Expensify Reviews

About Expensify

Expensify works as a cloud-based business accounting system that is designed to manage expenses and transactions using real-time data processing. The platform allows businesses to maintain different summaries of various accounts...

4.2

Browse Expensify Reviews

1,086 of 1,086 reviews
Sanop Marihot
Sanop Marihot

Reviewed on 21/05/2021

Very easy to use and provides an interesting experience

We choose paid software so that all our financial activities are encrypted and not just anyone can open them. Apart from this interesting expensify software, our company data is stored safely and can only be used by professionals in our company.

Pros

During using this software, I learned more and more about how easy it is to manage company finances. Just by taking a photo, all data will be processed automatically. At first, I was very skeptical about buying it, but after I tried being recommended by my friend, I finally decided to buy it. Since then my thinking has changed 180 degrees.

Cons

The form of reports varies from country to country. Likewise, reporting standards in Indonesia are not the same as those often used in the US. I see the results of the reports made by Expensify are less professional. But no problem, this can be done manually by our team. Besides, it's free.

Cody
  • Industry: Entertainment

Reviewed on 25/05/2022

Simple to Deploy, Easy to Maintain

From the accounting team to the newly hired sales exec, feedback from employees has been very positive with Expensify. They can use the mobile app as they go, or other import methods to make their expense reports quick and easy. Everything is directly connected to NetSuite, our ERP, and flows smoothly to the books without any extra steps. Approval routing is very simple and reminders get sent to keep things moving along.

Pros

Expensify is a very streamlined tool and does not get bogged down in high degrees of complexity which may be unnecessary. I have found all types of users at my company, from sales execs to marketing coordinators, understand how to use Expensify almost immediately. We provide a 1-pager for best practices to employees and that, in nearly all cases, is enough to get them using the tool without issue.

Cons

The corporate card integrations could use a bit of added support when it comes to receipt imports, and occasionally we have had the direct feed from our banking institution break. I think this is likely because we do not use one of the major banks for our corporate credit card though, so the issue may not be on the Expensify side.

Nexonia Expenses and Zoho Expense

Reasons for Switching to Expensify

Expensify seemed much easier to implement, was cheaper, and I had witnessed it working smoothly at other companies in the past. In extremely large company environments it may be possible that Expensify could lack some of the deeper customizations of competing tools, but for the vast majority of businesses this ticks all boxes while remaining highly user-friendly.

Reviewed on 31/01/2018

Expensify overcharges for their "Corporate" platform and becomes useless once your bank feed...

Was ok and saved time, before it broke.

Pros

Ease of launch, mobile app works decently well. Onboarding support was decent, but sadly short-lived. They still offer monthly pricing. If you're tempted to try their Corporate or higher plan, DO NOT sign on to their annual pricing plan, see below for why.

Cons

Google "expensify known issues". Review the list of the corporate cards that they don't support. Be aware that they are not disclosing the many other corporate cards that their platform doesn't support.
If you're lucky enough to use one of the corporate cards that they are currently supporting, be aware that their connection to your bank feed can break at any time. Generally, this will happen after your promotional period has ended and after your onboarding support contact has moved on.
Once the bank feed breaks you're left with only chat support, which will take an average of 12 hours or more to respond to you.
When chat support responds, it's clear that they are pasting from support scripts that have no relevance to your situation. Most responses will assume you're on a Team plan, and initially offer troubleshooting steps aimed at those clients. You'll have to explain that you're a Corporate client.
Once you explain this, you'll wait another 12 hours for a response from someone who hasn't read the prior communication chain and you'll have to explain yourself again. this sort of back-and-forth goes on for some time.
Eventually you'll get them to admit that the only work-around for a broken corporate card bank feed is a manual CSV import through each individual's account.
Don't expect any meaningful response or acknowledgement if you bother to question the fees you're paying for broken corporate access. They will not listen and will not offer any discount or refund.

