About QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

QuickBooks Enterprise is an accounting solution designed for SMBs across different industry verticals such as construction, nonprofit distribution, manufacturing, and retail. With QB Enterprise solution, any business owner can...

4.1

Browse QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise Reviews

19,898 of 19,895 reviews
Jackie
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 28/12/2022

Great Accounting System if you know accounting

Overall the product is great - I do feel like you need to have some sort of an accounting background to really get good use of the program itself. I also wish quickbooks would stop updating the platform or make it similar to the accountants version - as I have been on both sides and its difficult to help a client when their view is different.

Pros

I do feel like the software is fairly easy to use and has a great customer facing interface. It has everything that you need accounting wise like p&l reports, balance sheets, bank feeds and more.

Cons

I feel like on the business aspect they should add some other features that are currently on the accountants only versions like reclassify transactions and undo reconciliations and journal entries. They also update frequently and some things seem to be harder to find.

kelvin
  • Industry: Animation

Reviewed on 23/12/2022

QuickBooks is Fast, Easy to use, Simple to Integrate, and price is moderate

i think the support is as easy to work with as I would like, compared to some of the competitor.

Pros

QuickBooks software was built with the user experience in mind and is easy to import , export out of and directly integrate with certain platforms.

Cons

The price is a bit moderate along with the competition, so technically its okay. However, I don't consider this a negative because is obvously good to pay for something you know it worth it. And i just found out that QBO to have better features and a better reputation as a whole.

Jeleel
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Accountant

Pros

One of the best software I have ever used for this job since I started

Cons

Nothing but the free version should be developed

Top QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise Alternatives

veneisha
  • Industry: Investment Management

Reviewed on 23/10/2022

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise provides me with the tools that my business need to streamline finances, inventory and other operations. Quick book has now made it easy for my business to adapt to the software in acheiving specific needs. QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise has also offered variety of exqusite features, including: financial reports, inventory management, order management, and customer and vendor tracking. This was the comprehensive solution that i was missing for my business. I highly recommend QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise for businesses of all sizes.

Pros

I like the software because it is very versatile and can be customized to fit the needs of my business. The software also has a lot of features that are very impactful, such as the ability to track inventory levels and sales trends.

Cons

Its robust customer relationship management (CRM) capabilities can help you keep track of your customers and their interactions with your business. However, I find its interface to be a little cumbersome.

Sisam
  • Industry: Food & Beverages

Feedback

It is very useful easy and faster with more fonsong. And more secure

Pros

It is really good software for small business

Cons

I like the most sales report, and products scaning

Chidi

Reviewed on 02/01/2023

Ease of use

Overall, I don't plan to stop using QuickBooks.

Pros

Even the most inexperienced users can easily figure out how to utilize it. It's great that it interfaces with other programs and apps, too.

Cons

I occasionally have to restart the software after it freezes up in order to get it back to working. The necessity of doing that is quite unpleasant.

Obaid Akhter

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

My personal experience with it is awsum

Pros

QuickBooks Enterprise make a good relation between both clients and accountants. This is helpful in small business as well. Easy to use for all team members also its much accurate and friendly user.

Cons

The Training and Education, supportive, user capacity, backup facility, larger files can easily be use and finally wide permission range.

Microsoft Excel

Havasan

Quick Books desktop

Saves me so much of time compared to previous software. Business has seen more profit than ever before.

Pros

Outstanding product super easy to use will definitely recommend.

Cons

Great features. Absolutely easy to use. Intergration process was simply.

Sowe
  • Industry: Oil & Energy
  • Used Monthly for 1+ year

Super User Friendly !

I think it is a great App! Very helpful and user friendly. Great for small to medium size businesses and self employed.

Pros

It's brilliant for small to medium bussiness. It makes accounting and book keeping very easy . Super helpful .

Cons

It would be great if Quick book can recognise auto transactions what category each payments are and integrate with more banks directly .

