About Shopify POS

Shopify POS is a point of sale solution that helps retail businesses streamline operations related to marketing, inventory management, payment processing, product reporting and more on a centralized platform. The omnichannel...

Browse Shopify POS Reviews

Jessi F.
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 24/06/2021

It works okay but not great

It does the job, but I think Square is overall better.

Pros

I like that it integrates with Shopify. The card readers are high quality. The app interface is okay.

Cons

The app is different on iPad versus iPhone. The iPad version is way better, but we do mostly outdoor events, so we use phones and it's a bummer.

Stephanie M.
  • Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 26/06/2018

Shopify POS is easy to use and great for places with distinct items

Pros

When using it to process payments, it's intuitive to use. Simply use the search bar to search product name or SKU and relevant products with photos comes up. It's best used for products with few variants or with detailed variants. In our cafe, it allows baristas to show all customizations of drinks right on the receipt which increases efficiency in our store. We can also adjust what tax applies on each order or product in the order, and can create discounts on the spot.

Also, it offers a 'quick sale' function which allows the staff member to add a product without going to the back end of the system. Additionally, customers can be added to the order meaning that our stored customer information can be added once the customer is ready for checkout. This is particularly useful when some customers have credits on their accounts, or have tax-free status.

Cons

While searching, even if the whole SKU is put in, Shopify POS (in its tile view) will only show the product, not the variant within it. Also, it doesn't show the SKU unless you press and hold the product image. This can be time-consuming and can sometimes lead to staff accidentally selecting the wrong product, despite knowing the exact SKU of the product they were looking for.

Also, if our wifi ever disconnects in the store, the POS on the ipads is rendered useless. There should be some way of temporarily logging orders placed while offline then uploading them to the system. And since the latest update, it takes about 4 steps to let a customer pay once the order has been input if they are paying with debit/credit since we use external terminals.

Reviewed on 06/12/2017

Shopify is by far the best shopping cart I've every used, and the POS is no exception.

It's constantly saving us money. With Shopify POS we don't have to spend anything extra for the POS support that connects into our existing shopping cart.

Pros

VALUE. Shopify allowed us to have a free developer account to test and work through our hesitations before paying a penny for the cart. The POS system comes with the cart for free, it works flawlessly on any apple device, I haven't tried the android offering, but I'm sure it's great as well. The account comes with multiple logins for managing employees with specified permissions for keeping eyes and fingers out of places they shouldn't be. And to top it all off it has a fantastic API connection that allows us to connect it to our Fishbowl Inventory Management system, which brings in the orders from both cart and POS and sorts the inventory out, handles the shipping with shipstation, posts back tracking and fulfills the orders in shopify and all the while capturing all the financial data in QB. I could seriously fire multiple employees for all the time and work this automation is doing for me.

Cons

If I had to complain it would be that there are some things you can't customize that you might be able to with one of the self hosted carts such as magento, woocommerce, or even magento 2.

Top Shopify POS Alternatives

Scotty H.

Reviewed on 03/12/2019

Shopify's POS Software makes our in-person events happen

My overall experience with the POS software has been extremely positive. I have only had issues when I've brought the POS Hardware into the equation with faulty and unreliable bluetooth pairing.

Pros

What I like most about the software is the ability to use it in a few different ways. During an event, I can use the search feature to add the actual product to the shopping cart for better inventory keeping, or I can do a "quick sale" and just enter the total amount for custom orders. I really like the flexibility there.

Cons

The pairing of the software and the hardware (credit card reader, in this case) is spotty at best. There are a lot of times that we have to manually enter CC information because we can't get the bluetooth pairing to work correctly. Would love a physical "docking" ability as a failsafe.

Lidia C.

Reviewed on 13/03/2020

Great Option for Our Business

Pros

Shopify POS is our main POS system for a large retail space. Easy to use and train all staff. Easy to integrate with other systems.

Cons

The Shopify shop is a bit too templated as well as the products. Need quite a few extensions to modify and customize products.

Jessi O.

Reviewed on 21/02/2019

Satisfied

Pros

It makes it very easy for us to keep our inventory up to date while we are at events, and makes checking customers out very smooth.

