About RetailEdge

RetailEdge is an on-premise, retail POS solution designed for small and midsize businesses. It offers mobile POS, multi-location support, website integration, credit card processing and gift card management functionalities within...

Browse RetailEdge Reviews

Eric M.

Reviewed on 02/11/2017

We have been using RE since 2007 and have been very happy overall.

It's an effective way for us to manage our inventory and reports with out a high cost. I do wish there were a userface update to be more "modern" and the ability to look up customers who haven't been here since, say, 2015.

More in depth reporting can be beneficial as well.

Pros

The affordability is nice, compared to others that I've shopped around for. We purchased our setup in 2007 and we have since added to it, and have a total of three key FOB's (2 machines, 1 backup) for our business.

I can operate the system in my sleep because I'm familiar w/ it, which makes it very hard to consider changing to another system. After digging into the features I was looking for, I found that with a modest purchase, RE can do everything that I want and need it to do.

Cons

I have asked for some features over the years that seem simple and would be useful for the wide variety of customers as well. However, I think my biggest dislike is the inability to get a beep when a negative item is scanned and we're not looking at the screen.

Example: We sell canned cat foods, and often times, we sell 24-72 of them at a time. Most of these cans have to be scanned at least once. Errors happen, and if our inventory is off or the items have arrived before being put in, there will be a negative. If you aren't looking at the screen, you'll simply not see the "are you sure" notification, which another scan of a can hits "ok"

We have trained ourself for the most part, but it would still be nice to have an alert.

Dale R.

Reviewed on 14/05/2021

Excellent Product

Oh! This has been a great experience for managing inventory and for processing sales in a professional manner. Both for the customer and cashier's experience.

Pros

I like that I have the option of Free email tech support and that updates are reasonably priced via the bronze package. The replies are always courteous and helpful. Plus, I know that I have the paid one off tech support service which I used once due to the urgency of the issue. I can't complain about the actual software because I am extremely satisfied.

Cons

I wish that I could refund a store credit via cash instead of only being able to apply it to an invoice. Sometimes, I need to refund a customer their store credit and I have to do lots of work arounds.

It would be nicer to have a totally revamped discount system. I find creating promotions and renewing them tedious. The options are adequate, but the interface is not user-friendly for regular changes... it just needs to be an easier faster process for the person inputting the promotions. Again, possibly a total revamp instead of updates. Maybe an up-loadable spread sheet would be an option as there are sometimes so many items to create promotions for that my ability to create promotions becomes frustrating.

Sara T.

Reviewed on 14/11/2019

Feature Rich, Robust & Easy to Use Store Management Software

In investigating RE, I emailed the company many, many times. I always got a prompt, complete reply that covered all of my concerns. They were patient and helped me transfer data twice, as the new computer crashed and had to be repaired, then the software reinstalled. In refining the program for my vitamin shop, they have been helpful every step of the way, often offering solutions from their own experience using RE.

Pros

-soft learning curve
-excellent reports
-feature rich
-extreme value for the price
- wicked awesome support
-easy to update inventory

Cons

- minor tweaks that may well be built in later- just getting used to another system, nothing really against RE

Top RetailEdge Alternatives

John S.
  • Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 13/05/2021

Intelligent Choice

We have now used RetailEdge for five years, and it has been trouble free, it has saved us at least $3,000.00 in lease fees for similar software, tremendous value for businesses large or small.

Pros

We consciously set out to find a retail software that was not a month to month rental, but one in which we could outright purchase. RetailEdge was one of the few products out there, but it is everything we wanted and more. The cost savings, despite the upfront costs of purchasing the software, it paid for itself in the first year easily. And has saved us at least $600.00 per year in rental fees for similar software products that only lease on a month to month basis.

Cons

Nothing, it ticks all the boxes we were looking for.

Square Point of Sale

Reasons for Choosing RetailEdge

We were literally in the stone age, for number of inventory products, inventory management, speed, we had to upgrade.

Reasons for Switching to RetailEdge

RetailEdge was a better value delivering the same if not better performance for our needs.
Joshua H.

Reviewed on 21/11/2020

Don't spend too much on your POS!

