Moodle Reviews

About Moodle

Moodle is an open source, feature-rich, secure and scalable learning management system that integrates seamlessly with other platforms and can be customised for any teaching or training method you choose. With fresh and...

4.2
4.1

Browse Moodle Reviews

3,184 of 3,184 reviews
ulises
ulises

Reviewed on 15/04/2023

Moodle: Exploiting your potential with an Effective Digital Learning Tool

In my experience I have worked several times with the moodle tool both as a student doing several diploma courses and as a professor at the university where I teach and it is a tool that if you like to investigate, test and experiment with the tools has a very wide field of possibilities.

Pros

moodle is one of the best among many e-learning tools, as well as being open source and with many customizable features adapting to the teaching models you wish to implement. Another point to highlight is that it has an extensive community that helps to develop teaching ideas being able to adapt the contents in a more efficient way.Highlighting that you can add content created in html and scorm format which allows you to develop better courses.

Cons

What I liked most about Moodle was its flexibility and customization. The platform allows instructors to tailor it to the specific needs of their course, which makes learning more effective and relevant.Although Moodle offers many useful features, there is also one thing that needs to be worked on is that it has a linear structure which can sometimes cause the student to lose a bit of interest, so the teacher will need to make the content engaging for the student.

Google Classroom

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

Being able to include content such as html, scorm among others allowed me to improve the experience of my students as well as my learning.

Regards, Moodle

Replied 07/06/2023
NATHAN

Reviewed on 20/02/2024

User friendly learning platform

Pros

It is very easy to use. Anyone with basic computer skills should be able to login and figure out where things are and how to use them with little to no training required.

Cons

Some of the features could use some improvement, like the dashboard. It does not have a link to student email.

Reviewed on 25/10/2019

Moodle E-Learning Software Overall Review

So far, my colleague developers and I are excited about Moodle. We're currently customizing it (creating courses, students, faculty members, enrolling students in their courses, branding, carrying out training for both faculty and students) to suit our University's standard as we will deploy it for our students this academic year 2019/2020.

Pros

- It's built with the common language PHP and MySQL which makes it easy to customize (by Developers)
- It has so many detailed features built-in, such as setting the date a course will begin and end, methods for learners to enroll in a course, the timezone of the learner, and more features.
- Many plugins (such as video LiveStreaming, quiz modules, assignment modules) are present which provides even more features to the software.
- It has detailed documentation for Developers and General users on how to carry out functions on the software.
- Moodle is so far one of the best e-learning software which fosters the distant learning culture and is so helpful to learners for example in areas with a socio-political crisis.

Cons

- A fee is required for any least additional functionality the client wants to be added on Moodle.
- The codebase is so hard to understand especially for non-Moodle Developers hence making it difficult to customize Moodle by yourself or team developers if they are not an expert.
- Moodle is strictly course-based, making it hard to integrate and synchronize with say, a platform already built and used by a school, in this case, our University.
- Email sent by the Moodle system to users always land in their spam/junk folder or doesn't even get sent at all.

Google Classroom

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

- With Moodle, there is full control of data as the information (files and user data) is found on our website / VPS Hosting account, compared to Google Classroom whereby all information is stored in Google's servers. - Hence with Moodle, there's more data privacy.

Top Moodle Alternatives

Reviewed on 11/11/2023

Moodle is the ideal application for students, learners and teachers

Pros

The Moodle application is easy to use and free of any complications, in addition to being completely free .

Cons

I hope the developers of the application offer a paid version

Zoom

Response from Moodle

Hi,

We appreciate you taking the time to write a review. Ease of use and complications-free are key strengths that set Moodle apart.

If you require support regarding LMS customisation, expansion, or improvement, we recommend contacting our Moodle Certified Partners and Service Providers, who offer 24/7 assistance. You can learn more about how they can assist you by visiting https://moodle.com/solutions/certified-service-providers/.

Warm regards,
The Moodle Team

Replied 22/02/2024
Refilwe
  • Industry: Logistics & Supply Chain

Reviewed on 05/02/2024

Great, flexible and Remote Learning tool

It has been an easy learning journey for a working mom who is pursuing her studies further. I can learn at the comfort of my home, any time I get the chance

Pros

It is a remote learning tool , making learning easier and accessible at all times.

Cons

There’s usually some bugs but they are being attended to swiftly.

Jamie
Jamie

Reviewed on 20/10/2022

Too Inconsistent

We ended up switching from Blackboard to Moodle and then back to Blackboard again.

