Brightspace Reviews

About Brightspace

D2L, the leading learning experience platform for companies and education, we help organizations around the world create experience-rich learning programs and drive business outcomes through learning. D2L has been delivering...

3.9
4.1
4.1

Browse Brightspace Reviews

Melissa
Melissa

Reviewed on 05/04/2019

Best used for online courses

I have not had any problems using Brightspace or D2L. I think the user interface is easy to learn and it is easy to find where I need to be to make assignments, grade submissions, and more. The system allows you to work as the administrator/faculty/teacher/instructor/ but also allows you to switch to the student view, which enables you to see what your students will see. I like that feature! It is extremely easy to upload files and images and adding hyperlinks is also a breeze, allowing you to choose the new window to open within the course or on a separate page. Even when they update the software, I find it very easy to learn the new applications. I have used a few other systems in the past and I really do like Brightspace and D2L over the others.

Pros

I found this software very easy to use and pretty intuitive. It is fresh looking on the screen and I've not had any issues with the system not working as it should.

Cons

There are a few extra clicks that have to take place in some parts of the software to get back to where you want to be. That is somewhat annoying, but a minor issue.

Amber

Reviewed on 01/11/2021

D2L LMS Review

My overall experience with D2L is a great experience. I enjoy using this product as a staff, as well as a student. There are also many tutorial videos out there to search through when having an issue.

Pros

What I like most about this product is the ease of navigating each feature of the product. There are quite a few features, all of them being outstanding and easy to use.

Cons

There seem to be quite a few bugs for us with this product. However, the product has been integrated going on two years, so there is bound to be some issues going forward.

CANVAS

Reasons for Choosing Brightspace

The other LMS was going away, and we had to look for a new product, also one that was cheaper.

Blackboard Learn

Reasons for Switching to Brightspace

Brightspace was cheaper than others, with a much better quality.
Regina

Reviewed on 13/10/2020

Nice interface but not intuitive or easy to use

Overall, my experience with Brightspace is negative. It looks deceivingly simple to use because of their modern look and Bright color scheme that is often associated with newer websites with easy functionality, but menus are often hard to find and it is difficult to do basic tasks like scoring quizzes.

Pros

I like the ability for there to be an online classroom and I like that it records the lectures. I like how the online classroom allows for screensharing and chatting also. I also like the look of the software; it doesn't look dated.

Cons

At this point, I have used several types of software like Brightspace as I have been in higher education for almost 7 years now as an undergraduate student and now, a graduate student. I think out of all those other software that I have used, Brightspace is the least intuitive to navigate. On the outset, I think the website looks clean and modern and it feels like a website that would be easy to navigate. But when you actually do start navigating the website, you find out how hard it is to find simple commands. For example, to simply program and then score a quiz online is much harder than it needs to be. Menus for basic things like how to see the students' grades were hard to find and I had to ultimately turn to google to figure out how to grade the quiz. I am new to this software, so maybe it just takes some getting used to, but so far, as a new user, I am finding that Brightspace is not intuitive or easy to navigate.

Top Brightspace Alternatives

Teddy

Reviewed on 27/05/2023

Alright There are better options

My experience with Brightspace has been somewhat positive although I would go researching more alternatives

Pros

One of the features I like most about Brightspace is the progress tracking. If a student is behind on an assignment or more than it highlights on their course.

Cons

At the time I was introduced to Brightspace, the previous learning environment stopped operations resulting in everyone having to adjust to Brightspace. One of the features I like the least about bright space is not being able to access Brightspace on mobile. It is difficult to view it on mobile and other classroom tools are able to view it on mobile

Reviewed on 05/11/2023

A Good LMS Option

The school made the right choice in switching to Brightspace. It's quick and easy to understand

Pros

It has many of the same features of other LMS options, such as Blackboard and Angel. It has many advantages over a product such as Moodle. It's easy to understand and the cleanest user interface of all major college LMSs

Cons

It needs a video class option, similar to Blackboard UltraCollaborate

Eugenio
  • Used for Free Trial

Reviewed on 30/11/2020

University point of view

It is a very complete and complex platform. Some universities with the appropiate IT department could be able to use it but if they have that department they will create their own platform.

Pros

The support, virtual events and advertising.

Cons

The IT support, video tutorials about features teacher or students use everyday. Features other platforms have very easy to implement.

