About NCR Counterpoint

The NCR Counterpoint solution includes an e-mail marketing tool, integrated e-commerce, mobile alerting, built-in gift card and customer loyalty programs and hardware specifically designed for the retail environment. The NCR...

3.6
3.7
3.6

Browse NCR Counterpoint Reviews

Reviewed on 14/06/2011

We are a retail pet supply store on the island of Maui (Hawaii), in business for 38 years.
As our business grew and our database included 10,000 SKUs, the program we had been using became increasingly slow and problematic, actually causing many errors that tech support could not figure out. Our supplier (and tech support) were based in San Diego, a three hour time difference, another problem in itself. It became obvious that we need to research other companies and other POS systems.

We decided that the time had arrived to shop within our own state, and were fortunate to meet with Francis of Computant in Honolulu - different island, but same time zone- important for "across the sea" support.

Our first impression of the Counterpoint POS system was "VERY EXPENSIVE"! However, after spending time with Francis and his team and watching them demonstrate the features, we could see the incredible speed and flexibility, which were money-saving features to offset the initial cost. We were sold!

Francis, being the congenial, persuasive gentleman that he is, soon had us upgraded to all new equipment, including the Radiant Touchscreen registers. His installation team of three highly competent individuals flew to Maui on the day we went "live" for the installation and training. It turned out to be one of our busiest days of the year, which made it very hectic, and somewhat stressful, but his team was truly fantastic! We were up and running smoothly on day 1.

Our sales contract included a number of hours of tech support included, and we were taken care of immediately with any and every bump in the road. They continue to have superior customer support, at any time of the day.

Having been in business for 38 years, the complexities of inventory control only seem to increase, particularly when we are across the ocean from our suppliers (7- 20 days lead times). Customer buying trends change faster than ever as new products enter the market continuously, and customer relations became ever more important to cultivate. Counterpoint makes these much more manageable. Purchase orders and receiving are simplified. Our sales staff love the ease of touchscreen cash registers (originally intimidating).

The program seemed very complex, originally. After the initial learning curve one begins to better understand the "flow", and today I am amazed at the fact that we continuously find new ways to use the software to our advantage. We are able to modify the touchscreen buttons from the back office at any time, adding or deleting buttons as needed.

If time and information are money, this program is the way to go!

Deanna

Reviewed on 24/03/2016

It has been a road

Pros

I purchased Counterpoint software in 2000. In 2006 I upgraded to SQL Counterpoint. I have a small Christmas store so keeping up with inventory is very important to me. I think it was in 2006 I open my web page with counterpoint called CPOline because the website and pos were interfaced so if I was out of stock in the store, I was out of stock on the web site. In August 2015 I started looking into the new website with counterpoint called NRO because it is mobile friendly were CPOline is not. Along with that I was looking at the new CC machine because of the chip cards. It was very costly to change CC machines with Counterpoint. So I started shopping around for a different POS system. I downloaded a demo, I was shown other demos online and you know what happened? I discovered that I had the best POS on the market. I already knew how to use it (didn't have to relearn a new POS system) and they are very expensive (mine was already paid for) I looked until February 2016. That is when the light went off and I started working on getting my new website up and going. And I went to Heartland Credit Card Company and have a machine out side of my POS so I can take the new chip credit cards. But I am using Secure Pay through Counterpoint for my website.

Cons

The thing that I like least about this is...it is hard for me to do updates myself. I like to be able to do all the things I need to do and this software is not real friendly that way. It is a big software and does lots of good things. Has tons of reports. I just found a new one the other days after working on it for 15 years. The other thing is you need to have a good partner that knows this software. I have had two real bad ones but I think I have finally found a good set of partners.

Stephanie

Reviewed on 16/06/2015

Product is great - customer service is AWFUL.

Pros

The software has great functionality there are a lot of bells and whistles if only you had documentation to see how it works. With no documentation you are forced to return to the re-seller time and time again for every single question.

Cons

The documentation is terrible. The user forum is truncated to one year of comments and not monitored by NCR, so there is no answer to requestions. You must go through your reseller for everything and without documentation that means you will be calling them a lot. This is the NCR model to drive consulting to their resellers.

