About Kareo Billing

Kareo a Tebra Company offers web-based medical billing and practice management solution used by medical practitioners and physicians across the United States. The system suits small practices and billing companies. With Kareo,...

3.7
3.9
4.2
3.9

Browse Kareo Billing Reviews

Yogesh
  • Industry: Law Enforcement

Reviewed on 11/03/2018

Great support and help for billers

It was a great system for a small clinic as I have experience with Epic as well. This software made my job easier as a scribe as we no longer need to use paper and pen.

Pros

I think , billers must have created this tool. The integration with the clearing house is fabulous. We can track claims and work rejections/denials immediately.

Cons

Its disappointing to admit that the support and troubleshooting was not that great. I have had many times where I have had to get with Kareo support for some system glitches and errors. It slowed down my work as a scribe.

Shirley

Reviewed on 19/02/2020

Easy to learn and use

When we first went to Kareo, we were coming off a system that had brought us to our knees: nothing worked right, clients were frustrated and we had no faith in things reported in the system. Kareo changed all of that for us--we were able to have reports we could trust, true transparency for the clients, and so many functions we were able to do more efficiently.

Pros

We love that the software is intuitive, and we can teach a clinic how to use it (on a basic level) in about an hour. The reports are accurate and easy to use. We can set up favorite reports, and generally get help whenever we're "stuck"

Cons

Enrollments--getting providers enrolled properly and getting assistance with those enrollments. Also, we really dislike that they offshore their help desk. It's challenging to get someone who can help us when we get an offshore rep.
We also wish there was a better defined collections procedure/status in the system which would help us better monitor what's gone to collection.
We cannot bill UB04 charges for facilities out of Kareo.

AdvancedMD Billing Services

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Billing

It was a horrible platform for us. Reports were inaccurate, and the system was hard to use. We couldn't file corrected claims, couldn't see the path of a claim, etc.

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Billing

Pricing and system flexibility. We ultimately ended up with both to be able to accommodate the UB04 billing we need to do for some clients.
Kyle

Reviewed on 08/09/2020

Run Away. Kareo is Awful and Could Ruin Your Practice. It Nearly Ruined Ours. Stay Away.

Horrible. Kareo managed billing was absolutely horrible. We lost tens and tens of thousands of dollars to incompetence and mistakes. Collections were so bad it nearly cost us our practice. We were told they had knowledgeable billers and coders, but the opposite was true. It got so bad that Kareo has to sell off their managed billing department, which took this nightmare to a whole new level. We are still trying to clean up the messes that they made. But there was only so much we could do and the providers never got paid. The people who took over said that they had never seen such gross incompetence.

Pros

Nothing. The interface is modern looking, but it hides the abominable lack of functionality. The EHR is a poorly thought out and is missing basic functionality. The whole system is clunky and you and your staff will waste countless hoursuyiuyi

Cons

I do not have enough room to write a complete list of how terrible Kareo is. Basically, the EHR is a poorly thought out and is missing basic functionality. The whole system is clunky and you and your staff will waste countless hours trying to create work arounds. Your system will go down in the middle of your clinic and you have no recourse. During a particularly bad couple of days of no and/or unusably slow service, we had no choice but to close our office.
Kareo will say they are fixing issues or updating functionality, but the fixes are generally meaningless and the updates are mostly ineffectual. Customer support is also terrible. The calendar is very poor and does not interface with well with the rest of the EHR. In just one example, we were having issues with Kareo creating ghost appointments and randomly deleting patient appointments. It was throwing our practice into disarray because nobody could figure out what was happening. Imagine your patients being emailed for appointments they don’t have and showing up for clinic on random days or patients not showing up at all even though they are on the calendar. Kareo knew about the problem, saw what was happening and could not fix it. . It was yet another Kareo glitch due to the badly executed and buggy software. This is just one example among dozens of how Kareo will make it very expensive and difficult to successfully run your practice.

