About AmberPOS

Pacific Amber’s AmberPOS offers a point of sale software solutions to a variety of retail specialties, ranging from small to midsized, in the United States and Canada. In addition to point of sale functionality, AmberPOS...

Browse AmberPOS Reviews

52 of 71,760 reviews
Wayne G.

Reviewed on 17/10/2014

A robust POS for small businesses

Pros

They are responsive to requests for assistance. The software has many advanced features. The value is good. The built-in reporting is nice, with some caveats (see below).

Cons

As a former software developer with 15 years of experience, there are a few issues I have. These might not bother everyone, though.

First, the reporting system is nice, but you cannot alter the format or add/remove fields from the canned reports. This means I eventually had to build my own back end reporting system. The vast majority of people won't be able to do this, so be aware that if your main goal is robust reporting, this is a pretty major issue.

Lack of keyboard shortcuts. If I change a SKU I cannot hit ctrl+S to save. I have to click the save button with the mouse. It's annoying.

Unable to customize screen layouts. On the customer screen, for example, I cannot choose to display only the fields I use. This means there are a ton of fields I don't care about that I can't hide. This is the same for all the screens. The software has a lot of fields because of the advanced nature of its design. Even so, I don't need all of them, so being able to hide them would be wonderful.

The label design system lacks a "snap to grid" system. Actually, it doesn't have a grid system at all. This makes designing a label unnecessarily difficult

Custom queries cannot be altered later. If you setup a special price rule with a custom query and later wish to modify it, you must start over. Any attempt to change it will give you an error. This is annoying and leaves you open to risk that your new rule will miss logic you built into your old rule.

It rounds down on sales taxes. If you sell any item that results in a sales tax value less than a penny, it won't charge sales tax. When you move thousands of dollars a year in these small transactions, this can lead to a substantial amount of sales tax you owe that the system never collected!

Genevieve E.
2.5

Reviewed on 23/10/2014

We have been very happy with Amber POS

Pros

The reporting feature is awesome! We can provide all the relevant information our bookkeeper needs quickly and easily. Our training technician was extremely helpful and gave us a very useful orientation. We also really like the integration with a second back room computer, freeing up the POS for sales while inputting new inventory.

Cons

The software was a bit overwhelming as first. It would be ideal if there was a simplified version available for smaller businesses that could be unlocked and expanded as needed. Free technical support should be appreciated. The support subscription is expensive and the cancellation fee is disappointing.

Response from N/A

Our technical support fees are some of the most affordable in the industry at just $29/m per system, which covers our customers for unlimited technical support and includes ongoing software upgrades at no extra charge. While most software manufacturers force you to re-purchase a new version of the software every few years, our customers enjoy the benefit of getting all updates included for FREE with our support & updates subscription. Not only does this mean they don't have to incur additional major costs every few years, it also means they are always getting the most up-to-date version of our system, and their staff can always contact us for unlimited support.

We do not charge a cancellation fee for the monthly support subscription. However, if a customer decides to opt-out of our monthly support and software updates program for an extended period of time, and for example if two years later they are running an older, out-of-date version of our software because of that decision, we do charge a small re-activation fee to complete all the necessary updates on their systems. However there is never any fee to cancel our support program.

Replied 24/10/2014
Luke B.

Reviewed on 11/06/2014

Great Investment

Pros

Amber is the most user-friendly POS software I have come across. It is very easy to use, and the basics can be learned and navigated through almost without any experience. The vendor is also great. The support I have received has been great from the Amber technicians. They respond very quickly to any questions and concerns you have regarding how to use different functions or to correct mistakes. They are quick to take control and show you while guiding you over the phone through the steps of how to accomplish what it is that you would like to do.

Cons

Not having 24-7 customer support. Due to not having a round the clock support for weekends and other times, there are times when you cannot get assistance when you want it. Being on a different timezone also interferes with scheduling times for instructions and online help.

Top AmberPOS Alternatives

Jacob A.