CYPHER Learning

Reasons for Choosing Brightspace

Because Blackboard was getting old, the licence is very expensive and no support.

Reasons for Switching to Brightspace

I did not choose Brightspace because it has less features than NEOLMS and the price is a lot higher.

Reviewed on 22/01/2019

Brightspace was easy to learn as a student!

It allows for great communication between students and teachers and overall was simple to understand from both perspectives!

Pros

I enjoyed the formatting and how easy to use brightspace was compared to the previous software my university used. It made tracking grades and all of the content my teacher posted so much easier to follow. It also shows how your grades were compared to other students and allows you to track your own performance.

When I was a TA, it was also really easy to post news items, enter grades and insert comments on students' papers.

Easy to understand for all users!

Cons

It can be difficult to operate on mobile devices - there are less buttons to navigate the pages but it's not impossible to use.

Maria Victoria
  • Industry: Hospitality

Reviewed on 24/01/2024

Brightspace user (Bigsky)

I love using Brightspace (Bigsky). It is easy to learn, and I even volunteer to assist other faculty members.
As a retired faculty member, I would look for the features I enjoyed with Brightspace when given the opportunity to use other LMS.

Pros

It has gamification, and once the course has been set up, everything is like clockwork.

Cons

Just the setting up at the start of every semester, BUT, it is worth the time.

Ho'omana Nathan
Ho'omana Nathan
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 18/09/2019

Brightspace works well enough, but doesn't have great documentation

I wish there was a little more documentation available. Brightspace is incredibly powerful, but the most powerful tools are pretty opaque to use and quite a few of them are hidden pretty deep in the settings.

Pros

Brightspace offers a great LMS with lots of options for customization. You can completely run an online or in-person class with ease using Brightspace. Everything from assignments to discussions to grading to groupwork is integrated.

Cons

Brightspace isn't especially user-friendly and there's a pretty steep learning curve. Also, there aren't a lot of good tools for collaborative work, and I typically rely on Google Drive for when I want to have students collaborate.

Joanne
Joanne

Reviewed on 11/04/2019

BrightSpace

Pros

A helpful platform for managing online courses. I especially like the ability for professors to create a checklist for each module.

Cons

Some of the email messaging features are a little clunky.

Lilian
  • Industry: Staffing & Recruiting

Reviewed on 06/03/2019

Robust and diverse LMS for best results

I think this app is equally useful for both teachers and students. It is perfect for sharing files between users, it can keep people organized, and it also can provide with a high level of communication, as it has features that are not available in other platforms.

Pros

This app has everything students can use to avoid failing deadlines. It helps students to keep all critical data in one place, so it makes them more organized and aware of the education process. In Brightspace you can drag and drop all kind of files, as well as rearrange them, so new content can be easily seen. For teachers, it is also easy to create different types of tests or quizzes without spending much time or many resources. Brightspace is a well-known LMS and is used across our college as the learning management platform. It is used to distribute the different type of information, assignments tests, which makes the education process for both students and teachers more convenient.

Cons

This app lacks an intuitive interface. It is difficult to get used it, and it requires time to understand how to activate one feature or another. You need time to customize your interface; otherwise, it will be cluttered and even more complicated to use. There is an option to create discussions, but it is hard to organize them. It also would be nice to have a video chat option so that some lectures can be given online. Tech support can be improved, as it is not helpful and it usually blames users instead of fixing the problem.

Debbie

Reviewed on 10/05/2021

an unnecessarily complicated system

stressful

Pros

adding modules, changing the course image

Cons

The gradebook is a nightmare! Every semester its a nightmare. Something that should be so intuitive is so complicated on Brightspace. When I create an assignment it doesn't just go into the gradebook--I have to "link it". But then when brightspace duplicates a column in the gradebook I cannot just "delete" a column in the gradebook! You cannot do anything in the gradebook simply! I also cannot trust the gradebook's math because it will count somethings and not others! One semester it duplicated a whole assignment (but I only had ONE dropbox for it?!?!) and I could not get rid of it---all students ended up with duplicate grade for it. I loved the original D2L--so easy to use! This brightspace? a disaster....

Pam

Reviewed on 08/02/2022

Its okay

We had to move platforms and this seemed a good choice. Not as changeable as I though it would be and to have them integrate anything new you have to submit and get on a "list" and get votes with the highest votes getting the work. Ridiculous. Hire more people. Service everyone. That's what companies do no?

