About Blackboard Collaborate

Blackboard Collaborate is an online collaborative learning solution designed primarily for elementary and high schools, higher education and government facilities. Blackboard Collaborate offers a browser-based web conferencing...

Browse Blackboard Collaborate Reviews

Regina H.
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 13/10/2020

Good for the basics of remote classroom learning

Overall, I think Blackboard is an adequate software for classes to use as far as the basics go (e.g. putting syllabi and class readings online, administering quizzes and tests, grading). The look and feel of the software can be improved upon and it can be made more user-friendly, but overall, it does an okay job.

Pros

I like that it has the basic features needed for this type of software, such as the ability to administer and grade quizzes online. It is pretty intuitive to use, but it could be better.

Cons

The whole program looks and feels very dated. Because it looks so dated, it feels like it has not been upgraded in a while and could be difficult to use. It surprisingly is pretty intuitive to use however, but there are still ways that it could be improved upon. For example, grading assignments can be made an easier task that does not need to be featured on a separate page.

David S.

Reviewed on 15/08/2021

Blackboard Collaborate

Pros

Blackboard has been around for a long time and they certainly have a handle on online educational resources. I used Blackbaord as a student and then as an educator. Customization of courses and assignments is clean looking. There are a few different way to organize lessons, modules and the like to fit your teaching and training preferences, or virtual conferences. Assessing assignments and the built-in grading is a really fluid and offers a few different modes for categorizing activities. I usually use weighted system with some extra credit and compared to other platforms I've used like D2L or Canvas, Blackboard is much easier to work with. I Personally prefer Canvas, but Blackboard is really solid.

*My institution recently switched from Blackboard to D2L.

Cons

Blackboard comes with themes and font styles, but the over all look is kinda of boring, despite the various backgrounds it offers.
Blackboard also offers some embedded applications like Wikis, and other educational resources from publishers like Pearson, and while most of them seem to function, I've had many issues with these connected resources being broken.
Hyper links seemed to constantly break in my announcements after some time, this could be me or an issue with one of my student's browser though, but I thought I'd put it here for people new to this software.

Kelly P.

Reviewed on 14/04/2021

Buggy and Difficult for Students to Use

I really wanted to like Blackboard Collaborate, but there are just too many problems and it gets in the way of the actual learning for my students.

Pros

The software does a good job with video, audio and screen sharing. I'm able to easily must students and see when someone has a question. I like that when I record a session, it makes the recording automatically available for the students.

Cons

I teach at a community college and recently switched to Collaborate for my class. I teach adults who are able to handle most technical issues, but collaborate has been very frustrating to deal with. Several of my students simply quit coming because they kept getting kicked out. I also like to join on both my phone and laptop so I can demonstrate mobile apps, but Collaborate only allows me to log in once. The help section and knowledge base have a lot of content, but I can never find the answers I'm looking for.

Top Blackboard Collaborate Alternatives

• Industry: International Trade & Development

Reviewed on 19/04/2021

Solid collaboration and communication platform

The general experience is that Blackboard Collaborate is a solid tool for collaboration, team and file management, and communication in video conferences.

Pros

Blackboard Collaborate has a broad range of features and comes along with high customizability. The video conferencing is very good, also in comparison with competitors, such as "ZOOM" and "Microsoft Teams".

Cons

Ease of use and ease of development is lacking. Moreover, the then even more necessary customer support is not always as available as needed and responses solving an issue can take a while. A clearer and simplified design of the overlays could tremendously benefit these issues.

Microsoft Teams

Reasons for Switching to Blackboard Collaborate

We were more aware of Blackboard Collaborate. Later, we switched to Microsoft Teams.

Reviewed on 14/09/2020

Blackboard Collaborate Review

Overall, I think Blackboard Collaborate is a very easy program to learn and use. It has it's kinks but it gets the job done at the end of the day and has so many features available with it.

Pros

Blackboard is so easy to use in comparison to other whiteboard applications I have used throughout my work career. It has a slew of features to it including video and voice chats, typing chats, whiteboards with multiple different tools available to use with it, file sharing, and weblink sharing among many other features.

Cons

The biggest and most frequent issue I have run into with the Blackboard program would be the freezing. At least two or three time's a day the program would freeze and you'd have to exit and reload the Blackboard room in order to continue using the program. Sometimes the sound would cut out or the video would be grainy and sometimes attachments and files would not send through on the first go around and you'd have to resend them.

Casscilla C.

Reviewed on 12/02/2020

Strayer Student

I love blackboard this is one of the great software I have ever seen in a college and I am thankful that I will be using it after I am done with each term. It helps me stay on track with my work that is due.

Pros

I like that blackboard has every piece of information that I need in regards to my school assignments. Not having to go to the site and login is a plus when it comes to doing my task. I can also and question and get answers right away with this software.

Cons

I see that they have take the virtual assistant off of the blackboard. Many of us depended on this to help us when the school wasn't open. I am sure if you put Iven back on that we would use him he was such a help.