For example, we installed version 8.5 on brand new hardware. It took 8 days to install the software on one brand new pc running windows 8.1 Pro. We watched our reseller install/uninstall/reinstall/uninstall again dot.net and other windows files on the pc. We watched them edit our hosts files time and time again. We paid for a hardware team to come in and look at our new hardware. Ultimately, we had to totally re-install windows on the machine to make it work after all of their playing.

And then the ISC250 device which will make you pin and chip compliant for October. Six weeks after purchase it is still not installed. There is no documentation and we are again at the mercy of our reseller who are researching the problem.

Top NCR Counterpoint Alternatives

QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Lightspeed Retail

Rebecca

Reviewed on 20/01/2015

CounterPoint is one of the most functional POS software on the market

Pros

CounterPoint and RCS, to me, are like the cream and sugar in my coffee (and I've gotta have my coffee fix every day). I can't imagine CounterPoint without RCS! What is coffee without sugar? RCS is there for you every time you need them or just have a question!
I'm a systems administrator who has been effectively using CounterPoint SQL for more than 2 years now. CounterPoint is one lean, mean calculating machine; it has made a day and night difference in our daily business routines. With CounterPoint, we are so much more efficient and effective, 100% of the time.
RCS supports this product so well that they came out to our first Go Live store deployment to make sure we were ready and set to go. At the Go Live, we hit the ground running and haven't looked back. Counterpoint SQL with RCS leading the way has made all things possible, including making our working lives so much better! The reporting has saved store managers valuable time and freed them up to allow them do more in keeping the daily operations under control. Accounting knows what is going on at any given moment, and Retail management has seen such an overall improvement in the way our business runs and functions. They just keep expanding and using CounterPoint for more and more.

Cons

There isn't anything to not like about either RCS or CounterPoint.

Greg

Reviewed on 16/08/2011

We operate a marine wholesale distributorship, along with a retail operation. Our three sources of revenue are store traffic, phone orders and Internet orders.

Our previous software system, while specific to the marine industry and bundled with features we sorely miss, was unable to integrate e-commerce, point of sale, and shipping functionality. The time we spent dealing with each order on three different levels was time-consuming, and also allowed for the introduction of errors.

We are currently running version 8.3.9 of CounterPoint, but will be upgrading to 8.4 as soon as the season slows this fall. The implementation experience was choppy, to say the least, due to a reseller that wasn't up to speed on the software. This hiccup notwithstanding, we were able grasp the basics and run with it.

We have been using CounterPoint for just under two years now and the watershed moment was when we switched partners nine months into the project. Our reseller's knowledge of the system and ability to teach us its functionality have allowed us to move forward at a rapid pace. The program is easy to use, and a common logic follows through the system so even when playing with new features, the desired result is easy to achieve.

Our current partner could stand to be slightly more responsive, especially to issues I consider to be very basic requirements in a system of this size and power.

We are currently 95% integrated with UPS WorldShip. The only thing holding us back from 100% integration is CounterPoint's inability to receive tracking numbers back from WorldShip without cumbersome export and import of data, or utilizing a third-party program. We are currently investigating CPOnline with the hope of having full vertical integration by January 1, 2012.

So far, we have been able to streamline sales, shipping & purchasing with more good things to come!

Claudette

Reviewed on 04/05/2018

NCR Counterpoint is a robust, reliable and user friendly software

Good software for retails businesses as well as workplace cafeterias.

Pros

1. Wide ranging functionality with reliability
2. Easy to upgrade
3. Error messages provide solutions
4. Easily queried database
5. In built Export and Import options

Cons

1. Forms customization not inbuilt
2. Database size limitation with SQL Server Express
3. There are extensive setup options so implementation of several modules may be tedious.

Erick
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 02/07/2015

Counterpoint works for the most part

Pros

The sales terminal is easy enough for new employees to get accustomed to.

Cons

Inventory searching. Interface of lists are walls of text. It becomes rather tiresome sorting through customized search queries.

Marcus
  • Industry: Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing

Reviewed on 02/07/2015

Simple to use easy to learn.

Pros

The easy to use interface makes it easy to work with.

Cons

It has some issues from time to time but they're compatibility server issues.

