About GoGuardian

GoGuardian is a school management solution for educators and academic organizations to engage and monitor students. The cloud-based school technology program helps institutions to digitize the learning experience for students...

Browse GoGuardian Reviews

Michael B. Michael B.

Reviewed on 29/04/2019

GoGuardian is an acceptably good solution with some weaknesses.

GoGuardian served our purposes right out of the gate. We needed a good filter for our 1:1 deployment, with hundreds of students suddenly now having the net at their fingertips. We had other firewall based solutions, but we needed more, and something we could rely on.

GoGuardian had a social pricing scheme, more referrals cheaper pricing. This was a bit meh, but we pushed on, paying a pretty steep price.

Initially the feature set was good, but between google, and GoGuardian, some features started dropping away, like screen shots, and more. Reporting features were not-existant. We could see what we wanted, but not get a quality looking printed view, without copy and pasting and doing a lot of work. (May have changed in the newest version).

We voiced our displeasure and were given free months, and continued on. Eventually our account reps changed several times, and we were licensing subscriptions at a discount for lost features. We were offered previews of newer versions that were incomplete and unusable (nor fixed our issues). Before long we were getting sales calls from them trying to sell us a product we already license.

After a couple years of issues we started shopping around, and eventually we found a solution that has our originally desired feature set.

Pros

GoGuardian is an excellent Chromebook filter. It provides a good set of rules, easy transparency, quick settings, and almost a brainless setup.

Cons

GuGuardian is highly priced. Features get pulled out for other side packages. The software has limitations that will come to light soon. Reporting features, while visible, are not good for printing either.

Reviewed on 01/05/2019

Top tier product for content filtering and classroom management

We've used GoGuardian Admin to filter our fleet of Chromebooks both on site and off. Our parents enjoy knowing that regardless of where the device is at, the students are still protected. The reports have been very useful in working through student discipline issues and justifying our 1:1 program to the BoE / community. We've used GoGuardian Teacher to help educators manage their classroom. Teachers are able to keep a better eye on what is going on during a lesson. They can redirect students that need it with ease.

Pros

GoGuardian is incredibly easy to install. There are two extensions that need to be pushed to your devices and then you're up and running. The interface for administrators & teachers is clean and intuitive. The application allows you to block websites by category or URL based on your organizational structure. For example, you can block some websites for younger learners while leaving them open for your older students. Teachers can see all the screens of students in the classroom from one dashboard. They can close tabs, lock screen, push websites out, etc. So many ways to help manage the classroom.

Cons

The issues we've experienced most related to the device itself. We've found that if a student isn't showing up in a teacher's classroom, a quick reboot of the student device will solve the problem.

Leah G. Leah G.

Reviewed on 27/05/2021

Teacher Classroom Use of Go Guardian

GoGuardian has been very useful for not only remote learning but in person classroom management. It easily allow you to block websites from students and keep them on task. As a one-to-one device school this feature is very helpful.

Pros

I like that I can see all the students screens in my "classroom" at the same time. The chat feature is very useful during virtual learning so students can ask a question without speaking to the whole class. The announcement feature is amazing for student engagement and determining if a student is at their computer screen (student needs to click to get back to their work).

Cons

I wish that a noise was made if a student sends a chat. Teaching remote students and in person students at the same time means that I rely on noises to come back to my student if someone needs help. I also think an automatic notification that can be set up in the settings to go to students who are off task/idle.

Top GoGuardian Alternatives

Shana H. Shana H.

Reviewed on 13/01/2020

GoGuardian Makes Guiding and Monitoring Student Work a Piece of Cake

I work with younger students who are new to the school system. There's a learning curve with technology as students must log into the computers, navigate to a website, log-in again, and complete work. The scenes feature of GoGuardian dramatically cut down on lost time as it auto-populates tabs for my students and they are able to get right to work. The scenes feature also allows me to limit students to a single website, which helps when they need to complete a certain number of minutes on a program per day/week. Overall, using GoGuardian has made my students more successful with what they are doing on the computers and reduced the amount of time off task (or lost time due to confusion over how to navigate). I've recommended it to multiple colleagues and helped them set it up with ease.

Pros

Instructional videos are easy to follow.
Features are mostly intuitive.
Multiple groups/classes can be monitored at once, allowing for greater flexibility.
Scenes auto-populate tabs, reducing lost time as students figure out where to go.

Cons

Glitches are difficult to troubleshot, but seem to resolve on their own eventually.
Does not prevent students from opening installed apps and getting off-task.

Quenton B. Quenton B.

Decent Product for Cost

Overall, the software works well for what it's worth, it has flaws but isn't bad at it's job to any extent, just generally lower quality from a interface standpoint.

Pros

It works well for day to day usage and gradually improves usability throughout the years. The alerts system is fairly decent at seeing issues and reporting them to the administration in the district. Customer service is very helpful and friendly.

Cons

Several components of the software do not work or otherwise have low functionality. The product was poorly transitioned over from an old interface to a the new, more user friendly one. This causes users to have to jump between old and new to manage the software which is a bit of an inconvenience.