Jennifer M.

Reviewed on 23/01/2019

Blackboard review

Overall i like using blackboard because it helps me keep all my classes and assignment in one program which is really helpful. And all my grades are shown for each class.

Pros

I really liked using blackboard for all of my classes. It was an easy website or app to go to everyday to check my grade and assignments that are due. It made it easy for me to contact teachers when needed.

Cons

I don’t love the set up of the website when you log in. It takes some getting used to to fully understand it. I also didn’t like how it showed all the classes i took in past semesters first so i had to go to the bottom of the page to find the classes I’m currently enrolled in.

Whitney C.

Reviewed on 16/01/2020

Easy to use and teach with!

Pretty good! It's easy to teach in and learn. Great features to keep my students engaged.

Pros

I like how easy it is to upload my Powerpoints to use to teach with. The Blackboard tools are engaging for the students. The chat is easy to see while I teach.

Cons

I wish that chat could be on for the whole class, but private chat from student to student would be off. It's hard to keep track of private chats with students while class is going on and I need the chat on. BBC as a whole looks a bit dated too. Sometimes my powerpoints mess up or some slides get deleted during my presentations. Not often, but a few times in the past two years.

Diego G.
  • Industry: Media Production

Reviewed on 10/10/2020

Workable, but lacking in reliability

Pros

Great for large groups, has enough features to keep up with the competition including: breakout rooms which work great, screen sharing, whiteboard for demonstrations, moderating for a smooth meeting flow. It's somewhat easy to use, so that's always a plus.

Cons

My biggest problem is reliability and stability. The software has crashed on me quite often, even with a robust and very capable laptop. For a software that's supposed to make collaboration easy, these issues are big drawbacks for me, and it's why we switched back to our original software.

Carly P.

Reviewed on 27/07/2021

Great for schools but could improve in some areas

Overall, Blackboard was a good resource to use to collaborate. I think with some minor updates, this software would improve tremendously.

Pros

I like that there was also an app for this software that was easy to use on cell phones and iPads. I also liked how the feedback was shown on assignments.

Cons

The software was very slow at times and there was a due date tab where due dates we never listed. The calendar view needs to be updated along with the links within Blackboard.

Cassandra E.

Reviewed on 21/11/2019

Sufficient

Overall Blackboard Collaborate has been useful. It allows all of my students to attend class. The chat box is the best way for participants to participate when there is a larger group of participants.

Pros

It is easily integrated into our LMS. That makes it easy to get recordings and for our students to access.

Cons

Only 6 cameras can be shared at a time. There is also a limited number of microphones that can be used simultaneously. The whiteboard tools could also be updated.

• Industry: Online Media
  • Used Monthly for 2+ years

Reviewed on 02/02/2021

Blackboard Collaborate Makes Classes Easier

Overall my experience has been nothing but positive. As a grad student as well as a Teachers's Assistant, Blackboard Collaborate has been truly amazing, and more people should considering engaging with tall the possibilities the software has to offer.

Pros

Blackboard Collaborate was a lifesaver for our school. While many teachers opted to use zoom for class meetings, we however were able to utilize Collaborate as part of or program. With minimal training and several tools for the teachers to use, Collaborate made the Covid semesters a breeze for our university.

Students were able to easily log in and ask questions and listen to lectures with high-quality video and audio. Slides/Video/Documents were easily added to Collaborate for lectures and reviews. Not only were quarantine students able to utilize this software. Students who were able to join in class could follow along and communicate witht their peers as well.

Cons

The only downside is that blackboard is indeed a blackboard. Perhaps a more colorful layout could make the software more friendly.

Reviewed on 30/09/2019

Multi-functional

Overall, Blackboard is usually reliable and easy to use, it just has issues from time to time.

Pros

I love using blackboard because its good for tests, quizzes, homework assignments, and posting notes and info needed.

Cons

I don't like how often it crashes or has weird bugs where grades or assignments aren't available like they're supposed to be.

Richard M.
  • Industry: Printing
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 07/11/2019

SO GREAT for collaborating on projects

We used it for our entire university to allow students, faculty, and others to work on. It was amazing and a much-needed move for the entire school.

Pros

GREAT for collaborating, great for uploading homework/projects that you're working on and collaborating others on group projects. Very helpful and awesome Cloud software that helps students, teachers, and coworkers share work and collaborate on it.

Cons

I wonder what Blackboard will do to avoid getting wiped out by Google Drive and other free apps/programs that do the same or a similar job? It will need to continue to innovate a lot to stay valuable, but as of right now it's great for group projects and uploading work for businesses or schools.

• Used for 1+ year

Reviewed on 06/02/2018

My classes occur in classroom and I use this platform as an virtual educative experience

A good platform for a virtual experience educational

Pros

I enjoy to preparer the scenario previously and while the students login to the platform, I chat with them: "Hey, welcome" and I invite them to change their profile, after that, I share with them my PowerPoint files or I give them the guideline to share their files.
To assign or change the session-role with the students has been a great experience: let them drive the class and expose their jobs from their device, sharing their desktop, letting them to use any software to show it.
Its `no necessary a big bandwidth of Internet, it works fine with medium/low bandwidth, in this way the video and the sound communication are pretty good, considering this.

