About JumpCloud Directory Platform

JumpCloud Directory-as-a-Service is an IT Management software, which helps businesses of all sizes manage devices or workstations including Windows, MacOS and Linux, access to IT resources and user identities. The solution...

Browse JumpCloud Directory Platform Reviews

Marty C.

Reviewed on 18/09/2020

Replace your old on-prem AD server with Jumpcloud

Even without a global pandemic going on, our company is at least 60% remote. Solving the issues of users working remotely is what Jumpcloud specializes in. Cloud first was my philosophy when I began down this road, and JumpCloud definitely fits that model. No longer do you have to maintain on-prem servers and figure out how to securely allow remote access to them just so your users can log into their systems. JumpCloud handles all of that for you and frees you up to focus on more important issues. Its not "Active Directory in the cloud", but its close! What sets Jumpcloud apart from other solutions is their cross-platform support. Their support for MacOS is fantastic, and even linux workstations have some support!

Pros

Jumpcloud offers 10 users free, forever!

Cons

Without paid support, it can be difficult to adapt to using Jumpcloud if you're not familiar with Active Directory and Group Policies.

Okta and Ping Identity

Reasons for Switching to JumpCloud Directory Platform

After much investigation, I found that neither Ping or Okta could completely replace an on-prem AD server. Azure AD is much more difficult to use, especially in a mixed environment like we have.
Carl S.

Reviewed on 24/08/2020

Excellent Solution for User and Device Management, Directory and Security

We are using JumpCloud as central directory, for SSO, for device and user management and partially MDM functionality. We love the support service, their incredibly enthusiastic and helpful staff. Support is brilliant! They are response time is sometimes hard to believe. The speed with which they have implemented features they mentioned in phone calls a few days before... we are well impressed. The end user experience is simple and assigning users to devices is lightning fast. JumpCloud helps us leverage zero touch deployment as well. We love that it has so many SSO integrations, too.

Pros

Great UI, self explanatory, fast and works in almost any browser (desktop and mobile). The ease of use is incredible. Basically no learning curve at all.

Cons

It would be great to have even more MDM functionality, especially for Mac and mobile devices.

Okta and Hexnode UEM

Reasons for Switching to JumpCloud Directory Platform

Great experience with their team and it is the ideal solution for our setup.
Kyle R.
  • Industry: Cosmetics

Reviewed on 21/09/2020

A great solution for a cloud-based business

Pros

JumpCloud solved a number of issues for us as we needed a cloud-based identity management and also a system management tool for our distributed workforce. The product has constantly been improving over the 2 years we have used it. Set-up is fairly easy and it was pretty simple to roll-out.

Cons

There are some limitations that I hope are improved as the product develops. MDM is currently limited in functionality, and the System Insights still require command-line input to gather detailed information. It doesn't not have commands that can run on a system automatically when joined which would be nice.

OneLogin

Top JumpCloud Directory Platform Alternatives

• Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 04/09/2019

Great option as cloud directory as service

Works just fine as a cloud-based domain service, ideal for spread organizations.

Pros

Easy to use and deploy for different OS options

Cons

Cost can become considerable for large number of users

Gareth S.

Reviewed on 12/08/2020

Excellent Free Tier

Pros

I run a predominantly Mac shop with only a handful of PCs. While I chose a competing Apple MDM solution, it was not because of dissatisfaction with JumpCloud. The Apple solution does not work with PCs, so I stuck with JumpCloud for those. At the price point (free) and the basic functionality provided, I am able to meet my audit and compliance targets with little effort and at a bargain.

Cons

The administrative interface and deployment steps are a tad cumbersome, but that's about it.

Addigy
Mike J.

Reviewed on 04/09/2019

Great non-domain user control!

With this service I was able to settle some PCI Compliance issues with just a short amount of setup time.

Pros

I loved the fact that I was easily able to implement this product with Linux and Windows servers to auto-create and populate user information and user control. This has changed so many steps in our initial buildouts and use on these machines. Must say it has saved countless hours of work!

Cons

So far, I do not see any part that I am not a fan of at all.

Paul M.

Reviewed on 18/09/2020

Jumpcloud - Active Directory in the Cloud

Pros

Having a cloud-hosted authoritative directory. The ease of creating and managing users across g-suite, ldap and Microsoft 365.

Cons

The cost for a large group of users a little higher than I'd like to pay. Especially as a education institution.

Igor M.
  • Industry: Computer Networking
  • Used Weekly for Free Trial

swiss knife identity hub

Identity as a service - ability to stitch together disjoint web apps while maintaining centralized identity store

Pros

Flexible multicloud identity broker - allows to stitch and federate identity between onprem and cloud. When you are looking to go all-cloud, major challenge becomes identity federation and not depending on the onprem AD.
Capability to offer tie the same cloud identity to onprem infra via RADIUS as a service is indespe

Cons

can become costly and api-level interop with major MDM / Security frameworks is highly desired

Okta

Reasons for Switching to JumpCloud Directory Platform

Fantastic technical support, wealth of documentation and documented scenarios
Chris B.