Pros

Moodle is pretty inexpensive, which is why we were willing to give it a try. It had quite a bit for the low cost.

Cons

Moodle has the potential to be wonderful, but there are just a number of inconsistencies that made us end up seeking a better solution. The User Interface is not terribly intuitive, leading to a number of complaints by end users. There were also quite unexpected outages or bugs that frustrated our team and students. It's just too inconsistent to rely on.

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Moodle was saving us $20,000 a year to use over Blackboard.

It was inexpensive
Emir
Emir
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 20/09/2020

Clasic freeware platform, has its quirks, but overall still one of the best solutions

Mostly positive. I would like to see if they can offer premium preseted enviroment.

Pros

You can install it on shared hosting platform in less then 10 minutes. There are lots of plugins and forum tips/tricks so anyone with a little bit time can become serious user/admin.

Cons

It is to fragmented, because of "openes".
Yes you can integrate Office 365 but integration is quite loose.
Yes you can implement SSO but some security concerns are present.
Mobile app is unfinished and optimization often requires in dept knowledge of html/css.
Reporting sistem is not straight forward, gemification is only an option, not reality.

Easy LMS

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

Price, it was part of my masters degree to analyse and implement Moodle/DL/elearnig solution in telco enviroment
Sandra
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 04/02/2024

My beautiful notes

My experience was great and I use it to this day, it is part of my routine.

Pros

What I liked most was the ease of opening at any time

Cons

Sometimes I was unable to access it, the connection took a while.

Juan Carlos
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Reviewed on 26/01/2024

Moodle Learning Tool

It has been an excellent experience, I have taken full advantage of this platform.

Pros

It is a very dynamic platform, very useful. With a friendly interface and great tools for learning. Highly recommended.

Cons

I have not seen any disadvantage, only a small observation, at the time of generating a ticket for user support, at some times it takes longer than normal. Otherwise everything is fine.

Heath

Reviewed on 19/01/2024

A Helpful Tool For School

Pros

I appreciate that Moodle was mostly friendly when I used it for my college classes, whether it was taking quizzes on it or going through assignments.

Cons

Moodle mostly did what I what I needed it to do and I don't really have any complains.

• Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 27/09/2019

The ultimate toolbox for educators

I have been involved with Moodle for many years as a user, administrator and developer. Be careful about the hype you hear from commercial vendors, they will often understate the prevalence of Moodle around the world, which dwarfs other systems many times. The community involved with this product have a common aim: to help educators; money is rarely their driver.

Pros

Moodle is, hands-down, the most functional and malleable learning management system available. Moodle can do everything we want it to do.

Cons

Sometimes you have to reduce functionality to make it useful for some people. It is possible to turn off features to achieve that.

CANVAS and Schoolbox

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Blackboard seems to be dying. Their product is undeveloped over many years and their proposed replacement still seems to be vaporware. The costs for this system are very high and very few equivalent institutions are still using it.

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

In a blind test at my current institution, Moodle was favoured by users over other systems. It won out in terms of features and flexibility. It just works.
Florian
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 25/06/2020

Capable to power a whole university

While certain parts could be improved, the whole experience never feels overwhelming. Content can be grouped into weekly chunks to set the right rhythm for both teachers and students. Announcements and Q&As take place in discussion boards, with automatic email notifications for those who don’t want to check manually for updates. It is even possible to hold entire exams with automatic grading (for multiple choice questions) and an automatically generated score.

Pros

With not just employees but also students working from home, efficient educational software is more important than ever. Moodle is capable to power online teaching for a whole university, including online exams, file sharing, video uploads, discussion boards, surveys and homework submissions.

Cons

At the moment, there is no native video conferencing feature. We work around this limitation by pasting links from external platforms, like Zoom or Jitsi. It would be nice to have this functionality baked into the core, together with the possibility of referencing existing content inside the video call: documents, discussion boards, surveys, etc. Another pain point is the grading section. It is meant to calculate a student’s score based on homework submissions and online exams. Unfortunately, there are just too many figures relating to absolute score, relative score and more, so in the end it is hard to grasp what the final score is actually composed of.

Nathan

Reviewed on 11/06/2021

A Great Open Source LMS

Moodle was a great first LMS for our school. We used Moodle from the very beginning and it served us well until we reached about 3000 students. Beyond that, we felt we needed more stability from an out-of-the-box LMS. We essentially had no tech team at this time, so we elected to remove the tech aspect. Any organization that has the tech skills would do well with Moodle at much greater numbers.