Customer service is great. I am very happy. I would recommend to others (and have)

Pros

I loved the price. But I did a lot of research before I bought. It took me months to decide. I loved that I could use my own hardware. It really does it all. The price compared to other companies is 50-70% lower with more features and no annual fees if you don't want the latest version. Room for expansion is awesome. Adding another terminal does not cost an arm and a leg with other products. To have a non-web based POS software that does it all for this price is amazing.

Cons

When you first buy it you don't get full use of the software until you talk to a rep. It would be nice just to have a license key.

Quickbooks Online

Reasons for Switching to RetailEdge

Price, features, ease of use.
  • Industry: Insurance

Reviewed on 23/10/2017

Flexible: Can be as complicated or as simple of a system that you want.

Pros

There are actually a lot of features that I like about this program. The program is "forgiving". If you make a mistake, there are lots of options for fixing your error. Voiding and reissuing a transaction is easy. You can merge items or customers if you accidentally set them up two different ways.

Also, you can use one UPC for many items using their alias feature. So, say you have a bunch of "eaches" - you only have one of that item, but you want to scan the UPC but you don't want to clog up your inventory with all of those one time items, you can add each UPC as an alias and when you scan that UPC, they are all under the same item.

To accept the "exact balance", you can just hit "+" in the payment field and it will take it as the full amount instead of having to type in the amount paid.

Cons

They took away the columns for quantity and last action date in Inventory list (unless you export). So, if you pull up the inventory list, you'd have to look at each one individually to see the quantity in stock instead of it being a column you can just view.

Sam F.

Better then most.

I am a believer in this brand constantly being updated to increase our needs. Customer support has been awesome all the time I have no overall complaints about this software.

Pros

I like how easy it is to get started using the software. I can keep track of basic info about my inventory and it has helped us grow our company from a startup to 2 locations. I like how easy it is to make reports and it does what we need it to do keep track of Lay-ways and special orders. This software is better then others out in the market even if it has less fancy reports it still gets the job done for our store.

Cons

I least like the lack of being able to keep a printer online with out it going in to sleep mode. I was told it was not a Retail Edge problem that windows was causing it but I have gotten used to my printer not working until I disconnect it and have to re-connect it to get it to print.

Khemarith K.

Reviewed on 21/10/2017

We've been using Retail Edge for over 5 years now and we are satisfied with the product!

Pros

There a few things that we like most about the software:
1. Inventory capabilities. Being able to run purchase orders based on previous sales within a specified date range is a big help.
2. Stability. The software has been fairly stable . There haven't been any major errors that disrupt any daily activities. If anything comes up, the tech support would typically come out with an update shortly after.
3. Tech Support. The tech support group has been very helpful with any issues we may have. For initial installation, they guided us via remote login and made things very easy.

Cons

I described a couple issues that we've had to the Tech Support group.
1. Currently, we have to use the exempt rule feature to apply discounts to items which are already part of a discount class.

Tim O.

Reviewed on 23/10/2017

Retail Edge was a solution that allowed us a robust, feature rich system with a low entry cost.

Pros

We love that we were able to use a lot of our own hardware, we can run remotely offline with their Island system and have multiple locations. Our budget was small, but the system affordable and delivered on our needs. We like that we can talk to someone and our Gold Support Plan allows us access to technicians when we need it.

Cons

Some types of transactions are a little restrictive, however, it may be our own lack of knowledge. We continue to learn about the software and new ways to do things. Sometimes we are just too busy to learn more about it. To this end some additional webinars would be helpful routinely where we could get some online training and ask specific questions.

Vanessa M.

Best Value and Customer Service

Great. Excellent customer service and a great well priced product. I don't know what else you could ask for. I liked paying upfront and having minimal monthly fees. Most other companies have little to no up front costs but then their monthly fees are ridiculous. I plan on being in business a long time so this made the most sense to me. Maybe if you aren't sure if you'll be around in 5 years this wouldn't be for you but otherwise you will be saving a TON of money.

Pros

No monthly fees. Powerful yet simple.

Cons

Didn't work with the shopping cart on Weebly. Not able to have Loyalty dollars instantly apply.

Korie R.
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 06/11/2020

The easiest to use and loaded with features

the customer support team was amazing, we suffered from a computer crash and the the team helped us get back up and running very quickly

Pros

We like the ease of adding inventory and products into the system which is the longest process of any system but retail edge made this quick.

