About HotSchedules

HotSchedules is the hospitality industry’s most widely adopted intelligent scheduling software. Managers can cut their scheduling time down to 45 minutes or less with the intuitive drag and drop interface while maintaining...

4.1
4.2

Browse HotSchedules Reviews

paulina

Reviewed on 25/05/2020

Much better then paper schedule

Very positive experience. Made my schedule less chaotic and gives me options to control my work days and days off much better without having to deal with manger directly lol

Pros

Having a restaurant job means cheotic schedule. It's never the same. Impossible to keep up with and memorize. My last job had hot schedules but my new job doesn't:/ it's a nightmare without it. I miss it so much. It is so convenient to pick up and realise shifts whenever I please. No need to call or txt my co workers. Everything is done thru the app. App is not free but cheap and worth every single penny. I love that I can request days off and my ability. Super convenient. You have to wait for manager to approve or not of your request. I can see who my co workers will be for the shift. I can see all phone numbers and emails of my co workers. Every restaurant should have this app. It's very easy as well so even my 70 year old co worker knows how to use it. Very well done .

Cons

Sometimes I get loged out and have trouble logging back in. It froze few times. Could use more color and some fun options like emoji me lol make work schedule more fun

Darius
  • Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 24/04/2022

The Best App In Its Category

I enjoy using Hotschedules, its very beneficial especially to businesses with with more than a couple employees.

Pros

Hotschedules is simple, I simply log onto the app and view what I need to look at! For me this is all I need. A great majority of apps will make you jump through irritating loops just to see a schedule or request time off Hotschedules doesn't. Please, if you are a manager who does any type of scheduling for a small or big business. I recommend Hotschedules you will not be disappointed!

Cons

Sense I've been using Ho schedules my only complaint has is being signed out randomly. I think that is due too having an apple iPhone. I'm not sure if android or other devices have the same issues.

Rick

Reviewed on 19/01/2018

Takes too long to sync new employees from Aloha.

Making scheduling a less of an headache. Being able to focus on other aspects of managing my restaurant.

Pros

Makes scheduling easier. I've never had an issues when it comes to scheduling with HS. It's a great platform especially when you operate a high volume restaurant. Hotschedules has allowed me to focus on other aspects of managing my restaurant. Scheduling literally takes about 15 minutes every week. Employees past and present have also had positive things to say about hot-schedules. Employees like the fact that you can download the app and be able to see any updates made to the schedule. Go-Hire has also been a great tool for my company. Onboarding new employees is made so much easier now with eliminating paper appplications and documents. Go hire easily let's you conduct background checks on new hires with a click of a button.

Cons

As I stated above in the describe your experience section. The fact that getting a new employee synced in hotschedules after they have been entered into Aloha takes 24 hours is really a big inconvenience. For me personally, this has resulted in delaying the start date for new hires. I have documented about twelve different support requests to the support team to help get a new hire synced faster. I suggest maybe allowing admins to manually add employees to the staff list to help resolve this issues. Operating a restaurant with high turnover, it's crucial that new hire are able to start right away with no delay. This by far the biggest and only con that I can think of with this platform.

Top HotSchedules Alternatives

Callie
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 18/11/2022

Great Software for Restaurant Employees

Pros

I like how this software has all of the features needed for restaurant scheduling. You can view who is working each shift and be notified when the schedule is created. It also makes it easy to request time off without having to talk to somebody.

Cons

I haven't encountered any problems with this software so far.

Courtney

Reviewed on 16/07/2022

Easy

Overall it's a great scheduling platform for all. Very easy to use and it's great for communicating with employees as well as logging disciplinary issues.

Pros

The best thing about this product is the ease of use. It's easy for managers and also for our employees. They give you step by step instructions on how to first create your account and utilization from there moving forward.

Cons

The worst thing about this product is customer service. It can be very hard to get ahold of someone and it takes days if not weeks for service tickets to be received.

Katherine

Reviewed on 21/07/2022

Hotschedules for restaurants

Great software. Not sure about the business model, we eventually paid more for a different software that has better customer service for issues.

