About NCR Counterpoint

The NCR Counterpoint solution includes an e-mail marketing tool, integrated e-commerce, mobile alerting, built-in gift card and customer loyalty programs and hardware specifically designed for the retail environment. The NCR...

Browse NCR Counterpoint Reviews

Kevin W.

Reviewed on 09/02/2017

Small Retail Operations

Our experience with NCR was great! Opening our first retail B&M was quite the challenge and NCR was able to help us with multiple tasks on one convenient platform. NCR featured all of the essentials. Time clock, multiple employee log-in, built-in CRM program, inventory management (I'll cover this more), and several other retail functionalities. We did not use many of the restaurant features as they were irrelevant to our operations. From memory, NCR Support was helpful and friendly, although the MAJOR issues we had took so long to fix, that we chose a different POS company in the long run.

Pros

Convenient UX, Desktop Retail Management, CRM, Time Clock with Reports, Inventory Management with 6 Week Moving Average and Several Reports, Quickbooks Online Integration

Cons

Overall untrustworthy Inventory Management! We had SEVERAL issues with NCR not recording a decrease in inventory after the sale. At the time, there was not a Purchase Order / Receiving framework. No transfers between multiple locations.

Charlie M.
  • Industry: Industrial Automation

Reviewed on 06/11/2015

NEW VERSES OLD

Pros

FAIRLY EASY TO LEARN IF YOU CAN GET THROUGH ALL THE SCREENS. THER ARE A LOT OF GOOD FEATURES, LOTS OF GOOD INFORMATION JUST NOT IN THE FORMAT YOU WANT SOMETIMES.

Cons

WHAT SHOULD BE ON ONE SCREEN IS BROKEN DOWN TO 4 OR 5 CAUSING LOTS OF LOST TIME. AND THE SCREENS DO NOT SHOW THE WHOLE LINES WITHOUT MOVING COLUMNS EACH TIME AND IT DOES NOT SHOW THE WHOLE DESCRIPTION OF PARTS UNLESS YOU GO ZOOM EVERY TIME. THERE SEEMS TO BE NO ONE TO LISTEN TO THE PROBLEMS SO THEY CAN BE CORRECTED ON UPDATES. WE USED THE OLD COUNTER POINT FOR 15 YEARS IT NEVER GAVE ANY PROBLEMS AND WAS VERY USER FRINDLY. THE OLD COUNTERPOINT WAS SO MUCH EASIER TO READ THE SCREEN IT HAD LARGE PRINT AND A GOOD CHOOSE OF BACK GROUND COLORS, EVEN THOUGH WE GET BIGGER SCREENS THE PRINT SEEMS TO GET SMALLER. WHY DO PROGRAMS ONLY USE A SMALL PART OF THE SCREEN THESE DAYS INSTEAD OF THE WHOLE SCREEN AND MAKE THE PRINT BIGGER.

Deanna S.

Reviewed on 24/03/2016

It has been a road

Pros

I purchased Counterpoint software in 2000. In 2006 I upgraded to SQL Counterpoint. I have a small Christmas store so keeping up with inventory is very important to me. I think it was in 2006 I open my web page with counterpoint called CPOline because the website and pos were interfaced so if I was out of stock in the store, I was out of stock on the web site. In August 2015 I started looking into the new website with counterpoint called NRO because it is mobile friendly were CPOline is not. Along with that I was looking at the new CC machine because of the chip cards. It was very costly to change CC machines with Counterpoint. So I started shopping around for a different POS system. I downloaded a demo, I was shown other demos online and you know what happened? I discovered that I had the best POS on the market. I already knew how to use it (didn't have to relearn a new POS system) and they are very expensive (mine was already paid for) I looked until February 2016. That is when the light went off and I started working on getting my new website up and going. And I went to Heartland Credit Card Company and have a machine out side of my POS so I can take the new chip credit cards. But I am using Secure Pay through Counterpoint for my website.

Cons

The thing that I like least about this is...it is hard for me to do updates myself. I like to be able to do all the things I need to do and this software is not real friendly that way. It is a big software and does lots of good things. Has tons of reports. I just found a new one the other days after working on it for 15 years. The other thing is you need to have a good partner that knows this software. I have had two real bad ones but I think I have finally found a good set of partners.

Top NCR Counterpoint Alternatives

John G.

Reviewed on 14/06/2011

We are a retail pet supply store on the island of Maui (Hawaii), in business for 38 years.
As our business grew and our database included 10,000 SKUs, the program we had been using became increasingly slow and problematic, actually causing many errors that tech support could not figure out. Our supplier (and tech support) were based in San Diego, a three hour time difference, another problem in itself. It became obvious that we need to research other companies and other POS systems.