Pros

The fact that it is open sources is really nice. There are really endless possibilities with Moodle as a result, you just need to have the tech skills and personnel to put your vision together. The ability to customize heavily is a huge selling point for Moodle, one you don't get with many other LMSs.

Cons

This goes against my point about loving the open source nature of the platform, but there is no real support. You can work with a Moodle partner to handle technical issues for you, but this is quite expensive. Instead, I found myself spending many hours reading through forums to try and solve problems myself. Managing the hosting and updating of Moodle is tough if you do not have a strong tech team.

CANVAS and Schoology

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

We chose Moodle because it was very affordable. We also liked that there were so many options to customize the LMS. At the time of choosing, we weren't 100% sure of what we wanted our courses to look like, so it was nice to know we had a lot of options with Moodle.

Reviewed on 16/05/2022

Getting to know the Ancestor of the new Virtual Classrooms

It was a great way to start learning how to use a Virtual Clasroom, but I had to keep switching and integrating other platforms

Pros

It is a great way to remain distanced with students in th epersonal way which can be a positive thing for teachers like me.

Cons

It ensures very liitle contact with others and can be negative for a hands on Teachers... unlike myself.

Google Classroom and Sawyer

Reasons for Choosing Moodle

Because the School already had it

Google Classroom and Sawyer

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

It was a matter of trying different things in order to become more cost effective at the company

Response from Moodle

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. In Moodle, we are constantly working on new ways to improve our solutions to deliver the best learning outcomes. BigBlueButton, the open-source web conferencing and virtual classroom is now a standard feature in Moodle LMS 4.0. It provides real-time sharing of audio, video, chat, slides, screen sharing, a multi-user whiteboard, breakout rooms, polling, and emojis. Learn more at: https://bit.ly/3HDycMq

Replied 22/06/2022
Sean

Reviewed on 28/05/2021

5 Year Student Experience with Moodle

Overall, Moodle has been a (necessary) help throughout my time in higher education. It's great when professors want it to be great, but without their development efforts, it's pretty lackluster and reflects poorly on them.

Pros

Our university portal was a skinned version of Moodle, and when set up correctly, it provided a streamlined experience with access to all course materials, forums, and grades. It's lightweight and easy to navigate. As a TA, I found that the backend was equally simple, though some professors clogged it with information that led to a bloated administrative experience.

Cons

The software is only as good as the professor (or page administrator) wants it to be. Those that go the distance are able to offer a streamlined complement to the learning experience, in-depth feedback, and supplement the class with online resources. Professors that did not take the time to do this left us with a barebones skeleton of a page that seemed to reflect disinterest in interacting with the students.

Brian
  • Industry: Libraries

Reviewed on 24/03/2022

Solid choice

We run and manage our own Moodle installation. As we have that capability, it has greatly reduced the financial commitment necessary to implement the software. As we are a non-profit, this is a huge factor in our decisions regarding software options.

Pros

We have been using Moodle for well over a decade to handle our continuing education program. It's flexible enough to generally handle most styles and formats in some way.

Cons

The overall look of Moodle has remained constant over the years. A good chunk of that is handled by the theme you implement, however, the base interface is mostly the same regardless of the theme used. Deviating from that is not a path for the timid.

Sakai LMS and CANVAS

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

Moodle just turned out to be a better fit. The interface worked better for us, and the system requirements made it simple enough to jump in.

Regards.

Replied 21/06/2022
Eladio
Eladio

Reviewed on 29/10/2023

A powerful, yet old tool

Moodle is a powerful tool. A good and unexpensive alternative. But even if you choose a modern theme it will feel old and ugly.

Pros

Most powerful LMS in the market. No other tool has such a wide set of tools and customization options.

Cons

Short answer: hard to use and the interface is horrible
Long answer:
- For the students: the interface is not user friendly at all. Messy, full of buttons and unnecessary information. The onboarding is tough for many.
- For the teachers: it is hard to grasp all the basic functions and upload resources. There are few tools to make batch changes. Maintenance is a pain.
- For IT: hard to deploy. It is the WP version of the LMS world, but tougher.

Podia, LearnDash, Tutor LMS, Kajabi and Thinkific

Reasons for Switching to Moodle

Price and flexibility. Particularly, the options to create online quizzes
  • Industry: Higher Education
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 07/03/2019

An easy and practical virtual way for distance education

Moodle, allows to offer an exchange space in activities for learning, these can be online or as a support for content management without using the web interface, also through the platform you can create private forums to stimulate discussions online or used as the main interface to perform exams and assessments.

