About ADP TotalSource

ADP TotalSource is a full-service HR solution for SMBs. It provides cloud-based HR technology paired with a team of experts to help businesses handle payroll, employment tax, employee benefits and benefits administration, HR...

4.2
4.1
4.2

Browse ADP TotalSource Reviews

Chasity

Reviewed on 08/11/2017

Best Decision Ever

Easy access to all my HR, Payroll and benefits information at a click of a button. I would highly recommend this software for busy office administrators to simplify day to day tasks. I like knowing that I can access the software remotely when I am traveling and I get the same information as I would if I used it in the office. The accessibility is one of the best things this software has to offer.

Pros

The software is easy to use and makes things so much more simple in day to day operations. I find it more user friendly then the competitors software I have used in the past.

Marisol
  • Industry: Higher Education

Reviewed on 16/10/2019

ADP TotalSource - One stop shop!

Overall, I am highly satisfied with the product and all the features that are available to use.

Pros

I love the fact that all my HR and payroll items are consolidated with one system. I enjoy all the HR features that ADP offers and have used them quite a bit when I come across HR issues!

Cons

I would love to see improvements in ease of use when running reports. I've used ADP Run in the past and loved how easy payroll reports were ran there.

Kenneth
  • Industry: Music

Reviewed on 03/08/2022

ADP Total Source - Not worth the acclaimed accolades in their website

I would rate customer service/support a zero or "N/A" because I cannot rate something that does not exist. I stopped using the customer support ticket system shortly after I surpassed 10 open tickets with an average of 15-30 days of NO response whatsoever. In 4 months, I have not been able to use the background check process efficiently; I have not had anyone assigned to help me implement a performance review process; I have not been able to properly create a new hire checklist for onboarding of new hires, and I have not been able to properly have the paid time off accrual for one group of employees, for example. I have asked many times to give me the access to make the changes myself. I have met with executives, pleading my case. All I get is "we have escalated your request". Yet no action and no solution.

You are often encouraged to go to their knowledge base to figure things out on your own. I do not mind doing so. However, most of the articles are referring to prior versions of the system. So, the steps are incorrect or misleading, forcing me to ask again for clarity only to again get no response for weeks. Sometimes customer support responses are also incorrect.

I regret choosing ADP TotalSource. The best analogy I have is imagine purchasing a Ferrari with all the bells and whistles. However, you end up keeping it in the garage 80% of the time. The other 20% of the time the Ferrari is stuck in stop and go traffic with no access to an interstate.

Pros

Payroll can be processed smoothly. That's about it.

Cons

I have the Administrator role and I lead the implementation process in my organization. What I like the least about the software is that not even the Administrator role has access to do simple tasks such as: add a new reason for a pay change; change a paid time off accrual rule; create a simple way to communicate to an employee they received a change in their pay (you are forced to create an "event", where there are several unnecessary steps that makes the "event" take days to be completed; and create an onboarding task list.

Top ADP TotalSource Alternatives

Meera
  • Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 24/05/2022

Great Traditional Resource

PEO met the company's needs for benefits, leaves and payroll requirements

Pros

Trusted the software, great customer service

Cons

Not customizable, our company has unique fields for performances, time off and other reporting that cannot be built into the total source.

Doug
  • Industry: Packaging & Containers

Reviewed on 08/11/2019

Good details

Received a couple crash courses on where to go to do what, and since then great!

Pros

There is so much information, that you can just navigate around a stumble across great information that is so useful in planning and helping employees. Then to be able to manage from the software, very easy.

Cons

So much details hard to remember where everything is.

Paychex Flex

Reasons for Choosing ADP TotalSource

Cost and wanted benefits package and better service

Reasons for Switching to ADP TotalSource

Service, sales team, and cost
Cindy

Reviewed on 02/11/2021

ADP TotalSource

We have been able to have our workers compensation insurance processed through TotalSource and also our Benefit package offered to employees. Besides these 2 major items, it has also helped with automated PTO time accrued and used.

Pros

We are able to handle all of our employee needs through this one software package. Payroll, Benefits, Workers Compensation, Drug & Background checks. It helps to see all the employees information at a glance.

Cons

We are pleased with all of the services.

Reviewed on 04/05/2021

Consistently easy to use and glitch-free

I recommend this to anyone looking to manage their employees across a larger scale with a software that takes a seamless, simple, effective, not the most basic but no superfluous bells and whistles gumming up the works approach and hits it out of the park with flawless functionality.

Pros

I used this for keeping track of my hours, benefits, and payroll as an employee of a large public school system. The ease of use and organization of this software were well developed and user friendly. Not only was it simple to use without being "in your face" but it was reliable, as in, consistently working and never had an issue or malfunction.

Cons

It could have used a person touch either from the user side where customization is possible or from the company where I had a contact person or human I could have reached if needed...however that is just splitting hairs, besides, if the software never breaks then you dont need tech support or a company contact person, right?

Michelle
  • Industry: Nonprofit Organization Management

Reviewed on 20/07/2020

Need to work on customer service and responsiveness.

It was great in the beginning but seems customer service is declining a bit. They need to know that many small companies are struggling, some short staffed in HR department and would like a little more hand holding through some of the processes .