Vuyiswa

Reviewed on 07/01/2023

QB taking small, medium businesses by storm

Bookkeeping is one of the most important aspects of any business and QB has helped navigate through it so perfectly.

Pros

This software eliminated the need for me to repeatedly pull a number of ledgers or spreadsheets, putting everything at my fingertips. As a result of its ease of use and the fact that both accountants and clients may communicate data simply to one another, Quick Books Desktop Enterprise is one of the most popular business software programs worldwide, also figuring out how to use it properly, creating quotations, delivery notes, and invoices became much more efficient. Once your company's information and inventory are loaded into the software, navigating everything becomes much simpler and saves me a lot of time because I don't always have to type everything out by hand, save it to file, and then e-mail, information is saved onto the software.

Cons

Access to the software and its functionality requires a monthly or annual charge from users. It's possible that not everyone may find this useful, especially businesses that are small, with a tight budget. The constant need to only use a desktop.

William
  • Industry: Business Supplies & Equipment

Reviewed on 27/10/2020

Quick Books is Perfect For Small to Medium size Businesses

I think quickbooks is a great accounting software for Medium size businesses such as ours its quick and very simple to use i find it very efficient when a customer needs a quotation or invoice urgently i can send him all the relevant information in less than 5 minutes overall i think its a great accounting software and its definitely the best at saving time

Pros

I enjoyed the simplicity of quickbooks once i learnt how to use the softare properly doing quotations ,delivery notes & invoices become much more efficient than using Excel once all your company details & inventory is loaded into the software doing everything like quotations & invoices are just two clicks and its done it is very time saving as i do not always have to type out everything manually save it to file and then e-mail , everything is saved onto the software all i had to do was add my customer e-mail address and i could e-mail quotations & invoices straight from the quickbooks software which was very quick and efficient

Cons

I disliked that we were limited to the number of users that can use the software at the same time once three or more people were logged the software would throw us out of what ever we were working on

Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Very simple to use and its quicker than typing everything into excel and having save into my hard drive take up space. With quickbooks i know everything Is saved to the software and everything is there when i need it
Jane
  • Industry: Publishing

Reviewed on 13/12/2019

Worth the price tag

I started out learning QuickBooks on the desktop version for a previous job, and the software has come a long, long way since then. The online version is well organized, easy to use, and in the three years I've been using it I've never run into a single glitch.

Pros

QuickBooks online gives me one place to track everything related to money for my small business: income, expenses, taxes, and payroll. It's easy to set up and use, and I like knowing that even when I'm not paying as much attention to some of the bookkeeping as I should, it's still being tracked for when I have time to get to it.

Cons

It's a little pricey and the help/FAQs aren't always that helpful, but those quibbles are greatly outweighed by how easy and useful it is.

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

At least at the time I made the switch, FreshBooks didn't support expense tracking or tax software integration.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

One of the things that makes QB worth the price tag is that it includes *everything* a small business needs. Rather than having to track income, expenses, taxes, and payroll in separate places, everything is linked and organized in one place.
Belasco
  • Industry: Building Materials

Reviewed on 11/04/2022

Quivk Books desktop Review

Quickbooks has helped me keep track of my account books in one place therefore reducing confusion. I have intergrated the software with my other softwares like hubspot. The software enables me send my clients more professional and easy to understand quotations. However i have had problems with their phone support team, they are not easily accessible when there is emergency on the software. In a nutshell quickbooks software is a must get especially if you want to scale your small business up.

Pros

QuickBooks has a variety of features that supports small and medium businesses and it allows up to 25 users.

The software can intergrate with more than 500 business apps and softwares.

QuickBooks has a friendly user interface which makes it easy to navigate through its dashboard.

QuickBooks gives a 30 day free trial version which gives you a test drive of the software before deciding to subscribe.

Enables you to keep all your books of accounts in one place.

Cons

The price has been increasing throughout the years.

