About Melio

Melio is an accounts payable solution that helps small businesses manage online payments via bank transfers and debit or credit cards. Key features include payment scheduling, automated data synchronization, reporting, invoicing,...

3.9

Browse Melio Reviews

Devin
  • Industry: Wholesale

Reviewed on 07/11/2022

Simple and Intuitive for our growing business

They have been great to work with and support is super responsive

Pros

One thing I like about Melio is a newly released feature that allows us to pay multiple invoices to one vendor by one payment. We often had to create individual payments to each vendor separately so now we can combine into one payment makes everyone's life easier.

Cons

We had issues of the preferred payment method of payment to vendors change without us making the change but that seems to be a resolved issue.

Response from Melio

Hi Devin, thank you for taking the time to post this review. We are delighted to hear you find Melio useful and are enjoying the features we offer.

Replied 09/11/2022
Jamie

Reviewed on 17/11/2022

Melio is the best and works seamlessly with QBO

There were a few kinks at first but most of them have been worked out, the customer service is great. I have enjoyed working with them to fix issues or work out bugs. The ease of the app and ability of the integration with QBO is unprecedented and has seriously saved me hundreds of hours for each client that I handle bookkeeping for. I love how quick and easy it is, and it's all in one platform, incoming, outgoing and history. I love everything about Melio.

Pros

The fact that it is free for ACH and has the integration with QBO. It has become my go to for my clients and bill paying and payment processing. I can track all of there A/R and A/P and submit payments or receive payments with a click of a button, makes it so easy and simple. I recommend to my clients and I use it myself almost daily. I love how it gives you options, you pay the fee or your customer does, they make the call on how they want to be paid via check or ACH. It just makes sense.

Cons

The fact that the ACH option still takes sometimes 3, 5 or even 7 days to receive does put a strain on cash flow for some clients. The processing of checks also seems to take a really long time, sometimes I will get a bill in and go immediately to setup payment and it states the received date would still be after the due date which makes it frustrating at times. I appreciate the 2 checks a month for free before charging and realize it can't all be free, but it was nice when it was free. I also wish they had more business to person options, not just B2B. This would be super valuable for Non-profits to save on processing fees as well as some MLM businesses.

Response from Melio

Hi Jaime, thank you for sharing this review with us and the community! We're glad to hear you find Melio useful and easy to use.

Replied 29/11/2022
Kristen

Reviewed on 21/11/2022

I wish I could give a better review

The software has developed a lot of bugs and customer support is severely lacking. I contacted support a month ago because I get an error message EVERY time I try to process a bill payment. If I log directly into Melio I can see that sometimes it has in fact gone through. Sometimes it does not and I have to initiate the payment directly from Melio. I manually mark the bill as paid in QBO and at some point the bill payment syncs so it looks like I have overpaid every invoice I process via Melio. I then have to go through each and figure out which payment is the correct one to remove from QBO. For smaller issues, I usually figure out a workaround before I ever hear back from support.

Pros

I like that is used to sync with Quickbooks

Cost

Response from Melio

Hi Kristen, we take issues with our user experience very seriously so please know our support team has escalated your concerns to our technical team and we're actively working on a resolution. Our support team can always be reached via live chat 9am- 8pm EST, Monday-Friday and please know we are here to assist you. We will be in touch soon.

Replied 29/11/2022

Top Melio Alternatives

QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Wise Systems

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Quickbooks Online

Milena

Love it so far

Great! I am very happy with all features Melio provides and will recommend it to anyone who needs a payment processing system.

Pros

I love Melio. It is very easy to use, and really convenient. I am able to provide more services while spending less time per client. Thank you!

Cons

I had a problem with a Wire transfer once, I haven't tried it again to know if the issue was fixed. Will update when I use it again.

Reasons for Choosing Melio

Bill.com was much more expensive and provides almost the same features.

Pricing and a client

Response from Melio

Hi Milena, thanks for sharing this review with us and the community! We're glad to hear you find Melio useful and easy to use.

Vic

Melio pays

I rely on it to pay and get paid.