Response from Kareo

Hello Kyle, Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are sorry to hear that you had a negative experience and truly value your feedback. It is important to us to understand where we may be falling short so we can continue to focus on providing a world-class experience for our customers. Although our managed billing solution is now managed by a separate company, this was not due to inadequate management or a lack of customer focus.

Regarding our EHR, we apologize that we were not a fit for your practice. Kareo has offered our EHR solution for years and we are proud that customers have consistently utilized our system as a tool to provide simple and reliable patient care. Although we did have latency issues recently, these have been resolved and we are constantly working to ensure we learn from these experiences.

We see that you have been in communication with our loyalty team, and they will continue to assist you with any questions or concerns.

Kare

Replied 30/09/2020

Top Kareo Billing Alternatives

Jacob

Reviewed on 17/09/2019

Kareo Billing Software

Overall we've been pretty happy with Kareo. There are a few features we miss from our old software but some of the features we gained by switching to Kareo mostly make up for the difference.

Pros

The main reason we were drawn to Kareo was it's API. It helped that it is cloud based and user friendly but our focus was on the ability to get the data out for use in reporting and our proprietary software and we were able to do that with Kareo.

Cons

The canned reporting is okay but most of the reports export to excel in an unusable format (or at least a difficult to use format with filler cells and merged cells).

MDsuite EHR

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Billing

We wanted to move to a cloud based software with an open API.

MDsuite EHR

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Billing

Mainly for the API and familiarity as a few key members of our staff had used it in the past.
Suzanne

Reviewed on 14/02/2020

REVIEW OF KAREO

Kareo has made billing a smooth process and accounts receivable is manageable in a timely fashion. Any issues are clearly identified and resolved.

Pros

The ability to perform a little extra claim scrubbing on the front end and also simple explanations for any rejections or denials.

Cons

The system gets very slow periodically and we are not able to use the document storage because it slows it down even more.

Jytte

Reviewed on 18/10/2019

Kareo billing system and EHR.

Pros

Integrates seamlessly with the EHR documentation system I use. Electronic billing with submission of clean claims 99.99% of the time.

Cons

Posting payments from EOB does not always reconcile requiring a manual time consuming correction.

Shelly

Reviewed on 20/11/2019

Kareo Product

Pros

It is a user friendly product. Different ways to get to the same outcome. A/R easy to read.

Cons

Sometimes customer service is difficult to understand.

Rahul

Reviewed on 01/03/2019

Great software for billing but the EHR could use some polish

My overall experience with Kareo is very good. We use them for our software and practice management. I’m not using the EHR as it is not included with the package and there are some limitations for my specialty when participating in the MIPS

Pros

The software is web-based and very easy to use on the iPad as well as any other format that supports the browser.
It is easy and intuitive to use and everything is well laid out.
It is easy and intuitive to use and everything is well laid out.
You can access the data most of the time you’re only limitation is the speed of your browser The software is modular in that you paid for different modules from the E in charge of the software and practice management features
They have a great feature set. There always improving and adding more functionality.

Cons

There are too many marketing advertisements in my email for other features. The HR should be included for free if we do the practice management it doesn’t make sense to be forced to use another software. The practice management needs to have more versatility with the types of reports we can generate it is plenty of boilerplate template that should suffice most practices.
They need to have better support for doctors were trying to participate in there are too many marketing advertisements in my email for other features. Each shot should be included for free if we do the practice management it doesn’t make sense to be forced to use another software. The practice management needs to have more versatility with the types of reports we can generate at this point your boilerplate template that should suffice most practices.
They need to have better support for doctors were trying to participate in MIPS. They should be a QCDR.

Reviewed on 05/02/2019

Solid software for Medical Billing

We have been with them for years and feel they are a viable option!

Pros

This integrates with WebPT, our documentation software. If we wanted to, they offer a price included scheduling / documentation software. MANY great features to facilitate claims processing and follow up.