Response from Expensify

Hi there, thank you for leaving your feedback! I apologize for the issues you've run into but definitely want to clarify a few things:

Re: corporate card connections. Bank connections may break for any variety of reasons, including (but is not limited to) bank maintenance, connection issues, changes in usernames/passwords, and more. Unfortunately most of these are out of our hands, but we do keep an updated list of known issues here: https://docs.expensify.com/setup-for-submitters/advanced-configuration-for-submitters/bank-import-faqs-and-known-issues.

Re help responses. We definitely don't want to have you waiting 12 hours for a response and it doesn't help that there are a lot more help requests coming in at the end/beginning of a month around billing time. I've let the team know of your concerns and will continue to improve on our response times, especially during busy periods.

Thanks for bringing these issues to our attention!

Replied 31/01/2018

Top Expensify Alternatives

• Industry: Computer Games
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Reviewed on 23/03/2024

Perfect Tool to track expenses

Expensify is the right tool if you want a simple yet effective tool to keep a trace of your expenses and receipts. It's very useful for professional and personal use.

Pros

I've been using Expensify for many years now to keep track of my monthly expenses and get a full and proper report for our accountant. Expensify offers few but essential options, even with the free version. You upload receipts from your cellphone, get them scanned and their information automatically filled within Expensify. The reports are clear and complete. Overall, it does exactly what you would expect from such a tool.

Cons

Some options are "hidden" and not easy to find in the first place, making the tool acting strangely. For example, last year, at some point, without doing anything on my part, my reports were automatically closed and sent to my manager before they were completed. I had to go and change the settings in a part of the options I've never used/seen before. After that, all was good though.

Nate
  • Industry: Legal Services

Reviewed on 14/08/2019

Expensify Expense Tracking

I originally used this software because it was the most straight forward "fool proof" software that allowed me to manage and track several employees travel expenses and business mileage and keeping it as simple as possible for the employees. By implementing this software into our expense tracking, our employee's no longer have to worry about paperwork and keeping track of physical receipts so long as they take a picture of it in Expensify.

Pros

The feature that won me over is the softwares ability to extract the necessary relevant information from a picture of the receipt and its reliability to accurately create an expense entry automatically. The other feature that really stands out is the dedicated email address you have to send receipts to the app. This feature is great because of rules i have established in outlook so that any "receipts" from certain companies automatically gets forwarded to my Expensify account.

Cons

Occasionally, when I was trying to submit a few large reports the app would freeze up on me. Otherwise I cannot think of any negative experiences I have had with Expensify.

Zoho Expense

Reasons for Choosing Expensify

pricing, ease of use, ability to customize to your specific needs.

Reasons for Switching to Expensify

Reliability and accuracy. pricing, ease of use, ability to customize to your specific needs.
Mohamed Salah
  • Industry: Management Consulting

Reviewed on 01/02/2023

A Comprehensive Review of Expensify - An Essential Tool for Businesses

Expensify has been a great tool for our business and has helped us to quickly and easily manage our expenses. The user interface is intuitive and the reporting features are great. However, we have had some challenges with customer support and the cost can be quite high for larger businesses.

Pros

Expensify is an incredibly easy to use, user-friendly expense tracking and management system. It has an intuitive interface and allows us to quickly and easily track and manage our expenses. The reporting feature is also great and makes it easy to generate reports for our clients and other stakeholders. Overall, it has been an invaluable tool for our business and I would highly recommend it!

Cons

While Expensify does have some excellent features, the customer support can be quite slow and unhelpful at times. Additionally, it can be quite expensive for larger businesses with many users.

Laura
  • Industry: Investment Management

Reviewed on 18/08/2020

Smoothest expense reporting software ever

Overall, everything has been good with Expensify down to the coding for my purposes. Users like that it literally creates a report they get paid for almost immediately without them having to nag accounting. It's a win win for everyone and well worth the cost per user.