Pros

Benefits cost savings
Ease of recruitment and on boarding

Cons

A lot of steps- not super user friendly
Customer service/responsiveness especially during these times
Need a little more walk thru on some processes but are just given links to figure out ourselves

Adam

Reviewed on 05/05/2022

ADP Totalsource

Easy to use interface and I spent way less time actioning staff timesheets and leave requests.

Pros

Ease of staff management for payroll and leave.

Cons

Payroll leave accruals have been inaccurate in the past. I believe that is corrected now.

Zeah

Reviewed on 29/08/2018

PEO

We have used ADP TotalSource for several years now. We are a small company that has been hovering around 50 employees and still find the value that a PEO can provide. At time the assistance you get can be lacking depending on the associate assigned to your account and it took us almost a year to get a refund for a cancelled payroll check that they withdrew from our account. Overall they have functioned the way we needed them to and do not have any problems that their competitors would most likely have as well.

Pros

Many more options than previous payroll software.

Cons

When updates are done that provide no additional functionality just changing the look.

Joilyn

Reviewed on 13/03/2018

Very user friendly, easy to navigate. Reports are great. Current on laws and mandates...

The assurance that I am up on all the laws and mandates involving human resources, that I have handled HR issues appropriately, that my payroll is done correctly with the correct withholdings and my PTO is correctly calculated. I like that I have a plethora of reports at my disposal.

Pros

The ease of use and the fact that I know all my "i's" are dotted and my "t's" are crossed when it comes to Federal and State laws and mandates. Payroll is smooth and easy requiring just a little data entry. The new hire process is quick and easy. I love the Handbook creator and am looking forward to starting the training for our employees. I love that if you are not sure what to do you can click on the training video and take a quick tutorial. I also like that instructions come with most forms so nothing is left out and there is very little room for error. I love my payroll rep and HR business partner. If I have a question, they are always quick with an answer and many times have taken the time to walk me through what to do so I understand the process and learn it.

Cons

I have not quite figured out how to use the performance management section under the HR tab. There are still so many functions that I have not used. It took quite a bit of effort to get our PTO to be calculated and to show up on our employees pay stub.

Reviewed on 07/06/2021

One stop solution for your all HR Function

Overall it is a complete one stop solution for your HR function. It made your all the HR function online and easy to access with the guidance of experts.

Pros

It is a complete package to organize all the HR related function in any organization as it is suitable for all the industry. This software helps us to manage human resources completely, employee benefits, Payroll and regulatory compliance. Compare to it's competitors it has more features with regular updates and also dedicated expert guidance. Best thing it is a cloud based.

Cons

I think it didn't have anything which is least likable but yes they can improve their reporting module as sometime we are facing difficulties with customizing report.

• Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 21/06/2019

ADP simplifies my HR

Overall I love the program. It's so convenient and makes it so everything is at my fingertips. Instead of me sending a million emails to human resources or going up to human resources it's all readily available. Let's say it's the weekend and I need a copy of my last two pay stubs. I can just go online and obtain them with only a few clicks.

Pros

I like the fact that this software makes things easy to change. It's super easy to navigate and if I update my address or if I want to change my benefits it's super easy to use. The greatest thing is that I don't have to bug anyone if I just have a short question about my benefits or my time off. Also, my paystubs are all online and easy to view. The system is so easy to use and the site offers great security if you should lose your password.

Cons

I don't like the fact that all of the options aren't available within the program but I'm not sure if that's something the place of business chooses or if it's something within the software. For example, most people I see can check their paid time off and other things. My version doesn't allow me to click on paid time off, but I think that has to do with how the company sets their program up.

Reviewed on 11/07/2019

If your looking for a complete Payroll option, This is it!

ADP also allows employees to request time off, and employers to approve or decline. Highly recommend for small and large companies.

Pros

The designers of ADP knew what they were doing when they created it! ADP has everything an employer needs in a payroll company. Clocking in and out is SUPER simple and creates no hassle! As an employer you are able to do full employee evaluations, as well as allow them to self evaluate! You can also assign employees to review each other which is a great option. The best feature of ADP is that employees has access to their employee profile allowing them to see their pay rate, date of hire, view and print out pay stubs, etc which is easier than having to go through an HR department.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about ADP.

Jesse

Reviewed on 05/12/2018

5 Stars All Around

Regardless of the con listed above, this was an outlying issue, and the overall quality and customer service of this organization has been amazing.

Pros

There are too many pros to write about here. From being able to print off past statements, to being able to view current and past benefits this is an amazing program. The customer service has always been amazing to work with.

Cons

The only issue that I have ever had with them was trying to get a tax issue on my paycheck resolved, there was a lack of communication on the part of customer service, and it took much too long to get the issue resolved.

Pascale

Reviewed on 04/05/2018

Very easy to use

Pros

We use ADP throughout the day every day and I have had nothing but great experiences with it; very easy to use and navigate.

Cons

Just today, actually, I was signed in and then had to restart my computer. When I opened up a new web browser to restart ADP, it kept telling me that I had it open in another screen. ...which I didn't so that was weird.