Pros

The interface looks nice, and it's easy to sort student. The discussion board threading works well, and the left hand menu bar is easy to navigate. I appreciate that there are multiple ways to arrive at different areas in the course, and the seminar integration is really easy and nice.

Cons

I wish the seminar would let me review the actual comments as I grade, the integration of a competency based rubric is clunky, when you have a CLA as well as something else for an assignment one overwrites the other in a very maddening way taking multiple steps to finish up a grade. The announcements section is now difficult for students to read, but that could just be our set up as well.

Reka

Reviewed on 13/02/2023

Great Online Learning Resource

Good, highly recommend for any online learner.

Pros

I love how user friendly this software is. As a daily user, I can easily navigate the different portals on this software and find all my class's resources quickly. It is very organized, and has great assessible features such as clear text, and high contrasting colours. Grades are easily accessible, and there offer all features necessary to succeed in your course, eg. discussion boards, class list, attendance, course content etc.

Cons

The notifications are quite overwhelming, every time any professor makes any adjustment to their course you get a notification that piles up throughout the day. Moreover, the notifications for upcoming assignments are sometimes inconsistent, as assignments not done through the D2L will not show up at all, causing confusion for upcoming work to be done for the student.

• Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 20/01/2018

BrightSpace is amazing!

My students (middle and high school) are able to become proficient in the navigation of the system in just a few days with minimal questions and challenges.

Pros

BrightSpace includes all of the typical features of any LMS. However, D2L has improved the platform over time and has made the system more intuitive and user friendly. I also use CourseDen (the higher ed version of BrightSpace) for my college courses and the features are essentially the same with a few differences. However, the two platforms are enough alike that, once you know one system, learning to use the other one is a cinch. The features allow for very specific customization of assessments, discussions, and other features. I have built my own courses within the LMS, so I am familiar with a majority of the features and capabilities of the LMS.

Reviewed on 27/09/2021

A Powerful, Though Complicated, Online Teaching Platform

Brightspace has a wealth of features I’ve found helpful when using it in my Pre-K through 5th grade classrooms, but I can’t help but feel that this is more focused for older students. The interface can be overwhelming for young students, and creating and accessing tools such as quizzes and assignments can have a steep learning curve. When compared to Google Classroom, Brightspace has more capabilities, but can take more effort to set up and use properly. In elementary schools, I don’t know if Brightspace outweighed Classroom, but I can see middle and high schools getting much more out of it!

Pros

Brightspace has tons of features and capabilities that teachers and students can use in learning! Through assignments with release conditions, video and audio recording for instructions and responses, homepage customization, and much more. There are few things that you are limited to with Brightspace.

Cons

Though there are many features in Brightspace, they can often be tedious and complicated to create and use. For example, creating tests/quizzes in brightspace is a very important tool for teachers to give formative assessments. The creation tool works, but takes many more steps and work when compared to other quiz creation tools, such as Google Forms. This applies to almost all features on Brightspace. When using this with younger students - Pre-K through 5th grade - that can take a toll on time and learning.

Elyzabeth
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 24/09/2019

I use Brightspace every single day!

My experience with Brightspace has only been within the last two years, but the experience has been a rich and pleasant one. I am a Graduate student who spends hours, and hours, on Brightspace every single day. The organization of the site is exceptional. The navigation is easy for anyone to understand. It's made school all the easier simply because of the ease that comes with the use of Brightspace. It's a great source, and I would recommend it to everyone!

Pros

The simplicity of navigation is amazing. I have to navigate through multiple courses within Brightspace, and it's very well organized and categorized. Which makes school all the easier. There is never any confusion regarding what I am trying to find, and how to find it.

Cons

The only negative thing I can say about Brightspace is the inability to access previous courses and work submitted within the courses. With that being said, I believe that is a school-based setting, and not a fault of Brightspace.

Mary

Reviewed on 28/08/2018

Decent learning platform.

Pros

I took most of my master's level courses using this platform. After learning to navigate it, I became very familiar with it, and it was a decent platform for the professors to present material on. I liked how it would show notifications for discussion posts (particularly when someone would reply to something you had written). Also, it would alert you when a professor had submitted a grade for an assignment. These are great features that other learning platforms do not have, and I most definitely miss them when using those platforms.