Less automated as compared to online version which takes more time.

Their phone support is not efficient and sometimes they do not assist by phone hence forced to migrate to online version which facilitate a quick live bookkeeping.

Does not facilitate split transactions and auto sales report hence need to migrate from desktop to online version.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

The simple looking dashboard of freshbooks looked too simple and unprofessional to me so psychologically i assumed QuickBooks was the best choice. I can safely say i do not regret the choice.
Antonio

Reviewed on 02/01/2020

Best Accounting Software for SMBs

With Quickbooks I can see the overall health of my business. I can track my expenses, sales, inventories, financial reports and other vital information for intelligent decision making.

Pros

The thing I like most about Quickbooks is its completeness. For a small to medium sized business one gets to have a user friendly accounting and inventory system all rolled into one. Add to that its customizable reports suited to ones needed data. Some of these reports which are very vital to a business owner are Daily/Weekly/Monthly and even Annual Sales Report, Inventory related reports, Expenses Reports, Accounts Payables and Receivables, Banking and many more.

Cons

Like any software, or for whatever product that is, Quickbooks also have some flaws. Personally, I would prefer the customization of forms to be more flexible where the user can have more control. An example of this is the addition of additional fields aside from those that are built-in. Another thing i don't like about Quickbooks is its limitation on the number of items and the size of its company file. In a previous company I worked at, I have reached the maximum number of items, thus I was faced with deleting some items, and those items had transactions connected to them. Finally, I suggest Intuit increase the maximum company size because in my experience, when I reached the maximum company file size, the system totally lagged big time.

MYOB Advanced Business

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Quickbooks was more user friendly for me and I like its user interface versus MYOB. Well Quicken wasn't for me, it was mainly intended for accountants and basic accounting processes without inventory module.
Audrey

Reviewed on 14/01/2021

Great Cloud Solution

After moving my records and my clients record to QBO it has progressed smoothly and I don't think I can ever go back to my old desktop programs.

Pros

I like that I have the option to do small task on my iPhone and being able to access my clients and my own businesses account from any device if I'm away from my office. I really like that my clients and I can work on their companies books in real time together over a Video or audio call.

Cons

The biggest con is if your internet and cellular service is unavailable leaving you with no way to make your deadlines. It's happened.

FreshBooks, NetSuite and Xero

Reasons for Choosing QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

I tried to move from Sage 50 Accounting to Sage one, which later became Sage Business Cloud Accounting. I followed the outlined steps (which initially required a Microsoft Business Subscription) and moved as the programs progressed, but at the time what they were trying to do wasn't ready and support was very lacking.

Reasons for Switching to QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

After reviewing my options QuickBooks seamed to suit my needs best.
  • Industry: E-Learning

Reviewed on 14/06/2022

QuickBooks is Quick and Easy! (I would definitely recommend it!)

This has been a game-changer is organizing my receipts!

Pros

I use QuickBooks for my two self-employed businesses and really love it. The first thing that I really like about QuickBooks is that it integrates with other softwares that I use. It is a part of the Intuit suite of softwares including Mint and TurboTax, and it also works with Square. The software has a user-friendly interface. I like that you can upload pictures of your receipts and attach them to each expense. No more worrying about your paper receipts fading or being misplaced. PRICELESS!! They also have a mileage tracker, which is super helpful. Of course, you can run important reports like Profit & Loss and your Balance Sheet. Quickbooks has also gotten into banking, and you can set up an envelope system for your business expenses. They offer several price points that are not that expensive. I would definitely recommend this software.

Cons

The hardest part about Quickbooks is just getting into the habit of reconciling your books. I do this myself, but you can hire a book-keeper to do it for you. They have a list of local Quickbook savvy bookkeepers in your area.

Naomi

Reviewed on 28/07/2019

Not for entry level

It has definitely helped our business stay in compliance. Most CPA’s use this software so it’s an easy way for them to access our information. It has not been an easy software to learn but it’s worth it once you do.