Pros

This tool is also designed in free software is a multimedia program that explores the way to generate virtual ways of quality distance education through its virtual environments, the tool is one of the most used for this type of tasks or activities one of its positive elements is in creating private virtual environments where a group of students with their teacher interact online, which after defining the role of administrator capable of creating subjects and administrator, with the role of teacher with permission or without permissions allows to generate the educational base necessary to fulfill a course. Another positive aspect is the ease of making or creating questionnaires by subjects to facilitate the teaching-learning process and the different evaluative uses necessary to assess the student's progress.

Cons

The tool presents standardized content which prevents differentiating the treatment between advanced and regular students, as well as presenting differentiated content since when the group is created a signature and the access role all share the information according to the profile held by the participants, as to the interface this is not very friendly with the students since it does not have an iconography that facilitates the identification of the different options besides the menus are not intuitive that does not generate a pattern of habit on the actions within the program. layout is similar to a normal blog something that in my opinion could be improved to take more advantage of the online application.

Emilio

Reviewed on 20/12/2022

A User-Friendly Learning Management System for Students

Overall, I would highly recommend Moodle to any student looking for a comprehensive and user-friendly LMS. It has greatly improved my ability to stay organized and engaged in my coursework, and I believe it would be a valuable resource for any student.

Pros

Moodle is a learning management system (LMS) that is widely used by educators and students around the world. As a student, I have had the opportunity to use Moodle in several of my courses and I have been consistently impressed with its user-friendly interface and the range of features it offers.need for their coursework in one place, rather than having to search through various locations or emails to find what they need. Moodle also allows for easy communication between students and instructors, with a built-in messaging system and forums for discussion.Another great feature of Moodle is the ability to track progress and complete assignments online. Students can easily submit assignments and track their grades in real-time, which helps with organization and staying on top of coursework. Moodle also offers a range of assessment tools, including quizzes and surveys, which can be helpful for instructors to gauge student understanding and engagement.

Cons

One potential issue is that it can be somewhat time-consuming for instructors to set up and manage a Moodle course, as there are many different options and settings to consider. This can be especially challenging for instructors who are new to Moodle or who are managing multiple courses at the same time.Another potential issue is that Moodle may not be as visually appealing or intuitive as some other LMSs on the market. This can make it more difficult for some students to navigate and use, especially if they are not familiar with the interface.Finally, Moodle can be somewhat resource-intensive and may require a more powerful computer or device to run smoothly. This may be a concern for students who are using older or slower devices, as the system may be slower to load or respond. Overall, these are relatively minor drawbacks, but they are worth considering when evaluating whether Moodle is the right LMS for a particular course or program.

Response from Moodle

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. In Moodle, we are constantly working on new ways to improve our solutions to deliver the best learning outcomes. Discover Moodle 4.0's fresh and intuitive user experience. https://bit.ly/3bgVsDC Regards.

Replied 10/01/2023
Sandra

Reviewed on 07/01/2023

Moodle LMS - Decent Learning Management System

At the end of the day Moodle LMS is a decent learning management system.

Pros

Moodle LMS is one of the best Learner's Portal. Moodle was very helpful in the pandemic period. Moodle LMS serves as a bridge between the instructor and learners. File Sharing is works perfect, students can access the course materials easy at any time. Course management and publishing course materials are very easy in Moodle. In admin point of view, it very easy to upload contents, share and schedule session is very easy. Integrating Moodle with the education institution is also very easy. Admins can update the course files instantly and it is reflecting at the end user at no time.

Cons

Moodle has a very high learning curve in my point of view. Moodle's interface is outdated. Latency in the platform is also high at sometimes. If any problem occurs, troubleshooting is cannot be done by a layman. Moodle LMS has to improve their platform to matchup and catchup with the other LMS platforms.

Replied 06/02/2023
Luis Miguel
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 26/10/2023

The best LMS platform

Pros

I had the opportunity, to set, configure, and launch Moodle in my College, it was the best to the best on LMS, I tried many others, but chose Moodle by its unique features

Cons

hardcoding functions sometime is the only way to extend features

Response from Moodle

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. At Moodle, we are constantly working on new ways to improve our solutions to deliver the best learning outcomes. For any technical assistance, you can reach out to Moodle Certified Partners or Service Providers.

Regards,
Moodle

Replied 01/11/2023
Vashi
  • Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Reviewed on 03/03/2018

Moodle as a student and administrator

There is not really any cons about Moodle. It is a highly satisfying product that is worth a try.

Pros

First: It is free!