Pros

Hotschedules was our go-to scheduling software for years in multiple restaurants, even as many more options came on the market. It was easy to use as a manager/scheduler & also for our staff

Cons

Hotschedules customer service was not quick to address issues but The price kept going up even as fixes weren’t betting put in place.

7shifts

Reasons for Switching to HotSchedules

I didn’t
Erik
  • Industry: Graphic Design

Reviewed on 24/09/2019

Hot schedules review

My overall experience has been very good. I always knew when I was working next and never missed work or was late to a shift because of it!

Pros

What I liked most about hot schedules is always being organized and being able to see my schedule ahead of time, eliminating the need to write it down or call/go in person to see when I was working next.

Cons

What I liked least is that not enough companies are using it! It’s a great platform, so I have nothing negative to say.

Reviewed on 25/01/2018

Good software, they are continually developing and improving. Definitely great for scheduling

Allowed me to spend less time scheduling and communicating with staff. More organization on notes and employee files

Pros

Great for scheduling and staff communication. Makes handling a large staff easy. Logbook is great for communication on all issues with mangers and staff, even starting to use it to track our hr.

Cons

Want to see the inventory system improve as well as better ease of use across multiple venues other than that continue to grow and develop

Grayson

Reviewed on 24/07/2018

The more staff you have, the more you need HotSchedules.

Less time spent managing staffing concerns and more time managing staff.

Pros

It makes getting your schedule out to all of your staff so much easier. I've written schedules and posted on a wall, I've texted screen captures to everyone individually, I've created email groups and submitted to everyone and this is much more simple. You can also track sales and it helps estimate labor against your predicted sales for the day and the week. But the very best part is that the staff can manage all of their shift trades via HotSchedules. No more calling, forgetting to tell the manager, or having neither shift member show and then denying that they knew they were working the shift.

Cons

Honestly, just that it's a program that costs money. If you have a small staff it's not worth the investment potentially. But a staff of greater than 20, particularly in the retail or restaurant world, it's a burden lifted.

Gg

Reviewed on 12/08/2022

Hot kitchen hotter schedules

Pros

I like the fact i dont have to call my job or text my managers for anything. I can switch shifts easiy with coworkers.

Cons

There isnt too much not to like. The security measures can be a bit excessive but id refer it that way then the other option.

Carisa

Reviewed on 03/02/2017

General Manager and partner

It is very difficult to get responses from customer support. It will take a day and up to 3 to hear anything back and that is in several different support groups. Also, the fact that you get shuffled from one type of support to another is quite frustrating. When you start you have 1 person that owns the majority of the experience.She was great! But once you get passed on to customer support it feels like you are lost.

I also have an issue with the scheduling functionality. It is impossible to view an entire day of a schedule either in the schedule or the template. There used to be a button at the top of the schedule that allowed you to see the entire day, who was scheduled in each station, all at a glance. The new functionality makes it incredibly difficult to manage the level of staff on a shift.

Pros

The logbook feature, the advanced floor maps (which are an additional cost..), and the messaging feature.

Cons

Again the scheduling software is not very user friendly. Clearly there were some adjustments made that helped with writing a schedule, but not being able to view it as easily is frustrating.

Response from HotSchedules

Hey Carisa!

Thank you for the feedback. We apologize for the frustration you've been experiencing with our product and customer support services. Here is an article to an overview of the new scheduler that might be helpful.

Please reach out if you are continuing to experience difficulty with the software.

Replied 09/02/2017
Garret

Reviewed on 13/09/2018

Good Scheduler

Overall its very good. I don't have much issue with it, but the UI could be definitely be better.

Pros

Hotschedules won our business by having the best Aloha POS integration of all the companies we spoke with. Employees that are added to our system are automatically synced with Hotschedules so you can quickly begin adding them to the schedule. The integration also allows us to restrict employees from clocking in too early or late with saves labor and allows you to quickly identify the less punctual employees. Finally, the integration also pulls historical sales data from our POS and uses it to establish a good sales forecast that you can use to budget your labor accurately.