Pros

It's effortless to set up. More importantly it's easy for my clients to accept and adopt the software into their business.

Cons

Web interface a bit clunky for desktop users.

Price.

Reasons for Switching to Melio

Price mostly but clients seem to like it better than bill.com.

Response from Melio

Hi Vic, thanks for sharing this review with us and the community! We're glad to hear you find Melio useful and easy to use.

Replied 21/11/2022
Marialuisa

Reviewed on 18/11/2022

Great for Saving Money on Credit Card and ACH Charges

Very easy to use.

Pros

I love that there is no cost for sending my invoices and having the customer absorb the cost of credit card fees or ACH fees.

Cons

It's pretty limited and it had an issue once that I canceled a scheduled recurring payment but it continued to send payment to a vendor for months before I noticed. It did send notices via email, however so that is one me. The reason I didn't notice was because the payments were so close together, I thought the notices were the same payment. So when I got both notices, I didn't realize it was two separate payments.

Response from Melio

Hi Marialuisa, we're glad to hear you find Melio useful and easy to use. Thank you for sharing this review with us and the community!

Replied 21/11/2022
carmen
  • Industry: Restaurants

Reviewed on 17/11/2022

Melio softare is just great!

We have to process many payments per day and with Melio I was able to upload and pay our invoices timely and quickly

Pros

This software is amazing and I like it because is user-friendly, quick and absolutely efficient.

Cons

There are no cons for me! This software is absolutely adequate for our business

Reasons for Switching to Melio

Because it was very intuitive and the client support very responsive

Response from Melio

Hi Carmen, thanks for sharing this review with us and the community! We're glad to hear you find Melio useful and easy to use.

Lisa

Reviewed on 17/11/2022

Best way to pay vendors- bar none

Easy to implement, and support is great!

Pros

The full integration with in QuickBooks online makes this an easy choice for streamlined and efficient processes.

Cons

It is difficult to know exactly when a vendor will receive a payment. Should be two days but sometimes has been five days. Especially in the beginning of using the software.

Response from Melio

Hi Lisa, thanks for sharing this review with us and the community! We're glad to hear you find Melio useful and easy to use.

• Industry: Photography
  • Used Monthly for 1-5 months

Reviewed on 26/10/2022

Atrocious Customer Service

Very poor experience

Pros

Appears simple to use and straightforward. Easy to setup.

Cons

On the surface, it seems like a great software to easily accept payment by CC from clients however its riddled with issues and poor customer service.

Melissa

Reviewed on 31/03/2022

Melio helps me get my vendors paid easily and on-time FOR FREE!

Pros

Melio integrates VERY WELL with QBO. I'm able to set up vendor bills/payments with a simple approval workflow quickly and easily. My vendors can choose how they are paid (paper check or direct deposit) and I can choose how to pay them (bank account or credit card). Paying with a bank account is FREE!

Cons

I'm finding that my vendor addresses don't carry over from QBO to Melio, so the first time I pay a vendor in Melio I have to type in the vendor address in Melio, even though it's already set up in QBO. It's a minor inconvenience that I'm hopeful Melio will fix. (Their customer support is great!)

Reasons for Choosing Melio

We switched to Melio because we wanted a cost-effective way to pay vendors without printing paper checks in the office.

Quickbooks Online

Bill.com is SO EXPENSIVE
Kyle

Reviewed on 13/08/2021

Great system

It has been great, my only cons are relatively minor issues, and the system is very useful for my business.

Pros

Melio is a great payment processor, I have a much better experience with them than with their only real competition, Plastiq. While Plastiq has IRS-esque customer service, Melio really go out of their way to ensure a positive user experience. Melio is also faster at processing ACH payments, which is a huge plus.

Cons

It would be really helpful if Melio offered wire transfers, and aggregate payments (ie, charge 10k to card 1 and 10k to card 2 so as to issue a single payment of 20k). Also, sometimes compliance reviews cause payment delays. They could perhaps offer a cut off before which compliance reviews will not cause delays if the review is passed, that would make the system have more reliable timing.

