Hightail Reviews

About Hightail

Hightail is a collaboration platform that enables businesses to streamline processes related to file sharing, project management, feedback collection or response and more. It provides mobile applications for Android and iOS...

Browse Hightail Reviews

Macylyna
Macylyna
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 30/04/2019

My Review on Hightail

This software has allowed us to securely send large emails.It is easy to use and has a nice user friendly interface.

Pros

One thing that excites me the most about hightail is the security feature it has. With the tool one can protect the file from unwanted third party by having document password that are only accessible by the intended recipient. With the tool one is also able to track email from who, where and when the email was downloaded.
Another thing that excites me is the ability to share large files. This is one of the key thing that made us purchase this tool. With it you are able to compress large document and send them easily. The other parties in the receiving end are also able to download it easily and fast.

Cons

I hate that the links shared expires very quickly.
The support team is also not interactive.

Austin
  • Industry: Mining & Metals

Reviewed on 14/11/2023

Easy for photo storage

Pros

We use hightail a lot. For our photos, brand standards, or even when we need to send files/images/videos to someone else on the team. File size can be too large to send in an email, this is where Hightail comes in clutch.

Cons

I have not found any con with hightail in the 5-years I have been using it.

Reviewed on 23/10/2017

Hightail has botched Spaces rollout and customer support is weak

Cons

From my latest support ticket with Hightail:

I am sad to report that uninstalling and reinstalling Hightail did not change the circumstances. I was not able to find the Hightail Desktop App for download. All I found was Hightail Express. If that is not the correct file, please tell me when I can find the link to download the app Hightail is recommending.

My desktop Hightail folders are still incomplete and missing files.

In addition, when I try to download multiple items from Hightail, I usually get one of two errors:
1. The download aborts with the following error code: {"code":500,"message":"There was an error processing your request. It has been logged (ID db8396e73d0bacc3)."}
2. The download completes and reports that nn files have been downloaded, but when I extract the zip file, only 1 or 2 files appear, not the full set of files selected for download.

All the other problems remain. Hightail continues to make dozens of copies of individual files. Deleting duplicates on both Hightail and the desktop does not change this behavior.

This is very frustrating, and it is keeping me from working efficiently. It is consuming my high-speed bandwidth allocation from my ISP, which then reduces my internet access from 4G to 3G speeds, further slowing down my work.

The lack of phone support, the lack of a remote session to review the state of my machine, and the ineffectiveness of Hightail’s responses to date are quite disappointing. At this time I am getting little to no value from Hightail.

Top Hightail Alternatives

• Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 21/04/2020

Good if using paid plan

I use Hightail every week for delivering assets to clients. The storage side of Hightail is less appealing, in comparison to OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Drive. I would prefer to exclusively use Hightail for large file sending.

Pros

I really enjoy the simple and fast upload speeds for sending files, which seems to be much faster than other file sending services.

Cons

The file delivery limits make it challenging for sending video assets, which tend to be more than 25GB. Other services are just fine for sending a final deliverable, which are generally <1GB, but to pay a monthly service for file sending, I'd expect there to be an higher cap than 25GB for the Pro version.

Benjie
  • Industry: Music

Reviewed on 21/10/2023

Send large files

Overall, Hightail has been as advertised. It does the basics we need.

Pros

Hightail makes it easy to send large files. We have several files that we need to share when new staff joins our team. It is easy to use.

Cons

The user interface could be a little more user friendly. It is fairly basic, which is fine for our needs.

Maria
Maria
  • Industry: Design

Review Hightail

I have a small design studio and I like the Spaces feature the most. I like the way I can upload and share with the team. I like they can access it whenever they want after the original invite. It has saved me time since they can access it anytime and download what they need without having to ask me for it. Nice.

Pros

I needed a place to store all of my files. Most desktop external hard drives fail and my information is lost. So, Hightail Folders have been a good place to store my large files and are accessible from anywhere.

Spaces has been nice to use and organize my work. I like the ability of sharing these files with my clients to get feedback. I like they can access the files and download them when they need them.

Cons

Moving files from one folder to another isn't perfect. I have had problems with this and have worked around it. But, I wish there was a more user friendly way of just dropping and dragging from folder to folder instead of having to go through a menu of tasks to do it.

Katie
Katie
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 16/10/2019

Hightail is great for sending large files!

At Creating U we use Hightail daily to send audition tapes to casting directors, talent agents and managers.

Pros

I like how Hightail shows you the number of views your files have received along with showing how many times it has been downloaded.

Cons

I cannot really say what I least like about Hightail. I guess it would not knowing exactly who viewed/downloaded your video when it is sent to multiple email addresses.

Brittany
Brittany

Reviewed on 07/05/2020

Not much to it.

Over all it does its job. Gives me what I need. My plans.

Pros

Not to much to it I get a bid invite from maybe two General Contractors and I click the documents to have them download.

Cons

Not much to it. No good back ground just simply enough to get what you need done. I only receive bid invites through this system.