Cons

It was not a very clean way to present material. It was a little cumbersome at times, took a lot of "getting used to," and was missing some features that would have been helpful that I had experienced on other platforms.

Jeff

Reviewed on 05/01/2018

The support has been great. The tool itself is on par with others - not amazing but not bad...

If the organization is centralized, D2L seems to be the best choice for an LMS that I know of (I've been working in this space a long time!).

Pros

Our school needed a lot of flexibility and customization, as well as integration capability. They have a rich API layer that allowed us to create an "uber" system - a next-gen learning system that all appeared to be a single entity even though it was made up of multiple platforms.

Cons

The costs for flexibility and data are problematic - it's an issue for all LMS companies but it would be great to see more progressive thinking around our school's data.

Reviewed on 08/04/2019

D2l as a Student

Overall I do like the platform because it is user-friendly

Pros

-My school uses a lot of the D2L platform, from learning experience online to binder.
-It is really easy to use and very user-friendly.
-I love the images that were used in the online classroom platform for D2L
-The chat-like function in the classroom is also very useful especially

Cons

-the locker room is a little bit outdated, I think they should add a function where students are able to type document and edit document while in the locker room in the class platform.
-In the D2L binder where PDFs document can be stored for studying purposes, I like this function but I wish that it would make studying ease by adding note-taking opportunity.

Nancy
1.5
1.5

Reviewed on 18/03/2015

Review of D2L

Pros

It has improved some things, like being able to cut and paste into discussions.

Cons

1. The layout is not clear to students. Many have problems locating things in the Content because they don't understand the structure.

2.When I log in as a student and go to discussions, even when I have "grid view" and "threaded" selected, I don't really see a thread structure, just a list of messages. Since I teach literature, discussion is essential to the course, but this makes it almost impossible to use really well.

3. When I'm logged in as myself and switch to "student" view, I don't see what the students see. I have to log out and log in as a different user to see that.

4.The grading and attendance features are not flexible and don't allow me to keep the kinds of records I need.

5. The email is much too limited.

6. When I add a new topic to a module, I can't reorder the list of topics, but have to move the new one up one topic at a time. This takes a very long time.

Peter

Reviewed on 27/11/2018

Feature rich, but not intuitive, LMS

Pros

The customer support team is excellent, providing very helpful advice and bug fixes almost at a whim! Whenever we've had a problem, Brightspace were they almost instantly to lend a hand.
There are a huge list of features on offer, allowing for a wide variety of lessons and exercises be taught.
The session in-activity is incredibly useful, we use this in shared-classrooms where its not guaranteed that the user will log-out when finished.

Cons

Not very easy to use, buttons and tools seem to be hidden away either within a menu or a seemingly random location.
Communicating with attendees via Brightspace is a pain, there isn't an easy way to send out bulk emails to students. There is some automated process here, but just sending out a basic text email to all students on a course would be very useful.

Neal

Reviewed on 08/02/2018

Easy to use content and record keeping software for educational institutions.

Use it for posting assignments, content resources and grades for students in a Mathematics class. Sometimes even use it for grading.

Pros

The everything in one place aspect of it. This means fewer different logins and software platforms to keep up with, which means more focus on things that matter.

Cons

Occasionally there is maintenance that prevents logins, but it is usually announced in plenty of time to make arrangements for alternatives. And they do try to make it happen during off-peak hours.

Audra
Audra

Reviewed on 27/12/2018

The BEST resource for school

Pros

This resource carefully organizes all your school material. It allows for each class to have a separate section. It is like a virtual binder. Teachers can upload quizes, tests, and any additional material. Such a great resource for any age student. I have been using it for over 6 years now.

Cons

It sometimes glitches which makes it difficult to submit assignments, look up something, but that will happen with any software.

Reviewed on 20/12/2022

So far, so good! Wonderful new LMS for my courses

Using BrightSpace to connect with my students and manage my courses has been wonderful! Clicks needed to accomplish tasks are very few (in contrast to our previous LMS) and publisher content for my courses integrates easily. Setting up tests and other assessments is a breeze!

Pros

The user interface is logical and intuitive. Support is wonderful.

Cons

So far, I haven't found anything I don't like! Hard to believe, but true. My institution has just moved to BrightSpace and I love it. Integration with my publishers appears seemless and course management is a breeze.