About Melio

Melio is an accounts payable solution that helps small businesses manage online payments via bank transfers and debit or credit cards. Key features include payment scheduling, automated data synchronization, reporting, invoicing,...

Browse Melio Reviews

• Industry: Design

Reviewed on 15/06/2021

They Cancelled My Account

Not dandy, not happy

Pros

I have no idea if I cannot use it, I cannot know

Cons

My client wanted to pay with a bank transfer, so I signed up for Melio. I set up the account, verify the deposit, all looked like it is working properly. Now my client signed the contract, I sent him a payment request, he paid and a day later I get notified that my account could not be verified and the payment won't go through. This is so embarrassing. Instead of them contacting me and request whatever proof they need, do this discreetly, and continue the process, they just kicked me off. I have no idea why. Why not at the time I signed up. Why am I verifying my bank account last week was not enough? It is a business account. This payment is business to business. My business has been around since 2011. I really don't know. Now I either have to find another payment method or somehow get this back working and ask my client again to pay. It is just not a reliable way for me to do business. They will wonder if I cannot even get their payment coming through what kind of service I will provide. That is a bad way to build trust with a new client. Thanks, Melio

Response from Melio

Hi, our Risk & Compliance team determined we are unable to support your transactions. While we cannot publicly discuss the details of your case, if you would like to provide us with further information and appeal our decision you can reach out directly to: [email protected]

Replied 28/06/2021
Wil S.

Reviewed on 20/08/2021

Great website to get paid for your invoices

Pros

Great software to get paid quickly on your invoices

Cons

None so far in my almost year of using it. No problems so far

Reasons for Choosing Melio

Ease of use

Square Payments

Ease of use for clients

Response from Melio

Hi Wil, thank you for posting your review. We are very happy to hear Melio made your life easier - that was and remains our goal.

Marie K.

Reviewed on 05/08/2021

Streamlined A/P and A/R

I first did an informational webinar with Matthew. From there, I wanted to move forward and he has been an excellent support person every step along the way to a quickly functioning site for all of my Clients! Matthew works directly with his awesome Melio tech team to get everything set up correctly and to answer all of my questions!

Pros

It is great to have all my Clients on one easy platform to send payments on Bills and to receive funds on Invoices. It also makes it much easier on our Vendors as they have the option to receive a paper bill pay check, or an ACH transfer.

Cons

I am not experiencing any negatives. This is a great program working with Quickbooks Online.

Response from Melio

Hi Marie, thank you for posting your review. We are very happy to hear Melio made your life easier - that was and remains our goal. We will pass along your kind words to Matthew and the rest of the team.

Replied 15/08/2021

Top Melio Alternatives

Katherine M.

Reviewed on 10/12/2020

High marks for ease of use and customer service

Overall I've been very pleased with Melio. We currently only use it to pay vendors which is all we need and for that it's perfect. The payments are fast, secure, and easy to set up. I should have signed up for this service long ago!

Pros

Pros are user friendly, customer service, speed of payment.

Cons

I don't know that I've found any cons yet. So far the program has given me exactly what I've needed it to. I guess the only thing is not being able to merge two vendors that are the same but accidentally created if both have a payment already made on them.

Response from Melio

Hi Katherine, thank you so much for this great review. So happy to hear Melio has been able to simplify your bill pay process and we're super grateful to have you as a customer.

David T.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 08/12/2020

Fantastic, easy to use product

I have cut back on hand written checks by 90%, which saves me 2-3 hours and ACH transactions are more secure and immediate than mail.

Pros

I like how easy it is to use and the product feels very secure.

Cons

Copying vendors between stores under the same company would be a great feature.

I found the Quickbooks integration clunky, as every time I made a payment it made several entries, but it's fast enough to manually enter payments.

Response from Melio

Hi David, thank you for posting such a great review. We are glad to hear using Melio saves your business so much time - it's what we're here for! We would also like to thank you for your valuable feedback and will pass it along to the team to see what can be improved.

Sherry E.

Reviewed on 07/09/2021

Love Melio

Pros

I found this on a podcast and love it. It is absolutely free for me and my clients. It also has approval capabilities that are needed for me.

Cons

I wish that they would do batch processing instead of individual bills but I understand that is coming.