Reviewed on 17/04/2012

Totally Awesome Goods is a new retail brand with the ultimate goal of having a few stores and a robust website. It was important for me, right from the start, to use a POS system that can be integrated with my website and can handle more than one location. I was just about set to go with another POS system, when Software Advice recommended the AmberPOS. I spoke to Ashley at AmberPOS who was very helpful, patient and supportive throughout the process. The POS system is very easy to use, and mostly very intuitive. Since there is a lot of functionality, I am still learning all that it can do. I was up and running very quickly.

The implementation was very easy, without any issues. The technician, Pavel, was very helpful and knowledgeable. Support in general has been very good. The only major issue I have had with AmberPOS was its integration with the merchant services account. I needed to do it through a YESpay gateway, and I was not aware that was the case until a couple of weeks before the store was to open. I felt this could have been better explained up front. As a result, I don't have that integrated with my POS system. Other than that, I am thus far happy with the decision.

Abraham S.

Reviewed on 04/04/2018

Excellent Software for an up-and-coming company

I utilized and managed this software at a clothing store in Downtown Brooklyn a few years ago

Pros

The software itself has a very user-friendly interface when compared to other POS programs and customer service is respectful in the least. You may not reach them on your first call within a timely manner, but when you do get someone on the phone, they are always able to help you figure out your problems.

Cons

Like most POS software, it can be difficult to train new employees who are not tech savvy on using the interface. I would recommend a more competitive, modern software for companies with more than 10 employees.

Suzanne V.

Reviewed on 06/12/2016

Useful POS that allows good reporting

Ambur is an intuitive POS system that allows you to track inventory, and run reports easily.

Pros

Track inventory, ability to apply discounts at will, intuitive.

Cons

I'd love if ambur allowed reporting on applying discounts and coupons. Their customer service has also seriously lacked during this last year. I'd also love if they put together a closed loop gift card service that is integrated.

Jan L.

Reviewed on 21/02/2012

My partner and I own two knitting stores with extensive inventory. The inventory system that we were previously using was not user friendly, nor did it provide us with adequate reporting tools. We knew there had to be a better system, but as small business owners, cost was a significant factor. After extensive research into a variety of different options we decided that Pacific Amber Technologies provided a better product than others that cost twice the price.

We have now been working with Amber POS for over a year and cannot say enough about how happy we are with this transition. The support crew was extremely patient, efficient in training all our staff, and their continued support has been invaluable. I would 100% recommend Amber POS to any business, small or large.

Stephen M.

Reviewed on 19/11/2018

Poor company

Stay away

Pros

Pros???? None that I can see of. They play smoking mirrors with you. They did start the refund of the cost.

Cons

They want you to open up your environment to them. They want Team Viewer access to every computer that it is installed on, and SA database access on your SQL server where you do not have access to. They will not even give you the software! Not to mention forwarding the SQL port on your router to the server as well.... Major security holes and would highly recommend staying away from the POS!

Meg S.

Reviewed on 21/07/2015

Great value for the price

Pros

It is easy to use and intuitive. Support is great (front end sales, telephone IT support, online manual is pretty good).

Cons

Everything so far has been good. We have only been on the system for a month.

Justin P.

Reviewed on 09/11/2011

I run a small business shoe store. The store has been in business for 33 years and coming into 2011 had never had any type of POS/inventory management. I came to SoftwareAdvice.com looking for assistance in locating the perfect retail software for a business that had previously never had as much as a computer. After a couple of months, I was able to narrow my search to Pacific Amber Technologies and their AmberPOS software.

Despite being based out of Vancouver and having a 3-hour time difference to me on the east coast, Pacific Amber's customer service was top notch. Since they are a smaller business themselves, they seemed to understand the constraints of time and money and really worked to make sure I was getting everything I needed without spending more than I had to. In the early stages of getting all of the hardware, if they didn't have a product that I needed for a price that worked, they would direct me towards where online I could find it while maximizing my dollars.

They assisted me every step of the way, from installation of software, to setup of any hardware, to getting my inventory tracking up and running. When it came time to set up my online store, AmberPOS was once again a huge help. The integration with my physical inventory and my online inventory was synced without much hang-up.