Pros

Once you tailor it to your business and get familiar with the features it can be helpful and stress free. Knowing I’m staying in compliance puts me at ease as well as having one spot I can go to to access all my info.

Cons

It is not user friendly. You can’t just purchase the software and try and “figure it out” on your own. I had to have training from my CPA and it has taken years to fully feel comfortable with it....and I STILL have questions! I also don’t like having to transfer the file back and forth with my cpa which means I have to wait on him to get anymore work done.

Response from Intuit

We appreciate you being a part of our QuickBooks family over the years, Naomi! It's wonderful to hear our software has helped you stay at ease by knowing you're in compliance and all your data is in one spot. At first it can be tough to figure out how to use all the features available and like you said, you can still have questions even when you're comfortable. If you ever need to know how to do something, we recommend checking out our Community page for self-help articles and discussions with your peers, as well as access to our support team: (https://community.intuit.com/quickbooks-desktop). Also, if you're not already, it may be easier to share your file with your CPA by using our Accountant File Transfer Service (https://community.intuit.com/articles/1760628). This allows you to continue working in your books and apply their changes when they're done.

We hope this information helps and wish you continued success!
Jen, The QuickBooks Team

Replied 01/08/2019
  • Industry: Telecommunications
  • Used Daily for Free Trial

Reviewed on 04/12/2021

Quickly impressive!

To summarise its an incredibly attractive & useful product, both for sole traders and Limited companies. It's great value for money and can save a huge amount of time and headaches.

This is particularly evident when you consider it as an interest in something that will without a doubt save you time, and may even lessen or cut your bookkeeper expenses totally.

In view of that, I've have no problems in suggesting Quickbooks. Start with the 30-day trial to completely evaluate whether or not it meets your specific needs.

Pros

First and foremost, keep in mind that this is a product with a long history. The parent organization, Intuit has been creating expense and bookkeeping programming beginning around 1983.

They are a US organization however adjusted Quickbooks for the UK market and duty framework in 2014.
Quickbooks is one of the main bookkeeping programming arrangements with more than 624,000 endorsers in 2014 (a figure liable to have risen). Once more, that simply adds to the entire trust and security component.

The greatest benefit of utilizing Quickbooks is the time and stress it will save you. When you're fully operational you'll see how effectively you can keep all of your bookkeeping records forward-thinking. It truly turns into a breeze.

Also the biggest advantage is that you're no longer shackled to your desk! saving your opportunity to develop your business. All of that for only a couple of pounds a month implies it truly is an easy decision and one of the best choices you'll make when maintaining a business.

Cons

Nothing is perfect and to guarantee a decent Quickbooks review it's vital that you're aware of the disadvantages too.

Right off the bat, similar to any product, it's somewhat flawed. There are some reviews on Trustpilot surveys of individuals encountering technical issues. Regardless of whether that is with connecting bank accounts or individuals simply doing something wrong. However it's frustrating when such things happen.

However, to alleviate that, Quickbooks do have a pretty responsive tech support team. There are a huge number of surveys that describe the supportiveness and persistence of the Quickbooks customer service team. So it's reassuring to know that should you encounter a problem, they'll assist you with tackling it rapidly.

The other negative worth focusing on is that with any product there is an expectation to absorb information. You'll have to invest some time figuring out how to take full advantage of its capabilities. Fortunately, Quickbooks make it relative easy with instinctive plan and design and a lot of tutorials and help material.

Reviewed on 01/10/2020

Small business person's perspective of QB Pro 2019 and prior

Overall, fairly positive. Bit stressful if don't understand newly added form questions or when upgrading to a newer release

Pros

Being able to quickly design a reusable invoice template, quickly setup new customer profiles and get invoices printed to PDF and emailed out using a laptop computer was enormously helpful, especially during business travel times before Covid-19 struck. The e-Filing feature (form 941,etc) also eliminated having to make post office trips. The biggest benefit was that the accounting firm I work highly preferred using QB backup files to transmit company info, so they could immediately get to work on tax forms for me.