Response from Melio

Hi Sherry, thank you for posting your review. We are very happy to hear you find Melio useful for you and your clients. As you mentioned, we are currently working on the ability to pay multiple bills with a single transaction and hope to roll it out soon.

Jason K.

Reviewed on 17/12/2020

The easiest way to pay vendors

Absolutely love it!

Pros

Love using this to easily pay all my vendors, track payments and of course have the flexibilty to use a credit card vs bank account as a funding option.

Cons

Improved workflow to add new vendors. Time for payment by check to get delivered.

Response from Melio

Hi Jason, thank you for this amazing review and for your important feedback. We are glad to hear you are finding Melio to be useful and easy and that you enjoy our features and interface. We are currently working to add fast payment options, so stay tuned.

Replied 27/12/2020
Kyle B.
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 31/01/2020

Good; need international payments

Pros

It is very convenient to use and the QB integration is a huge plus. I use this for Domestic transactions.

Cons

I really hope you make INTERNATIONAL payments possible really soon. I do business with vendors in China, Argentina, Bolivia, Philippines and I hope to use Melio's services to pay my vendors.

Bill.com
Joanne A.
  • Industry: Pharmaceuticals

Great Bill Pay Service

Pros

Melio is very easy to use. I love that you can upload the invoice and it preloads most of the necessary fields to process payments. Everything transfers over to our quickbooks accounts. The option to pay with our credit card is very convenient.

Cons

We are a pharmaceutical company and unfortunately cannot pay for our pharmaceuticals through Melio due to some compliance issues.

Levy C.
  • Industry: Wholesale
  • Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 12/08/2021

Terrible company and customer service

Terrible taking advantage of small business owners.

Pros

Nothing. Literally scammers. Will never ever work with them.

Cons

They stole 22k from me.
My customer sent me 22k from thier platform and they took the money for over a week and didn’t send it to me. Then they canceled the payment over a week ago and still didnt refund the money to my client and when we call they say the supervisor will call me and hang up and he never calls

Response from Melio

Hi Levy, we are sorry to hear about your experience. We have searched our record and have been unable to locate a user by your name. Please send us your contact details to [email protected] so that a team member can reach out and resolve your issue.

Replied 24/08/2021
Amalia L.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 02/10/2021

Lovely interface, but broken functionality

Overall, I'd say Melio is an alpha product that was released to the market too fast. Their UI is beautiful, but their underlying software is really disappointing. I'd steer clear until they've had time to build a reliable product.

Pros

The user interface design of Melio is really pretty, and the features seem really nice and simple visually, at least.

Cons

The visual design is great, but so far, all the major functionality I've tried is broken.

Credit Card Payments
I tried to pay a vendor via the credit card functionality, but since credit card verification takes days, I ended up running out of time and had to just go pay my bank for a wire transfer. So Melio cost me time and money! And I was embarrassed about the late payment. My card was fine; it's just the address Melio had for it was wrong. I couldn't tell because Melio doesn't show you your credit card details on the dashboard. I also couldn't tell because the credit card form is broken in Chrome!

Vendor Management
I gave Melio a second chance and added my vendors for my other business into it. The vendor info request functionality is broken! The first email doesn't send. The "resend" email has image buttons in it with broken links, so your vendor can't access Melio even if they get the email!

I have yet to have a successful experience using Melio, and I hate how it has only made me look bad to my vendors so far.

Lynne D.

Reviewed on 02/10/2020

Garbage

The chap I have been dealing with on the helpdesk has been lovely but his hands are tied. This mess is all the compliance area. What a disaster.

Pros

I originally liked it because our customers could choose to pay by their bank account with no fees. We are a preschool serving a diverse range of socio-economic backgrounds and being able to pay online made it easy for our families to pay their tuition fees without incurring extra costs.....BUT

Cons

We trialed it, then used it with a couple of parents and it worked well....FOR 1 MONTH!! Now they can't (won't) verify us as a company! It appears that they don't have the systems that make this an automated transaction platform. Real people at their company are deciding each month what they will allow and not allow - how bizarre is that!