We decided that the time had arrived to shop within our own state, and were fortunate to meet with Francis of Computant in Honolulu - different island, but same time zone- important for "across the sea" support.

Our first impression of the Counterpoint POS system was "VERY EXPENSIVE"! However, after spending time with Francis and his team and watching them demonstrate the features, we could see the incredible speed and flexibility, which were money-saving features to offset the initial cost. We were sold!

Francis, being the congenial, persuasive gentleman that he is, soon had us upgraded to all new equipment, including the Radiant Touchscreen registers. His installation team of three highly competent individuals flew to Maui on the day we went "live" for the installation and training. It turned out to be one of our busiest days of the year, which made it very hectic, and somewhat stressful, but his team was truly fantastic! We were up and running smoothly on day 1.

Our sales contract included a number of hours of tech support included, and we were taken care of immediately with any and every bump in the road. They continue to have superior customer support, at any time of the day.

Having been in business for 38 years, the complexities of inventory control only seem to increase, particularly when we are across the ocean from our suppliers (7- 20 days lead times). Customer buying trends change faster than ever as new products enter the market continuously, and customer relations became ever more important to cultivate. Counterpoint makes these much more manageable. Purchase orders and receiving are simplified. Our sales staff love the ease of touchscreen cash registers (originally intimidating).

The program seemed very complex, originally. After the initial learning curve one begins to better understand the "flow", and today I am amazed at the fact that we continuously find new ways to use the software to our advantage. We are able to modify the touchscreen buttons from the back office at any time, adding or deleting buttons as needed.

If time and information are money, this program is the way to go!

Rebecca G.

Reviewed on 20/01/2015

CounterPoint is one of the most functional POS software on the market

Pros

CounterPoint and RCS, to me, are like the cream and sugar in my coffee (and I've gotta have my coffee fix every day). I can't imagine CounterPoint without RCS! What is coffee without sugar? RCS is there for you every time you need them or just have a question!
I'm a systems administrator who has been effectively using CounterPoint SQL for more than 2 years now. CounterPoint is one lean, mean calculating machine; it has made a day and night difference in our daily business routines. With CounterPoint, we are so much more efficient and effective, 100% of the time.
RCS supports this product so well that they came out to our first Go Live store deployment to make sure we were ready and set to go. At the Go Live, we hit the ground running and haven't looked back. Counterpoint SQL with RCS leading the way has made all things possible, including making our working lives so much better! The reporting has saved store managers valuable time and freed them up to allow them do more in keeping the daily operations under control. Accounting knows what is going on at any given moment, and Retail management has seen such an overall improvement in the way our business runs and functions. They just keep expanding and using CounterPoint for more and more.

Cons

There isn't anything to not like about either RCS or CounterPoint.

Beth P.

Reviewed on 11/10/2012

First, an explanation on ratings. I would have given it five stars for Ease of Use, except that I am a new user and am still learning my way around the system. That said, it is easy to figure out how to do certain tasks, but when I can't figure it out, their customer support is top notch.

We are a small farm that produces approximately 1,300 gallons of maple syrup each year, and we raise alpacas for their fiber. Our farm store is stocked with maple syrup and maple goodies, plus an inventory of alpaca products, from yarn to apparel to accessories.

I went with CounterPoint, v8.4 because it is affiliated with NCR, a major corporation that has been around a long time. The implementation team at Radiant Systems was excellent. I had the system installed on my laptop, and so far it is working great. As a new user, I am still learning how to do certain tasks, and the project team has continued to hold my hand until I have mastered all the basics. We're almost there....

It is too early to tell how I have benefited from the system, but I am looking forward to comparing my holiday retail season to last year, when I had little time to enjoy the holidays and limited resources to control my inventory.

CounterPoint allows you to add on modules, such as integrated website management, gift card processing, scheduling and ticket sales, etc. RCS outsources these modules to other companies so they can focus directly on the point of sale functionality and improvements and assure that the modules work properly with CounterPoint.

Lastly, RCS invited me to their users conference, which I highly recommend to any user of this POS program. The informational sessions covered all kinds of topics to better use CounterPoint, and it included sessions on retailing strategies that I found very helpful. RCS is truly a class act.

Andy S.

Reviewed on 29/06/2015

Counterpoint is a Remarkable Product!

Pros

We have been using Counterpoint for 2 years now, our experience has been positive on all levels of our organization. Our accounting team, retail operations, and our Information Technology team have all had enormous successes with installation, training, reporting, etc. Bank card processing is secure, easy to implement and maintain. Cashiers catch on very quickly, customers love the ease of use.