Ben
Ben
  • Industry: Environmental Services

Reviewed on 29/01/2019

It becomes a staple to our business

Pros

Ease of a drag and drop to upload files.
Remembering email address
Retaining data so if I need to forward on a file to another person, I don't need to re-upload.
We don't think about using Hightail in our day to day, we just default to it.

Cons

No cons. We need to send files quickly and easily, it does this very well.

• Industry: Photography

Reviewed on 08/07/2019

Hightail makes file transfers easy

Sending files is easy fast and the control I have is great.

Pros

Easily I can send and track files being sent to my clients. I can adjust the time the file is available and get a notification. As to when the files have been downloaded. To me that’s critical.

Cons

I don’t use the project sharing but I should as it adds value.

Sami
  • Industry: Architecture & Planning

Customer since 2008

I have been using this tool for 10 years, and have been an early subscriber since the days of yousendit
It has changed branding a couple of times but it got better overtime.
It is not the only cloud service I use, as I have Dropbox, Skydrive, Box and iCloud accounts.
However, the main reason I stick with Hightail is the ability to control access to the files very easily and selectively.
In other words, the most critical tool for me is the Express App. Then comes the folder sync, and lastly comes hightail spaces.
I know hightail is focusing on boosting hightail spaces and stopped improvements to folders, express and desktop sync, but it would be a mistake to think Hightail Spaces is the reason to stick with this app.
As for pricing, I have been grandfathered in an old account on auto renew, so I do not think I would buy Hightail st the current pricing given the competition with the other cloud apps and services.

Pros

Unlimited Storage
25 GB file transfer
Set expiry date.
Sync folders to desktop
Express app
Hightail Spaces
Perfect tool for desktop collaboration.

Cons

Not intuitive on mobile devices.
The tracking app on iPhone and iPad cannot be used to forward files sent earlier from Tracker app, where it used to be possible to do so in yousendit app (the prior brand/software) but hightail rewrote the API and disabled that functionality.
While perfect on desktop, on mobile browsers the site does not format correctly within the window and text stays outside viewing area.

Larry
  • Industry: Broadcast Media

The truth about HIGHTAIL Customer Service

HIGHTAIL customer service is poor. I have on several occasions e mailed or even tried to leave a fone message and never receive a response to my questions. Questions like, just the other day the software flat refused to send. After several tries, I ended up compressing the audio file and including it in an e mail. Now the client has a compressed version of my audio, when my intention was a fatter .wav file. It would have been nice if HIGHTAIL would have had some kind of trouble notice on their site so I could have anticipated a problem.

Pros

HIGHTAIL gets my audio files to my clients anywhere in the world. But it can be cranky.

Cons

Sometimes client e mail addresses automatically populate in the "to" box. But sometimes they don't. It's when they don't that I have to go back to my e mail program and find the address, copy it and paste it in to my HIGHTAIL send. Also, if I am to quick with attaching a file to upload, I get this "calculate" message which never goes away. I end up going back and starting all over, leaving enough time between the time I attach the file and the time I actually hit send. Frustrating.

Ric
  • Industry: Printing

USER FRIENDLY

With Hightail, I do not need to maintain a ftp site. Hightail is my ftp site.

Pros

I enjoy using the Hightail platform to send large files to clients and for clients to send large files to my firm. Art files for printing can be extremely large in size making email incompatible for sending. I can upload to Hightail and send in very short time to a client and they will get an email with a link to download. One of the benefits is the client can just download with out having to populate a form with all sorts of personal information. Additionally when I send a file I can immediately get a copy of the download link and email that to others or to the recipient explaining what has been uploaded. Another benefit is that I can email my client a link to upload files to me taking the place of having to maintain my own ftp site. The Hightail platform is USER FRIENDLY for both my staff and my clients staff. I have been using it for years and still see it as a WIN-WIN software program.

Cons

So far there is nothing that i have encountered that I do not like or interferes with my use.

• Industry: Motion Pictures & Film

The Best Non-High End Transfer Service

I transfer a lot of data per month, and need that data to be very secure. I can't justify the cost of something like Aspera in my small business, and after trying many other transfer services during a time when Hightail was going through some major growing pains realized that this is the best transfer service for what I'm trying to accomplish. There are still things that could be improved, but overall it's an excellent product and one I have recommended to clients many times over the nearly 9 years I've used the service.

Pros

I like that you can easily track files and that it tells you how long it's going to take for the upload to complete.

Cons

I cannot stand that you are not able to create paragraphs in messages that go along with what you're sending. I also slightly prefer the functionality of the old Hightail Express app to the Hightail Spaces app. Another bummer is that when someone comments on a video for feedback (when there are multiple video files in an upload) that you do not keep them all together. It sends a separate email for each one and is enormously time consuming to sift through volume projects if feedback is used in the app.

Monnica
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 29/01/2019

The best investment I've made!

I am loyal to Hightail which says a lot. When I joined it was called You Send it and then Hightail and I guess there is a new name now. I will always call it Hightail. Its outstanding service. Thank you.

Pros

I love Hightail and have been a customer for a few years. The monthly rate is great and I hope and pray that you don't raise your prices. I have NO complaints. It's easy and its fast. Thank you Hightail!

