Smartsheet Reviews

About Smartsheet

Smartsheet is a work execution platform and collaboration tool with a familiar spreadsheet-like interface that helps teams plan, track, and manage projects in real-time. Smartsheet features include a range of project management...

Browse Smartsheet Reviews

3,264 of 3,264 reviews
Aditi
Aditi

Reviewed on 06/06/2024

Smartsheet has been a blessing in disguise

It is an extremely flexible application which streamlines workflow and increases the efficiency of workflow.

Pros

The various tools made data syncing, sharing, and integration became very easy for us to automate our workflow. Integration with other platforms helped us to cut down a lot of extra work. Smartsheet has become an ideal workplace for us where our team can work effortlessly and flexibly. The customer service and dashboard are extremely intuitive and accessible.

Cons

Smartsheet offers everything a new business would need. Therefore, there is nothing I dislike about Smartsheet

Linda

Reviewed on 03/06/2024

Powerful Collaboration Tool

Pros

Amazing SaaS product for work management and collaboration. It offers a user friendly interface and provides a smooth user experience to the end users. I like the most the versatility of Smartsheet and ability to use their various add-ons for different use cases. Their forms are simple yet powerful, their automated workflows are flawless, and their dashboards are very aesthetically appealing.

Cons

As any product has its pros and cons, Smartsheet also has different areas of opportunities. The biggest area of opportunity has been data limitations within the sheets; however, I know they are actively working on this enhancement and are supposed to be rolling it out shortly (I think the second half of 2024).

Balaji
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Reviewed on 16/08/2022

Great tool for project schedule management

Overall this is one of the great tool to manage the huge and long term projects. We have more options to customize the work flow. If doesn't hesitate to spend time in automating the work flow, we can get a perfect platform to mange your projects in one place. People who used to manage their projects in excel and google docs can easily used to smartsheet platform.

Pros

It has vast number of features and options. This can be a great option for those people who work on bigger and longer projects. Its one platform to manager you project task, status, and reports.

Cons

When the account is with huge data/records it takes too much time to load the page. Literally some times it take more than 15 mins and we keep refreshing the page. This is a huge pain at times. they need to look in this area on how to optimize the performance.

Top Smartsheet Alternatives

Jira Workflow Steps for Slack

Heidi

Reviewed on 02/05/2024

Low cost, quick adaptability, and ease in learning are key to this products.

While not as robust in spreadsheet functionality as, say, Excel, it's plethora of varied components and a robust selection of tools used in every day business and database software.

Pros

Familiarity to other standard office products such as MS Office, ease of use and adaptability based on our project needs. The overall feel is familiar to most as it uses standard business software looks in many key areas but has a large variety of options to suit your specific needs.

Cons

There were some limitations in the spreadsheet look and functionality adjustments.

Nsogbu

Reviewed on 14/06/2024

Smartsheet Survey by Wadike

Tracking, planning and managing projects & tasks are the main benefits that I relish from Smartsheet.

Pros

With Smartsheet, I am able to create and assign tasks automatically.
Tracking time and expenses on projects is also at breeze for 24/7/365.

Cons

Smartsheet has proven to be a real-game changer since it has zero errors at the moment.

Euler

Reviewed on 20/05/2024

My go for tool-Smartsheet

Pros

I like the layouts and its simplicity,the fact that it has an option to create forms and use it offline in mobile app is awesome plus maintaining large data is easy as sheets can be shared with multiple members of our team.

Cons

Smartsheet has no option to add notes to specific cells.

Joseph

Reviewed on 24/05/2024

Smartsheet: ROBUST TOOL FOR PPM

File sharing, project management and business meetings scheduling are the main benefits that I realize with Smartsheet.

Pros

Smartsheet makes it super easy to plan, track and manage projects automatically.

Cons

Ever since I started using Smartsheet back in 2014, I have never experienced any flaw.

Joshua

Reviewed on 24/05/2024

The future of Project Management software

Pros

Smartsheet offers a simple, yet powerful cloud based project management solution. It helps us keep upper management aware of the status of all projects.