Reviewed on 21/04/2016

Nothing very special

It gets the job done, but not in any way that really sets it apart from the other POS systems I have tried. Additionally our IT team seems to have a hard time getting any new features rolled out

Edward Theodore

Reviewed on 31/07/2018

Kelly

Reviewed on 15/09/2015

Great People, Great System!!

Pros

I love that the system is easy to use and to learn. The people that you work with are very helpful and quick to respond to any problems you might have. Most of our issues have not been "problems" they have been issues of not knowing how to do something. They immediately remote in and fix/show you how to work the system.

Cons

I haven't found anything that I dislike about this company or their product.

Sandy

Reviewed on 13/06/2011

Bark N Purr is a pet supply business that focuses on cats and dogs. In the last 6 years, we have implement 4 different POS systems. Two of them were actually unusable due to flaws in the software. These systems also did not have all the capabilities we were looking for - specifically eCommerce and better ordering tools.

We decided on CounterPoint v8.3.9 because of its eCommerce integration and ordering flexibility. The system was very user-friendly and took very little time to train my staff on basic Ticket Entry, inventory maintenance and receiving. In fact, I think most of the staff was a little bored during the training because the software is so intuitive.

The ordering capabilities are outstanding. During this recession we have seen a shift in our business from one foot to another. Prior to CounterPoint, we established Min/Max quantities for each item. Ordering with Min/Max meant that these levels had to be constantly reset as our business changed. We now use a combination of Days of Supply and Min/Max which has greatly reduced the amount of time spent on orders.

Our support has been excellent with most problems are resolved immediately. In fact, the only thing I do not like in CounterPoint is the report structure using multiple lines for each item. I find the reports difficult to read and waste paper.

Erik

Reviewed on 17/06/2011

Overall, we're very happy with our purchase. From an point-of-sale perspective, it's very friendly. The back-office portion has some minor frustrations but has shown steady improvement. The important thing is that it met our requirements at a price point we could manage. Our integrator (Rapid Domains) has done excellent work at reasonable rates.

We do have one significant area of concern - like most software vendors, Radiant would like to increase their recurring revenue streams. In many areas where they provide additional services, this is appropriate. An example would be e-mail marketing. However, when they want to charge a monthly fee to have our system mine our data and send us e-mail alerts - I'm referring specifically to their Point of Sale Real-Time Alerts - we feel that's taking advantage of our somewhat locked-in relationship with them. It's not an end-of-the-world issue with us, but it raises suspicions that Radiant may heading towards more revenue-minded treatment of its customers than we've seen with other vendors.

For this reason, while CounterPoint SQL does handle our needs well, we can only give a cautious recommendation of the product and Radiant Systems.

Fatimah
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 14/11/2016

Great for starters!

I was juggling and running out of time with which POS system to use for my online fashion business. So many options but I don't know why my heart didn't feel right on them.
This was my first POS system and it had everything I needed!

Pros

Helped me remember my customers for all
Our specials and coupons.
Made us look extremely professional when taking their orders and payments online!

Cons

It may be too much to ask but since it has given me a lot, I've become bold, but essentially to integrate social media like a Facebook shop or instagram

abdullah

Reviewed on 09/11/2016

Amazing, just needs a tweak to be perfect

I love the inventory features, truly has a great interface thats almost as easy to use as an iPhone. I love the customer service features that help you remember your customers, market to them, and even get them some loyalty points. Adding and editing items and prices in your inventory are really easy to use and makes scanning and identifying simple. As for the value, I wish that it either had a lower price for the small or first time businesses or at least add extra free features to help them get off the ground.

Pros

The easy to use interface, simple as an iPhone.

Cons

Price.

Gary

Reviewed on 17/08/2011

We have been using CounterPoint software for over 10 years. The solution serves the retail environment well - it is easy to use and easy to teach new staff to use. Radiant has continued to develop it to meet the new world of Internet sales and marketing. I love the fact that our online store integrates into our retail database. As a result, we only have to worry about one set of data that updates to our website with two easy clicks.

I also have to say that customer service is very good. Our CounterPoint reps, Sandy and Kevin, are super. Sabrina helps us maintain, develop and keep up our website, and she is terrific. They are responsive and helpful, and really try to help us understand and solve problems. The online help portal is also good, and teaches as well as solves problems.