Cons

We seem to have issues with our Shopify card reader when we’re at events. It will quit working and then we have to manually enter card numbers, which takes longer and charges a higher fee.

Pamela A.

Reviewed on 18/07/2017

Excellent E-Commerce Program

Pros

We love everything about Shopify. It's easy to use. Allows us to check out customers at our retail store or out at an event when we use our iPad Mini.

Cons

We had not had any real problems with Shopify. Occasionally when an update was done we had to change a couple settings.

James L.

Reviewed on 26/09/2019

Makes selling items at events super easy!

Over all it really makes selling items at events really easy and quick!

Pros

I like how each product is laid out in a tile with the image on the front. It makes it very easy to identify the product and add it to the cart.

Cons

It would be great if we could customize products with in the the app. It and adjust the taxes being charged.

Joe B.

Reviewed on 25/01/2018

Great for Most People, But Could Use More Work to be World-Class

Pros

Ability to take orders on iPad or phone at conventions and other physical brick-and-mortar locations. Of course, being able to tie into our online store directly is a great plus, as well.

Cons

No "offline" orders, so it always requires some sort of Internet connection, so you need to either be near a wifi hotspot, or have a cellular connection. And, of course, if your connection has drops and other issues, orders may not sync correctly with your Shopify store.

Also, GUI could use some work in terms of flow and process.

Additionally, the ability to use the phone or iPad camera as barcode scanner would be of great benefit, instead of having to purchase another peripheral to worry about.

Lincey V.

Reviewed on 02/01/2019

Great to charge credit cards at shows and fairs

I much prefer Shopify POS than Paypal here, Stripe and Etsy reader (I tried them all).

Pros

Easy to use, non-laggy software to process credit card payments in person. The whole catalog from my Shopify store is connected and each product can be easily added to the bill. I often use the 'Quick sale' option for fast checkouts on which we simply enter the amount to charge. Shopify sent a free credit card reader that can read chips. The charge on the reader lasts for well over a day, which is perfect when you don't have access to power.

Cons

Sometimes (rarely) my phone and the reader won't detect each other and I have to enter the credit card number manually, which isn't ideal.

Alexa R.
  • Industry: Textiles
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 19/08/2019

Used for Good Morning America

many users on the site at once and not having to worry about the website crashing

Pros

Easy to navigate in the backend; can handle many users on the website at once; great customer service to reach out to

Cons

had to add on an exporter to download orders in a certain fashion - this created errors for our internal team

• Industry: Consumer Goods

Reviewed on 25/10/2018

Great point of connection from the office to the retail store

Pros

Shopify POS simplifies the Shopify app for the sake of in-person transactions in a smooth and aesthetically pleasing way. Easy to use for our sales associates and reads well to customers.

Cons

Lacks some of the features (editing and exchanges) that would be useful in-store.

Megan J.

Reviewed on 17/07/2018

Easy to use interface and makes the workday day go by easily

Makes having multiple storefront locations easy by having a uniform look and experience

Pros

I like how easy to use this software is, you could genuinely dive right in and have few questions about how the app works. It makes having multiple store locations easy.

Cons

That everything is connected through Bluetooth... if one thing goes down, my whole system goes down and can take a few minutes to get back running which causes clients to be upset.

Nicholas S.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 15/12/2016

Generally pretty good

There are a lot of great things to say about Shopify POS, and just a few negatives. It's generally pretty easy to setup and get up and running. It's pretty straightforward to use and is easy enough for a newbie to sell from. Some advanced selling can't be configured is my only hangup.

Reviewed on 24/09/2019

Reliable

Overall it has been a bumpy but great experience with shopify

Pros

I have enjoyed the user friendly part of the software and how simple it is to use it especially as a beginner.

Cons

There is nothing bad I could say about the software. It does all that I need to be done. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to get into the online market.

Franciele F.

Reviewed on 24/05/2021

I really like the Shopify Pós app.

It is a very good app, I can solve all my transactions.

Pros

I like the benefits of being fully integrated anywhere in my online sales. I can accept payments with low fees, no hidden fees and get payments fast

Cons

They could only add the option of finalizing purchases with external bluetooth payment methods.