Response from Melio

Hi Kyle, thank you for taking the time to post this review. We are delighted to hear you find Melio useful and that our customer support team has been able to assist you.
We do have some good news on this front already:
Partial payment options that will allow you to use multiple payment methods for a single bill and create installments are currently in development, and we hope to roll them out soon. Wire transfers are also in the works, so stay tuned.

Replied 09/09/2021
Danie

Reviewed on 01/04/2022

Melio is fantastic for bill pay, OK for receivables

Pros

Melio is super easy to set up and use. The integration is fast and simple, and works reliably. Being able to enter bills in QBO and have them in Melio, and if appropriate set up payments too so all the client has to do is approve them has been game changing for payables management and cash flow forecasting, especially for our distributed, international clients.

Cons

Melio is missing a few features. It really needs to require a W9 for certain vendors before it allows payment. It's also frustrating that it can't take pre-payments/retainers. We have clients that really need that, and other clients whose customers payments fail too often because they misunderstood that question and answered incorrectly. Overall, the A/P side is much stronger than the A/R side.

Bill.com and Ramp

Reasons for Choosing Melio

Faster, online, full details of what the transactions were. Approval processes that can be done between people in different geographical locations.

Reasons for Switching to Melio

Faster set up, better interface/UX, very bad experience with Bill.com previously.
Ryan Rey

Reviewed on 20/05/2021

Payment Solution that works

Melio has an excellent customer support and resolves any issues quickly.

Pros

We choose this product since it seamlessly integrates with our accounting software. It also allows us to send paper checks without the hassle of printing and mailing them.

Cons

There is nothing really to dislike about the software with how our company is using it right now. I do hope for a much better interface and a more informative dashboard in the future.

Kareo Billing

Reasons for Choosing Melio

It is integrated with our accounting software. No need to re-enter vendor information on Melio.

Venmo

Reasons for Switching to Melio

Melio integrates with our accounting software

Response from Melio

Hi Ryan, thank you for taking the time to post this review. We are delighted to hear you find Melio useful and that our customer support team has been able to assist you. We appreciate your detailed feedback and will take it into account as we continue to improve our product and service.

Replied 31/05/2021
merroudj
  • Industry: Computer Networking

Reviewed on 26/09/2022

fast and easy payment processing

At this point in the Melio Payments review, I can honestly say that it's worthwhile to try, particularly given that it's free. For freelancers, accountants, and small enterprises, it's a fantastic financial solution. The latter group may automate their bills or payments and handle all of their customers from a single platform.

Pros

A very tidy, straightforward, but effective tool for paying bills and invoices, Payment processing, is quite simple compared to its rivals; it is substantially more productive. This product's flawless integration with our accounting software is why we chose it. Additionally, it eliminates the inconvenience of printing and sending paper checks. Recipient changes of the payment method selected are seamless

Cons

Improved phone customer service is something I would like to see no other recommendations now. Vendors are added with their Melio links, and those vendors currently in QuickBooks should automatically connect. Now, when you do that, a new vendor is formed and is not connected to the one that presently exists in QuickBooks. Wishlist: It would be nice if there were an option to send international wire transfers in different currencies. If it is wholly linked with Wave Invoicing, it would be fantastic and allow a free connected workflow.

Beverly

Reviewed on 28/04/2022

Good unless you need a critical payment to be processed immediately

Up until the failed same-day payments, it had been a pretty good way for us to send out payments without having to get checks signed. I am very disappointed with the same day payment issues though.

Pros

It's free and can be used by the owner from his cell phone.

Cons

We had two critical payments that had to go out same day. We paid $30 to have them expedited and they both failed. Customer service could not tell me why and the issue was never resolved.

Herbert
  • Industry: Computer Hardware

Reviewed on 14/12/2020

Painless payments for painful payees

Excellent

Pros

I was able to set up payments to the very few vendors that absolutely demand being paid via ACH rather than needing to consolidate my business transactions through a software suite to make it worthwhile.
It is also incredibly affordable or free for the transactions, and there has not been problems.