Cons

They have discontinued some great features ( accessible if you know where to look ) in a "upgrade. They are not being able to do secondary electronic claims they way they claimed.. but are still trying to make it work.

Donna

Reviewed on 15/09/2016

Complete Billing Guide

We've been using Kareo for over a year now and we really like what it has to offer from easy to use, posting payments, capitated payments but most of all the reports we use to reconcile our AR.

Pros

User friendly

Cons

Needs to have a better way to send patient statements with the itemized breakdown instead of having to print one by one in the reports.

Blake

Reviewed on 16/03/2020

Kareo Practice Management

Reporting, posting payments, sending invoices, etc are all a breeze with the software. Customer service is without a doubt the most helpful and easiest of any vendor I've ever used.

Pros

The software is very easy to use after a few weeks of learning the in's and out's. I likely don't utilize half of what the software is capable of, but it's perfect for what I need.

Cons

I wish it was possible to integrate the Kareo Practice Management software with more than one EHR in my industry. It is only available for Medicfusion integration.

ChiroTouch and Eclipse

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Billing

I actually fell into Kareo due to the EMR it was paired with. And then Kareo quickly became my favorite software I've used in my 10 years in practice. I've been with Kareo for approx 5-6 years and have consistently been pleased and have no plans to change anytime in the future, unless forced to for some unforeseen reason.
Jenifer

Reviewed on 12/10/2020

In the beginning I was a bit overwhelmed with the features of this program, but once you are able to find your way around it is so easy to work with and the support team is great.

Pros

I've used Kareo for the past 8 years and the support staff is wonderful and very helpful, they know their product and always come through with solving the problem in one call.

Cons

The one feature I would love to see is where our company's name can appear on certain reports, I've been requesting this for a while now so am waiting for that.

Suzanne

Reviewed on 03/09/2020

Satisfied Customer

Very positive

Pros

The program is easy to use, cost effective and the support is great.

Cons

Some of the reports I need are not easily accessible.

EHR 24/7

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Billing

I had used it in the past and felt it was the perfect fit for us.
Karen

Reviewed on 28/05/2020

Bait & Switch!

It has been an absolute nightmare. Customer support has been zero. For over 2 months couldn't use the electronic prescribing system due to problems with the Kareo system. They stated that it was the Doctor.Me program I was required to use. Wasn't. Called my son. He checked into it and told me how to fix it. Was fixed in minutes after 2 months of being ignored. Everytime my staff or I have tried to call them, we go into permahold. You can't get ahold of anyone who knows anything about their system. I am convinced that they hire people off the streets and don't really train them. In addition, they outsource their calls to individuals who can barely speak English and who do not have a clue how their system works. In addition, I pay for both the billing program and EHR. Was told that my monthly bill would be around $400 for both since I have a very small medical practice. Bill immediately jumped to over $680 per month. When I asked for an explanation, was told that needed to contact another department to get an invoice. Have repeatedly asked for a written explanation of why my bill is so high. Never have received any answers. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] were not helpful. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] was actually very rude to my staff. I overheard him making rude comments to my MA. When we tried to utilize our 3 months of "coaching" they never had time to help us. I even tried reaching out to the [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] and he ignored my concerns. We are now slowly muddling our way thru this mess

Pros

Electronic prescribing has warnings, drug info and formulary attached. Helps with determining whether or not you will have interactions with other medications that have been prescribed.

Cons

System goes down frequently. Has several bugs in it. Can't prescribe 2 narcotic medications for a patient. It refuses to send it electronically. Can't prescribe custom medications i.e. diabetic supplies electronically.
Won't interface with any of the local radiology facilities or labs like LabCorp, Sonora Quest ect.....even though we were promised when given the information by the representative [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] who talked me into signing on. The so called templates that they say are available--aren't. Can't sign on to the system from more than one computer i.e. you have it open on your desk top and are using a lap top in the room. Was told that it was a HIPPA violation to have it running in more than one location. Obviously not. Have used EPIC, AHLTA, VA system, Allscripts, Nextgen, Citrex and several other EHRs. Never had this issue with them. Good luck trying to use them. I recommend that you look into other alternatives if you don't want to have the same experience that we have had.

eClinicalWorks and Allscripts Practice Management

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Billing

They violated HIPPA and illegally released our EHR to someone who stated that they owned my clinic.