Response from Melio

Hi Lynne, we are sorry you feel this way. Without getting into the specifics of your case, Melio is a business-to-business payment tool, allowing small business owners to make payments to other businesses online. For compliance reasons, we cannot approve transactions in which one or more of the parties is not a business. We would be happy to discuss the details via a separate channel and you are welcome to contact our support team at any time.

Team Melio.

Replied 05/11/2020
Terrance P.

Reviewed on 09/04/2021

Nightmare experience followed by horrible support - run away fast

Like having your business murdered.

Pros

It doesnt have any pros compared to the damage it caused us

Cons

It made us a victim of fraud and their support team is even more inadequate than quickbooks online support.

Response from Melio

Hi Terrance, we are sorry to hear about your experience. Without publicly getting into the specifics of your case, we've confirmed that the duplicate check issue you encountered has been addressed and resolved. Please feel free to reach out to us directly if you need any further assistance: [email protected]

Replied 02/06/2021
Dante D.
  • Industry: Wine & Spirits

Reviewed on 14/12/2020

A great service overall

Pros

Straight to the point - it simply and effectively works.

Cons

I haven't run into any issues so far. No complaints!

Response from Melio

Hi Dante, thank you for posting such a great review. Glad to hear you have had no issues with us :-)

Nicole G.

Reviewed on 29/01/2020

Great overall but could use some improvements

I've had some slow responses in the past when transactions haven't gone through smoothly but overall I've been happy with their customer service and their service.

Pros

It's easy to use and it does what it advertises.

Cons

I don't like that the fees get lumped into one big payment. I would prefer separate bills for each transaction fee. I would also like to have the option to see when a check was deposited by the vendor (and see a copy of the check) instead of having to reach out to customer service each time.

Adrienne L.
  • Used for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 11/02/2020

Not on time

If Melio does not deliver your payments on time I don’t see how it will benefit companies.

Pros

Modern, ease of use, could be useful and a good idea.

Cons

No matter the date you choose they are late processing and will make you late on due dates.

Angelo C.
  • Industry: Wine & Spirits

Reviewed on 19/08/2021

Good for Small Volume Payment Processing

Overall, Melio has provided a great solution for our business to be able to easily send ACH payments to our vendors. This holds the highest value in their product for us. However, time to deploy new features is often far overdue, and leave the platform feeling lacking most of the time.

Pros

Easy setup and deployment, connection with external accounting system began easily.

Cons

Does not provide a great solution for medium-sized operations that need to batch out large quantities of payments or sorting and balancing this data.

Bill.com

Cost

Response from Melio

Hi Angelo, thank you for posting your review. We are very happy to hear Melio you find Melio useful. We appreciate your detailed feedback and will take it into account as we continue to improve our product and service.

Adam L.

Melio for Wine Retailers

See above.

Pros

-ability to use credit cards to pay distributors via ACH
-ability to earn triple points on Chase INK Preferred card since Melio is categorized as "shipping" for Chase. Don't mess around with this!
-syncing to Quickbooks invoices
-itemized credit card transactions with distributor name; easier for bookkeeper
-wonderful and responsive account rep - [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] Smart
-simple interface

Cons

THINGS TO ADD:
-importing vendor credits from Quickbooks to Melio
-ability to partially pay an invoice
-ability to sort invoices by date, vendor, due date, amount, etc.
-need to clearly display which store/account I'm logged in under; I have two stores and I have to click my name in the bottom left to see which store I'm logged in under

ISSUES/IMPROVEMENTS:
-better communication with accounts receivable departments at vendors; a lot of companies have Melio and have no idea what it is, don't trust payment, don't tell sales reps, etc.
-improve the speed of emailing of payees after payments are made; there is a lot of confusion if/when a payment is made
-Code for bonus categories for AmEx and Barclays business cards
-Create an Android app
-Find a way for credit card payments to hit vendors' accounts at open of business next-day
-offer promotions to be more competitive with Plastiq. Currently, Plastiq offers tens of thousands of dollars every month with 1% fees. They also only charge 2.5%...
-Find a way to make COD payments easier or more trusted with alcohol vendors

Markus M.
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 22/01/2020

Great payment tool

I'm excited to use this new platform, the customer service team is fantastic, they immediately respond and they're quick in understanding your 'concern' and will address it accordingly. If it's a new feature idea, they'll let you know that it's been on their list but that other features may currently have priority, appreciate that honesty to not create false hope.