Cons

the only thing we wish we could do would be to modify or have the ability to change invoice numbers

Alaina P.
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions

Reviewed on 01/12/2017

Have been using it to receive merchandise and as POS system for many years.

Pros

Ease of use, receiving merchandise and inputting POs is easy and user friendly. We've been approached to change our software system many times over the years, and no one has convinced us that they'd be better or easier to use than Retail Edge.

Cons

There are just a couple of features I wish could be personalized to my liking (mostly in terms of reports)

Peter N.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 23/10/2017

Easy to use and run reports

Track sales day to day month to month and year to year by the minute.

Pros

Detail of Reports help increase sales. We are able to track time and volume to the minute of each day. We are able to track the performance of a product.

Cons

Inventory can be confusing to set up. The product code and description. If you had simila product up we could edit would help.

Larry H.

Reviewed on 22/10/2017

From the purchase to installation the experience was awesome

excellent reporting and inventory control

Pros

It is extremely easy to use with functionality that works for my type of business and probably any retail business

Cons

Other than not being able to create a non-stock item code with a negative cost and retail amount, but I have been able to use 2 methods suggested by Retail Edge that works for my application

Peter N.
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 12/02/2019

Retail Edge reveiw

I have not find a help video on items, that would save me time on calling in for help.

Pros

Pro : use the program that fits you and Service is Great

Cons

The P.O. system is a little tricky could be easier

Con: I have not found a help video on task, that would save me time on training and calling in for help.

Emmerson A.

Reviewed on 25/10/2018

Multi-Currency

Excellent

Pros

Easy of use, easy to train staff, communication between devices is excellent.

Cons

Not able to handle multi currency at the different buy and sell rates

• Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 02/11/2017

Retail edge is really easy to use and offer great support for our customers

Happy customers and great support team.

Pros

Very simple to setup, training is good and easy user interface and ability to use in multiple locations

Cons

There is not much cons to talk about. However, cComplex receipt layouts requires a little more dedication and we

Jayne M.

Reviewed on 10/07/2018

Some wonderful features but when we had inconsistencies and inaccuracies, the team could not...

Pros

The reports are very useful. It is helpful with understanding stock, managing stock and the customer base.

Cons

inaccuracies and errors in reports that can't be resolved with support help. We found customers with balances that were not accurate and the support team could not resolve the problem.

Jeanne O.

Reviewed on 12/07/2018

Great Program with Exceptional Customer Support!

Pros

Comprehensive POS Software Program competitively priced with a one time payment to purchase. Excellent Customer Support with a hour of training included in the purchase price. Incredibly flexible and easy to use. Data stored at individual store site. No additional charges for Gift Cards.

Cons

Sales Receipt difficult to customize. Only 4 lines at the bottom of the Sales Receipt to add store policies.

Melissa D.

Reviewed on 02/11/2017

Mostly good, with a few major frustrations.

Ease of checking out customers and keeping track of inventory.

Pros

Pretty simple and explanatory interface. Not difficult to teach new hires how to use. Tech support is usually pretty speedy and efficient.

Cons

Every time there's an update with the software or with Windows 10, we have to call tech support because something becomes incompatible or switched off. Also unhappy that we started out being able to use our POS as a touch screen, and when Windows 10 became the operating system, it was no longer able to operate as touch screen, tacking on time to our checkout speed.

Some of the report functions are a bit tedious to use.

Many customers unhappy that we can't tell them how far along in the loyalty program they are without us doing some major research; wish it was just automatically tracked in their account.

Eric P.
  • Industry: Sporting Goods

Reviewed on 11/02/2019

Have Used RetailEdge for Decades!

We have been using RetailEdge since 1996ish and we've found it to be simply the best for our modest retail operation. It does everything we need it to do and the guys in tech support have been super helpful (when needed) to keep us up and running.

Pros

Able to keep track of inventory, sales, customers with ease. RetailEdge easily links to our Shopify account so inventory stays consistent on all sales channels and is actually affordable for smaller brick and mortar operations like ours. Also able to view the days sales remotely which comes in handy when away from the store and the employees are running things. Customer lists can be exported in different formats and uploaded to mass marketing service providers with just a few clicks.