Pros

The ease of use for our employees is great and very intuitive. I can make changes on the fly to reports if another user doesn't have it quite right for accounting purposes. It categorizes everything including mileage right where it should be.

Cons

Integration with our accounting software would probably be very easy if I could get higher ups to agree (They worry it might not flow correctly). I do have to take some manual steps to make that happen - otherwise there is nothing I want to add to the Con List.

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Expensify

We did not have the credit card usage that Concurent was well known for. The Excel version of reporting still wasted a lot of man hours to handle. Expensify was the best of all three choices hands down. Not looking back!

Reviewed on 05/05/2020

Good Product - Truly Awful Onboarding and Support

While the product is good if you don't have any complications, the onboarding and support are probably the worst I have ever experienced. After a brief training session, there is no longer any phone call support allowed (only email and chat and the delays could be many hours and often days).

More recently with the COVID-19 situation, their usage has plummeted so they recently announced a doubling of pricing (100% increase) to all users if they don't switch to using their credit card which for many companies (including ourselves and including reasons like the cc syncing problem) will not work. The message about the price increase was hidden in a very very long email from the CEO titled something about support improvements.

Pros

It is easy for the end user to use, particularly given the mobile app. It has a lot of good controls and notifications for potential user errors or abuses.

Cons

The credit card sync features often don't work or are significantly delayed (days, weeks if at all) which causes unintended reimbursements for non reimbursable expenses and messed up accounting.

Reasons for Switching to Expensify

It seemed to have the controls and ease of use that we needed and it charged per active user per month rather than a per expense report submitted which fit our needs well.

Reviewed on 10/12/2020

Absolutely a joy to use

Expensify makes it easy for employees to submit timely reimbursements, whether from their phones or the browser. On the other side, Expensify also makes it very easy for the expense administrator to approve reports.

Pros

The UI is so snappy and intuitive to use. Uploading receipts, finding what category to use, finding out if your expense is over budget--the UI tells you all exactly where you expect it.

Cons

This isn't inherent to the product itself, but I found customer support difficult to deal with. When I ran into a bug where the reports I had previously submitted disappeared, I had to wait a few days before they got back to me via email and their first question was basically "are you sure you had submitted them before?"

Jeff
Jeff
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 19/10/2019

Awesome software!

Overall, it has been very pleasant. The staff reply to email questions quickly and work hard when there are errors.

Pros

As an approver of expenses, it is easy to reject wrongly submitted lines and tell the staff why. It is easy to approve and reimburse! They work hard to keep all major credit cards connected.

Cons

While it would be nice, it is hard to connect to every possible credit card and bank. My personal bank credit card does not connect for auto import.

Reasons for Switching to Expensify

Less expensive and was exactly what we needed as a small/medium business.
Reid
  • Industry: Oil & Energy

Reviewed on 03/10/2022

Go-to Expense Reconcilliation for wide spread and remote working mid-sided companies

Overall the software is pretty good, and comparable to many direct from Banking institution programs, with the added funtionality of being able to claim reembursement for out of pocket purchases. Outside of the software itself, I would caution that the company has used used the software and associated email communications as a platform expressing their social and political views which is rather unbefitting and could be off-putting to parties who may not prescribe to the same views.

Pros

Software features multiple ways of uploading receipts and Coding spends for expenses. Application AI is very good at autmatically assigning cost codes and verifying receipts to actual spend backups. Software also allows for modification of these auto-entries in case of recoding requirements and the mobile app is very easy to use. Attachemnts are drag and drop on the Browser portal, and mobile device attachement is integrated in to OS gallery lookups. they have a good system for flagging un-filled required fields wbefore allowing the spend reports to be transmitted for approval by the designated approver.

Cons

Bank feed syncing can be delayed and charges do not appear for a few days; especially with Canadian banking services even with Tier 2 banks like HSBC. Some sysnicn issues arise between the mobile app and the browser portal if the app is left open on the mobile device - the system lags out and does not save some of the information which then requires re-entry. Fortunately this is flagged as part of how the software works so is not missed if lost, but still requires to be re-entered.