Cons

Negatives are minimal, seems as if support sometimes is a bit slow in coming, some of the SQL database configurations pose a bit of a challenge, but overall satisfaction remains high.

Sean K.

Reviewed on 01/09/2011

My Company recently made the switch to CounterPoint Enterprise SQL 8.4 and would like to share my experience with Radiant Systems. We have been in business for over 50 years and have had several different POS systems and CounterPoint has been the best system by far. Implementing a new system is never easy but with the help of OneStep Retail Solutions this has been the easiest and the quickest implementation I have ever done.

There are so many POS systems on the market finding the best fit for your business is a very difficult decision. Kevin McAdams and Jay Shore with OneStep Retail Solutions took the time to learn our business needs and recommended CounterPoint as the best solution. After using the system for over a month now I am glad I took their advice because this is a great system.

The CounterPoint Gateway for processing credit cards is very fast. The touch screen terminals make ringing up customers quick and easy. The ability to customize searches and change the information displayed through the column designer makes looking up the information a breeze. The reporting is equally fast, flexible and easy to use for all of our staff members.

Blythe Franks, our business analyst from OneStep Retail Solutions has played a key role in making this transition from our old system to CounterPoint. Her experience and knowledge of the product has made implementation and integration of the system quick and easy. With her insight we were able to customize CounterPoint to meet all of our business needs making our company more efficient than ever.

Sean Kinney
IT Manager
Hi-Time Wine Cellars

Elie S.

Reviewed on 05/07/2015

Great experience

Pros

Centralized database is great experience for who own many businesses and access remotely is great feature for IT dep.

Cons

If the network is down, it is a pain to work with the software.

Abdullah E.

Reviewed on 09/11/2016

Amazing, just needs a tweak to be perfect

I love the inventory features, truly has a great interface thats almost as easy to use as an iPhone. I love the customer service features that help you remember your customers, market to them, and even get them some loyalty points. Adding and editing items and prices in your inventory are really easy to use and makes scanning and identifying simple. As for the value, I wish that it either had a lower price for the small or first time businesses or at least add extra free features to help them get off the ground.

Pros

The easy to use interface, simple as an iPhone.

Cons

Price.

Kalah H.

Reviewed on 09/12/2016

NCR Silver Review

I like all the back office features of NCR, there's actually more features than we will use for our small tobacco shop, but I like that they are there if we ever decide to implement them. NCR offered to input all of our inventory for us, but we decided to do it ourselves so we could become more familiar with the software. At times I wished we had just had NCR input our inventory because it did take awhile, but I feel like I have a better handle on a lot of the features now.

The checkout process is simple, it's easy to look up an item without a barcode, and it's simple to apply discounts.

Mary R.

Reviewed on 16/01/2013

Nona Ruth's is a new table top retail gift shop. As a part of our star up we were in the market for a user friendly, robust point of sales system that would free up as much time as possible for taking care of our customers while at the same time providing as much info as possible to help us manage and grow our business. Just as important was the support and backup available from the provider.

We spent considerable time and effort evaluating every provider we could scare up.
CounterPoint and their local representative, Image Business Systems, has more than met our needs. The software is well designed, the initial training and start up effective, and the ongoing support very responsive.

We whole heartedly endorse CounterPoint and if you are looking in the Birmingham area, suggest you save yourself time and effort and go directly to Image Business Systems.

Jackie J.

Reviewed on 23/12/2014

NCR software

Pros

I like their history and reliability. They are continually making updates and fixes.

Cons

Sometimes there are bugs, and incorporating the software internally can be challenging.

Ron P.

1.5
Reviewed on 05/06/2013

The product is OK at best. Their support is lacking and they will charge you for everything they can. Training is expensive, and unless you get Renee during your support calls, your probably won't get a resolution in a reasonable time frame. I use Counterpoint for a gun retail store in Daytona Beach FL "Volusia Top Gun". Please feel free to contact me regarding this system. I have had it with this system and their support. The Bound Book software they offer is even worse!

Gary G.
  • Industry: Restaurants
1.5

Reviewed on 06/11/2014

Software is useless if it can't get implemented

Pros

The best thing about our POS is Secure Access and being able to dial in from anywhere

Cons

There are too many to list. They were two months late on installation. It's been four months now, and all of the contracted features still aren't implemented.

Chance D.

Reviewed on 21/07/2015

i thought that the system was very good when it was working properly.

Pros

Its very straight forward and nothing is hidden. I was able to pick up how to use everything on my first day.

Cons

It can be cery slow and laggy at times. Also it smetimes freezes.

Edward theodore T.

Reviewed on 31/07/2018

Shelton T.

Reviewed on 02/07/2015

Slow and Lackluster Software

Pros

Easy access to data stored in databases. Not much else.