Response from Automatic Data Processing

Pascale,

Thanks so much for your review! We are pleased to see that ADP TotalSource ranks as a 5-Star product for you.

As for that strange one-time web browser glitch, we agree, that is odd. Please know that this review has been passed along to our TotalSource software team so they are aware of this.

Thank you again for taking time out from supporting your clients to submit this review. We look forward to continuing to offer stellar service to Quorum Review IRB!

Replied 09/05/2018
Tiffany
  • Industry: Transportation/Trucking/Railroad

Reviewed on 08/11/2018

User Friendly Human Resources Tool!

We use ADP Total Source to keep track of all of our human resources needs.

Pros

ADP Total Source is really easy to use. I am able to quickly and easily manage my employees timecards and yearly reviews and it takes all of the guess work out of the process for me. I love that it alerts me if something doesn't look right or when things are changed or become due.

Cons

There are still a lot of functions that are available that I do not know how to use. The scheduling part is a little confusing so I don't use it.

Helen
  • Industry: Wireless

Reviewed on 01/11/2017

This software lets you do so many things

The ease of turning in payroll whenever I am ready without having to make phone calls to do so. Reports at my fingertips, ease of setting up employees, etc.

Pros

Love the ease of putting in payroll, new employees, updating employees, getting reports, terminating employees, etc. Really quick and easy.

Cons

There isn't anything we just don't like about this software. Do wish you could use your right/left arrow keys when inputting payroll. It would save a lot of time. You can use the up/down arrow keys, but not the right/left.

• Industry: Human Resources

Reviewed on 03/10/2018

A HR Generalists Dream

I was with the company when we made the transition over ADP and it was a huge change but it made normal day to day tasks easier and especially helped with time off/ vacation pay, and benefit compliance.

Pros

I loved being able to keep track of all my employee payroll, time off, benefits and calendars in one place. I had been working with a much simpler software system before we made the transition and it was honestly like night and day. We had an issue with not being able to completely track employee time off so some employees were taking more vacation time than they had earned and with ADP it was so much easier to track all employee hours.

Cons

The only real complaint I have is the time it takes to complete certain tasks. I would rather it be careful and thorough but sometimes it can be time consuming

Victoria
  • Industry: Law Practice

Reviewed on 08/11/2017

I needed to change the archaic payroll system that was here before me.

Pros

I mostly like how easy and simple the software is to use. It also gives your employees a lot of control where it would just be time consuming for you, such as their personal information. Employees can update their tax info, direct deposit, request time off, and do all their time clocking. It makes it for a more hands off experience for HR so they can focus on bigger and more important things.

Cons

Sometimes there are items you can not change without ADP's assistance, that puts a delay on certain items. Also, some items work off of pay periods, so to remove an employee I have needed to wait one-two pay periods.

Stacey
  • Industry: Information Services

Reviewed on 14/05/2019

Does the Job

This HRIS system helps with many compliance efforts and works much better if you have a solid on boarding and transition experience.

Pros

It handles many traditional HRIS functions and also stores employee documents. Benefit enrollments and changes are handled completely by ADP. Minimizes the amount of paperwork needed for new hires. Has reporting features that can connect to existing accounting software.

Cons

The look is a bit clunky. It can be very difficult to navigate at times and finding features not regularly used can be very difficult. Lags behind in customization especially around creating documents that require initials, signatures and so forth. ADP is very large and you can easily get lost among the masses and be transferred many times, even when you have a designated rep.

• Industry: Telecommunications

Reviewed on 13/03/2018

Pros

What do you like most about this software?
Ease of use and the fact that ADP has been excellent to work with from implementation to daily HR and Payroll.

Cons

What do you like least about this software?
It would be nice to have an automated benefit renewal web application where the employer can instantly visually see the impact of any substitute health plan on the company and each employee..

Shannon
  • Industry: Veterinary

Reviewed on 13/03/2018

I think overall it is a good investment for the company. Even though it does seem expensive.

The ability to keep all of my employee information in one place.

Pros

I appreciate the ease of use and the availability of information. Information on compensation is available to determine the cost of an employee and to relay that to them. There is also historical data on salary that is helpful to have electronically.

Cons

The customer support seems as if they have too much on their plate. Possibly that they have been given more than they are feasibly able to do.

Reviewed on 20/12/2017

Versatile and Easy to use

I am able to not only clock in and out, but can access pay stubs, estimate pay, complete reviews, update insurance and personal information and even have access to coupons and discounts.

Pros

I like all of the feature that are available for employees in the ADP platform. We are able to complete so many necessary tasks with this platform.

Cons

The software is hard to access from mobile devices. It does not format for mobile viewing and must be used on a desktop/laptop for best viewing.

Sandy

Reviewed on 29/08/2017

Great for Administrators

The administrative portal is very thorough. The user portal is not as intuitive, unfortunately.

Pros

There are a lot of features and fantastic in-depth reporting, both standard and customizable. You can use csv files to upload large batches of data, instead of having to do the data entry one by one.

Cons

It can be difficult to find what you're looking for. The redesigned site is definitely an improvement, and there's a bookmark feature to assist with this issue.