Practice Fusion

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Billing

Because the sales representative assured us that our monthly costs would only increase by $200 and that we would have "fantastic" customer support. Obviously a "Bait & Switch." Signed up for one thing, got a lemon.

Response from Kareo

Hello Karen, Thank you very much for sharing both your positive and negative experiences with our software. We value all feedback as it helps us to improve overall as a company and understand what our customer's needs are. We are committed to working in partnership with you to ensure your practice is successful.

We see that you have contacted us previously regarding the EPCS issue you brought up and the issue was resolved. We will have someone reach out to you again to discuss any recent issues that may have come up. In regards to integration with labs, we facilitate a connection, but it is completely up to the lab in question to choose to integrate with a practice or not. In addition, our system does only allow users to log in to one device at a time as a security measure.

We will be contacting you to further discuss the concern you raised regarding templates.

Thank you again very much for sharing your story with us.

Regards,

Replied 05/06/2020
Leah

Reviewed on 16/03/2021

Thoughts on Kareo

Overall Kareo is a great product

Pros

I have been using Kareo since 2012 and it has been very easy to use. The scheduler is very user friendly and east to navigate. I also use the billing end of it as well . I like that it populates the statements that are to be sent as well as the secondary claims that medicare sometimes does not forward.

Cons

I have had patients complain that the appointment reminder calls were not easily understood and did not give specific information about the doctor for the appointment.

athenaOne

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Billing

the company was changing requirements

cost and ease of use
Betty

Reviewed on 02/06/2021

Highly recommend Kareo

Kareo is so helpful because the list of claims show exactly what stage each one is in.

Pros

Kareo is very user friendly. In the event I have an issue, the customer service team is immediately available to help me thru, via live chat, phone call or complete email instructions. They are very patient and tolerant of any need I may experience.

Cons

There really is nothing not to like about the software. It has all the features I need for my practice.

Randee

Reviewed on 07/09/2022

What's not to Love

I would prefer Kareo over other PM systems I have used in the past.

Pros

Set-up is very easy with Kareo, entering charges and posting payments comes as second nature. You have the ability to do things in an organized manner to streamline the workflows.

Cons

Making changes to already approved claims can be hard. It would be easy if the delete button actually works but half the time you click it with no results.

Valant EHR Suite, Healthie and IntakeQ

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Billing

Functionality was very important.
Diane

Reviewed on 11/02/2021

User friendly

The benefit is that it is so easy to use and makes my job run more smoothly.

Pros

What I like best about Kareo is that it is so user friendly. It is a very easy software to learn.

Cons

The refund process is too time consuming. Refunding insurance or a patient. It should be just a simple debit to a credit in the adjustment field.

CGM APRIMA

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Billing

The old software went out of business.

Reasons for Switching to Kareo Billing

Much more cost effective and easier to use.
Anthony

Reviewed on 08/09/2019

Software is efficient and reliable

Software is efficient and reliable, will recommend it

Pros

Software is easy to use for billing, has few problems but they are updating it.

Cons

Need improvement in the Electronic Medical records, but they are updating.

Response from Kareo

Antony, we appreciate your pleasant review. As you mentioned we are putting many resources into product enhancements that we release each month. Thank you for choosing Kareo!

Replied 13/09/2019
Phoebe

Reviewed on 01/03/2019

It's a solid billing software

I've been using Kareo for several years now. I first began using it to bill at the first billing company I worked with and continue to use it at the facility I now manage. It is easy to use once you become familiar with it and is a functional, useful program.