Liza
  • Industry: Renewables & Environment
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees

Reviewed on 01/06/2022

An innovative approach to uploading expense receipts of all kinds, preparing and reviewing...

We upload all expense receipts to their form by Expensify, so none of them are lost and administrators can review them and issue payment orders instantly and within specified periods. I enjoy that Expensify helps us reduce expenses and stay within budget.

Pros

I enjoy Expensify's easy-to-use design and clear tools. I enjoy that I can easily upload receipts and invoices via the mobile app. Expensify automates data dumping and saves the original document. Expensify's features make submitting and reviewing expenses easy, and Expensify cards let me track and approve employee expenses promptly. I love that the website makes it easy to locate spending categories, amend them, remit expenses, and look for abnormalities. Expensify isolates and categorizes spending calculates taxes and fees separately, and puts it all into one report, making audits and approvals quick. The notification system tells you of revisions to your submitted reports or accounting department inquiries, allowing you to respond directly and avoid delays in receiving payments.

Cons

Expensify is straightforward to use at all levels, although downloading receipts through a phone app, especially handwritten ones, can be slow and error-prone. Checking all entries before delivering reports is necessary to avoid making mistakes that delay approvals and cash.

Reviewed on 21/12/2017

Great in theory, from a bookkeeping POV

Pros

When working properly, it easily brings account codes, jobs and copies of receipts into accounting software. It links to various credit cards with the paid version for easy reconciliations. The biggest benefit for my application was having the individual card users coding and providing backup for their transactions with the ability to then very easily reconcile in the account software (I use Xero).

Cons

The customer service is the worst I've ever encountered, of all companies I've ever worked with in my life. All questions are submitted via chat with a minimum of 2-4 hours between responses. This makes a conversation impossible. There is no help with initial setup or training, which would likely reduce all subsequent problems. Even for an accounting firm who wants to implement the software to a number of clients, there is no personal help.

There are constant issues with the credit card links and the sync needs to be manually updated to reconnect. This is not apparent until the user realizes that transactions are missing. From a workflow perspective, these issues should be resolved automatically or a notification received.

There are constant changes within the software without forewarning. This makes using this product a constant battle with regularity. It's also not as intuitive as it should be. My clients often tell me the same, that the software just simply doesn't work well.

As a small addon to a much larger web of integrated softwares, the amount of issues I had with this software makes it not worth using for my firm. My frustrations with getting it set up properly for my clients was met with indifference by the staff. Ultimately, in a world with many other options, I was forced to go elsewhere.

Mohammed

Reviewed on 24/04/2022

A robust system for documenting and controlling expenses

Expensify enables us to document expenses and raise their records to the cloud with ease and smooth audits and approvals within specified dates.

Pros

The great thing about Expensify is that we are able to monitor, document and control all expenses. Through Expensify, team members got rid of collecting paper receipts and then preparing lists and submitting them to the accounting department for auditing and approval. With Expensify, things have become clearer, as each team member independently will be able to scan his invoices to be raised on his own cloud and enter data from them to his expense page, and then the accounting department will be able to audit and notify him of approval or request other inquiries, and by These quick and accurate procedures ensure that no receipts are lost and that you get the money straight away.

Cons

Not a lot of unwanted things, and it does not require a lot of effort on the part of the users to be able to track their expenditures properly.

Ellen

Reviewed on 05/12/2018

Mixed bag of tricks

Pros

Good for keeping track of and reporting basic expenses incurred for your business. If you need it to do anything extra, not so great. Bells and whistles break frequently and at the worst times.