Cons

The app and website are just not as intuitive and streamline as I would like. Previously we had used PeopleMatter schedule, which had a much less cluttered and more user friendly interface. Hotschedules also starts to think it knows how to schedule better than the manager and will start adding "House Shifts" to your schedule that employees can pick up, which frustrates me when I really don't need that shift covered.

Jessica

Reviewed on 09/08/2019

Hotschedules Is Perfect For The Hospitality Industry

This has helped manage overtime before it even happens. While scheduling employees, the software calculates the hours and gives you a warning for any person that is going into or approaching overtime. This has saved us money and helped better allocate time. Hotschedules is a game changer for the hospitality industry.

Pros

This software is extremely user friendly. I love that my staff is able to put all of their availability changes, requests for time off and switch shifts through the software. It makes it extremely easy to create the schedule each week. Tracking of overtime is a huge help as a manager as well. This is a must have tool for anyone in the hospitality industry. It will save your scheduling sanity!

Cons

The only downside to this software is the cost for the app. While it is minimal and you can still log in for free through any web browser, a free app would be ideal for the hourly employees. I honestly have no other bad things to say about this software. I highly recommend it!

Jess

Reviewed on 29/09/2020

Extremely helpful!

I would highly recommend. It is easy to set up and is user friendly for all ages. Since it helps with scheduling, dropping shifts and picking up shifts, our Managers are able to focus more of their time on other aspects of the business.

Pros

The ability to save a template for a weekly schedule. At our job we put a schedule out on a weekly basis and we don't have to start from scratch every week. It used to take use 5 hours to do the schedule and now it takes us 1 hour. A huge lifesaver!

Cons

The look of the software feels a tad outdate. Though that is not a huge deal, it tends to have unnecessary pop-ups or "menu" buttons. However, not enough of a con to ever have me consider using a different product.

Francis

Reviewed on 31/01/2017

Ocean Blue Review

We use a few of your products, HotShedules, LogBook, Inventory. All of them make our job easier and more affective. There is a lot of room to grow with the Inventory product. Hopefully we will see improvements in the future. Still, very pleased with all the products.

Pros

IOS Compatibilty, cloud based.

Cons

Reporting can be cumbersome at times. Not all functions work well on Safari Browser.

Response from HotSchedules

Francis,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we really appreciate it! We value any and all feedback for our products to influence updates in the future. We have a community request forum where you can voice your ideas and insights directly to a Customer Care specialist. Thanks again!

Replied 16/02/2017
justine

Reviewed on 31/01/2017

everything in one place

i like that i can easily access the schedules and requests off in one place. I am not a fan that they took away the option to easily see what date someone made the request though. that was a feature i used often.

Pros

easy to use, keeps your organized, accessible from anywhere

Cons

the new scheduler takes longer to enter, and they took away the option to hover over a request off and see the reason and date requested. please bring back!

Response from HotSchedules

Justine,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review, we really appreciate it! We value any and all feedback to influence the updates we make to our product in the future. We have a community request forum where you can voice your thoughts to our Customer Support team!

Replied 16/02/2017
Alexa

Reviewed on 15/05/2018

HotSchedules is a great way to keep track of your work week!

I used HotSchedules for two years while serving and loved the idea where you can swap, add and release shifts if desired.

Pros

I like that you can see your schedule for the week laid out in one spreadsheet. I also like that it gives you the option to do group messages with all of your coworkers and swap shifts if needed. This software offers a lot for your work scheduling and helps you stay organized and be flexible when you need to be.

Cons

I do not like that you have to pay for the app. I also do not like how hard it is to find someone's contact on the app and then be able to copy something like an email address or phone number. I wish HotSchedules also had a better notifications system in place.

Carrie

Reviewed on 06/06/2019

HotSchedules

I would recommend Hot Schedules to any employer that has a lot of employees they are writing schedules for.

Pros

I liked how much easier it made my job. No longer was I receiving phones calls from employees wanting to switch shifts and then having the other employee call and verify that they were picking up the shift. The request was made online and all I had to do was approve. It also helped greatly with accountability since it recorded who was working what shift and when.