Cons

There was a feature that was pretty adept at picking up an invoice PDF and setting it up as a pending bill, but the accuracy has gone down. Nothing to cry about though as I have always triple checked things!

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise and Quickbooks Online

Easier and more reliable

Reasons for Switching to Melio

No need to consolidate my business into a software package that locks you into renewals. I can switch banks, accounting software, addresses etc. and Melio is just for paying bills. No need to be all things.

Response from Melio

Hi Herbert, thank you for the fantastic review. We are delighted to hear Melio has been able to take some of the pain out of making business payments - it's what we're here for. We would also like to thank you for your feedback which we will pass along to the team.

Replied 20/12/2020
Jonathan

Reviewed on 31/03/2022

Why use Melio with QuickBooks

Excelleent

Pros

The built-in integration with QBO and QuickBooks Desktop allow easy flow from invoice entry to payment. The ability to schedule to send either ACH or Check within QuickBooks is critical to our workflow. If we don't have the ACH info the ability to request it securely from the vendor is great

Cons

No batch payment, the ability to pay more than one bill with a single payment would be a great addition. Also showing how credits are applied to a bill would be extremely helpful. We send a "bill & applied payments" to our vendors so they will know. Just an extra step that we would like to eliminate

Jason
  • Industry: Media Production
  • Used Monthly for 6-12 months

Reviewed on 15/12/2020

A Cut to the Chase Solution

Customer service is second to none. You really get the sense that the people speaking to you care about the product and care about how you are using it. I've had several people reach out to me just to make sure everything was okay and that we were getting the most out of the product. The interface needs a little work to make it easier to use, feels a bit clunky at times, that and the other things listed above are some issues that need to be incorporated in but other than that we love using Melio for our needs.

Pros

Melio is a great product we recently had the opportunity to discover. I was very impressed at how easy it integrated to our accounting in Quickbooks. This is the main reason I found it so vital in our operation. Before we started using Melio there never really was a great solution for paying people by different means. We had some vendors who wanted printed checks and still others who preferred an electronic payment. Melio makes it easy for your company to pay people safely and quickly.

Cons

I have to say I really like the software so far but there are a couple of items I would really like to see and these items almost stopped me from deciding to use the product. First, the paper checks really need an overhaul to look more professional and branded from a specific company. I've had freelancers who wonder if the check is legitimate because it doesn't have our logo or they can't see that it's coming from us. Paper checks definitely need some work...also, the ability to run a simple payroll out of Melio wold be helpful so that you can eliminate printing checks in your office completely. It would be nice to be able to simply pay employees through Melio as well as freelancers. I know that there are work arounds, but we need a dedicated way to pay employees added.

Response from Melio

Hi Jason, thank you for posting such an amazing review. We are very happy to hear you find Melio's various payment options useful and that our service is able to save you time and hassle. Also, thank you for your valuable insights into our product - we will pass them along to the relevant teams.

Replied 20/12/2020
Aaron

Fantastic Product

My overall experience with Melio has been a positive one. We have multiple locations and the approval process on each invoice being processed has been seamless.

Pros

The ease of set up and implemenation on this software is outstanding. The immediate synch with Quickbooks has been a time saver.

Cons

This software was free when we started using and now is charging per transacation. I am not a fan as part of our attraction to this software was no fee.

Cost

Response from Melio

Hi Aaron, thanks for leaving this review. We're happy to hear you are finding Melio useful and easy to use. To clarify, our new check fee covers printing, postage and handling. There is also an additional layer of security to sending checks with Melio - your bank details are never on the check, helping protect you from fraud and check forgery. Please note, our ACH bank transfer feature remains free of charge.

Replied 10/11/2022

Best Software For Any Business

Amazing!

Pros

It is very intuitive, and the integration with QBO makes AP and AR processes efficient and automated. All that with a low price makes this a win win for any business.

Cons

I would like to see more integration with other accounting software platforms like QB Desktop, Xero and SAP.