Cons

There are occasions when:
(1) On screen forms change, which require the user to "know" what is meant by a vague phrase (that a non-accountant would be confused by). Making some of the text into a hyperlink to popup a clarification would be helpful and easy to implement, without cluttering the screen with detail that others don't care to see.
(2) Sometimes, I have already filled out a quarterly IRS 941 reconciliation form. Then while in the middle of e-Filing it, QBooks suddenly tells me it cannot proceed because I should have downloaded new forms updates. If it had instead proactively checked during my filling out the form to start with (because I spent 15min filling it out), that would have made more sense than waiting until I was finished and sending it out.
(3) Each time the software becomes obsoleted in 3 yrs, it just locks up. I usually get an email a few months before offering a discount to upgrade...but not actually advising a date when the software will lock and become inactive. Adding a deadline to the email would be appreciated. Each time our QB checks for updates on the Intuit server, that is an opportunity to capture our release# and base your mass emailings on a data extract which includes the end of life date for that release#.
(4) When upgrading to newer versions, there is no way to selectively exclude outdated vendors + trxns.

• Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 13/06/2018

Quickbooks works well on its browser and desktop app, but loses functionality on mobile app

Helps with data entry for businesses using it for tax purposes.

Pros

I have used this software using both Windows and iOS. The functionality is similar on both operating systems, but the ease of use and accessibility to features varies more with how you access it.

Web Browser:
-All features are available
-Ease of data entry

Desktop App:
-Most, if not all of the features easily accessible via web browser are readily available
-Ease of data entry and in my opinion, it is superior to using the software via web browser
-Faster login than using a web browser or the app

Mobile App:
-Ease of on-the-go access to the software

Cons

The biggest issues with this product are with the mobile app, in terms of functionality and accessibility to needed features. In general, the common issue across all platforms is the ability to edit vendor names/customer IDs. This is a huge problem for when you realize you have accidentally created multiple spellings of the same vendor. There is no option to merge the data together under a single, correct identifier.

Web Browser:
-Website often freezes
-Logging in can be a hassle sometimes, especially with two-factor authentication enabled

Desktop App:
-Susceptible to crashing if you are entering data too quickly

Mobile App:
-Extremely limited functionality compared to the web browser and desktop app
-The mobile app, in particular, forces you to fill in certain fields not required when accessing the software via web browser or desktop app, which can make for a frustrating and time-consuming data entry process

Response from Intuit

Thanks for the thorough review, and I'm happy to address each of the accessibility issues you mentioned. You can merge duplicate customer/vendor profiles in the browser or desktop app, and an overview of how is found at https://community.intuit.com/articles/1145424. Additionally, you can disable 2-factor authentication (https://community.intuit.com/articles/1338460), cutting down on browser login hassles. If the website is crashing or slow to load, I encourage you to clear cache with these steps: https://community.intuit.com/articles/1145697. Cache is widely known to cause performance problems, but clearing that data is an easy fix. The same issue occurs in the Desktop App, which may explain the crashing. To clear app cache, select Help > Reset App Data. The functionality of the mobile app is constantly being improved upon, and you can check for product updates at the QuickBooks Blog: https://intuit.me/2L2zqTv. Should you have questions, please let me know.

Replied 13/06/2018
Kianja

Reviewed on 21/10/2019

QuickBooks, Not Just For Professional Use

Pros

Both QuickBooks Desktop and QuickBooks Online are very easy to use. They can both be customized to fit your companies business objectives. I love QuickBooks online for the convenience of accessing your accounting information from anywhere. I think that being able to login and download your financial transactions is very convenient for a small business owner. It is as simple as reviewing which category (or account, which it is known as within the software) the transaction is assigned to. If you do not have the transaction assigned to the correct category when it is initially downloaded, you can change this within the software in a few clicks. The best part is that QuickBooks Online will remember which category you assigned to the transaction. So, they next time you download transactions from the same vendor, QuickBooks will recognize the transaction and automatically recall the category you assigned the last time.