Cons

There is nothing that we do not like about Smartsheet.

ADRIANO

Reviewed on 13/06/2024

Great tool!

So far, no complaints. We use it a lot for projects and planning.

Pros

If you are creative, there are lots of possibilities. Smartsheet is easy to use and inexpensive.

Cons

Like many other software, it's a little outdated in my point of view.

Emily

Reviewed on 21/05/2024

Helpful tool

Pros

Project tracking with completion. Communication through email when tasks are updated. Ease of assigning tasks to others to complete. Being able to share information in the form of attaching documents to each line item is helpful.

Cons

Without a user license you miss a lot of key features. A bit difficult to learn formulas (like Excel but harder).

Ryan
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 08/10/2019

Smartsheet is a great Project Scheduling tool, and so much more

I love Smartsheet! It has become an indispensable tool in organizing and visualizing the work we do everyday!

Pros

Smartsheet is much easier to use for Project Managemen than the classic Microsoft Project software I was originally trained on. It allows people to manage work with the intelligence of a project scheduling tool, but with an easy to understand and use spreadsheet interface. Since Smartsheet is a cloud product, each Smartsheet is available from any computer by just logging into the website, or even from their mobile app. Another great Project Management benefits is that the Project Manager can share a Smartsheet with their whole team to collaborate together.

We also use the Smartsheet for Jira Connector which allows us to sync information back and forth between the two systems. Jira can be complicated to navigate, and the dashboarding can be really frustrating. This connector allows us to keep track of individual tickets associated with a project, and even lets us import massive data sets for analysis.

Finally, we have ended up using Smartsheet as a dashboarding tool. It's actually surprisingly good as a Business Intelligence visualization tool for keeping track of our projects, and for displaying Jira dashboarding.

Cons

Like any software there are small quirks I'd like to see changed, or hotkeys added, but overall I'm impressed with the constant cadence of feature updates and enhancements.

Adobe Workfront and Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

Smartsheet is easier to use, is cloud-hosted, and has online collaborative features to engage the project team and stakeholders.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

Better collaborative and cloud-hosted options and a cheaper price point.
Cecilia
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 05/12/2019

Awesome software

I love Smarsheet because it made my work easier. Now I can have collaboration from my entire company and get fast results.

Pros

-easy to use and costumize
-more than one user can modify simultaneously
-you can add your company's logo
-you can set group and individual reminders
- Cell history, which can tell who and when it was modified.
-different views: calendar, grid, card, and Gantt

Cons

- not all reminders can be set with time to remind
- can't add a conditional formatting based on time
- if your Smartsheet is big, formulas added can take forever to update the information, so you need to refresh it all times, even if you change settings to save automatically.

Asana

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

Because I needed a tool that would have also a calendar view, and that could be exported to Excel format for future references.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

More options and could be tailored to our needs
Jessica
Jessica

Reviewed on 18/05/2022

It's simple to monitor progress and simultaneously work on a project

Implementation and usability simplicity. Tasks can be scheduled and rescheduled. Organization of teams at one place. Achieving the best possible results as a team. Instant messaging and online talking through the internet. Project budgeting and planning capabilities. Plugins and configurations are easy to use.

Pros

This app's ease of use and ability to manage projects and send updates are fantastic. Easily adjustable and a lifesaver when it comes to streamlining the way work gets done and keeping track of individual tasks. It is a more business-oriented variant of the other spreadsheet applications. Templates might also be useful.

Cons

My wish is that reminders and automatic emails based on task management/workflow would be sent. It has been a while since I used this, so things may have changed. This would be a significant advancement in the software's capabilities.

Melissa
Melissa

Reviewed on 05/06/2022

Keeps us on track with our projects

People who already know Excel will like the ease with which they can get started, but if they're willing to dive further, they'll find many more useful advanced capabilities like automation. It has a lot of power. The preconfigured templates are excellent for getting you up and running quickly. The forms are simple to create and distribute. There is a significant amount of manual labor eliminated by the workflow automation. The design of the dashboards is superb.