Don L. Don L.

Reviewed on 21/08/2019

GoGuardian

Students are getting more tech savvy with computers. GoGaurdian allows to spend more time teaching and less time dealing with students that are misusing technology.

Pros

This software lets me see the screens of my students' Chromebooks while I am at my computer. I can lock their screens and also push websites onto their screens. It ensures that students stay on task while working

Cons

It can be a little buggy. Sometimes when I "unlock" student screens so they can begin working again, several student's chromebooks remain locked and then I have to go back and give the command again. It's a minor inconvenience and the pros far outweigh the cons.

Kristin Y. Kristin Y.

Reviewed on 03/06/2021

Go Guardian

I like how it can be linked with google classrrom

Pros

I love this software because it hold my students accountable. They know I can see everything they are doing and that I will close out their tabs. Also makes it easy for me to help them since I can see their scrren.

Cons

I do not feel like there is much, if anything, that needs to be improved for use in my classroom. I find it user friendly.

Excellent Product

Pros

GoGuardian is very simple to set up in the classroom. It allows for teachers in a 1-to-1 setting to be able to help students stay on task in the classroom.

Cons

When it comes to GoGuardian, there is nothing that I can complain about.

Diana A. Diana A.

Reviewed on 21/07/2019

Love it

Pros

Able to monitor numerous students at a time. Love the alerts as well

Cons

Theres really not much to not like. Occasionally it will block a site we need our students on but it is a quick fix

Wendy S. Wendy S.

Reviewed on 09/09/2021

Perfect program for classroom technology management

GoGuardian helps ensure that my students stay on-task and allows me to track their browsing history. The program is easy to use and better than any tracking software I have ever used.

Pros

I love the real-time feedback this program offers while my students are engaging in a technology-based assignment.

Cons

I have not found anything I dislike about this program.

• Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 09/11/2020

Love GoGuardian

Pros

I like that I can see the sites my students visit, and I like that I can communicate with my students live. It is also very helpful that I can see their screen and can help them when they are having issues with a site.

Cons

I can't think of anything, but everything can always be improved.

Emmy W. Emmy W.

Reviewed on 09/10/2020

Helpful Way to See Student Screens

I'm new to the software. I used DyKnow at my old school which I found a little easier, but this works!

Pros

I like that you can see what students are doing on their devices, and you can open or close something when you need to.

Cons

I don't like that it's required to connect to Google. If kids don't have an internet tab open, you can't see anything on their screen

Lee I. Lee I.

Reviewed on 31/10/2019

GoGuardian...Not just for Chromebooks anymore

Pros

GoGuardian is very easy to use and setup and now that is for Windows devices as well, it is actually useful for our environment. I think the biggest success for me is how many students are trying their hardest to get around it.

Cons

Not all of the features are available to Windows yet. They are working on building them up but it isn't there yet.

Leah G. Leah G.
  • Industry: Writing & Editing

Reviewed on 23/05/2020

violating our privacy rights and disabling my childs education and mental wellbeing

They have already been sued by the aclu and others for privacy violations, they need to quit messing with our children.

Pros

Nothing is good about this program or company

Cons

I dont appreciate being forced into educating my child via a laptop that has completely stopped him from all education. They have also given themselves the right to supersede my rights to control what my child views and how easily he does so. Hes blocked from teachers videos and links for classwork and gmail for account verifications or classwork docs. He cant print to an outside printer or send to outside printers. but he can watch mindnumbing violence provoking irrational anger creating minecraft videos on you tube.
And did I say theyve stopped me from monitoring that activity as his mother?

Ben B. Ben B.

Reviewed on 31/08/2020

Go Guardian Review

I love GoGuardian.

Pros

I enjoy the ease of access and the ability to use the software with the huge community for support.

Cons

I struggle with some of the functionality aspects of it.

Brianna C. Brianna C.
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 12/08/2021

Effective way to monitor students

Pros

This software is great for monitoring students during remote learning. It allows us to see which sites our students our using and I love the features of exiting out of sites and freezing the screens.

Cons

Nothing, I think it is a great tool for remote learning!

Daniel D. Daniel D.

Reviewed on 05/12/2019

Great product!

GoGuardian Teacher has been a great product and is loved by our teachers. They can choose to monitor or restrict Chromebooks. We use GoGuardian Admin to monitor Smart Alerts and track lost Chromebooks.

Pros

GoGuardian gives you the ability to easily manage your Chromebooks in the classroom. It allows our teachers the freedom to teach instead of monitoring devices.

Cons

There is not much to dislike. They recently added a feature to allow Admins to log in as teachers to troubleshoot issues. That was a previous complaint that has now been addressed.

Joseph L. Joseph L.

Reviewed on 30/10/2019

Go Guardian one stop shop

Pros

I appreciate how easy it was to get up and running with full content filtering and device monitoring. THe ability to add and remove sites from the restriction lists is simple and intuitive. We also use the Teach classroom monitoring product that has made a sweeping difference in the classrooms .

Cons

the cost feels high when first deciding to use the products. but after using for a couple years i cant imagine a better implementation.