Cons

If you need customer service, start by asking someone else. If you submit a ticket or an email for an issue you may be having, they will respond (never sooner than 12-24 hours) with a copy of that topic's Help manual. In other words, their customer service gives new meaning to terrible. If you try responding to that copy/paste answer, they will copy/paste from another part of their Help manual. It's truly frustrating and you have to get stinking mad before an actual person replies to your issue, usually with a sorry for your troubles reply. I've given up asking them for help. Oh, and if you have a broken bank connection, they love to blame it on your bank instead of actually looking to see if it can be fixed on their end. And no, this is not the free version.

• Industry: Events Services

Reviewed on 15/11/2019

Worst customer service

the software when working is great but the customer service is the worst I have ever worked with in the world and they don't care about paying clients

Pros

easy to track expense
connects with stripe to invoice
easy to mark paid

Cons

when a problem happens customer service does not exist
problems can last over 1 month
no credit for the system not working
they want customers to fix issues that are their problem
no managers in the company

Reasons for Switching to Expensify

look of expense report and connect to stripe
Scott
  • Industry: Biotechnology

Reviewed on 02/09/2021

Mediocre product, and they will spam your entire user base

Not sure why they decided to spam my entire user base with incendiary political messages. Regardless of which side you are on, this was beyond inappropriate and left me with a lot of pissed off employees. I do not hire a T&E software company to give me their political beliefs, even if I may agree with them.

Pros

OCR matching directly with credit card receipt; auto submission at end of month with matched transactions

Cons

Hard push to get people to use their credit card; admin features spread out and confusing; pricing too high and increasing; company will spam your entire user base with incendiary political e-mails

ExpensePath
  • Company size: 501–1,000 Employees
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 06/04/2021

Expensify is decent for what it does but a product I'd ever recommend

It saves me time with my receipts and allows me to get reimbursed quickly, but this isn't a company I'd ever want to support. I wish my company would drop them.

Pros

Expensify has some cool things about it. It's pretty quick and easy to submit receipts for expenses and the approval process is easy. It's simple to add receipts and get everything compiled into one report for reimbursement.

Cons

I don't like that it's not always simple to add multiple receipts to one expense. Sometimes one is missing a date so I need to also include a card statement screenshot and adding the supporting documents doesn't appear within the report like I'd like them to. I also wish there was a better way to add comments to the expense itself rather than the chat-like thread within the report. I also have never had much luck with the auto-receipt reader. I just enter my info manually because it hasn't been super reliable.

Most importantly, I have to say that the email message Expensify's [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] sent out to ALL Expensify users prior to the 2020 election was absolutely inappropriate and unprofessional. He had no place to use his platform and account holder lists to blast every Expensify user with such a biased, partisan message. If it were up to me, I would have dumped Expensify that very moment across my entire company because I don't want to do business with an organization that shoves their politics into my face unsolicited, regardless of which side of the fence they're on. Very dissatisfied with this approach.

Reviewed on 31/12/2020

We stopped using Expensify after 5 years of being customers

We've used their service for 4 years and they kept increasing their fees and finally they locked us in an annual agreement and changed their procing model again. They customer support don't answer any questions, they keep sending links to their documentation and support forms instead of answering questions.

Pros

Their software has a lot of features but nothing that the other player in the market don't have. their customer services is horrible

Cons

Their are far better alternatives in the market with better value, honestly stay away from them. we've worked with them for a long time and they changed from a startup to a big company with horrible customer service and focus on getting more money from their clients.

Zoho Expense
Amy

Reviewed on 15/08/2017

I WOULD NOT FUNCTION WITH OUT THIS APP!!!

My life is easier, I don't have to hang on to receipts that lose their ink. And it automates everything. I love it!

Pros

My favorite function of this app is that I simply take a photo of my receipt and it inputs EVERYTHING. It inputs the name of the place the receipt is from, the amount of money, and the date on the receipt. It's so simple! It even transfers my receipts from British pounds to US dollars automatically for me when I'm traveling. Or Canadian, or any other country I'm in. It does the conversion for me. Everything is automated. My life is so much easier, and I don't have to carry any receipts around with me. The other favorite thing is that once I'm ready to send a report in, it can be for the month, or a specific trip, or what ever, it emails the entire report broken down into categories for me in a PDF file with the receipt photos attached in the PDF. BOOM!