Pros

Using Smartsheets is the best way for me to keep track of my progress, interact with my clients, and make my work visible to my boss. Tracking progress and keeping track of projects and todos has been a big help to me with the aid of Smartsheet. Increasing the level of transparency for the company's top brass as well as its customers.

Cons

There isn't anything I don't like about Smartsheet at this stage in our journey. We've only scratched the surface of what Smartsheet can achieve for our teams, but the value and efficiency it's provided us go well beyond what a shared spreadsheet or file could ever provide.

Connie
  • Industry: Banking

Reviewed on 04/08/2022

Smartsheet Review

This software can be used in so many applications with no code necessary to create automations, dashboards and data aggregation from other sources. We have been able to redeploy thousands of working hours from administrative duties to value add activites.

Pros

Product can be purchased with a limited number of licenses to gain knowledge and champions to scale. This allows for a low cost entry point. Users do not have to be licences to use the software only to create or edit an existing Smartsheet.

Cons

The only issue we have encountered so far was the challenges to get our organization to scale its use. However, after 6 years we now see widespread use of the software with licenced active users in most departments.

Microsoft Project and monday.com

Reasons for Choosing Smartsheet

We outgrew our Microsoft tools and required something far more robust to manage all the projects and operational support issues that had been assigned to the Process Excellence & CI team.

Reasons for Switching to Smartsheet

Ease of use, quick start up, minimal learning curve, accessibility for all staff without a licence, good product support and access to experts for more complex solutions, excellent user conferences and webinars to learn advanced features for the program, affordability, wide range of solutions beyond project management and Kanban if you want to scale to their platinum product, well developed Smartsheet Community with so many questions answered when you google it, Smartsheet Certification available.
Grace
Grace

Reviewed on 21/08/2023

Smartsheet is a fantastic resource for teamwork

Using Smartsheet, our team is able to centralize our paperwork, more accurately claim and monitor our work, improve our ability to interact with one another, and gain deeper insight into any lingering tasks.

Pros

The best part about using Smartsheets is that you can keep all of your information in one place, including notes, files, and contacts. The system is intuitive because it is laid out similarly to common spreadsheets but with additional features.

Cons

It's not simple to put in place. Only one person, in close collaboration with a SmartSheet expert, is responsible for initial setup and ongoing maintenance. It wouldn't be as useful to us without the assistance of a SmartSheet wizard available only to our internal staff.

• Industry: Philanthropy

Reviewed on 01/02/2019

Smartsheet - Functionality and Communities make this an indispensable application

Overall, my experience with Smartsheet has been wonderful. The extremely active Community has made all the difference in the world, answering questions within an hour or two. The staff are also active in the Community and you can see their passion for the application and truly helping their customers. Smartsheet is highly worth the investment.

Pros

Smartsheet has so much going for it. It truly fits the new technological world that we live in by providing more than just the basics. Being a cloud-based application (SaaS), and compatible with mobile devices, makes it more functional across the board. It mostly touts itself as a project management tool, which is very true. Most project managers utilize certain applications that require the project to be saved down to a file, which is not easily shareable. Smartsheet can handle the same project management tools and live in cyberspace that can be utilized by numerous people, which different levels of access (viewing, editing, administering) and different views (tasks, gantt, kanban, etc.), and allow people to make comments, add attachments, and more. The most use I have made of Smartsheet within my organization is using it like a spreadsheet. I'm able to have numerous sheets for different departments where they have access to only their own sheets and update only what they need to update. Then I can create a new sheet that combines information from all of the sheets that will auto-update from the original sheets. I can also create reports and dashboards (with charts, metrics, etc.) based on information from all the different sheets. It's quite functional and utilizes much of the same fundamental logic that Excel provides. The Smartsheet website has an extremely detailed (and searchable) Help section and very active Community. Even includes videos to help guide!