Overall, I would recommend CounterPoint to those who need a point of sale system, and/or Internet software that is very sophisticated in capability, but remains easy to use.

Mary

Reviewed on 16/01/2013

Nona Ruth's is a new table top retail gift shop. As a part of our star up we were in the market for a user friendly, robust point of sales system that would free up as much time as possible for taking care of our customers while at the same time providing as much info as possible to help us manage and grow our business. Just as important was the support and backup available from the provider.

We spent considerable time and effort evaluating every provider we could scare up.
CounterPoint and their local representative, Image Business Systems, has more than met our needs. The software is well designed, the initial training and start up effective, and the ongoing support very responsive.

We whole heartedly endorse CounterPoint and if you are looking in the Birmingham area, suggest you save yourself time and effort and go directly to Image Business Systems.

• Industry: Consumer Electronics

Reviewed on 27/04/2016

Counterpoint

Overall I think this software is very good but it has its flaws like anything else. I'd recommend it to others though. Many times it does some funky things like freezing or didn't connect to servers but that is not too commen anymore.

Pros

Usually very easy to navigate
Simple
Easy

Cons

Freezes sometimes
Feels outdated
Lags a lot

Reviewed on 22/09/2011

We are a retailer of firearms and just found out we are the first guinea pigs to use Counterpoint SQL 8.4.3. Since firearms are a regulated industry, they are always serialized. We purchased the bound book module to facilitate tracking the acquisition & disposition of firearms. In general, I do not find the system intuitive from a laypersons perspective. I can ring up a sale. However, receiving trade-ins on guns doesn't work.

We can't take consignments. Serial #s are missing from the bound book table. Our VAR is too overwhelmed to speak to us for entire days, bringing our business to a standstill. There is a substantial list of fixes that have been submitted to the programmers, and no timetable has been given for when they will be completed. Meanwhile, our business is limping along.

Software is supposed to make your life easier, so you can run your business. It has made our life harder, and we are losing business because we are spending so much time dealing with constant problems with the system. I have to hand-write labels for our firearms because the software cannot accommodate what we need to print on the label. We have paid about $30K for a system that we are totally frustrated with, and no one will get back to us as to when things will be fixed.

Ronetta

2.5
Reviewed on 23/10/2013

We are a retail gift/novelty/tobacco store that has used this software for eight years.

This software is expensive, tech support is very expensive, and in our experience, tech support charged us even for informing them of bugs and glitches. When we tried to enter tax codes on loyalty cares for Missouri, they went against the Department of Revenue codes, but our understanding is that there is no way to fix it. There is no way to easily track consignment sales. The software would not print Z tapes on receipt paper, but only on 8x12 paper with the margins cut off. There is not a SKU lookup that employees can access without seeing costs of goods. There is no way to print small barcodes unless you print them on butterfly labels and waste half of them. The software does not come with a manual. The help button didn't work half the time. The Crystal Reports feature does not work.

It was a very expensive program, and the cost is ongoing. You have to pay subscription dues yearly for the software and a call to tech support is always a significant charge, which we had to pay even when we didn't feel the issue was resolved.

Alisha
  • Industry: Apparel & Fashion

Reviewed on 10/12/2016

Love the inventory features, truly has a great interface thats almost as easy to use as an iPhone. I love the customer service features that help you remember your customers, market to them. The text to cell phone alert is very helpful especially to keep my employees on time!

Reviewed on 12/09/2015

Takes too much time to customize and setup.

Pros

Extremely customizable. has a lot of flexibility but be prepared to spend lots of time setting it up

Cons

Need a full time programmer to keep things running.

Dustin
  • Industry: Museums & Institutions

Reviewed on 15/09/2016

Counterpoint

Pros

Can't think of anything in particular that I like.

Cons

The system is not user friendly and the reports and help are not intuitive or easily customizable

Ariday

Reviewed on 29/11/2016

Ariday's Review

NCR is a great system. I loved how it worked with my company, and I have seen it at other big companies like our local grocery shop. It is highly recommended.

Adriana

Reviewed on 23/12/2014

NCR POS Retail @ Play

Pros

Flexibility and customization of software. User-friendly platforms. Tech-driven hardware and tools. Great customer service.

Cons

NCR is very expensive service and product. It's not ideal for small businesses or upstarts.