Response from Melio

Hi Andrew, we're so happy to hear that you find Melio useful and easy to use. Thank you for sharing your review with us and the community.

Replied 09/11/2022
Adam

Reviewed on 29/01/2020

Melio for Wine Retailers

See above.

Pros

-ability to use credit cards to pay distributors via ACH
-ability to earn triple points on Chase INK Preferred card since Melio is categorized as "shipping" for Chase. Don't mess around with this!
-syncing to Quickbooks invoices
-itemized credit card transactions with distributor name; easier for bookkeeper
-wonderful and responsive account rep - [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] Smart
-simple interface

Cons

THINGS TO ADD:
-importing vendor credits from Quickbooks to Melio
-ability to partially pay an invoice
-ability to sort invoices by date, vendor, due date, amount, etc.
-need to clearly display which store/account I'm logged in under; I have two stores and I have to click my name in the bottom left to see which store I'm logged in under

ISSUES/IMPROVEMENTS:
-better communication with accounts receivable departments at vendors; a lot of companies have Melio and have no idea what it is, don't trust payment, don't tell sales reps, etc.
-improve the speed of emailing of payees after payments are made; there is a lot of confusion if/when a payment is made
-Code for bonus categories for AmEx and Barclays business cards
-Create an Android app
-Find a way for credit card payments to hit vendors' accounts at open of business next-day
-offer promotions to be more competitive with Plastiq. Currently, Plastiq offers tens of thousands of dollars every month with 1% fees. They also only charge 2.5%...
-Find a way to make COD payments easier or more trusted with alcohol vendors

Sue
  • Industry: Entertainment
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 30/06/2021

Invoice

Outside of the invoice problem, I can't find fault.

Pros

I like the ease of use. I also like that it offers what PayPal doesn't...I can allow my clients/customers to pay using their credit/debit card without having to create a account. Thats what I'm looking for, at an affordable price...melio got it

Cons

in order to complete a transaction the client/customer will have to add a invoice....ummmm...thats NOT going to work. I will loose money like that. Tried sending a message...NOONE is there to respond. Time to move on to a competitor

Response from Melio

Hi Sue, thank you for taking the time to post this review and provide us with valuable input that will help us make Melio even better.

Replied 05/07/2021
George

Reviewed on 23/12/2020

Great Software

It has been great overall: saves me a lot of time, great price point, and customer service has reached out to me numerous times to tell me about new functions and to check in.

Pros

The ease of use is incredible. I simply drop one of my invoices into the software and generate a check within seconds. So much easier than writing checks by hand. Melio has saved me hours in productivity.

Cons

I would like more integration into Quickbooks. Also, sometimes when you drop a new vendor's invoice, the software doesn't read it correctly.

Reasons for Switching to Melio

Price point and ease of use.

Response from Melio

Hi George, thank you so much for this wonderful review and for your important feedback. We are so happy to hear Melio is making your life easier and saving you valuable working hours - it's what we're here for! We will pass your input along to the relevant teams and continue to work to make our service even better.

Replied 27/12/2020
Dan
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Great product!

It's been excellent! It's a key part of my work with multiple clients!

Pros

It's easy to use and inexpensive. When needed, the customer service is excellent.

Cons

It would be useful to have the ability to pass on the $1.50 check fee to vendors who refuse to use an electronic payment option.

Lower price.

Response from Melio

Hi Dan, thanks for sharing this review with us and the community! We're glad to hear you find Melio useful and easy to use.

Mary
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Reviewed on 19/11/2022

Great Product for small business owners

I've recommended Melio to all small business owners that I've met across the board and utilize it for all 5 of my own companies. This helps me so much in terms of organization and cash flow.

Pros

I love that I can control cash flow easily using Melio - it will remind me about when bills are due, I can easily see what I have outstanding, search for paid/unpaid invoices by vendor and plan out when my bills are best paid.

Cons

I would love to add an entry area to specify the difference between "delivery date" and "due date".

Response from Melio

Hi Mary, thank you for sharing this review with us and the community! We're glad to hear you find Melio useful and easy to use.

Replied 22/11/2022