Cons

I must take time to teach/familiarize previously for the students in the use of the platform, it is not an intuitive software.

Haley J.

Reviewed on 24/07/2019

Great for First Timers

Pros

I've used a variety of Blackboard platforms from school specific portals to more generic uses for younger ages and it's very easy to figure out how to use from the getgo.

Cons

I have definitely had glitches where there is a lag and it's hard to keep up with a string of conversation with collaborators.

Ryan A.
  • Industry: Sports

Reviewed on 05/04/2018

Great for students

Pros

I enjoy the capabilities of this software. I used this platform while enrolled in school and we heavily relied on the grading, scheduling breakdown, and messaging.

Cons

I believe adding a planner to the platform would greatly benefit students. Should investigate this option.

Keith B.

Reviewed on 08/11/2017

Pretty good learning tool for what it's designed for

Helps learn

Pros

I like that you can add so many different modules to it and make the experience more dynamic for all the users

Cons

Sometimes it does feel a bit clunky and messy. Depending on the admin different modules are used in different ways, making it hard to all be on the same page

Reviewed on 13/07/2018

As a student, using Blackboard has been integral to organizing my school materials

Ability to see schoolwork

Pros

I like the user friendliness, especially as it relates to upcoming assignments on the front page of the application.

Cons

I dislike how cluttered it can get when you delve deep into some of the modules within the application.

Reviewed on 25/05/2020

This is the BEST!

Have used this for almost 6 months now, and would not trade doing my homework on it for any other app!

Pros

I absolutely love using Blackboard for my online classes that I am currently taking. It does not take a scientist to figure out how to use it, plus there is a tutorial to show you if you do need help.

Cons

I am just not a fan that you must be connected to wifi or internet to get on, I wish there was someway it could be an offline app. That would help out for some of us that live on ranches and dont get the best service!

Jessica B.
  • Used for 2+ years

Reviewed on 16/09/2019

Used as a Student And Caregiver

I've not only used this program for my own college courses but as an on-call caregiver in my city, I have come across a few education facilities and homes that have used it. The feedback I've gotten from it always was positive and useful! And I can recall never having issue with it when I was in college using it myself.

Pros

I love how flexible this program is for different ages, subjects, and types of classes. This has been a great way to grow education in such a fast paced world that needs information more at its fingertips.

Cons

A long time ago, I use to have some issues with navigation. It seems to have gotten better over time, so no real current issues or concerns of it.

Sophia C.

Reviewed on 11/11/2020

Pretty good for meetings

Blackboard Collaborate is a good platform for distance learning, but its downsides are that it seems specific to that purpose. Zoom is better for allowing you to host meetings for other purposes than distance learning. Blackboard Collaborate could benefit from becoming more versatile.

Pros

I like that I'm able to dial in to a session anonymously or join the meeting room from where I am. Blackboard Collaborate also has the basic features such as mute/unmute and start/stop video. You can also edit the screen with a marker or pen, so it's like Zoom but on the browser rather than a separate app.

Cons

Like Zoom, I worry about the security of the platform. You can still anonymously dial into meetings, so it feels like there is an avenue for hacking. I also dislike that it is restrictive to distance learning, and I think Zoom is definitely better for versatility purposes.

Daniella P.

Reviewed on 10/07/2020

Blackboard

Overall, I don’t mind using Blackboard. I use it daily for my classes, so I have figured out how to navigate the site fairly well.

Pros

I use Blackboard for my own person education. It’s fairly easy to navigate the site, and it offers a number of features that making using it convenient.

Cons

What I dislike about Blackboard is that sometimes it glitches and I am not able to login so I have to close out my browser and reopen. Also the collaborate feature has spotty video and sounds quality.

Kdrion N.
  • Industry: Consumer Services

Reviewed on 12/07/2021

Best Web Conferencing tool for Business / Online classes

My overall experience has been nothing but good. 100% recommend for Online classes.

Pros

I love the fact that we can record meeting sessions and show PowerPoint presentations

Cons

I have no negative feedback towards the software. Its a great program and you can host the best meetings for businesses/ online classes

Abritty A.

Reviewed on 29/09/2019

Easy online classroom tool

It is okay. The software is pretty easy to use for tech-savvy people with good smart phones compared to older learners. I hope it was more user friendly for them!

Pros

I am not a fan of online classrooms but Blackboard collaborate is a fun place for sharing face-to-face (on screen) thoughts. One button to access the video recording is pretty amazing. I like how it works on my computer compared to my phone.

Cons

I hate it on my phone. There were quite a few occasions when I needed to reply to a classmate's video but instead putting it under there posts I posted a completely new thread which made extremely awkward in front of everyone. I wish there were a separate portal for posting replies rather than posting it by clicking the videos of the person I want to reply to.