JumpCloud

We use JumpCloud to secure our small software business and meet our security obligations for contracts with large government organisations.

Pros

full coverage of all of our internal and cloud domains, simple set-up, great customer support

Cons

very little- config with GSuite is quite confusing (but I think that is more to do with Google than JumpCloud)

Ian A.
  • Industry: Executive Office

JumpCloud Directory Great

Pros

We are impressed as we are able to work remote with all staff without having to setup vpn's as well reduce the cost of servers and licence

Cons

Office365 SSO is not easy to setup knowledge base could be more helpful

Microsoft Azure
Erik N.

Reviewed on 07/10/2019

Flexible and easy to use

Pros

We needed a directory service that unified cloud identity with local user accounts across Linux and windows server devices. Jumpcloud has been a great fit for this use case and allows us to expand adoption and capabilities as needed. Client apps make it easy to expand our deployment to new cloud infrastructure.

Cons

Minor UI issue when creating new users, but easy to work around the issue

Roberto Z.
  • Industry: Information Services
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Good Active Directory replacement

It is easy to setup, it works as described by the manufacturer and It is very easy to use

Pros

I like the fact I don´t have to mantain a server to validate users

Cons

No cons so far, it is fully compatible with our systems

Yusuf H.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Very Good Service

Centralize authentication

Pros

Excellent product, ease of use, good rich user experience and administration.

Cons

Dont have any feature which is bad in jumpcloud

Walter S.
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 13/09/2019

JC Review

I have known JC for over 1 year. As it is a very intuitive system I had no major problems in deployments or support. Even JC support is fantastic.

Pros

Easy deployment. Compatible with Linux, Mac and Windows without problems

Cons

Could have more policies for Linux machines

Jake D.
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad
  • Used for Free Trial

Reviewed on 12/08/2020

Jumcloud is a steal

with an infrastructure without active directory, I needed a way to have a centralized login for a set of users. Jumpcloud fits the bill and it also included some extra features allowing me to easily manage the devices and users

Pros

10 free licenses for life - great for custom jobs and adhoc deployments. These licenses are feature rich as well

Easy to use and lots of docs to support it.

Easy to deploy

Per my use case - this is a complete replacement for traditional Ldap / active directory

Cons

There is nothing I dislike about jumpcloud especially on the free tier. but what i would like it to have is a dark mode

Yaswanth K.

Reviewed on 09/10/2019

Good Software

Pros

Single Sign On, cloud directory and can integrate with every software.

Cons

cannot test the radius server connectivity.

Diana S.

Reviewed on 07/10/2019

Great LDAP solutions for small businesses

Small businesses that need to become more operational mature in handling their staff and managing users but maybe can't afford an on premise Windows server or want to keep everything in the cloud - this is where JumpCloud reigns supreme.

Pros

The price is probably number 1 thing i like! Free for under 10 users. A great way for me as an IT professional to help smaller businesses get onto a stable platform for properly managing their users and devices, with room to expand as their companies grow. Great integrations with other apps (we use Office365 for most clients). With JumpCloud a small company really doesn't need a Windows Active Directory server on premises any longer.

Cons

No customer service for the free licenses - I get why, but I don't have to like it. It would be less annoying if the knowledgebase was a bit streamlined better. Can be difficult to find How-To information. Usually the article is there but is not intuitive and easy to find.

Microsoft Azure and Okta

Reasons for Switching to JumpCloud Directory Platform

Way more streamlined and easier to use then Azure Active Directory. Okta I hear is great for SSO but doesn't do what JumpCloud does when it comes to LDAP integrations, at least from what I could see.
Chris C.

Everything I Need, Without the Aggravation of AD

I have been very happy with JumpCloud. I used to run an ActiveDirectory system for the small amount of users I have, and AD is so old, clunky, and often overkill. This is a lightweight solution that can allow you to manage your organization with ease using users, groups, and policies. Setting up a user in another state is just a click away on the panel.

Pros

Very simple, quick package install that takes seconds. I love that the agent runs as service with a tiny footprint. You make changes using the web console, and they propagate down within a minute. Password syncing is not an issue. Just as if you were using AD, password syncing works fast. I loved how easy it was to setup RADIUS for wireless. I had it up and running within a couple of minutes. Agent installation on our machines was either done by a small installer, or in the case of Linux, a simple copy-and-paste command pasted into the terminal.

Cons

No mobile app yet. I am hoping this will change in the future so I can make changes without having to log into the browser.

Microsoft Azure

Reasons for Choosing JumpCloud Directory Platform

AD is a pain to manage, and did not allow syncing without using a VPN. The most important thing was the cross-platform support. They support Windows, Mac, and Linux.