Kyle G.

Reviewed on 07/05/2018

Absolute no brainer if you already use shopify

Pros

Absolute no-brainer if you already use shopify. Hooking up this POS is really easy if you're already on Shopify.

Cons

It doesn't have as robust of features as other POS softwares out there. So make sure you it has everything you need.

Genevieve L.
  • Industry: Animation
  • Used for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 28/03/2019

Simple and easy

Pros

I like that it allows me to take payments in USD when i amm doing business in the states as a canadian. So far this is the only system that allows me to do this and there were never any issues.

Cons

nothing was wrong, its designed well and worked well.

Martina L.
  • Used for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 27/12/2020

Easy and Quick to use

Overall, I recommend this application to every business owner, especially if they are doing in person sales. I loved using this.

Pros

I used shopify POS for a pop up shop for my business. It was very easy to use, simple and functioning. Made every sale very very easy.

Cons

The only con I have is not understanding exactly how the tax option works. I wish it wouldve just converted that information directly from the website but it did not. Which was a bit frustrating.

Anna L.
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 05/12/2017

We use Shopify POS quick sales the most.

Pros

I love being able to create a quick sale when we are at events. It is convenient for purchases that are not available on our website.

Cons

We cannot change the tax settings. The tax doesn't adjust to the state it is shipped. I really have no other complaints it is super convenient.

Madeleine C.

Reviewed on 15/12/2016

Easy Breezy

This software makes it so simple to sell and track sales.Takes all the guess work out, leaving time for the creative stuff.

Dan M.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 23/08/2021

Incredible versatility at a very reasonable cost

Shopify POS makes selling items in-person a total breeze. Barcodes can be scanned with the iPad's camera, and integrating either Shopify payments or third-party credit card systems are very easy. Plus, receipts can be printed, e-mailed, or texted

Pros

The ease with which one can customize the buttons (discounts, etc.), product selection, adding multiple products to an order, the ease with which one can accept payment methods (cash, cc, or third party payment), and the ability to take the system anywhere where there is an internet connection (i.e. mobile).

Cons

The fact that you cannot use any bluetooth hand scanner with the system (there's only one and it's very expensive).

Megan B.

Reviewed on 09/02/2021

Highly recommend

Overall, I would refer any in person sellers to this software.

Pros

I love this software because it is so easy to deploy and operate. Also the way that the hands held card reader is shaped is very nice. The software itself integrates smoothly with my Shopify store, and it runs perfectly.

Cons

There is not anything I would change about this software as of right now. It works great and integrates well.

Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Switching to Shopify POS

It integrated with my store and the handheld scanner was free.
Willoughby P.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 06/03/2019

Awesome service for POS

Using Shopify POS has made a huge impact overall in our business and customer relations. We can keep much better records and communication with both clients and customers. This makes the service well worth the price and a dire necessity to any business! Try it for one month and you’ll never use another POS system again.

Pros

Perfect system for POS! The seamless way of operating make this service a breeze to work with. As an admin you have free range to adjust your stock and service ms and much more! This ability to customize the POS system is my favorite part about Shopify.

Cons

You are limited in the free trial to what you can test. It is worth purchasing the service because without buying in, you cannot customize your system.

Jennifer J.
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 07/01/2020

Shopify POS with Mobile Pay Options.

It's easy to train our volunteers to use and troubleshoot. We use both the little white Shopify dip and swipe reader and the sturdier-looking black tap dip and swipe reader and have no trouble with either. Set up is easy and payments are are recorded as received on different readers, making it easier to sort the source of sales, if not the item.

Pros

Easy to set up and define products for sale at a physical store. Located on a 55 acre site, we need it about once a month in multiple locations simultaneously, so it wouldn't necessarily pay to set up connected accounts. We need it to use mobile credit card readers over wi-fi and without a dedicated phone or i-pad with a SIM card. We bought 2 refurbished ipads, 2 kinds of mobile card readers, extended the reach of our wi-fi, and we were ready to go!

Cons

Inability to set up a variable-priced item. To do this, the item must be rung in as a "Quick Sale", so there is no identification of sold products or inventory tracking.