Cons

It wasn't an easy program to learn how to use. I struggled with learning all of its functionalities which made schedule writing very stressful until I figured it out.

Reviewed on 25/07/2018

Hot Schedules is easy to use and they have great customer support.

The opportunity to review a company that I use everyday. This is a more professional way of reviewing a company to help them to know what they are doing right and to possibly fix what they are doing wrong.

Pros

Ease of scheduling . We use the messaging every night to update all on how the day went. If there are any questions their customer support is easy to get a hold of and the problem has been fixed before hanging up. We like employees hour's tracking to keep everyone at or below 40 hours a week.

Cons

I don't like having to sign in everytime I want to use it. We would like to connect this to our POS system to have other tracking capabilities but there are additional fees for that.

• Industry: Primary/Secondary Education

Reviewed on 21/03/2019

HotSchedules Review

It was good experience. I was able to see when I was working and who was going to work with me. I was able to see the messages that the manager put out. I was able to respond the messages, if need be.

Pros

I had to have this software when I worked at a restaurant. It was pretty simple and easy to use. Once the manager had posted the schedule, you could see who was working and what shift it was. If there was an open shift, you could grab it and see if it would get approved. You could also switch shifts with someone, if the managers approved it. Message came in and were easy to read.

Cons

I did not really have any issues with this software. I had to have it and it worked fine with my phone. I was a bit mad that I had to pay for it, but I understood why.

Kristian

Reviewed on 06/04/2021

One of our most-utilized softwares by far!

Monitoring overtime, communication with staff, easily viewing requests, pay rates, daily line ups and staff logs are just a few day to day features that we utilize. HotSchedules is a must!

Pros

Online scheduling is a must for an operation of our size. The HotSchedules messaging makes communicating clearly to large groups of employees consistent. The reporting and data is a must. We use HotSchedules multiple times a day.

Cons

Some of the updates/when the software times out can get frustrating but I understand that they are necessary to make improvements.

• Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 23/04/2019

Valuable Product

I have worked with HotSchedules in 3 different restaurants. Each experience a little different. As a team member it was amazing, being able to see my schedule, trade shifts and message other team members.. all from my phone without any communication to my manager! As a manager of a multi-unit restaurant, scheduling was a breeze, again no need to speak to team members about shifts. They were easily approved via my own phone WHEREEVER! As a Beverage Manager at a casino with 24 hours-- the logbook and adjusting the system to work within union guidelines was AMAZING! I love hotschedules, once my restaurant expands I plan to use it again!

Pros

Ease of use, accessibility -- the facebook of scheduling!

Cons

Honestly, would love to see them work on the ease of the scheduler. I feel like that whole page could be done differently. It just seems that something could be done to streamline it. The shortcuts are nice but not easily remembered. Additionally, I would love if there was a cost effective version for small independently owned restaurants.

Heather

Reviewed on 07/03/2020

User Friendliness

The manager cant change the schedual, not tell you then say its always been this way. Love that!!

Pros

Its super easy to get new schedules and the managers know we have seen them. Also we can trade, drop and pick up shifts as needed. Overtime is already tracked so accepting a new shift is fine as long as the dining room is covered. I like that I can see my paycheck too great way to budget.

Cons

The app is 2.99 ok not a lot but without tje team app why should staff pay for an app the company is already paying for?

Ashley

Reviewed on 07/10/2020

Overall Fine

Overall, I would probably use again. I imagine after they finish all of the big updates, it will run a little more smoothly.

Pros

This product made holding the staff accountable for knowing not only their schedules, but also any messages that needed to be mass sent out.

Cons

This software had frequent updates that caused glitches often. They also changed key features often, which made weekly logins a surprise.

Kelsey

Reviewed on 24/01/2018

I used HotSchedules for a serving job and it was easy to access and convenient.

Pros

The accessibility was it is biggest pro. Being able to login to this application from anywhere and pickup or release shifts was great. I also loved that once a schedule was released, I would get a text notification of my upcoming shifts and the app also showed when my alcohol certification would expire.

Cons

There were no cons to this app. I really think this app is very beneficial to have. The only thing that I would change is for the app to document the clock in and out times.