Pros

Ease of setting up all my vendors so they can be paid via ACH with a few clicks (for free)
Upload/scan of invoices
Quickbooks integration, crucial!!
Customer service

Cons

I look forward when they allow me to send out a link to new vendors so they can do their own onboarding (put in their contact & bank details) so that I don't have to chase them myself and input manually.

Gusto

Reasons for Switching to Melio

I liked the 'simplicity' of use of Melio, it's exactly what my type of business needed.
Corinne T.

Reviewed on 12/08/2021

I lead teams with interns and newbies and Melio has saved my sanity!

Pros

Simple to set-up, train and use - Melio has been a lifesaver in my accounting team processes. The approval functionality allows for training of interns and newbies with some control and the automated notifications help keep our suppliers informed and happy. Love being able to preschedule payments to pay per supplier terms which helps keep cash in the bank as long as possible yet avoiding late fees.

Cons

Just wish that there was a notification for suppliers as soon as the payment was set up vs just when it’s sent.

Response from Melio

Hi Corinne, thank you for posting your review. We are very happy to hear Melio made your life easier - that was and remains our goal. We appreciate your feedback and will take it into account as we continue to improve our product and service.

Kari S.

Reviewed on 20/08/2021

Bookkeepers dream come true

It is a huge time saver and very convenient not to have to print and mail checks. It is also faster than many bank bill-pays.

Pros

It easily integrates with online accounting software and helps me pay bills for multiple clients in one place.

Cons

I wish it would not sync recurring payments into online accounting software until it occurs because I don't want to pre-record a whole year of payments.

Response from Melio

Hi Kari, thank you for posting your review. We are very happy to hear you find Melio useful for you and your clients. We would also like to thank you for providing valuable input that will help us make Melio even better.

Kelly W.
  • Industry: Mental Health Care

Reviewed on 08/12/2020

Melio is the best for small buisness

First of all, it's free. How is that the case? I don't know. The customer service is great--quick, easy, kind.

Pros

It's simple, and does exactly and only the thing I want it to do: Pay people! I have other software the tracks everything, just no way to pay larger sums out.

Cons

nothing. literally. it's simple and works.

Response from Melio

Hi Kelly, thank you so much for taking the time to post such an amazing review. We are glad to hear using Melio has helped your business become more efficient and provided you with an easy to use solution - it's what we're here for!

• Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 02/02/2020

Sorry we don't accept credit cards - has that bothered you before?

Overall it's given me the freedom, and the recipients all flexibility to make transactions fast and convenient. I also particularly like support. They are real people and treat their customers as real people. Fintech can often get caught up in the tech side, and forget that it's is still humans housing the product.

Pros

The onboarding is fast and easy. It is a direct solution and no ambiguity. The support was fantastic and has helped when needed it, and that was user error, not the platform. What I like most is that Melio gives you the flexibility that you wouldn't get in your financing and A/R flex. It's also something that has actually helped our client's more than it's helped us.

Cons

There are some limits to what you can use it for, while I understand those limits, sometimes you'll run into sites that it might not work with. Perhaps a bit more detail on the progress of transactions, and an audit trail. It's a great solution to a simple gap, doing one thing well it's hard to find faults. That said I don't use it every day.

Reviewed on 14/12/2020

Great, cost-effective platform to process vendor payment

Pros

Perfect integration with Quickbooks. Low cost to process payment. Simple but effective UI.

Cons

Processing time could be faster. Initial delay could be shorter.

Response from Melio

Hi, thank you for this great review. We are very glad to hear you are enjoying Melio's user interface and QuickBooks integration. We would also like to thank you for the important feedback. We are always looking to improve and will pass your input along to the relevant teams.

Daniel W.

Bringing US accounts payable into the 21st century

Pros

It's insane, but businesses still mail each other checks. It feels like time travel back into the 50s. Melio makes it possible to easily do FREE ACH payments. It's crazy, that this is something special and makes them a standout in 2020, but that's the reality here in the US. Thanks for giving us the most obvious & basic functionality!!!

Cons

No cons. It's really easy and great for us.

Response from Melio

Hi Daniel, thank you so much for this wonderful review. We are glad to hear you find Melio easy and helpful for running your business!