Cons

Some things are kind of cumbersome, and while most things have a 'work around' just the fact we need to use a 'work around' is somewhat of a pain. Having said this RetailEdge is still the best bang for the buck even with those occasional work around's. What's a Pain?
- Can't add colors / sizes to a Matrix on the fly without exiting matrix or it causes an error.
- Multiple vendors can't be used for 1 item.
- Closed Layaways or Open Order's don't say this on receipt. (even though we've gone over it with tech support it still doesn't work).
- Would be nice to open a service work ticket which will track customer's items. (we use an open order as a workaround, but it doesn't track the items in for service, or give a due date.) Maybe offer this as a separate module like RECAP?

Elio S.

Reviewed on 15/10/2019

Former QBs user

Very pleasant

Pros

Multi location. Recon. Brendon barcode reader

Cons

I think it could have more options for credit cards processing

Quickbooks Point of Sale

Quickbooks Point of Sale

Response from High Meadow Business Solutions

Hi Elio, we are so glad you like RetailEdge! And we completely agree about having more choices for integrated credit card processing. That's why we recently added a new partner processor, CardConnect. They have a flat rate of 2.5% and $0.05 per transaction. email us if you'd like more info! -Kayla

Replied 01/11/2019
Vicki Z.
  • Industry: Food Production

Reviewed on 15/10/2019

Grocery Store POS

Disastrous initial training session - I had done my due diligence in selecting this software and got the "out of the box" training not at all customized to my existing knowledge, specific questions, or rapid turnover of perishable products.

I was advised to not select Gold Level customer support when calling for tech support, even though I pay for it monthly.

The software is solid and predictable, have had no issues with it working as designed. Tech support is friendly and helpful.

Pros

Simple to set up; intuitive design for Inventory Management.
Ability to track 100% of items.
Plenty of Customer Manager features.

Cons

Full, robust reports are difficult to access. Downloaded standard reports are pdfs or garbage csv that require cleaning up to utilize.
Functionality for labels is limited, especially for character counts and font size, a huge disappointment.
Adjustments to Sales Screen QuickList are cumbersome - a definite disadvantage to grocery seasonal stock rotations. It takes 8 clicks just to get to the search window to update/add/delete a QuickList item.

Response from High Meadow Business Solutions

Hi Vicki, thanks so much for the feedback! We are very sorry to hear your initial training session was anything less than ideal. There might be some confusion with regards to our phone-based technical support, so someone will be contacting you shortly to clear that up and to address your other issues as well. We'd love to hear your suggestions on how to better the program. Thanks again! -Kayla

Replied 05/11/2019
Vanessa M.

Reviewed on 30/07/2018

Best Value and Excellent Service

Pros

Simple yet powerful. Great support. Online forum is excellent for getting questions answered or to learn a new skill. Fantastic reports and even more functions I have yet to try out. I love how there isn't a huge monthly monetary commitment and that the software does exactly what I need it to do. You really can't go wrong. It was the best decision I made. The gentleman who runs Rings n Things recommended it and I am so glad I went with his recommendation. It is scary to put all your inventory onto one system. I started with a small store and now we are filled to the brim. I am very confident with the software and am looking forward to doing more with it when I can find the time to play with it. I am happy to talk to anyone who has any questions.

Cons

My online store and inventory are not directly connected. The printers can be a pain but that is more of a printer issue not a software issue. Also things are wonky with only one USB on most new computers. Again, the printers don't want to play nice all the time.

Nicole J.

Reviewed on 18/07/2018

We have been using RE for a long time. It is perfect for a small retail business.

Pros

It is easy to use and is awesome for managing inventory. The reporting functionality is very helpful for ordering and deciding what inventory should be discontinued or reordered. Great program for multiple locations as it is easy to see what inventory each store has so you can satisfy a customer right away with knowing we can transfer the item right away.

Cons

Two things: I would like to see the loyalty dollar part of the program a little more user friendly. Most loyalty programs accumulate in real time vs. having to batch. The other thing is having to select a payment method for gift cards before scanning the card. It would be easier if you scanned the card before the payment screen.