Cons

It is very slow and doesn't intuitively go from area to area for typing, doesn't have an easy way to search custom things from previous tickets.

Tim S.

Reviewed on 08/10/2018

Lars C.

Reviewed on 21/07/2015

NCR Counterpoint: An Invaluable Tool...A Work In Progress

Pros

The NCR Counterpoint is simple enough to understand and use on a daily basis at the workplace. It takes only a day to learn all the basics of functionality (from a general retail store perspective) and about a week to develop familiarity with the software. The interface is clean and easy to see & navigate. It is also simplistic in design and doesn't add too many unnecessary bells & whistles. It works most of the time and works great for my needs and the needs of the company. It seems at least manageable to service when encountering technical difficulties.

Cons

Sometimes can be a computer/memory resource hog. Would experience slow-downs, lag, stuttering, crashing and glitches...sometimes due to the company's network, but other times it seems the fault of the software. Still some recurring bugs to figure out. Still does not have a fail-safe feature to protect counterpoint tickets from being lost forever during a software crash.

• Industry: Sporting Goods

Reviewed on 31/12/2020

Great Software For Point of Sale

Counterpoint made our inventory and POS terminals simpler and more efficient.

Pros

Counterpoint has been great for our point of sale and inventory system. Simple ways to do most everything and extremely easy to get people up and trained on the system.

Cons

Any regulation related tracking is very poorly put together. Routinely updates are pushed that force us to have violations with the ATF and it rarely gets fixed. They promise to build it compliant but have yet to deliver anything that doesn't cause more headache then its worth.

Reviewed on 28/04/2016

Review of NCR Counterpoint

My company uses Counterpoint for computer hardware and software retailing. We've been working with Counterpoint for many years now and I have to say it gets the job done and has met our needs.

Pros

It does what we need to do, it's easy to add different items into inventory and we have it linked to our website so that customers can see how much we have in stock too based off of our inventory count. It's very easy to work with.

Cons

It's slow at time and can glitch out at points, often we're able to fix these issues ourselves. I feel like there is a lot going on in Counterpoint, but then again our company doesn't use every single feature offered.

Greg S.

Reviewed on 16/08/2011

We operate a marine wholesale distributorship, along with a retail operation. Our three sources of revenue are store traffic, phone orders and Internet orders.

Our previous software system, while specific to the marine industry and bundled with features we sorely miss, was unable to integrate e-commerce, point of sale, and shipping functionality. The time we spent dealing with each order on three different levels was time-consuming, and also allowed for the introduction of errors.

We are currently running version 8.3.9 of CounterPoint, but will be upgrading to 8.4 as soon as the season slows this fall. The implementation experience was choppy, to say the least, due to a reseller that wasn't up to speed on the software. This hiccup notwithstanding, we were able grasp the basics and run with it.

We have been using CounterPoint for just under two years now and the watershed moment was when we switched partners nine months into the project. Our reseller's knowledge of the system and ability to teach us its functionality have allowed us to move forward at a rapid pace. The program is easy to use, and a common logic follows through the system so even when playing with new features, the desired result is easy to achieve.

Our current partner could stand to be slightly more responsive, especially to issues I consider to be very basic requirements in a system of this size and power.

We are currently 95% integrated with UPS WorldShip. The only thing holding us back from 100% integration is CounterPoint's inability to receive tracking numbers back from WorldShip without cumbersome export and import of data, or utilizing a third-party program. We are currently investigating CPOnline with the hope of having full vertical integration by January 1, 2012.

So far, we have been able to streamline sales, shipping & purchasing with more good things to come!

Kelly L.

Reviewed on 15/09/2015

Great People, Great System!!

Pros

I love that the system is easy to use and to learn. The people that you work with are very helpful and quick to respond to any problems you might have. Most of our issues have not been "problems" they have been issues of not knowing how to do something. They immediately remote in and fix/show you how to work the system.

Cons

I haven't found anything that I dislike about this company or their product.

Martin G.

Reviewed on 21/11/2016

Perfect for Starting Entrepreneurs!

I had just started a facebook page for my online e-commerce store and wanted a site and a pos system to take orders! I did not want to pay for cheap software and have to open source code the rest for myself nor did I want to pay over the top price and have features that I did not know if I would be able to use just yet with money I know I do not have right now. I just needed to take payments online, keep in contact with customers, and look professional all at the same time!

Pros

Professionalism in customer service, which is better than cheap junk software and never having IT help you, may as well buy a cheap car to break down on the freeway the next day.

Cons

At first, I was concerned on the price, which did present a problem for my small new business however it quickly paid back for itself in value and investment!