As a business that hadn't used any type of inventory tracking previously, or anything digital at all, AmberPOS was relativity simple to teach to my sales staff and owner, all of who had very little computer experience. Most caught on very easily, and I definitely think that AmberPOS's layout and graphics not only make it a nice system to look at everyday, but much more inviting to someone who wouldn't be as comfortable with a system that functioned the same but looked like a spreadsheet.

Over the past six months that we have had AmberPOS up and running fully in our store, any time we needed assistance we never had much issue getting in touch with their support team. Usually we could get the issue resolved within 24 hours, and they always checked back in to make sure everything was running smoothly.

I cannot recommend Pacific Amber and their AmberPOS software more for a company of any size. The only reason I gave Functionality a 4-star rating is there are still a few minor issues, but whenever those are brought to their attention they are pretty quick to listen and update the software. I'll be sure to use AmberPOS for years to come!

Reviewed on 27/04/2018

Customer support is APPALLING!

Cons

Random errors. Their "fully integrated credit card processing" isn't. Sales process through credit card payments but not recorded in register. Customer service's reponse: "Just do a physical inventory of your 15,000 items to determine what sold." Half of the month of sales and receiving history disappeared randomly for no known reason. They don't care.

Response from Pacific Amber Technologies

This review was mistakenly left for the wrong POS company. This is not our customer. They may have us mixed up with a Restaurant POS system with a similar name to ours. We don't sell restaurant POS systems. We sell a Retail POS system.

This anonymous review is either fake or left for the wrong POS company. It claims our system doesn't store transactions in the POS database. That is simply not true. We have thousands of customers, some with transactions going back 10+ years.

They must be mistaking our system for a different software. We tried to get Capterra to correct this mistaken and misleading review but they refused even though this was not left by one of our actual customers.

Replied 22/06/2018
Daniel A.
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions

Reviewed on 07/12/2017

Top Notch Service !

For anyone looking for a POS system, you cannot go wrong by choosing Amber.

Pros

Amber is easy to teach to my staff, remarkably easy to use on the administrative side and offers wonderful and personal support. It is an affordable system that I highly recommend to anyone looking to upgrade. From the people to the program, itself, I couldn't be happier and feel more confident that I made the right choice by choosing Amber.

Cons

I operate four separate museum stores and maintain four separate inventories within Amber. My wish is that it could be made easy to toggle between inventories without having to log out of one and into another. I'd love to be able to just log in and be able to maneuver between inventories with a bit more ease. Trust me, I can be a whiner..........and if this is my only complaint........well, Amber is doing okay by me, then.

Matthew D.
  • Industry: Recreational Facilities & Services

Reviewed on 03/08/2020

Excellent POS option that does not break the wallet

From the start, the AmberPOS Team has walked us through setup to some minor issues we have had. The fact that they responded with expedience during a 4th of July weekend speaks volumes! The team support has truly been wonderful!

Easy program that can be navigated by younger staff, and flexibility of sales ability work very well. Considering that we are a ticket booth, snack bar, and retail store, this program covers all bases for us!

Pros

Scalability and user friendly features allow this to remain small but give the ability to increase as the business grows.

Cons

Due to our location, internet is a little slow. Although this is not a cloud based POS, it still requires updates that can bog down our internet.

This is NOT an issue with the software, it is an in-house issue.

Rachel S.
1.5

Reviewed on 08/06/2016

Too clunky and customer service is terrible unless you pay

Pros

It communicates well between 2 stores. You can set up a way to track frequent buyer cards even though it's clunky.