Nolan W. Nolan W.

Reviewed on 20/05/2021

Guarding Student Computers

Overall, my experience with GoGuardian has been fantastic. I can monitor my students without bothering them via looking over their shoulder. I can also be more informed as to what they are doing, how much time they spent on websites, and GoGuardian tells me what sites they visited.

GoGuardian is a great classroom resource.

Pros

The best thing about GoGuardian is just how effective it is. With other computer-monitoring programs, students had to sign into it and, usually, they had easy ways of tricking the system. GoGuardian allows me to monitor, mentor, and alter student direction on their individual computers from the ease of my chair.

Cons

Overall, there is very little that I didn't find useful about GoGuardian. As a teacher, the price was right for me (free for teachers; I am not entirely sure if my school corporation pays for it). It is also easy to use; everything is clearly marked and the rosters are already in the system.

Shawna R. Shawna R.

Reviewed on 29/07/2021

Classroom management from Anywhere

I love this product and it has made a lot of things easier in teaching, especially with students having more and more access to technology.

Pros

I love being able to see what all my students are working on/doing both in my class and at home. This made virtual learning so much easier this past school year! I love being able to message my students to check in when I know they may not feel like asking a question. It eliminates some pressure. Also, It is great to be able to take screenshots right in the program to document when students do great or are off task. The new annotation and student group features are fantastic additions as well!

I also love being able to schedule classes and automatically start a "scene" that blocks anything I do not want students on during our class session. It helps to prevent students from being off task on their device when you can't observe every screen.

Cons

The only cons I have are:
1. There is a minor delay on what the students are doing and what I see.
2. I cannot see where their mouse if if they are trying to point to something and ask if that is what I am referring to.
3. If they have the chat window open, I cannot see their work page at the same time.
4. It would be nice to be able to turn scenes off for individual students, as a sort of incentive, without totally excluding them from the session and being unable to see anything they are on.

David W. David W.

Reviewed on 14/07/2019

Eliminates Off-task tempations

Overall my experience has been great with GoGuardian! It really keeps students on task. Students are less likely to search for non-approved material knowing I have access to their timeline.

Pros

I love being able to restrict certain sites. I love being able to allow only approved sites for students to browse. This eliminates students getting off task and forces them to be only on approved sites. I also like the ability to screenshot student screens. If a student is on a questionable site, it's great to have proof in case problems arise. I also like the ability to look at a student's timeline.

Cons

I wish there was a way to block "unblocked" sites. Unfortunately some sites get through the system and appear to be google. Our tech savy students have figured out a way to play games that don't get blocked.

Kevin D. Kevin D.

Reviewed on 01/05/2019

A Must for One-to-One Schools

I cannot imagine how I would be an effective teacher without this (ever since we went one-to-one). In addition, their customer support has always been friendly and helpful.

Pros

It is always running, both at home and at school. It automatically sends alerts about any potentially harmful internet use. It allows teachers to help kids stay focused in class. It provides another way for teachers to show parents what their child is doing during class time.

Cons

I wish individual students could be put into different "scenes" at the same time, but that is just me wishing for an additional feature.

Reviewed on 24/01/2020

GoGuardian Review

Overall GoGuardian does an amazing job of not only content filtering but general work when it comes to controlling technology in the classroom and making it a productive and effective expierence.

Pros

GoGuardian is the safety net we give our student Chromebooks at my school. We have this as a way to manage what our students can see even what they should be looking at during class and outside of class. It functions really well and has the features we need for structured tech time.

Cons

Everything seems to be really easy to set up and have working I do wish I could just set preferences as a teacher and then when I had students enrolled in my class those preferences were just applied to those students.

Dillon H. Dillon H.

GoGuardian Review

Overall, I'm pleased with GoGuardain. Especially after getting past the learning curve with our teachers. I would recommend it to other schools that are need of 1:1 monitoring software.

Pros

For the teachers that use GoGaurdian to manage their classroom, it has a very easy and quick learning curve. When used properly, it works very effectively.

Cons

My biggest complaint with GoGaurdian is that as an IT Admin, I wish there was an administrator dashboard where I could edit/alter a teachers sessions. There are too many times that a teacher will have a sub, but will forget to unblock certain sites that their students need while they are away. The only way to get around this is to contact GoGuardian and ask them to edit the session.

Dita R. Dita R.

Reviewed on 23/05/2021

So valuable and getting better with every update!

I have enjoyed the ease of GoGuardian. The schedule feature is perfect and makes it so easy to launch a class and be ready when the students arrive. I have been very happy with the newest update which allows me to point to items on the child's screen. I do wish i could annotate for them on their screen, control their mouse/keyboard when they are struggling to make something work and show them my screen temporarily without setting up a separate zoom.

Pros

I love being able to see all of my student computers on one screen. I have really found this software to be helpful in keeping students on track in class.

Cons

I have had some difficulties with the "scenes" feature. If I set the scene to only allow students to access a specific website(s), often, the students will still hit a wall when they have to sign in to that website. I then have to go to each individual computer to allow them access to it.