Pros

I enjoy how easy it is to navigate between windows. I really like the key performance indicators being available on the home page so I can take a quick scan to see how we're doing. I really like the hyperlinks that take me to rejected claims and denied claims as it makes it so easy to track and correct items. The reports are so nice and easy to export to Excel for my AR.

Cons

It is difficult to edit some things and that can be tedious. The payment posting is a little easier in some other programs but once I have gotten used to how Kareo has it set up, it is less difficult to navigate.

Dee

Reviewed on 03/09/2019

Kareo Medical Billing Software Review

I have 2 different companies that use Kareo - if it wasn't for our CSC I would not have advised my 2nd company to use Kareo. The other CSC is not helpful at all.

Pros

Our CSC is a true asset to your company! He was always there to assist with my questions, and made sure that I understood how to properly maneuver the system.

Cons

Kareo needs to improve their training. Most people don't like a cookie cutter approach for training (i.e. videos, trainers that only teach what is on their agenda)

Response from Kareo

Hi Dee, we appreciate you taking the time to write an honest review. We will take your feedback to help improve the customer experience. We are happy to continue to support you and your business.

Replied 13/09/2019
SherryAnn

Reviewed on 15/04/2019

Money well spent

I have had to use other EHR, PM systems like AdvancedMD and Onco billing and Kareo is by far much more simple and easy to use and functtionality, and the cost is way less for a better system that everyone in the office can use efficiently and effectively.

Pros

Kareo is one of the first EHR and practice management system that is easy and simplified to learn for anyone no matter your computer experience. The cost for the EHR and PM is definitely much cheaper than most other systems out there! I learned a lot of the billing operations by watching their interactive webinars that is also simplified for easy learning!

Cons

The least I like about Kareo is probably the process of doing an adjustment or any changes once an account has money posted to it, I had to contact customer service to get assistance.

HEIDI

Reviewed on 01/12/2020

Good Customer Service

very satisfied

Pros

Customer service always available to help with questions. They are trained very well to know the system, and questions are usually answered on the first call.

Cons

None, delighted and happy. No complaints.

Brian

Reviewed on 07/05/2020

Kareo Review

[SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] is great and all of the support folks are top notch. Some are a bit hard to understand but I got used to it

Pros

Easy to use and fairly simple to understand. Plenty of support and library of video and print help at the touch of a button

Cons

Not really anything it was a great experience so far. Posting is difficult to understand but the help is there to clear it up

ChiroTouch

Reasons for Choosing Kareo Billing

New business and new needs

eTHOMAS

Price and features
Patrick

Reviewed on 16/04/2020

3 year review

Overall Kareo has been a good learning experience for me to determine what I expect and need from an EHR system. I have been looking into others systems and expect to be with another company within a year. For a small clinic, this may work well for a provider. For a Group Practice that is expanding, it is lacking the support for the amount of issues they are working to fix.

Pros

Price. As a new practice, price was very influential in the decision to go with Kareo.

Our Success Coach was very helpful at first. Kareo appeared to have a high turnover initially which made it difficult during the first several months. However the Success Coaches were the highlight of Kareo's customer support.

Cons

The fact of the matter is their customer support lacks the manpower to answer calls in a timely manner to be helpful. I have had staff/myself on hold for over 30 min waiting to get through to customer support on several occasions.
Just in the last couple weeks I opened a case file. Kareo says they will have someone call you within a certain time-frame. A week later I had my staff call to only find out that the case was closed out without anyone calling us and the problem still persisted.
We have issues with provider super billing that rearranges diagnosis codes from the provider view to the billing view. Provider lists diagnosis in a certain order and when billing receives it it is in a different order.

Response from Kareo

Hello Patrick, Thank you for sharing your candid feedback with us. We are committed to working with you on overcoming any obstacles you've experienced, and will have someone reach out to you directly to discuss your concerns more in depth.

Thank you again for your honest feedback, and we look forward to speaking to you soon,

Regards,