As a student: it has easy navigation, provides a dashboard with all the related courses currently enrolled, it has a calendar on the right highlighting all the upcoming submission dates. It also notifies us about the upcoming events the lecture has set. All the information are arranged in a neat format. It shows the online users. It has portfolio option, makes it easy to keep track of all our works. It also has email facilities so we can email other users.

As an administrator: There is so many features incorporated in Moodle! The teacher has the power to design the moodle course in however way they want: It integrates SCORM packages, documents, videos, links, quiz, different grading systems (average/individual) and the grade history of the students on the platform. The teacher also has the flexibility to program when to make one lesson visible (by presetting the time and date), when to close assignment submission past deadline automatically, or to create specific forums and events. One can use moodle to run a class or to act as a learning repertoire. There is also the option to add a chat room for a particular lesson. What I also appreciate is the feature to monitor course participation and activity log report of students. By including keys to the lessons, we can control who we give access to the contents on the forum. Thus it can either be open contents or private. The power lies in the hands of the administrator.

Cons

The chat feature should be an in-built feature rather than a pop-out screen available only when the administrator adds it as part of a lesson.

Kavindu Githsara
Kavindu Githsara

Reviewed on 22/11/2022

Free Open-Source Powerful Learning Management System

Great LMS Platform for both Teachers and Students. Ease of configuration and deployment. It includes all the features like, courses, Assignments, Exams and many more. Secure place to keep students files. Moodle mobile app brings mobility to users in anywhere at anytime. Specially, Moodle id Totally FREE and Open-source System. Anyone can use Moodle without Hesitation.

Pros

Ease of Deployment. Our team never faced any issues when we deploy our online courses and materials via Moodle. There are lots of tutorials and guidance out there, that will help anyone to archive their goals with in Moodle. User interface is very friendly for both Students and Teachers. Moodle helps us a lot in Covid Pandemic period. Best Long Distance Learning System we found so far. Moodle has a Password Encryption method that helps it users to keep their account safe and secure. Online exam feature is a great tool in Moodle. We don't have to use any other third party tools to conduct online exams.

Cons

Nothing to mention but Moodle Developers should improve the user experience in Moodle Mobile App.

Jim Paul
Jim Paul

Reviewed on 16/06/2021

Moodle as a Platform for Learning Management Systems

I've been using Moodle for quite some time now, and I could say that so far, it has disappointed me. This is the solution educators are looking for to automate their teaching-related tasks. Also, it's the perfect application tool to bridge disconnected learners due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Distance learning has been made easier, more,enjoyable, and activity-filled! This is the future of education and now is the best time to start familiarizing ourselves with learning management systems. Why look for another platform when Moodle is the best. This is open education offered by Moodle making it free and accessible to all regardless of gender, age, status, or race. Keep it up, Moodle. Way to go!

Pros

Moodle has been my go-to platform in building my own offline LMS. Since I got trained about using Moodle, I started loving it especially now that it has been a big help for us teachers to tide over distance education.

I find the features and elements of this software as excellent for developing LMS. The fact that a lot of third party applications can be integrated to it makes this application tool top of the line. Teachers need this to make the teaching and learning process much more convenient and interesting.

With Moodle, teachers can make use of multimedia tools to pique the interest of students for a more meaningful and fun way of learning their lessons.

Cons

To be honest, Moodle is the best LMS software out there. It has all the things an educator needs to integrate ICT in their instruction. However, navigating through different buttons and functions can be a little tricky that anyone who's interested to build their own LMS through this platform should undergo a tedious job of studying and learning tutorials in using it. Although, for a person like me who's not so tech-savvy, I could say that once you get the hang of it, creating your own learning system will be a breeze.

To the company, you can still intensify your customer support to make your tutorial and troubleshooting services available to Moodle LMS enthusiasts to provide ease in using this great education software. Kudos!

Claudine
Claudine

Reviewed on 16/08/2023

Efficient and Engaging LMS

Using Moodle as our go-to LMS ensures that we can reach our employees across 15 different countries. The reporting is great to track the completion for different business units.

Pros

Moodle is constantly upgrading the platform with new and exciting functionalities added. The look and feel are easy to customize.The navigation page is easy for users to search and find courses. Enrolling users is simple. Loading courses is easy.

Cons

There is nothing that I dislike about it.

Skillsoft

Response from Moodle

Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback. At Moodle, we are constantly working on new ways to improve our solutions to deliver the best learning outcomes. Discover Moodle 4 's fresh and intuitive user experience and capabilities. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWB6xEOfG1k . For any technical assistance, you can reach out to Moodle Certified Partners or Service Providers.

Regards,