Cons

Getting things set up is incredibly clunky, and it's nearly impossible to predict what will go wrong. They force you to buy a subscription to their customer service help, so at that point, it adds on to the price. And if you don't, you get absolutely no help getting their software to really work for you. Most of the problems we have had are entirely THEIR fault and they still won't help you without the "customer service" package. a) we keep getting a message that says "duplicate entry or something is wrong" and they won't/can't fix it unless we pay. We can't rearrange the order of the point system items without literally going in one at a time and hitting "up up" until it gets to where you want. This takes HOURS. You can't delete one transaction that you've "held" (or "parked" in their terms) without deleting ALL parked transactions. The frequent buyer program/points system is clunky and hard to manually fix anything.. I guess it's trying to prevent fraud, but... for instance, I'm a pet food store... we do a buy 12 get 1 free program on our bags of dog food. If a person buys 6 bags of one food, and then switches to a different line of foods but the first 6 bags might sort of count (like they buy 15# bags, then buy 30# bags) you can't transfer the points from the first 6 bags at all... there is no way to "force" the free bag and deduct points. If you comp the bag manually, the customer gets one more point, not 6 less points. There is no report that I can find that tells you how many returns you've done in 1 month, or from 1 vendor, or from 1 customer, etc.. no way to track returns at all as far as I can tell. Sales per day of the week is also not found. In order to do my taxes each month, I have to run 2 separate reports... 1 to find service sales (non-taxable) and another to find tax exempt sales (like for government orgs). shall I go on?

Response from Paul

I’m sorry our software didn’t work out for you Rachel. I hope you find something you’re more happy with.

We do not force customers to purchase a subscription to our support and updates program – it is completely optional, but the vast majority of our customers do decide to go with the plan as it’s such a great value for your money. We offer unlimited support and complete software updates for just CAD $29/m which ensures that your software is always up-to-date and any new versions of the software are installed free of charge. The program IS entirely optional as well, and some of our customers decide not to purchase the program and instead just pay for tech-support if they need it.

We also do include up to 6 hours of training, converting data and importing of inventory from an old POS system at no extra charge.

As for our “Try before you buy” program, we have a full 90 Day 100% Money Back Guarantee for anyone who purchases our software licenses, so if for any reason they are not 100% completely satisfied with our software, they can receive a full refund no questions asked.

Replied 12/08/2016
Heather B.
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing
2.5

Reviewed on 21/01/2016

two way radio shop finally found rental software to manage serial numb

Pros

We are a specialized radio shop and require that our products be tracked by serial numbers. While quickbooks and microsoft can manage this - you cannot search either of their pos systems by serial numbers. Amber is the first piece of software I have found in years that manages serial numbers AND will manage rental radios as well.

Cons

Having to log in and out continually is time consuming. Logging in to the inventory function then in to pos sales function - It would be nicer if you logged in once and could move throughout the program on the same log in.
You cannot edit an invoice once it is made - you have to void and re-issue with a different invoice number.

Laura W.
  • Industry: Farming

Reviewed on 17/10/2017

AmberPOS a Perfect Fit for our Complicated Business

Pros

AmberPOS solved our complicated retail business's problems. We sell live animals as well as merchandise, both online and at our brick and mortar. Only AmberPOS could handle our complicated inventory needs and reporting, along with the usual POS issues. Hands down the absolute best customer support we could ask for!

Cons

AmberPOS is complex so its interface is a bit complicated. After training and daily use we were able to get comfortable with AmberPOS and use it to its full potential.

Betty S.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts

Reviewed on 12/01/2018

The Best POS I have ever used

Pros

Easy to use, adjust inventory, The support staff is just wonderful. I have never waiting more than 45 minutes for a call back. Prompt and professional. The set up was easy and all updates have been without a hitch. Love working with them and this product

Judy S.

Reviewed on 06/06/2017

Works

Pros

Everything is there and many reports
Scans products and works well with the credit processing
Can preform queries on data

Cons

only had a few credit processing to use that would work with the system
Ability to scan DL to get age verification still haven't been able to figure this out. When it scans, you get the driver's license number, not the birth date.
very costly better off to purchase the software as the support they refer you to the online manual anyway. Once into your second year, your system will be paid for.
make sure your data is the way they load into the system or you could be in big trouble with inventories not right.

Darcy L.
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions

Reviewed on 09/06/2014

Great Product and Customer Service

Pros

Amber POS is a well-designed system that is adaptable to a variety of retail situations. We use it in a non-profit setting for admissions to an attraction, retail sales, memberships, and maintaining a customer/membership database that helps us track of member visits and purchases. We are also in the process of linking it to our e-commerce site so that all inventory will be drawn from one database.