Cons

Smartsheet does have some limitations. Most specifically, it isn't Excel and it isn't Project, so users shouldn't expect it to do everything those applications can do. However, there are times when it seems obvious that a particular functionality should be included that isn't. With that said, Smartsheet does a great job of listening to the Community and is constantly improving the application with enhancements to help the Community with its most voted on requests. Another thing that is frustrating is when an error pops up. More often than not, the error is written in a way that doesn't tell the user how to fix the error. Again, when this happens, I just reach out to the Community and get the answers I need.

Amanda

Collaboration made easy

Smartsheet saves us time and makes it easier to collaborate and share updates across all of our projects. We appreciate the constant improvements and the walk through introduction when bigger changes are rolled out.

Pros

Smartsheet has been a lifesaver for group collaboration. My team runs multiple projects simultaneously, and the scopes of these projects are constantly changing. Smartsheet allows for the team to update their pieces of the puzzle and send alerts about changes in one environment. We've actually replaced endless back and forth emails with the comments function in the comment section so that all pertinent information about an issue exists in the platform itself for easy reference.

We can track our gantt chart, program data, and group communications in one place. I=

We're also utilizing Smartsheet for people outside of our organization. Smartsheet allows us to select the type of visibility that clients have to data (through settings or via dashboards) so we can control the story that we're sharing with our clients. This has been a big time saver as it eliminates the need for extra reporting on data that is already avilailable online. Our clients have shared positive feedback about Smartsheet forms which we've been using to collect survey data and for event registration. The forms have allowed us to cancel our account for SurveyMonkey (which we used for several years previous to Smartsheet).

Cons

The main pain point I have with Smartsheet is the fact that not all of my favorite Excel formulas work in Smartsheet. The formulas also don't always work the same way as they do in Excel so there's a bit of a learning curve.

Smartsheet needs to allow a Time function. We use Smartsheet to register individuals for events, and right now we're having to program Time as a text. This means we can't use formulas to change times based on Timezones.

I also still miss when the recent sheets appeared as tabs at the top of the webpage. The new recent tabs menu works well, but I found the tab view easier to navigate.

Darrin

Quick points

Pros

·Being able to share a spreadsheet with other users in real-time.
· Like that users can complete a form to populate a spreadsheet to include uploading documents and that update requests could be sent to that user if a correction needs to be made or additional info is needed. The user then make the change(s) to the cell requested.

Cons

·Recently a change was made whereas a non-licensed user can no longer send update requests. We use Smartsheet to have student teachers complete some info pursuant to state law. When the student makes an error, we used to send an update request to have them correct a cell. Now only a licensed user can send those notifications, so we most likely will utilize regular emails for these changes or not use Smartsheet for this work.
·As of Monday (9.30.19), how the system used "comments" changed from a pop-up box that let you enter into a field, save that info and now click anywhere and that pop-up box disappeared. Now it opens "Conversations" which now blocks the right side of the spreadsheet and you must now click on the X to close it out. It also holds all of the comments made to the entire sheet which is more info that I need. Typically if a comment is added to a row, I just click on the comment bubble to that row instead of viewing all of the comments to the sheet.
·When an update request is sent and the person makes the correction, this information is not clearly discernible when viewing the sheet. Turning on notifications turns on too many notifications so this was not an option. The workaround is, I add a "note sent"column that I check when an update request is sent. I then review the sheet and look for rows that have "note sent" checked and now no longer have the pending update icon to look for corrections.
·Need better form controls (field limits, date fields, etc.).

Kat
Kat

Reviewed on 14/07/2020

Fantastic tool that is growing quickly!

I'm a huge fan of Smartsheet. I would highly recommend their annual conference - ENGAGE. It's a great mix of presentations of use cases, tutorials, hands on workshops, networking, and a glimpse into their roadmap.

With Smartsheet, we've saved time on existing processes and been able to build out new processes we weren't able to streamline/automate before Smartsheet. It also is so helpful with managing data integrity and auditing when/how things are edited. We also use it quite a bit to collaborate externally - that alone has made Smartsheet worth it.

