks along the way.

Tableau's connectivity to Excel, sharepoint, APIs, google sheets, text/csv files, databases - SQL, oracle etc covers pretty much all bases for my organisation's needs. I have also been using Tableau Prep from the suite to scrub data while recording each step along the way which is a great feature that helps with reproducibility.
The Tableau online community has been a big help troubleshooting my issues and providing inspiration through showcased works.

Cons

Some of the API connections (e.g. with Safety culture) are not as seamless when compared to the competitor product - Microsoft PBI.

Fernando

Reviewed on 12/07/2018

A flexible and powerful tool

I am an analytics consultant and used to work mostly with SAP BW (Business Objects, Business Explorer, etc), Lumira, and Qlik Sense. My first contact with Tableau was very good, I've learned many things in a few days, it's very easy to use and also very powerful. I'm happy in working with this project because Tableau makes my experience much better, I'm liking it.

Pros

The easiness on creating simple reports don't obfuscate its power on creating complex dashboards. If you want to create a simple bar graph that shows your sales amount, you can do it easily and quickly, but it doesn't take out the tools and mechanisms that allows advanced users and consultants to do more, like creating complex non-existent (not ready-available in the tool, but possible) charts like exploded bar charts. It supports formulas and also have a very good engine for it, as you can define one and reference it by its name wherever you need.
As an analytics consultant, I've seen many other reporting tools, like Qlik View (and Sense), Power BI, SAP Lumira and so on, so I can tell that Tableau is a major competitor in segment.

Cons

A common problem that takes place inside large companies lies on the difference between how we think Tableau looks for data and how it actually does. At one of the cases we have SAP Hana as a database with its views as data source and Tableau as the reporting tool. Some of our dashboards have been stated as "slow", but we figured out that the problem was not on the columns that was available and being used by Tableau, but in the other columns. The Tableau doesn't ever create the same SQL as we are expecting for a situation, it has a complex way to determine the better SQL for the best user experience.
This slowness is known wherever you ask for "Tableau main problems".
So the problem was not entirely on Tableau, but in the way we created the views.
This is a very light con that has the main purpose to aware software buyers instead of saying "don't buy".
In short, the slowness may lie on data source instead of Tableau's engine. You should care about how data is delivered to it.

Anuj
  • Industry: Internet

Reviewed on 01/09/2018

Great BI Tool - Lovely Friendly Pretty!

• Anyone will be able to make Pretty visualization without much prior experience and can decipher stories underneath data.
• It was really easy for me to pick up the tool and get on the speed. Really like this BI Tool but it does have its limitations.
• Great for visualizations but if you want a BI Tool for numeric/tabular reports especially for financial reports - you should probably consider some other tool. With that being said, its totally worth the money for all other BI needs and seriously the best BI Tool available!

Pros

• Awesome BI Tool
• Very User-friendly
• Pretty visualization
• Easy to ramp up. Even new users can get to the speed really fast
• Tableau Reader is free - so developers can make it and anyone can view it for free
• Creating Interactive Dashboards and Storyboards is an awesome way to tell a story with the data - Great for presentations!
• While you can have only limited developer licenses but pretty much anyone in your organization can view or even interact with Tableau reports on the server - which is very nice if your audience is huge. Easy to export data/reports in Excel and PDF.

Cons

• Not much flexible for numeric/tabular reports, if you need a BI Tool for Finance reports - you really need this part!
• If you are building a tabular report with numbers you will miss few very basic and must have things - assigning row numbers. There is no such feature to append row numbers.
• In tabular reports, your hierarchy will remain fixed for every section. You can't have 2 rows in section and 3 in other. All secitions will be rigid.

Jayaprakash
  • Industry: Research

Reviewed on 18/09/2021

A user-friendly intuitive data visualization software for discover the real insightful...

It is a perfect sofware to get started in the field of data analytics. Data from various sources can be imported and transformed into insightfull information via applying effective visualization techniques.

Pros

I have been using public version of tableau software for more than a year. which is an intuitive data visualization software and consist array of tools and techniques to transform the raw data into insightful information. Data can be imported from various sources, especially both relational databases and analytical data warehouses created in Microsoft SQL server and other well-known server platforms can be easily loaded. The public version of the software provides significant features which supports academic and individual research purposes in terms of quantitative aspects. It provides flexible drag and drop user interface for creating the relationships among the dimensions and fact of the data that imported. It has the ability to automatically detect the suitable charts which suits and well explainable for the selected variables. Especially I prefer the functions available for time series visualization in animated form. Further, there are significant resources available in the form of help materials, video demonstrations and user forums, which can be helpful if there is any assistance needed

Cons

In order to get the full potential out of this software, certain IT knowledge is required on identifying relationship among the variables available in the dataset and to extent the functionalities. Further If we want access more advanced visualization functionalities and to share the dashboards with others, it is necessary to enable the paid version.

Tess

Reviewed on 03/06/2021

Great for Data Discovery

Overall its helped our business leaders to understand their data and make actionable insights.

Pros

Tableau is great for discovering interesting parts of our data. We use it to supplement Excel analysis and its super easy to use.

Cons

The dashboards can be a bit clunky sometimes for our end users as the UI is a little old fashioned. This is a minor thing but does make it a bit harder to use.

Google Analytics 360

Mode
Thomas

Reviewed on 26/04/2018

Tableau is my go-to tools for quick, nicely looking dashboards and data visualization

I get real-time data visualization from Tableau Software and a platform for posting cool and useful data visualizations without having to purchase a server.

Pros

Tableau is the software I use most (outside of Excel). The software's visualization tools are nice, at times amazing. Tableau connects with every data source I've ever needed (with the exception of one problem). The interactive capabilities and Tableau Public make for a perfect fit for a beginner to intermediate data visualizer. Advanced data visualizers probably find the functionality somewhat constraining, but that's one of the benefits of the software. Tableau is more than just a supped-up Excel graphics system. The analytical capabilities, although not best in class, offer all the basic calculations that most users will ever need.

Cons

Tableau is limited in its analytical capabilities. Tableau is working on making its use of R script more user friendly, although this requires the user to know R. Tableau's graphs are also somewhat limited at times, and Tableau for some reason takes pride in limiting its options (it apparently knows better than the user on what graphs are useful).