Elizabeth
  • Industry: Religious Institutions

Reviewed on 10/01/2018

I've used Expensify as an administrator and user and have benefitted greatly in both aspects!

Pros

I find that as a user, the interface is very user friendly and easy to use. I can simply upload receipts and add comments to my expenses. I find it is also easy as an administrator to reject expenses and add comments as to why they were rejected. So easy to use!

Cons

The only thing that is hard is that a report won't allow me to add an expense to it in the app. The expense needs to be added first before it can be added to the report, which is hard. Also, it would be nice to make expenses for distance in the app. Perhaps I am able but just don't know how. If so, it could be helpful to make this feature easier to use.

Response from Expensify

Hi Elizabeth, thank you for your kind review! We are so happy that we are helping making your job easier, both as an admin and an end user :)

In regards to distance expenses, you can definitely create this via mobile if you click the (+) button located in the top right corner of the mobile app on the Expenses or Inbox tab.

To add an expense to a report on the app, simply click into a report and you should be directed to a window with a (+) button in the top right corner. Click that to add a new expense to the report.

Hope this helps, thanks again for using Expensify!

Replied 11/01/2018
Chandresh

Reviewed on 01/07/2023

Decent expense tracking and receipting solution

Overall, it's been a good experience, coming from a largely monotonous and paper pushing way of uploading and creating receipts. However, we do expect further customization and improvement of the platform given the investment made into it

Pros

Expensify has an easy to use interface, which is helpful for non-tech savvy people like myself. It has cross platform support including a mobile application. It also allows to quickly generate receipts, greatly simplifying the process which would otherwise have taken us days

Cons

The user experience could've been better. Although cost is not something I have to worry about immediately, it could be a bottleneck for some users as it limits the usage per cost tier. Data privacy and loss are also a consideration, given we're dealing with critical financial data

Ghayathri

Reviewed on 02/05/2023

Expensify for growing organizations

Pros

Simple UI, user friendly, great level of expense codes, QuickBooks integrations. Direct reimbursement for USA, and integrations based payment for foreign countries

Cons

Some features come at a different paid tier, which makes it hard to use for smaller/growing organizations

Google Forms and Google Docs

Reasons for Switching to Expensify

Ease of use, and value for money
Monica
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 13/06/2023

It's alright

It is difficult to navigate the site since there are so many ways to do the same thing. It has great features but you don't always know they are there.

Pros

I think the "default rate" for gas reimbursement is one of the best features they offer... that we utilize. It is great to have a rate set to the market of the person in the field because we have employees across the country, gas prices vary, and we want to fairly reimburse people. It is much easier than having to set a rate ourselves, monitor it, and change it as the market does.

Cons

It's not the most user friendly site to navigate. It is difficult to figure out how to submit an expense without some playing around. Since there are several ways to submit an expense, it is hard to tell if you are done and set to be reimbursed.

Evan
Evan
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 03/08/2023

Deceptive pricing model & terrible customer service

It was fine until I tried downgrading my account and then it became a nightmare.

Pros

System was somewhat easy to use. The receipt scanning feature was also pretty cool.

Cons

I have been a paying customer of Expensify since 2019, but I stopped using it in December 2021 to move to a solution that worked better for my company. I kept one seat open for over 18 months because I thought I needed to do that to maintain the data. Once I found out it was possible to go to a free account without losing my data, I went to go and process the downgrade. I was shocked to find that they charge an additional monthly fee no matter what time of the month you downgrade the account! In my case, I downgraded the day after I was billed. No proration, and later found out that there was no refund - despite their "Concierge" giving me instructions on how to process a refund - only to find out I wasn't actually eligible... but they still wouldn't make it right. Their "Concierge" has no accountability - you can't get in touch with leadership. They just don't care anymore.