Reasons for Switching to JumpCloud Directory Platform

Currently not an Azure customer, and Azure did not support Linux. I love the ease of use and not having to concern myself with maintaining infrastructure anymore.
  • Industry: Insurance
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 13/08/2020

The next step in efficient IT. The Biggest change that no one will notice

Really easy to roll out and implement. Weather you want go totally cloud with someone like Microsoft or Google, or you want to do all in-house or you want Hybrid, JumpClouds got you covered.
Migrating AD accounts and the Domain joined machines they were on was done in one simple swoop, using ProfWizz and the Jumpcloud agent, the transition was seamless (and almost effortless) and the enrolment seemed almost too good to be true. But, once you get used to using JumplCloud, the alternative is less appealing. Like stepping out of a Bentley, and going into a city bus. They will both get you there, but only one does it with flair, elegance and style.

Pros

Jumpcloud is the chameleon that becomes one with any setup you throw it into.
Faster, easier and more accurate(because there is less human interaction to make those mistakes) as well as being as secure as you need it to be. With SAML 2.0, SSO and and MFA, you would be hard pressed to find an alternative so rich in features and option AND in the same pricerange as JumpCloud.
Managing users and machines over the internet as if they were on the domain. Adding/removing users, deploying scripts and software. User Account Management has made the need for VPNs and other fafferies totally redundant. Jumplouds agent will do all the lifting. You just tell it what you need. Once the user or machine checks in, the instruction is automatically actioned.

In one word: Brilliant!

Cons

There was a times when a users account that locked out took more time and effort to resolve than would without JumpCloud.

The alerting was also in need of review. Specifically, when a users account gets locked out, the process to get it unlocked could do with a tidy up.

Reviewed on 17/09/2018

Divorcing Microsoft Active Directory, married nibble SaaS and cloud simplicity

Jumpcloud has helped me move the authoritative directory to the cloud, unify sign-on and simplify end-user password sprawl.

Pros

Jumpcloud is a great alternative to Microsoft Active Directory, I've rolled out JC at several firms and enjoyed the simple to use and easy to deploy, yet powerful service they provide. A big plus is that JC is designed to be OS agnostic, so I can deliver the security, management, and scripting I need to endpoints and servers while allowing end-users to choose their preferred OS.

Cons

not much to add here, it does what its supposed to do.

Andre D.

Reviewed on 04/09/2019

Dumping the old and embracing the new!

Overall JumpCloud has been wonderful. I was able to eliminate the costs of hosting a datacenter for my client and reduced their overall IT costs by 30% or more. This allowed them to use that savings to leverage other cloud based services to enhance their entire business model.

Pros

JumpCloud DaaS helped me move an organization from an expensive hosted AD environment to a cloud based one which provides much needed security and ease of use for my registered users. Its licensing scheme was cost effective, its inherent ability to migrate users onto the platform easily was great, and its administrative portal is very easy to use.

Cons

I haven't found any cons yet. The software runs very well. Whenever I did run into issues with the deployment or setup the help team was prompt and knowledgeable.

Reviewed on 24/10/2018

Tough To Manage - Effective at it's Job

Pros

I love what jumpcloud does, it provides safety and security to our company. We really needed a way to gain control and make sure company property was protected. Having the single login to multiple services helps our employees, with only having to remember one password.

Cons

It's pretty tough to implement and control. We constantly run into issues with configuring users on new systems. Systems fall out of date and don't add/remove users as the should. It's a headache to fix. Employees consistently get locked out, as they have to set a new password every 90 days

Reviewed on 22/06/2018

I love JumpCloud - it's a very smart approach to directory services in a cloud first world

Pros

JumpCloud provides the ability to be the core directory service, easily federate with other services and provides wealth of management capabilities in a cross-platform way.

Cons

Replacing a directory service is never an easy process, so there is some upfront investment in regards to implementation.

Ken J.

Reviewed on 09/10/2019

On The Fence

The sales process was smooth, we are under the free limit because we still have a number of questions. We have a number of end points we would like to use DaaS for but until we completely understand what the abilities are and how to segment the customers we are afraid to move forward. If we can find another option with better support we will move to that option.

Pros

The concept is great. Directory as a service is what is needed as I move customers to the cloud. Once I got over the initial installation and understanding of the install process we have been successful at setting up a handful of computers.

Cons

There is a lack of training. The staff is always too busy so the idea of support is sending the user to You Tube and saying watch this. After a few months I still do not have a clear understanding of what all I can do with the product. I have integrated O365 but I still do not fully understand how the password integration works. I have watched hours of video with some nice marker board pictures and have a ton of questions.

Pete C.

Easy DaaS / iDP

Pros

Very easy to use and implement. Clearly understandable console. Excellent documentation.

Cons

Whole Disk Encryption support and management is still only in early access and does not appear to have advanced much since the original announcement a year ago.