Cons

The training and support is fabulous. Answers are prompt, and the instructor made sure that we understood the functionality. They also checked in during the setup to make sure we are happy with the software and found ways to make it the most applicable to our needs.

Donald Q.
  • Industry: Arts & Crafts
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 27/04/2018

On the short list

Can use any merchant card services with it.

Pros

Customer Care and Professional Sales Representative. Was very informative and ease of use. Positive results for speaking to others who use it.

Cons

Seems a little pricey, I haven't found may things to criticize on. Nice that you don't have to buy a boatload of equipment.

Todd C.

Reviewed on 09/02/2013

We searched high and low for a POS system that would integrate our fairly large brick & mortar store and it's inventory with our website. Lucky for us we found AmberPOS. Now we have a real-time inventory in both our online store and our brick & mortar store and it's really easy to keep everything in sync.

The crew at Pacific Amber have been great about discussing our unique needs and making sure the integration works seamlessly. The SKU mass updater tool works perfectly, so we can manage our online inventory in bulk. The POS is a fully-fledged Point of Sale with all the features we demand. The added benefit of working with them has been a personal touch that you don't get from the 'big boys'. Highly recommended if you need to make sure your inventory is accurate, and want to manage your web store from your Point of Sale.

Tom G.
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Reviewed on 29/05/2014

Excellent product-good price-great support

Pros

The program has the features we need to handle clothing and footwear. You can manipulate the data fields; installation was easy with no problems. I am still learning the program, and the training is very good. The training person knows the program top to bottom, and the company in general seems top notch and trustworthy. One last thing, when their rep says they will call at a certain time, they call on time.

Cons

I haven't found anything to dislike yet, I am pleased I purchased this program.

Eddie Y.
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 13/12/2016

Work in progress

It is coming along but we have a few issues to work out.

Pros

The team has been very helpful.

Cons

It's taking longer than expected.

Anthony G.

Reviewed on 06/06/2014

Review Amber POS

Pros

Easy to use, help desk always available, tons of options

Cons

Some security features. For one or two users, having to log in and out is a little cumbersome.

Daniel S.

Reviewed on 07/02/2012

We are a small rapidly growing specialty garden store. We have used a few different POS systems since opening, about 6 years ago. All of the systems we worked with in the past had too many functionality issues for us to keep using their software for very long.

Since switching to Amber POS almost 2 years ago, our system has become much more streamlined and much easier to use. We have a warehouse that we use for excess product and bulky item storage. Amber POS can accurately track ALL of our inventory in both locations. When we expand to more store locations, we can add an infinite number of additional stores, using all the existing information. No need to retype anything in!

All business information is now kept in one place. It's very easy to find any information needed from product information, vendor information, customer information, to all sales history & reports. The staff at Pacific Amber has been a blessing for our business. They are always ready to help with any issues that may come up. They usually answer the phone on the first call, but if I have to leave a message, I get called back quickly. Try that with Quick books and see how you feel endlessly waiting for help that doesn’t come.

We had some issues setting up our old accounting program on new computers we bought. The staff at Pacific Amber even helped us install software from another company! I'm not saying that they are supposed to or expected to, but service like that is one of the many reasons that I am extremely happy with their software and support. They care and it shows.

They also got our new website up and running! They advised us which shopping cart software to use, and then integrated it to the Point Of Sale. Now we can upload, update, edit, add and remove products from our online store right from the POS window! When we sell an item online, the transaction can be downloaded into the POS without having to retype any information! I'm sure you can see how much time this can save! We can even sell on eBay though our website and not have to retype in ANY information; it all gets downloaded correctly right into the POS.

All in all, this is a great system and I am very happy with it and the staff at Pacific Amber Technologies. I would highly recommend it to anyone who needs a solid POS system, from a single store with a small inventory, up to large retail companies with dozens of stores and thousands of products. This software can handle whatever you need it too.