QuickBooks Desktop does the same as QuickBooks Online. However, the beauty of QuickBooks Desktop is that you can create as many "Company" files as you want. I put the word company in quotation marks because you can also use this software to manage your personal finances. Although this is not what the software was created for, the fact is that if you manage your personal finances like a scaling business, you will have a better handle on living within your means. QuickBooks Desktop makes this very easy to do.

Cons

I am not a huge fan of paying a monthly fee. While I like QuickBooks Online, I am not a fan of possibly paying an increase in monthly cost at any given moment. I also don't like that the mileage tracker is not readily available on the higher versions of QuickBooks Desktop (Starter, Essentials, and Plus).

Response from Intuit

Hey there, Kianja. Thanks so much for your thorough review. We love hearing how much you've enjoyed using QuickBooks and how helpful each version of the software has been for your business. You can count on us to have your back for all of your accounting needs for years to come! To find out more about ways we're working to improve the software and offer even more functionality to you, we recommend checking out our Blog: https://intuit.me/2L2zqTv

Cheering you to continued success!
Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Replied 28/10/2019
Yelena
  • Industry: Mechanical or Industrial Engineering

Reviewed on 30/11/2021

QuickBooks for Succu

Easy to follow instructions, many features to run your business smooy

Pros

QuickBooks is a great software for anyone. It’s easy to use and you are not required to be an account to use it. It’s also compared to other softwares fairly cheap

Cons

Some critical fields are missing but you can always buy additional add-on. Annual fees are also a con but it’s not too expensive.

NetSuite

It was a lot cheaper

ProNavigator

Price

Response from Intuit

Thank you so much for taking a moment to leave a review, Yelena!

We're so glad to hear that QuickBooks Desktop is working seamlessly for you so far.

Yes, you're exactly right! QuickBooks Desktop can integrate with several different 3rd party Apps/programs that offer additional features that may be helpful for what you're needing. To take a look at what's available, you can visit: https://desktop.apps.com/home

If you need anything else or have any other questions, please feel free to get in touch with our QuickBooks Desktop Support using the (?) Help icon in-product!

All the best!
-Faith, The QuickBooks Team

Replied 02/12/2021

Reviewed on 22/08/2018

The Desktop version is better than the online

Pros

Desktop - it's easier to have multiple screens open, but can only do one company at a time (online, you can use different browsers to open multiple companies). Has a lot of functionality. The only other thing that is better about the online version (imho) is being able to easily log in remotely - BUT, if you don't do it frequently enough (and randomly) you'll need a verification code.

Cons

Does have an intercompany feature. The online version doesn't allow multiple screens open at once. If you decide you want to cancel your online membership, getting your historical transactions off of it is a challenge. I wish that they still allowed recon of sales tax. Online doesn't give a "fee" and "Interest income" fill in for recon'ing each bank account. There is no listing for any asset/liability accounts that haven't been recon'd or a report showing the last date it was recon'd.

Response from Intuit

Thanks for this review. Your loyalty to QuickBooks is valued, so please know we're proud to be backing your business.

While I have your attention, it'd be my pleasure to address the Cons you mentioned. As a start, you can open multiple windows/tabs of the Online software. This Community-hosted article outlines the details (community.intuit.com/articles/1456006), and I encourage you to explore the space more when you can. Our multi-function Community database also doubles as a Q&A forum, so jump into the convo anytime you have questions.

Further, you can download your historical data and save it in spreadsheets if you decide to cancel. The info at community.intuit.com/articles/1254966 explains the process, but I'd be happy to pass your suggestions about interest income, flexible sales tax, and alerts about reconciled accounts to the engineers for review. We use your ideas as inspiration and default to it when developing new tools.

Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Replied 27/08/2018
Lyn
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 10/10/2018

For the Beginner

I would and have recommened this software to many different people for different situations as its user friendly, easy to navigate and has some great custom report features. I run a small local non profit and have been using QB for over 13 years with no intentions of changing to any other service.

Pros

What I like most about this software is the ease of use. They make it very simple to enter customers and vendors along with invoices and/or bills. Then posting the payments and reconciling the accounts. You can use one piece or all the different capabilities, that is your choice as they do all work together.

Cons

The thing I like least about this software is the troubleshooting. You have to have the exact title or phrase of what you've done wrong to find solutions to help you. I typically only do internet searched for assistance and have not used the call in system. That might actually help me more but I'm impatient and typically don't want to wait

Response from Intuit

Thanks for reaching out with your comments, Lyn. I'm delighted to read we're doing our part to provide a wide variety of capabilities in an easy to use package. We're proud to be backing River Cities United Way, so rest assured we've got you covered when it comes to support.

As an alternative to calling in, I encourage you to reach out to the product experts who monitor our social media channels. You can find us on Facebook (Intuit QuickBooks) or Twitter (QBCares), and our chat reps would be more than happy to be of assistance. As an added benefit, you can expect quick responses anytime within their hours of availability (M-F from 8 a.m. until 10 p.m. EST). We're just a message away when you have questions, and they can lend a hand with finding the solutions you need.

Thanks a ton for your 13-year loyalty to QuickBooks, by the way! I'm wishing you and your non-profit continued success, and a wonderful rest of your week ahead!

Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Replied 15/10/2018
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 10/10/2018

QuickBooks is Useful for Small Businesses

Overall, my QB experience has been very positive.

Pros

Once I got the hang of QuickBooks, it was very useful. In general I like it and it makes accounting relatively easy. One caveat is that I am an attorney and I have to do relatively complicated trust accounting in QuickBooks. I found it extremely difficult to figure out how to properly set things up initially to do all of this correctly in QuickBooks. I would say it was the single thing that caused me the most stress in the first two years of my law firm. However, with the help of a couple of third-party books, and some online guides from third parties, I finally was able to figure out how to set things up properly, and once I did that things ran pretty smoothly. I still have my own little "guides" that I have written for myself to remind me of all the steps to do different tasks - but even having to follow those guides, QuickBooks is reliable and quick. I really like how quick and easy reconciliation is. As an attorney I am retired to do reconciliation for the trust accounting - with QB it is so easy that I generally do reconciliation once a week as opposed to once a month, and this really gives me the peace of mind to know that everything lines up. I do like, in reconciliation, that QB is able to almost always accurately tag items to their appropriate transactions/accounts so that I just have to click that it is correct. I am able to set up QB to automatically download backups of my company file to cloud backups like OneDrive and DropBox, which is great.

Cons

QB occasionally tags things wrong in reconciliation - for example I have a trust account where client funds are held before they are earned and a separate business savings account, and they both earn interest. When I earn interest on both accounts, however, QB consistently tags them both as interest on my trust account, which is incorrect. Also, QB does not allow for more complicated splitting of transactions. I have a third party payment processor (LawPay) and on one occasion I received funds from a client and processed a partial refund to a client on the same day. In my trust account, however, this only processes as a net deposit. There is no way in QB to split this transaction into both a partial refund to one client and a payment from another client, so when I do reconciliation this transaction consistently pops up (it has been doing this for over a year), so in EVERY reconciliation I have to just ignore it. This is annoying. Also, QB online does not have all the functionality I need for law firm trust accounting, so I had no choice but to go with the desktop version. I would have liked to have had the option of using the cloud version so that I could more easily use the software on my desktop and also on my laptop while traveling. Instead, I can install the software on my desktop and my laptop, but I can't really use the software on my laptop and have it sync - rather my laptop is useful if I need to recover my file and then switch to using my laptop only.