Pros

There's a lot to like about Smartsheet. You can get simple business processes converted quickly. The automation 'designer' is so easy to use and it's quite intuitive. Permissions are easy to manage without feeling overwhelming. Their training center is one of the best I've seen. Our Account Team is also phenomenal. I can't say enough about them. They never make me feel like they don't have time to talk use cases, strategies, or even one off questions. They roll out new functionality often enough to add value but not so often that you can't keep up. Smartsheet also really values their customer's feedback - highly recommend their EAP.

Cons

Smartsheet is great in so many ways but there are some functionality missing that would make a massive difference in the amount of processes I could move to Smartsheet - cascading dropdowns, setting a field's value with automation, setting a form field's value based on another field or formula, editing an existing item via a form (not an update request), extract time stamping from cell history to be able to report on it. I would also like to see more consistency in the functionality across different apps within the platform. Overall, I'm able to find workarounds to most of the functionality wish list and with their ability to turn out new features often throughout the year, I don't consider these as deal breakers.

My other pain point (though it's also helpful in some ways, especially for small businesses) is how tiered the features are - meaning that you do have to purchase premium apps/add ons to leverage the full power of Smartsheet. That gives a lot of flexibility in how you want to scale but is also a bit of a pain as an end user, making the case for purchasing the add ons that will help my processes even more.

Maarten
Maarten

Reviewed on 28/07/2020

A powerful tool for rapid, automated, information sharing without jeopardizing privacy

I have used SmartSheet for a number of years with different project teams and different applications. The software is incredibly versatile and lends itself to every imaginable aspect of the projects, from planning and scheduling meetings to tracking and and documenting closeout requirements. The automation options along with the display variations and the accessibility via multiple device types and input devised provide meaningful, clear and up-to-date information to a large variety of people with equally varied technological backgrounds and communication styles. During the work day, my SmartSheet portal is always open!

Pros

SmartSheet provides an easy and efficient means of sharing information in a spreadsheet style format with web-forms that are readily accessible and editable from portable devices. The information from these web-forms can be set to auto-populate on the parent-sheet where the information becomes accessible to all authorized users at the click of the "update" button. For example, during the COVID-19 pandemic, a employee health status sign in sheet was created on short notice and sent out to all relevant parties via email as well as by posting a QR code at the job sites which all workers can scan with their mobile devices and fill in the form on line. The relevant information gets forwarded to main sheet accessible at the main office (nearly) instantaneously. The display options of the sheets are numerous and varied, very useful for different circumstances and audiences.

Cons

The functionality is quite similar to that of an Excel spreadsheet, but my recurring stumbling block is that there ARE some differences. That being said, SmartSheet does a wonderful job of expanding the function library constantly, which makes it an ongoing task to stay up-to-date with what is new and possible (this is both a Pro and a Con since the library is so very dynamic)

Jason

Reviewed on 30/06/2021

Smartsheet 2 Year Review

Overall this has been a great program to use. With constrained budgets to work with, this offers tremendous bang for the buck. It is not very difficult for savvy users to become highly proficient with this product and develop organic business solutions.

Pros

This product has revolutionized the way I manage my team. I am able to use Smartsheet to track many different projects and annual work goals for my team. My staff appreciate the increased autonomy Smartsheet has brought to us. Their goals and metrics are clear and they feel more ownership over their work. Other teams have started to use Smartsheet for their own business purposes and this is making its way through the organization.

Cons

Some of the drawbacks about Smartsheet that makes it hard for our Data and Development Analysts to implement include the inability to paste a large number of rows into a grid. Our IT requirements also include having a test and development environment for the analysts to use and Smartsheet doesn't seem to have this. As a supervisor I would also appreciate it if the dashboard charts could be a little more Smart and pull data more dynamically from the source grids without me having to make manual adjustments. My colleagues would also like to see more ability to schedule blocks of time with the calendar integration like we do with Google Calendar. There is a workaround for this, but it isn't palatable for everyone.