Cons

Oh only one time the file I sent didn't make it to the recipient. Another time the desktop app didn't work. I got an error message and had to start over typing in the directions inside the text window. I called and I was helped by fantastic customer support and or tech support. Thank you.

Frederick
  • Industry: Sports

Semi-Tech Challenged Retired Guy

I can sell my products electronically/digitally. I no longer need to create DVD's and physically mail them. It really saves time and expense.

Pros

I use it for a hobby business I have. I send training videos to customers using Hightail. The upload and sending speed is great. I can fulfill several orders while I am sitting drinking my morning coffee.....it is just to easy.

Cons

I would love it if this software allowed me to send but not give the customer the ability to download/save/share.....but rather had the ability to allow someone access to view for a set amount of time.

Javier
  • Industry: Music

Reviewed on 08/07/2019

One of the best collaboration tools out there

Pros

The concept of dedicated 'Spaces'. I work with dozens of clients and each one has their own space, with its own URL.

Cons

I wish I could have folders or "sub-spaces" within a space. At the moment, I need to constantly delete old files off of each space to keep things clean when I have to upload new files. Sub-spaces would allow me to keep things organized even as I add new files.

Harpert
Harpert

Reviewed on 18/09/2016

I Used to like YSI but this is a nightmare and we transferred to We Transfer

The speed is EXTREMELY slow
The Outlook plugin that used to work just fine is now creating issues with Outlook
Folder Sync is very old fashioned (only the folder created by Hightail can be synced, you can't assign just "any" folder. We use small SSD's for our pc's and NAS for storage. But syncing (windows shared) folders is NOT possible

Pros

To be honest.... there seem to be none left (and I was a MAJOR fan of the old YouSendIt)

Cons

Nearly everything.
- The Name (High Tail, how can you come up with something like that)
- the EXTREMELY low speed
- The delivery notifications

Sophia
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Safe and Secure

Same Benefits as above, I love love love Hightail

Pros

I love this software because of its ease of use and I can send confidential documents without having to worry about safety. Also, the system itself is Fast and it will store my documents without expiring.
I can also send to clients and other personnel in my office who will then be able to mark up documents and leave comments. It is my Favorite Tool!!!

Cons

I honestly have no negative remarks to make:)

Cindy
Cindy

Love Hightail!

Overall, I've been extremely happy with Hightail. I love that I can upload a series of videos in one place for feedback, and not have to worry about file size. It's fast and easy!

Pros

I'm a video producer and love that I can upload a rough cut, share the link with clients, and solicit feedback all in one place. There are lots of great tools for leaving feedback, such as the ability to draw on the screen.

Cons

Clients are often confused about how to leave feedback at specific points in a video. It doesn't seem to be intuitive that they need to click on the actual screen of the video before typing in their comments. Most just click on the pause button and then type in their comments. As a result, the comments all end up at the beginning of the video, and I have no idea which specific shots they're referring to.

Kreeti
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 28/10/2019

Sharing, Editing, Singing & Managing Files Made Simple

Our team is accessing files remotely for collaboration and production using Hightail due to which we can save our time and focus on business productivity.

Pros

I like its file tracking feature that allows me to track sent and received files on various dates. Additionally, the data-sharing notification feature is excellent that makes file sharing more professional and managed.

Cons

With its free account space for storage is limited to 2 GB only, and also the maximum file size upload is only 250 MB, which is very low as compared to the other similar cloud storage providers out there.

Mike
  • Industry: Legal Services

Reviewed on 09/07/2019

easy to use!

This is vitally important to my biz I use this every day sending large video files

Pros

just simple to use. You upload share the link and you're done

Cons

Only thing that would be nice if there's a way I can create a Space and have one of my subcontractors
upload their video onto the space I created like you can do with Share file

Peggy

Hightail Review

I have been using/working with Hightail since it was YouSendIt many years ago. I have enjoyed the ability to send large files (I do graphic design & video creation) to clients. Have not had a need to contact customer support (that I can remember). Affordable tool for my business.

Pros

Ease of use when sending large files to clients
Like the email notification when someone downloads a file
Like that you can view a file before downloading
Drag and drop large files to send quickly

Cons

Not a fan of email component - no formatting to email
Clients are sometimes confused on if they need to create a login to download files I send them
Does not integrate with my Outlook email program - need to send followup email to clients to notify another email with download links will follow

• Industry: Design

Reviewed on 09/07/2019

Not sure if this is the best solution

Has served me decent, need something more fuel suite integration.

Pros

I like that it handles large files and you can send the link off to clients.

Cons

It’s limited to just doing file transfer. They tried building new features which we find completely useless. Dropbox is a far better solution esp once they get their large file transfer feature up and running soon.

Rex
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Art Director

As a graphic designer focused on print media, I often send substantial files to customers and printers. Hightail isis much more accessible and instantaneous than Dropbox or other competitors. Recipients do not have to log in to a web portal to retrieve our images, saving time and frustration.

Pros

Ease of use, reliability, history, affordability

Cons

Clients are sometimes confused about how to offload files.