Nick
Nick
  • Industry: Furniture

Reviewed on 16/07/2021

A flexible tool only limited by your imagination and ability with formulae

Smartsheet has been transformational for our business. As a small bespoke kitchen manufacturer (21 staff) we have some industry specific software for design and quoting, but most out of the box ERP software doesn't fit. We don't have an IT department so anything we use needs to be robust, and my background in programming has enabled us to implement some nifty systems using Smartsheet, but without the hassle of actually writing and then maintaining our own programs. Excel just doesn't compare, and is not cloud native so just doesn't work so well even in Office 365. We genuinely cannot live without it.

Pros

Cloud based - available everywhere to everyone
Flexibility - it's not only a project management tool, it can do most things that Excel can do, but often better. Specifically column formulae are a fantastic recent addition that enables sheets to become almost unbreakable

Cons

Nothing major. There are some minor gripes:
- Slack integration doesn't allow tagging of individuals, and cannot allow a variable to determine which channel to send the message to
- Cannot yet control heirarchy with formulae, I hope this function will come eventually

Prajjwal

Reviewed on 10/05/2023

When it comes to efficient and effective project management, Smartsheet is your best friend!

Because of the platform's ability to help us efficiently organize and track our data, we can improve the efficacy of our decision-making processes, which is just one of the many benefits we reap when we learn to utilize each of Smartsheet's many tools properly. Our team members' workload has unquestionably increased.

Pros

When it comes to effective project management and data analysis, Smartsheete is the platform that has it all. We appreciate how this platform has freed up our time and effort to concentrate on other projects, ultimately boosting our company's efficiency from the inside out. Smartsheet's collaboration features are among the most flexible, allowing team members to easily share ideas, assign tasks, and set due dates in real-time. In contrast to other platforms we tried, where it took too long to solve inconveniences while waiting for a response from the support, it has excellent support because they attended to all the requests we made for inconveniences presented to us in the process of adapting to it.

Cons

We have no significant complaints; the issues we encountered at the outset were resolved in subsequent updates. If anything, I would point out that the Smartsheet platform has a steep learning curve, which is to be expected given the breadth of its project management features, which ultimately streamline and accelerate the company's internal operations.

Nathan
Nathan

Reviewed on 19/07/2019

SmartSheet - A different approach to project management tools

Project management is a very important part of any Business operation and as such, its important to explore options. Smartsheet appeals to us because we have a strong background with Microsoft Excel and adopting it has been easy.

Our goal is finding a project management solution that works for our teams and ensuring that they actually use it. While everyone has their personal preference, SmartSheet was a better fit as a lot of our teams already use Excel extensively.

Pros

SmartSheet is a good project management tool that has an interface similar to Excel.
Pros:

1. Multiple Project Views - Project managers will appreciate the multiple viewing options such as Gannt and Kanban, standard spreadsheet and even a calendar view. Many options for different managers.

2. If Spreadsheets are your thing, SmartSheet is worth a try - If you and your team use spreadsheets a lot, you may appreciate that SmartSheet is based off the concept of spreadsheets, you can adopt and add different sheets for a variety of projects. So whether basic or advanced, a host of users can easily adapt to Smartsheet if they know how to use a spreadsheet, even to the point of adding formulas and formatting of cells. This is a huge selling point which makes SmartSheet a good option.

3. As Good as Project Management tools get - As a project management tool Smartsheet covers the basics. You get milestones, task management, comments, collaboration and project management and as mentioned before the view options.

4. You can add collaborators to a project for free - A good thing is that you can add multiple “users” to access Smartsheets without paying extra. If you do need to give them more privileges, there are options to set them up.

5. Support for Smartsheet is stellar - There is a thriving community of users and help guides and videos if you ever find yourself stuck and not sure what to do.

6. Smartsheet also integrates well with Microsoft Office 365.

Cons

There is not a lot to gripe about SmartSheets other than on occasion, the app can lag or suffer an error and finding what error it is and how to fix it can be a little frustrating.

There is a limitation with exporting reports. If you want to display data in a visual way, you may need to manually extract the data and then add it into another application. If the reports feature could be improved and maybe export in a usable format it would be a solid winner.